Ideal Protein Diet - Is Rotisserie chicken allowed in phase 1

wantanewme
10-15-2013, 02:28 PM
Hey all!
I'm having one of those days and am in no mood to cook. I was thinking about picking up a rotisserie chicken and serving with roasted asparagus and a salad. Of course I won't be eating the skin. Is this allowed in phase 1? Thanks in advance.

lilkel244
10-15-2013, 02:43 PM
I had it once and my coach told me not to again because they are often injected with either sugar or salt or both. I will admit I retained water like crazy after I ate it and was up the next day so I believed her! I think in a pinch its can be better then totally being off plan, but it is hard to know what its been soaked in and whats been rubbed on it!

sarahBell
10-15-2013, 02:48 PM
i never thought abt sugar being injected into it. I love to roast my own chickens! but when I am in no mood to cook then it's a different ball game

Avalon1957
10-15-2013, 02:48 PM
The ones from the Supermarket (Giant, Safeway, etc) are loaded with salt and sometimes sugar too (honey glazed or bbq).

This is a no-no on phase 1

Just buy some raw turkey breasts or ground turkey breasts and pop them in a pan with a bit of water (no oil)

slow2lose
10-15-2013, 02:54 PM
What about Swiss Chalet in Canada? I think every IPer in Canada has lived on Swiss Chalet at some point, even my Coach does!

wantanewme
10-15-2013, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the replies. I think I will bake some tilapia with lemon and spices instead.

Slow2lose? What's Swiss chalet?

crazynette826
10-15-2013, 03:28 PM
I've used the ones from Costco. Not all the time, but I think they work in a pinch. I haven't ever noticed a gain following using them.

sarahBell
10-15-2013, 03:42 PM
We will have a rotisserie chicken when we take a trip to St.Paul. There is a place we love to eat it is Middle Eastern-Greek-American food. Everything is made fresh, from scratch and YUMMY!! That is the only place we get it.

lisa32989
10-15-2013, 03:48 PM
The label is usually on the container (or if from a deli, ask!). It will list what it is rubbed or injected with.

Many whole chickens (even raw!) are injected.

Be sure to read labels!

We buy ours from a farmer. And I have a countertop rotisserie. Done in 35-45 mins. It was well worth it (ebay purchase!)

sarahBell
10-15-2013, 03:50 PM
The label is usually on the container (or if from a deli, ask!). It will list what it is rubbed or injected with.

Many whole chickens (even raw!) are injected.

Be sure to read labels!

We buy ours from a farmer. And I have a countertop rotisserie. Done in 35-45 mins. It was well worth it (ebay purchase!)

We buy our from a butcher who slaughters the chickens himself. They are free range chickens too- very fresh and no extra additives either!

sonyainva
12-03-2013, 06:19 AM
That's why I love this site. I lost most off my weight eating from the local Peruvian chicken, I need to lose 15 again, now I know not eat it.

Sincerely

shrinkingsusie
12-03-2013, 08:03 AM
If it is a pre-cooked one from a grocery store, be careful. I have seen them throw them in a deep-fryer for a few minutes before putting them on the rotisserie so they cook faster!

LUCCILOVE
12-03-2013, 08:25 AM
The Whole Foods near me have a plain no salt no anything rotessirie chicken. The label is right on it and I asked them if they add pepper, salt, or sugar to it and they said no. We have head it. It is plain. I use it if I really dont want to cook. It is on the dry side.

dak1lls
12-03-2013, 08:27 AM
I love rotisserie chicken. We do them on our grill all summer. It's a little cold here now, so no more for a while. I checked them out at some local groceries and all seem to have added sugar. Darn. Ours are always juicy and yummy. We don't add anything, so I assume they get dry if overcooked. This is making me hungry now. :)

trishthayer
12-03-2013, 09:20 AM
My clinic allows them once a week. Crazy how everyone's clinic is so different.