Ideal Protein Diet - Fabulous at Fifty+ .... A home for those of us 50 and older on IP! VOLUME 12

lisa32989
10-02-2013, 03:20 PM
Time for a new thread! Here is a link to the old one
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/282752-fabulous-fifty-home-those-us-50-older-ip-volume-11-a-13.html

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8178/8034021886_edd3ef5c5a_m.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/56800290@N02/8034021886/)

Welcome to the Vol. 12 home of Fabulous at Fifty + !!
started by DanafromAustin
(cool intro borrowed from rainbowsmiles)

This is the place to share our thoughts, ideas, challenges, frustrations, and most importantly our joy of being 50+
LOVIN' LIFE and on IP. Welcome everyone! :grouphug:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8177/8034021926_a2408781d4.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/56800290@N02/8034021926/)

HawkHat
10-02-2013, 04:24 PM
59 yo, 3rd day into IP, just discovered this forum and sooo happy for it!
Mimi aka Hawkhat

JaneDeaux
10-02-2013, 04:44 PM
52 here. 11th week of IP now...loving the program...and the support of the 3FC forums and members!

lisa32989
10-03-2013, 12:26 PM
My 60th is coming up at the end of April. I want to hit that age in the best shape possible and IP is helping me to that. I am half way through 7th week of IP and very happy with the results . I hit -34 today and am about ready to go outside (rain stopped after a week of deluges) and do yard work and go for a nice walk. Get that body moving and spirit jumping.
My 50th was in March
I was down 72 lbs.
I plan on being well into maintenance by my 51st ;)

Doesn't it feel great to be able to MOVE again???

schenectady
10-03-2013, 02:41 PM
My 50th was in March
I was down 72 lbs.
I plan on being well into maintenance by my 51st ;)

Doesn't it feel great to be able to MOVE again???

I was laughing at myself this morning - I could not wait to get my work clothes on and get out and rake up all the debris from a week of storms. I do not know the last time I was excited about natural physical activity.

Then I got home from errands and was in ecstasy over having purple kale chips and chicken soup for lunch. I am pretty sure that in my history of eating everything that did not move I have never such fun eating kale!

Turning 60 is NOT going to be a sad thing for me because I am taking control of my life and my emotions. Kids gone, empty nest can be fun...15 days until I do not have empty nest, though. Excited for my Marine son to come home. Lots of tears and worries in the many months since I saw him last.

65X65
10-03-2013, 02:49 PM
We also need a "Birthday Girls" thread since so many of us strive for mini or final goals using that marker!

Lizzy63
10-05-2013, 11:33 AM
Dropping by to say "Hi!" To my fabulous friends! Looks like its been quiet on this thread...

65X65
10-05-2013, 11:44 AM
Dropping by to say "Hi!" To my fabulous friends! Looks like its been quiet on this thread...

I agree Lizzy...too quiet! I miss the chatter!! For a while this place had so much going on it was my favorite thread. So many interesting things, places and people stories all going on...besides staying OP and heading to goal!

Missing the daily dose! but hope all are well...busy and on track.:hug:

sonolady
10-05-2013, 02:44 PM
Hello All, I too agree too quiet here! Just had a spinach salad and IP potatoes.....yeah I know a boring lunch, but I wanted to use them up. I've tried the bread and roll thing with them and they are just ok to me. I'd rather have Proti diet minestrone soup, I add extra vegetables to it.

I just frosted/decorated Granny's 93rd birthday cake. We're having a big family dinner here for her. I am going to have to have a bite of cake, just a bite. I'll be having a big spinach salad for lunch, I'm making them stuffed quahogs, baked haddock, rice pilaf, carrots and a broccoli casserole. Granny chose the meal. She is sharp as a tack, I cannot beat her in scrabble!

Poppycock
10-05-2013, 10:08 PM
57 here. I've been on IP for five months and am 53 lbs. down. Because of this diet, I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease. I felt so good and all my pain and nausea went away. My doctor did some testing and diagnosed me. It's been an interesting journey. I feel great!

WingnutandMe
10-05-2013, 11:47 PM
Welcome to all the newcomers on the thread.

I've just finished two weeks on P1 to knock of the few pounds I picked up when I lost control to both starting the new contract job and DH leaving for a month. I hope to not lose control again, but it is reassuring to know P1 is there to fall back on. I will again properly phase off to ensure I don't have problems.

DH has been gone the month now (should be able to be home later this week) and I'm at the end of my contract and job hunting all over again. I spend my evenings searching down more contract jobs and applying. Not much time for 3FC. I didn't even know there was a new thread. Shame on me.

You all stay OP as it is so worth it. I no longer have to feel concerned when I interview as I don't have to wonder what people think about the fat lady since I'm not. It feels sooooooo good.

Have a great rest of the weekend.
Molly

Jbhigdon
10-06-2013, 07:39 AM
I'm 56.. Started IP in July and lost 22 lbs. before the end of August. I got off plan because of the cost, but am excited to be back OP as off yesterday!! I ordered alternative products from Nashua.

Hope everyone has a great Sunday!!

65X65
10-06-2013, 09:33 AM
Welcome to all the newcomers on the thread.

You all stay OP as it is so worth it. I no longer have to feel concerned when I interview as I don't have to wonder what people think about the fat lady since I'm not. It feels sooooooo good.

Have a great rest of the weekend.
Molly

LOVE it Molly!!! So good to read you re-enforcing that notion! And even more wonderful ... it is true for you!

Hope nxt job is right around the corner and your DH homecoming is great. Appreciate having you around on the forum, but know you are busy!

WingnutandMe
10-06-2013, 11:40 AM
I'm 56.. Started IP in July and lost 22 lbs. before the end of August. I got off plan because of the cost, but am excited to be back OP as off yesterday!! I ordered alternative products from Nashua.

Hope everyone has a great Sunday!!

Welcome to this great thread.

I can guarantee alternatives work. I spent just over a year on IP, the first three months were on the IP products. Then a bad coach and the cost drove me to the alternative route. I finished the last 80 lbs on alternatives. No problems and a bit more variety. Just ask questions. There's lots of us who went the alternative route.

Molly

schenectady
10-06-2013, 11:47 AM
One of the things that excites me the most as I approach 60 is that being on IP means I can buy clothes that are truly me! Being overweight for so long, I know that there is not much in the way of truly stylish, tailored plus size clothes from which to choose when needing something special.

I am now waiting until I grow out of the remaining clothes in my closet (one more size to go) and then I can start to buy a few new-to-me clothes that are more reflective of how I feel inside rather than being determined by my outside.

Fortunately, I am a mile or so from a really nice thrift store so I can peruse their racks frequently for one or two items that make me feel happy and beautiful.

My pledge to myself when I am done is to do away with widow's weed black! Not that there is anything wrong with it except I look terrible in black near my face. However, being so large, I retreated to complete black outfits thinking it would camouflage my bulk. So I may allow a little tailored black pencil skirt, but beyond that I want my happy colors for the rest of my life.

When sizes are smaller, I can actually have a choice of what I want to wear and that will be the great reward for me.

lisa32989
10-08-2013, 08:33 AM
I'm going to a "wedding" this weekend. It's in quotes b/c the couple got married at city hall earlier this year. They are still doing the whole thing....
Anyway...
I digress...
I bought a GREAT dress yesterday at Ross. I neglected to take a pic. It'll work at the wedding and with a jacket for work, as well. Plus, it's wrinkle proof! Love those!
I think I'm still going down sizes in this stall (haven't weighed in a bit either). I've been solidly in 16s. This one is a 14. I started in 24 :dancer:
Sticking with the plan still works, even if the scale doesn't ;)

sonolady
10-08-2013, 06:59 PM
I'm going to a "wedding" this weekend. It's in quotes b/c the couple got married at city hall earlier this year. They are still doing the whole thing....
Anyway...
I digress...
I bought a GREAT dress yesterday at Ross. I neglected to take a pic. It'll work at the wedding and with a jacket for work, as well. Plus, it's wrinkle proof! Love those!
I think I'm still going down sizes in this stall (haven't weighed in a bit either). I've been solidly in 16s. This one is a 14. I started in 24 :dancer:

wooo hooo good for you Lisa!!!! 14's

patns
10-12-2013, 01:07 AM
This was so far done in the depths it took me awhile to find it! Where is everyone?

sonolady
10-12-2013, 08:16 AM
:) glad to see someone check in, seems no one visits this thread anymore.

65X65
10-12-2013, 08:44 AM
Anyway...
I digress...

WHHHOOOO-Hooooo!
Lisa....just seeing this...SO great! SIZE MATTERS!! Hope you have a great time..sure you'll look smashing...get a picture!

65X65
10-12-2013, 08:55 AM
One of the things that excites me the most as I approach 60 is that being on IP means I can buy clothes that are truly me! Being overweight for so long, I know that there is not much in the way of truly stylish, tailored plus size clothes from which to choose when needing something special.

I am now waiting until I grow out of the remaining clothes in my closet (one more size to go) and then I can start to buy a few new-to-me clothes that are more reflective of how I feel inside rather than being determined by my outside.

Fortunately, I am a mile or so from a really nice thrift store so I can peruse their racks frequently for one or two items that make me feel happy and beautiful.

My pledge to myself when I am done is to do away with widow's weed black! Not that there is anything wrong with it except I look terrible in black near my face. However, being so large, I retreated to complete black outfits thinking it would camouflage my bulk. So I may allow a little tailored black pencil skirt, but beyond that I want my happy colors for the rest of my life.

When sizes are smaller, I can actually have a choice of what I want to wear and that will be the great reward for me.

Yeay for you! All so true! I thought I'd not ever buy any more black either...but in reality..what I've done is while definitely added color ... also use color with black AND....(Amazing how black really does slim a thin person even more. UNLIKE not helping a heavier form look any better or less conspicuous.)

So punctuate with Tiffany Blue...Red..Yellow...shades of Purple and White or some metallic bling...gold, silver, pewter or bronze...you'll feel very stylish in black now...not frumpy!

Whatever suits you...just enjoy the shopping...you deserve it!

patns
10-12-2013, 01:44 PM
I really find black paired with vivid colours a very attractive look too. But with my coloring black does not work well especially now as my hairdresser is gradually leaving more of my natural grey in. So navy is my black which works well with colours too. But I am wondering why there are so few ""Little Navy Dresses"available as there are so many "LBDs". I also with there were more options in dresses with a bit of a sleeve. I think the manufactures have everyone brainwashed so they can get away with as little fabric as possible.
Pat

65X65
10-12-2013, 07:46 PM
I really find black paired with vivid colours a very attractive look too. But with my coloring black does not work well especially now as my hairdresser is gradually leaving more of my natural grey in. So navy is my black which works well with colours too. But I am wondering why there are so few ""Little Navy Dresses"available as there are so many "LBDs". I also with there were more options in dresses with a bit of a sleeve. I think the manufactures have everyone brainwashed so they can get away with as little fabric as possible.
Pat

That's true...navy ANYthing is in short supply! Been looking for nice navy dress pants for a while now.. I love navy!

Interesting about black with your coloring. Wonder if it is complexion rather than hair? That changes too, so I'm told. Actually, I find with my hair turning silver gray... black looks better than ever on me. In fact .... decided to quit coloring all together because natural hair looked better than the fake brunette with frosted/highlights I'd been doing .... which actually turned after about 2 weeks to an old lady red-ish (on me) ..my mom was a real Irish red head, which is great, but my fake washed out red was MOST AWFUL!!!...

schenectady
10-12-2013, 08:06 PM
I came across a strange feeling yesterday as I was preparing for a nice business dinner out with my husband. After losing 36 pounds, none of my old clothes fit. I did have some choices of other things from my closet but none of them were the same old "fat" style clothes which I always used to wear.

So I tried on outfit after outfit. They all fit but I was not comfortable in them because the look was different from what I was used to hiding in! I did not "recognize" me in those clothes and so I felt uncomfortable, not sure I could carry them off. I did not identify with my own image.

I did find something with which I was comfortable, a variation on what I used to wear so that I was OK. I know I did look better, my stomach was nearly flat and for one change, I was able to comfortably wear heeled boots which I never was able to do before.

Do not know how to find the clothes for the "me" I am becoming as opposed to who I have been for over 20 years.

65X65
10-12-2013, 09:35 PM
I came across a strange feeling yesterday as I was preparing for a nice business dinner out with my husband. After losing 36 pounds, none of my old clothes fit. I did have some choices of other things from my closet but none of them were the same old "fat" style clothes which I always used to wear.

So I tried on outfit after outfit. They all fit but I was not comfortable in them because the look was different from what I was used to hiding in! I did not "recognize" me in those clothes and so I felt uncomfortable, not sure I could carry them off. I did not identify with my own image.

I did find something with which I was comfortable, a variation on what I used to wear so that I was OK. I know I did look better, my stomach was nearly flat and for one change, I was able to comfortably wear heeled boots which I never was able to do before.

Do not know how to find the clothes for the "me" I am becoming as opposed to who I have been for over 20 years.

That is a real problem that is not often verbalized...but you have captured the "discomfort" precisely. When shopping in resale shops..initially..I was mostly looking for fit. Style and redefinition came once I began buying new. One of the smaller shops allowed me the chance to have a sales person to myself on afternoon, and she soon was in tune to my age, needs and worked with me bringing several outfits...colors and styles I'd never have tried on my own initially. She is my personal shopper in that store now...I rarely go to the department stores... And have worked into a rapport with sales people at several of the smaller shops instead who know me now ( and probably many if not most of their customers by name) and are great at helping me find what works for my lifestyle, age, budget and body type. Now when I go to a few of the upscale resale shops...I'm much better able to help myself because my new style has been redefined. It's more than just looking for something that fits. It's intimidating and getting some help was a good idea for me.

schenectady
10-13-2013, 06:14 PM
That is a real problem that is not often verbalized...but you have captured the "discomfort" precisely. When shopping in resale shops..initially..I was mostly looking for fit. Style and redefinition came once I began buying new. One of the smaller shops allowed me the chance to have a sales person to myself on afternoon, and she soon was in tune to my age, needs and worked with me bringing several outfits...colors and styles I'd never have tried on my own initially. She is my personal shopper in that store now...I rarely go to the department stores... And have worked into a rapport with sales people at several of the smaller shops instead who know me now ( and probably many if not most of their customers by name) and are great at helping me find what works for my lifestyle, age, budget and body type. Now when I go to a few of the upscale resale shops...I'm much better able to help myself because my new style has been redefined. It's more than just looking for something that fits. It's intimidating and getting some help was a good idea for me.

Thank you for the ideas, 65X65 - when I get close to my goal where I want to invest some money in real clothes, I may drop in at Nordstrom's and see what suggestions I can get there. Then I can go to the resale shops and know what I am looking for.

I do need to wait for my figure to "settle" into a shape with which I can work. Before, it was anything that actually zipped up. Now my waist is reappearing and I want to highlight that but need some inches off the hips/thighs first to match the waist.

It will be fun to see how this evolves but I hope I do eventually find a style, with help.

patns
10-14-2013, 01:43 AM
Yes 65, it is complexion rather than hair for clothes colours. But actually I think complexion also has to do if the grey hair looks good on a person. many people are striking with the grey hair, especially if it is silver grey. It sort of seems to me that many people in that category had dark hair to begin with. Dark hair seems to go silver.

I went back to my home town this summer because all the girls who were in my class all through scholol were turning 65 this year. There were 32 of us. It was amazing how great everyone looked and a good number had totally grey hair.

About the smaller clothes feeling different, the group that was on IP when I lost most of my weight often commented on that as they got close to goal. Everyone seems to have some favorite things from years back they were so hoping to get small enough to fit in again. Many people were surprised when they got to that point they weren't that comfortable wearing many of them. Our taste in styles change and body shapes change. People enjoyed discovering newer styles that fit their new bodies and way of life.

schenectady
10-14-2013, 11:00 AM
Thank you all for the ideas and suggestions about clothes. It was a funny day when I tried on all these "new" clothes from my closet because I had sooooo many choices and that has not happened to me in such a long time. There was rarely more than 2 choices that I could fit in before.

I have identified part of my uneasy feeling from trying on clothes. I have wore the same 'fat' clothes for so long that I think that image of me is seared in people minds as to who I am.

When I put on a cool and elegant outfit with black trousers (I NEVER worm pants when at my biggest) and a simple black top, both worn with a tailored pale pink (favorite color) tailored jacket, I was afraid of a look that was so very different from "me" that I squirmed a bit.

Changed to a gorgeous soft tan suede maxi skirt with kicky boots and a turtleneck sweater snugged in with a Brighton decorative belt but when I looked at that, did not know if I could "pull" I off, so I took it off.

I am hoping that as time goes on, I get used to the newer body so I am a bit more confident. I guess I kept feeling that people who know me and who knew the much bigger body would be critical or examining of the new look. I guess I have never in my recent adult life (25 years of marriage life) had people look at my body in a positive way so any looking makes me nervous.

SuzieV
10-14-2013, 01:04 PM
Good morning ladies! I'm still here...just been crazy busy riding my horse (I love Indian Summer weather) and canning lots of applesauce & pears and making jams/jellies from the last of my garden's bounty. A little nervous about fresh veggies now that summer has past. Need to buckle down and make sure I'm getting the appropriate amounts of water, oil & salt...got a little lax. The scale hasn't budged, but I went down a size in jeans. Have an awesome week!

lisa32989
10-14-2013, 03:16 PM
The dress I told you all about is in my sig
It sure is fun shopping when things fit. But figuring out a styles is a new phenomenon for sure!
I'm still mostly shopping 2nd-hand. I've probably got 20 more lbs before I'm done with P1 for good. But I'm gonna have to give P1 a rest for a while (coming soon) to let my thyroid reset. Anyway, at least at this point I can choose clothes I LIKE and I'm not just going for what fits.

Amazing looking at those pics. I really didn't realize HOW MUCH I'd lost my shape and just become round. DH really likes this new dress ;)

schenectady
10-14-2013, 05:49 PM
It sure is fun shopping when things fit. But figuring out a styles is a new phenomenon for sure!
I'm still mostly shopping 2nd-hand. I've probably got 20 more lbs before I'm done with P1 for good. But I'm gonna have to give P1 a rest for a while (coming soon) to let my thyroid reset. Anyway, at least at this point I can choose clothes I LIKE and I'm not just going for what fits.

Amazing looking at those pics. I really didn't realize HOW MUCH I'd lost my shape and just become round. DH really likes this new dress ;)

You do look spectacular. You have a great shape and the legs are really showing nice lines, too.
You are right, as usual, about figuring out styles that one can wear when much smaller is a new thing. I am going to start trying to work out what styles, cuts, lengths I can wear as I get smaller.

Halfagain
10-15-2013, 12:27 PM

Great new photo Lisa! I totally agree on the shopping posivites.

I'm just saying hello to all. I'll have to post more later when I have time.

Barb

lisa32989
10-15-2013, 12:36 PM
Hi Barb! So nice to see you! I miss you when you're away.

You do look spectacular. You have a great shape and the legs are really showing nice lines, too.
You are right, as usual, about figuring out styles that one can wear when much smaller is a new thing. I am going to start trying to work out what styles, cuts, lengths I can wear as I get smaller.
The last pic I took in a dress (April?) I wasn't happy with my calves at all. You are right, they ARE changing!
I guess like everything else, that silly patience word comes into play. Oh how it is so hard!
Maybe there is hope for the cellulite, hanging skin and remaining fat rolls, yet! <sigh> patience!

Vine
10-17-2013, 12:05 PM
It's good to see a thread for +50. I had heard so many times that it's extremely hard to lose weight beyond 50. Until I met up again with a colleague who'd lost 40 lbs in her mid-50's and then my younger sis (early 50's) started dieting with great success - both on Ideal Protein. Their success at their age inspired me to give Ideal Protein a try. I'm 54 and had almost given up hope that I could lose weight. I'm so happy I did't let all my previous failed attempts at weight loss stop me, this diet works! I feel better mentally and physically than I have in years. For a couple of years I've complained about a general feeling of fatigue and lack of energy. But now, with the energy back, I feel about 20 years younger, no kidding.
I truly hope those of you that are uncomfortable with your new size find ways to become comfortable with your new image. It must be frustrating to go through months of hard "work" to change your physical self only to find that your mental self hasn't caught up. I'm only halfway through my weight-loss journey, so I don't know if what you're experiencing will catch up with me later, but it helps to know this may happen. To be proactive about it, I may have to remember what this weight loss is doing for my health, not just my image.
Wishing you the best.

jemma51
10-17-2013, 06:06 PM
This is day three on IP for me. I am 51 years old. Glad there is a group of 50's here to talk to. I have struggled to lose any weight since turning 51. It seems as though the weight has no problem going up but refuses to move down. I am hoping the IP is the answer.

schenectady
10-17-2013, 06:19 PM
To both Vine and jemma51 please know that more than any other diet I have been on, this one does not seem to be affected by age. I have been going at it for 8 weeks have have just hit 40 pounds off, so I have no complaints. Just go for it.

jemma51
10-17-2013, 06:21 PM
To both Vine and jemma51 please know that more than any other diet I have been on, this one does not seem to be affected by age. I have been going at it for 8 weeks have have just hit 40 pounds off, so I have no complaints. Just go for it.

Seeing everyone's success is very encouraging. :)

WingnutandMe
10-17-2013, 10:23 PM

It works for us "old" folks. I know Pat is out there and had success in her 60s like I have had, too. Those in your 50s are just kids. LOL. For you newbies, you can see that in my 60s I was able to lose 120#. I too, was convinced I was doomed to staying fat. Ideal Protein works.

For those that know me, I've been busy job hunting again. I finished the work for my short term contract job and haven't yet found another contract job. That's okay as I've come back up to Michigan with DH. It was tough being away from him for a month. But, I was busy working and then spending the evening searching for positions to apply for. That takes a lot of time, so sorry I've been a stranger to this thread.

Everyone keep on track. It works and you won't regret it.

Molly

cbl70
10-18-2013, 12:25 AM
Good to see many new folks here. I'm still doing pretty well in maintenance after almost a year. Up about 5lbs from my low point but still under goal.
I'm in my 60s and IP has been the best diet ever for me. Really a lifestyle change.

patns
10-18-2013, 01:59 AM
Hi Molly! Glad you checked in, I was wondering how you were doing. Yes, you are right about losing weight when you are older. It is tough but doable. I weighed 204 when I turned 50 at 5'1". I weighed 161 when I started IP. I am up a bit right now, but working it off slowly. I plan to maintain this time at 135.

I had a role model on another diet site I was on, a wonderful woman who passed away last June at age 86. She lost 60 pounds the year she turned 71 and maintained at 130 for the rest of her life. She did it by lower carbs and lean protein and light exercise.
It can be done, maybe slower than we would like but we can get there.
I hope things work out for you with the job situation but it is so nice to have time in your northern location.

65X65
10-18-2013, 07:21 AM
Good morning all...and happy day!

Must note, this was my favorite thread when I first joined IP!! Inspiration :) ... way over the top! :hug:Could relate to all the ladies so well. Real people...real days..really losing...and impressive time in the trenches and progress!!! ... Loved all the honest daily updates of the mental pieces of this and the stories about resisting and keeping the end in sight. A daily chat so to speak, of the journey about us slightly less than young women with busy lives, who know time is not always our friend. How many more chances will we get to really lose this weight? So different from the busy having babies and younger kids life...instead, the challenges are of all that good and not so good stuff of dealing with adult or nearly grown families and the delicate balancing of home and work with significant other adults in our homes and lives at this stage. Not just about the weighins.

As a "just beginning" IP-er those posts gave me courage to hang on, since it was slow in the beginning for me, and I had so much to learn. All I wanted was to be close or at the end of this, just like Barb, Molly,Oatns, AlisonS, and a few others (who have been quiet and away...getting their life back...I'm sure!)

Just when I think perhaps it's time to retire my own activity on 3FCs and focus on going forward myself...some one posts something that keeps me coming back!

Now, since seeing more posts here (and randomly on other threads) by newbies who are wondering if being older will prevent them from reaching the end point I think we need to be sure those ladies know it can be done...and we aught to hang together more often while we continue to travel and stabilize. It would be so good to see this rev up again. Did I ramble? I'm sorry. Miss this thread!!

SuzieV
10-18-2013, 09:04 AM
There is no time like the present to start your weight loss journey...no matter your age! It's a little sad, but at 50, I am just now becoming the person that I knew was on the inside. And after losing some pounds, my outside now reflects that person. Our weight literally WEIGHS US DOWN physically and emotionally. I'm just glad I found IP...it's like magic :) It's never too late to make a change in your life.

schenectady
10-18-2013, 12:25 PM
Good morning all...and happy day!

Must note, this was my favorite thread when I first joined IP!! Inspiration :) ... way over the top!
As a "just beginning" IP-er those posts gave me courage to hang on, since it was slow in the beginning for me, and I had so much to learn. All I wanted was to be close or at the end of this, just like Barb, Molly,Oatns, AlisonS, and a few others (who have been quiet and away...getting their life back...I'm sure!)

Just when I think perhaps it's time to retire my own activity on 3FCs and focus on going forward myself...some one posts something that keeps me coming back!

Now, since seeing more posts here (and randomly on other threads) by newbies who are wondering if being older will prevent them from reaching the end point I think we need to be sure those ladies know it can be done...and we aught to hang together more often while we continue to travel and stabilize. It would be so good to see this rev up again. Did I ramble? I'm sorry. Miss this thread!!

NO YOU CANNOT RETIRE - you are a lady who supports us and gives us wise advice just when we need it. You are wise and kind so please stay with us through this journey. We would miss you so....

sonolady
10-19-2013, 09:15 AM
65 x65 You would be greatly missed here!!! We all look forward to your input for advice, you have made it just about to goal. You've over come great adversity and battle on....... I've learned from your words of wisdom.

sonolady
10-19-2013, 09:21 AM
I think I am going to start P2 this weekend. My true goal is to be between 125 & 130. I am there! The scale moves up a bit and down a bit and settles at 127 1/2 for a few weeks. The tape measure hasn't changed in 6 weeks. I think my body is happy where it is and I am too, so P2 starting today. I never thought it would take this long for me to lose the small amount of weight,compared to others.

lisa32989
10-20-2013, 12:23 AM
I called the gym that is 2 blocks from my condo. I'm headed over there to join tomorrow. I'll be starting with a water zumba class at 9 am.

Until my back can handle other workouts (I'd LOVE to do spinning <sigh>) I'll be headed in there for all of their water classes. I'm just going to use one of my summer swimsuits for tomorrow but I'm already looking for swimsuits that can handle the chlorine.

Something has GOT to give on this !@#$% stall!

sonolady
10-20-2013, 09:35 AM
Lisa Good for you with the gym! I like and do water exercises in my pool all summer and do miss it the rest of the year, but my skin doesnt handle the chlorine in public pools. I get soooooo itchy. Our pool is very very low on chlorine DH has become a master chemist with the water. You will get that stall moving in no time. When I joined the gym it helped the scale get a bump.

lisa32989
10-21-2013, 10:59 PM
I went to my 2nd aqua aerobics class in 2 days. :swim:

I'm going to have to ask the instructors how to make it harder. It didn't feel like much of a workout. I noticed it was harder for the gals who were more the size I used to be. Thank goodness for IP! I'm actually shocked the classes seemed so easy.

I just need to ease my back into working out again so I don't want to do anything too hard on the back at first, otherwise I'd hit up some of the more strenuous classes.:exercise:

sonolady
10-22-2013, 07:05 AM
Lisa Whoo Hooo! Good for you!! Easier this time around is a good thing. Are you doing the class in the deep end? I've never done water yoga, but water aerobics, deep end where you are treading water, scissor kicks , trying to stay afloat. I'm sure your coach/teacher can help make it a bit harder for you.

lisa32989
10-22-2013, 08:36 AM
:(
The deep class is during my work day

HawkHat
10-23-2013, 03:11 PM
In week 4 right now, I said I'd give it 30 days and reevaluate. Well, down 12 pounds and 6 1/2" inches, can't deny the numbers! I have a long way to go but I'm more than a 10th of the way there!:carrot:

lisa32989
10-23-2013, 03:18 PM
In week 4 right now, I said I'd give it 30 days and reevaluate. Well, down 12 pounds and 6 1/2" inches, can't deny the numbers! I have a long way to go but I'm more than a 10th of the way there!
IP rocks. I have never found a diet I could stick to quite like it. Atkins produces ketosis but there are too many gray areas. I make HUGE loopholes for gray areas. IP has tight rules. I need that. Still can't believe how easy it has been. Make a daily plan. Stick to it. Have a plan B. Power-thru the cravings & come out stronger on the other side. That is my IP story "readers digest version"

patns
10-24-2013, 02:24 PM
Hi just popping in with a quick up date on Lisa (WUV) as many of you know her. She had her tummy tuck this morning, it went very well and doc said she is going to be very pleased with the results.

Pat

sonolady
10-24-2013, 08:18 PM
Hi just popping in with a quick up date on Lisa (WUV) as many of you know her. She had her tummy tuck this morning, it went very well and doc said she is going to be very pleased with the results.

Pat

Please send her my well wishes! She was such a wealth of advice and knowledge for me when I started IP.

Delgen
10-25-2013, 01:22 AM

Pat

Great News! I'm sure she will be so happy!

65X65
10-25-2013, 06:40 AM

Sending her feel better wishes...:hug:I am sure she is happy but a bit uncomfortable at the moment.

WingnutandMe
10-25-2013, 09:17 AM

Second this from Cindy and all.

BTW, hi Cindy. Don't think I've seen much of you lately, but I only have time to lurk on this thread.

Back up in Michigan in the cold. Even the locals are complaining about the early cold fall. We'll be here for a while unless something turns up for another job. Nothing yet.

Molly

Delgen
10-25-2013, 09:46 AM
Hi Molly! You are looking great!
I am back. I never do maintenance well. So I am back to phase 1 again. But I know where to go for help!
Great to see you :)

Delgen
10-25-2013, 11:07 AM
Since I was on IP last year I have gained 20 pounds back (Boo Hoo) and find that if I am not "on something" I gain. Maintenance feels like I am "off something". So I am on day 2 again of phase 1. So far so good. Not too hungry. Nice thing is I know the first 4 days will be difficult, but then it is easy. Sounds crazy going into the holidays on IP, but I just cannot stand it any more.
This is the best part of the program for me. I feel that if I am here with you all, new and old friends, I am more motivated and relaxed.
So thank you all. You are awesome. Thanks for being here for me 24-7!
:hug::hug::hug:

evepet
10-25-2013, 11:27 AM
HI everyone. I've not been visiting this thread for a while, but thought I'd drop in today to see what was happening.

Delgen - Your experience sounds much like mine. Reached goal, was fine for a while, then allowed more sugar/carby things into my eating and the cravings came back... with resulting weight gain. I've re-started several times, and have been having a tough time staying committed, despite getting into 10+ days of successful P1 eating a couple of times and being in ketosis. As I reflect back these past few months when I've been actively trying to get re-started, I realize the situations that have tempted me are always related to social events ... not feeling comfortable declining what someone has made for a meal, when they obviously think that they have prepared a good low cal/low fat option, and don't realize it is still carb-laden and not good for my diet. Rather than run the risk of hurting their feelings, I eat a small portion ... and then my disappointment with myself results in my staying off my dieting for a few days - or weeks. And I gain another couple of pounds. I'm realizing that all of the time I was successfully dieting on IP last year/early this year, I didn't have social eating interactions that made me feel awkward...my 'away from home' eating experiences only involved totally supportive family members or friends. So strangely enough, I never found myself in that situation, even though I was dieting for the better part of a year.

I'm re-starting again today. And I also have committed in my mind to staying firmly 100% on a P1-style eating program for a minimum of 21 days. I have a business meeting coming up next Tues or Wedn which I will definitely need to plan for ... these are people who have just come into my life work-wise this year, and won't be familiar with my dieting habits. But I'm determined not to succumb to what I now realize has become a pattern.

SuzieV
10-25-2013, 11:58 AM
Well I've been on P1 for a couple of weeks, after phasing off to change things up a bit. The scale has started to SLOWLY move down, which tickles me pink. I can ALMOST feel the 150's :) I have my first dressage show in about 5 years this weekend. I feel so much more confident & able riding compared to when I was 40+ lbs heavier. I appreciate this thread and the wealth of knowledge I find here with you ladies of a certain age ;) Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

Delgen
10-25-2013, 12:20 PM
HI everyone. I've not been visiting this thread for a while, but thought I'd drop in today to see what was happening.

Delgen - Your experience sounds much like mine. Reached goal, was fine for a while, then allowed more sugar/carby things into my eating and the cravings came back... with resulting weight gain. I've re-started several times, and have been having a tough time staying committed, despite getting into 10+ days of successful P1 eating a couple of times and being in ketosis. As I reflect back these past few months when I've been actively trying to get re-started, I realize the situations that have tempted me are always related to social events ... not feeling comfortable declining what someone has made for a meal, when they obviously think that they have prepared a good low cal/low fat option, and don't realize it is still carb-laden and not good for my diet. Rather than run the risk of hurting their feelings, I eat a small portion ... and then my disappointment with myself results in my staying off my dieting for a few days - or weeks. And I gain another couple of pounds. I'm realizing that all of the time I was successfully dieting on IP last year/early this year, I didn't have social eating interactions that made me feel awkward...my 'away from home' eating experiences only involved totally supportive family members or friends. So strangely enough, I never found myself in that situation, even though I was dieting for the better part of a year.

I'm re-starting again today. And I also have committed in my mind to staying firmly 100% on a P1-style eating program for a minimum of 21 days. I have a business meeting coming up next Tues or Wedn which I will definitely need to plan for ... these are people who have just come into my life work-wise this year, and won't be familiar with my dieting habits. But I'm determined not to succumb to what I now realize has become a pattern.

Yep! This is a familiar pattern for me too. Carbs are killers, and they snuck up on me. Actually, I think I snuck up on them!!

The social things are the most difficult things to face. But I think you are right. Planning. Eat something before you go. The first time around I did so well, did not cheat a single time. Now I find it hard to get started. And then when I lose a few pounds, I call it good and then gain it all back.
Not following the plan. It is simple as that.

Plan is NOT a four letter word, people!!!

WingnutandMe
10-25-2013, 05:25 PM
Since I was on IP last year I have gained 20 pounds back (Boo Hoo) and find that if I am not "on something" I gain. Maintenance feels like I am "off something". So I am on day 2 again of phase 1. So far so good. Not too hungry. Nice thing is I know the first 4 days will be difficult, but then it is easy. Sounds crazy going into the holidays on IP, but I just cannot stand it any more.
This is the best part of the program for me. I feel that if I am here with you all, new and old friends, I am more motivated and relaxed.
So thank you all. You are awesome. Thanks for being here for me 24-7!
:hug::hug::hug:

I can sympathize Cindy. I did well until I started working and DH went back to Michigan. I got a grip and went on P1 and lost it. Then DH came home, I didn't phase off completely correct and then I cooked things special for him and had a little too much here and there and it's creeping back. I am up in Michigan with him now and am without any of my IP products. I don't want to order more, especially since I'm not sure how long we're here and they might arrive after we're gone. I guess I'll just try to make sure I don't gain more. Besides, DH is the heaviest he has ever been, but that's good for him as was always super skinny, so he won't cry if we eat pretty much like P1. I am just so glad P1 is always there.

Hang in there. We'll make it. Thanks for all being there on the forum.

Molly

Delgen
10-25-2013, 05:48 PM
I can sympathize Cindy. I did well until I started working and DH went back to Michigan. I got a grip and went on P1 and lost it. Then DH came home, I didn't phase off completely correct and then I cooked things special for him and had a little too much here and there and it's creeping back. I am up in Michigan with him now and am without any of my IP products. I don't want to order more, especially since I'm not sure how long we're here and they might arrive after we're gone. I guess I'll just try to make sure I don't gain more. Besides, DH is the heaviest he has ever been, but that's good for him as was always super skinny, so he won't cry if we eat pretty much like P1. I am just so glad P1 is always there.

Hang in there. We'll make it. Thanks for all being there on the forum.

Molly
Thanks Molly~! Stick with us!

patns
10-25-2013, 06:28 PM
Hi Cindy, our stats are so similiar. Started almost exactly the same weight, made it to the same goal. I instantly gained 5 pounds on phase 3 although I choose non wheat options. I could not get that off, even going back to phase 1. That was in June 2012, put me at 135. The good part is that I maintained that till Christmas without too much trouble. So that seems to be a weight my body is comfortable with. So that is my new goal. But Christmas, Canadian winter, then Canadian summer with wonderful long vacation back home on the easycoast put on 15 more. Oh dear. So I am back at it only the time I am following Higher (good) Fat/Low Carb method. I am down to 144 now and am satisfied with it going off more slowly. I don't really want to go into ketosis this time as I thought I would chew an arm off in hunger when I come out of it in phasing off IP. I will be happy to get to 140 by Christmas, then 135 by the time I go back east next summer. But what I did learn is I need to get any regain off immediately and not let it get to be more than 2-3 pounds.
I hope everyone is doing well.

Pat

WingnutandMe
10-25-2013, 11:44 PM
Hi Cindy, our stats are so similiar. Started almost exactly the same weight, made it to the same goal. I instantly gained 5 pounds on phase 3 although I choose non wheat options. I could not get that off, even going back to phase 1. That was in June 2012, put me at 135. The good part is that I maintained that till Christmas without too much trouble. So that seems to be a weight my body is comfortable with. So that is my new goal. But Christmas, Canadian winter, then Canadian summer with wonderful long vacation back home on the easycoast put on 15 more. Oh dear. So I am back at it only the time I am following Higher (good) Fat/Low Carb method. I am down to 144 now and am satisfied with it going off more slowly. I don't really want to go into ketosis this time as I thought I would chew an arm off in hunger when I come out of it in phasing off IP. I will be happy to get to 140 by Christmas, then 135 by the time I go back east next summer. But what I did learn is I need to get any regain off immediately and not let it get to be more than 2-3 pounds.

Pat

Hi Pat,

Can you share the Higher Fat/Low Carb method? Is it published somewhere? I was not happy with going in and out of ketosis this time a few weeks ago. I was able to take off the weight and inches I wanted, but they did not stay off (but then I wasn't real good, either). I would try P1 again, but I do not have the items. Just some thoughts on how to approach correcting what I've messed up. Gee, if I could only get this nasty stress out of my life. LOL.

Molly

patns
10-26-2013, 12:36 AM
Hi Molly, I can't testify that this is the way to go but I'm giving it a shot. As I said I just hate coming out of ketosis, seems to be a shock to my body. I first read about HFLC in The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living. A good site to check it all out is dietdoctor.com

I didn't want to go super low everything again because I am doing Richard Simmons latest exercise plan. I didn't want to give that up. I am not sure how effective that is either as is is pretty easy.

Pat

katenh
10-26-2013, 08:41 AM
Hi all,what a great thread! I am 53 and after my birthday this year I decided IP was my gift to myself. The cost is a bit overwhelming but 8 weeks in and 22 pounds down I am feeling great. I appreciate all the suggestions and the success stories particularly those who are using alternatives as that may be my route shortly. I have noticed my hot flashes and night sweats have diminished as well so hoping that gets better too! Was freezing my husband out of the bedroom,lol. So many times I did WW, and all the others with limited success but now seeing my new body and better blood sugar numbers, bp and less menopausal symptoms I am all in!

evepet
10-26-2013, 12:02 PM

Pat

Hi Pat,

Can you share the Higher Fat/Low Carb method? Is it published somewhere? I was not happy with going in and out of ketosis this time a few weeks ago. I was able to take off the weight and inches I wanted, but they did not stay off (but then I wasn't real good, either). I would try P1 again, but I do not have the items. Just some thoughts on how to approach correcting what I've messed up. Gee, if I could only get this nasty stress out of my life. LOL.

Molly

Hi Molly, I can't testify that this is the way to go but I'm giving it a shot. As I said I just hate coming out of ketosis, seems to be a shock to my body. I first read about HFLC in The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living. A good site to check it all out is dietdoctor.com

I didn't want to go super low everything again because I am doing Richard Simmons latest exercise plan. I didn't want to give that up. I am not sure how effective that is either as is is pretty easy.

Pat

Hi Patns & Molly,

I've just bought The New Atkins for a New You which is co-authored by Stephen Phinney and Jeff Volek who wrote The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living. It intriques me, and I'm somewhat torn between doing a 'firm' IP-style P1 or trying their version of a low carb diet this time around. For the next few days I'm just committed to staying P1ish and getting myself disciplined again... you both know how that goes.
Have also ordered The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living, and am looking forward to receiving it.

Exercise-wise, I'm still enjoying my 'Walk Away the Pounds with Leslie Sansome' programs. Some of them combine the use of small hand weights while steadily walking - it's fun and I definitely do feel like I've had a workout after 30 minutes or so - but in a 'lower key' way. The time flies by.

lisa32989
10-26-2013, 12:36 PM
Fwiw
I did Atkins prior to IP and found it extremely difficult to retun to. Too many loopholes for me!

I needed the stricter rules of IP. But that's just me. We are all so different.
Maybe after doing IP, I can make stricter rules for myself for a LCHF plan (which I truly believe from my reading is healthier in the long run)

Foods so far that are problematic for me: quest bars (I seem to always crave more), nuts, and, of course anything "carby" (haven't given myself the opportunity yet). I imagine cheese may also be something I'll have to significantly restrict (thinking maybe only "out" and not at home).

Right now I'm sticking mostly to p2-3 eating, with an occasional treat (drink with friends, couple bites of side DH had with his dinner that day), it's just easier than having a "day". If weight maintains then I'm all good. Of course, those are planned on a single day. This is what I'm learning from IP that I never really learned before (not that Atkins didnt try to, teach me, but I didn't LEARN!)

Annik
10-26-2013, 01:26 PM
Fwiw
I did Atkins prior to IP and found it extremely difficult to retun to. Too many loopholes for me!

Maybe after doing IP, I can make stricter rules for myself for a LCHF plan (which I truly believe from my reading is healthier in the long run)

Foods so far that are problematic for me: quest bars (I seem to always crave more), nuts, and, of course anything "carby" (haven't given myself the opportunity yet). I imagine cheese may also be something I'll have to significantly restrict (thinking maybe only "out" and not at home).

Right now I'm sticking mostly to p2-3 eating, with an occasional treat (drink with friends, couple bites of side DH had with his dinner that day), it's just easier than having a "day". If weight maintains then I'm all good. Of course, those are planned on a single day. This is what I'm learning from IP that I never really learned before (not that Atkins didnt try to, teach me, but I didn't LEARN!)

Lisa,

I also am appreciating the stricter rules of IP. I was a guest speaker at a recent weight loss event and shared that from my point of view, I see the stricter rules as a form of liberation instead of a prison. Those stricter rules have helped me find my weight to freedom from:

* the challenge of lugging around an extra 100 pounds or so (Everytime I carry two 30 pound containers of cat litter to the basement and complain about their weight, I think about what I have lost!)
* dangerously high blood pressure
* the reality of looking to move into a one level house because my knees and ankles could not manage stairs
* having to use a lap belt extender when flying
* shopping exclusively in plus size stores. There are none of these in the town where I live. Clothes shopping always meant a trip to the city. And at that, shopping for clothes was never a fun thing to do. Nothing fit right!
* etc, etc, etc.

I also have had to embrace the fact that there are some foods I will never be able to return to: cheddar cheese and popcorn are two foods in particular for which I have no red light.

40+ years of struggling (I remember being sent to the doctor's clinic every Thursday for a weigh in when I was 12 because of medical concerns about my weight), and I have finally surrendered to the fact that there are somethings for which I must say 'no.'. With weight loss and regained health in hand, I honestly do feel a form of liberation in this.

Annik

lisa32989
10-26-2013, 01:38 PM
Good word there.

Surrender.

That is what the strict rules are for me.

It is also how I stayed 100 P1 for so long (and got scared to do anything else). I had so fully surrendered to this plan b/c anything else was making me fatter, sicker, and more miserable.

If I could bottle and sell that mindset, I'd be one wealthy woman!

Annik
10-26-2013, 01:48 PM
Good word there.

Surrender.

If I could bottle and sell that mindset, I'd be one wealthy woman!

Big smile on my face right now! Does that ever resonate!

I could write a book about how I have struggled with that word in so many parts of my life.

I used to think it was a word for 'losers'!!!!

That was hubris on my part is all I can say now.

Surrender and I have made peace. We are now very good friends and I love her.

Annik!

kcdoe
10-26-2013, 02:35 PM
Fwiw

I'm right there with you Lisa,

I tried Atkins, Nutrisystem, Southbeach and all of them gave me a couple lbs but I didn't learn. With this it was instantly a life change for me :) don't know why. But I make things that feed my gravings and make me feel like I'm eating real food. Like just now for lunch I had a cheeseburger.....yup made the Tomato Basil bread, had 4 oz 93% lean beef and a slice of Veggie cheese, added onions, pickles and mustard and tasted just like a real burger one of my all time favorite foods. Other then adding things like Veggie cheese and Veggie Pepperoni’s I have been 100% OP. I've had temptation but not really OMG strong ones. I try to have something as close to my craving as possible but stay OP. It works for me. My honey laughed at me the other day when I woke up I had dreamt that I cheated, for a moment when I woke up I had to think was that real or a dream......very Relieved it was a dream... This is my new life rarely get acid reflux anymore which I had so bad before the doc's kept trying to get me to take 3 prescription pills a day. I LOVE THIS IP WORLD !!!!!

patns
10-27-2013, 12:48 PM
Just a side note to Molly if she comes back. I got sidetracked this week with low carb baking. Found out that is not going to work! I made low carb cranberry cookies, the recipe said you couldn't tell the difference from high carb cookies. Well my body agreed with that, instant 2 pound gain.

What works best for me in the long run is phase 2, with occasional regular days for social occasions but these can't be more than maybe twice a month.
For the higher fat I personally seem to need, I put a splash of real cream in my 2 cups of coffee a day.

I know this is not the maintenance thread but am posting here because over 50 is a different world for weight loss. In maintenance I continue to struggle with 10 pounds but have come to realize that the general public is monitoring 10 pounds all the time too, so a close watch is always necessary. What I have slipped up on it the routine of eating a set number of times a day, with basic foods each time. I am a nibbler by nature and nibbles add up way quicker that we think. The thing I need to get rid of is nuts. A small amount of those really add up.

Annik
10-27-2013, 12:58 PM
Thanks, patns. This is helpful.

65X65
10-27-2013, 01:13 PM
Just a side note to Molly if she comes back. I got sidetracked this week with low carb baking. Found out that is not going to work! I made low carb cranberry cookies, the recipe said you couldn't tell the difference from high carb cookies. Well my body agreed with that, instant 2 pound gain.

What works best for me in the long run is phase 2, with occasional regular days for social occasions but these can't be more than maybe twice a month.
For the higher fat I personally seem to need, I put a splash of real cream in my 2 cups of coffee a day.

I know this is not the maintenance thread but am posting here because over 50 is a different world for weight loss. In maintenance I continue to struggle with 10 pounds but have come to realize that the general public is monitoring 10 pounds all the time too, so a close watch is always necessary. What I have slipped up on it the routine of eating a set number of times a day, with basic foods each time. I am a nibbler by nature and nibbles add up way quicker that we think. The thing I need to get rid of is nuts. A small amount of those really add up.

Patns...interesting...am thinking I need more fat also...I had horrible dry skin all last winter in spite of all the tricks, and it is starting again already. Come Halloween though will be starting P2 and am grateful to be able to legally add some more fat into my diet soon. There is not enough moisturizer to prevent my hands and face from drying out. Last year by Valentines day I could hardly do any sewing or card making/paper craft because the tips of my fingers were cracked, dry and bleeding! That has never happened before....and I see it beginning to happen again already this past week.

ladybugsgrandma
10-27-2013, 01:56 PM
I'm 54, 3rd week on IP, and am sooooo happy my endo recommended I do this! I'm not only down 15+ lbs (on the way to buy fresh batteries for my scale!), but I am down 80+ units of insulin over the past 2 months!

This past summer, we took my son's family to Disneyworld to celebrate his return from Afghanistan. When I finally had to rent a scooter to be able to do the things my granddaughter wanted to do, I became determined to do something about my weight. A few weeks later, I was told I was not a candidate for lap-band. Another few weeks went by and my ortho told me very bluntly that I needed a knee replacement, but was too obese and it would be a "waste of time." I was furious at the time, but 2 days later my endo suggested I check into IP. I guess my journey to that point created a mindset of "I WILL do this!"

Sooo... Here I am. On a journey to a healthier, happier, smaller me! ...and very happy I found this forum! :)

Debbie

lisa32989
10-27-2013, 03:20 PM
I'm 54, 3rd week on IP, and am sooooo happy my endo recommended I do this! I'm not only down 15+ lbs (on the way to buy fresh batteries for my scale!), but I am down 80+ units of insulin over the past 2 months!

This past summer, we took my son's family to Disneyworld to celebrate his return from Afghanistan. When I finally had to rent a scooter to be able to do the things my granddaughter wanted to do, I became determined to do something about my weight. A few weeks later, I was told I was not a candidate for lap-band. Another few weeks went by and my ortho told me very bluntly that I needed a knee replacement, but was too obese and it would be a "waste of time." I was furious at the time, but 2 days later my endo suggested I check into IP. I guess my journey to that point created a mindset of "I WILL do this!"

Sooo... Here I am. On a journey to a healthier, happier, smaller me! ...and very happy I found this forum! :)

Debbie
Hi Debbie :welcome3:

I can so totally relate to the determination you are reporting! IP WORKS!

Yesterday we talked about how "giving in" to such a restrictive program is just the sort of surrender we needed to completely change our lives.

Last year at this time I had been on IP for a bit but I still had no stamina. If I spent much time in the kitchen I had to rest. Today I'll be gone from home from 3 pm til past midnight for a World Series game. I couldn't have done this last year.

What a difference a year makes! I'm so thankful someone told me about IP and that I stuck with it NO MATTER WHAT.

All of the upcoming holidays CAN be done ON PLAN. I made it through every major holiday for an entire year plus my own 50th birthday. Nothing was deterring me. Nothing was enticing me except weight loss & sticking with it no matter what. It hasn't been easy (still isn't) but neither was the alternative. I was getting worse and worse.

I now say I have the disease of obesity and I'll have to treat it for the rest of my life, whether I'm currently displaying symptoms or not. One of our maintainers refers to herself as POW (previously overweight). I'm F-MOB (formerly morbidly obese). I never want to go back to where I was!

WingnutandMe
10-27-2013, 10:00 PM

I'm here and thanks for what works and doesn't work for you. I do okay with a few more carbs as long as I maintain myself. I do a lot of low carb baking and didn't have any issues. Even got DH, who's never dieted in his life, to fall in love with some paleo chocolate chip cookies (not necessarily low carb with the chocolate chips, but no sugar or flour) and a low carb cheesecake. I have low carb cookbooks and low fat cookbooks. I've gotten rid of all my old traditional ones. I've amassed a lot of great recipes, about 500 right now. Have them all inventoried in a spreadsheet so I can easily find one that sounds good, tell what special ingredients and then locate it in the cookbook. Course we're stuck with carrying around two crates of cookbooks and three crates of foods when we travel. Worse than when on P1.

Molly

patns
10-28-2013, 02:12 AM
Patns...interesting...am thinking I need more fat also...I had horrible dry skin all last winter in spite of all the tricks, and it is starting again already. Come Halloween though will be starting P2 and am grateful to be able to legally add some more fat into my diet soon. There is not enough moisturizer to prevent my hands and face from drying out. Last year by Valentines day I could hardly do any sewing or card making/paper craft because the tips of my fingers were cracked, dry and bleeding! That has never happened before....and I see it beginning to happen again already this past week.

65, I am originally from the east coast of Canada, now on the Canadian prairie.

I never had trouble with dry skin back east, the air is so moist. Here the air is so dry it is an issue. Your skin must really be dry if you have that much trouble in the east.
I just remembered what I added while on phase 1 was krill oil supplements. I think they really helped and they don't have a fishy after taste. I must remember to pick some up at Costco again.

patns
10-28-2013, 02:15 AM
Molly, I hope I can handle the low carb baking when I get to goal again. My problem is falling back on my nibbling habit and not getting my protein in. Making sure I get enough protein seems to be just as important as getting fewer carbs.

65X65
10-28-2013, 07:22 AM
65, I am originally from the east coast of Canada, now on the Canadian prairie.

I never had trouble with dry skin back east, the air is so moist. Here the air is so dry it is an issue. Your skin must really be dry if you have that much trouble in the east.
I just remembered what I added while on phase 1 was krill oil supplements. I think they really helped and they don't have a fishy after taste. I must remember to pick some up at Costco again.
Thanks for the hint patns...Do use a fish oil my husband thought was pretty good, but I possibly need to add something else, and will need to get more soon of something. The problem is likely somewhat hereditary, and also possibly a function of thyroid, which although the numbers say is controlled..may in reality still be a bit wonky after so many rears on replacement. I feel good otherwise and amazingly was not losing my hair as others have and on IP. Have been digging out all the hand lotions and skin stuff from last winter. There is still a long season of card making ahead of me and my fingers need to work! Haven't even started the Holiday greetings yet. By this time last year I'd not only nailed the design...they were almost 100% assembled and completed. (LOL...too much time on the internet ..AKA ...3FCs this fall!) Good luck with the baking...I miss it as I used to do a lot, and very special creative molded cookies esp for the holidays, but turned to inedible ways to be creative years ago...to avoid having the finished product around!

SuzieV
10-28-2013, 12:22 PM
Yesterday we talked about how "giving in" to such a restrictive program is just the sort of surrender we needed to completely change our lives.

One of the many advantages of being 50+ is really getting to know your true self. I realize that I will gain if I eat the way that got me here. I cannot eat like a person who has never had weight challenges or the average American for that matter. I am EMBRACING low carb and high protein and making myself a priority. Have a good week lovely ladies!

65X65
10-28-2013, 12:30 PM
One of the many advantages of being 50+ is really getting to know your true self. I realize that I will gain if I eat the way that got me here. I cannot eat like a person who has never had weight challenges or the average American for that matter. I am EMBRACING low carb and high protein and making myself a priority. Have a good week lovely ladies!

....I'm right there with ya' sister....and ready to start my phase off!! It's actually exciting to incorporate all of this into my "new" life. Loving the clothes I can buy...Loving being able to clean my entire house, do yard work...shop, run errands with no aches and pains or feeling like I've had enough...when there is still more that needs done. WHY would I want to EVER go back to that life? It is still scarey to know the management of maintenance is all up to me...and the simplicity of the plan is going to be behind me...but many have shown .. it can be done.

Someone mentioned a book last week..."The Art ands Science of Low Carb Living"...and it just arrived!!

Fixing a nice hot coffee/IP capuccino shake and a salad for lunch...then settling in my fav chair for a quick look at it before hitting the rest of my today's to-do list!

Jbhigdon
10-28-2013, 04:14 PM
I've just started using coconut oil for my skin and so far it seems to be making quite a difference. The first time I rubbed it on I thought...NO WAY I'll be able to do this!!! I don't like heavy, greasy moisturizers and this stuff felt like both. But by the time I got my nightly "getting ready for bed" routine over with I had no greasy oily feeling on my skin...just smoothness!!!

First winter on IP so maybe this and the fish oil I'm taking will be enough to keep dry skin at bay!!

WingnutandMe
10-28-2013, 10:05 PM
Molly, I hope I can handle the low carb baking when I get to goal again. My problem is falling back on my nibbling habit and not getting my protein in. Making sure I get enough protein seems to be just as important as getting fewer carbs.

Pat,

I think protein is a key. I find if I get all my protein, I'm not hungry and don't have an urge to snack or nibble. When I don't, I'm hungry in just a short time and then I want something and resistance isn't easy. It's just as importance in maintenance to keep the delicate balance as it was in P1.

My problem is I love to cook and bake and I find all these things to make, but I really don't need them around to eat. I need to be like the Amish around here and bake all week and then have a bake sale on the weekend when the "down staters" come up to "play." When I go back to work, it won't be as bad as I will not have time to bake.

Speaking of work. I need all of your good thoughts as I have a phone interview Thursday morning. I hate interviewing, so I need all the support I can get. Thanks.

Molly

SuzieV
11-03-2013, 01:39 PM
Crazy...this thread was on page 3!!! Oh well, today is my last day of P1 for a couple of days. Will have a clear liquid diet tomorrow prepping for my 1st colonoscopy Tuesday morning...one of the joys of turning 50 :) Not worried about the procedure, but apprehensive about taking laxatives & miralax...I've heard good & bad. Hoping for good test results so I don't have to do this for 10 more years.

65X65
11-03-2013, 02:37 PM
Pat,

I think protein is a key. I find if I get all my protein, I'm not hungry and don't have an urge to snack or nibble. When I don't, I'm hungry in just a short time and then I want something and resistance isn't easy. It's just as importance in maintenance to keep the delicate balance as it was in P1.

My problem is I love to cook and bake and I find all these things to make, but I really don't need them around to eat. I need to be like the Amish around here and bake all week and then have a bake sale on the weekend when the "down staters" come up to "play." When I go back to work, it won't be as bad as I will not have time to bake.

Speaking of work. I need all of your good thoughts as I have a phone interview Thursday morning. I hate interviewing, so I need all the support I can get. Thanks.

Molly

As always good advice Molly!!

...Best of luck with the tele interview! They should ask us...we'll tell 'em you're awesome!!

WingnutandMe
11-03-2013, 05:10 PM
As always good advice Molly!!

...Best of luck with the tele interview! They should ask us...we'll tell 'em you're awesome!!

Thanks, 65

Unfortunately, you will have to postpone your good thoughts. At the last minute they moved my interview out to this coming Tuesday morning. PLUS, my current staffing agency has a position they just found out about on Friday with the place I just finished at. It appears to be with a different department and I don't know if they'll feel I'm even qualified, but at least I have a couple of their people who will recommend me. The toughest part of that job is they want someone to start a week from Monday and I'm up here in Michigan now. I so wanted to wait until December, but a jobs a job.

Keep those good thoughts coming.

Molly

Delgen
11-03-2013, 11:02 PM
Thanks, 65

Unfortunately, you will have to postpone your good thoughts. At the last minute they moved my interview out to this coming Tuesday morning. PLUS, my current staffing agency has a position they just found out about on Friday with the place I just finished at. It appears to be with a different department and I don't know if they'll feel I'm even qualified, but at least I have a couple of their people who will recommend me. The toughest part of that job is they want someone to start a week from Monday and I'm up here in Michigan now. I so wanted to wait until December, but a jobs a job.

Keep those good thoughts coming.

Molly

Good luck on Tuesday, Molly. I hope this works out for you well. Getting a new job is stressful.
BTW your pics look great! You are looking so wonderful!

patns
11-04-2013, 12:10 AM
Sending good vibes your way Molly. I hope which ever one is best for you works out.

Pat

cnegi
11-06-2013, 02:06 PM
I'm new here (& hope I'm posting right). I've been on IP for 4 weeks & loving it too. So glad to find this group. I'm 55 & very blessed in my life.

65X65
11-06-2013, 06:20 PM
I'm new here (& hope I'm posting right). I've been on IP for 4 weeks & loving it too. So glad to find this group. I'm 55 & very blessed in my life.

Welcome! There are some very wise ladies on this thread who have blessed us all with their experiences and knowledge. Reached my own goal with that support! Best wishes to you ... :goodluck:! and :welcome: again!

Roni Lee
11-07-2013, 01:12 AM
This is my favorite group. I turned 50 in September so i am "legal" to post here now. Ha ha. I havent been doing anything plan wise for a year lost 18 pounds last year gained 7 back. So am ready to commit. I will be doing it on my own with alternative products. I feel prepared to do this due to all of the support on this site. Thank you ladies

SuzieV
11-07-2013, 12:33 PM
This is my favorite group. I turned 50 in September so i am "legal" to post here now. Ha ha. I havent been doing anything plan wise for a year lost 18 pounds last year gained 7 back. So am ready to commit. I will be doing it on my own with alternative products. I feel prepared to do this due to all of the support on this site. Thank you ladies

Welcome Roni Lee:hug: I also turned 50 in September and feel better then I have in probably 20 years. Finally taking care of myself and making ME the priority rather than everyone else. I do have to remind myself of that daily! I've only used alternatives...it works. This forum is my inspiration & motivation. Good luck!

katenh
11-07-2013, 05:06 PM
Well 9 weeks in and 25 pounds down! My loss has been slow but steady and 15 more to go..maybe by New Years! The best part is how shaped my body is now, I lost weight in places I never thought I could. I am so grateful to IP and to all the folks who post here and keep me motivated!

lisa32989
11-07-2013, 06:51 PM
Well 9 weeks in and 25 pounds down! My loss has been slow but steady and 15 more to go..maybe by New Years! The best part is how shaped my body is now, I lost weight in places I never thought I could. I am so grateful to IP and to all the folks who post here and keep me motivated!
I'm just trying to figure out what part of 25 in 9 weeks is slow? (2.77 average/week is NOT slow!)

Congrats on your losses. This is to be celebrated, not put down in any way, shape, or form!

Roni Lee
11-08-2013, 01:46 AM
Thank you Suzie. I see you are in Eastern Wa. Me too. I had my 50th on the 14th of September.

jemma51
11-08-2013, 10:26 AM
I love to read the stories from you ladies. I'm to IP and doind okay. I'm losing and that's all I can ask for. Sometimes I amaze myself with my will power when temptations surround me.

Reading your stories about maintenance scares me to death. I am so afraid when I get to that point all of this hard work will be for nothing. I obviously am overweight because I lack self control. I just hope when I get to my goal I can do what I have to do and not go back to my self food medicating myself.

schenectady
11-08-2013, 11:20 AM
Welcome! There are some very wise ladies on this thread who have blessed us all with their experiences and knowledge. Reached my own goal with that support! Best wishes to you ... :goodluck:! and :welcome: again!

One of the very wise ladies on this board is YOU! You are the voice of calm and reason in what is sometimes a contentious world.

It was so nice and very heartwarming to see your message of concern to me over my "absence". I sent you a reply but not sure if my creaky computer ate it.

Our Marine son was home for nearly a month after his deployment and we had a grand and wonderful visit. I was OP for the first few days and then just enjoyed road trips, visits, restaurants and all with his and his new (long time girlfriend) fiancée.

All in all I learned about falling off, and now getting back on! He is on his way back to Hawaii and another deployment, returning just before his wedding to a young lady we all love and adore.

Just a big bump in the road but I am back making kale soup and eating pickles!

schenectady
11-08-2013, 11:24 AM
Hi Debbie :welcome3:

I now say I have the disease of obesity and I'll have to treat it for the rest of my life, whether I'm currently displaying symptoms or not. One of our maintainers refers to herself as POW (previously overweight). I'm F-MOB (formerly morbidly obese). I never want to go back to where I was!

Lisa - you are so wise and right about this. It is A DISEASE from which we cannot escape as I have discovered in the past month. It is there lurking even when we make great progress.

It is wonderful that we have people like you who are upfront and direct about this challenge we all face. You are a great inspiration and I so appreciate the occasional kick in the you-know-what which gets one back on track. Thank you.

SuzieV
11-14-2013, 12:42 PM
Ack...this thread is on page 3 again :( I bought some new to me Miss Me jeans off craigslist in a size 29. They're a little tighter than I like so really focusing on water, oil, salt & veggies. Also thinking about joining a gym. Well off to ride my horse and make the most of this day. Hope you all do too!

schenectady
11-22-2013, 12:28 PM
Ack...this thread is on page 3 again :( I bought some new to me Miss Me jeans off craigslist in a size 29. They're a little tighter than I like so really focusing on water, oil, salt & veggies. Also thinking about joining a gym. Well off to ride my horse and make the most of this day. Hope you all do too!

How are you doing on those jeans? I cannot wait to be a point where I am comfortable wearing them because as I got heavier over the years, I gave them up.

As one of the over 50's, I spent last week taking care of myself. After hearing of a third family member to have melanoma, I made an appointment for a physical, one for a dermatologist to check my entire body for anything (unfortunately the COMPLETE body), mammogram, dentist appointment.

I know that when I was heavier, I was embarrassed to see the doctors because I was ashamed of my weight and did not want to get talked to. I cannot say I like going any better, but because I know I am taking care of myself, I am doing it all.

SuzieV
11-22-2013, 07:41 PM
How are you doing on those jeans? I cannot wait to be a point where I am comfortable wearing them because as I got heavier over the years, I gave them up.

As one of the over 50's, I spent last week taking care of myself. After hearing of a third family member to have melanoma, I made an appointment for a physical, one for a dermatologist to check my entire body for anything (unfortunately the COMPLETE body), mammogram, dentist appointment.

I know that when I was heavier, I was embarrassed to see the doctors because I was ashamed of my weight and did not want to get talked to. I cannot say I like going any better, but because I know I am taking care of myself, I am doing it all.

Hey thanks for asking. I wore them to Costco today to stock up on veggies & salad. I'm shocked when I see my reflection in the freezer cases...is it really me? I went through all the medical stuff last month...physical, colonoscopy, mammogram, bone scan & blood work. Good test results on all. Maybe next year, I'll hit up the dermatologist. It's important to do the preventative exams & more importantly to make yourself a priority!

Lizzy63
11-27-2013, 07:44 PM
Oh, my.... Can't believe I found you fabulous ladies on Page 3!! So, bumping you up to the top...

Have not been here much lately - getting very close to one year on maintenance now and spend most of my time on the maintainers thread, but I still thing of my fab 50 friends. How did this thread get so quiet?

patns
11-28-2013, 01:33 PM
Just bumping up the thread. I hate it when people disappear after a while. I wonder how everyone is doing in our IP "afterlife". Hopefully people will pop in over the holidays.
Pat

lisa32989
11-28-2013, 01:40 PM
Just bumping up the thread. I hate it when people disappear after a while. I wonder how everyone is doing in our IP "afterlife". Hopefully people will pop in over the holidays.

Ditto on that. I miss a LOT of folks that I got to "know" last year. I wish them all the utmost success in maintenance

patns
11-28-2013, 01:53 PM
I think a lot of the problem is we all have to adjust maintenance to what works for out particular body. So it is likely not "pure" IP type and we are not sure what we can share on this board.

On a positive note after rapid regain starting with phase 3, I just realized I have maintained solidly since last Christmas at 145. This was with adding some weight training in too so my clothes are starting to fit a lot better again.

I refused to buy bigger sizes so things were tight for a while. So I am aiming to get a half pound a week off until I get back to 135 which is a more maintainable goal for me.

I am doing the 5:2 plan. But any plan is really maintenance for me as we all know how tough it is to lose as we get older and have been overweight most of our lives.

But IP was the only plan that allowed me to lose weight. With anything else I do well to stay the same.

Pat

lisa32989
11-28-2013, 02:29 PM
I think IPs P4 is ONE maintenance plan. Being gluten-free, I've had to adjust.
I DO use a fairly low carb approach and I do p1 days after days when I choose to have much higher carb meal (like tamales the other day). I've found a meal like that leaves me not feeling so great. I prefer to feel good.

My general plan is lower carb and higher fat than P4. As long as it works!

The difference for me is the focus on a P1 day if I think I've had a day that was just too much.

Since I already plan on hopping on P1 to goal in January, I thought I'm better-off sticking around right now.

katenh
12-01-2013, 08:20 AM
Happy December everyone! Yesterday was my five year wedding anniversary and who would thought I would be weighing 15 pounds less than my wedding day! I am so grateful to this board for support, even if I do not post. Just reading other's struggles,challenges and successes keeps me on the track if I stumble. Honestly a little afraid of phase 2 and starting to eat other foods. Made it through Thanksgiving and did not really feel tempted which is huge for me. I have had some significant female issues and since losing weight they have subsided and disappeared in most cases. Any time I am tempted I remind myself how awful I felt with those issues most of the time, and that keeps me honest. Looking forward to a happy and a healthier December.

lisa32989
12-01-2013, 10:22 AM
Happy December everyone! Yesterday was my five year wedding anniversary and who would thought I would be weighing 15 pounds less than my wedding day! I am so grateful to this board for support, even if I do not post. Just reading other's struggles,challenges and successes keeps me on the track if I stumble. Honestly a little afraid of phase 2 and starting to eat other foods. Made it through Thanksgiving and did not really feel tempted which is huge for me. I have had some significant female issues and since losing weight they have subsided and disappeared in most cases. Any time I am tempted I remind myself how awful I felt with those issues most of the time, and that keeps me honest. Looking forward to a happy and a healthier December.

The nice thing about phase 2 is you keep eating exactly the same except you replace one pack with another meat
So lunch and dinner look the same (meat & veggies) and all other meals stay the same as p1. No "other" foods to be nervous about!

goldilocksinct
12-01-2013, 10:33 AM
Hi All--I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

It has been great for me to start the holidays feeling and looking so much better. What a difference from last year when I felt so yucky and sluggish. Go me! :cheer3:

I am off to NYC next week for a few days to see a show and shop. I am prepared and think I will do fine. I need to eat more as we will be walking so much.

I went to my IP appointment Saturday morning and it was closed! I am glad I am so used to the diet since that did not throw me off at all. We went out of state for a family event and had a message when we got home that she was really sick but will be around this morning, so I will go in then.

delmarva
12-01-2013, 11:08 AM
HI 50-plusers!

I'm turning 52 this year. Nearly to my goal. I'm glad to join this forum to help me maintain. I was motivated to lose when I started seeing metabolic syndrome problems (fatty liver, rising triglycerides etc), and diabetes runs in the family. So, with that, I got serious. In 2011-2012, I cut out sugar (bye ice cream :( ) and all refined flours and simple starch vegetables. I eat plenty of protein, don't worry about fat (tho most of my protein is chicken, eggs, and sardines), plus fruit, veggies and lots of nuts. It was a steady SLOW weight loss, which has continued steadily til now. In 2012, I found a great PT and boosted up exercise.

I feel a lot better now. I had weak joints and felt scared about the problems I was started to have on long walks, getting up off the floor, etc. I felt much older and so fragile!! A good physical therapist has been very beneficial. It's like having a coach.

I really appreciate this group and hope to contribute. Thanks all!

lisa32989
12-01-2013, 11:13 AM
Delmarva: did you not do Ideal Protein?
This thread is in the IP sub-forum.

delmarva
12-01-2013, 11:19 AM
I read this thread, and many people posted on it, indicated they were in their 50's and not on IP. If there is another over 50 thread somewhere else, my apologies. Focused on the title (which showed in my 'new' feed) as opposed to sub forums. Still learning! (Also, my diet is ultra lo carb so I thought I would fit in.)

schenectady
12-01-2013, 12:17 PM
Hey thanks for asking. I wore them to Costco today to stock up on veggies & salad. I'm shocked when I see my reflection in the freezer cases...is it really me? I went through all the medical stuff last month...physical, colonoscopy, mammogram, bone scan & blood work. Good test results on all. Maybe next year, I'll hit up the dermatologist. It's important to do the preventative exams & more importantly to make yourself a priority!

I am laughing since this is the over 50's group - my schedule is essentially the same. Did hearing test, bone scan, just finished mammogram. Next week dentist, then week before Christmas annual exam and dermatologist. Hope the results are good.

The dermatologist is a new one for me but have been advised that at my age, I should have my body checked for things like melanomas. It does run in the family so I am going to do it although my baby sister says having your entire (yes, ENTIRE) body examined under a magnifying glass is no fun.

Not quite as bad as a colonoscopy, granted, but at least for that you get happy juice so you are not conscious of what they are doing!

Great subject matter, but, yes, we DO need to take care of our health.

katenh
12-01-2013, 05:19 PM
The nice thing about phase 2 is you keep eating exactly the same except you replace one pack with another meat
So lunch and dinner look the same (meat & veggies) and all other meals stay the same as p1. No "other" foods to be nervous about!

Thanks Lisa! Good to know. It makes me feel better and not so anxious.

SuzieV
12-03-2013, 09:01 PM
Hello ladies! I'm still hanging in there. Haven't lost any weight but have went down another half a size. I'm wearing 8's...NEVER thought I'd be in single digits! Been doing P1 with a couple P3 days sprinkled in for variety. My plan is to make it through the holidays and then hit it hard in January. I've been walking and need to step it up a bit for snow shoeing and cross country skiing. I can't wait...I'm going to feel so much better this winter, but will need to add layers since my natural insulation is almost gone :)

katenh
12-05-2013, 07:28 AM
Hello ladies! I'm still hanging in there. Haven't lost any weight but have went down another half a size. I'm wearing 8's...NEVER thought I'd be in single digits! Been doing P1 with a couple P3 days sprinkled in for variety. My plan is to make it through the holidays and then hit it hard in January. I've been walking and need to step it up a bit for snow shoeing and cross country skiing. I can't wait...I'm going to feel so much better this winter, but will need to add layers since my natural insulation is almost gone :)

Congratulations! Laughing over the lack of natural insulation..me too! Invested in a few down coats at the consignment shop and a heated blanket to get me through the New England winters. I too have the same goal, snow shoeing with the husband and looking forward to actually getting out there and having some fun!

Ruth Ann
12-05-2013, 09:59 AM
Congratulations! Laughing over the lack of natural insulation..me too! Invested in a few down coats at the consignment shop and a heated blanket to get me through the New England winters. I too have the same goal, snow shoeing with the husband and looking forward to actually getting out there and having some fun!

I bought fleece lined leggings the other day - they are great! We've hit a cold snap and they have really helped.

AliKay
12-07-2013, 12:33 PM
Hi Ladies..it's been a long, long time. I think the last time I logged in was last year sometime. I just wanted to see how everyone was doing and OMG, Lisa you look wonderful. What a difference in your photos. Congrats!!!

I finally made goal after a long, long bout of not losing anything. I eventually had to jump start my carb intake and broke through that barrier after 8 weeks of not losing anything. Happily I am now doing a maintenance plan that works for me. It came down to me giving up certain foods that seem to trigger "overindulging." :)

Since the last visit here, I moved, changed jobs and my child graduated from college and is now working on her Master's. It never ends.

Just wanted to shout out to everyone! Have a wonderful Holiday season!

Ali

SuzieV
12-12-2013, 02:05 PM
Glad to hear everyone is layering up and surviving this cold weather. Planning on getting the annual Christmas letter going today...at least I won't be trying to find a pic that hides my belly this year :) I haven't weighed in a week, which is huge for me...I hopped on the scale everyday and sometimes multiple times a day. Just trusting the plan and how I feel. Maybe I'll get a nice surprise the next time I step on the scale or maybe not. Wishing all you lovely ladies the best! Ho...ho...ho!

gemi2
12-15-2013, 11:42 PM
I've been reading these posts on IP and wonder if all have had success in keeping their weight loss off. Was this a program you did at an office or on your own? My chiro use to offer it which is why I'm curious if it's the same thing.

I have yo yo'd way too many times and need to find something that will work with my 57 year old body. I also have fibromyalgia and hypothyroid. But need to do something about this weight I really don't want to be carrying around.

lisa32989
12-16-2013, 12:07 AM
I've been reading these posts on IP and wonder if all have had success in keeping their weight loss off. Was this a program you did at an office or on your own? My chiro use to offer it which is why I'm curious if it's the same thing.

I have yo yo'd way too many times and need to find something that will work with my 57 year old body. I also have fibromyalgia and hypothyroid. But need to do something about this weight I really don't want to be carrying around.
You may want to take a look at the maintainers thread
Not everyone who loses weight to goal here sticks around for maintainers thread. Ongoing participating in this community can be time consuming

Here is my take, as one who has previously lost 100 and regained most of it, never reaching goal:

One must go into a diet plan (which is short term) with an eye on the future (long term). I chose IP because of the maintenance support offered. I failed at maintenance on my own before and did not want to repeat the cycle. Any diet plan can work to get weight off but maintenance is a whole different thing. I dont blame Atkins b/c I didn't maintain my weight loss, I blame myself in not learning new habits that would help me keep it off.

If lifestyle changes aren't made, maintenance won't happen. Period.
IPs phase 4 is for life. It is a way to eat and live within boundaries with food. I got morbidly obese because I lost all sense of boundary. I've spent the past year and a half re-learning limits.

schenectady
12-17-2013, 11:09 AM
I had a nice conversation with the doctor yesterday at my physical so I thought I would review with him my plans regarding my weight. I knew that my goal of 160 was probably higher than those delightful insurance type weight charts but wanted his opinion since I have known him for many years and many weights.

He is happy with 160 - it is on the wrong side of the best BMI at 25% but he feels that if I am eating well, getting exercise and feel good with good lab work that is fine for me. At my age, we are just not as perky and lithe as we could have been while younger, so I am happy with that. Nice to know that I can strive for that as opposed to the lower weights many of the charts show.

goldilocksinct
12-17-2013, 10:03 PM
That is such great news, Schenectady! It is good that you have a good relationship with your doctor and can come to this together.

The scale they use at my clinic has a readout and it says I should weigh 128.8, which is a bit less than my 140. I will wait until I get in the neighborhood before I decide.

Lisa, I really agree with you!

I have stayed at the same weight for 3 weeks of weigh ins. My coach suggested I might want to do all non-restricted foods for a week to see if that gets me moving down again, so I am doing that. I am not upset with this little stall at all. I am amazed that I will be very close if not make it to losing ONE HUNDRED POUNDS after a year on IP. The most amazing thing is that it does not seem that long and it has not been that bad. People are now all saying that I have such incredible will power but I don't feel like I do. It was actually harder when I was trying so hard to do WW and exercising an hour and day and not seeing the scale move!!!

slwilso
12-18-2013, 02:39 PM
Double nickel (55). Can't wait until I start the IP Alternate Plan!

Yesmyqueen
12-18-2013, 08:51 PM
Hi for those of you who remember me, just letting you know I'll be coming back soon, gained back too much and will be needing you all, probably in a few weeks like New Years, IP rocks I know, but only if you really live it for life and I haved not and paid the price. Any way see you soon! Teena

goldilocksinct
12-21-2013, 11:37 PM
I made it at today's weigh in--100.2 pounds lost! This is an amazing Christmas present for me this week. :D

goldilocksinct
12-21-2013, 11:37 PM
Welcome back, Teena!

calypso58
12-22-2013, 09:34 AM
I made it at today's weigh in--100.2 pounds lost! This is an amazing Christmas present for me this week. :D

Merry Christmas! That is so awesome!!!:xcheer::elf::present::snowglo::clause:: rudolph::xcheer:

IdealProteinNewbie
12-22-2013, 09:56 AM

Welcome to the club! Congratulations! :carrot:

schenectady
12-30-2013, 09:10 PM
Goldilocksinct - sincere and loud congratulations on the loss of over 100 pounds. You should hear me cheering across country! What an incredible achievement.

Teena - hang in there with this site and you will be back where you want to be in no time. There are such wonderful people on here who will give you support, encouragement and answers, even though they have reached their own goals. What a great gift they are!

Ruth Ann
01-01-2014, 11:23 PM
Hoping someone here has gone through this and can share their experience.

I went off my hormone replacement therapy right after starting IP (had a total hysterectomy back in '06). Was doing fine until a couple of months ago and started having horrid hot flashes and night sweats - I figured it was odd starting up 5 months after I stopped the HRT. So the doc put me back on a low dose HRT - her feeling is that with all the changes my body has gone through it just took longer to get the menopausal symptoms and made them more severe.

Anybody have any words of wisdom a far as HRT slowing weight loss or has it not made any difference at all? Or am I just a really bad worrywart? I know I need to do the HRT if I want some decent sleep, but I worry anyway.

Goodtimes
01-02-2014, 10:50 AM
Hoping someone here has gone through this and can share their experience.

I went off my hormone replacement therapy right after starting IP (had a total hysterectomy back in '06). Was doing fine until a couple of months ago and started having horrid hot flashes and night sweats - I figured it was odd starting up 5 months after I stopped the HRT. So the doc put me back on a low dose HRT - her feeling is that with all the changes my body has gone through it just took longer to get the menopausal symptoms and made them more severe.

Anybody have any words of wisdom a far as HRT slowing weight loss or has it not made any difference at all? Or am I just a really bad worrywart? I know I need to do the HRT if I want some decent sleep, but I worry anyway.

I have not used hormone therapy but am on an IUD and have been wondering if that is 1) reducing the severity of my menopausal symptoms and 2) if that has impacted my weight loss. I'm not as worried about the weight loss because I have been losing weight. I would not be surprised if my symptoms increase when the IUD is removed. I will also be interested in reading if anyone has experienced what you've described. Hang in there! Is the low dosage of HRT ihelping?

I would try not to worry too much about it though, just generally, because it will not help you. Worrying is a waste of energy and everything tends to work itself out. Because I tend to worry too, I've worked on managing this tendency for myself. I keep my favorite quote by Mark Twain around

“I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.”
― Mark Twain

Unfortunately, our bodies will physiologically react to scenarios created by our mind even if we ultimately do not have that experience. Thoughts can be powerful in that way.

Also to everyone on this thread, I am really happy to be participating here. I just turned 50 in December! :-)

Ruth Ann
01-02-2014, 09:51 PM
Thank you Goodtimes! I love that quote!

I just started back on the HRT Tuesday so a little early to tell if it's helping, I'll keep you posted.

And I know I shouldn't worry about it - gotta do what I need medically but the worry part of my brain sometimes doesn't like to shut up!

SuzieV
01-03-2014, 11:54 AM
I hope everyone's 2014 has gotten off to a good start. I'm officially back on P1 as of yesterday...love the simplicity of the plan. Trying to lose those last 10 lbs that would rather stay with me for some reason :( A new year is so inspiring and the possibilities are endless...it gives me goosebumps!

lisa32989
01-08-2014, 08:07 PM
Hi Ladies
I found us many pages back

SuzieV
01-08-2014, 08:58 PM
Hey Lisa...I know...there are SO MANY NEW THREADS! It seems we are all spread out over various topics. I try to peruse the newest for nuggets of information or inspiration.

Nothing new with me. Just workin' through P1. Haven't jumped on the scale, but I don't feel any different YET. My husband & I are taking a trip to Phoenix at the end of February, so I hope the scale starts moving soon!

patns
01-19-2014, 12:57 PM
This was waaaaay too far down. Hope some others check in. Lisa, evertime you update your pictures the new one you put up is amazing!

lisa32989
01-19-2014, 02:52 PM
This was waaaaay too far down. Hope some others check in. Lisa, evertime you update your pictures the new one you put up is amazing!

Thanx patns

SlimmerBySummer
01-19-2014, 03:56 PM
Ruth Ann, I was talking with my ND (not my endocrinologist) who told me that it's not at all unusual for hot flashes and night sweats to worsen during IP, as yours (and mine) have. She said the reason is sort of simple. When we lose weight, we produce more testosterone, but the liver secretes an enzyme that converts it to estrogen. A liver support supplement should help, and she's ordered one for me. I am on bioidentical hormones. She told me to stop taking them for a few weeks, see what happens with the liver support.

I'm 53, went through menopause at 47.

Ruth Ann
01-19-2014, 04:55 PM
Ruth Ann, I was talking with my ND (not my endocrinologist) who told me that it's not at all unusual for hot flashes and night sweats to worsen during IP, as yours (and mine) have. She said the reason is sort of simple. When we lose weight, we produce more testosterone, but the liver secretes an enzyme that converts it to estrogen. A liver support supplement should help, and she's ordered one for me. I am on bioidentical hormones. She told me to stop taking them for a few weeks, see what happens with the liver support.

I'm 53, went through menopause at 47.

Thanks for the info! Now, if I just knew what a liver support supplement was.... off to google!

DanafromAustin
01-21-2014, 07:45 PM
Hi everyone!

I know it's been awhile since I've been back and I really had to search for this page. What's up with that? Well, thank goodness the year from h**l is over (2013) and it's time to get back on the wagon once and for all and lose what I've gained thanks to too much food, medication and way too much stress. I called my coach yesterday and said I'm coming back and so I will meet with her on Thursday and start IP on Monday. I've already warned her about my weight gain, but it is what it is and I need to get back. I am a little worried about all of the soy in the IP food because of my last bout with cancer, but my oncologist said more and more test are coming in that show there is not as much of a connection with soy and estrogen as once thought. Besides, I'm sure the extra weight is worse than the soy I ingest with IP products.

Good to be back and hope to catch up with those who are still around and the new women too.

Dana

lisa32989
01-21-2014, 07:50 PM
Hi everyone!

I know it's been awhile since I've been back and I really had to search for this page. What's up with that? Well, thank goodness the year from h**l is over (2013) and it's time to get back on the wagon once and for all and lose what I've gained thanks to too much food, medication and way too much stress. I called my coach yesterday and said I'm coming back and so I will meet with her on Thursday and start IP on Monday. I've already warned her about my weight gain, but it is what it is and I need to get back. I am a little worried about all of the soy in the IP food because of my last bout with cancer, but my oncologist said more and more test are coming in that show there is not as much of a connection with soy and estrogen as once thought. Besides, I'm sure the extra weight is worse than the soy I ingest with IP products.

Good to be back and hope to catch up with those who are still around and the new women too.

Dana
Hi Dana
Welcome back
I do it soy/gluten-free with a combo of IP products and alternatives

DanafromAustin
01-21-2014, 08:06 PM
Hi Dana
Welcome back
I do it soy/gluten-free with a combo of IP products and alternatives

Hi Lisa,
I remember you saying that, so I will be checking to see what IP products are soy free.

wallysmommy
01-21-2014, 08:07 PM
Just had to share. I've been on IP since Dec. 2. Today my A1C is normal. No more Metformin for me.

SuzieV
01-21-2014, 08:35 PM
Just had to share. I've been on IP since Dec. 2. Today my A1C is normal. No more Metformin for me.

You rock!!!!

DanafromAustin
01-22-2014, 02:21 PM

Fantastic :carrot:

CrimsonKitten
01-24-2014, 11:57 AM
Wallysmommy, congratulations!

joysh
01-25-2014, 03:57 AM
Hi everyone!
I know it's been awhile since I've been back and I really had to search for this page.....Good to be back and hope to catch up with those who are still around and the new women too.
Dana

Hi Dana! Welcome back! So good to hear from you. Hang in there!

I'm still around and usually on the maintenance thread. I reached goal last March and maintained pretty well, although I'm on a January reboot to take off the 7 pounds that found me. I've got 4 off and 3 to go. So sorry you've had the health issues. :hug:

maureen kempster
01-25-2014, 04:25 PM
good afternoon all

I hope you don't mind if I join your group - today is my first day on Ideal Protein and I'm really looking forward to continuing - I've tried everything and in the last year just from not watching what I've been eating I've gained 30 plus pounds - I'm a lapsed life time member of WW's but just can't get to the meetings - the ones around my home are French - so if you don't mind my tagging along for the ride I'd love to go on this journey with you all

I am finding that I'm craving something sweet but I'm going to just wait it out and have my snack after supper.

I have a minimum of 34 pounds to lose

thanks for being here

Maureen

drd1961
01-25-2014, 04:31 PM
good afternoon all

I hope you don't mind if I join your group - today is my first day on Ideal Protein and I'm really looking forward to continuing - I've tried everything and in the last year just from not watching what I've been eating I've gained 30 plus pounds - I'm a lapsed life time member of WW's but just can't get to the meetings - the ones around my home are French - so if you don't mind my tagging along for the ride I'd love to go on this journey with you all

I am finding that I'm craving something sweet but I'm going to just wait it out and have my snack after supper.

I have a minimum of 34 pounds to lose

thanks for being here

Maureen
Welcome! I too am a former WW lifetimer, and this is better. First week is the worst, but just follow the plan and you will lose!

DanafromAustin
01-25-2014, 04:43 PM
Hi Dana! Welcome back! So good to hear from you. Hang in there!

I'm still around and usually on the maintenance thread. I reached goal last March and maintained pretty well, although I'm on a January reboot to take off the 7 pounds that found me. I've got 4 off and 3 to go. So sorry you've had the health issues. :hug:

Thanks for the welcome back and great job on maintaining! I met with my old coach the other day and picked up all of my food. I'm starting on Monday and getting psyched to get back on plan and into my old clothes in time for the warmer weather. I just hope the weight comes off as easily this time as it did last time with this medication that I have to take.

maureen kempster
01-26-2014, 10:09 AM
good morning

I made it through day 1 without too much trouble - I drank so much water!!! is herbal tea allowed? I was told only 2 cups of coffee - I'm giving up my diet pop on this so feel like I'm going through major withdrawals on the beverage side of things.

thanks for any input

let's all have a great day

Hockeymom40
01-26-2014, 06:19 PM
good morning

I made it through day 1 without too much trouble - I drank so much water!!! is herbal tea allowed? I was told only 2 cups of coffee - I'm giving up my diet pop on this so feel like I'm going through major withdrawals on the beverage side of things.

thanks for any input

let's all have a great day

Yes, tea is allowed. When I need something sweet I put Mio in my water or have a Sparkling Ice drink. They are carbonated drinks sweetened with Sucralose.
Best of luck, this is the best diet ever and one you can go back to easily if you gain a few pounds.

DanafromAustin
01-27-2014, 06:05 PM
Hey I'm back and I won't allow us to fall to 2nd page. ;)

Kind of hungry on my first day back, so really looking forward to later in the week when I get into ketosis and it all becomes a little bit easier.

65X65
01-27-2014, 06:17 PM
Hey I'm back and I won't allow us to fall to 2nd page. ;)

Kind of hungry on my first day back, so really looking forward to later in the week when I get into ketosis and it all becomes a little bit easier.

Welcome back Dana...and wishing you a healthy stay now and for the future!

Yes...I think the second time around you DO know the drill...and hopefully can keep to the straight and narrow until that hunger thing fades. You know it will...We are all rooting for you!

maureen kempster
01-27-2014, 07:50 PM
day 3 week 1 and I'm almost finished and have done great - not feeling hungry -

schenectady
01-27-2014, 11:06 PM
day 3 week 1 and I'm almost finished and have done great - not feeling hungry -

Congratulations on making this far. You may find, as many of us have, that the first week or so an be tough at times. Trying to break off from soda may make that harder but I have never consumed much of them so I can't speak to that.

Hang in there, trudge on one day at a time and good luck.

maureen kempster
01-28-2014, 05:40 AM
I don't like cooking when I get home so I have my regular meal for breakfast - if I can't eat it all at once is it okay to eat it a bit at a time - I'll be leaving for the office I could bring it with me and graze throughout the morning - I have 8 oz of tofu & 2 cups of mixed veggies - thanks for the input

coffeebean
01-28-2014, 06:47 AM
I don't like cooking when I get home so I have my regular meal for breakfast - if I can't eat it all at once is it okay to eat it a bit at a time - I'll be leaving for the office I could bring it with me and graze throughout the morning - I have 8 oz of tofu & 2 cups of mixed veggies - thanks for the input

I usually cook a whole chicken weekly either in the crockpot or oven. I take all the skin off of the chicken before I cook it. I can make salads stir fry or plain chicken all week. This way I do not have an excuse not to stay OP since my main meal is easy to throw together. I find if I plan ahead I do well on the plan.

maureen kempster
01-28-2014, 07:26 AM
I guess what I'm really asking is do I have to eat my dinner etc at one sitting or can I eat some now and a bit later?

thanks

lisa32989
01-28-2014, 07:53 AM
I guess what I'm really asking is do I have to eat my dinner etc at one sitting or can I eat some now and a bit later?

thanks
The protein meal can be split. some folks have 4 oz at lunch and 4 at dinner & then packets for snacks instead.
Some have 2 oz for a snack & 6 oz at dinner. However it works best for you

maureen kempster
01-28-2014, 08:08 AM
thanks Lisa

I just want to make sure I do this right this time - I guess as long as I eat all I'm supposed to eat it doesn't matter how -i is that right?

thanks again

lisa32989
01-28-2014, 08:13 AM
Grazing isn't really recommended, however.
When we eat, our insulin reacts. We're trying to control that.
Stick with planned meals/snacks. You can make them more frequent if necessary. You'll find soon enough that we eat too much and too often!

maureen kempster
01-28-2014, 08:17 AM
I really think I'm worrying for nothing - I had half of my meal before I left for work and I'm eating the rest now - that's 8oz of tofu & 2 cups of mixed veggies - that will sure hold me until lunch!!

DanafromAustin
01-28-2014, 11:48 AM
Welcome back Dana...and wishing you a healthy stay now and for the future!

Yes...I think the second time around you DO know the drill...and hopefully can keep to the straight and narrow until that hunger thing fades. You know it will...We are all rooting for you!
Thank you for the kind words.

thanks Lisa

I just want to make sure I do this right this time - I guess as long as I eat all I'm supposed to eat it doesn't matter how -i is that right?

thanks again
Maureen, most coaches will tell you to go ahead and have an additional IP packet the first week since hunger the first week can be a challenge. Once you get into ketosis it will be a lot easier.

DanafromAustin
01-28-2014, 10:13 PM
My success for the day (2nd day back) is I went with my son to the movies this afternoon (all the schools were closed here today due to weather) and I didn't touch one piece of popcorn I bought him. Of course it really helped that he wanted to sit high up in the theater towards the back and I wanted to sit lower down. I sent him with the popcorn and drink so that way I didn't even have to smell it. Tomorrow one day closer to ketosis, thank goodness! :carrot:

mars735
01-28-2014, 10:19 PM
Grazing isn't really recommended, however.
When we eat, our insulin reacts. We're trying to control that.
Stick with planned meals/snacks. You can make them more frequent if necessary. You'll find soon enough that we eat too much and too often!

Too true!

lisa32989
01-28-2014, 10:35 PM
Maureen, most coaches will tell you to go ahead and have an additional IP packet the first week since hunger the first week can be a challenge. Once you get into ketosis it will be a lot easier.
Absolutely, Maureen. My coach told me 3-5 packets the first week.

maureen kempster
01-29-2014, 08:30 AM
just checking in - day #5 and I feel great - not sure if it's the program or just the honeymoon stage - but I'll take this feeling any day - I always feel good when I watch what I eat. I don't feel so bloated

have a great day on program we're worth it

schenectady
01-29-2014, 11:40 AM
just checking in - day #5 and I feel great - not sure if it's the program or just the honeymoon stage - but I'll take this feeling any day - I always feel good when I watch what I eat. I don't feel so bloated

have a great day on program we're worth it

It gets even better, Maureen. That is both encouragement for you and something to remember if you have days that don't feel so good because the whole process feels good. Keep it up!

DanafromAustin
01-29-2014, 10:00 PM
Hope everyone had a great day today. Day 3 here and still starving, but ketosis should hit me tomorrow or at the latest Friday. Hopefully the hunger or lack of will be better by then.

lisa32989
03-01-2014, 12:04 PM
THIS group will understand

I've been so bloated feeling & couldn't understand why :p
It appears TOM has made a quarterly visit
As long as the night sweats don't return, I'm good

schenectady
03-01-2014, 01:45 PM
THIS group will understand

I've been so bloated feeling & couldn't understand why :p
It appears TOM has made a quarterly visit
As long as the night sweats don't return, I'm good

I do not know whether to laugh or cry with you, Lisa! At least you know why you feel bloated but I would not be jumping for joy!

catlady1981
03-01-2014, 02:07 PM
Just found this thread and so glad I did. Today is my 55th Birthday and I am on Day 4 of Phase 1. On my home scale down 3 lbs. and very happy about that. I went to a Happy Hour last night with friends for my birthday and had water and celery sticks while everyone else was scarfing down Nachos and spinach dip. I thought it would be harder than it was to say no. I just told myself "I'm not eating that today" and came home and made my dinner. I was quite proud of myself.

Hope everyone is having a Fabulous day!

maureen kempster
03-01-2014, 02:44 PM
Just found this thread and so glad I did. Today is my 55th Birthday and I am on Day 4 of Phase 1. On my home scale down 3 lbs. and very happy about that. I went to a Happy Hour last night with friends for my birthday and had water and celery sticks while everyone else was scarfing down Nachos and spinach dip. I thought it would be harder than it was to say no. I just told myself "I'm not eating that today" and came home and made my dinner. I was quite proud of myself.

good for you catlady - best birthday gift you could give yourself - I have to go to a function tonight - my first big test of this program so far - I'm starting week 6 - I'm going to have my supper before I leave and bring an IP bar with me - will move my food around my plate - just tell them I'm not hungry and be proud of myself for sticking to program

we can do this we're worth it

happy birthday to you
:bday2you::bday2you::bday2you:

drd1961
03-01-2014, 03:07 PM

There will always be Nachos and spinach dip available. There will not always be a new healthy you if you eat the stuff, so congrats on your control.

catlady1981
03-01-2014, 03:17 PM
good for you catlady - best birthday gift you could give yourself - I have to go to a function tonight - my first big test of this program so far - I'm starting week 6 - I'm going to have my supper before I leave and bring an IP bar with me - will move my food around my plate - just tell them I'm not hungry and be proud of myself for sticking to program

we can do this we're worth it

happy birthday to you
:bday2you::bday2you::bday2you:

Thanks so much for the encouragement. I am determined to make this work! If I cheat, I'm only cheating myself. Cheating is what got me here. Good luck at your function tonight. I'm going to see my son and some friends this afternoon so I am h:paving my dinner at lunch and bringing a bar, just in case.

catlady1981
03-01-2014, 03:21 PM
There will always be Nachos and spinach dip available. There will not always be a new healthy you if you eat the stuff, so congrats on your control.

You got that right! I will be healthy and happy and in control!

CrimsonKitten
03-03-2014, 10:20 AM
Happy Birthday! Isn't it a great feeling to be in control? I celebrated my birthday on the 23rd of February. My teens decided to support me and agreed between them that cake and ice cream was not necessary. We had broiled steak with shrimp and some sauteed spinach and arugula. I went out twice to celebrate with friends and when the birthday desert arrived I gave it to the rest of the table. I have no reqret, which made the celebrations extra nice. I used my IP Chocolate drink mix to make a cake in a bowl (no run off like the mug) topped with a little WF marshmallow. My biggest gift was being healthier and it wasn't worth it to me to mess that up. Doing this program 100% because its working.:carrot:

schenectady
03-03-2014, 10:36 AM
Happy Birthday! Isn't it a great feeling to be in control? I celebrated my birthday on the 23rd of February. My teens decided to support me and agreed between them that cake and ice cream was not necessary. We had broiled steak with shrimp and some sauteed spinach and arugula. I went out twice to celebrate with friends and when the birthday desert arrived I gave it to the rest of the table. I have no reqret, which made the celebrations extra nice. I used my IP Chocolate drink mix to make a cake in a bowl (no run off like the mug) topped with a little WF marshmallow. My biggest gift was being healthier and it wasn't worth it to me to mess that up. Doing this program 100% because its working.:carrot:

CrimsonKitten - I am so happy to read your words and proud of the steps you are taking to be healthy. As Lisa has said many times, we can ALWAYS find an excuse to go off, and a birthday seems like logical one. But, if we stay OP, then we will be so healthy that we will have MANY more birthdays to celebrate and that is the greatest gift!

I have also discovered that things like a perfectly grilled butterflied shrimp with garlic and oil can be as tantalizingly delicious as sweets. My taste buds have changed and I now crave things like that and roasted cabbage...hum...

So congratulations both on the birthday and on staying 100% OP - the best present you could have given yourself - a whole heaping plate of pride!

smallerin2014
03-03-2014, 11:52 AM

Happy Birthday catlady! I am about the same age and size as you. Good for you on your choice! I have gone out for work lunches and to a couple of social events; when people question my choices (which are so out of character from my previous eating habits) I use the response "I'm here for the company." People usually respond positively and the conversation moves one.

catlady1981
03-03-2014, 11:59 AM

CrimsonKitten: Thanks for the birthday wishes. Happy Birthday to you too! My gift to myself for this birthday is the the IP program. I have already lost 6 pounds and it's only day 6! One of my friends works in a bakery and brought me a chocolate salted caramel cupcake that she made for me because she knew it was one of my favorites. I set it aside saying I was full and would eat it later. I didn't want to hurt her feelings. But I threw it away when I got home.

We can do this!

catlady1981
03-03-2014, 10:45 PM
Happy Birthday catlady! I am about the same age and size as you. Good for you on your choice! I have gone out for work lunches and to a couple of social events; when people question my choices (which are so out of character from my previous eating habits) I use the response "I'm here for the company." People usually respond positively and the conversation moves one.

Love your name! Thanks for the birthday wishes. I like that response. Now if I can just remember it...:dizzy:

catlady1981
03-09-2014, 03:36 PM
I take HRT 3 weeks out of each month. Last week was the week I did not take them and I lost 6 lbs and also my first week OP. This week was week 1 for this month of the HRT. The scale has not moved since last Sunday. Measurements show minimal losses (less than an 1/8") in some places and nothing in others. But the up side is that I haven't gained anything either. I have been 100% OP. Does anyone know if HRT can affect loss? Or maybe this has nothing to do with it?

Also, watched the video about Ketosis. Bought the Ketostix and they show I am NOT in ketosis. How is that possible? I am at day 12. :?:

nacygirl1
03-10-2014, 06:58 AM

thanks

I was told when I was going to a coach that your meal had to be eaten at one sitting and not broken up throughout the day but...he was a crappy coach and he could've been wrong.

LuvA1exa
03-10-2014, 12:45 PM
Quote:

Originally Posted by maureen kempster

thanks

I was told when I was going to a coach that your meal had to be eaten at one sitting and not broken up throughout the day but...he was a crappy coach and he could've been wrong.

Lurker - two months from my 50th - but wanted to chime in on this question. I am a natural grazer and my coach was very explicit about eating meals within 30-45 minute time period. She said we need to be sure our "tanks" get to empty so we the body is burning from the fat tank and not nibbling at carb/sugar.

She did say I could break up my dinner protein and have some at lunch or breakfast.

ssubert
03-17-2014, 08:52 PM
Hello all,
I've been checking out the Daily Chat but first time on this thread.
I've lost about 27 pounds and my skin is getting crepey, creepy, that old lady thing.
Suggestions? Is the something I need to live with? I've been putting on skin lotion. Can't hurt I guess.

I am just starting P2 and want to lose another 5-8 pounds.

lisa32989
03-17-2014, 09:47 PM
Hello all,
I've been checking out the Daily Chat but first time on this thread.
I've lost about 27 pounds and my skin is getting crepey, creepy, that old lady thing.
Suggestions? Is the something I need to live with? I've been putting on skin lotion. Can't hurt I guess.

I am just starting P2 and want to lose another 5-8 pounds.

I was just at the dermotologist getting some small spots looked at (had a couple frozen off). My over-50 skin is certainly not as young as it used to be and after losing over 90 lbs...<sigh>

Derm said there's nothing you can do. I have hanging skin. Live with it or surgery. Nothing topical (nor the collagen IP promises) will really help. From the mouth of the expert, thru me, to you.

I figure it is STILL better than being fat!

ssubert
03-18-2014, 11:29 AM
...I figure it is STILL better than being fat!
You are so right.

I started P2 today, got my chicken and mashed cauli packed for lunch.

Biggest thing is that I've been working the Beck book that so many of you have recommended. I realized that I've been eating at scheduled time, not because I was really hungry. Because I start work at 6, my lunch break is at 10. And I ate lunch because it was 10, not because I was hungry. So then I have my snack in early afternoon.

I let my co-workers know that I'll take my break at 10 but will eat later, when I get hungry. I do phone support so can eat at desk while working. Just can't be chomping on celery when on call with customer.

Ruth Ann
03-18-2014, 12:16 PM
I agree with Lisa - I'll take a little loose skin over being fat any day!

That said, a friend of mine gave me some lotion that is supposed to help with saggy skin after I complained about my neck. I don't remember the name of it off-hand but will look when I'm at home. It seems to help and I figure it can't hurt!

schenectady
03-20-2014, 06:00 PM
For whatever it is worth, Dr. Oz spoke about the subject of crepey skin (particularly around the neck and jaw). I am not normally a great fan of his but was home sick with the flu.

He had an expert dermatologist who spoke about serums made with copper peptides. I include the link here with no judgment, just possible information.

http://www.tvshowupdate.com/dr-oz-copper-anti-aging-benefits-serum-moisturizer-peptides/

lisa32989
03-22-2014, 08:42 AM
I was up early again. Stupid night sweats! I was doing okay til TOQ arrived (quarterly now - or less - instead of monthly)
Then they started again
Definitely time to get hormones and adrenals checked

goldilocksinct
03-23-2014, 09:20 AM
Sorry about the night sweats. :( I am lucky to not have had much on that score.

I had a wonderful shopping day yesterday with coupons and clearance at Macy's and one other store. All of my clothes these days are Medium (10-12) and I am actually looking forward to warmer weather. I even bought a new bathing suit. :)

I have been hovering for a while--losing a little, but feel stuck. I think I really need a change, and discussed with my coach. I started Phase 2 yesterday and will be phasing off and giving myself a break to see if I can lose the rest of this. Wish me luck!

lisa32989
03-23-2014, 02:55 PM
I have been hovering for a while--losing a little, but feel stuck. I think I really need a change, and discussed with my coach. I started Phase 2 yesterday and will be phasing off and giving myself a break to see if I can lose the rest of this. Wish me luck!
I did the same thing. Ended up off about 6 mo, using p1 days to help with maintenance
Plateaus are tough and some of us are susceptible.
Much luck to you

Sopra2
03-24-2014, 12:50 AM
So glad I found this thread:) I am currently down 33 lbs...but over the past 3 weeks I have been only loosing 1lb a week. My measurements are going the right way despite the scale not moving much. After reviewing my meal plan for the past 3 weeks with my coach we decided to eliminate any restricted foods for a week and see if that helps. It is a bit sad because I am also gluten free (i have Celiac Disease) and really like having a GF bar for breakfast. But...I want to be at my goal weight by my 59th birthday in June. Anyone have any other suggestions for getting un-stuck?

lisa32989
03-24-2014, 07:22 AM
Sopra2 welcome!

A plateau would be no change in weight or measurement in 4-6 weeks

What you are experiencing is a slowdown. They are normal as weight loss ebbs and flows. We've discovered the more we worry about it, the worse it gets because stress increases cortisol , which blocks weight loss.

Stay the course and a whoosh will happen on the scale.
Anatomy-wise, as we lose weight (fat), the last thing our body releases is the water associated with that fat. This is when the whoosh occurs

If you graph all your weigh ins and add a tend line, the weigh ins will be jagged (not a smooth line) but they all hover right around the trend line.

Slower weeks are part of the process. I'm surprised your coach didn't tell you that. If it's working, there's nothing to fix. You've still been losing (faster than most diets). Nothing to fix.

Ruth Ann
03-24-2014, 07:43 AM
So glad I found this thread:) I am currently down 33 lbs...but over the past 3 weeks I have been only loosing 1lb a week. My measurements are going the right way despite the scale not moving much. After reviewing my meal plan for the past 3 weeks with my coach we decided to eliminate any restricted foods for a week and see if that helps. It is a bit sad because I am also gluten free (i have Celiac Disease) and really like having a GF bar for breakfast. But...I want to be at my goal weight by my 59th birthday in June. Anyone have any other suggestions for getting un-stuck?

I have to agree with Lisa up there - you are doing great! I had a point in February where I lost 2 pounds in one week and then 0 lbs & 0 inches for two weeks straight - very frustrating when I was so close to goal! Then I lost 4 lbs the next week and 3 the week after.

I have no idea why my body decided to stick at that weight for a little bit but I didn't change a thing when it did except to make sure I was getting lots of water in and measuring everything correctly. I think we just sometimes have to let our body play "catch up."

So relax, enjoy what you've lost so far and keep going. You're still losing every week and your measurements are down. Nothing wrong, nothing to fix!

Vippysue
03-25-2014, 08:03 AM

I think giving up the restricteds could help. I did that for a week and I had the best weigh-in I've had since being OP, and I'm approaching goal. Also, my coach told me to eat a head of romaine lettuce a day. Stick with it. It does and will work. :)

Tisado
04-01-2014, 10:53 AM
I am looking at my old lady arms and I will not be wearing tank tops into restaurants this summer.

What is the right ratio of fat to loose skin? That's the magic question.
I guess I should be thinking about healthy weight vs. looks.

Not sure why concerns about my looks are popping up. I couldn't have been too worried about looks when I went way over 200.

I've decided to drop another 5 or so pounds so that I'll weigh under 160 on my home scales.

I'll still be about 32% body fat so will keep doing the gym. I watch HGTV while doing elliptical or treadmill. I'm doing a 5 K Run/Walk on June 1. I'm a walker. My poor feet can't take the running.

My new login is Tisado, I was posting as ssubert

Ruth Ann
04-02-2014, 08:36 AM
I've just decided not to worry about the loose skin for the moment and work on getting some muscle strength back. I figure I'll reevaluate in a year or so and see how I feel about it.

I figure I can find spring and summer clothes that will camouflage most of it. See what happens? I lose weight and get vain!

drd1961
04-02-2014, 09:12 AM
I am not worried about lose skin. Better than the fat that was under it!

Ruth Ann
04-02-2014, 09:13 AM
I am not worried about lose skin. Better than the fat that was under it!

Amen!

schenectady
04-02-2014, 11:23 AM
I agree with both Ruth Ann and drd1961 - I am so happy not to be dealing with the fat underneath the skin that I do not really obsess. I have fun shopping for the smaller clothes and just steer myself to things I know will flatter my new body.

Mentally I try to remind myself to celebrate what I see in my body when I look in the mirror, not to focus on the negative. Yes, I know it is there but I would rather look at my flat stomach and shrinking rear end. Jeans are no longer something I dread wearing and that is great! For the first time in over 20 years, I am wearing them and having fun outfitting myself in neon green or pink vest and matching shoes - no old lady baggy clothes for me EVER again!

IPCali
04-05-2014, 03:59 AM
I agree with both Ruth Ann and drd1961 - I am so happy not to be dealing with the fat underneath the skin that I do not really obsess. I have fun shopping for the smaller clothes and just steer myself to things I know will flatter my new body.

Mentally I try to remind myself to celebrate what I see in my body when I look in the mirror, not to focus on the negative. Yes, I know it is there but I would rather look at my flat stomach and shrinking rear end. Jeans are no longer something I dread wearing and that is great! For the first time in over 20 years, I am wearing them and having fun outfitting myself in neon green or pink vest and matching shoes - no old lady baggy clothes for me EVER again!

Schenectady -

first time in over 20 years!!

That is an outstanding personal achievement!

:bravo: :flow2: :queen: :dance: :jig:

schenectady
04-06-2014, 12:46 PM
Schenectady -

first time in over 20 years!!

That is an outstanding personal achievement!

:bravo: :flow2: :queen: :dance: :jig:

Thank you for those kind words, IPCali. I wore said jeans with a great bright neon green vest and matching neon green/pink sneakers the other day. I felt wonderful! We went to visit someone who had known me nearly 100 pounds ago and has seen me several times "in the process". I walked in and she screamed "you are so beautiful!"

WOW - it has been a longtime, a reaaaalllly long time, since anyone said that to me. What motivation that provided during a long few days of challenging eating.

IPCali
04-07-2014, 01:41 AM
Thank you for those kind words, IPCali. I wore said jeans with a great bright neon green vest and matching neon green/pink sneakers the other day. I felt wonderful! We went to visit someone who had known me nearly 100 pounds ago and has seen me several times "in the process". I walked in and she screamed "you are so beautiful!"

WOW - it has been a longtime, a reaaaalllly long time, since anyone said that to me. What motivation that provided during a long few days of challenging eating.

Your story brings a smile to my face, Schenectady...

I have NOT been wearing bright colors for years... I promise

that in my post IP wardrobe that my closet will be teaming with bright colors!

:belly:

Yayalaine
04-07-2014, 11:54 AM
Here's another black wearer... part of my reasoning was that it was simpler and cheaper to have a few pairs of black pants, then only buy tops that could be worn with black. I hated to spend a lot on clothes because I would tell myself, "I'm going to lose weight, so don't spend a lot on clothes this size."

Well, I've worn mostly black for YEARS. :(

So, I look forward to one day choosing things in pretty colors and buying quality items that will last because I plan to stay at that size. :carrot:

Rubygirl
04-07-2014, 12:46 PM
Here's another black wearer... part of my reasoning was that it was simpler and cheaper to have a few pairs of black pants, then only buy tops that could be worn with black. I hated to spend a lot on clothes because I would tell myself, "I'm going to lose weight, so don't spend a lot on clothes this size."

Well, I've worn mostly black for YEARS. :(

So, I look forward to one day choosing things in pretty colors and buying quality items that will last because I plan to stay at that size. :carrot:

I hear you about "not buying in this size" I have done this for years now.....as a result I have a very pathetic wardrobe. I was a nurse for 35 yrs so didn't have to buy dress clothes for work. I always say to myself "don't buy that because you are going to lose the weight and then you can get new clothes" I bought the Beck Diet Book and am hoping I can rehabilitate my inner voice.

lisa32989
04-07-2014, 04:26 PM
Schenectady:
I, too, have bought clothes I never used to wear. I wear much more color now and the items I've purchased for summer are even brighter! I took advanage of a great Coldwater Creek sale a few weeks ago. But prior to that, I spent a lot of time at resale shops. It is AMAZING the deals I found!

Congrats on going out-of-the-box

Tisado
04-07-2014, 05:59 PM
I've been wearing blue jeans my whole adult life so have a lot of ladies t-shirts to go with them. I'm lucky enough to be able to wear jeans to work.
When I was heavier, I almost always wore a big shirt or something over them. Now I'm wearing the t-shirt. (Unless that darn AC is drafty.)

Yeah, black slacks have been the go-to for something other than jeans. My next slacks are going to be something besides black. I'm not ready for lime green just yet but I should be able to handle a nice blue.

Got2benow
04-07-2014, 07:11 PM
Hello all!

I am spending my last 6 months in my fifties and I would love to drop 30 lbs before I see 60! So with that said, I just made an appointment with an IP clinic for tomorrow. I would love to do alternatives but I am just not that knowledgeable about the dos and don'ts. I am also a person that gives up easily. I beat myself up, I feel like its hopeless and truthfully giving up food takes away a lot of my joy! That is horrible to admit! :(. I love to bake and people are always requesting one of my concoctions. When I bake, I EAT! :devil:

Yayalaine
04-07-2014, 11:12 PM
Hello all!

I am spending my last 6 months in my fifties and I would love to drop 30 lbs before I see 60! So with that said, I just made an appointment with an IP clinic for tomorrow. I would love to do alternatives but I am just not that knowledgeable about the dos and don'ts. I am also a person that gives up easily. I beat myself up, I feel like its hopeless and truthfully giving up food takes away a lot of my joy! That is horrible to admit! :(. I love to bake and people are always requesting one of my concoctions. When I bake, I EAT! :devil:

Oh, I am a baker, too! I love to take homemade cookies, cakes, cheesecakes, pies, etc. to work and put in the office for people to snack on. I get requests all the time.... But, I have not baked anything since I started this program. I just can't right now... don't trust myself, am afraid it will get me craving things I can't have.

Tisado
04-07-2014, 11:55 PM
Oh, I am a baker, too! I love to take homemade cookies, cakes, cheesecakes, pies, etc. to work and put in the office for people to snack on. I get requests all the time.... But, I have not baked anything since I started this program. I just can't right now... don't trust myself, am afraid it will get me craving things I can't have.

I can resist packages of cookies that my DH has stashed somewhere (don't want to know where) but making cookies from scratch would really set me back. Let them buy their cakes or make their own. :dizzy:

IPCali
04-08-2014, 02:50 AM
Hello all!

Welcome aboard, Got2benow,

I always gave up easily on diets...

it's so much easier for me to stick with IP due to the quick results.

I think many of us on the board, including me, used to get a lot of our 'joy' :devil: from food.

But now there is waaaaaaaaaaaay more joy in the results... :carrot:

You can do this!

Got2benow
04-08-2014, 11:06 AM

So glad to know I am not alone! And yes, I cannot be trusted if something hot comes out of the oven! ;)

Got2benow
04-08-2014, 11:07 AM
I can resist packages of cookies that my DH has stashed somewhere (don't want to know where) but making cookies from scratch would really set me back. Let them buy their cakes or make their own. :dizzy:

Good advise, I may lose a few friends but I may find out who the real ones are! Lol. :D

Got2benow
04-08-2014, 11:12 AM
Welcome aboard, Got2benow,

I always gave up easily on diets...

it's so much easier for me to stick with IP due to the quick results.

I think many of us on the board, including me, used to get a lot of our 'joy' :devil: from food.

But now there is waaaaaaaaaaaay more joy in the results... :carrot:

You can do this!

Thank you so much for your encouragement! I look forward to a day that I can control my food and not the other way around! :devil: I can see already that this board is going to be a tremendous help to me! ;);)

emmy55
04-08-2014, 09:06 PM
Got2benow I am in Louisiana also. Started IP March 24th. I know someone doing alternative but like you I decided to do the real thing. How was your appointment yesterday? First week is hardest- just eat your lettuce and vegetables and drink your water and it wont be unbearable. Don't give up.

Got2benow
04-09-2014, 09:57 AM
Got2benow I am in Louisiana also. Started IP March 24th. I know someone doing alternative but like you I decided to do the real thing. How was your appointment yesterday? First week is hardest- just eat your lettuce and vegetables and drink your water and it wont be unbearable. Don't give up.

After spending a great deal of time on this board, I called and cancelled! I had already signed up with an IP Clinic once before and received no coaching. They would let me shop and spend money for food and supplements and out the door!

So, I am giving this a try on my own and with the help and knowledge of those that have already walked in my shoes. :)

I do think going to a clinic with good coaches would be a great benefit and I wis you great luck! :carrot:

We are all fighting the same battle!

Have a great day!!

lisa32989
04-09-2014, 09:07 PM
On a podcast I heard today, the person said this:

Yummy food is Cheap, easy, convenient and destroys our health

Time to redefine yummy!

Bellamack
04-09-2014, 09:32 PM
After spending a great deal of time on this board, I called and cancelled! I had already signed up with an IP Clinic once before and received no coaching. They would let me shop and spend money for food and supplements and out the door!

So, I am giving this a try on my own and with the help and knowledge of those that have already walked in my shoes. :)

I do think going to a clinic with good coaches would be a great benefit and I wis you great luck! :carrot:

We are all fighting the same battle!

Have a great day!!

We've got your back, come here for your coaching, you will do great and have all that extra money to buy new clothes

emmy55
04-14-2014, 11:28 AM
Morning all -
Checking in with Gottobenow how the diet is going for her.
Like yall talked about I went in my closet - black dress pants and even black jeans.
Weigh in for three weeks tomorrow but my scale at home has been stuck - up a little down a little - and back to where I was last week. I know I should quit weighing everyday but it was fun the first two weeks seeing it move. I also like my scale as it shows percentage of body fat also.
It's been quiet on this board - hope everyone has a good Monday.

schenectady
04-14-2014, 11:40 AM
Morning all -
Checking in with Gottobenow how the diet is going for her.
Like yall talked about I went in my closet - black dress pants and even black jeans.
Weigh in for three weeks tomorrow but my scale at home has been stuck - up a little down a little - and back to where I was last week. I know I should quit weighing everyday but it was fun the first two weeks seeing it move. I also like my scale as it shows percentage of body fat also.
It's been quiet on this board - hope everyone has a good Monday.

I laugh when I read this because I just finished posting on the Daily Chat what I am going to do with the black pants and all - bonfire! Never ever want to hide behind them again.

Even though I am hitting the big 60 this month, I want to dress like I feel inside. I do not feel 60 and I di not think I look like it either (thanks IP) and so I intend to celebrate all that with fun and beautiful colors.

goldilocksinct
04-14-2014, 06:44 PM
I have white jeans in size 10 waiting to be worn. I love them. Who would have thought the Lady in Black would be anxious to wear them? :lol:

LakeLover
04-14-2014, 08:27 PM
Hi fellow 50+-ers! I'll be 56 in a few weeks, and have just started IP. I think I'll continue with my coach and paying for IP for about another month, then I'm going to try alternative products. I do like my coach, but I'm doing very well and find that the constant weight loss is the best coach of all. Glad to be among you :)

canadjineh
04-14-2014, 08:37 PM
I have white jeans in size 10 waiting to be worn. I love them. Who would have thought the Lady in Black would be anxious to wear them? :lol:

LOL, I haven't worn white jeans for ages, every time I did, I sat in something nasty on a bench somewhere, had a muddy dog jump up at me, or dropped mustard on my thigh, or got my period one day early with a vengeance. I do wear bright turquoise ones though!

Congrats on your non-black pants, all!!
Liana

calypso58
04-14-2014, 11:01 PM
Hi fellow 50+-ers! I'll be 56 in a few weeks, and have just started IP. I think I'll continue with my coach and paying for IP for about another month, then I'm going to try alternative products. I do like my coach, but I'm doing very well and find that the constant weight loss is the best coach of all. Glad to be among you :)

Welcome LakeLover! I just turned 56 and am amazed at the progress I've made on IP. I have thought about using alternatives but I find going to weigh in each week keeps me in line :angel:

Good luck and keep me posted on how your switch to alternatives goes!

deelee10
04-15-2014, 09:05 PM
Hi Everyone!

Really need to reboot. You know how life can intrude on our best intentions? Today is my first day back OP and it is hard. As I've stated elsewhere, I am a carb ADDICT and have some favorite substances that I've been binging on in massive quantities. My empty nest is the toughest thing followed by my 2 DP with Alzheimers. My husband can make me a little crazy too...I have a BIG BIRTHDAY in June. SSS, sss, 60. I can't sssay it yet. I don't want to say it. I WANT TO STAY IN MY LATE FIFTIES!!! So I'm going to be the "Plus" in the Fifty Plus. HOW THE HECK DID THIS HAPPEN?! Yes, I know it beats the alternative but I'm not used to it yet. My picture is from September 8, 2011, our 27th anniversary. I'm not very tech savvy but when I figure it out I will post a picture from my DS's wedding in September. And I have to get serious if I'm going to look decent for my 30th anniversary and that other thing...that birthday thing. Please help. I need to lose 20 lbs to get to my lowest IP weight which I would love to do. I look forward to getting to know you youngsters.

deelee10
04-15-2014, 09:29 PM
Hello all!

Hey there Got2benow!!! I'm reading some of the earlier posts! I hear ya. Remember how we used to say that in the 70s? I do think 1954 was a very good year.

3sisters
04-15-2014, 09:40 PM
SSS, sss, 60. I can't sssay it yet. I don't want to say it. I WANT TO STAY IN MY LATE FIFTIES!!!

Ha Ha, I know how you feel! I just hit the big 6-0 last week, and that's just what I told my sister...... I really don't FEEL any older, and it's not that I HATE being 60, it is just that I now have to SAY it! I can no longer say I'm "Fifty......anything!" I have to get that "sssssssixty" word out! :)

But one thing turning 60 did though, was make me take a long look at myself and realize I'm not getting any younger, and I want to not only be healthy, but darn it, I want to look good too! I've been divorced for 11 years now (after 30 years of marriage) and I would love to find that soulmate I know is out there waiting for me! But I also know I will never be ready to put myself out there unless I am more comfortable with myself, and that means shedding my armor.....all these extra pounds!

So, IP, here I am! And I plan on succeeding!

IlliniFan
04-15-2014, 11:55 PM
And I don't know how on earth I suddenly became 63. Just started IP on 4/10. Question for you all. How did you pick your goal weight? not a kid anymore and want to choose a realistic weight to maintain. Thanks for help!

calypso58
04-16-2014, 12:09 AM
And I don't know how on earth I suddenly became 63. Just started IP on 4/10. Question for you all. How did you pick your goal weight? not a kid anymore and want to choose a realistic weight to maintain. Thanks for help!

Hi IlliniFan,
I chose my goal weight based on what the IP scale said would put me at 25% fat. That was 145 at the time and where I was last time I lost weight. I dropped it to 135 and may drop it again as I get closer to that goal. Of course now the scale says 25% will be 130 pounds. We'll see.

Good luck!
Nancy

lisa32989
04-16-2014, 07:24 AM

Dukan diet online had a fabulous realistic calculator for young-at-heart women. It takes many life events into account.

schenectady
04-16-2014, 10:17 AM
I love reading all the posts in here, particularly those from the 1954 babies. I hit that 60 mark in two weeks and I thought it did not bother me. I have lost nearly 100 pounds (two pounds away) and feel great. Almost where I wanted to be. I feel young, I am healthier than I have been for a while and happily married for nearly 25 years.

But as 3sisters said, the sound of that ssssss instead of fffff is killing me and I know it should not. I guess at 50 something, I had no problem not feeling my age or worrying about it. But somehow approaching 60s, it feels a bit scary. That does sound really old to me and I do not feel it.

Maybe it is something like body image weightwise - it is hard to know what we really look like truly to the outside world. I would love to say that it doesn't matter and that is not what is important, but after decades in this big 'ole body, brutally honest, it DOES matter to me.

I was not thrown when I turned 30 or 40 or even 50, maybe because my life was travelling along busy and headed for some neat places - marriage, children, child raising, getting them into college, etc. Now the youngest is in his second year of college, away from home 10 hours, sold the family home, living in interim housing while we build but retirement a few years away. Not sure where or who I am but need to figure that one out.

deelee10
04-16-2014, 02:59 PM
NIce to hear from people in the same boat. I too was so busy with life that the other big birthdays didn't bother me. When I turned 50 my husband was in the middle of chemo for a cancer which had an "average 3 year life expectancy." Ten years later he is still in remission. Thank heavens. New drugs have improved the prognosis. Thank heavens! He annoys the snot out of me but I don't want to lose him. It has been stressful though, at first month by month, now year by year, fearing that he could fall out of remission at any time.
Anyway, I made it through the night OP! Tonight is going to be tough. My son invited himself for dinner, which is a good thing but his wife will need dessert. It's like asking the alcoholic too provide the wine! But I love that they are coming over and it's worth the temptation!

When I first lost the 40 lbs. I was recovering from shoulder surgery and had cleared my social calendar for 2 months. I stayed in my room, watched lots of recorded tv, fast forwarded through the food commercials. I took a course on drug and alcohol addiction when I was in college. So I was virtually in my own little private detox I realize. I had no social life. Being in the real world with a social life makes it much harder. There are so many sweet, quietly aggressive food bullies. "Have some fruit. Fruit is good for you." "you're not going to have a drink? not even a glass of wine? You're no fun!" etc., etc., etc

Happy Birthday 3 Sisters! Oprah was born in January, 1954.

Schenectady - That's exactly what I'm figuring out - who I am. My youngest son moved to Washington D.C. after he graduated from college 3 years ago. We used to visit a lot but now he is also in grad school while working and he doesn't have time for us. My older son...long story but he got engaged in December 2012, married September 2013 to a young woman who really only needed to add a husband to her repertoire of friends and family - didn't really need any extraneous relatives like a MIL or FIL, etc. Nothing personal. Once I accepted that I will see my son, at most, once a month for a 2 hour dinner - everything is great! I made a beautiful DVD of the 2 of them from birth to engagement, with beautiful music, talking about how she is beautiful and amazing, just the way she is, that I showed at the wonderful rehearsal dinner - I'm in! I just have to keep my mouth shut for the rest of my life. So far so good. :) She works for her father in the family home and sees the rest of her family at least once a week....just sayin'...

After a day with my parents, I REALLY feel the need for a glass (sometimes 2) of wine. I've always only been a social drinker, would never drink alone before this. And never felt the NEED for a drink. It is not something I would abuse, like that substance that many of us love. But still, it's not OP. I'm hoping to not have to go to their retirement community for a week to give myself a good start.And if my husband has gone with me, (he's retired so it happens,) he needs a drink too so I'm still not drinking alone. Hmmm. Sorry I made this so long.

Wish me luck getting through tonight OP!
Good luck everyone. Hugs to you all!

Tisado
04-16-2014, 03:10 PM
Nice to hear from people in the same boat.................... Good luck everyone. Hugs to you all!

I agree, stresses on women our age are awful. There are older folks to care for plus kids and grandkids that want their share of time too.

What about me? Do I get a some time for me?

We'll make it. We will be healthier.
:hug:

deelee10
04-16-2014, 03:17 PM
I agree, stresses on women our age are awful. There are older folks to care for plus kids and grandkids that want their share of time too.

What about me? Do I get a some time for me?

We'll make it. We will be healthier.
:hug:

Very well said Tisado! Thank you.

deelee10
04-16-2014, 03:30 PM

I agree - the first week is the hardest. As a restart, the first day is the hardest for me. And because I was afraid to get on the scale yesterday cuz I knew I would see a number I hadn't seen is 3 years, I don't know if I lost any weight so today is going to be harder too. Once the weight starts coming off it is reinforcing. You will be pleased. Oh yeah, have to drink my water! Thanks for the reminder.

deelee10
04-16-2014, 03:47 PM
Schenectady - just noticed your weight loss - great job! Do you do any exercise?

deelee10
04-16-2014, 04:25 PM
Me again. I love this thread! I'm enjoying the comments on clothes. I mucst have 50 pairs of black bottoms - more if you count what I call "yoga pants." I have them in 4 different sizes, mostly jeans and a pair of slacks in each size.

Back when I was smaller I tried on some white cotton capris, not denim. I couldn't get them because my pink cellulite showed through. Very annoying. Maybe I'll be able to do white jeans - the material is thicker. I don't see my IP coach much. She is a cute tiny little thing that I like a lot but since she lets me zoom in to buy products, I just can't find the time. But I was telling her that I have to be careful when I buy the stretchy exercise pants. If they're too thin you can see my lumpy cellulite. This tiny little exercise coach (of a certain age) said she wears spanx under hers! No one ever told me! Have any of you heard of that? I have 2 pairs I can wear cuz they're thick enough. The cellulite has gotten worse as I got older, not just in the back - it's in the front too. I thought it was just me. I was kind of relieved to hear others have it too. I know people say message, message, but I have a boat load. So does my mother.

And the sleeves...those little cap sleeves that they put on women's T shirts - even the large sizes. Very few women over 40, even those with thin arms, look good in those! Chico's Tshirts have a nice short sleeve. And I will buy small men's tshirts to work out in. I don't ever see my upper arms being ready for prime time. I wear a lot of three quarter sleeve in the summer and fold the cuff.

I don't think I will ever not have black pants. I'm adding navy blue and brown. And I have beige Chico capris. the cellulite doesn't show through those. I also have olive and khaki in various sizes.

There are a few things I think were invented by men: thong under wear, very high heels and those cap sleeves!!!

schenectady
04-16-2014, 04:32 PM
Schenectady - just noticed your weight loss - great job! Do you do any exercise?

Thank you for your kind words, deelee10. I am not a great exerciser but I try. For about half the time I have been on IP (long story on that!) I went to the gym about 6 days a week and either rode a recumbent bike, used the elliptical or a treadmill for at least 1/2 hour. Not much more - just trying to be more active.

Then we moved, gym didn't work anymore so as soon as I receive the refund on that membership, I am going to check out something low key. It is more a mental victory for me than a physical one.

deelee10
04-16-2014, 05:04 PM
People that are not on IP don't understand that exercise does not cause weight loss. It's good for you but not what's to blame for weight gain. My DH is ver active and for the first time in his life, extra exercise isn't enough to lose the extra 10ish lbs. I said, "Welcome to my world!"

Lisa, good job to you too!

Ruth Ann
04-16-2014, 06:09 PM
I've just started exercising (other than gentle walks on my treadmill to keep my lower back from tightening up too much). Started with physical therapy because I basically had no muscle tone at all (I went through 3 lower back surgeries just before starting IP). I'm still not doing a lot, but it feels good to get moving and so much easier without an extra 100+ pounds to move around.

deelee10 - I love your list of thing invented by men! But I'm going to add "eyebrow threading" to the list! OMG - that's worse than waxing!

Mad Donnelly
04-16-2014, 06:41 PM
I want to be comfortable. I don't want to wear spanx under my yoga pants. I could give a crap if the girls .. or guys .. at the gym see me less than "perfect".

Tisado
04-16-2014, 07:25 PM
I want to be comfortable. I don't want to wear spanx under my yoga pants. I could give a crap if the girls .. or guys .. at the gym see me less than "perfect".

Totally agree. I wear baggy shorts and men's T-shirt to work out.
Thank goodness my gym has lots of people our age that dress for comfort.

And yeah, there are the hot chicks in spandex. But there are also some young studs in tight shorts and tank tops.
Be still my heart.
:wl: :wl: :wl:

deelee10
04-24-2014, 09:52 PM
Hi-

I was doing ok then started having a crap week. So I went to emotional eating, the really bad stuff. I was good yesterday. Very difficult and having a very hard time now. Trying to white knuckle it. Wish I could just go to sleep. ZZzzzz. How is everyone else doing?