Diabetes Support - October Chat

View Full Version : October Chat

love2b150
10-02-2013, 12:05 PM
Hope to see you all here soon!

love2b150
10-02-2013, 12:15 PM
Hi everyone: I have been able to stick to plan. On Saturday I worked really hard to stick to it, which was incredibly hard.
In addition to having a couple of cookies on Friday night, we had a very stressful and difficult day at work. None the less I am still on plan, and doing ok.
Right now though, I have a really nasty cold. I can't get cough syrup with codeine that is sugar free. I did get some nice sugar free cough drops. I also think cold tablets affect my sugars. I am not taking any today and am taking a sick day, but the cough is bad, and I will need something tonight. I am not sleeping well because of the cough.
And of course, being sick is affecting my exercise. I plan to do some gentle warm yoga here at home later today.
I am hoping to be below 180 for good after the weekend, or sooner.

Madeleine, glad to hear you are sticking to plan :yay: I do hope your cold gets better. I agree that regular cough syrup and drops affect our bs. I'm so glad that Halls makes a sugar free cough drops. I wish tussin would make a tussin CF for diabetics it would work so much better :) :crossed: to get below the 180's soon :)

Wannabehealthy
10-02-2013, 02:19 PM
Hi. I have been having computer problems. I could get online, but it was such a horrible experience I avoided it. I think I finally got the problem straightened out. No problems all day today.

Sounds like everyone here is doing well, except for Mad and her cold. Hope you feel better soon. I usually don't take any cough or cold meds because of my sugar, and also my BP. I do use Halls SF cough drops, though. The only thing I take that is not prescribed by my doctor is Tylenol, occasionally. I don't want anything to interfere with my meds.

Nothing has changed for me, unfortunately, but I'm still not giving up, just smacking myself in the head every once in a while!

Carry on!

love2b150
10-02-2013, 04:53 PM
Carol Sue, good to hear you're doing well. :) I need to smack myself periodically ... maybe I could knock some constant sensible eating into play :D

I had to go to urgent care yesterday due to really bad back spasms. Had me moaning out in pain. I had this problem before but wasn't diagnosed as a diabetic back then. So far the medicine I'm taking for my back hasn't affected my bs readings at all thank goodness. I'm better today than yesterday. Praying for better better :)

Oh I got a new meter, the Bayer Contour Next USB. Walmart had it for $20 and the test strips I found online 100 for $29. My old meter which I will still use until the end of this months when my test strips expire (it's $80 for the test strips out of pocket) so I had to go a new route in order to keep testing. I also bought an A1c test kit. Have any of you used one before? I haven't used it yet but I will soon. It's made by Reli On.

Well hope all is well as can be with you all :hug:

Ruthxxx
10-03-2013, 09:58 AM
Good morning. Still struggling to heal from the cracked ribs. Did get bloodwork done last week and HA1c is up a tad but still in the controlled diabetic range at .061, I really want to see it back in the .05s next time. My cholesterol is fine though.

Certainly is difficult dealing with cracked ribs. I can finally get a good night of sleep though which makes the days less dozy. Food is a tad "carby' though - friends are bringing me things like bean and pea soups plus pasta casseroles. :shrug: One friend brought me a zucchini loaf that she said would be OK since there was no sugar. (It was sweetened with honey!)

I'm hoping to be able to do a bank run later today. Getting in and out of the car is difficult but I just need to get back into a normal routine. I'm missing MOD meetup this weekend and am feeling a bit sad about that.

This morning I will make some chicken and veggie soup which should perk me up. Weight has been pretty much on hold and I need to get it moving downward again.

Be well.

love2b150
10-03-2013, 11:45 AM
Ruth I must have missed something. I didn't know you had cracked your ribs. I'm sorry to hear that. My spasms which are getting better are nothing compared to what you are dealing with. :hug: I do have a little trouble getting in and out of a vehicle, I've found that it doesn't matter high or low. Last night I actually slept with little pain and used the bathroom today for the first time without it taking forever to wipe, LOL. Who knew the things that would be difficult with back/rib issues. I pray for healing for you and me or at least more comfort until we are healed. :hug: Sorry about the carby foods but at least they are trying, maybe you could offer some suggestions without hurting their feelings, just a thought. Glad you got your bloodwork done. Hope you have a good day :)

Weight was up this morning to 188 up .6 from yesterday. fbs was 233 not good I know.

pattygirl63
10-03-2013, 02:00 PM
Ruthie Glad you finally got your blood work done. So sorry about the cracked rib. I pray you have a quick recovery. You are a busy lady so I know this has to be difficult for you.

Rennie Sorry about the back spasms. I have back aches a lot especially in the evening. For me, I know a lot of my problems would go away if I could get just 25 to 30 lbs off. Still working on that one.

Carol Sue So glad you got the computer working again. I am having a problem with mine because I've some how gotten a certificate that will not let me sign in to my MSN and Hotmail account on my laptop. I can't seem to figure out how to fix it. So I've had to change my homepage to yahoo. Some times I just hate these modern technology, but then I also appreciate a lot of it as well.

Fatmad It is good to see you posting again and glad you've been able to get back OP. Keep checking in.

Bonnie Hope your knee is doing better and you are okay.

I ended September with a gain, but it is coming back down and my fbs is lower again, but still not where it needs to be. I have been seeing some good lows for me so I will keep trucking.

Busy afternoon so I won't linger. DH has a blood draw to check thickness of blood and then we will go out to eat. Sam's has finally opened a store in our town and we are going to go walk around there and see what we can purchase there that we used to travel to Charlotte to get at Costco. Will be nice to have them here. We always make doctor visit days our days to get out for a while. So I'll try to get back here again soon.

love2b150
10-04-2013, 10:45 AM
thanks Trish, :) I know it would help if I could get this weight off also. Glad you'll have less travel time with the new store opening, saving gas is a big plus to me :)

My weight stayed the same 188, fbs 227. I bought a new meter which I think I mentioned but haven't got any feedback yet. The new meter shows lower numbers and I am wondering if it is because the strips I have left for the old meter expire the end of this month. I went on the website from the urgent care that I went to and pulled a lot of great information on how to eat better and balance the carbs out correctly. I'm doing one of the meal plans today and prayerfully I will see a difference. I really need something that will convert the carbs for me. I'm trying to get in to see a nutritionist to get some help. I found one close but it's a bit pricey so I will definitely keep looking. Back to work today, walked with my daughter to the bus stop this morning, doing ok not as well as I'd like, son has plans for tomorrow that will be more walking. Praying for strength and endurance.

I hope you all have a great day :hug:

pattygirl63
10-04-2013, 12:28 PM
I went on the website from the urgent care that I went to and pulled a lot of great information on how to eat better and balance the carbs out correctly. I'm doing one of the meal plans today and prayerfully I will see a difference. I really need something that will convert the carbs for me. I'm
trying to get in to see a nutritionist to get some help. I found one.

Rennie Could you send me the website you went to either on the thread or PM. I personally believe that balancing the carbs are important for nutrition especially for me. I would like to see what the site has to say about it. Thanks.

love2b150
10-04-2013, 12:55 PM
Trish it's a link through the Duke Medicine portal, I had to enter my medical number from the urgent care. I typed diabetes into their search engine and it has 585 matching files. I don't know that you will be able to access it but I PM'd you what was in the browser.

I could maybe email what I found interesting if you want to PM me your email address, it is 19 pages long. There is a ton of information there and it's the closes I've come to answering the questions I wanted answered regarding carbs until I can get to a nutritionist.

fatmad
10-04-2013, 10:47 PM
happy October friends. next weekend will be our Thanksgiving, and I am planning for hosting with some nice anticipations.
I will make a pie for others, but will make other desserts for me. Haven't decided yet on pumpkin pudding or pumpkin cheesecake, and always an apple something.
I have been sticking to plan and the scale is moving, so I have moved my ticker. I am slightly constipated, but got some insoluable fibre in there today, hope that will help.
Bad combo of very busy work life with lost sleep and one co-worker who is being a knob. Sigh, :?: I guess it just has to be that way.
Cold and cough much better, DH also has it and we slept in separate beds for a bit so maximize sleep, but we are doing well enough to be able to snuggle up to sleep again.

Rennie: every metre will read a bit differently, so lower numbers doesn't mean your own numbers have dropped, but that the metre reads lower. It may be more accurate as well. Take it with you if you get blood work done and do comparisons for a while.
Have been reading a lot of medical research about type 2: the research doesn't support doing testing much if at all. However, the research also doesn't talk about people changing eating habits based on the testing. I really rarely eat bread and rarely have spikes now due to changes based on testing when first diagnosed. There is no way that this is not better for me overall.
I don't test too often these days, I am eating well generally, I know what makes my sugars spike, and I take my meds and they are working well for me. So I test 4 times a week at most now. (2 fasting and two at other times, like 2 hours after a meal, or to check on a different food. )
For the rest of us, what is your goal in testing? how often do you test now?
Is it helpful in changing behaviours for you?

Ruth: hope you feel better soon. Taping doesn't help heal, but does help movement if you are having trouble. Ouch.
Helloes to my other friends, keep in touch

Wannabehealthy
10-05-2013, 11:49 AM
Mad - I have also heard that testing is not really recommended for Type2, mainly because there's not much we can do to lower a high reading, like Type1s inject insulin. My doctor explained that this is why insurance won't pay for very many strips. I think it's important to test throughout the day if you are not in control because it will tell you what spikes and what doesn't. Right now I am so out of control that I rarely test.

Rennie - When I was diagnosed they gave me a Bayer meter because that was the latest thing out. The strips were too expensive for me so I switched to One Touch. Now, with Medicare, I am having a problem finding the strips. They keep changing where I'm supposed to order from, so I gave up. I have a wavesense meter from Target and have used it for the past couple years. I recently saw that the strips for the WalMart Relion meter are so much cheaper than the ones at Target so when I run out of strips I will buy a Relion Meter. I have never used an at-home A1c test. How do they work? Do they give you results right then and there?

Trish - I will warn your to be careful about Yahoo. I belong to a forum on Yahoo and many people have a lot of issues with viruses through Yahoo. So bad that I haven't even posted on the forum for about a year and have discontinued emails from the forum. I didn't have problems, but I am afraid to take the chance because I am not good at fixing things. I have my computer working well and I think I know what the problem is. I use Firefox and my husband still uses Internet Explorer. After he has been on here, I have been finding Malware that is getting through somehow. I don't know if it's because of IE or from the websites he visits. He says the malware is my fault, but he doesn't know any more than I do, and I only find the malware after he has been on the PC. So I am assuming..... It still doesn't make sense to me that my virus protection would work for Firefox but not for IE. But I am a novice when it comes to technical issues.

Ruth - Good for you for getting your bloodwork done. See, it wasn't as bad as you expected! I hope your ribs heal quickly, and also Rennie's back.

Wannabehealthy
10-05-2013, 12:03 PM
I have decided that the first thing I'm going to do every morning is look at the size of my belly in my full length mirror. LOL I record my stats on FitDay and before my surgery my abdomen measured 39.5 inches. After my surgery I gained 10 lbs and my abdomen measured 42 inches. Now I have gained another 5 lbs and now it's 45 inches. I have not gained any inches anywhere else. I know that a big part of the problem is that any muscle tone I had is gone since they cut through my abdominal muscle, twice. Any more and I'm going to have trouble standing erect. LOL If I look at that belly every time I want to eat something it might change my eating habits. It cannot all be blamed on the surgery. I remember years ago my waist measured 27 and I was trying to get it down to 25. Where did I go wrong?

fatmad
10-05-2013, 02:09 PM
Where did any of us go wrong Carol Sue? for me it was lack of exercise, eating to stay away, and a real addiction to baked goods. Also, unfortunately, in my youth, I could get away with it all and over eat and not gain weight, so I had terrible eating habits, that I have failed to change over time.
Have managed to stay on target this week.
I do think I am getting shingles though. I had them about 25 years ago on my left hip. I have this irritation a bit lower down, where the thigh meets the butt on that side, and it reminds me of that. No rash yet, and the doc says I don't get the meds until the rash comes out. Using my Livrelief nerve pain cream, slightly effective. Would prefer it not to be shingles though......

Wannabehealthy
10-05-2013, 04:48 PM
I had shingles around 6 years ago. I was in so much pain over Thanksgiving but I would not go to the hosp because I was hosting the holiday dinner. I went to the ER the next day because of the intense pain and the rash came out while I was sitting in the waiting room. I got a burning sensation on my belly and up popped three little blisters. My daughter had it in high school. In the couple months before I got it there were about 5 people at work who had it. After I had it my son got it and not long after that my son-in-law got it. I am afraid to get the shot for fear it will trigger it. I hope you don't have it, but I also hope whatever you have is not serious and goes away quickly.

I started gaining weight around 20 years of age, when I went out into the work world and started eating lunch in restaurants and doing more socializing with friends. Overweight runs in my family. I kept my weight around 130 until I got married at 35 years old but it was a constant battle. I started cooking for instant family...my 2 step children moved in with us, and I let my eating get out of control, plus I quit exercising. I could shoot myself for letting that happen. I can't blame it on anyone but myself. But enough blame. Just get back in control asap.

fatmad
10-06-2013, 09:45 PM
I just lost part of my post again, I don't know what I do for that to happen. Dang.
I was under 180 for the first time in a while this am, but after today's meals, I may not see that again for a bit. Lots of calories today, so will be working my way away from cravings again tomorrow I am sure.
DId have a little walk today, not enough, but any is better than none.

pattygirl63
10-07-2013, 01:59 PM
I've never posted an article before, but I think I have all the info with it to make it an acceptable post. It is also on this doctor's FB page so it is for public. I like certain nuts and walnuts are not one of them, but I just may have to change that. Have a great day.

This Nut May Prevent Diabetes & Heart Disease
Posted on October 6, 2013

Medical researchers from the Yale-Griffin Prevention Research Center in Connecticut have found evidence suggesting that adding walnuts to one's diet can protect against diabetes and heart disease in at-risk individuals.

For the study, a sample of 46 adults aged 30-75 were selected. Participants were all overweight and had excess abdominal fat. They had a Body Mass Index larger than 25, and a waist circumference exceeding 40 inches for men and 35 inches for women. All exhibited at least one of the following precursors of diabetes and heart disease. They either had high blood pressure, some level of insulin resistance, high triglyceride levels or high cholesterol. The group was randomly assigned to either a walnut enriched diet or a diet without walnuts. Those chosen for the walnut diet were instructed to consume 56 grams of shelled, unroasted English walnuts per day as a snack or with a meal. The study continued for 8 weeks.Walnuts3

"We know that improving diets tends to be hard, but adding a single food is easy," explained Dr. David Katz, Director of the Yale-Griffin Prevention Research Center and lead author of the research team. "Our theory is that if a highly nutritious, satiating food like walnuts is added to the diet, there are dual benefits: the benefits of that nutrient rich addition and removal of the less nutritious foods."

Encouraging Results

At various times during the 8 week period, participants underwent endothelial function testing. In other words, arterial flow velocity and artery diameters were analyzed to measure the overall ability of the arteries to constrict and expand with each heart beat. Endothelial function is increasingly being viewed as a prognostic marker of susceptibility to future cardiac events and the development of type 2 diabetes.

The research found that daily intake of 56 grams of walnuts improves endothelial function in overweight adults with excess abdominal fat. Furthermore, the addition of walnuts to the diet did not lead to further weight gain. "The primary outcome measure was the change in flow-mediated vasodilatation (FMD) of the brachial artery," wrote the research group. "FMD improved significantly from baseline when subjects consumed a walnut-enriched diet as compared with the control diet. Beneficial trends in systolic blood pressure reduction were seen, and maintenance of the baseline anthropometric values was also observed."

These results are in sync with other studies indicating that nuts can favorably alter levels of oxidative stress, inflammation and cholesterol, while also improving glucose metabolism and overall vascular functioning. Walnuts are a uniquely rich source of a-linolenic acid (ALA), and epidemiological studies suggest that plant derived ALA may confer particular cardiovascular benefits. A meta analysis investigating the impact of walnut consumption on blood lipids showed that walnut enriched diets significantly decreased total cholesterol as well as LDL cholesterol. Furthermore, walnuts are also rich in tocopherol, phenolic antioxidants, folic acid and magnesium - nutrients that have been shown to improve cardiovascular health.

This entry was posted in Health Tips by Dr. Don Colbert. ← Previous

lotsakids
10-07-2013, 02:15 PM
oh man, walnuts give me canker sores. Oh well...

Wannabehealthy
10-07-2013, 04:38 PM
Trish, I buy bags of shelled walnuts for baking and I was eating them daily until I ran out recently. I will be looking for them on sale again now that it's coming up on time to start baking for Christmas. I ate them, maybe 6 or 7 daily for a long time. I never did understand grams and don't know what 56 grams equals. I can't say I noticed any change in my BS, BP or weight while I was eating them, but I did it because they are really said to be so good for you. I guess it's worth a try. Can't hurt. My husband gets mad at me when I eat them because even though my diverticulitis is gone since my surgery, I am succeptible to get it again. Nuts are very bad for that.

pattygirl63
10-07-2013, 04:55 PM
Although they say walnuts, I'm wondering about some of the nut flours that some people are using in place of regular flour such as almond flour. I know that almonds (also not a favorite nut to much on) is supposed to be so good for you. I used to drink almond milk because a lot of people who low carb or eat whole foods use it in place of milk. I might have to re-think that one again.

Ruthxxx
10-07-2013, 06:40 PM
56 grams is 366 calories and 37 grams of fat. That's a lot IMHO.

I'm still trying to recuperate but and still having a lot of pain. Too many carbs were in my diet last week and it has shown. Today my navy pants are a tad snug but I refuse to dig out my old size 16s and 18s!

pattygirl63
10-07-2013, 09:41 PM
That is a lot of calories and fat in 56 grams. However, I do remember one of the things I liked about South Beach Diet was that I could eat nuts. I can see why they are recommended on some diets now.

Wannabehealthy
10-08-2013, 12:16 AM
56 grams is 366 calories and 37 grams of fat. That's a lot IMHO.

I'm still trying to recuperate but and still having a lot of pain. Too many carbs were in my diet last week and it has shown. Today my navy pants are a tad snug but I refuse to dig out my old size 16s and 18s!

About how many walnuts would that be? If someone was counting calories that would be a lot for a small amount of walnuts. But the fat is good fat, the kind we need, like the fat in salmon. On another diabetes board I go to they really push fat. The reason is that (they say) fat is not converted to glucose, and if you eat fat with other foods that ARE converted to glucose, not as much of it will be converted. I don't know if I am explaining this correctly. Part of the reason why I don't go to that site very often is that I don't understand a lot of what they are talking about.

fatmad
10-08-2013, 10:08 AM
Carol Sue: that is part of the theory of the atkins diet. Not what most people think, the atkins diet should be high fat, low carb, but not high protein. The amount of protein should be the same or slightly more than usual, (1 serving per meal) but the fat should be high, much more than usual. The carbs should come from veggies, not starches, when possible. You really need the fat to give a feeling of fullness.
Fat has NO effect on blood sugar, but we don't always metabolize it well.
As well, think of some fat/carb combos that are not so great, like pastry. High fat, high carb is not a good combo. Nor is bread and butter.
When we increase fat, be careful to decrease carbs accordingly, and given that fat has twice the calories of carbs (a gram of fat has 9 cals, and a gram of carbs has 5) you have to cut the carbs a lot when you increase fat.
That said, it IS doable.
I have been sticking to higher fat foods, but careful portioning this time around and it is working for me. I am not sure why I have been able to stick it out this time, but the addiction theory is in my mind.
Last night, I hosted a work meeting here at home. I served homemade carrot soup, and cheese, and for the others, bread and butter. I didn't eat the bread. I did send the leftover bread home with my colleagues, to remove temptation, (though there is some bread here for DH). I simply didn't touch the bread, and stated that I can't eat bread anymore. No arguments or problems.
SO now my only problem is p**ping. Not enough. Tried the clear lax, no results, think I will try again today. argh, that part is NOT so good. All these veggies have fibre, why isn't it working?

Wannabehealthy
10-08-2013, 12:04 PM
The thing with Atkins is that they allow sat fat, at least they did years ago when I first read the book. Since I have a really bad hiatal hernia, I have to be careful with fat. The people on this other site I go on are very strict about their diet. They promote Low Carb High Fat. They all have perfect blood sugar readings. But reading the foods they eat, I can't eat that way...or should I say I won't. If I was alone maybe I would do it, but I am not going to buy completely different food for myself and my husband.

They agree that you shouldn't eat a lot of protein, because if your body does not use the protein it is converted to glucose. Fat will never be converted to glucose.

If you want to check out this forum it is http://www.diabetesforum.com/
I think you can go in and read without registering, you just can't post.

Last night I made chicken, veggies and potatoes. The potatoes are for DH, but I ended up eating some of them. I do the same with bread. As soon as I eat it I wish I hadn't. I need to find a way to change this. I did it before and that lasted about 10 years, but for some reason I can't get through 1 day without screwing up. As soon as I eat bread, I want more bread. I cannot eat just 1 slice.

After I had my bowel surgery my surgeon told me to eat slowly and chew my food thoroughly. He also put me on a stool softener, and that helped tremendously. Since my bowel was still healing it was imperative that I didn't get constipated. I used Colace, buying the generic over the counter. I still have some and I take it if I know I haven't eaten enough fiber that day. Maybe this would help you.

pattygirl63
10-08-2013, 06:58 PM
Carol Sue Thanks for sharing the website. Good info there. I got a lot of good info from the site that Rennie shared with me too. I've developed a way for me to eat that really kind of is similar to the way the one I read about on the website you shared. Having read that and what Madeliene shared about fat, protein and carbs on Atkins, I now know why my new plan is working so well.

I took the 1500 calorie diet plan for low carb on the site I got through Rennie. It works on the plan given to DH DD when she had gestational diabetes except they had her take her total carbs and divide it evenly throughout the day. I have a calorie/carb/fat counter that says that if you low carb that you should count both calories and carbs. I know the idea of Atkins is to find the # of carbs your body can tolerate and still lose weight, but I never could stick with it long enough to find that limit. But I am happy to say that I have been able to find that limit with this plan. This 1500 calorie plan actually is the first calories plan that allows only 6 servings of carbs. Years ago when I was sent to a nutritionist, she told me to eat 12 servings a day. I would be either dead or miserably sick by now if I had listened to her. Once she told me that, I never went back to her.

Amazing, I am following the plan except that instead of just going by "generalizing" with 6 servings, I count the carb grams. I find that I seem to be able to handle up to 90 grams of carbs and lose weight. I do eat a little more fat, but I am using mostly coconut oil, olive oil and butter. Anyway, it is working. So far weight and FBS is slowly coming down.

pattygirl63
10-08-2013, 07:45 PM
Forgot to share about exercise. It has become a habit now that I am riding my recumbent stationary bike for 2 miles a day which takes me approximately 17 to 18 minutes 5 or 6 times a week.

I've been reading about Tai Chi and the benefits of it. My oldest DS used to do Tai Chi in his younger years. He has been telling me a lot of good things about it. So I started that today and plan to do it 5 or 6 days a week.

I really feel good about my own "personal" plan.

Wannabehealthy
10-08-2013, 10:55 PM
I bookmarked the site Rennie posted but haven't read it yet. I think I will have to go there and check it out.

Trish, where do you buy your coconut oil and what do you do with it? They talk about it a lot on that Diabetes Forum. It is supposed to be good.

Today I was reading a lot online about Metformin, mostly because I saw a posting that said you are supposed to take it with food. I don't always take mine with food and haven't had a problem until lately. The last time I had bloodwork done my dr upped my dose from 500 3x day to 850 3 x day. I just refilled my 500 mg and I didn't want to throw them away, so I was taking 850 2x day and 500 1 x day. I recently used up the 500 and started taking the 850 3 x day. Not only have I had some nausea, but a couple times I woke up around 2 AM with nausea. My stomach was churning and gurgling and I actually threw up. I never connected it to the Metformin, but today I read that too much Metformin can cause vomiting. I think I am going to cut back to 2 X a day and see how I feel. One night I felt nauseated but when I went into the bathroom I did not throw up. Last night, as soon as I got in bed I felt nauseated, but it went away. Unfortunately, all this nausea and vomiting has not helped with weight loss. LOL I shouldn't say a lot, because this has happened 3 times over the past couple months. It's not all the time, but before this I rarely threw up. If I feel better after cutting back to 2 pills a day then I will go back to 3, but I will make sure I take it with food.

Diabetes really sucks, ya know? LOL

Ruthxxx
10-09-2013, 09:41 AM
Just checking in. Had a reality check this morning when I tested 7.8 for FBGL. Not good since that's 140.4 US measurements. No sugar but a major pasta and garlic bread feed last night. As of this morning I am going to be weighing and testing every day AND WILL GET BACK TO REGULARLY TAKING MY MEDS! I have been coddling myself too much as I recover from this damned back and ribs thing.

Off to make an almond milk and healthy stuff smoothie.

love2b150
10-09-2013, 11:34 AM
Oh my goodness so much information I need to catch up on ...

Carol Sue I've been on the diabetesforums since I was diagnosed. A wealth of info there :) Which website did I post? I don't recall. The one I PM'd to Trish I just found out about last week through urgent care. Let me know I may need to check it out again :D

Ruth glad you're doing better, hope you heal fully soon. :hug:

my fbs this morning was 172 (not good but better) I don't know why but of course not in the 2 or 300's is great for me. I hope it goes even lower. It may have something to do with the fats I've been eating. I need to read more about what you all are talking about. I just skimmed through it. I don't like any nut except sunflower seeds, cashews and pistachios. I've been eating a lot of seeds and pistachios the last few days I wonder if that could be it.

I will definitely catch up on this wonderful informational thread. I'll say you/we don't talk much on here but when we (you all) do it is so worth the read. Thank you for being here :hug:

Wannabehealthy
10-09-2013, 11:37 AM
Just checking in. Had a reality check this morning when I tested 7.8 for FBGL. Not good since that's 140.4 US measurements. No sugar but a major pasta and garlic bread feed last night. As of this morning I am going to be weighing and testing every day AND WILL GET BACK TO REGULARLY TAKING MY MEDS! I have been coddling myself too much as I recover from this damned back and ribs thing.

Off to make an almond milk and healthy stuff smoothie.

If I ate pasta and garlic bread for dinner my FBS would be 300!!! I haven't seen 140 in months. Last night was a good night for me as I didn't eat anything after dinner. I checked and I was at 163, which is pretty good for how I've been running. But after I went to bed I couldn't fall asleep as I felt hungry and shaky, like I was having a low. I heard you could get that even if your BS isn't low if your BS drops too quickly. I came out to the kitchen and ate a very small bowl of Cheerios with milk, no sugar. It was just a couple spoonfuls. I felt so much better after that and slept well, but was 213 this morning. I think maybe I should have had a piece of cheese rather than the cereal.

Wannabehealthy
10-09-2013, 12:07 PM
What I bookmarked that I thought was Rennie's recommended website was actually something else. I see that it is not a public website. If Rennie or Trish could send me some information it would be greatly appreciated.

Right now I am starting to Read Blood Sugar 101. It looks like a lot of information but I have seen it recommended many times.

Wannabehealthy
10-09-2013, 01:14 PM
I must be the only one here today, or I am scaring everyone away with my constant yakking. LOL

I am so glad I started reading Blood Sugar 101. There was a section on false hypos, which is apparently what I had last night. It said it happens when your blood sugar goes down 20-40 points below your what your FBS normally is. Being at 163 was low for me because I didn't eat anything after dinner, so that's why it happened. I did the wrong thing by eating the cereal. The cheese would have been wrong, too. it said that because my BS was not actually low, it is not a dangerous situation, even though you feel so hungry, shaky and terrible. It said that this will happen as your BS gradually gets back to normal, and it's just uncomfortable. The thing to do is to check your BS to be sure you are not at a dangerously low level, then eat a few Smarties....you know the little candies that come in a roll. Not a whole pack, just maybe 4-6 of them. This will raise your BS about 10 points, just enough to stop the symptoms but not enough to cause a spike. The sugar in them will get absorbed in minutes without having to go through the digestion process. Actually, it said that if you wait a little while, your liver will release a little glucose and the symptoms will go away, but it's a scary feeling to have that happen and you feel as though you should do something right away. I would like to get the book Blood Sugar 101, but it is more money than I want to spend along with shipping, so since I can read it online I will be content with that for now. In the meantime, I'm going to buy some Smarties and keep a roll beside my bed in case this ever happens again.

pattygirl63
10-09-2013, 05:42 PM
Carol Sue Sorry I didn't get back to answer your question sooner. Been working on this darn pc. finally got MSN working, but still can't get on Hotmail. Finally found a Microsoft support contact email. Waiting to see what they say.

To answer your questions.

I use Louana Pure Coconut oil that I buy at Walmart. I know people recommend organic, but it is too expensive for the size jar you get and I can't and won't spend it.

I use to divide up my Metformin even added more (on my own with docs ok), but more didn't seem to do anything for me and I'm not sure it helps me at all. I take it because I understand it is supposed to prevent damage. I take only 1000 mg a day. Doc has never raised it or even discussed adding more for me. I used to break it in two and took one @ breakfast and one @ night. No change in fbs. Then one day I remembered that my doc originally told me to take it with my largest meal which we eat around 2 - 3 pm. So that is how I take mine and it seems to be working better for me.

The website that Rennie shared has articles etc that you can go in and read without joining. So I took advantage of it and I even put it in my favorites so I can go back and read more.

Well, I goofed in my counting yesterday and ended up with 97 g of carbs. That is ok because I found out that when I get my carg grams that high... I gain weight. I was up 1.4 lbs this morning. A mistake that has given me good information I needed to know. So I will work to keep my carb count between 70 & 80 grams while staying under 1500 calories each day. Great progress.

Did my Tai Chi this morning. Taking it slow, but went a little further than yesterday. I'm not running a race. I'm just aiming at getting healthy. Still have to do the stationary bike. Will do that when I get off here. I usually call my son and talk to him while I ride it. Helps stay off the boredom.

Hope everyone is having a good day.

fatmad
10-09-2013, 10:13 PM
Hi gang: Sorry its been a couple of days. Had some long days in there.
I stayed on plan really well on Monday, but fell off the wagon and ate some crackers on Tuesday. Overall too many carbs for sure, but went back to normal today.
I can't take colace, I get nasty cramps and not the desired effect at all, but will take another dose of something else tonight.
I missed a dose of metformin this am, but am otherwise on target with stuff.
The weight is fairly steady at about 180, hope to get permanently under that asap.
Ruth: you do need to get back on track, and lower your carbs again. You just can't handle all that pasta.
Rennie: it IS true, bread just makes us want more. That is the "addiction" that I have too, and abstaining completely works better for me.

I go off call tomorrow evening and am planning a yoga class afterward.

pattygirl63
10-09-2013, 11:00 PM
Fatmad The plan I read said that if you eat rice you have to count it as 3 servings of starchy carbs. I looked up pasta and it is the same the same way. On their plan it is half the starchy carbs allowed. So it just isn't low carb friendly at all. It is good to have you and Ruthie here again. Miss y'all when you aren't here.

love2b150
10-10-2013, 10:33 AM
Well I still haven't read the article and haven't fully read enough to do personals like I want so I'll have to do it later

my fbs was 223 this morning I believe that if I had not eaten dinner so late and had the pasta that I ate it would have been lower than yesterday. I honestly don't know what to do with myself. I keep saying I can't do right for the life of ME and this is MY LIFE. Why is this so hard. It's like I have absolutely no will power. I don't even know that I was actually hungry after church. I think that I just wanted my sauce because it smelled and taste so good when I made it. My son didn't make the pasta before church so I figured ok. We will just have it today then we could eat at a descent hour. Well my other son pulls out the box and says "how long does it take, huh not that long" and makes the pasta (regular) ... I looked and said it's not that much but after I fixed everyone's plate there was enough for greedy me. So I ate propbably 1.5 cups. Got up to a .2 gain and a tummy ache. Will I ever learn?????

All I can do is pray for a better day today

I hope you all have a great day ... and please keep posting your findings of great tips and advice. I am gonna have my own reference book soon :D

Wannabehealthy
10-10-2013, 06:33 PM
Rennie, you and I are the same way. We know what we are supposed to do, but we just don't do it. I always say I can't, but one time my doctor said "You can, but you don't want to." And sometimes I think that's it. I want those carbs. I won't lie. Today we had frozen ravioli and sauce. The ravioli was too many carbs for me, but we have to watch our money and that makes an inexpensive dinner for us. When I cook a meat and potatoes dinner for my husband I can always eat met and veggies, but carbs like we had this evening cost less than $5 for the whole meal and we have leftovers.

Like Mad said, abstaining works best, but I can't always abstain. It was much better when we could go out to eat and we could each order something different, but that gets too expensive. The cost of living must really be rising because our money just doesn't last like it used to. We get all our income at the beginning of the month. It looks really good in the checking account the first of the month, but that money has to be stretched until the next month. It's not the same as getting a paycheck each week or bi-weekly.

fatmad
10-10-2013, 08:01 PM
I am having a bad day, difficulties with the co-worker who continually rubs me the wrong way. I am drinking some dry sherry, and plan to get a bit recreational over all tonight.
Rennie and Carol Sue, I don't know what might help for you, I too have struggled with the carbs for a while, and just recently found this groove about the addiction research. FOr some reason, it spoke to me. You might find Kim on the atkins thread to be helpful. She doesn't mix up her diet much, has a similar breakfast and lunch everyday, and just changes suppers. She has done Atkins for years, very successfully.

love2b150
10-10-2013, 11:39 PM
Carol Sue I am in the same boat as you money wise. I get paid once a month. Trust me I know what you mean on the pasta and meat sauce. I shop at different stores just to make things stretch and I have to think about what will last. In order for me to eat properly I MUST fix a different meal for me. I SHOULDN'T eat most of the things that I fix for them or that my son prepares. But it is so hard to work most of the day and come home to the house smelling delicious or I prepare a meal that's delicious and I want it so I eat it.

Mad how long has the co-worker worked with you? Are they bothering anyone else that you know of? maybe you could speak to a supervisor about them? You've probably thought of all of this I'm sure ... I pray for better days for you :hug: ... ABOUT ME - I now know that I have a true addiction to carbs. I can't go three days without eating too many carbs (over eating them). I have done it for two days but after that I am about to lose it. I admit that I need help.

Could you post the link to Kim's thread so that I could check it out please. Thank you

Wannabehealthy
10-11-2013, 11:58 AM
Here is the link to the Atkins Forum. Kim posts as Jersey Gyrl. She sticks to Atkins religiously and has lost a lot of weight and kept it off for a very long time. She posts all over the forum. Somewhere she has before/after pics that are amazing. I have communicated with her and she has been very helpful but it's me...I am not in the mode to follow Atkins right now.

I don't know if carbs are a true addiction, but then I quit smoking cold turkey 20 years ago and have never had a cigarette since, but I have craved one on occasion. When I eat carbs, I'm just going to do it this one time and get back on the horse after that. It doesn't work. I have to be like Mad and just make up my mind that I'm going to abstain. I did it before. I should be able to do it again. It is more important now because before it was for my weight, now it's for the BS.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/atkins-226/

pattygirl63
10-11-2013, 03:25 PM
I know that I am a carbohydrate I also know for me that I cannot just stop eating all carbs, but I do know that I have to cut them way back. That is what I've chosen to do. I am back with my group on another site that does this. I have no carbs for breakfast or supper, but once a day I have carbs. I think this is the only way this is every going to work for me.

I wanted to post this because while there are a lot of plans out there, I didn't want any one to think I am saying we can or should eat a load of carbs. I am not able to do that. In fact, if I go overboard too much with carbs, I have rash reactions.

So please, please... take control of your own way of dealing with diabetes. While I'm not really ready to go 100% gluten free (my doc says it isn't necessary for me), I have to say that I really wonder if diabetics or at least some of us may be gluten sensitive.

Rennie and Carol Sue DH #2 deceased and I were on food stamps for a short time and I had to eat a lot of pasta, rice etc and that is when I learned that my body would have a yeast re-action which comes out as a rash. My doc had given me a prescription cream to take care of it. So I understand how it is so difficult when money is limited. I have to be careful as well. I make one good meal a day for DH and me. I've decided that eggs are reasonable for the price and I can purchase small service size cans of meat like tuna. I noticed at our new Sams that they have small size cans of chicken in bulk so I plan to get those to alternate with the tuna to have a evening meal of no carb salads. By no carbs, I mean that I can use mayo with no sugar, dill relish and season with salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder.

Have a good week end y'all.

love2b150
10-11-2013, 04:48 PM
Trish would you mind sending me the link to the othersite you are on. Also would mind sharing about five days of your meals. Also I posted in a new thread that I am looking for an accountability partner someone that is wanting to keep close tabs with one another via text and of course here. I really need the extra and I do believe it will help me. I tried to find Kim's meals but not easy to do on my phone so I'll check this evening.

On a good note my fbs was 170 this morning much better than yesterday.

pattygirl63
10-12-2013, 05:35 PM
Well, I posted a long post and lost it.

I was sharing about how my week has ended. It has been a very productive week for me. As you know, I have spent the last 3 or 4 yrs searching for my own way to healthy for me. I had it all the time, but didn't realize it until now.

When I was growing up, I only ate 2 meals a day lunch and dinner. Breakfast was eaten on special occasions and snacks were rare for me. Others in my family at them, but I just wasn't interested. When I grew up and lived alone, I mostly ate only 1 meal a day with a rare but occasional snack. Weight became a problem when living with others who insisted on at least 3 meals a day especially breakfast.

I always loved the Carbohydrate Addict's Diet and of course, you know I like Intuitive Eating. I have actually evolved into a combo of the 2 and that is how I am eating again. I realized today that the reason it works so well for me is that it is "my normal" flow or way of eating. My main meal now is at or around 2 or 3. That is about the time when I used to eat lunch in high school and when I worked. Now it is the CAD's RM which I call my carby meal. I eat my Carbohydrate-Reducing Meal (CM) between 6 & 7 pm. And then I'm through.

In school, I was extremely active with band marching, sports and dancing. I now fill that spot with the stationary bike for 2 miles, 5 days, and the Tai Chi, 4 days this week.

I feel great. I feel alive, free and alert with a great positive attitude that makes me feel good about me. Haven't had that feeling in a LONG time.
So thankful that it has finally come together for me. So many times I came close to giving up, but I am so thankful that I didn't give up.

This is not a diet for me. It is "my lifestyle" the way I should have and would have continued to do ALL my life if everyone had left me alone. Now that I know that, I can just relax and enjoy what is left of my life and let my health and weight return to normal in its own time. What a blessing.

Wannabehealthy
10-12-2013, 05:48 PM
Rennie - I don't think Kim (Jersey Gyrl) actually has her meals posted online. She strictly follows Atkins, as explained in the Atkins book.

Trish - I can tell that you are excited about this, as you should be. It is really a great accomplishment to find the eating plan that works so well for you, and a big part of it is making up your mind that you are going to stick to your plan as your new lifestyle. Good for you!

pattygirl63
10-13-2013, 12:08 AM
HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO OUR CANADIAN FRIENDS!!!

fatmad
10-13-2013, 11:09 AM
Hi everyone, and I appreciate the Thanksgiving good wishes. We had a lovely family meal yesterday, and great visit too. I mostly stuck to plan, made a low carb dessert for me, (apple crisp, sugar free, with nuts) and just had a bite of regular apple pie made by Dad's lady friend, and half a homemade and delicious cheese biscuit, and 3 pieces of sushi. (DSIL and his Dad always bring sushi as appetizers, as they are japanese, and it is now part of our family tradition)
I did over eat a bit, and will blame the wine for that.
I should also explain, I am not anti-carb. In fact I do eat some carby veggies, like a bit of potato (about 1/2 a medium one on occasion, but never mashed potatoes) and beets and carrots etc. Its really the grains that do me in. Once started, I can eat baked goods and grains and never stop.
Overall, I am declaring the day a success, in that I stopped eating the 'treats' with just a taste, and didn't gain weight. Still hovering at 180, but not higher. This week is the week I will dip below.

Wannabehealthy
10-13-2013, 01:18 PM
Hi everyone, and I appreciate the Thanksgiving good wishes. We had a lovely family meal yesterday, and great visit too. I mostly stuck to plan, made a low carb dessert for me, (apple crisp, sugar free, with nuts) and just had a bite of regular apple pie made by Dad's lady friend, and half a homemade and delicious cheese biscuit, and 3 pieces of sushi. (DSIL and his Dad always bring sushi as appetizers, as they are japanese, and it is now part of our family tradition)
I did over eat a bit, and will blame the wine for that.
I should also explain, I am not anti-carb. In fact I do eat some carby veggies, like a bit of potato (about 1/2 a medium one on occasion, but never mashed potatoes) and beets and carrots etc. Its really the grains that do me in. Once started, I can eat baked goods and grains and never stop.
Overall, I am declaring the day a success, in that I stopped eating the 'treats' with just a taste, and didn't gain weight. Still hovering at 180, but not higher. This week is the week I will dip below.

I'm glad you enjoyed Thanksgiving, Mad, and it doesn't sound like you overindulged too much. Just enough to enjoy.

When I am in control, I can eat a bit of carb here and there like you do and still keep my BS in line, as long as I eat it with other foods, like protein and fat. Bread also gets me out of control. Yesterday was a very bad day for me. I totally binged on carbs. I had ravioli for lunch, fettuccini alfredo chicken for dinner, bread, and some french fries when my husband made them in the evening. Oh, and a big tootsie roll. I don't know what got into me and I was very angry with myself afterwards. I was way over 200 this morning. But I'm back in line today, so I guess that's a good thing. I guess I had to get it all out of my system.

pattygirl63
10-13-2013, 04:53 PM
Madeleine I think you did great having just a little of what you wanted. The low carb dessert sounds good. I do have an apple each day. Fruit was one of the reasons that I wanted to count my carbs. Are you still going to Weight Watcher's? Are you finding it easier to count the points with low carb? Just curious. I try to watch the calories and carb count. I've started taking Weight Watcher's magazine again because it was offered with a Vegetarian magazine that I wanted. I need to learn how to make more interest veggies and thought that would help.

I've had 2 good days back OP. I still have a tendency toward really low carb because I just like eating meat and veggies with a small amount of carby foods. I too have to be careful of some carbs. I must have the carb count (mostly estimated) right and eating the right ones because I have lost my desire for sweets, bread and pasta. I'm almost afraid to eat them at all because I'm afraid I will start wanting them everyday. I do eat double fiber bread when I eat it because of the fiber does help my fbs, but I find I have to be careful with it because I end up wanting to eat it everyday. I start out with one slice and then I want more. I have to keep it at a minimum. My Mama craved fresh bread when pregnant with me and I believe it. :dizzy:
Talk about an addiction. I could be if I would let myself.

Have a good day.

love2b150
10-13-2013, 08:25 PM
Madeleine I'm glad you enjoyed your Thanksgiving dinner and your dessert does sound really good. :)

Carol Sue glad you're back OP today, but all of your food on Saturday was good I know :drool:

Trish yay on two OP days :high:. I eat the high fiber natures own also. Funny I guess because it's healthy I never crave more of it :shrug: I think I'm more of a sweet carb nut but I also love white bread and I can make it sweet ;)

Ruth and Bonnie I hope you are doing ok :hug:

weight this morning down the .2 that I was up yesterday but thanks to all of my carbs my fbs was 241 this morning. On a good note I think I am off to a good start after my Friday and Saturday eats I truly need to be ... I have had Campbell's chicken noodle soup with a whole lot of Ritz, mac n cheese, cup cakes, birthday cake, pancakes, grits, Krispy Creme doughnuts and a biscuit ... I did have some good for me foods but not nearly as many as the bad for me foods. Today I have been OP. I had an Atkins shake before church because that is all I had time for (I read the article that Kim posted) but the shake was better than eating more biscuits. For lunch I had chicken salad made with mayo and sweet relish (I bought some dill relish today) with spinach. For dinner I am trying to finish some chicken sausage with green pepper and cucumber. oh snack was 25 pistachios and even though it doesn't call for it I may have a sugar free gelatin for my evening snack.

If you have an evening snack ... What time do you eat it?

I've been praying for a way to work out, well my husband signed us up for a gym membership. They are running a promotion and we got in on that. God is good.

Have a great evening everyone :hug:

pattygirl63
10-14-2013, 12:20 PM
I've got 3 days OP behind me now. And last night I found a group on a low carb site that does a Weight Watcher's Low Carb combination. I've been reading it and I think I can handle using the WW Pts Plus system rather than the calorie counting. I was so thrilled to find them especially since I had just asked Madeleine if she was finding it easier to do. I thought I had read about doing WW with LC in the WW magazine, but couldn't find it; but I am thankful to find people online that do it. Some of them switched to it when they got stalled doing regular WW and they also gave examples of their meals. Some eat more carbs than others but they do keep them low. I think I read where someone on there said they keep the count below 70 grams. So now I know it can be done.

I'm not too sure how or if you can low carb vegetarian style as I have days I lean that way, but I'm not willing to be 100% vegetarian. I just like meals or days when I prefer for my eating to lean that way. I think WW will help with that as well. I remember when I went to meetings years ago that they even suggested (had signs with pics on the wall) changing things up a bit and having some low carb days, some days more carbs, some vegetarian. More variety. Don't know exactly how that would work. Might have to find me a WW group or might just join online again.

I think this is a good way to have the healthy carbs that I want to keep in my diet, have the fiber I need and learn how to do it sensibly and stay within their guidelines. I just get too wild sometimes with the calories. When I do strictly low carb, I overdo the protein and the fat. So WW PP system seems to be the way to go to will help me learn to keep the portions where they should be.

I think a lot of women in my church who have lost a lot of weight has done it with WW and they are looking great. I want to be one of those people... who looks like that. At least I'm doing it right this time. I already have my exercise program going ahead of time, so that will be a big help.

love2b150
10-14-2013, 12:46 PM
Trish glad you found that thread/site. I'm searching and reading also. I picked up 4 books at the library yesterday and if I find them useful, I'll just buy the ebook. Most of the books that I've book without knowing what they are about have bascially told me the same things I already knew. ... I am happy to say that I did well yesterday with my low carbing and no breads, rice, pasta. I was down 3lbs of water today and my fbs was 153. You all know that is a record for me. Just have to keep it going. Day one down, now I have to keep day two in check ;). I'm having lunch with my little one she asked me as I was dropping her off. I'm having a homemade salad with salad greens and spinach, classic Caesar & cheese and the chicken salad that I made yesterday. I'm taking a s/f gelatin just in case I want something sweet so we shall see.

Have a great day Ladies :hug:

Wannabehealthy
10-14-2013, 03:51 PM
Rennie - good for you on sticking to your plan and losing weight. Also for your FBS.

So far today I have not had any sweets, bread, potatoes, rice or any other starchy carbs. I had a big salad with hb egg and cheese and the veggies are carbs, but not starchy carbs. My husband made himself a kielbassa sandwich and I was tempted, but I just ate a small piece of the meat without bread. I was proud of myself! I haven't decided what we're having for dinner yet but I'm hoping I can stay carb free the rest of the day. I think I need to get through one good day and maybe it will get easier each day. We are going to do this!!!

Trish, when I did WW I did low carb. I ate a lot of veggies because for the most part, they are zero points. It's not unlimited, but I ate a lot of them and I still lost. I did very well, but I could not justify the $42.50 per month and I also did not like the leader. I tried doing it on my own but couldn't stick with it without the meetings.

Rennie, I know you couldn't do this with gelatin you are taking with you, but did you ever try Redi Whip on your SF gelatin? It is very low calorie and low carb, low fat, and it gives you the feeling that you're having a more elegant treat. My husband eats a lot of canned fruit and he puts it on his fruit, too.

Mad - You need to adjust your ticker. Mine is wrong right now. I'm up a couple pounds, but hope to be back down this week. I never fail to adjust it when I lose! LOL

Bonnie - I hope you are dong well. I worry about you with all you have going on.

love2b150
10-14-2013, 04:33 PM
Thanks Carol Sue, ... I like kielbasa ... I'll have to check it out. I ate the chicken sausage last night but I wasn't too fond of it and I still have a serving left. I put mustard on it which usually helps me to eat meats that I don't care for and it still wasn't appetizing. I have used the Redi whip before (but with a slice of yellow cake) and my gelatin. Maybe I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

Well so far so good I had lunch with my baby (I got McD's for her) oh those fries (the smell) in the truck were heavenly ... isn't that sad. :D My daughter and her husband are here, I think they are leaving today but anywho ... they have had Cookout two days in a row. I love their burgers and their hush puppies :drool: but I didn't ask for any and I didn't touch anything even when they left them on the table last night and I was the only one up :yay: me.

fatmad
10-14-2013, 06:09 PM
Hi everyone, did pretty well today. However, baking for others is leaving me with too many temptations, and will plan to drop stuff off for friends tonight.
I am driving DH to a visitation for a friend of his who passed away, and expect to be a designated driver to bring him home afterward. (especially with a longish drive in the dark, and maybe having him emotional, we are pretty much zero tolerance for alcohol) so hope to visit with some friends myself.
I would say that the problem today seems to be temptations and in just the span of the weekend, I have gotten used to bigger portions again. Didn't take long did it? SO I will work to bring that into line.
I am not doing WW and points right now. I think it was useful for a few weeks to figure out portion sized, but I have not been finding meetings helpful, or counting points. Now that I am used to it, I may try daily plate or or something if I decide to do any counting again.

pattygirl63
10-14-2013, 08:57 PM
Well, the WW Plus Points system seems to be just what I needed mainly because it is helping me with portion control with the low carbing. We had tacos today and using the points, I ate way less than what I normally would have eaten. I'm not sure I will join WW. I have the materials and the magazines and the new website thread for Weight Watcher's on lc. I don't want to get on a group that tells me I have to eat all the 29 daily pts and all the 35 weekly pts I'm allowed. Today I will end with 25 pts eaten because that is all I want. I've done my exercises and I now have 3 good days behind me. I am very pleased with the way the last few days have gone. I am taking this One Day at a Time. Doing my best NOT to think about how far I have to go or how long it is going to take me.

Bonnie I've been thinking about your and wondering how you are doing. Hope you are feeling alright. How is your daughter?

Carol Sue, Ruthie, Fatmad and others :wave:

love2b150
10-14-2013, 11:24 PM
Madeleine sorry about all of the temptation but I'm sure your house smells very good :drool: good idea to drop everything off tonight :) Sorry about the passing of your husbands friend. Praying for strength :hug: I did WW a long time ago, so long ago that I don't have a clue how it's done. Come to think of it that's one of the reasons I didn't stick with it. I didn't have the patience for it and I never had a good weigh in, so I felt like I was paying $9.99 a week for nothing. I'm glad it worked for you :)

Trish, I'm glad you have found what works, that's great :) I made tacos for the family one day last week I think and I believe I can actually eat them. I didn't use any type of shell or tortilla. I just use the lettuce, ground beef, cheese, salsa and sour cream (probably can't use the sour cream now). I love tacos. I'm babbling ... good for you on the portion control :high:

I had my second day OP, I am hoping to keep myself carb free for 12 more days :crossed: went to the gym again, did 2.20 miles on the treadmill and about 25 crunches on the machine. :)

Have a great night everyone and thanks for being here.

Ruthxxx
10-15-2013, 07:46 AM
Checking in after what could have been a disastrous weekend with way too much food around. I know Thanksgiving is to celebrate the end of the harvest but do we have to eat it all at one sitting? There is really no need for four different desserts for only five adults!

I am using Fitday to track my food lately and have been sticking with carbs below 90. My latest favourite lunch is a peanut butter and lettuce sandwich using iceberg for the "bread". Bread and pasta are my downfall. I am going to try using zucchini strips for pasta later this week. Sure wish I could find one of those spiral cutter thingies for the zuke!

Back and ribs seem to be feeling a bit better lately. I've found that an hour of my heating pad is better than drugs for pain relief. I've been using the time-out to sew binding onto quilts - assuages the guilt I feel when I do nothing!

Hang in there, chickies. We will make it eventually.

Catareta
10-15-2013, 10:05 AM
Hi there - my name is Jo. I am new here and wanted to drop a quick hello :)
I am T1 and on MDI, been struggling with weight loss - tried WW/SW and low carb and nothing is working.

I went for my 3 yearly Pap today and explained that my last period was 6 mths ago (Am 28 years old), and have hot flushes too. So being seen by my GP for a different view as my Endo keeps blaming weight and lack of activity, I cycle 3-4 times a week on a stationary bike.

Lovely to meet you all xx

love2b150
10-15-2013, 10:30 AM
Ruth beautiful doggie :) Glad your back is better. You know I often wonder why we eat the way we do at Thanksgiving and Christmas also. I hope that I have learned some type of TOTAL control by the time Thanksgiving comes. :)

Catareta :welcome: back to 3FC (I see you joined in 2011) and to the thread. I'm type 2 was diagnosed in 2011. I just started low carbing two days ago, today is day 3. I hope your doctors can help you figure out what's going on soon. :hug: I started having hot flashes at the age of 27, night sweats too. The doctor told me that some woman experience pre-menopausal symptoms early but they do subside and they did. But at 47 they are back :) sorry you are experiencing them. You'll find a wealth of information with the ladies here and lots of support. Glad to have you join us :)

Ladies I am happy to report another good weigh in, down 1.4lbs and a fbs of 143. It's coming down :yay: I think it may have been lower but I ate my afternoon snack of 25 pistachios around 9:30pm, not good. Hoping for another OP day.

Have a great day :hug:

fatmad
10-15-2013, 03:18 PM
Hi everyone: I updated the ticker. I am now actually below 180, but will wait a bit to change it down until I know it is staying there. Am on plan again today. DH has good supper planned too.
I am doing well with will power and eating, but still have to get the temptation out of the way. I will so easily eat even if not hungry.

Jo, Welcome to you. You sound like you have some sort of interesting endocrine thing happening, and although the OB/Gyn may be useful, ask to see and endocrinologist if answers are not found soon. DOn't know if you desire children in the future, but you don't want to close the doors if physical issues may affect you.
Ruth, my shoulder is bugging me too, maybe the damp weather is making things worse for us.

hope everyone is plugging along and keeping on track, love to all, and thanks for your kind words.

pattygirl63
10-15-2013, 09:51 PM
Jo WELCOME!!! I hope you will be able to get your health questions answered and corrected. Fatmad Helps keep a lot of us healthy here because she is so knowledgeable working in the medical field. She has been such a blessing and help to me.

Ruth I agree about the food at Thanksgiving and other foodie holidays. I often wonder why we always wait until a special day to make all that food to try to eat at one time or over the period of a few days. Wouldn't it be wiser to experience some of our favorites at other times in smaller portions? We would enjoy it so much more and wouldn't feel so stuffed or have to fight eating so much. I used to make everyones favorite dessert so no one was left out when previous DH was living. Thank God, DH I have now could care less. In fact, we will probably go out to eat for our Thanksgiving.

I have another clean day OP. The WW pts plus is working great for me. When I want something and have to check how many pts it is going to cost me, I am finding it easy to say "no" if it is more than I want to spend. In fact, I said that to DH today when he wanted to eat something that was bought for me. I told him that I wouldn't be eating it any more because it costs me too many pts.

I haven't had my ticker on for a while because things have been so crazy with my weight bouncing. I was excited to see 233.2 this morning getting me back down 5 lbs. I've got to lose 2 more to get back where I was when I went to the doctor in August. So I decided to put it back on here and I am hoping that when I go back to the doctor in November that I will be down in the 220s.

Bonnie, Carol Sue, Rennie and others :wave:

Wannabehealthy
10-16-2013, 10:31 AM
Welcome Jo. I hope you get your medical issues resolved soon. Menses can stop for so many reasons. Some doctors blame weight for everything when they don't know what else it could be.

I read online that diabetes can cause shoulder pain. I had pain a couple years ago caused by Cipro, tendonitis, and I still get it off and on, especially when I am lying down. Since I read about the diabetic shoulder pain I often blame my BS since it has not been under control lately.

Ruth, when you enter your food in Fitday, make note that your total carbs will include the carbs in vegetables, too, and they are not the carbs that cause us trouble, so you are probably much lower as far as starchy carbs are concerned.

Have you ever tried spaghetti squash? It really does look like spaghetti. The first time I had it I was disappointed because I expected it to taste like spaghetti, but now that I know better I eat it often, with just butter and salt and pepper. Lately I have been cubing a small zucchini and sauteing it in a little butter. Then I mix in some salsa and sometimes a bit of shredded cheese. It's tasty. Now I have bought a butternut squash. I never ate it before, but I am going to try cooking it in the microwave, cubing it, and adding some butter and cinnamon. Cinnamon is said to help lower BS, but other than on my apple I haven't found a use for it other than cinnamon toast and cinnamon buns, both of which are NOT good for diabetes. LOL My husband doesn't eat any of this stuff so it is usually my lunch. I am trying to add more healthy foods to my diet. I never liked salsa before as most people use it as a dip for tortilla chips. But adding a little to some other foods has me buying it every week now.

On Thanksgiving, I only make pumpkin pie, because my husband likes it. My DIL usually brings a pumpkin cheesecake. Luckily, I am not a dessert lover...I have a bigger problem staying away from the stuffing. LOL Love that bread.

I did pretty good yesterday, too. I have not weighed or checked my BS yet today, so I don't know how well I actually did, but I feel good.

Mad - Watch that ticker go down!!! ^5!!

Trish - Doing good with WW!!

Rennie - Even though it would seem better if your family didn't leave their food out to tempt you, it helps you build up resistance to it. You cannot hide from food the rest of your life, so it's best to learn how to say no.

love2b150
10-16-2013, 11:01 AM
Madeleine Congratulations on being below 180 :high: I can't wait ;)

Trish :yay: to another OP day. And :bravo: on saying NO when the points don't allow. You have a plan, it's set in place and you are working it out :high: keep up the great work :)

Carol Sue, I like spaghetti squash also. I love stuffing, mac n cheese, yams, potato salad all of the starchy stuff at Thanksgiving. I hope by this Thanksgiving I will actually have total control :crossed: We still have about 6 weeks (give or take). :) On the note of leaving junk food in plain sight ... since I have only been eating right for four days (this being the forth), I need as little temptation as possible. Building a resistance this early on for me, is NOT going to happen. When I mature a tad more in my eating and can actually say NO like Trish then they can have there cookies and chips too on top of the fridge :) that's where all of the junk food is kept ;) My hubby sat beside me and ate Nutter Butters last evening, I found myself staring and had to shake it off, LOL. It was too late to be eating anyway but he's skinny so he doesn't care :D

I had another OP day yesterday though I did go over my calories by 351. I had an unplanned Atkins shake for dinner and a half piece of my sons fried chicken thigh, skinless but battered in flour. I burned 334 on the treadmill. I weighed in at .6 down to 186 even and a FBS of 122 <--- Ladies that is the lowest in a very long time. I am finally doing something right. I pray I can keep it up.

Well have a great day Everyone, blessings to all for strength and healing :hug:

Wannabehealthy
10-16-2013, 11:21 AM
Madeleine Congratulations on being below 180 :high: I can't wait ;)

Trish :yay: to another OP day. And :bravo: on saying NO when the points don't allow. You have a plan, it's set in place and you are working it out :high: keep up the great work :)

Carol Sue, I like spaghetti squash also. I love stuffing, mac n cheese, yams, potato salad all of the starchy stuff at Thanksgiving. I hope by this Thanksgiving I will actually have total control :crossed: We still have about 6 weeks (give or take). :) On the note of leaving junk food in plain sight ... since I have only been eating right for four days (this being the forth), I need as little temptation as possible. Building a resistance this early on for me, is NOT going to happen. When I mature a tad more in my eating and can actually say NO like Trish then they can have there cookies and chips too on top of the fridge :) that's where all of the junk food is kept ;) My hubby sat beside me and ate Nutter Butters last evening, I found myself staring and had to shake it off, LOL. It was too late to be eating anyway but he's skinny so he doesn't care :D

I had another OP day yesterday though I did go over my calories by 351. I had an unplanned Atkins shake for dinner and a half piece of my sons fried chicken thigh, skinless but battered in flour. I burned 334 on the treadmill. I weighed in at .6 down to 186 even and a FBS of 122 <--- Ladies that is the lowest in a very long time. I am finally doing something right. I pray I can keep it up.

Well have a great day Everyone, blessings to all for strength and healing :hug:

But Rennie, you ARE passing on the bad food that is right in front of you. First with your son's cook-out food he left out, and then with your husband's Nutter Butter. That's a beginning, and it's showing in your FBS. Boy, do I want to see a 122!!! Years ago, when I kept my weight off with Atkins, I ate breaded fried chicken. I figured since I wasn't eating actual bread or potatoes or rice, that little bit of breading wasn't going to hurt me, and it never did. It wasn't something I ate every day.

pattygirl63
10-16-2013, 12:46 PM
Good to see everyone doing so well.

Fatmad I forgot to congratulate you on getting below 180. So happy for you.

Rennie When the kids moved out I moved all tempting foods into the cabinet they had used for their food. It helps if you could find a place where you don't have to see it. Don't know if you have room to do that or not. Like Rennie said though, the situations you have handled thus far are real accomplishments so look at those as things you can build on. Those are the things that helps us to remember when we get into another similar situation in the future of "I did it before so I can do it again". The more we do it the more we feel like a winner and feel we can face it and do it right again.

I am blessed to be seeing the scale going down a little bit each day, but I was excited to see that I was down to 232 this morning. 3fc doesn't show decimals, so the 233 yesterday on ticker actually was 233.4. So today I am down 1.4 lbs. I am making this fun by keeping a daily graft chart that shows my weight each day and I am having the fun of watching it go down after so much bouncing back and forth. So needless to say WW is working beautifully for me. I do eat starchy carbs for the extra fiber I need to keep things moving. I use the double fiber bread which only counts as 1 pt for 2 slices, but usually only have 1 slice. It is nice to have just 1 pt and all that fiber if I do have a sandwich. I won't use much mayo because it is 1 pt per 1 tsp and not sure I want to switch to FF or LF so I use mustard instead. Small changes but it works. I end up using about 3 sometimes 4 servings of starchy carbs a day which keeps my carb count below 90 grams. Those doing more carbs on the WW Low Carb site seem to try to recommend not going over 100 g. I actually think I could possibly be in the 220s by next week sometime. I am so excited to finally have a plan that is working for me. FBS has been high the few days I tried going strict low carb, but adding the carbs seems to be bringing it back down slowly, but it is coming down. I think I can't do the fruit which up sets me, but I read somewhere on a low carb site where someone explained that we don't really have to have fruit and how we can get the vitamins and nutrition that we get from them in veggies which they named. I didn't copy the list so hope I can find it again to get it.

Busy afternoon. We all seem to be finding our plans and our way and I am wishing all of us a great OP day.

love2b150
10-16-2013, 01:57 PM
Carol Sue, thank you, I didn't see it that way :) ... I was reading in one of the books I picked up to fry chicken in pork rinds, I'm gonna give that a shot. LOL, the stuff they had was from the fast food place "Cookout" it's just plan ole greasy. Now if we had a cookout at home, I'd eat for sure because my son or myself would be making the burgers so I know what kind of beef I'm eating and I know they are grilled. You can't see them prepare anything at Cookout it's set up like Checkers or like a Sonic type place, you drive up or walk up. I'm going to add things in later on but right now I just want to be good. If I get my fbs to where it should be I will know that I can do something good for me with the help of all of you.

I have said it before and I will say it again, YOU ALL HELP ME MORE THAN YOU KNOW. and I am truly grateful. :hug:

like you saying this to Ruth earlier ... make note that your total carbs will include the carbs in vegetables, too, and they are not the carbs that cause us trouble, so you are probably much lower as far as starchy carbs are concerned I never thought about this so I went back to look at MFP to see what my carbs really are the last few days and they are great. :)

Trish which starchy carbs do you eat? I was thinking maybe add the Nature's Own double fiber back in for lunch or better yet breakfast with cinnamon, what do you think? I need the fiber also. I haven't been to the bathroom since Saturday (sorry if TMI). If you find that vegetable list/link please do share. Thank you :)

fatmad
10-16-2013, 06:52 PM
yes, am staying on plan, scale was 180 even again today. I hope for a little woosh soon. Today was long and tiring, but just fine, no worries, simply busy.
Gonna need a nap though.
I will read more messages later, after the nap

pattygirl63
10-16-2013, 10:17 PM
Rennie I eat the Nature's Own Double Fiber bread when I eat bread. It has enough fiber to keep me from craving more. I eat one slice toasted, plain in the morning with 2 boiled eggs, 2 sl bacon and 1 c of coffee. There was a time when I thought I would never look at a boiled egg again, but I've had a real desire for them lately and going with it. I put about 1.5 tsp of coconut oil in my coffee is the reason I don't put anything on my toast.

I get 29 daily pts on WW. I have 7 pts every morning for breakfast. When eating at home, I try to keep my pts count around 15 to 16 pts and then use the remainder for dinner which right now I'm using WW dinners because DH eats only one main meal and snacks the rest of the time. It is easier for me and I try to keep the dinner pts at 7 or less. Then later at night I have air popped popcorn for a snack. I eat air popped because it is 3 pts just like most 100 popped, but it doesn't have the salt. I eat the pop corn and the double fiber bread so I too can go to the bathroom. I don't like taking laxatives as I've seen too many elder women that used them all their lives and couldn't go to the bathroom. I would rather do it all naturally. In fact, with the amount of fiber I'm eating and the "good" oils I am using, I think that is the main reason why my weight is starting to come off. I've always said that if I could get "regular" that I could lose weight. If you haven't been eating fiber and just starting, add it slowly and build it up a little at a time because if you start eating too much fiber too fast, it will bloat you and you may weigh a little more a few days before it starts moving through your system. I've done that before and not knowing what was going on I thought the fiber made me gain. I didn't know it was because I ate too much to soon. I would eat about 5 grams for a few days and then add another 5 for a few etc until you reach the amount that works you. Also be sure to drink plenty of water to keep from bloating and to keep things moving smoothly.

We ate at Buffalo Wild Wings today. DH and I always half a meal, but I couldn't find the count in my books so had to estimate. So I only ate 4 pieces of wings and we shared the cheese dip and chips. Even estimating, I think I met my 29 daily pts plus 7 of my 35 weekly pts allowed. We only eat out 2 times a week. Sunday is breakfast out and I eat pretty much what I eat at home so my pts will still be within 29 pts on Sunday. I won't be using any of the other 35 pts so I'm good and STILL OP.

After lunch we went to our new Sam's and walked a tood hour or more before going to walk around Walmart. I was thrilled to find Extra virgin Organic Coconut oil at Sam's for about the price I pay for the Pure Coconut oil at Walmart. So I got a jar of it to switch to organic when I am finished with the pure. So today has been a really good productive day.

love2b150
10-16-2013, 11:16 PM
Trish I'm gonna have your breakfast in the morning. Gonna add it up on MFP and see what I get. Question??? Does coconut oil taste of smell like coconut? I don't like either but would give it a try if it didn't :)

I was hungry after church. I went to Food Lion and found this grape sugar free jam with fiber (Polaner). It's pretty good much better than smucker's. It says a tbl spoon is the serving (5 calories) (2 net carbs) but I didn't eat a tbl. I don't even use a full serving of regular jelly, I don't like the texture. ... oh I ate a slice of double fiber bread, a little of the jam, a cheese stick, some sunflower seed kernels and a cup of prune juice. Trish I hope this isn't too much fiber. I shall find out huh :)

Well another OP day. Trish like you the fiber bread doesn't make me want more maybe because it taste nothing like white bread, idk.

Well good night ladies, rest well :hug:

Ruthxxx
10-17-2013, 07:18 AM
Checking in. Ticker is still accurate despite being attacked by a bag of those darned Goldfish crackers yesterday! I was expecting a gain from water weight but all is well, probably because I ate low carb last night - very small steak and a lettuce salad with blue cheese dressing.

Actually slept right through the night - if you call 11 to 5 through the night. My body seems to be getting back into it's 5 a.m. wake-up mode. Sure wish I could change that for the dark winter mornings. When I worked, I went to work for 7 and my internal alarm is stuck at 5:20. Grrr!

My fridge is getting pretty bare - two peppers and some lettuce is bare! Now that the back/ribs feel a tad better, I plan to wash out the crispers and take a trip for veggies. I seem to be craving fruit and will get some of the local apple crop plus some oranges. I've been really good about taking my vitamins but know I need some natural Vit C to speed healing.

love2b150
10-17-2013, 11:22 AM
Ruth glad to hear you're better :hug: Apples seem to be the thing now. I keep reading about people eating apples. I have a bag but haven't ate one since I started eating right.

I did well scale wise down 1.4 to 184.6 but my fbs was up 152. It had to be eating the double fiber bread last evening, it was after 9 or maybe after 10. I won't have it tonight so we shall see how I fair in the morning.

Oh Trish I had your breakfast, I am full :) I also drank 1.5 bottles of water so that could be it also :)

Hope you all have a great day :hug:

Wannabehealthy
10-17-2013, 03:33 PM
Trish, it might matter what kind of fruit you are eating, the portion size and also if you are eating it with a protein, or maybe with your meal instead of a snack. I think that is supposed to alter how the sugar is absorbed.

I guess they changed WW again. I get mad at how they keep changing the program. When I went last year, the max points you could have were 26 and then you got 45 weekly points on top of that. It makes a difference, because if they change what you are allowed to have, they also have to change how many points each food represents.

Rennie - Have you looked into any books at the library? I went there today to get a novel I wanted and while I was there I picked up 2 books that seem to be about compulsive over eating, or food addiction. One is "From the First Bite, a Complete Guide to Recovery from Food Addiction" by Kay Sheppard. At first glance, it seems to be about Overeaters Anonymous, which is based on Alcoholics Anonymous and the 12 steps. I have read about that before and didn't seem to get anything out of it, but I will read this and see if it is presented in a way that will get through to me. The second one is "A Course in Weight Loss, 21 spiritual lessons for surendering your weight forever" by Marianne Williamson. I didn't have a lot of time to look over what they had and I just grabbed the first two that looked interesting. I actually have read so many books and nothing clicked with me so I am not expecting any miracles. But it's a start, and they are free from the library. I have given up on diet books and diet plans. I feel that any diet will work if you stick to it. I know what to do...I need to work on sticking to it.

I am going to look for that Nature's Own bread you guys have been mentioning. Is it sold in regular grocery stores? I was buying Nickles 35 multigrain bread. It is small, thin slices, lower calorie and higher fiber than regular bread. I kept it in the freezer and it lasted a long time, and I liked it, but I got tired of buying two breads all the time so I figured I would cut bread out altogether. Well, that didn't work, and now, when I eat bread, I'm eating white bread, and I shouldn't be. I will compare the nutrition information for each of them and decide what to do.

Ruth, my internal clock is also set for 5, and I haven't worked for 3 years. Occasionally I can fall back to sleep until 8 or 9, but it's rare. I get up and read in the morning. It's quiet until my husband gets up. LOL I try staying up later, but I am yawning and I feel so exhausted so I give in and go to bed. I fall asleep in a second, but I don't sleep long enough.

Mad - I don't want to forget you. It sounds like you are really busy, but that's not a bad thing. Maybe it keeps you from mindless eating. Doing Good!

Jo - How's it going?

fatmad
10-17-2013, 06:25 PM
Just realized the apple crisp I just ate was made with sugar, not the low carb one I made for myself. Ahh well.
Just a bit tired today, after working half the night. Otherwise things are good, but the sleep deprivations makes me want to eat, and overeat. So am going to nap now.
Ruth, so glad you are feeling a bit better.
Trish, keep up the good work, sounds like a good plan you are doing right now.
Hello to everyone else, will be back tomorrow and will read more posts.

pattygirl63
10-17-2013, 09:11 PM
I am so amazed at how well this plan is working for me. After eating 11 weekly pts yesterday, I was down another .6 lbs this morning. I looked back to see what I weighed when I went to the doctor in August and I weighed 233.4 so I'm already 2 lbs below that. I thought I was 231 back then. So I am thrilled to already be lower. I started tracking DH with WW pts today. I've been working on marking boxes etc how many pts are in the foods he eats per serving. We had a really good lunch today. I made a recicpe for cod fish and potatoes out of the new WW magazine. I had to make shift some spices and used regular potatoes rather than gold because that is what I had, but the whole recipe was only 5 pts. I added a salad, our daily serving of milk and we have WW ice cream bars. I only eat the ones for 1 pt. His are 1 to 4 pts depending on flavor and servings. Should be ok for him as he doesn't eat breakfast. He usually only has about 2 pts of fruit when he gets up.

Rennie - I like the Polaner jam too, but the last time I ate it, I found that it caused my bs to rise too high. Could have been something else I ate but can't remember what else I ate that day. I think I was using a different bread back then not sure. Glad you can handle it. The coconut oil doesn't really have much of a taste that I can tell. Doesn't taste like coconut. I use it because I heard it would lower triglycerides. I decided to see if it works and mine were down when I had my last blood work done in August. So I have kept it. I don't use a whole Tbs like they said in my coffee, but I do use it more than butter and other oils now. Congratulations on you weight loss.

Fatmad Sorry about the sugar in the apple crisp. I hate it when something like that happens to me. But it probably won't hurt as long as it doesn't cause a craving. Good to see you posting again. Thanks for the encouragement. Now that I have such a good plan that works for me, I will stick with it. Getting DH to do it with me will be a big help too.

Ruthie Glad you are feeling better. You might be able to work your Goldfish crackers into you plan so that it doesn't derail you. Just a suggestion because you know your plan better than I do. My little Grandson loves Goldfish crackers. He has had the chickenpox (even though he had the shot is in 1% who get it any way). His Mom text me and told me he wouldn't eat anything but Goldfish crackers and asked if it was ok. I told her that he has to eat... it was ok to spoil him but she would have a problem when he is well. LOL Good to see you here too.

Carol Sue I am not using the newer WW plan. I am using the original Points Plus of 2009. My calculator says 29 daily pts and 35 weekly. Most of the threads on sites I went to, I find this is what they are doing as well. In fact, I asked one of the 3fc threads if I needed to join on line and get the newer info and they said I could just use the one I have. I really don't want to join or spend the money for a new one. I had 1/2 banana this morning with breakfast and did fine. I haven't had an apple again, but I seem to have done better eating it earlier in the day with a meal too. So I may be able to have the 2 servings allowed for diabetics, however, at this point I know I can have 1.

Jo Jump in and tell us about yourself and how you are doing.

fatmad
10-18-2013, 09:30 AM
Carol Sue:
I think its great you are looking into these books. A lot of our problems with weight are behavioural, not to do with the diet plans we try (and often don't) to follow. No matter what plan we are following, we expect the plan to be complete and leave us with no cravings, no hunger, no wants.
For my part, is it my own failure to follow plan that messes me up, not the diet plan. Truly, and plan will work over time, but time is the trouble, we want to go back to "normal" which is overeating, eating too much of a good thing, or too many treats etc.
I think the real answer does lie in behaviour modification. However we accomplish this doesn't matter. I have tried meditation as this fits with my buddhist philosophy, but it didn't help. Nor did self hypnosis. For some obscure reason, addiction attitudes are helping, and I hope to stay on track with that. If someone else finds meditation and hypnosis helpful, I am all for it.
I will try to find the book about addiction you mentioned.

I didn't get a lot of cravings after the apple crisp, and ate a reasonable supper and went straight to bed at 9 pm, and slept until 5. Went back to bed for an hour at 7, and am up and breakfasted and doing ok, except for some joint pain. (officially now have arthritis in my hands)
So off to work and plan to eat right again today.
have a good day friends

pattygirl63
10-18-2013, 12:54 PM
Fatmad So glad the apple crisp didn't cause you any problems. And then having a reasonable supper is a good example of how we should always handle situations like this so that we don't get derailed, but stay on track. I agree that lot of our problems with weight are behavioural at least for me.

I remember my doctor telling me that ANY DIET WILL WORK. He said the KEY is finding the one you can live with for the rest of your life. I know in times past that I have not given a plan enough time to work for me. When I hit a bump in the road, I would decide it wasn't working and give up on it. Our pastor spoke to us one Sunday about taking our faults and turning them into a positive so that they work for us. So now I take the things that have a tendency to derail me and use them to keep me on track.

Example, I know that I'm going to weigh everyday because that is JUST ME. I bought graph paper notebook when school supplies were on sale. I take a page for each month. I use the graph to watch how the weight moves each day. Now that I have the digital scale that reads to .2, I almost always see it move. Sometimes it will go up, but it is mostly going down. I hate journaling and tracking pts as y'all all know. Now doing WW, I use the pts counting along with the graph to see how things I eat affect me and decide if I want to keep them or not. This is what I call PERSONALIZING my plan for me.

Well, I had a temporary 1.8 lb up today. As I said above tracking helps me to know where I got the sodium as I know that is what it is. I stopped drinking diet drinks probably about a year ago now one because I switched to using Stevia because it is supposed to be safe and because I can't handle the sodium and citric acid in them. I still had two left here so I decided to drink one last night. I knew I was going to have a gain when I got up and my wedding ring was tight. So no more diet drinks and I'll drink more water and watch the salt today. I should be back down tomorrow.

I was reading WW info on 3fc thread last night and the weekly pts on the Points Plus is 49 pts not 35. So I am doing a lot better pts this week than I even thought.

Hope everyone will be able to find what plan works for them. My advice is keep doing what you know to do while searching. JUST DON'T GIVE UP. There is a plan out there that will work for you. It is worth the search.

Now I'm going to search my WW cookbooks for a chicken recipe. If I'm going to keep DH doing this, I'll have to make it interesting and he is a picky eater. LOL

Have a great day.

Wannabehealthy
10-18-2013, 01:34 PM
Trish - When they changed from the old points plan to the new one, they changed the points value for most foods. Be sure you are using the points values for the right plan. You probably are, because you are losing. I did the old plan too, and I had the points calculator, but when I went last year it had changed and I had to buy a new calculator. That made me mad that they seem to change things so they can charge more money, but it IS a business, and businesses have to make money.

Mad - I'm glad you understand why I am reading self help books instead of diet books. I am 1/3 through "From The First Bite." At first I didn't like it, but as I read on I am learning a lot. There are many different forms of food addiction, some apply to me and some don't. It's not always a food trigger or binging, but in some cases, portion control. For example, I was never one of those people who binge on a whole gallon of ice cream, or eat a whole cake. But I do have the problem that I will plan on eating half of my sandwich, but then end up eating the rest instead of saving it for tomorrow's lunch. Then I feel miserable both physically and mentally. The whole book focuses on the importance of discipline. There's so much more than I can't post it all here. It is supposed to go on and tell you how to manage these issues successfully. One thing they tell you to do is to plan ahead what you are going to eat, use a food scale and measuring cup, and stick to your plan explicitly. It even said to take your scale and measuring cup into a restaurant! I am NOT going to do that. LOL As in OA, it encourages you to be accountable to a sponsor, which I am also not going to do. But it's giving me insight into some of my own problems, and they are some of the things I suspected, but am surprised to know that other people have these same problems.

It also says not to wait until you finish the book, or are ready, or wait until Monday, or next month....start right now. I haven't done that. I am still processing the information and still don't know if this is going to be a turning point for me, but at least I'm learning things.

My BS is still too high and I have not been on the scale for a few days.

Good luck to everyone!

love2b150
10-18-2013, 02:18 PM
Good afternoon, the scale was up a pund this morning to 185.6 no worries though. I was on point and didn't get enough sleep. I had to be at work earlier than usual this morning and a lot to do in my mornings so I had all of that going through my head. I'm alittle tired but I'll catch up on rest this weekend. Fbs was lower than yesterday at 137 so that made me smile.

I hope you all are having a nice day :hug:,

Ruthxxx
10-18-2013, 05:39 PM
Oh dear! My friend Barb, who goes for a hip replacement Monday, invited me to her house for lunch - a sort of pre-op celebration. Her DH, a Maritimer, made wonderful fish and chips. ** Sigh ** I skipped dessert and will have stir fried Oriental veggies for supper with tofu.

pattygirl63
10-18-2013, 06:00 PM
Rennie 137 FBS is great. Your plan is working for you. I wouldn't worry about 1 lb up. My doc says he never worries if my weigh is up by 1 or 2 lbs because that can be because he said "You didn't go to the bathroom yet". You've started eating fiber and I did the same thing at first, but then as my body adjusted to the fiber the weight started coming down. Just like this morning the scales were up by 1.8 lbs. which I attributed to the sodium in the diet soda. I've already been to the bathroom so much today that I'm sure it will be back down tomorrow. Also you didn't get enough rest and that throws my weight off sometimes. You are doing great so keep up the good work.

Carol Sue I have the newer plan. In fact, I had both but misplaced the slider I used in the old one which I really liked. The counts were lower, but it is good to have the newer one. I'm happy with it. I was in OA for a number of years myself and even started a group in my home when I lived in south Tx. I quit because I came to believe our words negative or positive affect our lives. I didn't like confessing "I'm a Compulsive Overeater". Never thought about it until one day my then SIL asked me why I said that and I explained it to her. We spent a lot of time together and she said "You aren't a Compulsive Overeater". I do believe I was addicted to some foods. The only time I crave or would have a tendency to binge on sweets is when my blood sugar is out of whack. I think that is because growing up my Mama we had plenty of sweets to the point I got tired of them. On the other hand I could sit down with a family size of potato chips and eat the whole bag in one sitting. I actually would have rather had that than a meal. For years I wouldn't even bring them in the house. Now I can eat them without any problem and count the points. Costco sales boxes of the 1 oz individual servings which I buy and have no problem with. I still can't buy the big bags and weigh them out because, I am afraid I'll find it too easy to go back and weigh out another oz. At 4 pts an ounce, I don't want the temptation around. The individual bags work well for DH and DGS because they have the same problem I did with them. Since I still eat Intuitively eating what I like, I don't have any food I cannot eat and I like the treat from time to time and this is the best way for me to do it.

I too am learning the discipline of portion control that is why I chose WW as a guide. I weigh and measure a lot of things especially now that DH and I are doing this together and I'm working to create meals similar to those that we like to eat at restaurants, but since I'm controlling the ingredients they are WW friendly and I have to figure out the pts count. I'm actually having FUN doing this which makes it much easier to stay OP.

Got to go ride my bike and get my 2 miles in for today. Have good one!!

Wannabehealthy
10-18-2013, 08:39 PM
Trish, I am almost finished with this book and I just started it yesterday. It is holding my interest and I am learning a lot about food addiction. It makes a lot of very good points about things I have never thought of before. But I have learned that I am not a Compulsive Overeater, nor an emotional eater, nor a binge eater. But I do have a food addiction when it comes to volume. I have come to the conclusion that I need to stop eating when I'm satisfied and throw away what's left. Down the garbage disposal where I can't recover it. I start out with good intentions, but when there's leftovers I have a very hard time not going back and finishing them, even though I am no longer hungry. This is going to be very interesting. This goes against 67 years of not wasting food. Wish me luck!!!

pattygirl63
10-19-2013, 10:33 AM
Found out last night that DH doesn't really like rice or potatoes. He has never said much about what carby foods he likes and doesn't like. Of course, he always says he doesn't eat bread, but I wonder what he thinks pizza and cheeseburgers are made with. :dizzy: Any way that helps me loads as I continue to tweak our eating plan, because that will help me keep our carbs down and under control.

I suddenly realized this morning that I really enjoy my eggs and bacon with a little bit of mozzarella cheese and without toast. So will go back to eating without it. Hope it doesn't mess up my regularity. I still like eating more low carb foods rather than higher and I'm thinking that I can still do that with WW PP. I'm not going to rule out all carby foods for good because that will only set me up for failure or something always comes up when you want something different especially when eating out. Fatmad's experience with the apple crisp that was made with sugar proves that if we would eat ignore it and continue our plan at the next meal or snack that it would NOT derail us or cause us to have cravings.

I might check into the more Simply Filling/Core way of WW. Years ago before they changed the plans to Simply Filling and Momentum, any of us in WW did a Flex/Core combo and we did great on it so I just may be able to do something like that now. DH and I both do have our favorite more carby veggies like corn and green peas so I can leave room for that but stay away from potatoes and bread except on rare occasions or might even have a Carbohydrate Addicts Diet day. I know I'm not going to eat Atkins low, but I will never go back to eating high count carbs on a regular basis either because I know the benefits of the lower carb. However, I think the big problem I had with Atkins is that I didn't have portion control on protein. Psychologically Atkins would never work for me. I think I've learned a lot about myself in the past few months.

Didn't really pay attention to weight this morning which is up a tad, because I went to bed late and got up early. If I don't get 8 hrs sleep, I don't get an accurate reading. No big deal as tomorrow is my WI day.

Have a great weekend Everybody.

Wannabehealthy
10-19-2013, 12:31 PM
I am down 2 lbs this morning. I'm back to 200, so I am 1 lb away from my ticker. I thought I did good yesterday and I guess I was right.

Trish, my husband doesn't eat much bread or rice, but he is addicted to potatoes. I can make potatoes for him and not eat any, just eat my meat and veggies so that is not a problem. He eats a lot of baked good, but since I don't like sweets, they don't bother me either.

Today I checked 2 stores for Natures Own Double Fiber bread and neither of them had it. One store had a space for it but it was empty. The other store had every Natures' Own except the Double Fiber. I'm thinking that maybe the distributor in our area is having a shortage. My DIL is going to look for it out her way. I wanted to check the nutritional info between that and the Nickles 35 bread that I buy. I looked it up online and here is the difference.

Natures Nickles
cal 50 - 35
fat .5 - 0
sod 135 - 90
carb 13 - 8
fiber 5 - 2
sugar 1 - 1
prot 3 - 2

(When I'm typing, these numbers line up in nice straight columns but when I save the post they show up all goofy.)

Neither of them have HFCS. The slices of Nickles 35 Multigrain are small and thin so it's understandable that all numbers would be lower. The thing I like about the Nickles is if I use 2 slces for a sandwich, it is much lower for 2 slices than other normal size slices of bread, but either way, the Natures Own comes out higher for fiber. But is it higher comparig oz or gms. I will look again and see if I can find oz or gm per slice.

Ok. Nature's own is 28 gm per slice and And Nickles is 20 gm. I would really like to try the Nature's Own, but if it never shows up in my area I am very comfortable with the Nickles 35 Multigrain.

love2b150
10-19-2013, 05:08 PM
Thanks Trish, I worry about sodium in the evenings also. If I drink a soda it's always coke zero, I like the flavor. :) This GOOD way of eating really keeps me thinking (on my toes). I'm proud of me so far :) I found out that I can't eat eggs everyday. The smell makes me want to gag. And I realized on last Saturday that I no longer care for scrambled eggs. Which is weird for me because I use to cook them just because and devour them, :D and I CAN eat LeSueur green peas everyday. I LOVE LOVE LOVE them. Haven't had any in awhile though. My husband is a fried chicken and rice nu. He will eat that meal everyday, if someone cooks it. If no dinner, he will eat ice cream, cookies or chips, smh. What a big kid :D He says it takes too long to make a pb&j so he just grabs something. The kids laugh because he spreads the peanut butter and jam really slow like they are delicate creatures (what difference does it make, you're gonna bite them) ok that makes up smile/laugh.

On portion control. I've been good at weighing and measuring for a good while so I don't worry there as long as I prepared it. And after weighing and measuring for so long, I know how much is supposed to be on my plate. And even with the right portions I find that I often say, I'm done and have to save the rest till tomorrow, unless it's a salad. That's nasty :D

Carol Sue, good job on the 2lbs :high:

I am still at the 185.6 again today. No loss but no gain either ;) TOM is trying to come through, that could be a week from now for it to actually come. So between the lack of sleep and that, I'm sure that's were the pound is. But I'm ok because I am OP and not in the 190's :woohoo:

Wannabehealthy
10-20-2013, 08:04 PM
I finally found the Natures Own double fiber bread today, at, of all places, Target. I was there for something else and just looked at bread on a chance they would have it. I had 1 piece today and it was good. I like that the texture is a little grainy, not mushy like white bread. I think I like the taste and texture of it the same as the Nickles 35, and the Nickles is fewer calories etc. But I will put this bread in my freezer and finish it before I buy any of the Nickles. My DIL saw a different double fiber bread I want to check out, I think it was Pepperidge Farm.

I slept pretty good last night. I remember waking up at 7:15 but I must have fallen back into a really deep sleep because when I got up at 8:30 my husband had gone out and brought breakfast from McDonalds. It's very unusual for me to sleep through the auto-garage door opener....twice, going and coming. I felt really good when I got up.

pattygirl63
10-21-2013, 12:41 PM
I just wanted to let y'all know that I have finally found a very active CAD/CALP group on another site and will be moving to that group. I've been trying to get back on that way of eating and kind of doing it for the past few weeks combining it with other plans. I've been conversing with a RN on one site who is losing this way and she has been helping me to understand why my body likes this way of eating. Then yesterday I decided to check another site where I posted when I did this once before. It kind of slowed down to where there just wasn't anything happening then, but they are very active now and I found the RN posting there and she shared her qualifications and why she knows so much about how this works. They have many who have successfully lost weight with CAD/CALP and now have normal blood sugar. I need to be with others that are doing this and understand why and what I'm doing it

CAD is the way I lost 80 lbs about 10 yrs ago. I like the fact that this gives me control of my insulin surges. It also allows me to choose whether I eat one time a day the RM (Reward Meal) and 1 or 2 CM (Craving-Reducing Meal) and whether I want CM snacks or not and I can eat them only when I am hungry and not at a set time. This is similar to Intuitive Eating which is my favorite way to eat. Actually, this is exactly the way I ate when I was growing up before we had the names Intuitive Eating and Carbohydrate Addicts Diets. That makes me wonder why I ever stopped eating this way when I lost the weight on it 10 yrs ago, but I think it is because I saw it as a diet. I guess that is why I love Intuitive Eating because IE teaches you to stop thinking "diet" and just eat what you really want when hungry not what you think you should eat... savor every bite and stop eating when you are satisfied and you will lose weight. There is a young woman on 3fc IE thread who has not only lost weight doing IE, but she gone below her goal. The interesting thing is that this was normal eating for me until everyone started telling me how I had to eat. When I started eating "normal" 3 meals a day, I gained weight and then the yo-yo dieting became a lifestyle. It has taken me a long time to learn that since CAD/CALP is the way I ate as a child, a teenager and the few years I was thin without trying to lose it, then this is NOT a diet for me but it is the way my body likes to eat because it is NORMAL for me. Realizing this has taken away the stress of trying to do another diet for me and I feel free. In fact, I'm sitting here enjoying my morning coffee... no breakfast. Similar to an Intermittent Fasting day today trying to decide what I'm going to cook today for our main meal my RM because I have to feed DH this afternoon between 2 and 3. Before today I would have so many ideas of what I wanted to eat today because diets tell me to plan ahead and I have to eat x# meals/snacks from a certain list. Strange thing is that I have absolutely no idea what we are going to have because #1 I'm not hungry and #2 nothing sounds good. I remember that feeling when I was thin and as a kid and I have to tell you that I AM LOVING IT. DH may have to make the decision today. I won't eat until I'm actually hungry.

I know the WL may be slow this way since I'm 10 yrs older doing this, but the nice thing is that my FBS was down to 167 this morning and both are coming down steadily.

I'm sharing this because I think the reason I've had a difficult time getting on some "diet" and staying with it was because they didn't fit me and my body didn't like them. People need to find what works for them and forget what diets or other people tell the to do. This really is a PERSONAL thing. That is why we need to be patient with people while they are searching and learning what works for them. As the old saying goes, ONE SIZE DOESN'T FIT ALL!!! is soooo true.

fatmad
10-21-2013, 07:39 PM
Trish, we will miss you if you aren't here regularly, but wish you the best, and I hope this eating method will work for you long term, since its what you want.
:hug:
I "fell of the wagon" yesterday, having sandwiches and pie at a child's birthday party, and then had some triscuit crackers with cheese later on. I cut myself off successfully at some point, though, and have been on plan today, so I hope at worst for the wheat and all the fibre, (nice whole grain organic bread for the sandwiches) is that my bowels move nicely. (sorry if TMI, )
I haven't weighed in a couple of days, have been working a lot and through the nights, which messes up weights, so will wait until tomorrow am at the earliest, or maybe Wednesday to check the weight again.
Have a good week sisters, and check in!

Wannabehealthy
10-22-2013, 12:44 PM
Sorry to see you go Trish, but you have to do what's right for you. I hope the new forum helps you stay on track.

I am learning that the best plan for me is to eat all things in moderation. I know I need to control the AMOUNT of food I'm eating. Not counting calories, fat, carbs, just eating the amount of food necessary for my body to work the way it's supposed to. Like you with CAD/CALP, I did this sucessfully before and I can and will do it again.

Each of us has to decide what plan works for us, and then practice our plan.

fatmad
10-22-2013, 09:01 PM
Have been able to get back on track without too much of a problem.
After Sunday, I made sure to make some food for me for the next few days. DId a broccoli and chicken stir fry with sechuan peanut sauce, and some of my nut cake for "toast" for breakfasts.
It was a really busy weekend, with some sleep loss, so sticking to plan is harder then, so I am pleased to only have had one off day out of that.
Carol Sue: I hope this works for you, Sounds like intuitive eating. Along with sticking to plan I have reduced portions successfully and am quite happy with results.
Off we go together, may the pounds melt away.

Wannabehealthy
10-22-2013, 09:55 PM
Have been able to get back on track without too much of a problem.
After Sunday, I made sure to make some food for me for the next few days. DId a broccoli and chicken stir fry with sechuan peanut sauce, and some of my nut cake for "toast" for breakfasts.
It was a really busy weekend, with some sleep loss, so sticking to plan is harder then, so I am pleased to only have had one off day out of that.
Carol Sue: I hope this works for you, Sounds like intuitive eating. Along with sticking to plan I have reduced portions successfully and am quite happy with results.
Off we go together, may the pounds melt away.

You seem to be doing very well, Mad. Being able to get back on track is important no matter what plan you follow. Sometimes falling off the wagon can go on and on for weeks.

It sounds like you have a busy life, and that can effect you different ways. Either you can be too busy to think about food, or you're too busy to plan your meals and you tend to grab what's there. Preparing dishes in advance the way you do is a good idea.

I guess I was doing intuitive eating before I even heard of it. That's the way I lost weight the first time years ago before I even knew how to diet, but just cutting back on everything. I am doing what I did when I quit smoking. I went cold turkey. Every time I wanted a cigarette, and it seemed like that was every 15 minutes, I just told myself NO! and did something else. Eventually, I didn't even think about it. I am doing that with food. Most of my eating is just picking at things because they are there. I just tell myself "NO!" and move on. I am not fasting. I know I am eating enough healthy food at my meals to give my body what it needs, all the while, being concious of starchy carbs because of my diabetes. I just need to put on my big girl pants and be in charge!

Wannabehealthy
10-23-2013, 12:09 PM
I just got a notification from the library that my last book is ready for pick-up. It is written by Michelle May, who wrote Am I Hungry and Eat What You Love, Love What You Eat. This new book is Eat What You Love, Love What You Eat for Diabetics. I am really curious to see what she has to say. With the other books I read, there was information that I didn't feel apply to me, but the information I did get is helping me tremendously. It has been 4 days and I have never eaten beyond being satisfied. I have said NO to impulse eating most times and hope to become stronger with this as time goes on. I feel so much better now that I don't feel stuffed. This has always been my problem and I feel that the longer I'm able to maintain this, the more it will become a lifestyle change that has been a long time coming. I have not been on the scale since I started this. I know that it's possible that I have not lost and I don't want that to discourage me. Once this behavior becomes second nature, I will concentrate more on losing weight. Right now, I am concentrating on changing the eating habits. The only starchy carbs I have had these 4 days has been the double fiber bread. I think the starchy carbs contributed to the stuffed feeling, as well.

I know it isn't much, but this is the biggest change I have been able to sustain in a very long time, and I'm extremely happy about it. I just want to do it for today, I'll worry about tomorrow, tomorrow.

I was on the verge of calling my DR and requesting more diabetes meds, but now I am going to take a "wait and see" attitude and see if these dietary changes make a difference. It seems that once they get you on those meds they never want to let you get off them.

fatmad
10-23-2013, 11:40 PM
Carol sue, thanks for your support. Definitely seem to be doing better this time. Weight is static right now. I would really like to be down more for my 52nd birthday in November.
Stayed on plan nicely today. No bread with my cabbage rolls at lunch, and DH made a nice pot roast for supper. Will keep on tomorrow:carrot:

Have a good night friends.

Wannabehealthy
10-24-2013, 12:53 PM
Carol sue, thanks for your support. Definitely seem to be doing better this time. Weight is static right now. I would really like to be down more for my 52nd birthday in November.
Stayed on plan nicely today. No bread with my cabbage rolls at lunch, and DH made a nice pot roast for supper. Will keep on tomorrow:carrot:

Have a good night friends.

Mad, every day that you keep the carbs under control you are one day closer to changing the behavior. That is our goal. Keep telling yourself that every time you are tempted to eat the bread. I hope you lose a few pounds in time for your birthday. It will make you feel happier. But just remember, even if you don't, by keeping the carbs under control you will be healthier!

Yesterday I made a new banana bread recipe. I normally don't eat sweets and I never crave them, but since this was a new recipe that was highly recommended to me, I wanted to taste it, so I ate a slice. I don't consider this as "falling off the wagon" because it was intentional, for a reason, and controlled. I did not have any other carbs yesterday because I knew I had had the banana bread. By the way, it was delicious! My husband has to have some sort of baked goods in the house every day and I do bake for him, but I just thank God that it's so easy for me to resist.

My food issue has always been second helpings, not junk food. It feels so good to know what the problem is and that it is within my control to correct it.

pattygirl63
10-25-2013, 06:19 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm doing great on the CAD way of eating. My fbs was down to 151 this morning. Weight loss is going down slowly, bouncing, but that is me and actually the way CAD works so I gather this is why they have us weigh daily and average at the end of the week. WL may be slow, but that is okay as long as I'm getting healthier and the fbs and bp readings each day are really good.

I told y'all I was reading and learning info from another website. I decided since all of us who do some sort of low carb run into issues. I decided to share with y'all some of what I've read so maybe it can help y'all with some of the issues or problems you run into too. So this below are some things I thought would be helpful with some of the struggles you have had just as I have had. I am eating the RM once a day and my hour RM is almost always only 45 minutes. This might give you an idea of why your having stalls or why you have cravings even when you feel like you've done everything you think you are supposed to be thinking. Have a nice weekend everybody.

Below is a letter from Drs. Heller regarding the use of artificial
sweeteners (AS), read it carefully as it contains important information.
...We strongly advise not to use AS and want you to know
the reason for it.

This is a very important post that we want to get it into the hands
of all list members. Please read it through and understand how vital
we feel it is to your success and freedom. If, as you read this, our
words may seem a little harsh to you, please understand it is because
we care and we don't want anyone or anything to guide you down the
wrong path.

We want you to be able to trust that the information you find on the
list is as accurate as possible. Too often the truth gets distorted
and changed, often unintentionally, as it is repeated from one person
to another - a sort of carbohydrate addict's "telephone game" where
the message that was written in the book can be very different from
the one that is communicated. Sometimes we want to believe something
is true, even though it is not.

So please keep the following basic concept in mind; it is the very
reason why our programs work:

Our programs reduce the amount of insulin your body releases
throughout the day by reducing the number of times, each day, your
body takes in carbohydrate-rich foods and carbohydrate-act-alikes.

Carbohydrate-act-alikes include MSG, artificial sweeteners, and *all
foods or drinks that are perceived of by the body as tasting sweet or
containing carbohydrates.* Both carbohydrate-rich foods and
carbohydrate-act-alikes will cause a surge of insulin that, for
carbohydrate addicts, is often several times that of a non-addicted
person.

It is *not* the carbohydrate-rich foods that are the problem for the
carbohydrate addict but, rather, the inappropriately high surge of
insulin these foods cause too many times each day.

It is absolutely essential to understand that carbohydrate-act-alikes
cause the same insulin surge as do carbohydrate-rich foods. If you
include carbohydrate-act alikes in low-carbo meals, their effect can
be as destructive to your program as it would be to include
high-carbohydrate foods in these meals.

Many people will tell you that it is okay to eat
carbohydrate-act-alikes such as "protein powders,"
artificially-sweetened foods or beverages (including "low carbo"
pastries, cheesecakes, cookies and the like), or artificial
sweeteners - all at low-carbo meals. Some may try and convince these
foods are okay because they contain four or fewer carbohydrate grams
per average serving.

Our work with thousands of people has proven that consuming these
foods and beverages at low-carbo (CM) meals will almost surely to
lead to failure.

The failure may not come right away. You may not notice any real
change in cravings at first but changes may slowly and insidiously
creep into your thinking so that you begin to get more and more
sloppy with your program. You may be tempted to add "just a little"
cream or milk to a recipe (without giving up your coffee cream in its
place). Or you may linger over your coffee or have it with artificial
sweetener or have it more than once a day. Or you may find that your
weight loss has stalled and wonder why you have hit a "plateau." You
may become very lazy about checking labels or a little too excited
about another "no-sugar" or "low-carbohydrate" recipe. You may begin
to carbo drift more and more at your Reward Meal(R) and little by
little you will lose the integrity of your program. Soon you may not
even recognize that you are no longer on your program and you will
wonder why it doesn't seem to work as well any more.

Sadly, now, the one program that may have offered you freedom and
success for life will have been lost because of false promises that
once again have lured you into spending your money to feed your
addiction.

Don't believe the Protein Powder Promise. Flavored powders, coffees,
teas, artificially-sweetened foods, drinks, or such ingredients can
all cause your insulin to surge and, in the end, all of the wonderful
benefits of this program will be lost. And you will have traded away
your freedom for but another false promise of "having your cake and
dieting too."

Remember: If it tastes like a sweet to you, your body thinks its a
sweet too. If your body thinks its a sweet, it will release insulin.
There is no way around it. You simply can't eat sweet-tasting things
at low-carbo meals without releasing insulin and, sooner or later,
your cravings, your weight, and your addiction will engulf you once
again.

Recently, one of our readers wrote us a wonderful letter. "It's so
good to be back," she began, explaining that her journey into the
world of artificially-sweetened goodies had gradually pulled her off
her program and slowed her weight loss to the point where she thought
the program wasn't working anymore. Now, having removed these
carbohydrate-act-alikes from her low-carbo meals (we prefer you eat
naturally-sweetened foods to artificially-sweetened foods at Reward
Meals(R) as well) she had rediscovered her lack of cravings and an
easy and steady weight loss as well. Her new motto, she explained was
"Don't accept imitations," then she added, "If it is not real,
regular food, I stay away from it. The promises those foods offer
are as phony as their ingredients."

So don't count carbo grams* and don't look for magic goodies that
promise they won't add pounds or cause cravings because they are "low
carbo" or "sugar free." This program works when you eat real food
from the lists we have provided in our books. Earlier books contained
"allowable" foods that we discovered, over time, caused cravings or
slowed weight loss. Along with artificial sweeteners and foods with
MSG, we have removed these foods along with squash and zucchini (to
name a few) from our updated low-carbo lists. We will continue to
pass on any new changes as we test them but for the time being, if
you are in doubt, post your food question to the group or consult a
more recent book such as CAHHP.

Last thought: You will probably hear some CA's say that each CA
should find the right program for him/herself; that one size does not
fit all; that sensitivities differ. On one level that is absolutely
true but only within certain limitations. We have *never* worked with
a carbohydrate addict who could eat artificially sweetened pastries,
cookies, and drinks without showing telltale signs of insulin changes
that inevitably led to cravings or a weight-loss plateau (or weight
gain). In the end, they inevitably came face to face with losing
their program for good. They may tell you that they can eat these
foods without encountering any problems, but sooner or later, they
will face these difficulties though they may never tell you.

So don't be fooled by false promises. Haven't we been doing that all
our lives? If you have found a program that works for you, hold onto
it with both hands and don't let go.

Add... the original CAD came out in 1991. They continued to study it and hence the changes in the update version CALP which they published in 1997. They found that "some" people had insulin surges with the SF stuff and why they no longer recommend it for Carbohydrate Addicts (ie Insulin Resistant/ pre-diabetics). Just like with brocoli, caffeine, and some other foods, you may or may not get an insulin surge off of it, or over time develop IR to that item so you have to watch your symptoms: getting hungry, thinking about food or certain foods (carbs), getting sleepy after eating, getting hungry again shortly after eating, stalled weight loss or actual gain. These are all signs of surges of insulin and you need to keep track of what might have been the trigger.

Yes, you can eat up to 4 times a day if needed. You will have days (trust me) where you are totally not even hungry! Also, meals should be spaced out... do not end up "grazing" just because you can eat the 3 meals and a snack. I observe the 1 hour rule at all meals, and try to wait 2-4 hours between meals. Otherwise if you eat too close, you get the bigger surge of insulin. This diet has to do with being Insulin Resistant and minimizing insulin release. It is not about the calories, just tricking your body into releasing less insulin. You just hold back on carbs most of the day and can eat them later and it works!

fatmad
10-25-2013, 10:35 PM
weight up a bit after wine with supper last night, out with friends we haven't seen in ages, and DD came along, allowing her mother to buy her a steak dinner. assume it will be down again when the water goes out.
Today was good again.

Wannabehealthy
10-26-2013, 11:04 AM
Mad-I think you are doing good! Everyone has fluctuations on the scale. I read through the forum and also some other forums and even the strictest eaters have fluctuations and set backs. Some have even gained back larger quantities of weight. Some go for long periods of time without a loss and then all of a sudden they get a whoosh. It is never a steady downward trend for anyone. Look at the big picture. Overall, you are doing well!

I'm surprised that the wine made you gain. I rarely drink any alcohol, but recently have been thinking of having a small glass before bed because it is said to lower BG levels. I still might try it, but probably as a last resort. I usually only have a glass of wine in social settings, mostly a family holiday gathering. I don't want to break one habit just to add another.

Since you are still working, you have different temptations than I have. When I worked, I was always hitting the snack machine several times a day. I wore a lab coat with large pockets and always had a bag of chips, or Cheezit's, pretzels, and sometimes chocolate in my pocket and nibbled throughout the day. Amazingly, my FBS was running in the 120's and my A1c was 6.5. When I retired, I thought I would lose weight along with saving money because those foods are rarely in my house. Apparently I just changed what I snack on, because I continued to graze throughout the day, just on different things. Also, and this doesn't make sense, I was exercising less after I retired! I blame that on recovering from my surgeries. Because of all this, my FBS and A1c have risen to dangerous levels. I am now attempting to lower them.

Trish - Good to hear from you. The Hellers definately have a good plan. My problem was that I could not limit my RM to only dinner and they said the RM has to be the same meal every day. This past week I have been working on limiting my eating to meals only....no in between eating. I am learning to feel what hunger feels like instead of grazing throughout the day. I really believe that my problems stem more from my constant eating. Like you, my FBS that had been running around 200 are now down into the 150's. Also, not eating between meals is helping my BS drop between meals, when before, it never had a chance to go down. I am having success limiting my carbs, and I will say that this past week, they were always eaten at dinner. But it just worked out that way, it was not something I did intentionally and I am sure that the time will come when I eat the carbs at lunch instead of dinner. Sometimes I am not hungry at lunch time so I just skip it. But if there comes a day that I want a sandwich for lunch, I will eat it, and then have a carb free dinner.

I am eating whole foods...meat, fish, eggs, vegetables...very little processed food. I have never been one to use protein shakes or any other supplements because I don't want anything to interfere with all the meds I'm on. The only SF products I use are Halls SF Cough Drops, and there is no alternative.

I guess what I'm doing is a cross between CAD and IE. But it's more of a modified CAD, and if that's a bad thing, so be it. I know that you are a staunch supporter of this WOE and I respect that. I support you all the way in your effort. That's the purpose of posting on the forum, to support each other in whatever efforts we are making. Like you said "There is no One Size Fits All."

Rennie - Ruth - Where are you?

Have a good weekend everyone!

pattygirl63
10-26-2013, 01:36 PM
Carol Sue I'm not doing CAD by the book either. I found on the other website that the people that are making it work for them they are doing Modified forms of CAD/CALP. Some do one meal a day, some 3, or some 3 and snacks. It seems the key is learning to make it work for each of us individually. I even read of one woman who was losing weight on 2 low carb meals and 2 RM a day. So this is definitely an individual thing of what works for each person.

I also love IE and IF. I've learned that I cannot eat anything after dinner and no nighttime eating/snacking. I eat breakfast when I am hungry for it and it is usually my favorite 2 eggs with cheese melted on them and 2 sl bacon. However, like today when I wasn't hungry I didn't eat it because I don't think I have to eat when I'm not hungry. I eat my RM usually around 2, but not worried if I decide to have it at dinnertime which I eat sometime between 5 and 7. But seldom ever after 7.

I've decided that I can read and learn from others, but I don't want to leave this thread. I think we all can help each other. We all learn from each other and maybe we can learn together how to make our individual plans work for us and share it so others can do the same.

We all know the benefits of low carb and we all seem to have a tendency to want to eat that way. However, there are times whether by choice or by situations beyond our control we end up eating carbs that are not considered low carb. But what if we could make them both work for us.

I remember reading Dana Carpendar's book "How I Gave Up My Low Fat Diet and Lost Forty Pounds". She ate strict low carb, but on special /holidays of her choosing when she would decide to have a planned carby meal. Knowing her story and the Heller's story and scientific info and how people have made it work, I think we can take the best of them and make a livable plan that we can live with.

As diabetics we have to control our insulin surges so we can have normal fbs readings. I will use me as an example and how I plan to do this. Some foods/drinks cause me problems that don't bother y'all and vice versa.

I am going to be eating Intuitively, but I choose to do it mostly low carb except for those meals when I desire to have a RM which I would rather just call a carby meal. I don't like calling it a reward because I think that is making think of it as more than just a meal. There may be days that I don't want a carby meal and I'll have only a low carb a day. Therefore there are no off plan days. I am aware that maybe everyone cannot do that, but I honestly believe that it can and I can do it as a combination of IE/IF.

Fatmad and Ruth I'm wondering if doing your low carb eating the way Dana did wouldn't help you. It kind of takes away the guilt and helps you stay OP. Just a suggestion.

I'll let you know how this goes.

fatmad
10-26-2013, 04:46 PM
thanks trish, I haven't read the carpender book, though I have one of her cookbooks. May be helpful. Weight back down to 180 now as expected. Am sticking to plan ok without issues for now.

My biggest issue right now is motivating myself to move. Thinking about it, but that doesn't make exercise happen.

pattygirl63
10-27-2013, 12:10 AM
thanks trish, I haven't read the carpender book, though I have one of her cookbooks. May be helpful. Weight back down to 180 now as expected. Am sticking to plan ok without issues for now.

My biggest issue right now is motivating myself to move. Thinking about it, but that doesn't make exercise happen.

I knew your weight would come back down. We know that weight fluctuates sometime, but it isn't easy all the time when it does. You are doing good getting back on plan. I didn't exercise much this past week and I know that is not wise. I really have to get back to it this coming week. I haven't felt like it and that is no excuse because I know the exercise makes me feel better.

Wannabehealthy
10-27-2013, 01:19 AM
I have found that exercise is a really big factor for my blood sugar. I guess I am more concerned about that right now than about my weight. I have lowered it some with my food plan, but when I exercise I see a big difference. I try to exercise while I'm watching my soaps. I'm going to be watching them anyway, so I have no excuse not to exercise, except sometimes I'm cooking and cleaning while watching them, rather than exercising. I really try not to just sit and watch them.

I read Dana Carpender's book, too, and I like it. I have read so many books. I also read so many forums, even some I never actually joined but just visit as a guest and just read. I like to hear different people's experiences rather than read a book. The information I get from other posters is more truth...anyone can write a book and they are just out to sell their book. Most people on forums are struggling the same as we are, trying to find what works for them. It's a kindred that can't be shared by those who have never had a problem with food and their weight.

I lost another pound and now I am back to my ticker weight. I am still doing well watching my carbs and not eating between meals. I was hungry by the time dinner time came around tonight, and I'm hungry again now, but it's 12:15AM and I'm going to bed.

Goodnight!

Ruthxxx
10-27-2013, 09:10 AM
Plugging along. Weight is stuck at 190 but I know it'll drop when I focus on low carb. Just seem to need "comfort" food at the moment. Need to go for upper and lower GI check next week which will be sure to give me a "clean" start, :lol:

Butterfly50
10-27-2013, 12:12 PM
Sorry I haven't been here in a while I have been busy I have so much stress going on in my life it's not real. I hope things can get better well went to the dr the other day and now they added 3 more pills to my daily dose. I have to take Mobic for the aching in my knees twice a day and then Claritin everyday. I am feeling kind of depressed or I am jest feeling sorry for myself or something but I am jest in the dumps a lot lately. I hope that I can get out of this soon.
I hope every one is doing good . I pray everyday I have the will to get back into what I need to do but I jest cant seem to find it. I hope it isn't gone for a long time I so need to do something in my life. I am so sick of being fat! Well I better be going I have a sicken headache. today again.:(:(

Wannabehealthy
10-27-2013, 12:36 PM
Hi Ruth. Good to "see" you! I hope your testing comes out well, but if you're having issues that require this testing, something has to be causing it. I hope you get to the bottom of things. It's stressful to be having a problem and not knowing what's causing it.

Trish - If you read through the different forums, you will find very successful people on just about every eating plan, and also those for whom it isn't working. I think it has a lot to do with personal determination. Some people just count calories and exercise and the weight seems to fall off. My DIL and her neighbor have made amazing changes with WW. People with medical issues, such as us here who are dealing with diabetes, need to follow a plan that takes their medical condition into consideration. A low fat high carb plan would fail for us no matter how closely we followed it. We may lose some weight, but our blood sugar would be out of control and could cause a lot of problems. I read another diabetes forum on which most of the people eat zero carbs. They have very tight control on their bs, but I don't think I could do that unless I get to the point that absolutely nothing else works. I don't think there's a doctor or nutritionist who would recommend that.

This morning I had a tasty breakfast that I heard about on another board. I put a 1/2 inch slice of avacado in the fry pan to saute, turned it over and broke an egg into the hole, then covered it until the egg was done. The yolk goes into the hole and the whites run out into the pan. This is the second time I've made it and it's a nice change from just scrambled eggs, a taste of avacado with each bite of egg. The rest of the avacado I mashed up and made some guacomole that I will eat with my veggie lunch. Tonight for dinner I am making lasagne, since my husband likes it so much. It will be a test to see if I can eat just one small serving along with a salad and not do too much damage to my BS.

Wannabehealthy
10-27-2013, 12:40 PM
Sorry I haven't been here in a while I have been busy I have so much stress going on in my life it's not real. I hope things can get better well went to the dr the other day and now they added 3 more pills to my daily dose. I have to take Mobic for the aching in my knees twice a day and then Claritin everyday. I am feeling kind of depressed or I am jest feeling sorry for myself or something but I am jest in the dumps a lot lately. I hope that I can get out of this soon.
I hope every one is doing good . I pray everyday I have the will to get back into what I need to do but I jest cant seem to find it. I hope it isn't gone for a long time I so need to do something in my life. I am so sick of being fat! Well I better be going I have a sicken headache. today again.:(:(

I am sorry to hear that you are feeling so poorly. I am on a lot more pills than you are, but then I'm a lot older than you and have heart disease. If the Mobic is helping your knee then it's necessary, and Claritin is for allergies and might also help with your headaches. Many people are on Claritin and I don't think it has many bad side effects. Is the Mobic helping your knee? Maybe if your knee starts to feel better you will be able to get back to your walking. That would also help with your mood. Being in the south, you won't have to contend with snow interfering.

pattygirl63
10-27-2013, 06:15 PM
A quick flyby to share this website. This is information on Chia Seeds and the benefits for level blood sugar as well as all the other benefits of the seeds. I am going to learn how to cook with these. They lower cholesterol and so much more I can't share it all here.

Here is the website so you can read more about them and research more about them if you like. They are so be even better fiber etc than flax seed.

http://www.chiaseeds.us/chia-seeds-and-diabetes.htm

Wannabehealthy
10-27-2013, 10:59 PM
Trish, A woman on the Over 50 forum mixes them in her morning yogurt. I remember her mentioning them, but I don't know much about them and have never tried them. Thanks for the link.

Tomorrow is going to be a big test of my determination. I went shopping today to get the ingredients to make a big pot of vegetable soup tomorrow, and my husband wanted a loaf of Italian Bread to go with it. That is my absolute worst trigger food! I will pray for strength! LOL

Butterfly50
10-28-2013, 09:51 AM
Carol sue actually I am on 7 pills in the morning and 5 pills at night I guess it doesn't help I have a lot going on right now that I jest cant get out of my mind . I jest wish I didn't have to think about all this stuff .

Wannabehealthy
10-28-2013, 02:24 PM
Awww, I am so sorry, Bonnie. I will pray that things start to improve for you and your family.

Ruthxxx
10-29-2013, 10:12 AM
Thanks for reminding me of chia seeds. I have a bag of them in my freezer. I used to be really big on chia and ground flax in my smoothies but have not made one for a while. Chia really does thicken if you leave it sitting for a while. I use a cup of unsweetened almond milk, a raw egg or egg white, chia, flax and some frozen blueberries.

Off to see the Doc this morning for a rib check and am hoping he'll give me permission to go back to the gym. He is also going to go over my recent bloodwork, partly for the HA1C which was a bit higher (.066) than last year when it was an amazing .058. I also need more red blood cells and he'll probably push B12 and red meat. I'll get my flu shot and we'll discuss the shingles vaccine.

No doubt the fact that the same weight as last year will be brought up and he expected em to lose weight. Guess I'm heading to low carb - hard to do in cold weather when I seem to want comfort foods like bean soups and pasta.

Sucks to get old, but when you examine the alternative ...

Wannabehealthy
10-29-2013, 12:01 PM
Ruth, I really recommend the shingles vaccine. I had them several years ago and they are very painful. I had a moderate case. My daughter had a mild case, but she was only 18 years old when she had them. I had pain, but after the first several days it was manageable and I continued to work. I was around 60 when I had them. I had mild pain for months afterwards. Some people get it really bad and with some the pain never really goes away. If you had chicken pox as a child you are at risk.

I am on the fence as to how I feel about beans. I know they list a lot of carbs, but they are said to be resistant starch, which means the starch does not get absorbed the way other starches do, such as bread and pasta. I love beans and eat them a few times a week in different forms. I think the only thing we can do is check BG after eating them and see how they effect each of us individually.

I had a bad day yesterday. I will not get weighed or check my BS because I don't want to see how much damage I did. The good thing was I made a big pot of veggie soup and it was outstanding. My husband and I could not quit eating it. We had it for both lunch and dinner, and that's very unusual for him. But he bought that italian bread and I ate 3 slices. I had my mind made up that I was not going to eat any, but then I decided to have 1 slice. I know better. I know that is my main trigger food, and don't you know, I went back for more. I am hoping that once I have this IE ( also called Mindful Eating) firmly planted, I will be able to eat a slice of bread without binging on it, but I have not reached that point yet. I am right back on plan today and will only eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm satisfied. I feel so much better when I'm not stuffed. This book I'm reading right now says you can eat 45-60 gm of carb per meal and still control your BG, but I know for a fact that I cannot do that. I wouldn't even try. I will have to limit my carbs for the rest of my life and I have faced that fact.

Hope everyone else is doing well!

Ruthxxx
10-30-2013, 01:14 PM
Survived the doc visit and did not get a really bad lecture about missing regular bloodwork. He shifted my meds around a bit and says the ribs are almost healed. I got both the flu shot and the shingles shot so that's done.

Weight actually dropped two pounds overnight as I had a very low carb supper but FBGL this morning was 6.8 - a tad higher than normal for me. Took my convalescing friend out for breakfast this morning and had eggs and bacon - no homefries or toast.

fatmad
10-31-2013, 08:33 PM
Hi fiends! I mean friends:D happy hallowe'en. I am studiously avoiding candy, had DH buy and put outside for the kids to help themselves. He is to get rid of it before bedtime.
I have been doing well, no new losses but still just under 180.
RUth, I think beans are fine too. I don't tend to get spikes unless I also have breads or crackers with a been soup or stew. IF you can keep the gas to a minimum, go for it, so you can avoid the pasta.
Sorry to be MIA for a bit, my laptop died, I am using DH's. I plan to buy a new Mac, found out I can get a faculty discount, so that helps a lot. Maybe, next week.
Have a great time tonight, so you all on the November thread. :hug:

love2b150
11-01-2013, 12:00 AM
Here is the November thread since Madeleine mentioned it :)

No candy for me. The kids made me a bag and then said that Mommy can't eat it and gave it to Daddy :D gotta love them ;)

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diabetes-support/289297-november-chat.html#post4874299