Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2001, 11:58 PM   #1  

Question

I'm a lifetime member but I'm back at it after a lapse. I am within 5 lbs. of goal. Here's the dilemma : in July my husband and two kids and I leave for 3 months in Europe. Then try we come home for a couple of weeks before heading to Central America for a couple months. Would you btry to stay on points or just do damage control or go crazy? Be honest. What would you do? I'm torn.
Old 03-11-2001, 12:54 AM   #2  

HI!

Lots of travelling! I would make a conscious effort to stick with the program by continuing to journal and working in exercise. I would plan for extreme meals. I would focus on not GAINING vs losing. I would definitely call 5 pounds to goal too close to go crazy!

Naylene
Old 03-11-2001, 01:28 AM   #3  

Good answer Naylene.
Old 03-11-2001, 07:24 AM   #4  
Fit and Feisty

Default carree

The price for "going crazy" is much, much too high!

Enjoy your traveling.
Old 03-11-2001, 10:59 AM   #5  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Going crazy for three months while traveling sounds like a really bad idea to me. Since I never can predict when that "click" is going to appear or disappear,
I would keep as close to program as I could. I would factor in the extra walking and exercise I would most likely will be getting, and be happy with maintaining my weight loss or even chipping away those last few pounds.
Traveling in itself is super. I'd make a way to eat the really exciting tidbits that will be newly available to me, and I'd ignore or just sample the rest.
Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Old 03-11-2001, 11:37 AM   #6  
REC

Oh, please, don't go crazy. Remember, you are learning to eat healthy for life, not just for when you're home. As someone above said, the cost of going crazy is too high.

I travel a lot and still keep track of my points, which means I eat the local food in moderation. After all, part of the country's culture is the food. In Belgium, for example, I ate creamy foods, but pushed most of the cream aside and ate only one piece of bread and rarely ate dessert. I did have a Belgiun waffle twice, though. I am happy when I come home the same weight.

And, walk, walk, walk.

Enjoy your trip. You can do it.
Old 03-11-2001, 04:31 PM   #7  
Find a Way

It depends on how you react when something happens that you can't control. For me, when traveling to other countries, it's best for me to use common sense. I tend to get frustrated when I can't figure out how to count something and it can turn meal times into nightmares and put a damper on the trip. Instead, I use common sense during those times. Since you are so close to goal I'm sure you've been on the program long enough to know what good choices are, and what a proper portion size is. If you are in a situation where you can count the points, then do so. Otherwise, use your head when making selections.

I recently returned from a trip to Germany and Amsterdam, and came back with a 3 lb loss (started WW after getting back). I paid attention to my choices and didn't blindly stuff my face with whatever I was served. Focus on touring and seeing the sites. You'll get tons of exercise which will help you reach that goal!!
Old 03-11-2001, 06:56 PM   #8  

Default What would you do?

Thanks for all the sensible advice. You're right of course. Going nuts for that long would be a diaster. Naylene, you suggest concentrating on not gaining rather than losing. I think that is what I will try to do. I would be very happy to come home at the same weight I leave at. Cynthia, you hit the nail on the hea. If I don't know exactly how to count something I get frustrated and am tmpted to throw in the towel. But you're right, I can use common sense. It's encouraging to hear that some of you have done well while traveling on holiday. I never have, but then I've never really tried before. Thanks a lot!
Old 03-12-2001, 02:53 PM   #9  
Sis

S/C/G: 306highest/281/265.5/180

Height: 5' 5"

Just thought I would add a line to say that I hope you enjoy your traveling. It sounds like it could be a wonderful adventure. Have fun!... Sis
Old 03-12-2001, 04:17 PM   #10  

Just wanted to add, even if you can find the point count for something, at least write it down so you are accountable for what you eat. might make it easier if you can at least go back and see what you ate on any given day!
Closed Thread