Ideal Protein Diet - What is the Secret?

View Full Version : What is the Secret?

kcandponies
10-10-2013, 04:43 PM
Hey all, I am wondering exactly what is it that makes IP successful?

Let me explain I am not trying to start any trouble or attack anyone, but I honestly don't understand. My mom did the plan, loved every minute, lost weight fabulously. She said there was a video presentation and her coach has explained everything about how the metabolic process works that makes IP so successful.

I have been on IP for 5 weeks, and to me, it's just another diet. I don't believe in magic diets or hocus-pocus. My coach is very dissappointing, just another corner weight loss clinic, she has not been helpful at all.

I follow several threads on 3FC, and people keep saying "IP works if you stick with it". Yes, it's great, I see so much success....but honestly Slim Fast works if you stick with it, so does Atkins, or WW, or many other diets, if you stick with it.

I thought it was some secret formulation, but have read so much about folks doing the diet with alternatives, so it doesn't seem to be the IP brand of food so much as a packet based, low carb, low calorie diet. I read about some of the packets having collagen and amino acids, but different clinics have varying rules for the food, it does not make sense.

I am very realistic. I look at this diet, and see the facts. Average daily calories is 800-1000, from protein, some fat, and limited carbs. Of course you will lose weight, and mathematically, at a rate of 2-3 pounds per week.

So help, please....I just don't understand what is so special about it??

65X65
10-10-2013, 04:51 PM

Let me explain I am not trying to start any trouble or attack anyone, but I honestly don't understand. My mom did the plan, loved every minute, lost weight fabulously. She said there was a video presentation and her coach has explained everything about how the metabolic process works that makes IP so successful.

I have been on IP for 5 weeks, and to me, it's just another diet. I don't believe in magic diets or hocus-pocus. My coach is very dissappointing, just another corner weight loss clinic, she has not been helpful at all.

I follow several threads on 3FC, and people keep saying "IP works if you stick with it". Yes, it's great, I see so much success....but honestly Slim Fast works if you stick with it, so does Atkins, or WW, or many other diets, if you stick with it.

I thought it was some secret formulation, but have read so much about folks doing the diet with alternatives, so it doesn't seem to be the IP brand of food so much as a packet based, low carb, low calorie diet. I read about some of the packets having collagen and amino acids, but different clinics have varying rules for the food, it does not make sense.

I am very realistic. I look at this diet, and see the facts. Average daily calories is 800-1000, from protein, some fat, and limited carbs. Of course you will lose weight, and mathematically, at a rate of 2-3 pounds per week.

Some/maybe most people will lose on just about any diet...a lot of us on here have not been succesful even with 100% compliance on many other plans (WW, Jenny Craig..etc) over the years. ( I actually GAINED weight on WW...3X.

If one is insulin resistant or has what is called syndrome X, or some other metabolic manifestation where the glycemic index is important in metabolism...daily low glycemic index and high fiber PLUS low calories are key. There are many here who have NOT been able to lose with out the biochemical design of this diet. You maybe someone who will do just as well on any calorie reduced diet. If it doesn't matter where your cals come from...it's a blessing!

Some of us have spent years on less than 1000 cals a day to lose 5-10 lbs and then stop losing in spite of adding significant exercise and compliance.

Princess Peacock
10-10-2013, 04:59 PM
I wish I knew the answer also. It is definitely a mystery!

My father did Atkins somewhat successfully a few times. The last time he was on it, he was losing extremely slowly and he was getting frustrated. I should start by saying he is the most disciplined dieter I have ever met! Head strong and determined. He did everything right. After a little heart episode, both his doctor and I talked to him about IP. He didn't want to hear it. It made absolutely no sense to him, mainly because IP had more carbs than Atkins. The "no exercise" part of IP literally had him chuckling uncontrollably in his hospital bed. He thought the whole idea was stupid and would just go home and stick with Atkins and "walk more."
After a month of getting no where, I packed up extra packets, along with a case of EAS shakes and Pure Protein bars, and brought them to his house. Convinced him to give it just 1 week. Only 1.
He half-heartedly agreed and the rest, as my family says, is history.
That was in July, and as of the middle of September, he had lost 64 pounds! 11 weeks!

He used mostly alternatives so, you are right, there is nothing special inside of the foil packets. But something about the ratio of protein/carbs/fat works.

saskgirl
10-10-2013, 05:05 PM
Some/maybe most people will lose on just about any diet...a lot of us on here have not been succesful even with 100% compliance on many other plans (WW, Jenny Craig..etc) over the years. ( I actually GAINED weight on WW...3X.

If one is insulin resistant or has what is called syndrome X, or some other metabolic manifestation where the glycemic index is important in metabolism...daily low glycemic index and high fiber PLUS low calories are key. There are many here who have NOT been able to lose with out the biochemical design of this diet. You maybe someone who will do just as well on any calorie reduced diet. If it doesn't matter where your cals come from...it's a blessing!

Some of us have spent years on less than 1000 cals a day to lose 5-10 lbs and then stop losing in spite of adding significant exercise and compliance.

Very well said 65x65

What makes it so "magical" for me is that it is SO black and white it makes it easier for me to stick to - weight watchers I can drink my daily points in beer if I so choose

it is much easier as well when you are seeing an 2lb loss a week compared to when i was eating 1000 calories a day - and loosing 2 pounds every three weeks - something in the balance of carbs/proteins and keeping my body in keetosis

By sticking to it until I am ready to phase off - I am also changing the way I think about food - eating in restaurant, parties, social events - I am starting to feel like the food isnt important anymore - that I am not being deprived

lol maybe there are some hallucinogens in those little silver packets - I dunno - but after so many years of habitual diet failures I just want to cry with happiness every time I step on that scale

I think you have to be all in (yes that opinion differs) but this was my last chance to get heathy so I was ready to do it right - I have enough years of p*ssing around and making excuses for my addiction - want to get it done as quick as possible so I can start the rest of my life in maintenance

I use the clinic products but did change clinics due to having a "cashier coach" - hold out for the right coach - it will make a difference

kcandponies
10-10-2013, 05:07 PM
He used mostly alternatives so, you are right, there is nothing special inside of the foil packets. But something about the ratio of protein/carbs/fat works.

Is there any information somewhere about the actual ratio of protein/carbs/fat?

I have the nutrition information printed out for IP products, maybe figure out the total daily ranges for an average IP day and try to duplicate it?

I am considering switching to alternatives because my coach is awful and because of the cost, but I want to get a plan in place and food stocked beforehand.

CrystalWolf
10-10-2013, 05:10 PM

For me those other diets would get me to a point and I would get stuck. But that is because I am insulin resistant, so IP works for me because it shuts down the pancreas and stops insulin production. I never hit a plateau in this diet not once. It was an amazing difference. Perhaps if you are interested you can read Dr. Tran's book it is available as a download on the website: http://www.trantiendiet.com/ I found it really enlightening in figuring out why IP works.

dak1lls
10-10-2013, 05:10 PM
I remember going through the presentation and all the talk about the pancreas not working right and our bodies burning fat instead of muscle, etc....Here's the practical thing that I have experienced:

I have lost weight in the past, just about as much as this time around. I have unfortunately gained it back, plus! When I lost the weight I never got rid of it in the places on my body like on IP. I lost 45 pounds about 5 years ago. I ended up in a size 10. I thought I looked great. But, I still had a solid straight trunk. I figured I just don't have the type of figure that goes in, in the middle. Plus, it took me almost 2 years to lose that amount. I did so on a low carb diet, eating healthy...fruit, veggies, lean meats, whole grains limited, dairy. I had a hard time sticking to it and had constant cravings! I was so hungry even after I ate!

The difference with IP for me is that my weight has gone down slightly more than 45 lbs, but I am in a size 6! I have almost no cravings. I do get hungry and look forward to my meals and treats, but it is not the uncontrollable, all consuming "wanting" I have had on past diets. Also, I have a waist! My body does go in there. For some reason, on IP the fat has melted off of me. I am a smaller size at a heavier weight than before.

I think there must be something to the protein side of this and the fat burning that makes the difference. Maybe the cravings are also better because of ketosis, but also because of the reduction in sugars/carbs now?

Those are just my thoughts and experience so far. I am down 53 lbs since May 13th and I am so happy I did this it sometimes makes me want to cry.

Princess Peacock
10-10-2013, 05:14 PM
Somewhere around here is the cute printable chart someone made that shows what nutritional info to aim for when choosing alternatives. If I can find it, I will try to link it (unless someone else more computer savvy than me can do it?). I printed out a copy for him and also gave him a list of foods I had made by reading the alternatives thread. The items he ordered were within those same guidelines. Everything he ordered came from Nashua, but you have to be careful when ordering because they sell tons of things for every dietary need imaginable, and not all of them conform to IP protocol.
I switched to alternatives because my coach was more of a friendly cashier - sweet, but clueless. I loved IP chili and found several on Nashua's site; however, only one of them was comparable - the ProtiDIET (not the ProtiTHIN one).

AliExpat
10-10-2013, 05:20 PM
I think 65x65 hit the nail on the head. What drew me to IP was the science behind it. I've been on other plans/diets/etc but none of them made sense to me like IP does.

Princess Peacock
10-10-2013, 05:21 PM
(WW, Jenny Craig..etc) over the years. ( I actually GAINED weight on WW...3X.

I gained on WW too!! My second meeting I was sitting there about to cry, wondering what I was going to do, because I had done everything by the book! The theme of the meeting was roadblocks and what happens in our daily lives to throw us off track, and how should we deal with those road blocks. Well, one girl stood up and said that a major road block for her was losing so slowly and having to work with 2 girls who were doing Ideal Protein because those girls were losing so fast, etc., etc., but that she preferred to "slow losses" because she got variety and all the IP girls got to eat was broccoli!!

Needless to say, I went home and researched IP, found a local clinic, and gave it a shot.

On WW, I had to have a GAZILLION points per day. There is something not right when you have points to make up at the end of the day, and end up having to eat 3 WW ice cream sandwiches just to get your points in! :dizzy:

65X65
10-10-2013, 05:53 PM
There is a lot of great reading...the ratio of protein/carb fat et al IS very important. A few things that may interest some of you are:
1. The Thyroid Diet- Mary Shoman ( I believe she has had some other books published also)
2. Anything by: Dr Jenny Brand- she is from Australia, and is a PhD nutritionist who has dedicated over 20 years to studying the glycemic index at the Univ of Sydney. A newsletter is available on line that you can sign up for. There is also a lot of information available on line that explains glycemic index and glycemic load...which involves foods higher on the glycemic index that do not have the same bad effects when eaten with other high fiber foods at a meal. There is a lot of research that takes glycemic index to a higher level by examining that

Australia is now labeling all foods with the GI. Light years ahead of the US. With all the sugar in processed foods NOTHING we eat today resembles processed foods of 25 years ago..in either variety or make-up.

Google and read about syndrome X as well as other autoimmune processes like diabetes and hypothyroid. There are a lot of connections in most of this...but some physicians have been slow to connect the dots and get on board. Thank heavens...mine is not one of them. She has been so supportive.

DAK1lls is also correct about where the weight comes off of many of us...I have the same build now as I did when I was 45 years younger...all that middle "stuff" is gone(!) after years of failure...and being told I "must not be compliant...{WW}" ...No one who knows me would say that...but the WW people sure did!!

It was easy-peasy to do this diet. 100%. Told anyone who thought what I was doing was "too restrictive"..."It's easy to do something that works." Now I can even buy jeggings in the Jr department, and YES.. have bought a bunch of them...and LOL... have a "thigh gap"...now how's that for a 65 YO lady??! [Sorry if that visual is TMI!!] My daughter in her 30s pointed it out to me in August...but I had no idea that was a big deal til I saw something in the local paper about it last week. My DH also saw the article and he literally LOL... and showed to me saying.."well...read this...it describes your legs!" I also recently bought a girls size 12 lands end quilted vest for fall. (Cheaper by about $20.) Nothing used to button zip or meet in the middle on me. Everything does now. Granted...I'm a shrimp height wise...and I only use these examples to demonstrate how much weight came off my midsection. It's amazing...and NOTHING could get me to reverse my reduction of carbs. and lower glycemic way of eating. I've learned, that is key to keeping the weight off my midsection. I'm a lifer.

I hope for any of you ladies reading this and struggling to get the weight off...this is also key for you because it will work. Get your head in the game though, because it's not a "diet" and then it's over.You'll always need to monitor carbs and glycemic load if you suffer from this. It's a metabolic issue.

dak1lls
10-10-2013, 06:26 PM
kcandponies: 65X65 reminded me of something else I'd like to mention. I have mentioned this several times in past posts since joining 3FC. Syndrome X (metabolic syndrome) is something I take very seriously. That is the reason I started IP in the first place. I was getting heavier by the month. My belly fat was out of control and growing, and growing. I felt lethargic and depressed. Even though I had lost weight in the past as I mentioned, my belly fat persisted.

I lost my mother, grandmother, and uncle to diabetes and heart disease. All in their 60's. I will be 50 next year and I was heading down the same path. The pain of losing loved ones to something that is highly preventable stays with me. It is overwhelming to even consider leaving my grandchildren and children at such a young age. My doctor put me on notice that I was extremely high risk for these same conditions. I was already showing elevated risk on some cardiac tests and had migraines and dizziness. I would get out of breath walking up the stairs. I know that any diet could probably help me lose weight, but for some reason the belly fat is gone now. I am so anxious to go for a visit to see my doctor so I can impress him with the new healthier me! This is quite seriously a life & death thing for me, as well as others. That is why I try so very hard to do this and stick with it. I remind myself every time I crave a bite of something off plan, that it just is not worth it, and one day I can have a little bite and it won't put me off track.

lighthouse101
10-10-2013, 06:41 PM
I am also very insulin resistant, so just a regular balanced diet that creates a calorie deficit was not working for me. I worked with a dietician for about 6 months earlier this year to try to lose weight. I learned tons about portions, how to make good choices with whole grains and all, exercised religiously and was overall very committed to the meal plan she and I set up. I lost 15 pounds over those 6 months - it was very slow going, and she was the one who actually recommended IP because she suspected I was insulin resistant.

In the last 8 weeks I've lost just under 20 pounds on IP - more than what I lost over 6 months doing a regular portion/calorie controlled diet, which on the surface seemed like really healthy eating. Just didn't work for me. I have tried other things in the past, including WW, with similar results to what I got with the dietician, slow loss of maybe half a pound per week versus my average of about 2.5 lbs per week on IP. That's magic to me!

lisa32989
10-10-2013, 07:20 PM
As others have said, for those of us who are insulin resistant, the "magic" is ketosis. It curtails our appetite. Any compliant packets will work along with following the IP protocol. There is no magic in the silver IP packet.

This protocol also worked better for me than the Atkins diet did. I think mostly because the rules are so clear. There is more "wiggle room" on Atkins. Given wiggle room, I will take it!

The cute graphic is in the alternative thread. Most of the alternative threads have a clear list of what to look for in products.

65X65
10-10-2013, 07:39 PM
As others have said, for those of us who are insulin resistant, the "magic" is ketosis. It curtails our appetite. Any compliant packets will work along with following the IP protocol. There is no magic in the silver IP packet.

This protocol also worked better for me than the Atkins diet did. I think mostly because the rules are so clear. There is more "wiggle room" on Atkins. Given wiggle room, I will take it!

The cute graphic is in the alternative thread. Most of the alternative threads have a clear list of what to look for in products.

As a way of explaining something that has been so recently controversial.....The insulin resistance makes it easy for some of us to be 100%. The change in our bodies is dramtic...it is magic for us. Not at ALL necessary to use IP packets...but to nail the formulation and stick to it yields an unbelievable change.

If you are not Insulin resistant or syndrome X...just the low cal componet of the diet will do it for you. And the ability to use a more forgiving approach or diet will work just as well as long as overall cals are low enough. That's all the restiriction your body needs. You are the lucky ones ... don't take that for granted...ever.

Jojo381972
10-10-2013, 07:58 PM
Granted...I'm a shrimp height wise...and I only use these examples to demonstrate how much weight came off my midsection. It's amazing...and NOTHING could get me to reverse my reduction of carbs. and lower glycemic way of eating. I've learned, that is key to keeping the weight off my midsection. I'm a lifer.

I hope for any of you ladies reading this and struggling to get the weight off...this is also key for you because it will work. Get your head in the game though, because it's not a "diet" and then it's over.You'll always need to monitor carbs and glycemic load if you suffer from this. It's a metabolic issue.

Wise words for sure. I too was on the WW for a year and lost 30 pounds, but it was definitely a struggle. I've been reading a lot these days and two excellent books that talk about low carb/glycemic index are 'The Blood Sugar Solution' by Mark Hyman, as well as 'Ultra-Metabolism' by the same author. I find with the IP, the protein is keeping me full, without cravings and my pancreas isn't overworking. Not having that sugar spike that fuels the hunger over and over again with eating too many carbs, has made me feel full and lose weight.

I definitely am thinking about maintenance even at this early stage, because I want to keep my carbs low enough so I'm not having that sugar spike which can totally cause disease like diabetes (which runs in my family), heart disease and cancers.

What do you all think about 'Wheat' in the diet? I just finished reading, 'The Wheat Belly' and I think wheat could be keeping us fat and making the rolls on our stomachs.

65X65
10-10-2013, 09:25 PM
Wise words for sure. I too was on the WW for a year and lost 30 pounds, but it was definitely a struggle. I've been reading a lot these days and two excellent books that talk about low carb/glycemic index are 'The Blood Sugar Solution' by Mark Hyman, as well as 'Ultra-Metabolism' by the same author. I find with the IP, the protein is keeping me full, without cravings and my pancreas isn't overworking. Not having that sugar spike that fuels the hunger over and over again with eating too many carbs, has made me feel full and lose weight.

I definitely am thinking about maintenance even at this early stage, because I want to keep my carbs low enough so I'm not having that sugar spike which can totally cause disease like diabetes (which runs in my family), heart disease and cancers.

What do you all think about 'Wheat' in the diet? I just finished reading, 'The Wheat Belly' and I think wheat could be keeping us fat and making the rolls on our stomachs.

Being GF is probably a plus.

The chiro who coaches me at my IP site said I would have an easier time in maintenance because I am GF. We have celiac in our immediate family and a lot of food sensitivities. As a result I discovered my own sensitivity to gluten years ago...(Wheat / gluten sensitivity is also an auto immune thing...and seems to go along with and can exacerbate thyroid disease and diabetes in some...all rampant in my family).

It's easy to get passionate about adhering to the IP diet when all of this starts to come together and you see what the effect this most probably has had on yourself.

The Paleo diet is GF and low glycemic...and that's the way I'm headed for the rest of my life!

Jojo381972
10-10-2013, 09:50 PM
Being GF is probably a plus.

The chiro who coaches me at my IP site said I would have an easier time in maintenance because I am GF. We have celiac in our immediate family and a lot of food sensitivities. As a result I discovered my own sensitivity to gluten years ago...(Wheat / gluten sensitivity is also an auto immune thing...and seems to go along with and can exacerbate thyroid disease and diabetes in some...all rampant in my family).

It's easy to get passionate about adhering to the IP diet when all of this starts to come together and you see what the effect this most probably has had on yourself.

The Paleo diet is GF and low glycemic...and that's the way I'm headed for the rest of my life!
I haven't been told that I have celiac's, but I just know that 'grains' which are carbs can wreak havoc on our systems. I am also highly thinking of going Paleo after the IP. You look great by the way!
A few questions if you don't mind. How many carbs do you allow yourself a day? I was reading that eating something like 50-100 grams of carbs a day will keep you in ketosis and keep you maintaining. I am realizing on this IP program that because I am eating so much protein and cutting the sugar and carbs...I don't crave sweets which is amazing. The more high glycemic carbs/sugar you eat, the more you crave more and more.

I went to a seminar on nutrition last night by the owner of my gym who developed a program that is not called the IP program, but he put his own spin on it using the IP foods of course. He is really opening the eyes of many people who believe that having a bowl of cereal and milk/yogurt is healthy. Whereas it will spike your blood sugar and then you'll crash and crave more and more carbs/sugar.

kcandponies
10-10-2013, 10:24 PM
Good information, thanks everyone.
I have done well on low carb diets before, but the losses are slower since there is more room to eat fat and you don't count calories.

I will get a copy of the boom and read it so I can better understand the science

Avalon1957
10-11-2013, 06:15 AM
Hey all, I am wondering exactly what is it that makes IP successful? I am very realistic. I look at this diet, and see the facts. Average daily calories is 800-1000, from protein, some fat, and limited carbs. Of course you will lose weight, and mathematically, at a rate of 2-3 pounds per week. So help, please....I just don't understand what is so special about it??

I do think it's true that you can lose weight on ANY diet with restricted calories. I designed a "Macaroni and Cheeese / Chocolate Chip Cookie Diet" back in 2001 where all I ate was macaroni and cheese (with a can of tuna) and chocolate chip cookies (BUT I was restricting my self to only 1200 calories a day on those items) ... and proceeded to lose 100 pounds over a 9 month period (about 11 pounds a month on average). So I do think a "calories in / calories out" sort of budget does work. That being said, I think I lost a lot of muscle mass on that diet as I was not getting enough protein ... and then (as is typical) gained all that weight back plus 20 pounds over the following year after ending that crazy diet.

I think one thing that's 'different" about the IP diet (for me at least) is if you follow protocol 100%, you lose your sugar and carb addiction so it's REALLY EASY not to cheat (you don't actually have cravings for carbs and sugar, at least I don't) ... one result of that is STEADY LOSES with no plateaus at all (at least for me so far). I have never been on a diet where I lost 50 pounds ... STEADILY ... without a plateau ... so its very motivating to stay on program.

Another perk for me at least is how great/healthy my blood (bloodwork) got in just a few days. I was struggling with high blood sugar and high cholesterol (metabolic syndrome) on my own. One week after starting IP, my blood sugar range dropped from 120-180 to 90-119. And 3 weeks after that, my cholesterol dropped into the 100s (from 230). So there are really great health benefits to deleting (greatly reducing) carbs and sugar. Though any diet that greatly reduced carbs and sugar would do the same (IMHO). (Note that I don't take ANY prescription drugs for cholesterol or blood sugar -- I am getting these great numbers via diet only.)

Another thing is the camaraderie you get on boards like this ... tho I would think that other diets might have similar groups ... I do like the people here.

I have tried a lot of diets over the past 20 years, and none have got me AS FAR and AS FAST and AS STEADY as the IP Diet ... I challenge you to find a diet where you can mimic the kind of 10 week losses that I have seen on IP. Fifty pounds practically straight down in 10 weeks.

https://mindstar.com/scratch/WL_2013_10_11_Rab_sml.jpg

Finally, I LOVE the way the IP Diet targets FAT ... as seen by scorchingly fast and dramatic losses in ones waist measurement. Losing 9" + on ones waistline in 10 weeks in just INSANELY GREAT. I think you would be hard pressed to find a diet that produces as FAST waistline measurement losses.

https://mindstar.com/scratch/ML_2013_10_11_Rab_sml.jpg

So bottom line is even thought I TRULY LOVE the IP Diet and think it's absolutely fantastic ... I still have a feeling that if you could design your own diet with daily numbers that mimic the IP totals, you could possibly/probably fairly closely approximate the losses. Although I have not personally tried that (it would be a cool experiment to try though!)

Calories ~ 950
Fat ~ 26g
Sat Fat ~ 8g
Cholesterol ~ 180 mg
Sodium ~ 1500 mg
Carbs ~ 80g
Sugars ~25g
Fiber ~14g
Protein ~110g

(Shown above is roughly the numbers I am eating everyday being 100% on IP with my specific selections.)

The thing is I am not sure about ... is without the whole structure and support that the IP Diet offers with your clinic and coach, and with online support groups, if it would be as easy to stick to. Plus most people don't want to count, measure, and calculate so much. I think most people appreciate the simplicity of the IP Diet as there is just not that much to think about.

So bottom line, is my gut feeling is that there is possibly/probably not anything magical about the IP Products themselves (at least I don't think there is, but I could be wrong) ... but there is at least some magic in those target numbers. If you can get close to those numbers on your own without IP, go for it. You would definitely need to use some sort of high protein powder and non-starchy vegetables and lean meat to have a shot at getting the numbers in line.

I think that is what people are trying to do when they say they are "on IP but with alternates".

I would add that from the "grapevine" on this board, I have heard a few people say that they don't lose "as much / as fast" on alternates as some of the people that are on the full IP program (like me). So it's possible that there IS something magical about the protein used in the IP packaged foods (but I cannot prove that without stopping what I am doing, and trying alternates, and I am just not willing to do that right now due to my current momentum on IP).

I also wonder if outside of the IP paradigm, if it might be easier to cheat. There is something about being on a formal "program" that keeps me more in line. And I really like the fact that 3 meals a day come out of pre-measured foil packets ... when it's done it's done ... a different sort of experience when you cook a pot of food and you have a motherload "waiting for you" for potential second helpings.

That being said, I do have to admit that I am "pseudo-addicted" to the IP Chocolate Drink (LOL), which I drink twice a day -- one at 9am and one at 9pm. That one product alone keeps me in-line as it just completely satisfies any hankering I have for chocolate and sweets.

Just my thoughts and opinions!

65X65
10-11-2013, 07:41 AM
I do think it's true that you can lose weight on ANY diet with restricted calories. I designed a "Macaroni and Cheeese / Chocolate Chip Cookie Diet" back in 2001 where all I ate was macaroni and cheese (with a can of tuna) and chocolate chip cookies (BUT I was restricting my self to only 1200 calories a day on those items) ... and proceeded to lose 100 pounds over a 9 month period (about 11 pounds a month on average). So I do think a "calories in / calories out" sort of budget does work. T

Avalon..sadly..the calorie thing alone does not always work for some.
After over 2 years of WW failures, Jenny Craig and finally trying calorie counting and logging things alone...I joined a small private..(pricey) gym near my work.Continued with under 1000 cal a day.. ...began working with personal trainer 3X a week ($600 for 8 sessions) and walking 1 hr a day 5X a week on a treadmill there or at home, for close to 2 more years . Kept a food diary the whole time and lost only 10 pounds in over a year and a half...(why I have trouble logging things now...such bad memories).
(Now THAT was an expensive diet ..!!!)

She, the owner, and my Drs could not figure out why I wasn't losing. After that...I simply gave up. Saw 3 endocrinologists and changed PCPs several times.

Then I tried IP a few years after retirement....that was almost a year ago. I read, then played around with it on my own during the holidays last year using EAS..and lost almost 10 pounds...during the holidays..not being strict...and not even having complete info. on how to do it! January began it for real....

After thought edit:
***I never count that 5 week 8.5 lbs I lost before I started formally with IP...but if I think about it...that may have actually been the initial weight loss burst a lot get when they start. I should count it since I did NOT gain it back before I went for my first weigh in.

Avalon1957
10-11-2013, 08:23 AM
Avalon..sadly..the calorie thing alone does not always work for some. After over 2 years of WW failures, Jenny Craig and finally trying calorie counting and logging things alone...I joined a small private..(pricey) gym near my work. Continued with under 1000 cal a day.. ...began working with personal trainer 3X a week ($600 for 8 sessions) and walking 1 hr a day 5X a week on a treadmill there or at home, for close to 2 more years . Kept a food diary the whole time and lost only 10 pounds in over a year and a half...(why I have trouble logging things now...such bad memories). (Now THAT was an expensive diet ..!!!) She, the owner, and my Drs could not figure out why I wasn't losing. After that...I simply gave up. Saw 3 endocrinologists and changed PCPs several times. Then I tried IP a few years after retirement....that was almost a year ago. I read, then played around with it on my own during the holidays last year using EAS..and lost almost 10 pounds...during the holidays..not being strict...and not even having complete info. on how to do it! January began it for real.... After thought edit: ***I never count that 5 week 8.5 lbs I lost before I started formally with IP...but if I think about it...that may have actually been the initial weight loss burst a lot get when they start. I should count it since I did NOT gain it back before I went for my first weigh in.

65x65, yes Mother Nature is a mad scientist! I do think it's totally true that every human body is different and reacts to different things in different ways. I should have written that "calories in / calories out" budgets work great for me at least (and for some people). I should not have made that a blanket statement.

Gosh you have really been through A LOT with your dieting. What a trial that must have been. I am glad that you finally found IP and were able to get that pesky weight off. You really did fantastic given the backdrop of your story.

Yes, everyone seems to get that burst of loss right at the start, I think it's a sodium reaction and water weight loss that adds to the big first week loss total, but I am not 100% sure of that.

65X65
10-11-2013, 09:14 AM
65x65, yes Mother Nature is a mad scientist! I do think it's totally true that every human body is different and reacts to different things in different ways. I should have written that "calories in / calories out" budgets work great for me at least (and for some people). I should not have made that a blanket statement.

Gosh you have really been through A LOT with your dieting. What a trial that must have been. I am glad that you finally found IP and were able to get that pesky weight off. You really did fantastic given the backdrop of your story.

Yes, everyone seems to get that burst of loss right at the start, I think it's a sodium reaction and water weight loss that adds to the big first week loss total, but I am not 100% sure of that.

That history is what made me desperate ...desperate enough to follow this 100% right out of the starting gate. I think I would have drunk snake venom if that was on the sheet!

My husband is the one who next to me is most amazed at how my body has re-shapped. He remembers my bony butt and hip bones from when we were young...and probably thought my skeleton just plain dissolved or went to rubber as I aged!! Now, he never complains, but "comments" if I sit on his knee that my bum is sharp! I have 4 younger sisters and two of them would really benefit from this diet...I guess they are not desperate enough yet. One of them made the "too restrictive for me" comment, to which I replied..."No...being overweight is restrictive".

Rolling on the floor and playing with my 2 1/2 YO and 10 month old granddaughters and then getting up...alone and with out it being a major embarrassment is a major accomplishment. Looking forward to sledding & iceskating with the 11 and 8 year olds in Chicago at Christmas this year instead of watching them and being the one taking the pictures. By darn.... We better get some snow!..
(and I better get a warm parka that fits before we go.) :snow4::coolsnow: I've not been this cold in years. And I can't say it is annoying, knowing why! I must get used to putting layers on again!

Avalon1957
10-11-2013, 10:41 AM
65x65,

so true about needed to feel desperate before starting a successful diet -- that is really true for me too.

Snake venom ... funny!

Certainly being able to feel your bones is a good "tell" ... that's a funny story. And the freedom to play with your grandkids must feel so liberating.

Chicago is good snow country! Go for that parka!!

amt6
10-11-2013, 10:41 AM
65x65 - I think everything you said is important. As someone who was diagnosed with insulin resistance after trying every &*$&%^* diet out there with little to no results, IP is the ONLY thing that has worked for me. I can honestly say that while there is no magic in the little silver packets, there is some magic biochemical reaction going on in my body that makes sense for me. I did Jenny Craig in 2007 and lost 35 lbs in a year. That was the most successful I had ever been on a diet. Needless to say, I gained it all back and then some in a short time. On IP, I have lost (almost) 50 lbs. in 5 months and feel great. BIG difference between the two! I am wondering - what is syndrome x? Is that something specific, or just a phantom metabolic disorder that can't be identified?

GettinHealthyNow
10-11-2013, 10:56 AM
I think this may be the most inspiring and thought provoking thread that I have read yet. Thank you all.

Kathy

JohnP
10-11-2013, 12:53 PM

There is nothing special about the IP diet.

From the standpoint of the what you eat your body cannot tell the difference between whey protein in an IP packet and why protein from a tub bought at costco because whey protein is whey protein.

The set up of the diet is also nothing special. It is a PSMF diet. There are many such diets. Contrary to what some might believe the macro nutrient ratio on this diet is nothing special. Protein to fat ratio ideal? No. Furthermore there is very little customization for the individual on this diet. That is far from ideal.

The protocol is not special. There are phases which are merely reintroducing carbs into the equation with phase 4 being some rules designed to limit caloric intake. Rules not everyone can or should follow. (Or might want to follow)

The only thing that is special is that you pay so much to be on the diet and if you don't know what a PSMF diet it you'll buy into the marketing and because it is a PSMF diet you will lose weight fast. Compliance to the protocol is likely higher than the average diet because of these two factors. Belief is a powerful thing. I fully expect that a true believer will respond to me and tell me how I'm wrong with one of more of my statements above.

None of this means the IP diet doesn't work. It does work. Any PSMF diet works and works great if you follow it.

It just isn't unique or special. At the end of the day you're eating veggies, lean meats, and some pre-packaged low carb protein heavy foods. You're consuming 700-900 calories a day. You'll be in ketosis which for many improve mood and energy. Your body gets used to the lowered intake and hunger remains controlled at least for a while. You lose fat fast. Magic! :D

I lost the bulk of my weight following a similar diet called "Rapid Fat Loss" which in my opinion is superior in every way to the IP diet with one exception. The IP diet offers in person support which for many people is criticial to compliance.

Lolo70
10-11-2013, 01:45 PM
There are certain conditions where the calories in/calories out mantra simply does not quite fit. Hypothyroidism is one and particularly subclinical HT is common in women above 40 yrs old and almost never acknowledged (or even recognized) by doctors. HT slows the metabolism sufficiently to make weight loss very hard to achieve.

Then, you can be insulin-resistant (at least doctors heard about this one, but likely never inquire WHY people are insulin-resistant). Leptin-resistance is the other condition and most doctors will have no clue about it or test for it. Many obese people are actually leptin-resistant. Weight loss may reverse these conditions. But in women, insulin/leptin influence sex-hormones and you may go into a negative feedback cycle that makes your body want to keep that fat a bit longer. PCOS may be another example for an interplay between hormonal systems that promote weight gain. Men are much less hormone-driven and also have a higher muscle mass. They may have less trouble loosing weight. Particularly, when compared to peri- or postmenopausal women.

Therefore, there may be cases where you may only be able to loose significantly on a low carb diet. I have tried various diets and I know I only loose efficiently when going low carb. I can loose on a high carb diet, but I have to lead a very active lifestyle. This is hard to do when you work on the computer.

Furthermore, I do think ketosis does favor fat loss to some extent. in my experience, if you already have trained muscles and you keep on training them during dieting, a ketogenic diet does maintain muscle mass well.

But IP is indeed nothing special. Medifast also works and so do other products that are low carb. Atkins may even be healthier long-term when calories are restricted to the same low amount. All these diets use ketosis to curb appetite. IP of course tries to sell their diet as "special science", but they really do not provide any evidence that they actively do any research. It is also untrue that you let your pancreas completely rest on this diet, since you will still produce insulin spikes after eating their product, just not to the same extent as you would on a cake/fries/pizza lifestyle. Indeed, a ketogenic diet may harm liver function over time. Ketosis is a stress response by your body to starvation and designed to improve survival. It may not be a good idea to live a very low carb lifestyle permanently. The science there is definitely lacking.

Finally, I consider IP prices as a bit of an insult to my intelligence, since other companies sell the exact same products in a different packaging system for 1/3 of the price. Without the humiliation by coaches. But I agree that many people will do better with accountability.

lisa32989
10-11-2013, 01:48 PM
John: Yup. pretty succinct. I believe it is what I was "going for" in what I said, as well. You just took the explanation a little further.

The personal support kept me compliant for many months. Then the success did.

Agreed. No magic in the packets.

The only thing I'd add re: compliance: Sticking with a set of black & white rules worked very well for me, when plans with more gray areas gave me too many loopholes.

Avalon1957
10-11-2013, 04:25 PM
I would add one thing. I knew about the IP Diet a full 15 months before I started the IP Diet in late July 2013 (and had all the subsequent incredible success). I actually had a copy of the official Phase 1 sheet in April 2012 and thought to myself: "Shoot I don't need to buy the IP packets, I can do this on my own". Fifteen months later after trying it "on my own" I found myself 40 pounds heavier than where I started ... Mostly because I found that "on my own" I couldn't or wouldn't stick with it.

Sometimes we all just have to figure out what works for us and do that. Even if "logically" there is no reason why we couldn't do it on our own.

I had basically given up hope of ever losing weight again in the weeks before I officially started IP ... And about a week into the program, I knew this was the right diet plan for me. Ten weeks and fifty pounds later, look where I am now.

So I hear you about there being nothing "special" about the IP Diet. But for some of us out here (or me specifically at least), it saved our lives. (Because at 326 pounds, I was a heart-attack time bomb and already showing the early signs of congestive heart failure.)

So honestly I don't really care if it was the color green on the IP box that motivated me to stick with it ... or saying the matra "Ideal Protein" and clicking my red high heels together 3 times that got me here ... but I know for a fact that I could not have gotten to where I am today by trying to mimic IP "on my own" (As I had already tried that for 15 months).

Ultimately we all have to find what works for us. And for me this works.

JohnP
10-11-2013, 06:18 PM
Sometimes we all just have to figure out what works for us and do that. Even if "logically" there is no reason why we couldn't do it on our own.

I had basically given up in the weeks before I officially started IP ... And about a week into the program, I knew this was the right diet plan for me. Ten weeks and fifty pounds later, look where I am now.

So I hear you about there being nothing "special" about the IP Diet. But for some of us out here (or me specifically), it saved our lives. (Because at 326 pounds, I was a walking heart-attack time bomb and already showing the early signs of congestive heart failure.)

No question about it, some people are going to do much better with in person support. A good coach would make the IP diet well worth it in my opinion even at a higher cost.

As you probably know from reading here. Some people have great coaches and other have worthless ones. Some coaches are actually worse than worthless because they know so little they throw the dieters off track with their bad information.

In a way IP reminds me of cross fit. Both make big marketing claims and both have very little centralized control and therefore each outlet is going to be different. You might have a great experience or you might not.

Regardless, congrats on your success. If I may be so bold as to give you a suggestion, look ahead. Look at the phase 4 plan and see if the rules are something you would want to live with (or could live with). At the end of the day, believe it or not, losing weight is not that difficult. The real difficultly is keeping it off. Figuring out a way of eating that you can live with over the long haul that restricts calories should be your goal in maintinence and you can start thinking about it now.

Avalon1957
10-11-2013, 06:59 PM
If I may be so bold as to give you a suggestion, look ahead. Look at the phase 4 plan and see if the rules are something you would want to live with (or could live with). At the end of the day, believe it or not, losing weight is not that difficult. The real difficultly is keeping it off. Figuring out a way of eating that you can live with over the long haul that restricts calories should be your goal in maintenance and you can start thinking about it now.

I don't think I have a copy of the Phase 4 sheet. Can you post a link to that?

Any tips you have about maintaining would be welcome! What has been the most effective way that you have seen?

I can definitely relate to what you say as I have lost about 450 pounds (incrementally) of weight over my life as I have been the classic yo-yo dieter -- losing the same weight (covering the same ground) over and over. But this time I do feel much more determined to get my weight down and keep it down.

I was kind of amazed to see in my long term 30 year weight chart that I have actually gone through the 300 pound barrier (on the downside) 7 times. I am hoping this last time was lucky #7.

Rockabillygirl
10-11-2013, 07:00 PM
I remember going through the presentation and all the talk about the pancreas not working right and our bodies burning fat instead of muscle, etc....Here's the practical thing that I have experienced:

I have lost weight in the past, just about as much as this time around. I have unfortunately gained it back, plus! When I lost the weight I never got rid of it in the places on my body like on IP. I lost 45 pounds about 5 years ago. I ended up in a size 10. I thought I looked great. But, I still had a solid straight trunk. I figured I just don't have the type of figure that goes in, in the middle. Plus, it took me almost 2 years to lose that amount. I did so on a low carb diet, eating healthy...fruit, veggies, lean meats, whole grains limited, dairy. I had a hard time sticking to it and had constant cravings! I was so hungry even after I ate!

The difference with IP for me is that my weight has gone down slightly more than 45 lbs, but I am in a size 6! I have almost no cravings. I do get hungry and look forward to my meals and treats, but it is not the uncontrollable, all consuming "wanting" I have had on past diets. Also, I have a waist! My body does go in there. For some reason, on IP the fat has melted off of me. I am a smaller size at a heavier weight than before.

I think there must be something to the protein side of this and the fat burning that makes the difference. Maybe the cravings are also better because of ketosis, but also because of the reduction in sugars/carbs now?

Those are just my thoughts and experience so far. I am down 53 lbs since May 13th and I am so happy I did this it sometimes makes me want to cry.

That sums up my opinion too (although I'm nowhere near a size 6 [yet!]. I've yo-yo dieted for years and years, and now I'm down 30 lbs and am fitting into clothes I fit into at about 20 lbs. lighter. I think the difference is the fat burn. And for me, seeing results quickly and steadily keeps the motivation going. I love that you are given an end date of when you should hit your goal. When you first start you think, "oh yeah, right . . ." but sure enough, I can see it! I'm actually ahead of the schedule so far.

So yes, I have completely "drank the Koolaid" as far as IP goes . . . and I am so glad I did!

evepet
10-11-2013, 07:59 PM

What I've copied below is part of an article Glycogen: The Reason to Rejoice in Losing Water Weight by Heather Elaine Yates, taken from a blog post on the Yahoo contributor network... I think it describes the process quite well, and helped me to understand why my weight loss was so high (9lbs) during my first week on the IP diet.

(Quote): Most people do not realize how energy is stored in their body, and so do not understand the significant biological steps towards a healthy weight. The first step is using up your excess glycogen, which is where the "water weight" comes in.
When you eat, your body first breaks down the carbohydrates, fats, and proteins into the simplest form that it needs to be able to use them. The primary nutrients released into the bloodstream for our bodies to use are glucose, triglycerides, and amino acids. Glucose is the main energy fuel for most of your body's energy needs. When there is more glucose in your blood than your body can use right away (which is usually the case after any meal), it is modified and stored for later use. One of these stored components is glycogen. The process that turns glucose into glycogen for storage takes in over 2 grams of water for every 1 gram of glycogen (so for each gram of glycogen stored you have over 3 grams of total weight added).

Glycogen is stored in liver and muscles tissues in your body, though some is also stored in the kidneys and intestine. When your body is active (even sleeping your burn energy) and runs out of glucose in the blood, the body begins to break down the stored glycogen so that your cells have the fuel they need. As your body converts glycogen back into glucose, it releases those extra grams of water, which are then filter through your kidneys and out they go.

How much glycogen a person stores is directly correlated to how much the person weighs. Your body normal stores enough glycogen so that your body has easy access to energy for multiple days in a starvation situation. The maximum amount appears to be 5g/kg of your body weight (1 pound = 2.2 kg). So if you are around 150lbs (68.2 kg), you could be storing around 341g of glycogen. At 3-4 grams total (remember over 2 grams of water is stored with each gram of glycogen) that is over 1348 grams of excess weight that as you burn off your glycogen, you lose in water as well. Once the stores of glycogen are depleted, then the body can begin to break down fats. First it takes the triglycerides that are in your bloodstream and liver, and breaks those down for energy (either as fatty acids for direct energy of broken down further into glucose). Then the stored fats are released, broken down first into glycerol and fatty acids, and then if needed into glucose. (end of Quote)

Avalon1957
10-12-2013, 06:31 AM
Evepet, thanks for posting that. That was a really interesting read! I understand those big losses on week 1 so much better now.

65X65
10-12-2013, 07:10 AM
evepet...ditto..thanx from me. It all is interesting and makes sense.

John-
As always your insights are helpful and on target for many too. I certainly do not think there is magic in the packets...but the convenience of a diet that is metabolically correct for me..is invaluable. It would be more so if I still had children at home and was still mid career. Being a retiree...and a traveling grandma....(the BEST job I've ever had) ....the convenience and simple structure this past year made it incredibly easy for me. At this point in my life, I deserve easy, and my husband of 44 years bends over backward to make each day exactly that! We all do IP for as many different reasons as there are metabolic issues ...(or not) in any one of us. Accountability is not everyone's issue. It is not mine. In fact with my personality; oldest child (of 6) syndrome...management style left over from 40 years of working and my level of OCD which is more pronounced as i get older...)....ME? Not even close to needing accountability, and I can tell there are others here who for whatever reason they do IP...accountability is not at the top of the list. The program structure which circumvented my metabolic problems of the last 20 years and convenience were/are the sole reason for me to use their products. Plus, I meet my old boss for coffee once a week and the coffee shop is .5 miles from the IP site. I wouldn't miss that date with her for anything!! She and I were like one monster with two heads and four hands and we still miss working together after 5 years!! She tried to hire me back to oversee a merger integration project recently...go figure...she's 20 years younger than me...what a flattering day that was!

lisa32989
10-12-2013, 08:03 AM
Avalon
Since attachments still aren't working in 3fc, I posted a link to Google Docs for all of the phase sheets, a week or so ago. They are in the stickies. A link to that post is in first post of the daily

Avalon1957
10-12-2013, 10:30 AM
perfect! thanks lisa

KareVT
10-12-2013, 12:33 PM
I think this may be the most inspiring and thought provoking thread that I have read yet. Thank you all.
Kathy

Kathy - agreed; this is an incredible thread; lots of meat to chew on here. Thanks to all who educated and for Super Avalon for sharing so much detail and thought in the matter.

John: Yup. pretty succinct. I believe it is what I was "going for" in what I said, as well. You just took the explanation a little further.

The personal support kept me compliant for many months. Then the success did.

Agreed. No magic in the packets.

The only thing I'd add re: compliance: Sticking with a set of black & white rules worked very well for me, when plans with more gray areas gave me too many loopholes.

Lisa - I concur; the simplicity, support and b&w rules make it valuable and easy for me to follow. Right now, P1 is learning and shrinking but every ounce of the way, I learn new ways of how I am going to make these changes last a lifetime and will never return to bad habits.

...Sometimes we all just have to figure out what works for us and do that. Even if "logically" there is no reason why we couldn't do it on our own.

I had basically given up hope of ever losing weight again in the weeks before I officially started IP ... And about a week into the program, I knew this was the right diet plan for me. Ten weeks and fifty pounds later, look where I am now.

So I hear you about there being nothing "special" about the IP Diet. But for some of us out here (or me specifically at least), it saved our lives. (Because at 326 pounds, I was a heart-attack time bomb and already showing the early signs of congestive heart failure.)

So honestly I don't really care if it was the color green on the IP box that motivated me to stick with it ... or saying the matra "Ideal Protein" and clicking my red high heels together 3 times that got me here ... but I know for a fact that I could not have gotten to where I am today by trying to mimic IP "on my own" (As I had already tried that for 15 months).

AVALON - well said, my friend, well said! I am so happy that you have found such success on this plan. You are DYNAMITE and I hope you feel that way too. Congrats on your NSV's and SV's and I am thrilled to hear that you have kicked the early signs of congestive heart failure *scary* to the curb; HOORAY 4 YOU!!!

Yes, agreed, ultimately we do need to find what works for the individual. I've been on so many programs throughout my life, WW's, Jenny, Atkins, Scarsdale, WW (5 more x) and thankfully I found IP. It's amazing where our lives take us. The hardest part of all is being honest with oneself, acknowledging a weight issue and finding that self motivation to commit to a healthier future. As it did for many others, IP changed my life and made me realize I CAN DO THIS! My coach is amazing and so are all of the 3FC Folks like you. I'm just so happy that you're on the boards and I thank you to great depths for all of your shares.

THANKS 4 INSPIRING EVERYONE!!! :encore:

Avalon1957
10-12-2013, 01:23 PM
AVALON - well said, my friend, well said! I am so happy that you have found such success on this plan. You are DYNAMITE and I hope you feel that way too. Congrats on your NSV's and SV's and I am thrilled to hear that you have kicked the early signs of congestive heart failure *scary* to the curb; HOORAY 4 YOU!!!

Well, I think I am great! (That's 1 vote at least! A fan club of one. HA)

Yes, congestive heart failure is no fun. That's what killed my father at age 80. It's amazing that the two early signs that I had of that back in July: 1.) water weight swelling in my feet and ankles and 2.) fluid in my lungs, (esp. after eating) ... are completely gone now. I actually feel fit and healthy! All these improvements and I am still 85 pounds overweight. (Still 85 pounds over is so much better than being 136 pounds over!). To be honest with you, I can't even imagine right now how much better I could possibly feel when I am down to 190 lbs (because right now I feel amazingly great).

Yes, agreed, ultimately we do need to find what works for the individual. I've been on so many programs throughout my life, WW's, Jenny, Atkins, Scarsdale, WW (5 more x) and thankfully I found IP. It's amazing where our lives take us. The hardest part of all is being honest with oneself, acknowledging a weight issue and finding that self motivation to commit to a healthier future. As it did for many others, IP changed my life and made me realize I CAN DO THIS! My coach is amazing and so are all of the 3FC Folks like you. I'm just so happy that you're on the boards and I thank you to great depths for all of your shares.

It's pretty interesting how many different diets some/many of us have tried.

I think for me it finally sunk in that losing the weight is not the key step (for me), it's keeping it off. And I can no longer look at a diet as something I can eventually go off of and "graduate" and go back to my old eating habits. But instead it's a first step of changing my eating habits and patterns for a lifetime.

One thing that I like about IP is it's definitely changing my "tastes" and breaking some old patterns.

And I am glad that you are here too. You and others inspire me as well! It's definitely a two way street.

MelissaKate73
10-12-2013, 01:55 PM
What a fantastically helpful thread this is! Thanks to everyone for your insight. It's invaluable to a newbie like me.

65X65
10-12-2013, 03:16 PM
I

...clicking my red high heels together 3 times that got me here ... but I know for a fact that I could not have gotten to where I am today by trying to mimic IP "on my own" (As I had already tried that for 15 months).

kcandponies: I have mentioned this several times in past posts since joining 3FC. Syndrome X (metabolic syndrome) is something I take very seriously. That is the reason I started IP in the first place. I was getting heavier by the month. My belly fat was out of control and growing, and growing. I felt lethargic and depressed. Even though I had lost weight in the past as I mentioned, my belly fat persisted.

I lost my mother, grandmother, and uncle to diabetes and heart disease. All in their 60's. I will be 50 next year and I was heading down the same path. The pain of losing loved ones to something that is highly preventable stays with me. It is overwhelming to even consider leaving my grandchildren and children at such a young age. My doctor put me on notice that I was extremely high risk for these same conditions. I was already showing elevated risk on some cardiac tests and had migraines and dizziness. I would get out of breath walking up the stairs. I know that any diet could probably help me lose weight, but for some reason the belly fat is gone now. I am so anxious to go for a visit to see my doctor so I can impress him with the new healthier me! This is quite seriously a life & death thing for me, as well as others. That is why I try so very hard to do this and stick with it. I remind myself every time I crave a bite of something off plan, that it just is not worth it, and one day I can have a little bite and it won't put me off track.

I gained on WW too!! My second meeting I was sitting there about to cry, wondering what I was going to do, because I had done everything by the book!

On WW, I had to have a GAZILLION points per day. There is something not right when you have points to make up at the end of the day, and end up having to eat 3 WW ice cream sandwiches just to get your points in! :dizzy:

For me those other diets would get me to a point and I would get stuck. But that is because I am insulin resistant, so IP works for me because it shuts down the pancreas and stops insulin production.

While nearly everyone's experince, shared here, which led some of us to "drink the kool-aid" has been different...all are heartening.The reasons have the elements of desperation be it because of our health, emotional state and well being or family history with our own self heading down same road that scared the !!@#=&*7^ out of us ...we recognize the chemistry of this protocol is why we are doing it. The lucky ones who will lose on any low cal diet possibly find this faster...and that's a great reason as well. The other compelling factor mentioned over and over is the ability to make an educated choice in the future about what we will eat. The carbs and sugar for a large number of us... (no pun or insult intended...that's me I'm talkin' about...from six months ago..), it is a blessing and a privilege to really have the information about what some kinds of foods will do to us as individuals if we are not careful...even if we are calorie compliant and attack life in moderation going forward.

Haven't read of any other protocol that sensitizes, informs or proves to a follower what low glycemic vigilance applied to a BMR/caloric appropriate diet for life does for insulin resistant, syndrome X, carb sensitive, hypothyroid (...etc.) individuals. :D

It's not really that hard to do what works after you've hit the wall in desperation!

:hug:KC...thanks for asking this initial question and getting so much good stuff on one thread!;)

Jojo381972
10-12-2013, 06:43 PM
Great thread and information!!! Thanks all! :)

KareVT
10-12-2013, 09:08 PM
Well, I think I am great! (That's 1 vote at least! A fan club of one. HA)

Yes, congestive heart failure is no fun. That's what killed my father at age 80. It's amazing that the two early signs that I had of that back in July: 1.) water weight swelling in my feet and ankles and 2.) fluid in my lungs, (esp. after eating) ... are completely gone now. I actually feel fit and healthy! All these improvements and I am still 85 pounds overweight. (Still 85 pounds over is so much better than being 136 pounds over!). To be honest with you, I can't even imagine right now how much better I could possibly feel when I am down to 190 lbs (because right now I feel amazingly great).

It's pretty interesting how many different diets some/many of us have tried.

I think for me it finally sunk in that losing the weight is not the key step (for me), it's keeping it off. And I can no longer look at a diet as something I can eventually go off of and "graduate" and go back to my old eating habits. But instead it's a first step of changing my eating habits and patterns for a lifetime.

One thing that I like about IP is it's definitely changing my "tastes" and breaking some old patterns.

And I am glad that you are here too. You and others inspire me as well! It's definitely a two way street.

Avalon - You've got my vote and I can start the ballot cuz I know you'd get a heck of a lot more!

I'm happy to hear you have taken the bull by the horn and taken matters in your own hands - you're beating this heart congestive failure, you feel amazing (excellent to hear) and you will reach your goal. And, I can't wait to read your threads once that happens (which will be soon from the rate you are moving). I never knew those were symptoms and it's amazing you did away with it minus medication(s) and solely by losing lbs'. I'm sorry that you lost your father but, the gift here is that he is with you every step of the way and has been a reminder for you to get healthy and to cherish life. I could only imagine he would be one proud Papa.:hug:

I'm in your camp; I think it's finally clicked and I know that I will never allow myself to go back to old eating habits, that did not work for me and I do not want to end up like that ever again, never! I know maintenance will be hard but what's great is that we've got the tools and know how to beat this and understand how to keep success in our court.

I liked your grocery list from the other thread. I like how IP has changed my taste buds too. The temptations aren't there b/c things are so satisfying on this plan.

Many Cheers!

What a fantastically helpful thread this is! Thanks to everyone for your insight. It's invaluable to a newbie like me.

MelissaKate - Right? Such a helpful thread; glad you enjoyed it too.

JohnP
10-13-2013, 02:56 AM
John-
As always your insights are helpful and on target for many too. I certainly do not think there is magic in the packets...but the convenience of a diet that is metabolically correct for me..is invaluable. It would be more so if I still had children at home and was still mid career.

Absolutely. This is the great part of any PSMF diet and a big part of what appealed to me when I first read about the PSMF diet I did.

The primary point I was attempting to make is that the IP diet is a very standard PSMF diet.

I post on this web site because of what kaplods quote in my signature says.

Wine4me
10-13-2013, 03:23 AM
I works for me because I am never hungry ! I don't have to think about food and it is so portable. I just love this diet!

Aydubs
10-13-2013, 10:07 AM
You are absolutely right....every diet works if you stick with it. Its all about what works for you. I've done them all and for me, this one works best FOR ME. It won't be the one for everyone. Its very like me to find the most expensive diet to absolutely love, by the way:) So good luck finding yours!