Living Maintenance - Maintainers Weekly Chat October 21 - October 27

BillBlueEyes
10-21-2013, 06:29 AM
Haven't yet received the call for my new Ford hybrid plug-in. Perhaps the drawing was delayed. Or maybe DW was on the phone. I am not in denial.

We had two absolutely beautiful days here; you'd think summer had returned. I didn't get much done as I'm being kind to a sore back that's demanding TLC. Oh Well; it always comes round after some down time.

paperclippy
10-21-2013, 08:27 AM
Good morning! It is definitely fall here -- highs in the low 60's, trees turning, etc. We took the girls to the park yesterday to have their photos taken by a pro, only to end up with C screaming her head off the entire time. Sigh. On the upside, they slept well last night.

I think we're finally starting to figure them out a little better. I feel more capable of recognizing when they're being overstimulated and need a nap now. DH and I discovered yesterday that they're pretty happy if you just put them down on a blanket with a single toy and leave them alone, instead of needing to constantly play with them or put them on the play mat with lots of toys hanging around. I got a nice video of DH playing with A and making her giggle too.

alinnell
10-21-2013, 08:49 AM
Good morning!

We had a fabulous weekend as well. It was a tad hotter than we'd like, but nowhere near summer temperatures. We had a beautiful dinner Friday night with friends. Saturday DH and I tried a new pizzeria that was soooo good and we bought each other's Christmas presents. Sunday we went to see Captain Phillips (talk about edge of your seat experience!) and then followed it up with dinner under the stars with wonderful food, friends and music.

Glad you're figuring out the girls, Jessica! One thing you'll want to remember as they get older. Make clean up the toys each night a game. That way you won't necessarily step on toys when you get up in the morning and if it is a game, they'll love doing it!

silverbirch
10-21-2013, 09:03 AM
DH and I discovered yesterday that they're pretty happy if you just put them down on a blanket with a single toy and leave them alone

:hug::hug:

ICUwishing
10-21-2013, 09:44 AM
Jessica, I'm 46 and still feel that way. ;) A toy, a blanket, and left alone is just about as good as it gets!

Bill, hope your back gets the TLC it wants! I won't be in denial about winning the Powerball on Wednesday, either. :D

allison, sounds like a terrific weekend. I especially like the part about getting the Christmas presents out of the way, :lol:

Starting the week off with a somewhat broken schedule - I need to go to a funeral service today for a college friend who passed extremely suddenly and unexpectedly. I've been a little introspective over this, as I had been making an effort to reconnect with that group for several months. You just never know how much time you have left to do the things you want to do. And how much time you waste on things that others think you *should* do, yet have zero value to your own life.

Mudpie
10-21-2013, 09:55 AM
Good morning! I am going to be :coffee: all week I think. I clean forgot which moving company I hired and couldn't find any confirmation. Finally think I've got the name and will keep trying to call them to confirm. :yikes: I am NOT panicking :lol:

ONE HOUSE! Gotta keep the goal in mind as we trudge forward. One step at a time and we will get there.

Dagmar :tired: but :cool:

traveling michele
10-21-2013, 10:15 AM
Becky-- sorry to hear about your old friend.

Jessica-- oh-- the professional photos-- I only had one at a time and they were always screaming-- could be pretty comical.... sorry! Glad to hear you are figuring things out otherwise.

Nice weekend for me albeit a quiet one. I spent it recovering from the book fair. I worked out twice Saturday and Sunday, shopped, did stuff at home, and started watching BREAKING BAD! Oh my! I'm hooked! I was trying not to binge watch so I would do a certain amount of stuff around the house and then watch an episode. I think I'll keep doing that-- my house should end up cleaner than ever! I *only* watched 5 episodes between Friday night and Sunday night so not too bad.

I don't want to jinx it but my weight is down some. I'm not changing my ticker yet. I won't be able to exercise as much during the week so it may shift up some but I'm crossing my fingers it won't!

Megan1982
10-21-2013, 11:41 AM
Morning all,

Shannon, we made it to the weekend! Now we have to start all over again, lol. Fall is finally really and truly here. The AC is off and the windows are open. BF did some work in the yard over the weekend and took old junk to amnesty day at the dump, after only 3 months of the old broken TV sitting in the living room and the old inoperable grill sitting next to the new grill on the porch. :dizzy: Now if he would just pressure wash the house and trim the trees and vines...

I went to the big city on Saturday to go to Hobby Lobby and thrift stores for play props and materials to make props. I had lunch with a friend who I don't see often enough consider she only lives 1.5 hours away. It was so nice so catch up with her, it made the long trip bearable in my stressed and sleep deprived state. I also picked up some items to craft my nieces' Christmas presents - trying to start early this year. Saturday there was a film festival in our little town and some friends had tickets. I was rather excited. We don't get much culture, lol. At intermission BF & our friends decided they didn't like it and wanted to leave. What? I was kind of upset. They weren't all the best films ever made but they were interesting, some were quite thought-provoking and well done. Sigh. Next time I'm going with my artsy friends.

I've been doing well eating mindfully until last week. I overate a bit, and knew I was doing it, but was too tired to care, and extra costume meetings cut some dog walking activities out. The busy-ness won't stop (just under 4 weeks to opening night! oh and that work thing too) but I will try to be conscious of remaining mindful. I'm taking 1/2 day from work today to work on things and try to preserve sanity, and am looking forward to making a yoga class for the first time in 3 weeks.

Michele, sometimes it's very nice to have a weekend to catch up at home, on workouts, etc. One day I will try Breaking Bad. I have to watch season 3 of Downton Abbey first.

Allison, great job being ahead of the game for Christmas! I'm trying to be better this year. I always get behind. Of course this year I think my Amazon prime membership will come in handy.

Bill, I'm certain they call about your new car any minute. But maybe you shouldn't cancel any appointments to sit by the phone waiting. ;)

Jessica, I'm glad the whole family has gotten a little more sleep and you've had a good few days. There is a steep learning curve to parenting, or so I'm told.

Dagmar, you are nicer than me. I would probably "lose" a couple of my BF's 8+ year old boxes on that move after cursory inspection that they didn't contain birth certificates etc. You will get there, as you said, one step at a time. Hang in there!

Becky, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. :hug:

alinnell
10-21-2013, 11:59 AM
Allison, great job being ahead of the game for Christmas! I'm trying to be better this year. I always get behind. Of course this year I think my Amazon prime membership will come in handy.

I don't know if it was good or not. It involved a jewelry store...and it really added to my American Express balance after DD just charged her tuition. Yikes! And it was technically DH's fault. He needed a battery changed in his watch. While one employee did that the other started showing him things...and then he chose! And I wasn't about to go out myself empty handed!

Mudpie
10-22-2013, 05:28 AM
I spoke with the movers directly yesterday - that was a big relief. My "vintage" teak buffet and hutch were delivered to the new house last night. I cleaned out the fridge while I waited - it's a great fridge with all sorts of adjustable shelves - and did a load of "laundry" (dropcloths mostly) to check if the washer and dryer work. They do! The dryer is 20 years old so that was a worry. I can replace it if it breaks but not right now please! Have to still check the stove and dishwasher on the weekend and we're good!

DH continues to pack up his stuff and secretly (he thinks) drink beer in the downstairs. He is coping with a lot of stuff so I'm not nagging about the weight or other bad habits. He keeps saying "new house, new life" and I think I will hold him to that.

I'm finally packing one room at a time. Have slightly decreased my caffeine intake :hyper: :coffee: so was able to nap yesterday afternoon and then focus.

Dagmar :yoga:

Megan1982
10-22-2013, 09:14 AM
Morning all,

It's gray and dreary here and my activities with our local middle schoolers science education program was postponed. I'm telling myself I *will* use the yoga ball under my desk to do some core during lunch, since it's unlikely the sky will clear out (although if it does, I'll go for a walk outside). I don't mind since the weather is still cooler and fall-like.

Actually I just switched to sitting on the yoga ball instead of my desk chair, since that's what it's there for.

Yesterday I took the afternoon off and devoted myself to my health (sanity? seems like the same thing). I did some play stuff, took a 1.5 hour nap, went to yoga for the first time in 3 weeks, then walked the dog 3.5 miles, followed by dinner, cooked a bunch of veggies, and almost 8 hours of sleep. Though I walked the dog over the weekend, I could feel how unused to moving my body was during yoga. Remember when I told myself I felt so strong after the end of field season, I would not get out of shape? That was only about a month ago. I can do this, one step at a time, and I am having a lot of fun with this play, which I lose sight of when I'm tired. It did feel good to get the rest.

Allison, it sounds like those salespeople are good at their jobs. Did you get something pretty and sparkly for Christmas? ;)

Dagmar, way to make some progress. As you said, one step at a time.

Bill, did they call yet?!

How is everyone else doing this Tuesday?

alinnell
10-22-2013, 09:28 AM
Allison, it sounds like those salespeople are good at their jobs. Did you get something pretty and sparkly for Christmas?

Oh, yes, quite pretty and sparkly. I don't wear a lot of jewelry. I pretty much dislike necklaces and wear them only on occasion. I like bracelets but don't have any special ones. I wear my wedding ring and a ring we got on a cruise in the Virgin Islands. Funny thing about that ring. When we bought it we really couldn't see the diamonds well as the lights in the jewelry shop were so glaring. Once they sized it and we got back to the ship I was showing it off and someone remarked "oh, ten diamonds for ten years" because we were celebrating our 10th anniversary. So Saturday I found a ring I liked (which probably won't be an everyday ring) and although I really need to double check my count with a magnifying glass (my close eyesight is still not "there") I think there are 25 diamonds (and this is our 25th year of marriage). It fits on my pinky finger and has three bands that are in an "X" design. I'll get a photo at Christmas and show it to you. DH got a Rado watch.

We're having newspaper delivery problems here. Last week I didn't get a paper twice. I sent in a complaint and asked what the "goal" was for delivery. 6 AM weekdays, 7 AM Saturday and 8 AM Sunday. Sunday was the ONLY day they delivered before they had to (but only by 15 minutes). Gona are my relaxing mornings reading the paper and doing the crossword. I leave for work at 6:30 and yesterday the paper hadn't arrived by then. So far today, not here either. I'll keep track and send in another complaint this weekend.

traveling michele
10-22-2013, 10:16 AM
Megan-- your sanity afternoon sounds wonderful. Glad you could take the time.

Allison-- would love to see the ring! It sounds pretty!
What is a Rado watch?

Dagmar-- keep on keeping on....

My Tuesday will hopefully be a good one. One of my lighter days with classes so I can hopefully catch up on some of the work that got put aside for book fair. My weight is edging upwards again so I'm hoping to halt that somehow-- sheer willpower?

alinnell
10-22-2013, 10:36 AM
Michele~Rado is a watch brand. We each have one now and why he needed another I have no idea other than the sales lady was REALLY good! He now has four nice watches (well, will have four at Christmas!). Rado (http://www.rado.com/en/)

I have to add that the diamonds on the new ring are quite small and my eyesight is still troubling me. I went to the optometrist to get bifocal contacts but he said they don't make soft bifocal contacts for people with astigmatism so he's having me do the mono vision thing again (one eye fitted for distance and one eye fitted for close). The distance is fine (it uses the dominant eye) but the close is bad and as I found the other night, driving in the dark with mono vision is horrible. I am getting bifocal glasses so hopefully when I get those I'll be able to read a bit better.

Mudpie
10-22-2013, 05:45 PM
Lyle Lovett and John Hiatt are coming to TO in February - :woohoo: I LOVE these guys together - like sittin' in the kitchen with a couple of old friends, sippin' on the bourbon and shootin' the sh*t.

Going to take time out from my packing and worrying about plumbing chores to see if I can snag myself a ticket. DH does NOT like either performer so I go alone. I've seen Lyle 5 times and I like him more each time. I don't have any great interest in country music except for him.

And Massey Hall is one of the best acoustic venues in North America. This will be a real treat! I need something like this right now!

Dagmar :tired:

traveling michele
10-22-2013, 05:55 PM
Lyle Lovett and John Hiatt are coming to TO in February - :woohoo: I LOVE these guys together - like sittin' in the kitchen with a couple of old friends, sippin' on the bourbon and shootin' the sh*t.

Going to take time out from my packing and worrying about plumbing chores to see if I can snag myself a ticket. DH does NOT like either performer so I go alone. I've seen Lyle 5 times and I like him more each time. I don't have any great interest in country music except for him.

And Massey Hall is one of the best acoustic venues in North America. This will be a real treat! I need something like this right now!

I was once in an elevator with Lyle Lovett! We exchanged a few words!!:dizzy:
I've never heard of the other guy-- good luck getting tickets!

Mudpie
10-23-2013, 05:19 AM
Michele http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hiatt

He is well-known but not hugely successful as a performer - more someone who writes songs that become hits for others. He's another storyteller so he and Lyle do a lot of chatting in between songs.

I find Lyle Lovett to be (weirdly) sexy in a very "gentlemanly" way. John Hiatt not so much. :lol:

Dagmar :dizzy:

Megan1982
10-23-2013, 08:27 AM
Morning all,

We went straight from a little bit of cooler weather into fall. I actually needed a fleece pullover to walk the dog this AM. I love comfy cozy clothes. :cloud9: After I thought about it while posting yesterday AM, I sat on my yoga ball as an office chair for several hours, did some abs with it during my lunch break, even went on a short walk at lunch and then took the dog for a long walk at home. And ate mindfully yesterday. Pat on back. See, I can keep it together. I have no time for exercise today but should be moving around somewhat for work and I've packed a healthy lunch, snacks, and dinner, since I don't have time to go home later. I might have 30 minutes so I brought my sneakers so I can walk then. I also remembered that TOM is on its way. No wonder I want to eat the house and feel poofy. (Sorry, Bill. It's the truth.)

Dagmar, that sounds like a fun concert and the perfect diversion for you right now. Do you have to get tickets in person or can you order them online? When would the show be? Hope you get a ticket!

Allison, I hope your new glasses help you see better up close. Is it that your "close" vision eye needs a new/different prescription?

It's that time again. Halloween is coming! I never get trick or treaters at my house, so I don't need to bring home any candy. That alone helps me stay away from the treats, so if I have one or two at work, it's not a huge deal. Is anyone else facing any big sugar bomb obstacles for Halloween? Of course US Thanksgiving the holiday slew are soon to follow... are my fellow maintainers starting to think about these things now or are they still in the back of your minds?

alinnell
10-23-2013, 10:01 AM
Allison, I hope your new glasses help you see better up close. Is it that your "close" vision eye needs a new/different prescription?

Last spring I noticed my distance vision was horrible. I went to the optometrist and got new contacts and now my distance vision is wonderful but I found I really needed reading glasses to see anything close (including the computer). I really wanted bifocal contacts but no one (apparently) makes a soft bifocal contact for people with astigmatism. So he fit me with mono vision lenses (left far, right close). It's been a week now and I feel at times I still grab my reading glasses. Obviously it isn't working. I don't really want to wear glasses (the bifocal glasses are for my mornings when I first wake up). The way I feel is that my dominant eye (left) really wants to be dominant on everything and it's just not working right.

Meanwhile we're getting more and more busy at work and now my DH wants me to start quoting jobs. Ugh. I don't feel qualified to do that.

traveling michele
10-23-2013, 10:03 AM
Megan,
I've been thinking about the upcoming holidays/ food obstacles. I started the year with my weight higher than I wanted and I've battled it all year. I'm only slightly under where I was then and I fear the holidays could easily put me even higher. This is the time to buckle down before the you know what hits the fan.

silverbirch
10-23-2013, 11:07 AM
This is the time to buckle down before the you know what hits the fan. :o

Blancmange (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blancmange)is what we say in this household. YMMV. :rofl:

BillBlueEyes
10-23-2013, 11:23 AM
This is the time to buckle down before the you know what hits the fan.:o

Blancmange (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blancmange)is what we say in this household. YMMV. :rofl:

"Blancmange" sounds so much better than "vanilla pudding." The French know how to do language.

silverbirch
10-23-2013, 11:46 AM
Pink blancmange (not white) is what many, many British schoolchildren had as the pudding part of school dinners during the 60s, 70s and maybe beyond. The name is French but the experience ... my dear, I cannot begin to explain the experience ...

Mudpie
10-23-2013, 04:02 PM
Fourth row centre floor ticket!!! Totally too awesome!!!

Dagmar :dance:

ICUwishing
10-24-2013, 08:32 AM
:woohoo: dagmar!!!

Silver, now you have me thinking of the Pink Floyd song "We don't need no education". Are you implying that perhaps kids weren't eating their meat so that they could avoid the pudding? ;)

allison, I've also gotten to the tipping point where there are certain near-vision things that I simply cannot do without glasses. My job happens to be one of them; I have a specialized pair that are single-vision and solely for the distance to my computer monitor. I feel for you!

megan - I'm impressed by your arrangement of your office space. Yes, you certainly CAN do this! Re the Halloween stuff - haven't we always had a thread here for the anti-Halloween candy pledge? I'm amazed at how fast the year is running out. It's like the calendar did a swing around the sun for accelerating out of the solar system. :eek:

Siding project appears to be under way again; I see a lot of replaced boards. Boy, I hope the paint covers as well as they think it will - the new boards are only primed. Given that it got below freezing last night, methinks they'd better get their buns in gear and finish this thing. :s:

alinnell
10-24-2013, 09:33 AM
For the first time in a week my newspaper was delivered on time! Unfortunately it took me twice as long to read it as I attempted to focus on the words.

And what does it say about me that I'm eating a 100-calorie bag of popcorn for breakfast?

alinnell
10-24-2013, 11:24 AM
The ring (I brought it in to work to use a magnifier to see how many diamonds--I'm still not sure as they are very small).
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z104/alinnell/36936f35-ea03-44af-8ae6-8e86dd7512cf.jpg (http://s190.photobucket.com/user/alinnell/media/36936f35-ea03-44af-8ae6-8e86dd7512cf.jpg.html)

Megan1982
10-24-2013, 01:30 PM
Oooh, pretty Allison! We all eat popcorn for breakfast occasionally. Just like ice cream for dinner once in a blue moon is ok (actually, popcorn is fairly healthy and a lot better for you than ice cream).

Dagmar, great seats!!! When is the show!

Becky, I agree, time seems to be moving forward at warp speed. Where does it go?

Today I got my delivery of fresh Gulf white shrimp that came off the boat yesterday. We got a delivery at work because we know the captain. He's also my source for our local tupelo honey that he harvests in the spring, and will be delivering my yearly supply any day now. Mmm. I'm not sure if the shrimp will make it to the table tonight because I have rehearsal and need to walk the dog first, but it sounds like a great Friday dinner. :drool:

saef
10-24-2013, 02:38 PM
"She's as sweet as Tupelo Honey ... just like honey from the bees ..."

I wasn't sure that this stuff existed in real life till I tasted Tupelo Honey from a tiny spoon in a shop in Charleston, SC that sold nothing but honey. I liked it, but didn't buy any.

I like the sound of the shrimp, too.

Basically, though, I'm just glad to read all your posts -- because when I tried to get on 3FC earlier this morning, I kept getting a message that the site didn't exist anymore or something. Maybe down for maintenance?

Megan1982
10-24-2013, 03:11 PM
Oh no, Saef. We're here! I don't think I tried to log on this AM.

I never paid much attention to honey types until I moved here and everyone kept pushing this local tupelo stuff. Sure it was tasty... it wasn't until eating it for a few years and then trying something else that I realized I'd developed the ability to taste (and see) the difference in honey, at least between tupelo and other types. Tupelo is very light in color and taste, and is supposedly the lowest GI honey. Wildflower honey tastes different to me, though not bad, but I prefer tupelo now. I drink it in tea in the winter if my throat is scratchy and have a delicious honey garlic pork chop marinade we love. My former boss sweetened his coffee with tupelo honey instead of sugar. Since tupelo trees and endemic to this area in the southeast US it's definitely a regional specialty.

Mudpie
10-24-2013, 07:19 PM
For the first time in a week my newspaper was delivered on time! Unfortunately it took me twice as long to read it as I attempted to focus on the words.

And what does it say about me that I'm eating a 100-calorie bag of popcorn for breakfast?

We just had bacon and bread for dinner. The vegetable was ketchup a la George Bush Sr. What does that say about me?

paperclippy
10-25-2013, 08:20 AM
LOL at the funny food choices. I had pancakes and sausage for breakfast, except they were whole grain "flapjacks" and morningstar farms veggie sausage. I started buying this brand of pancake mix called "Kodiak Cakes." It's got this hilarious story on the box about how people coopted big hearty whole grain lumberjack flapjacks and turned them into weak limp pancakes.

I took the afternoon off work yesterday to help DH with the babies. Afternoon was a mix of them being okay and them refusing to nap -- I ended up rocking C to sleep for two different naps, which I usually never need to do. Then bedtime was a massive disaster. A screamed for an hour and a half and refused to eat and refused to sleep, then eventually had a big #2, ate, screamed some more, let out a bunch of big burps and passed a whole lot of stinky gas, and passed out. C just fussed for a really long time before going to sleep. DH and I had to keep trading babies because we both lost patience with A really quickly.

In any case I am having DH make a doctor appointment for them today. A has been coughing some and I'm pretty sure it's because of her reflux but feel better getting it checked out, esp. since it's Friday and their office will be closed on the weekend. I'm afraid that their reflux med is no longer working. There are a couple options but the one they are on (zantac) is the safest and most well-studied....unfortunately it's also been shown in studies to suddenly stop working. Not sure which is worse -- switching to another medication that may have side effects down the line, or having them be terribly uncomfortable and not sleep well for the next 2-3 months until they grow out of it. I would think interrupted sleep would be a cause of developmental side effects too.

Anyway, I'm waiting to hear from DH, who is probably trying to get them down for their nap right now.

Megan1982
10-25-2013, 08:21 AM
We just had bacon and bread for dinner. The vegetable was ketchup a la George Bush Sr. What does that say about me?

I think it says exactly as you indicted with your smilie, Dagmar. That you're tired. You've been busy and stressed with your renovations, moving, on top of your usual workload, and DH hasn't been the most helpful or supportive at times.

I'm not sure with Allison, but hey, it's just popcorn. Maybe something to do with your newly emptied nest?

We're human beings. We don't eat perfectly all the time. I personally try to follow a 90/10 rule because the 80/20 rule is too lax for my body, but the 80/20 idea is a good one. It acknowledges that we can't be perfect all the time.

If you ladies need to vent, vent away. Pull up a chair and here's a bowl of spiced mixed nuts, because they're chock full of vitamins and minerals and taste delicious in the fall. Have a hot cup of tea. Take a few deep breaths. That goes for anyone! Perhaps "take care of yourself" Friday is in order?

Jessica, we posted at the same time. Sorry the girls are having more sleep troubles. I had MF "sausage" for breakfast, too! I made an "egg mcmuffin" with a light English muffin, 1 egg, and a MF patty.

ICUwishing
10-25-2013, 08:32 AM
I am in NO position to comment about what choices my friends are making for breakfast and dinner! :lol: I'm just going to say it's good not to be alone. :D

Looking forward to tonight - we are going to Ann Arbor to hear Andras Schiff perform the Bach Goldberg Variations. It's one of those things that my piano teacher told me was a "must see"; I've been waiting something like 8 years to get the opportunity. Not too many pianists want to tackle this one!

traveling michele
10-25-2013, 10:11 AM
Jessica-- I hope you get some relief from the girls. They truly grow up all too fast. We are dealing with our youngest dd's first fender bender. We didn't think the guy would file a claim as dd swears there was barely a scratch on his car but we just got notification that a claim was made. Sigh.

Dh returns tomorrow night from China but he's only going to be here a week this time before he heads back. He's been battling food poisoning so I suspect he's going to be jet lagged/ wiped out the whole week he's here.

My stupid weight has gone up 1/2 a pound every single day since I reported it lower here (knew I would jinx it). So horribly frustrating and trying not to throw in the towel. I've not felt 100% so I'm hoping it's all related somehow.

CherryPie99
10-25-2013, 11:32 AM
Hi guys - remember me?

It's been a little while and if anyone was thinking or wondering about me, I apologize for not checking in.

In September I went on vaca to a cabin in PA with DH and the dogs. We had a great time. But I received some discouraging medical news. Nothing dramatic, but enough to upset me.

I ate a lot while on vacation - and then when I got back, I couldn't stop eating. And I had - well, a complete meltdown.

I wanted to get on here and talk about it, but I just couldn't. I was so ashamed and lost. I knew you guys would understand and be supportive but I still couldn't do it.

The eating and meltdown lasted only a short time, but the emotional after-effects have continued. I just feel - lost. Like I'm floundering. There is nothing WRONG, per se, but I just feel like my mojo has been stolen.

I have checked in here regularly and wanted to post but I just could not do it. But I am here today and decided to jump back in.

Jen

alinnell
10-25-2013, 11:55 AM
Oh, Jen, I'm sorry you feel like your MOJO has been ripped away. A lot of us are struggling right now so we understand. Remember that this is the place to come and vent and have a shoulder to cry on. Glad you're back!

traveling michele
10-25-2013, 12:55 PM
I've been following your blog Jen but I've missed you here. Hope you can find the support and wisdom you need to get your mojo back.

saef
10-25-2013, 01:22 PM
Jen, oh thank goodness, there you are. Yes, I missed you. I know I asked after you here at least once. But I figured you just dropped off because ... well, you know, people do silly things like swear they'll spend less time on the Internet ... or they get caught up in another online community and spend less time on one they previously visited ... or who knows what?

I understand about the meltdown. I'm talking myself away from the brink of one today, with a five-pound regain since going back to a rather intense work schedule after a week on vacation. I can feel the pace accelerating as I'm going to have to train three new hires, complete all the year-end evaluations for my direct reports and write a whole mess of research that fell to me since we were down two people. I am not going to be much fun to be around till the beginning of December, when our 2014 begins. (Yeah, company's fiscal years are weird.)

Talk to me more about your feeling "lost." You mean, having less direction or purpose? Questioning your identity? Wondering what it's all about, and why we're doing all of this?

I think that, too. Like why do I feel dutiful but not particularly happy most of the time. And what is all this labor for?

CherryPie99
10-25-2013, 03:59 PM
Talk to me more about your feeling "lost." You mean, having less direction or purpose? Questioning your identity? Wondering what it's all about, and why we're doing all of this?

Yes, yes and YES! As always you are right on the money. I don't know if it's because I have had such rigid and clear cut goals for the last 3 years - first losing and then maintaining and now I'm like - "Ok, what now?" - or what.

I'm not unhappy. I'm just looking for purpose I guess - or meaning. And I wonder if I will FOREVER be held hostage by my rigidity and constantly judging myself by the number on the scale.

I wonder if I will ever be able to eat without questioning and judging what I am doing.

I wonder if I will ever skip a workout without berating myself for days afterwards or "punishing" myself by an extra hard workout the next day.

Sometimes I think I am just nuts.

Jen

JayZeeJay
10-25-2013, 06:16 PM
I wonder if I will ever be able to eat without questioning and judging what I am doing.

I wonder if I will ever skip a workout without berating myself for days afterwards or "punishing" myself by an extra hard workout the next day.

Jen

Glad to see you back! But I'm sorry to hear of your meltdown. And of the discouraging news that precipitated it. Is it anything you want to or feel comfortable talking about?

Right now, the answer to these questions for me is "probably not". Or maybe, "not until I'm 80".

I think that, too. Like why do I feel dutiful but not particularly happy most of the time. And what is all this labor for?

Yes yes. The satisfaction of finally coming out the other side after slogging through a massive project is the closest thing to happiness that I have felt recently. But it's not happiness, it's more a feeling of relief. Or the temporary lifting of guilt.

Oh, Jen, I'm sorry you feel like your MOJO has been ripped away. A lot of us are struggling right now so we understand. Remember that this is the place to come and vent and have a shoulder to cry on. Glad you're back!

I will raise my hand to be counted as one of the struggling peeps. After a week of rigid calorie counting and regular, substantial exercise, I am up another 2 pounds. I am struggling with the mechanisms of weight loss/control, and also with the emotional baggage that accompanies it.

Mudpie
10-26-2013, 01:04 PM
One of my cats appears to have been replaced by a small leopard - such caterwauling. Surely she isn't trying to suggest it's DINNER time (it's 1:04 p.m. and they eat at around 4:30). :lol:

Dagmar :cool:

traveling michele
10-26-2013, 05:53 PM
My cats do that! Probably once a day one of them inexplicably starts wailing. Sounds like they're being tortured!

alinnell
10-26-2013, 06:19 PM
DH and I took Culley, the office cat, to the vet today. He was due for his rabies shot and never had any of the other normal cat vaccinations. We had him tested to see if he had feline leukemia and he's negative, so now he's vaccinated against it. Now, if should ever need to, we can bring him home and feel safe that he doesn't have anything he can give our house cats. The vet vista was much easier than I imagined. He was actually civil to the vet and her assistant! He hardly cried at all in the car (not at all what I get from my house cats!).

On another note, Chico refused breakfast this morning. He's still acting just fine but simply wouldn't eat. I picked up some chicken and sweet potatoes and just got finished cooking that up for his meals for the next few days. This is sad. I hope this isn't a signal for the inevitable.

Mudpie
10-27-2013, 06:24 AM
Allison :hug: re Chico. Hope he's here with you awhile longer.

Dagmar

traveling michele
10-27-2013, 10:08 AM
Puppy hugs and kisses to Chico.

alinnell
10-27-2013, 11:42 AM
Chico is acting more chipper this morning and ate his breakfast (minus kibble) with no complaint. The only problem is he had a gagging cough when he woke up so I think the lung mets are starting to bother him. He sees the vet on Friday so we'll see if it is time to start lasix. But after the cough he had enough in him to chase the cat, so I think overall he's doing okay. I'll simply spoil him with home cooked food for a while.