General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-15-2013, 10:51 AM   #1  
Starting over

S/C/G: 195/185/140

Height: 5'3"

Default Coursera (online diet and diabetes courses)

I was just wondering if anyone has ever taken a free online course at coursera.org? I've signed up for the New Nordic Diet and I saw that there is one all about diabetes. Maybe a bit technical but interesting...and hopefully motivating!

(there are lots of interesting courses, but those were the two diet related ones I saw)
veggiedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

I have taken some on Udacity, coursera and edX. Coursera offered a nutrition course this year, which was ok. I did not completely agree with all of it. But I love the concept of open online courses. I now wait until the ones I liked are all becoming certifiable. The quality is sometimes high and sometimes not so. These courses often are a remake of already existing ones. But since they are free, it is easy to drop in or out. I would do it.
Lolo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:06 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Yeah I take various courses on a variety of subject. I don't do any certifiable courses because it doesn't matter to me. I just applied for the Udacity Masters program though so that should be interesting if I get into the pilot group.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #4  
Starting over

Thanks for the reply Lolo. Now I'll have to check out those other sites you mentioned

I've never taken an online class before, so I'm curious how much 'work' (if any) it will be.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:11 PM   #5  
Starting over

Thanks Nelie too!

Any favourite courses that you've taken?
Old 10-15-2013, 02:21 PM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Classes vary. But really it is all about what you put into it. One class I decided to drop had a lot of reading and a paper included. I just don't have much time. I've been taking Dino 101 through Coursera which isn't much work at all and an Ancient Greeks course that had a fair amount of reading but I mostly skimmed.

Some classes have minimal reading, multiple choice tests and/or homework while others may be more involved with more reading, perhaps peer reviewed assignments and what not. So really I'd say you get what you put into a course. Many people audit courses and others put in full effort. Nothing wrong with either approach.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:53 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 233/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

I have not enrolled in a MOOC yet, but i'm interested in 'hobby' classes like photography, geneology, nutrition, art, etc. Thank you for your reviews.
seaurchin is offline   Reply With Quote