South Beach Diet - How bad are raisins really???

View Full Version : How bad are raisins really???

RiverGirl
10-10-2013, 11:19 PM
I know raisins are not allowed on the SBD life style, and that when eaten they can lead to cravings... but will they stall weight loss?

I only ask because with Halloween approching I had always found it useful, in the past, to add those mini raisin boxes to the bowl of Halloween treats at work so that I felt like I could "indulge" with everyone else; they eat the chocolates & I eat the raisins.

And while I am still on a plateau, I wouldn't want to purposely do any thing to stall myself further... or cause a gain.

Thoughts?

cottagebythesea
10-11-2013, 07:40 AM
Raisins are only dried grapes, and in my opinion I think they're okay as long as they don't trigger cravings. The problem is that because they are small, it's easy to go overboard with them, thus racking up the calories.

I think if snacking on a small handful of them will keep you from indulging in the sugary candy treats, then go for it.

TwynnB
10-11-2013, 07:45 AM
I'm with cottage :).

(I would put craisins, which have added sugar, in my yogurt all the time. Never triggered cravings!)

ggbsy
10-11-2013, 11:13 AM
Raisins are my weak spot!!! I could eat a pound in a sitting and not even notice... Lately I get horrible cramps and gas and bloating the next day, and I really really really believe it is because I abused them for so many years.

Anyway, raisins are what keep me sane while dieting. I have to have SOMETHING, you know? I don't know for sure if they make me crave more though.

Currently trying to fix the digestive distress the cause and/or find a new "make me sane" treat. Anyone know???

RiverGirl
10-12-2013, 01:25 AM
Thanks all, you seem to share my thoughts and feelings on this subject... After all, a few raisins are better than a chocolate bar.. even a 'fun' sized one.