General chatter - What Are You Reading - October

View Full Version : What Are You Reading - October

Psychic
10-10-2013, 10:42 AM
I noticed that we don't have one of these yet... So here it is!

What are you reading in October?

Psychic
10-10-2013, 10:43 AM
Currently Reading:
Of Poseidon by Anna Banks

Already Read:
The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black
The Crown of Embers by Rae Carson
Iced by Karen Marie Moning
Carrie by Stephen King
Faery Tales & Nightmares by Melissa Marr
Goddess of Light by P.C. Cast

time4me2change
10-10-2013, 10:58 AM
I am currently reading

Room by Emma Donoghue

A song of Ice and Fire book 3 Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin

The Lord of the Rings book 1 Fellowship of the Rings by J R R Tolkien

(posted in the order I hope to finish them)

I also read whatever my students are reading (Grade 12 English teacher)
So for OCtober we will finish "The Pearl" by John Steinbeck and start "1984" by George Orwell

CanadianCutie
10-10-2013, 11:26 AM
Still plodding through Inferno by Dan Brown. I'm enjoying it, just can't read for too long at a time due to a tooth infection.

time4me2change
10-10-2013, 11:44 AM
Still plodding through Inferno by Dan Brown. I'm enjoying it, just can't read for too long at a time due to a tooth infection.

Ooh, my parents bought me that book for my birthday this summer... I am hoping to get into it when I go home for Christmas!

staja
10-10-2013, 11:55 AM
Currently Reading:
Iced by Karen Marie Moning

Excited to find another Fever-fan!

I'm currently reading the 5th book in Jordan's Wheel of Time series (I have no idea what the name is...). I also have Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn waiting for this weekend.

Psychic
10-10-2013, 11:58 AM
Lately I've been burning through books like I used to do when I was younger. I read 8 full books last month alone. I get into kicks where I read a lot for a month or two, then I take a break for a month or two.

I read Carrie in one day. Wanted to read it before the new movie comes out.

staja - I absolutely love it. I read the first 5 books last month. I now own 4 out of 7 and I'm working on getting the others.

LovesToTravel
10-10-2013, 01:02 PM
I'm finishing up The Last Runaway by Tracy Chevalier and listening to the audiobook version of Thud! by Terry Pratchett.

SuperHeroTeacher
10-10-2013, 11:20 PM
Currently reading trashy romance - Bad Rep. Feeling guilty about it... Plan to re-read Pride& Prejudice next.

LadyPetite
10-11-2013, 05:10 PM
I'm reading 'And the Mountains Echoed' by Khaled Hosseini.

LovesToTravel
10-11-2013, 05:56 PM
I'm reading 'And the Mountains Echoed' by Khaled Hosseini.

Oh, I loved A Thousand Splendid Suns by Mr. Hosseini, I'll have to put this novel on my to-read list. Are you enjoying it so far?

seabiscuit
10-11-2013, 08:15 PM
I just started The Yonalohosee Riding Camp for Girls, I like it.

Staja- please let us know what you think of Gone Girl! I am intrigued by it, I don't know if it is dark or grim though?

LadyPetite
10-11-2013, 08:41 PM
Oh, I loved A Thousand Splendid Suns by Mr. Hosseini, I'll have to put this novel on my to-read list. Are you enjoying it so far?

I'm done with three chapters so far and I love it. I've read some reviews where people have said that it's not as great as the first or even second book but to be honest, I think it's hard to top The Kite Runner. But it's definitely worth the read so far.

LovesToTravel
10-12-2013, 05:57 PM
I'm done with three chapters so far and I love it. I've read some reviews where people have said that it's not as great as the first or even second book but to be honest, I think it's hard to top The Kite Runner. But it's definitely worth the read so far.

I haven't read Kite Runner yet either so that makes two on my to-read list! Thank you for your initial impression, LadyPetite. :)

shcirerf
10-12-2013, 10:28 PM
Just finished John Grisham book, "The Testament", then "Martin the Mouse Warrior"

Now the "Yada Yada Prayer group"

I randomly read whatever.

I do favor Steven King, and John G. But also like true crime stories, and spy stuff.

The Martin Mouse was a whim, but a good read!

The Yada Yada prayer book, while out of the norm for me, is turning out to be a good read.

On the other hand, the "New rules of lifting" in several versions, I've read and done the programs.

Not real picky, but it has to move, and keep me interested, and not get to complicated. And romance books, let's change hair color, country of origin, pirate, soldier, whatever, over all that drivel.:D

TheSecondHalf
10-13-2013, 10:11 AM
Excited to find another Fever-fan!

I'm currently reading the 5th book in Jordan's Wheel of Time series (I have no idea what the name is...). I also have Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn waiting for this weekend.

I have to ask, what did you guys think about Iced? I loved the original Fever series and even the cheesy romance novels that tied in because they were fun and action-packed. I think they would make really cool movies. If you like something like Buffy, I think they would appeal.

But I had a REAL hang up with Iced...and I won't spoil it but that kid is 14. Not appropriate. Not cool. Creepy. She should've aged her up a few years.

Psychic
10-13-2013, 11:06 PM
TheSecondHalf - I'm in the middle of Iced still. Been busy. It is a bit creepy. I mean, Ryodan is several thousand years old? Weird. I think the original series was better so far.

staja
10-14-2013, 08:39 AM
But I had a REAL hang up with Iced...and I won't spoil it but that kid is 14. Not appropriate. Not cool. Creepy. She should've aged her up a few years.

I tend to overlook that stuff a little more in books, to be honest -- Daenerys Targaryen is also supposed to be 14! But, I definitely liked the original series better. Jericho Barrons! And I didn't like the Highlander books at all.

Another series I liked was Maria V. Snyder's Study Series, starting Poison Study. The similarities pretty much end with young female protagonist, but I made it through the 3 Study books and the 3 Glass books very quickly.

Still working on Gone Girl -- I spent more time with Robert Jordan this weekend. Too many people to keep track of in the Wheel of Time!

gardenerjoy
10-14-2013, 10:44 AM
I can't remember if I raved about Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein on this thread -- it's my favorite fiction book that I read this year. Her new book, Rose Under Fire, is a great read, too. I reviewed it on my blog today.

Right now I'm in the middle of a (dare I say it?) romance novel. I'm enjoying Seduction in Silk by Jo Beverley. Fluffy, but that's what I was in the mood for after reading way too many WWII books recently.

Allimac1
10-14-2013, 11:37 AM
Just finished Gone Girl and going to start on The 100 Year Old Man who climbed out the window .... it has been nominated by my book club (tbh the book club is really more a wine club!) .... thankfully we don't meet up that often :P

Psychic
10-15-2013, 07:29 AM
Gah! Just finished Iced. Can't wait for the next book, but it doesn't come out until July! I haven't read the Highlander series. I was considering it, but I'll see if my library has it.

Just started The Crown of Embers.

EagleRiverDee
10-15-2013, 12:56 PM
My mom recommended a cute little series called "The Psychic Eye" series following a psychic named Abby Cooper and her friends and they solve mysteries and crimes. It's 100% fluff, but enjoyable. I'm on the 7th book in the series right now.

staja
10-15-2013, 01:27 PM
Just started The Crown of Embers.

I read The Girl of Fire and Thorns series, but I wasn't too fussed with it. Have you read The Green Rider series by Kristen Britain? They're similar to the Heralds of Valdemar or Tamora Pierce's Alanna series.

nlauah
10-15-2013, 02:13 PM
Hey all!!! I finished Inferno by Dan Brown recently and I am reading A wild sheep chase by Japanese author Haruki Murakami... Good so far.. but have been slow going through it :(

gardenerjoy
10-15-2013, 09:54 PM
EagleRiverDee: I get a kick out of the Psychic Eye series. I finished Book 8, but didn't realize I was still behind. Time to get some more in. #11 was published this year, but in hardback -- I guess they're getting popular!

EagleRiverDee
10-16-2013, 02:19 PM
EagleRiverDee: I get a kick out of the Psychic Eye series. I finished Book 8, but didn't realize I was still behind. Time to get some more in. #11 was published this year, but in hardback -- I guess they're getting popular!

Cool! I'm glad to know there are more to read! I think I have them through book 9 or something, but I'm reading about 2 a week so that won't take long. I started book 8 yesterday. :)

shcirerf
10-16-2013, 11:02 PM
Currently reading "when the rabbit howls"

Actually an old book, but a self written biography of a woman, with multiple personalities, due to childhood abuse.

Not the norm for what I usually read, but picked it up at the local Salvation Army, just something different.

It is KNOCKING my socks off! Without reading it, there is no real way to describe it.

81 personalities, some protect, some defer, some died, and yet came back to life in therapy. Each personality had a purpose, to save the author from insanity, but at the same time, they made her feel nuts, because of loss of time, and where was, what did I do?

Definitely a good read!

LawGirl88
10-16-2013, 11:42 PM
The Circle by Dave Eggers.

My boyfriend introduced me to a site called goodreads where I was able to rate tons of books I'd read and it did it's special fancy algothirm and produced other books I'd like. So I also used that and got 4 books from hold at the library. I babysit a lot at night so lots of reading time.

BiasStarfish
10-18-2013, 04:19 PM
A song of Ice and Fire book 3 Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin

I'm in the middle of this book too! I'm kinda in love with the series currently.

At work, I will usually listen to Harry Potter (have all 7 of the books on my ipod).

The House of Hades by Rick Riordan is another one that I've gone through this month. The Heroes of Olympus series is probably too kiddie for my age, but it's a cute series and an easy read.

gardenerjoy
10-25-2013, 10:29 PM
Inspired by EagleRiverDee, I finished Vision Impossible by Victoria Laurie (Book 9 in the Psychic Eye series). I'm going to start Book 10 tonight, Lethal Outlook. I like the cover!

You might also enjoy her other series that begins with What's a Ghoul to Do? about a ghost hunter -- especially fun around Halloween.

BillBlueEyes
10-26-2013, 04:57 AM
I just finished The world set free; a story of mankind, by H.G. Wells, published in 1914.

We're approaching the 100th anniversary so I'm a tad late, LOL.

I was triggered when a friend showed me his first edition! I assumed that I'd read it already (hasn't everybody?) but couldn't remember anything more than how to launch an atomic bomb from an atomic-airplane. Spoiler alert: You lift it by its two handles then, before dropping over the side, you bite off the protective nipple so that the atomic reaction begins.

Glad I finally read it. It's not just an amazingly early prediction of atomic weapons, but also a fascinating vision of society gone amuck when energy become free.

CJinTX
10-26-2013, 10:17 AM
I'm reading A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. I read it a long time ago, but I'm getting more out of it this time.

bbnk85
10-28-2013, 08:41 AM
Anyway, I just finished reading Alamut (by Bertol). My mind is blown now. I really recommend it.

ShrinkingStudent
10-29-2013, 08:32 AM
I started reading the set of books by Karen Miller "King Maker King Breaker", got sucked into the stories and finished each of the two books in 3 days each (procrastinating from studying for exams). I have the rest of her fantasy collection in my book shelf and next up I'm reading the Fisherman's Children duology starting with "The Prodigal Mage".