Ideal Protein Diet - The cheating hierarchy

View Full Version : The cheating hierarchy

2much2do
10-07-2013, 02:05 PM
Some cheats are a whole lot more damaging than others. The longer I do Ideal Protein, the more I realize you should just never cheat.

However, most people at some point will. You'll have a special occasion or you'll be traveling and you will give yourself permission to cheat. It helps me to understand which cheats are the most damaging and which cheats are the least. If I do, through lack of planning or a failure of willpower, find myself in a situation where I'm tempted to go off plan, I try to stick with the least damaging cheats. I will ask myself - can I substitute this thing I'm planning to cheat on for another cheat that is less damaging? I have a hierarchy of cheats in my head. At the risk of creating some controversy, I want to know what you think the hierarchy looks like.

Here's an exercise. Look at the 12 items listed below and put them in order of most damaging to least damaging, according to the IP protocol. I'm curious to see if your list looks similar to mine.

Regular salad dressing Ranch, blue cheese, caesar
Fatty meat ribeye, strip, NY steak
Extra unrestricted protein packet
Complex carbs brown rice, potatoes, oat meal, corn, beans
Sugar + Fat doughnuts, French fries, ice cream
Off plan vegetables like artichoke hearts
Nuts
Simple carbs white bread, white rice, pasta
Fat free dairy - skim milk, yogurt, cottage cheese
Extra restricted IP bar
Fatty dairy cheese, sour cream, cream cheese
Sweet sauces - barbecue, teriyaki, cocktail

Princess Peacock
10-07-2013, 03:06 PM
Some cheats are a whole lot more damaging than others. The longer I do Ideal Protein, the more I realize you should just never cheat.

However, most people at some point will. You'll have a special occasion or you'll be traveling and you will give yourself permission to cheat.

First of all, this statement is false - absolutely not true. Assuming that "most" people do and will cheat, and that most everyone will give themselves "permission to cheat" is wishful thinking on the part of those posters who continually bombard these boards lately with talks of cheating.

Second, a cheat is a cheat. There is no hierarchy.

I am not understanding the purpose of this question, unless it is simply to justify eating something not on the sheet.

lisa32989
10-07-2013, 03:09 PM
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/221536-real-cost-cheating-ideal-protein.html

Avalon1957
10-07-2013, 03:39 PM
If you can cheat and be successful, more power to you!

The way I look at is ...

it took a lot of willpower and 8 days of strict dieting to lose my last 5 pounds ...

Could I cheat? Sure, it would be fun for one day.

But then tomorrow my scale will show I gained 5 pounds (probably from salt).

Then I will spend the next 2 weeks trying to lose those 5 pounds to get back to where I was.
In the meantime I spent another x dollars on IP foods and more time went by and I made no progress.

Is it worth a one-night cheat for all that? No (not for me at least)

Ruth Ann
10-07-2013, 03:41 PM
First of all, this statement is false - absolutely not true. Assuming that "most" people do and will cheat, and that most everyone will give themselves "permission to cheat" is wishful thinking on the part of those posters who continually bombard these boards lately with talks of cheating.

I am not understanding the purpose of this question, unless it is simply to justify eating something not on the sheet.

I couldn't have said it better.

To reiterate - a cheat is a cheat. This is a "no cheat" diet (and you aren't really cheating the "diet" - you are cheating yourself, read the thread lisa linked to up there).

WillowVee
10-07-2013, 03:48 PM

Right on, sister!

DJ72
10-07-2013, 04:20 PM
Wow! I always love to read the responses when somebody mentions the "c" word!
Remember folks that we are all adults here and answer directly to ourselves. What we do and don't do only hurt ourselves.
I strongly applaud all the 100% IPers out there, and I myself am staying 100%. I do not believe this thread was started to encourage cheating and I do not think that anybody should be chastised for this post. We are all entitled to our opinions. What we believe and don't believe is up to us. If you don't like what you have just read then carry on.
Remind me to NEVER mention if I cheat... WOW

Princess Peacock
10-07-2013, 04:38 PM
[QUOTE=DJ72; If you don't like what you have just read then carry on.
Remind me to NEVER mention if I cheat... WOW[/QUOTE]

Well, let us take a look at this, shall we?
You are saying if we don't like what we read, to just carry on? Yet, you obviously didn't like what you read in my post. So shouldn't you just "carry on" also?
Please, explain that to me. I'm dying to know the logic behind that statement.
I gave my opinion to something that was posted. The original poster certainly had to know this was a controversial topic, considering all of the trolls starting "c" threads lately.

ktgrrl
10-07-2013, 05:02 PM
Well, let us take a look at this, shall we?
You are saying if we don't like what we read, to just carry on? Yet, you obviously didn't like what you read in my post. So shouldn't you just "carry on" also?
Please, explain that to me. I'm dying to know the logic behind that statement.
I gave my opinion to something that was posted. The original poster certainly had to know this was a controversial topic, considering all of the trolls starting "c" threads lately.

Wow. At least you're being kind-hearted and polite about this. Troll certainly seems like a strong word. But hey, you be "true" to you.

trishthayer
10-07-2013, 05:22 PM
I agree troll is harsh. I think the cheating conversations can be usefull not really for phase 1 but for phase 4. The list that 2much2do may be a way to discuss how to eat permently....if we think of food as cheating it looks MORE appealing, in my opinion. If we all could stay 100% all the time we all, or most of us, would have lost our weight on our first diet. I am willing to bet this is NOT most of our first diets....**** I have been on a million

DJ72
10-07-2013, 05:31 PM
I agree troll is harsh. I think the cheating conversations can be usefull not really for phase 1 but for phase 4. The list that 2much2do may be a way to discuss how to eat permently....if we think of food as cheating it looks MORE appealing, in my opinion. If we all could stay 100% all the time we all, or most of us, would have lost our weight on our first diet. I am willing to bet this is NOT most of our first diets....**** I have been on a million

Very well stated!
Had the cheating post been put under the 100% thread I would have found that completely disrespectful.
Now having been at the rath of a post I totally understand why some people tend to just lurke and not post. Sad really because there are so many amazing people here!

Princess Peacock
10-07-2013, 05:34 PM
For the record, I was not calling anyone on this thread a troll, and I do not appreciate the accusation. I was referencing the several threads where people, certain people, continuously start the cheating conversation, only to bait people into arguing. I am not the first, nor will I be the last, to utilize the word "troll" when referring to trouble makers on message boards. Troll is a commonly used term. Google it.
As far as the original post in this thread, I maintain my stance that a cheat is a cheat. If someone is in a situation where they "feel" they have no choice but to have full-fat ranch dressing on their salad, they are perfectly within their rights to do so. BUT, that is no more or less a cheat than pouring pure maple syrup on your pancake.
A cheat is a cheat.

Rhonduz
10-07-2013, 05:43 PM
Very well stated!
Had the cheating post been put under the 100% thread I would have found that completely disrespectful.
Now having been at the rath of a post I totally understand why some people tend to just lurke and not post. Sad really because there are so many amazing people here!

I agree!

schenectady
10-07-2013, 05:45 PM

However, most people at some point will. You'll have a special occasion or you'll be traveling and you will give yourself permission to cheat. It helps me to understand which cheats are the most damaging and which cheats are the least. If I do, through lack of planning or a failure of willpower, find myself in a situation where I'm tempted to go off plan, I try to stick with the least damaging cheats. I will ask myself - can I substitute this thing I'm planning to cheat on for another cheat that is less damaging? I have a hierarchy of cheats in my head. At the risk of creating some controversy, I want to know what you think the hierarchy looks like.

Here's an exercise. Look at the 12 items listed below and put them in order of most damaging to least damaging, according to the IP protocol. I'm curious to see if your list looks similar to mine.

Nuts
Extra restricted IP bar

I guess the idea of thinking about cheating makes me nervous as I try ever to head in that direction, so far 100%.

I will admit, though, that if I WERE to think about it, there would be no contest in heading straight for the doughnuts or ice cream.

The rest are really not tempting to me. It has always been the sweet baked stuff that got me into trouble but that was in a different life and this is now.

Lolo70
10-07-2013, 05:49 PM
For the record, I was not calling anyone on this thread a troll, and I do not appreciate the accusation. I was referencing the several threads where people, certain people, continuously start the cheating conversation, only to bait people into arguing. I am not the first, nor will I be the last, to utilize the word "troll" when referring to trouble makers on message boards. Troll is a commonly used term. Google it.
As far as the original post in this thread, I maintain my stance that a cheat is a cheat. If someone is in a situation where they "feel" they have no choice but to have full-fat ranch dressing on their salad, they are perfectly within their rights to do so. BUT, that is no more or less a cheat than pouring pure maple syrup on your pancake.
A cheat is a cheat.

Relax. Cool down. Blowing up because of nothing really just raises your cortisol levels and slows down your weight loss. Remember, it is your weight loss you should worry about, not that of other people. Weight loss is personal and there are hopefully many different successful roads to it.

DJ72
10-07-2013, 05:51 PM
Lolo70!!!!! Holy cow look at your weight loss! You are doing it right!
Great advice. Cortisol is a beast!

2much2do
10-07-2013, 06:30 PM
I have been trying to get up the courage to post this for a long time, but I was afraid it would devolve into everyone lecturing each other and fighting.

Knowing where foods rank has been very helpful to me. I thought it might be helpful to others. But as you can see, we can't even have that discussion here because everyone is too busy fighting. I should have kept it to myself.

dak1lls
10-07-2013, 06:35 PM

Nuts
Extra restricted IP bar

There are times when an emotional stress would make it so easy to resort to old habits of stuffing my emotions down with food. I just can't go there.

I feel fortunate I have been able to stay 100%. I agree that thinking about cheating makes me uncomfortable as well, but it is a reality that if we lower our guard and disregard the reason we are on IP, and stop holding ourselves accountable it is a slippery slope that will lead to no good.

We all have varying opinions and such strong feelings about this because it affects our relationships, our self esteem, and impacts our health for the rest of our lives. I am so glad that we have such passionate members who are supportive as well as tough on one another. Please everyone remember that intent and tone is very hard to convey in written format and to always try to imagine the good intent behind a message.

dak1lls
10-07-2013, 06:39 PM
I have been trying to get up the courage to post this for a long time, but I was afraid it would devolve into everyone lecturing each other and fighting.

Knowing where foods rank has been very helpful to me. I thought it might be helpful to others. But as you can see, we can't even have that discussion here because everyone is too busy fighting. I should have kept it to myself.

By the way, I think it is very helpful to understand how these foods affect us. It will be important in maintenance to make the best choices. For now, on P1 and during phasing off, I think you could rank these all #1 as worst cheats. lol. Anything that is not OP would be #1 on the list. :hug:

Meeshellee
10-07-2013, 06:57 PM

I was excited to read this thread and compare others ratings to my own.

To get back to the original purpose of this thread, here's my "hierarchy"...judge if you wish, but in order to keep my sanity I've chosen to eat a salad with regular dressing instead of a pizza...maybe it affected my losses, but I'm perfectly content with my progress.

4. Regular salad dressing Ranch, blue cheese, caesar
5. Fatty meat ribeye, strip, NY steak
12. Extra unrestricted protein packet
6. Complex carbs brown rice, potatoes, oat meal, corn, beans
1. Sugar + Fat doughnuts, French fries, ice cream
10. Off plan vegetables like artichoke hearts
8. Nuts
2. Simple carbs white bread, white rice, pasta
9. Fat free dairy - skim milk, yogurt, cottage cheese
11. Extra restricted IP bar
3. Fatty dairy cheese, sour cream, cream cheese
7. Sweet sauces - barbecue, teriyaki, cocktail

Wow! I always love to read the responses when somebody mentions the "c" word!
Remember folks that we are all adults here and answer directly to ourselves. What we do and don't do only hurt ourselves.
I strongly applaud all the 100% IPers out there, and I myself am staying 100%. I do not believe this thread was started to encourage cheating and I do not think that anybody should be chastised for this post. We are all entitled to our opinions. What we believe and don't believe is up to us. If you don't like what you have just read then carry on.
Remind me to NEVER mention if I cheat... WOW

We'll said.

Very well stated!

So true!

I'm glad you shared. I'm curious as to how your list compares to mine. Would you mind sending it to me in a private message?

2much2do
10-07-2013, 07:01 PM
I hate that I feel like I have to defend myself. I have been on IP since July 4, reached my goal weight (the lowest weight I have reached as an adult), and cheated just a few times. Those times mostly involved work events where it would have been extremely conspicuous to stay on plan.

When I'm in a difficult situation and I look at the various options, it's important for me to know whether I'm better off eating that salad with nuts in it (and hoping I can pick them all out) or chicken breast with a slice of cheese melted on top. Which is worse for me?

I didn't realize my situation was so unique. I do have a very intense job working with lots of elected officials, chief executives and other influential people. It's just not always possible for me to slip out of an event and eat my own food. I don't always know how long I will be at an event. I think I've done an excellent job staying on plan considering my circumstances and my results show that.

I'm really surprised at the attitudes here. dak1lls - I appreciate your outlook on all of this. But do you honestly believe that eating a doughnut is just as bad as eating extra vegetables? Or that eating french fries is the equivalent of eating an extra unrestricted packet? To me, there is a distinction and it is an important one.

Lisa - you posted the link to the Real Cost of Cheating - as if I haven't read that document a dozen times. I get it. I really do. Cheating is bad. But having extra fat or extra protein doesn't compromise your results to the same degree that carbs do. I could eat some almonds and still stay in ketosis. But 3 bites of a doughnut and I'm going to be paying for it for a week.

As I leave phase I this week and start trying to learn to eat in the real world, I think these distinctions matter. I'm sorry I'm the only one who feels that way. I don't think this group is the right place for me.

Skeeterab
10-07-2013, 07:04 PM
Hi 2much2do,

I am sorry that you are getting such a hard time. I think that your question is a valid one. I would re-phrase it as which cheat is most likely to bring me out of ketosis. Ideally, we would all be 100% on plan all the time, but sometimes it just doesn't work out that way.

I am also new here. I was humming along really well for three weeks 100% on plan and then had a really stressful event come along last week and I ate 2 additional restricted packets one day. I was ravenously hungry and really miserable for the next week (e.g., headaches, dizzyness). I still lost 6 pounds last week, but the cheat made me miserable because I shifted myself right out of ketosis. If I had cheated with something that had fat and/or protein but not carbohydrates, it would have still been a cheat that slowed down my progress, but at least I probably wouldn't have had the miserable follow up week trying to get back into ketosis.

I would say that the cheat with the least amount of carbohydrates would be the least damaging. I am not planning on cheating any time soon, but if I slip up, I will try to make sure that I am eating additional protein/fat and not additional carbohydrates.

Of course I am new here, and many people who have done well on this program advocate 100% on plan. I don't disagree. I just think that we need try NOT to stray in a direction that makes it incredibly hard to get back on the path, and need to forgive ourselves when we slip up.

Best,
Anita

lisa32989
10-07-2013, 07:08 PM
I also think it is a very different outlook once you have reached goal than it is when you're on P1 and facing a plan for HOW TO STAY ON PLAN no matter what.

An IP coach would consider ANY deviation from the P1 sheet a "cheat"

The tone of the original post makes it sound like the cheats are planned, rather than planning to NOT cheat. Most of the folks on P1 are working hard at staying OP.

Again, a totally different outlook once you reach goal (first of all, probably shouldn't be calling it "cheating").

I think what we have here are people on 2 different tracks.

sjerrott
10-07-2013, 07:10 PM
Interesting question:

Here's my hierarchy:

5. Regular salad dressing – Ranch, blue cheese, caesar
11. Fatty meat – ribeye, strip, NY steak
12. Extra unrestricted protein packet
1. Complex carbs – brown rice, potatoes, oat meal, corn, beans
2. Sugar + Fat – doughnuts, French fries, ice cream
10. Off plan vegetables like artichoke hearts
8. Nuts
3. Simple carbs – white bread, white rice, pasta
9. Fat free dairy - skim milk, yogurt, cottage cheese
6. Extra restricted IP bar
4. Fatty dairy – cheese, sour cream, cream cheese
7. Sweet sauces - barbecue, teriyaki, cocktail

dak1lls
10-07-2013, 07:15 PM
I hate that I feel like I have to defend myself. I have been on IP since July 4, reached my goal weight (the lowest weight I have reached as an adult), and cheated just a few times. Those times mostly involved work events where it would have been extremely conspicuous to stay on plan.

When I'm in a difficult situation and I look at the various options, it's important for me to know whether I'm better off eating that salad with nuts in it (and hoping I can pick them all out) or chicken breast with a slice of cheese melted on top. Which is worse for me?

I didn't realize my situation was so unique. I do have a very intense job working with lots of elected officials, chief executives and other influential people. It's just not always possible for me to slip out of an event and eat my own food. I don't always know how long I will be at an event. I think I've done an excellent job staying on plan considering my circumstances and my results show that.

I'm really surprised at the attitudes here. dak1lls - I appreciate your outlook on all of this. But do you honestly believe that eating a doughnut is just as bad as eating extra vegetables? Or that eating french fries is the equivalent of eating an extra unrestricted packet? To me, there is a distinction and it is an important one.

Lisa - you posted the link to the Real Cost of Cheating - as if I haven't read that document a dozen times. I get it. I really do. Cheating is bad. But having extra fat or extra protein doesn't compromise your results to the same degree that carbs do. I could eat some almonds and still stay in ketosis. But 3 bites of a doughnut and I'm going to be paying for it for a week.

As I leave phase I this week and start trying to learn to eat in the real world, I think these distinctions matter. I'm sorry I'm the only one who feels that way. I don't think this group is the right place for me.

I completely see what you are saying and simply was trying to show you the hierarchy I have placed on these items. You asked how others would place these in the hierarchy of cheating and I answered truthfully.You stated, "to me there is a distinction". Each of us makes the decision on how we will or are able to follow IP; based on varying factors. Our schedules and jobs being a vital factor. My distinction, based on my own life is that they all rank #1. I have unfortunately failed to plan and been in a position where there was no "good" option that was OP. I ended up drinking water and not eating until later. It may not work for everyone and always depends on the circumstances. It doesn't mean I don't live in the real world. It simply means I made a different decision. You should not feel you are defending yourself if others express a differing view.

Princess Peacock
10-07-2013, 07:19 PM

It may be helpful to realize that everyone's job is important. I'm not quite sure why posting how "influential" the people you work with are is relevant to this conversation. I work with critically ill patients. Some people who post here are teachers of special needs children. And, yes, there are even some very important stay-at-home mothers. EVERYONE's job is important.

If you had begun this thread by stating you would soon be leaving stage 1 (which you just now mentioned after explaining how important your job was) then maybe the responses you received would have been different. But you entitled it "cheating hierarchy" and stated that everyone cheats, which they do not.

And I'm still trying to understand how elected officials and influential people would cause you to not follow protocol, as you have obviously been following it up until now and have done very well!

Sunflower40
10-07-2013, 08:17 PM
almonds
cheese
avocado
peanut butter

all good fats with hardly any carbs

good luck in your weight loss journey....

2much2do
10-07-2013, 08:18 PM
1. Extra unrestricted protein packet
2. Off plan vegetables avocado, artichoke hearts, carrots
3. Nuts
4. Regular salad dressing Ranch, blue cheese, ceasar
5. Fat free dairy
6. Fatty meat ribeye, strip, NY steak
7. Fatty dairy cheese, sour cream, cream cheese
8. Extra restricted IP bar
9. Complex carbs brown rice, potatoes, oat meal, corn, beans
10. Sweet sauces barbecue, teriyaki
11. Simple carbs white bread, white rice, pasta
12. Sugar + Fat doughnuts, French fries, ice cream

I have to eat at catered events quite often, so keep in mind that I'm usually trying to pick things out of meals that have already been prepared. That's my context.

I listed the unrestricted packet first. I still exercise (cardio only), so my coach has indicated that if I get hungry, I can do an extra packet. So that is my first fallback. I've only had to do it twice. But usually if I get hungry, it's because I worked out too long or too hard.

I put the off plan vegetables second - mainly because the quantities are usually really small. When I order the steamed vegetables at Rumbi's, they can't take the carrots out. So I end up having to pick out shredded carrots. I never can get every last one. But I figure I'm better off eating a few shreds of carrots than ordering anything else on the menu. I've had the same thing happen with salads that show up and have artichoke hearts in them. Sometimes they hide in the lettuce and it's hard to pick them all out.

Nuts are a toss up. My coach tells me I can eat a few almonds or pistachios and not affect my ketosis. So if those are in a salad, I try to avoid them, but I don't feel like I have to be fanatical about it.

I've only had regular salad dressing once - when I ran out of dressing packets. I order it on the side and just dip a little lettuce in it to lubricate my salad. I think it's better to have the lettuce and vegetables and use a little dressing than to go all day without eating.

I put carb + sugar at the very bottom. I just don't think there is a worse cheat than that. Some of you have put the sauces at the bottom, but those are usually in small enough quantities that they wouldn't give you overwhelming cravings the next day. I know if I ate a bunch of cookies or other desserts, I would have great difficulty saying no to such things the next day.

Princess Peacock - please don't respond to any more of my posts. I don't come here to be insulted and misrepresented. I come here to support and be supported. Your posts are not helpful to me. Thanks!

Skeeterab
10-07-2013, 08:21 PM
It may be helpful to realize that everyone's job is important. I'm not quite sure why posting how "influential" the people you work with is relevant to this conversation. I work with critically ill patients. Some people who post here are teachers of special needs children. And, yes, there are even some very important stay-at-home mothers. EVERYONE's job is important.

If you had begun this thread by stating you would soon be leaving stage 1 (which you just now mentioned after explaining how important your job was) then maybe the responses you received would have been different. But you entitled it "cheating hierarchy" and stated that everyone cheats, which they do not.
And I'm still trying to understand how elected officials and influential people would cause you to not follow protocol, as you have obviously been following it up until now and have done very well!

Princess Peacock,

I can't speak for the original poster, but I don't think that she was implying that she has trouble with the plan because her job is so important due to working with influential people. I don't think that she was implying that her job is more important that those of the other people on the board.

I think that her point is that she works with people who are, or at least think they are, really important and who think that she should be able to completely organize her life around their changing schedules and drop everything at a moments notice. In jobs like this, if are far from the top of the hierarchy, when the important person or people say "jump" you have to jump. The schedules change or are revised constantly and many, many professional work events involve food. Also, if it looks like you aren't eating the food provided at the event and your supervisor or co-workers notice it can cause serious problems in a field where appearances matter so much. I don't work in politics, but I have had a job with some similar challenges and I can't image that it is easy to stay on plan under those circumstances.

Other jobs may make it difficult to stay on plan for other reasons. Other life circumstances may make it harder or easier for some to stay on plan than others. For example, I realize that it is much easier for me to stay on plan than for a mother or father who has to prepare separate meals for children.

I don't think that she was trying to explain why it is harder for her to stay on plan, I think she was just describing why she feels like it is hard for her to stay on plan.

Anita

Meeshellee
10-07-2013, 08:28 PM
It may be helpful to realize that everyone's job is important. I'm not quite sure why posting how "influential" the people you work with are is relevant to this conversation. I work with critically ill patients. Some people who post here are teachers of special needs children. And, yes, there are even some very important stay-at-home mothers. EVERYONE's job is important.

I think she was just trying to explain that her job isn't as flexible or as regimented as other professions might be. I doubt she was insinuating that her job is more important than anyone else's. I absolutely understand this. On most days my job is very structured and what I have for lunch is up to me. There are days however, like today, where my boss pulls me away for an unexpected working lunch at a pizza restaurant. I can't just pull out my shaker and my foil pouch in the middle of the meeting and start mixing up my lunch. So I chose to opt for the salad bar with light ranch dressing and pass on the pizza. This way I'm eating with the group, not being disrespectful to the host, and still losing weight.

Ruth Ann
10-07-2013, 09:28 PM
1. Extra unrestricted protein packet
2. Off plan vegetables – avocado, artichoke hearts, carrots
3. Nuts
4. Regular salad dressing – Ranch, blue cheese, ceasar
5. Fat free dairy
6. Fatty meat – ribeye, strip, NY steak
7. Fatty dairy – cheese, sour cream, cream cheese
8. Extra restricted IP bar
9. Complex carbs – brown rice, potatoes, oat meal, corn, beans
10. Sweet sauces – barbecue, teriyaki
11. Simple carbs – white bread, white rice, pasta
12. Sugar + Fat – doughnuts, French fries, ice cream

I have to eat at catered events quite often, so keep in mind that I'm usually trying to pick things out of meals that have already been prepared. That's my context.

I listed the unrestricted packet first. I still exercise (cardio only), so my coach has indicated that if I get hungry, I can do an extra packet. So that is my first fallback. I've only had to do it twice. But usually if I get hungry, it's because I worked out too long or too hard.

I put the off plan vegetables second - mainly because the quantities are usually really small. When I order the steamed vegetables at Rumbi's, they can't take the carrots out. So I end up having to pick out shredded carrots. I never can get every last one. But I figure I'm better off eating a few shreds of carrots than ordering anything else on the menu. I've had the same thing happen with salads that show up and have artichoke hearts in them. Sometimes they hide in the lettuce and it's hard to pick them all out.

Nuts are a toss up. My coach tells me I can eat a few almonds or pistachios and not affect my ketosis. So if those are in a salad, I try to avoid them, but I don't feel like I have to be fanatical about it.

I've only had regular salad dressing once - when I ran out of dressing packets. I order it on the side and just dip a little lettuce in it to lubricate my salad. I think it's better to have the lettuce and vegetables and use a little dressing than to go all day without eating.

I put carb + sugar at the very bottom. I just don't think there is a worse cheat than that. Some of you have put the sauces at the bottom, but those are usually in small enough quantities that they wouldn't give you overwhelming cravings the next day. I know if I ate a bunch of cookies or other desserts, I would have great difficulty saying no to such things the next day.

Princess Peacock - please don't respond to any more of my posts. I don't come here to be insulted and misrepresented. I come here to support and be supported. Your posts are not helpful to me. Thanks!

2much2do - I think (I could be wrong, it happens) that what you are really asking is "if you're in a situation where you can't eat what you planned, what is going to be the least damaging to your progress."

Salad - you can eat around the non-allowed veggies as best you can and skip the dressing. Chicken with cheese melted on it you can scrape the cheese off and just eat the chicken. In a pinch you can kind of push the food around on your plate and eat later. Food allergies is always a good excuse - I use the "I'm allergic to dairy and gluten" (which I figure is sort of true - it makes me break out in fat).

You can keep a bar or chocolate soy puffs in your purse and sneak out to the hall for a few bites to keep you going.

Quite honestly, at these catered affairs nobody really pays attention to what other people eat.

I think people here mostly were trying to point out that no cheat is good and with prior planning you can make most all situations work for you and stay on plan.

Congratulations on hitting your goal - that's a wonderful accomplishment you should feel good about!

jmanovich
10-07-2013, 10:25 PM
2much2do- I completely agree with everything you post. I too have been at the brunt of some controversy for similar ideas (as you probably know!)

Why are we not allowed to have one thread on this forum where we can talk about this freely without backlash? I am respectful enough not to post in the 100% thread- as I am not 100% the majority of the time! And by not 100% I mean an extra egg...some shredded carrots in my bagged salads, etc. not chips, cake, etc. and this all ties back in with the heirarchy of foods as you say. I have also been quite happy with my progress as well- I went and weighed in and measured today after a month long "break" (i like to look it as maintenance practice!) I am only up 1.4lbs and still lost another 1.5in for a total of 21lbs and 28 inches since Aug 2! Whoooo! I have now started on the alternative P1 plan. :)

2much2do
10-07-2013, 10:46 PM
jmanovich - is there another forum somewhere where you don't have to be so politically correct all the time? I've seen some IP groups on Facebook, but I need to maintain my privacy. I know how helpful supportive forums can be - I had a really good one for stillbirth moms that helped me through some tough times. There are some good people on this forum, but I just haven't had a good experience here when I post. There's got to be something out there for us imperfect people!

jmanovich
10-07-2013, 11:18 PM
I haven't found anything comparable yet...something about this forum and the people here just keep me coming back :hug:

Yes, there will always be the few that you just can't get along with- just like in the offline world. Just trying to move past that all.

The problem with me finding a different place to chat is - I do follow IP so closely. I eat the food...I go to the clinic weekly...etc etc I just simply do small modifications. I find that I "jive" the best with these ladies as I have similar struggles and similar NSVs, etc. I just tend to keep the things I do "off plan" to myself now. Hey- if my ticker keeps going down, who knows any different!?

Each of us could come on here and preach 110% but what we do in our private lives away from this forum could be completely opposite. (not encouraging this by any means, just sayin!)

Sending :dust: to all...and to all a goodnight! :)

Meeshellee
10-07-2013, 11:48 PM
There should be a 90% thread for those of us that don't pick the carrots out of bagged salad yet continue to lose weight. :)

trishthayer
10-08-2013, 12:16 AM
So start a 90% thread and state at the onset what it is and to whom it will cater too. If you guys are respectfull of not posting on the 100% thread then I would think they would resipricate.

trishthayer
10-08-2013, 12:17 AM
Or maybe an IP ish thread in the low carb section?

DJ72
10-08-2013, 12:30 AM
There should be a 90% thread for those of us that don't pick the carrots out of bagged salad yet continue to lose weight. :)

Lmao. Love the way you think!

smoothysmom
10-08-2013, 12:32 AM
It makes me kind of sad to read all the responses on this thread. I agree with and have followed the whole idea of "this diet is different from other diets because it is a no-cheat diet". I understand the biochemistry involved that means we aren't "being tricky" or "getting away with something" like many of us have done on past (failed) diets.

I tried to comment once, quite a while ago, to tell people about the really truly unpleasant physical side effects I experienced when I put other people's feelings ahead of my own health and ate off-plan. I was also severely chastised, scolded, and felt attacked! And I wasn't even trying to justify the cheat or going on & on about what I ate , thus making others long for that thing. I honestly just wanted people to know about the physical negatives that happen in addition to the whole hassle of getting back into ketosis.

It's too bad this very supportive group can't look at what the writers are trying to convey instead of freaking out about it. I just started Phase 2 and had an incident today where I had to eat somewhere that I couldn't bring my IP goodies into. I ordered what I thought would be good - a veggies & turkey wrap without the wrap - and was halfway into it before realizing that there was mayo (or some kind of dressing) on it. Darn. I'd already tried to get the shredded (teeny tiny shreds) carrots off to one side, and then blam! Yuck!

I think your questions and ideas are REAL and practical. Please don't leave the forum based on this experience. As a previous poster mentioned, when there are no GOOD options, it's smart to know which are the least bad.

In life as in IP, people seem to think that we choose between clearly good or clearly bad options when more often than not, we have to choose between bad or worse and not simply good or bad.

jmanovich
10-08-2013, 12:34 AM
We could make this that thread. the 90%...for all of us who eat the carrots in the bagged salads!!!!!!!!! And I thought I was the only one who did this on IP! haha!

Maxxy
10-08-2013, 12:39 AM
It makes me kind of sad to read all the responses on this thread. I agree with and have followed the whole idea of "this diet is different from other diets because it is a no-cheat diet". I understand the biochemistry involved that means we aren't "being tricky" or "getting away with something" like many of us have done on past (failed) diets.

I tried to comment once, quite a while ago, to tell people about the really truly unpleasant physical side effects I experienced when I put other people's feelings ahead of my own health and ate off-plan. I was also severely chastised, scolded, and felt attacked! And I wasn't even trying to justify the cheat or going on & on about what I ate , thus making others long for that thing. I honestly just wanted people to know about the physical negatives that happen in addition to the whole hassle of getting back into ketosis.

It's too bad this very supportive group can't look at what the writers are trying to convey instead of freaking out about it. I just started Phase 2 and had an incident today where I had to eat somewhere that I couldn't bring my IP goodies into. I ordered what I thought would be good - a veggies & turkey wrap without the wrap - and was halfway into it before realizing that there was mayo (or some kind of dressing) on it. Darn. I'd already tried to get the shredded (teeny tiny shreds) carrots off to one side, and then blam! Yuck!

I think your questions and ideas are REAL and practical. Please don't leave the forum based on this experience. As a previous poster mentioned, when there are no GOOD options, it's smart to know which are the least bad.

In life as in IP, people seem to think that we choose between clearly good or clearly bad options when more often than not, we have to choose between bad or worse and not simply good or bad.

I'm not going to comment on this thread but....don't stop posting because of others. Everyone is free to post as they please. We all have opinions and we are all here for help! I too wanted to drop this day one as I didn't think I was posting correctly. I got a lot of support and took the advice I chose to! Some love controversy!

Do what's right for you!

Meeshellee
10-08-2013, 12:44 AM
Lmao. Love the way you think!

Thanks. I would start a 90% thread, but I don't have the energy to deal with how some may react to that.

I'm sorry you felt attacked and weren't able to share your situation and have it well received. Sometimes it seems like some think you should go without when there are no 100% options available and wait until you can get to your nearest packet. I know, for me, this will not work. When I go without i feel deprived and am less likely to stick with it long term. If I can compromise and find the "smartest cheat" that will do the least damage to my progress, it helps me stick to the plan long term.

bindersbee
10-08-2013, 01:28 AM
I'm a 90%er and proud of it! I am thankful that the OP posted the "cheating hierarchy" because it matters to me as well. I ended up going rouge at a luncheon last week at an out-of-state conference. I wasn't about to make a fuss about the meal that was served in front of the other 10 professionals at my table. Maybe some on this thread would see making such a fuss as a badge of honor but it would have been unprofessional in the setting I was in. I am sure others, both professionals and SAHMS alike, have found themselves in similar settings, and having to make similar choices.

Sure, my weight loss stalled a bit as a result of that choice (the natural consequence) BUT I applied conscious thought to what I was eating, excluded the things I could (no bread) and did the best I could in the situation. I also got right back on plan immediately after and learning how to do THAT is the most important skill I think I will learn on my entire weight loss journey.

I am not in a race to some imaginary finish line. There IS no finish line and getting into that mode of thought is dangerous for long-term success (I know because I've done that one, more than once). Losing more weight a few weeks faster isn't more important to me than living my life in the present- I am living now (which means going out and being part of the world), not putting it off until I am thin and "worthy". That's MY choice and it's a totally legit one even if it's not what others might choose.

And now because the response to this thread has pissed me off, I will also go so far as to add that eating unconsciously is why we're all here. I personally think that the hard-core "don't-you-dare-ever-fall-short-of-the-mark-or-your-failing" is just to opposite side of the same food obsession coin that landed us in fatland in the first place. Switching the focus of the obsession doesn't cure it- the same thought processes are still at work. I don't think I should be ruled by a preoccupation with cheesecake or an obsession for foil packets.

I applaud the poster for trying to apply the IP concepts beyond the foil-wrapped packets to the world that some of us live in. I am sure making conscious food choices and weighing the potential cost/value of the choices will help her in the maintenance phase that I hope to reach myself- EVENTUALLY.

I love the idea of a 90% thread! We're all on a different path and the RIGHT way to do it is what works for the individual involved. Some will get there through the relentless pursuit of perfection and others of us will get there the 90% route- if a little slower. To each his own!

infoplease
10-08-2013, 02:39 AM
bindersbee, your comments on the food obsession piece are right on target, in my opinion.
I agree with 2much2do's hierarchy.

As most have said, the goal is 100% and to be focused on being prepared to stay 100% to the greatest extent possible.

My view of p1 from maintenance is that you do need to look at it as the first step to how you eat from now on. Part of that is always going to be exactly how you will handle social/work food situations, both the kinds you can "control"-- thru eating before, talking to the hostess, bringing your own food--and those you can't.

Yes, the natural consequence of not following the plan (p1, p2, p3 or p4) will always be the effect on your weight. But stressing out over what to do/what you did also has the natural consequence of impacting your weight. 2much2do's heirarchy is her fallback, with her first choice being staying 100%, so that she doesn't have to stress out each time she is placed in the situation.

Each of us came to need IP for different reasons around our relationship with food. In many ways IP is "one size fits all". I know my coach worked very hard with me to make tiny modifications (doing IP as a vegetarian likely made my carbs more than typical, adding non-restricteds with exercise, using two non-restricted to replace protein at dinner) to help me stay as close to 100% as possible.

IP brings us the diet, the science and what is going on in our bodies. Only thru these sorts of discussions can we sort thru what is going on in our heads.

Aydubs
10-08-2013, 03:12 AM
I'd like to see where low sugar alcohol falls on this list for everyone. I have a vodka soda with the girls every once in a while. Maybe I would be five pounds thinner if I didn't. I'd rather have a drink:)
And the reality is if what someone says in this forum is going to make or break this program for you, you are doomed from the start. We only answer to ourselves. Not a coach and surly not anyone here. Criticizing the person who made or participated in this thread is bizarre.
Now, go have a drink!

katenh
10-08-2013, 05:24 AM
I am glad this thread was posted. I woke up this morning disappointed as I had a glass of wine last night and yes a fatty piece of meat. The scale reflected my cheat and it just reaffirms my need to not go off plan. Ultimately it is me I am hurting and after losing 14 pounds and one size down I need to reset my head on this diet. I guess my thought was after four weeks on plan it was not going to affect it too much, but I learned a valuable lesson! That being said I forgave myself and laid out my foods today and back to plan.No sense focusing on the negative and beating myself up further, that will only send me into the emotional cycle I was in before and I never want to go back there.

Avalon1957
10-08-2013, 05:36 AM
If anyone can go off plan and lose weight, more power to them. I'm envious!!

But I am addicted to exponential losses like these (48 pounds and 9 inches off my waistline in a bit over 2 months).
This is much more of thrill for me and what's possible if you stick with the plan 100%.

https://mindstar.com/scratch/WL_2013_10_08_sml.jpg

https://mindstar.com/scratch/ML_2013_10_08_sml.jpg

That being said, any pound lost is a good thing, no matter if it takes a day, or a month. For me, I would much rather do it in a day!

But, hey, whatever works for you! I don't begrudge anyone their successes, no matter how small.

Ultimately, we are all here trying to get healthier, look better, and improve our lives, and that is a noble cause no matter how you slice it.

But I will say this, at least for me, that cheating has always been a "slippery slope" and ultimately has led me to a dieting fail -- and I have finally learned from my past dieting mistakes. But that is just my own personal experience of it.

swerdna59
10-08-2013, 07:58 AM
Whew...maybe the word cheat should not be used...figuring out how to eat to be healthy and maintain one's desired weight is extremely complicated. Doing the best I can each day is my goal. Some days are more challenging than others. Varied perspectives offer different ways to think about one's own situation. Play nice.

Milli55
10-08-2013, 08:06 AM
Whew...maybe the word cheat should not be used...figuring out how to eat to be healthy and maintain one's desired weight is extremely complicated. Doing the best I can each day is my goal. Some days are more challenging than others. Varied perspectives offer different ways to think about one's own situation. Play nice.

Amen!

Avalon1957
10-08-2013, 08:12 AM
I was simply using the word that the OP put forth in their original post. It's not my word, it's theirs (note the title of this thread).

Peace

Clarington45
10-08-2013, 08:27 AM
I'm a 90%er and proud of it! I am thankful that the OP posted the "cheating hierarchy" because it matters to me as well. I ended up going rouge at a luncheon last week at an out-of-state conference. I wasn't about to make a fuss about the meal that was served in front of the other 10 professionals at my table. Maybe some on this thread would see making such a fuss as a badge of honor but it would have been unprofessional in the setting I was in. I am sure others, both professionals and SAHMS alike, have found themselves in similar settings, and having to make similar choices.

Sure, my weight loss stalled a bit as a result of that choice (the natural consequence) BUT I applied conscious thought to what I was eating, excluded the things I could (no bread) and did the best I could in the situation. I also got right back on plan immediately after and learning how to do THAT is the most important skill I think I will learn on my entire weight loss journey.

I am not in a race to some imaginary finish line. There IS no finish line and getting into that mode of thought is dangerous for long-term success (I know because I've done that one, more than once). Losing more weight a few weeks faster isn't more important to me than living my life in the present- I am living now (which means going out and being part of the world), not putting it off until I am thin and "worthy". That's MY choice and it's a totally legit one even if it's not what others might choose.

And now because the response to this thread has pissed me off, I will also go so far as to add that eating unconsciously is why we're all here. I personally think that the hard-core "don't-you-dare-ever-fall-short-of-the-mark-or-your-failing" is just to opposite side of the same food obsession coin that landed us in fatland in the first place. Switching the focus of the obsession doesn't cure it- the same thought processes are still at work. I don't think I should be ruled by a preoccupation with cheesecake or an obsession for foil packets.

I applaud the poster for trying to apply the IP concepts beyond the foil-wrapped packets to the world that some of us live in. I am sure making conscious food choices and weighing the potential cost/value of the choices will help her in the maintenance phase that I hope to reach myself- EVENTUALLY.

I love the idea of a 90% thread! We're all on a different path and the RIGHT way to do it is what works for the individual involved. Some will get there through the relentless pursuit of perfection and others of us will get there the 90% route- if a little slower. To each his own!

I would definitely be interested in a 90 percent thread.. I have looked through the low carb threads, but really I am trying to following IP alternative protocal most of the time.. so a 90 percent thread would be a great alternative to the alternative lol.. the Atkins one isn't appropriate and the low carb isn't terribly active ..cheers

Princess Peacock
10-08-2013, 09:15 AM
Why are we not allowed to have one thread on this forum where we can talk about this freely without backlash? I am respectful enough not to post in the 100% thread- as I am not 100% the majority of the time!

jmanovich - is there another forum somewhere where you don't have to be so politically correct all the time?

We could make this that thread. the 90%...for all of us who eat the carrots in the bagged salads!!!!!!!!! And I thought I was the only one who did this on IP! haha!

Thanks. I would start a 90% thread, but I don't have the energy to deal with how some may react to that.

I would definitely be interested in a 90 percent thread.. I have looked through the low carb threads, but really I am trying to following IP alternative protocal most of the time.. so a 90 percent thread would be a great alternative to the alternative lol.. the Atkins one isn't appropriate and the low carb isn't terribly active ..cheers

With all of the interest in a 90% thread, why hasn't someone taken the time to start one? It really isn't that hard and only takes a few seconds to do.
There definitely seems to be an interest in one and would avoid some of the drama.

sekc14
10-08-2013, 09:16 AM
If you're really active, the calories on IP are too low and additional calories are necessary or else you go into starvation mode and metabolism drops. IP is not designed like WW to compensate for activity so, the rule is keep exercise at a minimum. I'm not advocating cheating but, if you're going to have extra food, the IP plan is to use 1 extra pack, meaning 4 IP rather than 3 IP for the day. For me, reg salad dressing is worse than meat because it has dairy and sugar (carbs). I'm on alternate but, for other health reasons have decided to not eat dairy (milk, cheese, yogurt, or any product with whey or casein). Also, no grains (wheat, corn, etc.) -- this is for my body only not advocating it for others. IP helped me realize I have a sensitivity to milk proteins and it causes acne, body pain weirdness. I am doing an alternate plan but, weight loss is slow. I envy those who can tolerate the IP products

Here's my hierarchy:
1 Extra unrestricted protein packet
2 Fatty meat – ribeye, strip, NY steak
3 Off plan vegetables like artichoke hearts (why not just have more on plan veggies?)
4 Extra restricted IP bar
5. Regular salad dressing – Ranch, blue cheese, caesar

(Would not even go there, while trying to lose weight, on the rest of this list because of calorie density and/or sugar but....)
6 Nuts
7. Fat free dairy - skim milk, yogurt, cottage cheese
8 Fatty dairy – cheese, sour cream, cream cheese
9 Complex carbs – brown rice, potatoes, oat meal, corn, beans
10 Sweet sauces - barbecue, teriyaki, cocktail
11 Simple carbs – white bread, white rice, pasta
2. Sugar + Fat – doughnuts, French fries, ice cream

Avalon1957
10-08-2013, 10:26 AM
If you're really active, the calories on IP are too low and additional calories are necessary or else you go into starvation mode and metabolism drops.

You know this is exactly what I thought when I started! And was one of the reasons I delayed doing this diet for more than a year. My BMR was around 2400 calories a day when I started and all my doctors told me 900 calories was too few. After 18 months of floundering on my own, I thought what the heck and gave IP a try and proceeded to lose almost 50 pounds in a bit over 2 months ... WITH NO PLATEAUS for the first time in my life (on any diet).

IP is not designed like WW to compensate for activity so, the rule is keep exercise at a minimum.

I did continue my exercise bike and yoga ball all through IP (even at the beginning) but I did turn down the resistance on my bike to 8 (out of 20) and I was doing 12.

I'm not advocating cheating but, if you're going to have extra food, the IP plan is to use 1 extra pack, meaning 4 IP rather than 3 IP for the day.

I totally agree with this! I have done this on a few days. Either that or an extra 4 oz of lean protein. I dont actually consider that "cheating" since it keeps your body carb/sugar deprived (which is the whole point of IP).

For me, reg salad dressing is worse than meat because it has dairy and sugar (carbs).

Yes exactly, stay away from carbs and sugar, and you are on the right track!

I'm on alternate but, for other health reasons have decided to not eat dairy (milk, cheese, yogurt, or any product with whey or casein). Also, no grains (wheat, corn, etc.) -- this is for my body only not advocating it for others. IP helped me realize I have a sensitivity to milk proteins and it causes acne, body pain weirdness. I am doing an alternate plan but, weight loss is slow. I envy those who can tolerate the IP products

Sorry to hear about your food allergies -- I can't tolerate soy, which removes about 80% of all IP foods. I've lost most of my weight on the Chocolate Drink, which just has Milk (Whey) which I can tolerate well.

I agree that sometimes you have to fine tune things a bit to get things working with your body, but I have to admit that there is something "magical" about the 900 calories and the severe limiting of sugar and carbs that just caused the fat to BURN/MELT off my body in an unbelievable way without any of the "starvation mode plateaus" that seem to plague other diets and dieters.

kaplods
10-08-2013, 10:39 AM
90%ers may also be interested in The Simple Diet thread, "Dr. Anderson's simple diet" or the "General Meal Replacement Thread" (all meal replacement users welcome) in the Prepackaged main forum.

I started the latter because I don't fit into any of the "name brand" plans 100% and while the simple diet thread is very accepting, the thread is small and less active.
Than bigger, better known plans

foreveryoung
10-08-2013, 11:22 AM
@ 2much2do --- I'm sorry your post was taken out of context, I just wish if someone doesn't have anything good/encouraging to say just to refrain themselves but not they are there like they are the IP judges, ready to condem or set you free... That's the reason many people are lurking and not really pouring their struggles so they can get the help/advice needed to keep going... You don't need to explain yourself why or why not, obviously some people don't get it, I also do understand is part of the written communication, no feelings, so it's hard, but some people just need to mind their own business and keep doing whatever works for them, and know that no one wants to hear from if they are going to judge..... Can we bann people of the thread? :) it'll be awesome! Keep the great work, do what's best for you, in the end it's all what matters!

kcandponies
10-08-2013, 11:49 AM

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this post!!! :D

foreveryoung
10-08-2013, 12:13 PM
With all of the interest in a 90% thread, why hasn't someone taken the time to start one? It really isn't that hard and only takes a few seconds to do.
There definitely seems to be an interest in one and would avoid some of the drama.

Probably wouldn't be a good idea for you to step up and start one........ It seems ppl will be delighted to have you as their leader,

IdealProteinNewbie
10-08-2013, 12:47 PM
I would never speak for anyone else, but I often wonder if some of the "older and wiser" IP'ers are trying to prevent "cheats" from becoming a slippery slope.

I have chosen to be 100% but I wonder if any of you have started with regular salad dressing, saw you still lost that week so figured you could have bacon and continue losing. Then you did, so peanuts were thrown into the mix. Then shredded carrots weren't picked out of your salad, then an extra restricted and so on.

Just something to ponder.

sarahBell
10-08-2013, 12:50 PM
I came across this thread today and I am so sad to read some of the posts in here. I can see some of you are dedicated 100% OP and have intentions of deviating off it and to those who can do that I bow to your strength and dedication to be able to do that.........I wish I had that will power even at 3 1/2 weeks in I still don't.

My whole OP went to pots sunday while I was down seeing what was left of my childhood home. I have never been so heartbroken over something like this. I could not bring any of my stuff with me (except my 1 restricted) because there was no power, no way to heat/cook any packet. The red cross was handing out food and nothing was IP friendly. I sat on the stump of what use to be our weeping willow tree and cried and cried, I was handed a bottle of water and a sandwhich. I had not eaten since Friday afternoon, Saturday I could hardy eat anything I was so sick with worry after seeing the news from back home and that the tornado was a mile wide, 162 mph winds that split into 2 as it destroyed 3 houses on the gravel road.
And I ate something on our way home that was not OP for IP at all, because that is what we could find.

So yes I blew this week to **** I think, but I am trying like mad to get back OP, it is hard since I am stil lgrieving the loss of my parents house, my parents and neighbors are now homeless (staying in a hotel or with friends)

So if I get ripped for eating what I could I am so sorry :(

dak1lls
10-08-2013, 12:57 PM
I came across this thread today and I am so sad to read some of the posts in here. I can see some of you are dedicated 100% OP and have intentions of deviating off it and to those who can do that I bow to your strength and dedication to be able to do that.........I wish I had that will power even at 3 1/2 weeks in I still don't.

My whole OP went to pots sunday while I was down seeing what was left of my childhood home. I have never been so heartbroken over something like this. I could not bring any of my stuff with me (except my 1 restricted) because there was no power, no way to heat/cook any packet. The red cross was handing out food and nothing was IP friendly. I sat on the stump of what use to be our weeping willow tree and cried and cried, I was handed a bottle of water and a sandwhich. I had not eaten since Friday afternoon, Saturday I could hardy eat anything I was so sick with worry after seeing the news from back home and that the tornado was a mile wide, 162 mph winds that split into 2 as it destroyed 3 houses on the gravel road.
And I ate something on our way home that was not OP for IP at all, because that is what we could find.

So yes I blew this week to **** I think, but I am trying like mad to get back OP, it is hard since I am stil lgrieving the loss of my parents house, my parents and neighbors are now homeless (staying in a hotel or with friends)

My heart is breaking for you. I can never begin to imagine what you have been going through and how awful that was! Your description is heart wrenching! I can't imagine anyone would ever consider ripping you for your food choices during such a tremendously difficult situation. It is sad to think we can't share our experiences without making others feel judged. I certainly would never wish to contribute to making someone feel that way. My prayers are with you and your family sarahbell. :hug:

schenectady
10-08-2013, 01:31 PM

sarahbell - I think you have faced a life changing event which follows no laws and no rules - you are coping with something most of us can never imagine.

You and your family need to survive - however that is necessary. There are no judges or juries here to examine how anything is handled. What you need and deserve is sympathy, support, understanding and love and I hope that some how you are getting enough of that from here or wherever.

Hang in there, take it one day at a time and use this site as a place to vent, cry, whatever.

lisa32989
10-08-2013, 02:22 PM
sarahbell
facing a tragedy such as you are facing is so far outside the realm of any of the other discussions...

There is a difference between choosing sustenance and choosing OP foods or not.

I live in an area where tornadoes are commonplace. I have seen the destruction all too often. I have never lived that particular tragedy.

In the face of tragedy, we do our best just to get through a day.

sarahBell
10-08-2013, 02:43 PM
sarahbell
facing a tragedy such as you are facing is so far outside the realm of any of the other discussions...

There is a difference between choosing sustenance and choosing OP foods or not.

I live in an area where tornadoes are commonplace. I have seen the destruction all too often. I have never lived that particular tragedy.

In the face of tragedy, we do our best just to get through a day.

Lisa thank you so much for your sweet words. I am still a semi-basket case because I am up here unable to do anything to help :(

What would be the ideal "comfort" food for me would be an iced coffee. A starbucks Iced Via coffee with a little half and half.........a peaceful place to sit alone and have a cry where no one will see me. I have the IP cappuccino packets and coffee here at home but the taste of the starbucks or McDs iced coffee (just plain no syrup or anything) is comforting for some reason.

I am refraining from making one. Today I had my IP chocolate waffles (made from the pancake packet with added vanilla) and a homemade iced coffee.
Lunch 2 c of steam cauliflower and leek soup and mushed together (the soup was more like a sauce than soup with the veggies)

And I have not snacked on anything yet. I am trying hard as $@** to keep ontrack to counter balance the BBQ beef sand from sunday which was no way low fat or carbs! if I only lose 1/2 a pound this week then so be it. If I gain then so be it. ALl I can do is keep on plugging away for the rest of the weeks to come.

Jojo381972
10-08-2013, 02:44 PM
Sad new Sarabell. All the best to you and your family! Do your best everyday, but stuff happens and stress is a major reason why a lot of people overeat.

I'm trying to be 100% as I'm just starting this diet. I understand that people do and will cheat at times. Who knows, that could be me one day. I personally feel like I'm paying all this money, I don't want to cheat if I can help it. You do your best and that is all that should count. We all get there hopefully in the end anyway! One day at a time! :)

MelissaKate73
10-08-2013, 02:45 PM
:hug: Sarahbell. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Regarding the rest of this thread......to each, his own. Everyone needs to do what's best for ourselves. We each make our own choices and then live with the consequences of them. I'm following the plan 100% (and fully plan to stay that way), but I learned a long time ago what happens when you say "I will never" to anything. Life has a way of making you eat your words.

This is a public forum. Which means that anyone can post here. Even if their opinion or approach to IP is different from mine. Everyone has the right to post and voice their concerns, just as everyone has the right to ignore or not respond. Everyone on here also has the right to some respect. We're all here because we want to lose weight and get healthy. Respect that, while we won't all be coming from the same place, or even heading in the exact same direction, each of us are struggling to reach our goals in the best way we can.

Hugs to all. We're all AWESOME just because we keep trying. Perseverance is the key to success. So let's just all support each other and be proud that we're STILL HERE together.

sarahBell
10-08-2013, 02:55 PM
LIve and let live :)

Blessed900711
10-08-2013, 03:13 PM

Just love this post!!!!

65X65
10-08-2013, 03:46 PM
I would never speak for anyone else, but I often wonder if some of the "older and wiser" IP'ers are trying to prevent "cheats" from becoming a slippery slope.

I have chosen to be 100% but I wonder if any of you have started with regular salad dressing, saw you still lost that week so figured you could have bacon and continue losing. Then you did, so peanuts were thrown into the mix. Then shredded carrots weren't picked out of your salad, then an extra restricted and so on.

Just something to ponder.

I do think the "Not 100%s" probably need a place to post...and if that is so then so be it. I also think it would make sense to limit that talk to one thread because of what IPNewbie says. Everyone has to come to an easy peace and what they can live with be it 100% ..or some other manifestation of low carb. Also would rather see this as a low carb thread than IP...but that is my personal thought. It's confusing to new people when they read about the Off Plan stuff because there is such varied info from the IP sites, and most other diets the cheats are not as destructive or frowned on by the real philosophy and intent of the formal plan.

What is stated above is something I was pondering today and IPNewbie said it well. The other thing I'd like to add for thought, is about the opportunity to be forming habits for the future...every little thing adds up. Thinking it doesn't matter is how most of us got overweight. And that is the truth. If you disagree....you are not being honest, and it makes sense off plan stuff is OK in your world.

Over the course of a week once maintenance time arrives ...this kind of little stuff could easily mean ...a few glasses of wine or some other thing I've not tasted for a long time for the weekend.....again that's me. At my size....every shred of carrot/beets/avacado/bean and extra glop of sauce or extra ounce of meat I resist out of habits I'm forming now will allow me a piece of chocolate or ice cream...or wine with out eventually allowing unwanted weight to creep back.

This is about two things to me. HABITS and CHOICES.

Not criticizing ANYONE'S choices......but not forming good habits for the future while on this diet.. ...is a formula for failure in the future. The mindset will not be able to discern...but maybe your way of doing this in the past allowed you to be happy...if not successful? Again...it's a choice.

My hand is out to anyone trying not to slide down a slippery slope...but if you really want to go...and 90% means you are OK if eventually this stops working...I can not/will not stop anyone from doing it.

Hang on to your own hat.

CrystalWolf
10-08-2013, 05:38 PM
And I have not snacked on anything yet. I am trying hard as $@** to keep ontrack to counter balance the BBQ beef sand from sunday which was no way low fat or carbs! if I only lose 1/2 a pound this week then so be it. If I gain then so be it. ALl I can do is keep on plugging away for the rest of the weeks to come.

Sarahbell, you said it perfectly all you can do is just keep plugging away going forward. Don't beat yourself up over choices you had to make in a difficult situation. :hug:

While you didn't lose your own home, you are suffering for your family and the loss of your memories. In some ways I think it was harder on my family and friends to see me go through losing my home than it was on me to go through it. Take care of yourself.

Lolo70
10-08-2013, 05:54 PM
I do think the "Not 100%s" probably need a place to post...and if that is so then so be it. I also think it would make sense to limit that talk to one thread because of what IPNewbie says. Everyone has to come to an easy peace and what they can live with be it 100% ..or some other manifestation of low carb. Also would rather see this as a low carb thread than IP...but that is my personal thought. It's confusing to new people when they read about the Off Plan stuff because there is such varied info from the IP sites, and most other diets the cheats are not as destructive or frowned on by the real philosophy and intent of the formal plan.

What is stated above is something I was pondering today and IPNewbie said it well. The other thing I'd like to add for thought, is about the opportunity to be forming habits for the future...every little thing adds up. Thinking it doesn't matter is how most of us got overweight. And that is the truth. If you disagree....you are not being honest, and it makes sense off plan stuff is OK in your world.

Over the course of a week once maintenance time arrives ...this kind of little stuff could easily mean ...a few glasses of wine or some other thing I've not tasted for a long time for the weekend.....again that's me. At my size....every shred of carrot/beets/avacado/bean and extra glop of sauce or extra ounce of meat I resist out of habits I'm forming now will allow me a piece of chocolate or ice cream...or wine with out eventually allowing unwanted weight to creep back.

This is about two things to me. HABITS and CHOICES.

Not criticizing ANYONE'S choices......but not forming good habits for the future while on this diet.. ...is a formula for failure in the future. The mindset will not be able to discern...but maybe your way of doing this in the past allowed you to be happy...if not successful? Again...it's a choice.

My hand is out to anyone trying not to slide down a slippery slope...but if you really want to go...and 90% means you are OK if eventually this stops working...I can not/will not stop anyone from doing it.

Hang on to your own hat.

I have been in a diet break for several reasons and therefore do not post a lot anymore. I can see where you come from. It seems a lot of people have difficulty in relating to food in a healthy manner. In a country where fast food is the norm and everything is way too sweet, this may be a real problem. I come from a completely different culture. Cookies and icing on cakes makes me want to run. I hate, hate, hate anything that tastes artificial, especially when it is also sweet. I like fresh foods and hardly ever use anything precooked. While I always had a very hard time loosing weight (I guess I was always slightly hypothyroid), I gained most of my weight due to medical reasons. For me, loosing is the battle, while maintaining is easy. I am not really prone to binge eating with the exception of the PMS days. But that is simply hormones. I therefore do not really need to form habits. I just need to find a way of loosing weight. I could medicate, of course. But just for weight loss?

As such, I realize I may have a more relaxed relationship with food. IP was a tool for me, not a therapy for food addiction. I recognize that many people need the discipline and keeping to this diet 100% is a real accomplishment. But being a slow looser myself, even on a 100% IP diet requires me to make some modification to prevent from going insane. So, what the other poster said above, may be valid in HER case. I could not care less about it. My diet will contain a glass of wine every day, I will not drink black coffee because I hate it. And I will not miss out on (rare) special occasions just because of a diet. Period. The important thing is to still adhere to a calorie limit, to accept potential slower losses and to keep the goal in sight always. Since I apparently have to do this with long stalls between short bursts of weight loss, I have the discipline built in, I think, since I am at this now for two years and the trend is weight/inches down, muscle up.

I try not to post at the moment, because my diet brake involves no calorie counting. Even worse, I do carb cycling (5 days low carb, 2 days high carb). This is because an true IP style diet craters my thyroid hormones over time (talking about diet always being healthy, ha!) and my two days of high carb currently involve living on dark chocolate and frozen yogurt ice cream. I also work out daily, of course. I admit that using this regime, I have not lost on the scale. But, I have not gained either. The carbing up allows me to put on muscle and as a result, I lost 1 cloth size since stopping IP. So, for me, this is mission accomplished until I have time again to focus on dieting. Dieting for me is a full-time effort and there are currently more important issues I need to focus on. In any ways, I am happy to advise people on stuff I experienced, but it is not my job to judge others. Everybody needs to find their own road to sustainable, long-term, weight loss, whether this involves doing it 100%, 90% or whatever percentage I am using. I have quite enjoyed my road so far.

sarahBell
10-08-2013, 05:59 PM
Sarahbell, you said it perfectly all you can do is just keep plugging away going forward. Don't beat yourself up over choices you had to make in a difficult situation. :hug:

While you didn't lose your own home, you are suffering for your family and the loss of your memories. In some ways I think it was harder on my family and friends to see me go through losing my home than it was on me to go through it. Take care of yourself.

:hug:
But it is so hard when your dad comes and hugs you and tells you he is ok and tries to put on a brave face when I know inside he is grieving and hurting but wont show it. And once again being so far away yet so close just rips me apart inside. My parents are beyond stressed at this point. They have gone to the house alone to privately grieve and mourn the loss of their home.

My 2 nephews who lived with them are having a hard time adjust and they are still shell shocked. I just want to cry because I can do boo from up here and I cant just drop life here and go there!

ARRRGGGHHHH!!!

Pdukas143
10-08-2013, 06:12 PM
I have been on IP since February and throughout that time - I have had several 'indulgence' days - I don't call them cheats because that seems to make it seem seedy and dirty. They were days that - because of a special occasion or event - I choose to go off plan. They even included a couple of week-long vacations -- I know, how crazy is that. After each of my 'indulgence' days - I got right back on IP - I started with my packets the next day, I knew I would see a slow-down but that was expected and, frankly, ok by me.

Since February - I have gone from a size 20 to a size 10/12 -- I've lost a total of 78 pounds. I am a new woman and...I've learned something...that I am in control of what I eat, when I eat, how I eat and I am owning it. Could I have lost the weight faster? -- maybe...but I'm ok with what I've accomplished. No - I'm thrilled with what I have accomplished -- thrilled doesn't even start to describe it.

I say this not to encourage 'indulging' but to recognize that we all have to fight this battle in our own way, with our own weapons and in a manner that we are comfortable with. I don't judge those that find that 100% is the way for them to succeed but I am a little tired of 100% being the badge of IP. The badge is the success and there are several paths to get there. Pick your path - own it and enjoy the ride!!!!

ReenHag
10-08-2013, 07:30 PM
I say this not to encourage 'indulging' but to recognize that we all have to fight this battle in our own way, with our own weapons and in a manner that we are comfortable with.

I wish I could LOVE this post!

I don't judge those that find that 100% is the way for them to succeed but I am a little tired of 100% being the badge of IP.

The reality is that 100% IS the badge of IP. In other words, to be on IP is to follow the protocol set forth by IP. That being said, 100% is not the only way to achieve success on a personalized program that is IP-inspired.

slownsteady
10-08-2013, 11:14 PM
We each make our own choices and then live with the consequences of them. I'm following the plan 100% (and fully plan to stay that way). This is a public forum. Which means that anyone can post here. Even if their opinion or approach to IP is different from mine. Everyone has the right to post and voice their concerns, just as everyone has the right to ignore or not respond. Everyone on here also has the right to some respect. We're all here because we want to lose weight and get healthy. Respect that, while we won't all be coming from the same place, or even heading in the exact same direction, each of us are struggling to reach our goals in the best way we can. Hugs to all. We're all AWESOME just because we keep trying. Perseverance is the key to success. So let's just all support each other and be proud that we're STILL HERE together.

The reality is that 100% IS the badge of IP. In other words, to be on IP is to follow the protocol set forth by IP. That being said, 100% is not the only way to achieve success on a personalized program that is IP-inspired.

Thoughtful and well-said.