Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2003, 04:38 AM   #1  
Meg

Talking Weight Loss And Fitness Surprises

When I first got serious about losing weight, there were certain “rewards” that I eagerly anticipated: buying smaller clothes, being able to walk up the stairs without having to stop and catch my breath, losing inches and pounds. But along the way, several things happened to me that I was completely unprepared for and caught me totally off-guard. I thought it would be fun to share them and see if anyone else has discovered any weight-loss and fitness surprises as they have lost pounds and gained muscle.

I didn’t expect:
  • that I would have to move the seat of my car up three or four inches in order to reach the steering wheel
  • that I would not be able to float in the pool anymore
  • that I would have a devil of a time trying to shave the “caves” under my arms
  • that people I have known for 20+ years would simply not recognize me
  • that my shoes would all get too big — clothes yes, shoes no
  • that oatmeal would become a favorite food
  • that I would LOVE to lift weights -- not just doing it because it is good for me but because it is FUN!
Anyone else have any surprises?

Meg

Last edited by Meg; 06-28-2003 at 05:37 AM.
Old 06-29-2003, 08:56 AM   #2  
Mel

Default A big surprise

Aside from all the physical changes that Meg mentioned, I've been amazed at the wonderful friendships and support systems I've discovered here. That has truly been one of the most rewarding aspects of this journey: knowing that there are others of you out there, who live and think like I do.

mel
Old 06-29-2003, 12:16 PM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

I have to agree with you mel, that before I discovered this site over a year ago now, that I felt very alone as a woman lifting heavy in the gym, I have only one g/f that enjoys it as much as I do, and I don't get to see her as often as I'd like.... but she does not see the nutrition side the same way I do, and coming here has been a great support.... Just for example I just came back from my bike ride, 31k btw , and I had in my mind that I was going to go up to this one point where there is a HUGE hill that I detest going up.... and I really wasn't going up it till I got there and saw it and thought..."Gee maybe I can brag to the girls at 3fc about it if I do it.... " WELL I done did it.... WOOHOO!!! I am so sweaty now and I love it....

Meg -- Wow I never ever realized ALL the changes that can happen when you loose so much weight, thanks for the enlightenment....

The one thing I did discover was when I did the EDT training this winter, I gained mega strenghts that I never thought I had...
Old 06-29-2003, 12:33 PM   #4  
Meg

Ilene and Mel -- I know exactly what you mean about the support here -- it's all about partnership and accountability for me. We all support each other and cheer for each other and celebrate each of our achievements. And, at the same time, I don't want to mess up because I feel accountable to you guys -- I don't want to have to post and say that I ate this or that or skipped a workout. Sometimes that is just the nudge that I need to stay on track. That's why I love our little corner of the world ... though there's lots of other reasons ...

Meg
Old 06-29-2003, 07:48 PM   #5  
JEC
Aussie and proud

yep the pool thing for me as well...

shoes too, I dropped half - one size in shoes....

I had to readjust my wedding rings since I lost 3 ring sizes, the jeweller said he had never heard of it before (losing that mant sizes)

It being more comfortable to fly - the seats feel soooo big now....

JC
Old 06-30-2003, 09:27 AM   #6  
Uber-Moderator!!

I guess we all need to go to Utah and swim in the Great Salt Lake - I hear ANYONE can float in there

JC - I still haven't gotten my wedding rings sized down - they're loose but they don't fly off or anything (yet). I need to have them welded together...but I can't bear to part with them even for a few days...I feel absolutely NEKKID without my ring on - it's the only piece of jewelry I really care about, not being an 'accessories girl" (haven't worn earrings since Sept 27 1998 - my wedding day!).

Meg...at one point years ago I was getting my underarms WAXED. Unless you don't mind a lot of PAIN, I wouldn't recommend it - although it was nice not to have 'the stubblies'. (did that for a YEAR - the esthitician I was seeing at the time told me 'if you keep getting it done, the hair will get finer and finer'. She must've been talking about someone ELSE'S hair or maybe I needed to get it done for 10-20 years... )
Old 06-30-2003, 09:46 AM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

Estetician's IMO lie, (not really), but I have been getting my legs waxed for 25 years!! and hair still grows back, and about as often too.... Now it's not as bad, but after all I am 46 and with hormones fluctuating I really think the hair thinning finally is because of the hormones and not the waxing.... My mother never shaves anymore, she has no hair on her legs or arm pits... Imagine ALL the money I have spent? Oh well c'est la vie!!
Old 06-30-2003, 09:55 AM   #8  
Uber-Moderator!!

My current esthetician - she's been in business for, oh, 30 years - has NEVER told me that the hair will just disappear - this was someone else I used to go to. The closest Sky has ever come to saying anything like that is saying that MAYBE the hair will become finer and easier to wax. I get my brows done every three weeks - occasionally my bikini line (OW!)

I'd been looking into that laser hair removal - but decided against it for now, since apparently it's not really permanent...and is muy expensive $$$
Old 06-30-2003, 10:21 AM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

Also, I've heard about the lazer removal is that it can change the skin pigmentation... imagine that on your upper lip... YIKES!!!
Old 06-30-2003, 09:41 PM   #10  
JEC
Aussie and proud

yeah it was the day I had washed my hands and I was shaking the water off them and my rings went flying across the bathroom. I thought to myself 'this is riduculous' - it was hard to go without them for a week but they came back soooo shiny and new - it was lovely!

JC
Old 07-10-2003, 05:28 PM   #11  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

I worked for a laser hair removal clinic. It rarely changes skin pigmentation unless you go to a clinic that will take ANYBODY.

Best canidates for LHR are:
People who are very light skinned.
Get a sunburn at the drop of a hat.
Have dark hair.

The laser is attracted to dark pigment. Soooo, if you have blonde, gray or white hair, it won't work. Also, if you have heavily pigmented skin, you're going to get burnt. If you get burnt, you'll get a change in pigmentation. Now, luckily, if goes away (usually) after a year. And it usually removes pigmentation (so you'll have a white spot).

I've had my chin and underarms done. Guess what? Then hair is still there. It's much thinner on my underarms but it had no effect on my chin and I had it done under the highest power.

It also hurts more than anything thing else I've ever done. Ow ow ow!!!! It feels like a hot sewing needle striking at super fast speed. And I even used Emla to numb me.

So, for some people, they love it. For me, yuck.
Old 07-10-2003, 06:02 PM   #12  
"L" in Loser!

JC,

I'm not wearing my wedding ring right now due to it being too small (I don't have the money yet to get them sized).

I work at a nursing home and a couple of weeks ago, while washing my hands, my ring came off and down the drain it went! I had to call the maintenance man to get it out! Yikes!
Old 07-10-2003, 06:53 PM   #13  
Crazy Candian in Aus

Default OMG!!! SAME PROBLEM!!!

I have not worn my rings since December, when we went to Luna Park in St. Kilda, I went on a roller coaster and when I was doing up the safety belt, my rings fell off!!

Thank goodness my friend has the tinest hands ever... she got her hand under the seat and got both rings out for me, we stopped the boarding of the rollercoaster (it is lame anyway, not a REAL roller coaster!!) and I was in tears just about to tear apart the seat of the rollercoaster!!

I wore them last weekend for a formal function, but took them off halfway through the night and put them in my coin purse.... too scared of losing them!!

Makes you feel awesome tho!!!

Nola.
Old 07-12-2003, 01:17 AM   #14  

Default Beginner

The home gym arrived. DH says he'll get it together tomorrow.
I've been using the stationery bike and eating better.
Can't bike on hils for anything, though... WEAK WEAK WEAK.

My ex lost weight and his wedding ring slipped off into the lake. Once the ring was gone, so was he... so keep your rings safe... unless you want to lose 200# the EASY way....

Can someone tell me why you changed the position of the drivers seat in the car? Legs get shorter?
I can hardly wait for plane and movie seats to be "spacious"

Old 07-12-2003, 07:03 AM   #15  
Meg

Default Moving The Drivers Seat

This was a surprise to me, too, and no, my legs didn't get shorter! As I lost 22" off my hips and 13" off my waist, I gradually receded down and back in the seat when I was driving. Think of it as sitting on a large cushion (of fat) when you are driving -- and then take it away! You end up lower and further back from the steering wheel, and have to move the seat up closer to reach.

Now I feel like I am sitting on bones -- well, I guess I am! Never would have dreamed there are bones in my butt!

Meg
Closed Thread