Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 10-25-2013, 06:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 345/see tracker/200

Height: 5'7"

Default Time to introduce myself

Hello everyone!

So I finally felt strong enough to right this post since I've been lurking on this forum for sometime. I'm not new to 3FC and always found this site to be very supportive in my weight loss journey.

A couple of weeks ago I was diagnosed with clinical depression. I had a mental breakdown about two months ago and was contemplating suicide. I've been in therapy for about six weeks and it seems to be helping. Unfortunately last night I had another breakdown (due to the news that I did not get a job I interviewed for) and felt that it was time to write about it here in the hopes that it would help me work through my issues.

Currently I work in a pretty hostile work environment and not to get too much into it, work for someone that is nasty, incompetent, and unfit for her position. To be honest I've had a pretty rough life and should've been in therapy years ago but this current job has brought all of my issues to the surface.

In the beginning I was doing very well with my eating choices and exercise because I felt like it was the only thing I could control. But now that I'm delving deeper and deeper into my issues I find that I've been lacking on both my diet and exercise.

I find it hard to turn to my family and friends about my issues because these are things I have never spoken to them about before and I can tell that they are sad, upset and don't know what to do or say to make things better. What they don't realize is that their words can't make anything better and that I have to work through this myself.

I feel incredibly lost and scared and feel like I have nobody to turn to. I am emotionally and physically exhausted by my depression and some days I can't even get out of bed. I know that exercise and eating healthy will help with my depression but right now I feel like I can't juggle both. I've had issues with food all of my life and knew at someone I would have to address them and things in my past to truly be a healthy person.

I'm sorry this is so long but wanted to introduce myself and hope that somebody could relate to what I'm saying and just share any tips they have with having depression and trying to lose weight/be healthy.

Last edited by NYFLAgirl; 10-25-2013 at 06:53 PM.
NYFLAgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:32 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

Welcome! Amazing losses so far, keep it up!
IdealProteinNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:51 PM   #3  
Badass Brokeleg Bunny

S/C/G: 239.2/199.8/170

Big hugs!

A lot of us can relate, eating disorders and mental health issues go hand in hand. If you think about it, self medicating with food seems like it would be less destructive then alcohol or drugs, so a lot of us have done it. I know I have.

And not having anyone to talk to, well I know I can relate to that as well. But that's what your therapist is for, you can tell her (or him) everything and she won't get offended or think of you differently no matter what you say. It may take time, but through this process you will find peace.

As far as diet and exercise making you feel better ... while that's true, but they can also stress you out. If you can't do both, pick one to focus on for now. I myself had a tough week this week, with so much work that I couldn't get to the gym to exercise even though I really wanted to go, so instead I devoted myself to my diet and that was enough to help me feel good about myself and I still lost a few pounds.

I don't know what you like to do, but think of something that you can treat yourself with. For me it's soaking in a hot bath and I always have lots of oils and bubbles to make it special. Make time to read, or take a walk somewhere pretty... or do something else that will bring you joy. Find a few minutes every day to put yourself first.

And I'll keep my fingers crossed that you find a new job or that your horrorshow boss goes away. You deserve better.

More hugs!
tefrey is offline   Reply With Quote