Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 10-17-2013, 07:17 PM   #1  

Default IVF weight gain---is it just water retention?

I'm hoping one of you ladies here might have used IVF to get pregnant successfully.

I'm currently on meds for IVF and the bloat and water retention are ridiculous (and it's only been a week, besides the BCP for 2 weeks).

I am on fertility websites but no one there worries about weight the same way people here do.

While I hope the IVF cycle works the first time around, I can't keep gaining weight (mentally or physically) for nothing. I can't handle the stress of thinking about it or the feeling of it. And of course, I don't want people to think I'm packing the pounds back on (or worse, think the bloat is a pregnant belly...).

Any insight or advice would be great.
Thank you.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:31 PM   #2  

Hi elvislover,

I've done 2 IVF's and I'm starting my third. The first two were unsuccessful--and I won't pretend: I didn't handle it very well. I lost 60 pounds before starting the first IVF and only gained a few pounds during the treatment--max 5 pounds. It was the psychological issues after the failed attempts that got me. I put back on every pound I lost, plus 5 more.

IMHO: Don't worry about the couple of pounds during treatment. If the IVF works you'll be gaining weight for the next 9 months. If it doesn't work, you can get the 5 pounds back off again fairly quickly.

Please prepare yourself to deal with the psychological issues that can come after a failed IVF. They suck and people around you just tend to make you feel worse. They do not understand and they inevitably say stupid things like "Everything happens for a reason" or "If it's meant to be, it'll happen" or "It'll happen when you least expect it" None of these (and a thousand more stupid "helpful" statements) will be of any comfort and will probably send you into a serious bout of depression.

I do wish you the absolute best of luck, *fingers crossed* and if you want to talk about anything feel free to message me.

Last edited by Kaitie9399; 10-17-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Kaitie9399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:10 PM   #3  

Thanks so much, Kaitie.

I had a dose of the disappointment you referenced with the 3 failed IUIs I had. Each month the heartache got worse and worse. I did well weight-wise as I stayed on plan almost perfectly but in the last 2 months with all of the disappointment plus adding estrogen into the mix, I did start eating to calm and soothe my nerves (it didn't help one bit).

I have until the end of the year to get pregnant (it was supposed to be by September but I got a 3 month extension from my oncologist and then it's hysterectomy time).

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. I hope your cycle works this month and that mine does too and we can share our experiences together.

Baby dust to us!!

Last edited by elvislover324; 10-17-2013 at 09:10 PM.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote