General chatter - Oddball Things Our Pets Do

View Full Version : Oddball Things Our Pets Do

Jacqui_D
10-01-2013, 10:03 PM
My cat is crazy, lol! She will not let me drink a glass of water by myself! I have water out for her all the time, but she doesn't like tap water so well, mind you. We have a water cooler and as soon as she hears me getting water from it, she comes running. And she prefers to drink from a glass, not a bowl or saucer. Of course, if I'm not paying attention and I set my glass of water down, it's all over. Her face is in it in a heartbeat. I've started drinking from a reusable water bottle so she won't drink my water, but does that stop her? Noooo. Now when I open my water bottle, she meows and meows incessantly until I pour it into something so she can have some too. Crazy cat. :D

nationalparker
10-01-2013, 10:32 PM
That's pretty darned cute. I'd probably be giving in all the time! I had a cat years ago that insisted he be allowed to drink from the tap as it dripped out - he'd drink from his bowl, but when the tap was turned on, he came running.

Now I have a cat that paw dips in my iced tea. At first I didn't think much of it until DH reminded me that she digs in the poop pit with that paw - do you know where that paw has BEEN? UH OH! :)

doingmybest
10-01-2013, 10:36 PM
Your cat sounds like a lot of fun and crazy, just like my cat!

When I pour myself a bowl of cereal, my cat yells at me until I pour her cereal into a separate bowl and add milk. When I am finishing my bowl, she insists on getting the last few bites of mine, even though she has her own! Her favorite cereal is Cheerios.

We have a nice half bathroom downstairs for guests. The sink has a fancy faucet. Whenever anyone uses that faucet, she has to jump up and drink from it.

This same cat has fallen into the toilet bowl, singed her whiskers on candles, got her head stuck between our headboard and the wall, got her head caught in the handles of a paper bag, and jumped into our oval bathtub but couldn't get out!
(There was no water in the tub, thank goodness!)

We always have to keep 2 steps ahead of her! She is crazy!

nationalparker
10-01-2013, 10:45 PM
Good thread - i needed these smiles tonight! Thank you!

Jacqui_D
10-01-2013, 10:51 PM
Lol! My daughter has a cat who loves water, loves to be in it, and in the morning if she doesn't close the bathroom door all the way, he'll jump into the shower with her. She is constantly scolding him to get out, lol! As she tells it, it's impossible to feel clean with a cat in the shower with you, Haha! This is also the same cat that when her fiance comes home at night and settles in, the cat jumps up on the counter where he sets his change and put its paw on a coin and looks at him. He says, "No, don't do it," and...zing! The cat flings the coin off the counter, and as her fiance warns him again to stop...zing, zing, zing! He flips all the rest of the coins off the counter, lol! Every night. Such a cute brat cat. :D

AngieRR1022
10-01-2013, 11:00 PM
My cat loves the bathtub. We havent fixed the slow drip in the tub faucet because it is her favorite place to drink. She is so picky about her water if we dont change the water in her bowl every 12 hours she refuses to drink it. She just drinks from the tub. Lol.

Oh. She refuses to eat all human food, tuna, cheese, etc...except french fries!! She will go through my husbands mcdonalds bag looking for fries to steal.

Jacqui_D
10-01-2013, 11:14 PM
Lol, too cute! Oh, and I could tell you stories about my dogs, I have 3 mastiffs. Anyone who has ever had a mastiff or a great dane knows they think they're lap dogs. They love to sit on the couch or even better, on your lap on the couch, haha! They just don't realize how big they are. And they are leaners. They don't mean to knock you down! Or break your knick knacks which are at just the right height on your tables for their tails, Or walk through your screen doors, lol! They are just big sweet gentle giants. :D

Mara
10-02-2013, 10:38 AM
They are cute!

My cat will also steal my water if I leave it unattended. She also prefers me to turn on the facet and let her drink from that. Oh and if she sees the parmesan cheese it is over. Begs and cries incessantly. :)

And then when she climbs in my lap and gets very relaxed she drools. It makes me laugh and smile because it is so cute.

Desiderata
10-02-2013, 11:03 AM
One of my cats is obsessed with dragging large fabric articles throughout the house - usually overnight, usually while wailing. It started with socks a couple years ago, but now he's progressed to entire beach towels up and down stairs, or even our huge terrycloth robes. (I remain impressed by those feats.) For awhile, he was pulling a large blanket cover off of floor pillows every night. (The blanket was to keep them from furring up the pillows... so this was not so cute.) As of last week, his new idee fixe is removing his towels and soft cloths from his cat tower, taking them across the room, and building a "nest" with them on the couch where I spend a lot of my time. This is cuter. :D Regardless, I come downstairs every morning eager to see what re-arranging he's done during the night. I have no idea what his brother thinks of his shenanigans.

Psychic
10-02-2013, 11:37 AM
I have 2 cats. They walk around the house cooing (for lack of a better term) at eachother all the time. My older female cat (2 years) adopted my younger male cat (5 months?).

My younger cat will find a rug, put his claws in it, then roll himself up in it. Then he starts meowing because he's stuck.

doingmybest
10-02-2013, 12:54 PM
I used to have a cat that liked to hunt bagels.

He would pounce on them, grab them in his mouth and prance around the house to show us what he caught. He was so proud of himself! We always congratulated him. Later, I would find bagels ripped up all over the house.

I think he thought the bagels were mice.

EagleRiverDee
10-02-2013, 04:39 PM
I have 3 cats. The newest one has only been with us a month now (a rescue) and he's got serious fear issues. He is afraid of nearly everything. He's slowly getting better, but what's oddest about him is that he doesn't meow or purr, he sounds like a human baby when it's fussing. Any time you approach him, he starts the fussing noise, which I have yet to determine if it's fear or if it's his way of talking to you.

Another cat fancies himself to be a great hunter. His favorite "prey" is the edges of the foam mats in my exercise room- he picks them out of the mat and then carries them around while wailing. I call them his "foam snakes".

The third cat hunts socks (quiety) but wails next to me in the middle of the night because of our three cats he is the nocturnal one and he gets lonely at night. I pick him up, tuck him into my side, and pet him a little before falling back to sleep.

Jacqui_D
10-02-2013, 10:11 PM
Lolol! These stories are too cute! :D

kaplods
10-02-2013, 11:56 PM
Our cat is a spoiled Diva. She wants CONSTANT attention and anything you do for her on a regular schedule becomes a mandatory part of the routine and she will complain loudly if you're not on schedule.

I made the mistake of brushing her every morning after I got dresses and now every day she will meow in her "nagging voice" to wake me up, and keep me moving through my dressing in a timely manner to get on with the day, which starts with feeding her and then moves on to "lappy time" of petting and brushing.

Anything missed or done out of sequence incurs her wrath (brushy time cannot come before feeding and water dish filling has to be done before feeding).

Oh and if there's a "floater" in her water, whether it be a bug, a piece of backwashed food or a stray hair, she will cry in her "complaining voice" until you come and remove it. If it is a living bug, she will cry in her alarm/panic voice. Which is the same alarm cry she uses when hubby doesn't come home at his usual time from "guy's night."

Hubby will ask if I missed him, and I'll joke "not as much as the cat did."

She also likes to prove to me that she's the "alpha female" especially competing for hubby's attention. If I get up in the middle of the night to go potty, when I come back, she's sprawled out across my bed as if to claim the entire territory.

If hubby and I are kissing or if hubby rubs my back, the cat pushes her way between us so that SHE gets the attention. However, if I'm rubbing hubby's back she does not try to get between us. Instead she gets in front of hubby for him to pet her. She's quite obvious in her preference of hubby's attention over mine. If she could figure out a way to get rid of me, I'd be gone.

Hubby tells friend he has two wives and he's henpecked by "the hairy one."

Buffinlovin
10-03-2013, 02:15 PM
My dogs are both attention lovers lol!! We have friends over almost every weekend, and if any of the guys bring a girl with them, my chihuahua tries to get between them to say "yea right, he is MINE!"...the guys even said they would love to go take her for a walk around the park (to attract girls..cause what girl doesn't love a cute little chihuahua?), if she wasn't such a c**k block lol! She gets in your face with kisses, climbs all over you, wants to be on your lap, etc.

My sheltie loves attention, but she is the polar opposite. Where my chihuahua is in your face, my sheltie will just sit very prettily with her head in your lap and wait for a pet. She has great breeding, so she sits pretty, runs pretty, etc. The breeder we got her from said she would have loved to have shown her except that she was the biggest puppy in the litter, and is a much bigger sheltie than most (about 45lbs), so therefore not show material. She knows she's pretty though, and uses it to her advantage. But if she gets really excited (as shelties tend to get), she jumps and barks and yips. Other than that, she is content to sit at your side, breathing on your leg until you pay attention to her (which is very effective btw).

Ruthxxx
10-03-2013, 02:25 PM
Disney, my Katrina rescue, self-pets. I have a table cloth with a fringe on my diningroom table. Disney goes back and forth under the table letting the fringe trail along her head and the length of her back. She groans in ecstasy!

Desiderata
10-03-2013, 02:44 PM
I think this is one of my favorite threads ever. :lol: :lol: :lol:

FickleHearts
10-03-2013, 03:45 PM
I adopted two puppies about two years ago from the local human society. They are sisters, but it's obvious they have two different daddies LOL.

They both weigh about 50 lbs each, but one is taller and part lab, Rya, and the other, Ash, is stocky and has a bit of pitbull in her. For some reason, Ash has this thing about closing doors to empty rooms. She likes to go into our bedroom and push the door shut with her nose and then wait for her sister to open it if it doesn't shut completely. I call it the Damsel In Distress act, because she's so exited when Rya opens it up!

Sometimes however, the door latches so I'll come home and find she's locked herself in the bathroom or something. We have to shut all the doors to rooms in the house now to prevent it. If we're home, Rya will sit in front of the door and not budge until someone frees her sister.

Those dogs love each other. I'm going to have a Where the Red Fern Grows situation on my hands if one goes before the other. :(

Ash also has this thing about itching her butt on the wall..... It's so funny to watch. (It's her back hind-end right above the tail btw LOL ) I tell her, "Aww, does the booty itch?" and she starts whining and fussing at me as she does it LOL. Honestly, they are flea free, so not sure where this comes from. She doesn't gnaw back there and it's not raw or anything. She just likes her butt scratched I guess LOL.

FickleHearts
10-03-2013, 04:02 PM
As for cats....

We recently had to put down our cat Kieko because she had a heart defect that caused her heart to rupture. She was only 3 years old and it was pretty devastating and unexpected. :(

But on a happy note, I have lots of fond memories. We used to have an old fashioned bedroom set, the kind with the cabinets and mirror for the headboard, that almost reached the ceiling. She'd find a way somehow to get up on top of it and loved to dive bomb me in the middle of the night when she wanted out of the room. OMG, I never thought an 8lb cat dropping on me would hurt so bad. Eventually we got rid of it.

Her other methods of waking us up after that would involve jumping on a chest of drawers, then jumping on my husband, sprint across the bed over me, then onto the floor, then back up on the chest to repeat. She was so very subtle in her efforts to wake us up LOL.

Every morning after we stopped letting her sleep with us, we'd crack the door and I'd wake up to her curled up on my chest, nose to nose, just a purring. I loved those wake up calls.

When she wanted attention, she'd get on the TV stand so no one could watch TV and casually knock things off till someone got up and petted her.

My 50 lb dogs were absolutely terrified of my 8lb tabby and she knew it. She'd purposefully stand in doorways to rooms we were in to block them from coming in.

I miss that cat. We have two more, but she just had such a little personality. I love my other two, but she was special.

PreciousMissy
10-03-2013, 07:36 PM
My dog Bella refuses to drink from communal bowls at dog parks and the dog day care. She has to have her own bowl and if another dog drinks out of it she won't touch it again.

Whenever she's happy/excited she smiles and shows all of her teeth, every single time.

DaisyBelle
10-04-2013, 01:00 AM
Such great stories :)

Ficklehearts, I'm sorry about your loss. We had to have my cat Riley put to sleep 3 years ago and I still miss him, so I know how you're feeling.

We have 5 cats, but the one with the best stories is Spiffy the Wonder Cat. He's a gorgeous fluffy cat that looks like a Himalayan but is a stray that my husband found one evening. Spiffy was in horrible shape when my husband found him - he was about 6-7 weeks old and looked like a gremlin...fleas all over, skinny, leaky eyes, missing a lot of fur and stinky. It was heartbreaking and I was sure he was going to die, but that little monster was too stubborn and loved food way too much!

Spiffy is curious and always into something, and he always makes us laugh :)

Once in the middle of the night my husband and I woke up to the sound of chimes ringing, and couldn't figure out what was going on. I got out of bed to investigate the sound and found Spiffy in the laundry room. I have a set of windchimes that were hanging in the laundry room temporarily and Spiffy decided it would be great fun to begin playing with them! It was like he was playing a musical instrument :D

I have a video of him doing that, I should find it and link to it.

He wouldn't stop doing it regularly, so my husband finally took the chimes out of the laundry room and put them away somewhere...LOL!

monmis12
10-04-2013, 08:51 AM
Maurice, my 12 year old cat, was once staring at a lite bulb(the old kind that get really hot) and then proceeded to lick it! OWWW. He also figured out that he could sniff the tv and receive a static electricity shock. He must enjoy that because he would do it several times a day. When ever I print something, and he hears the printer turn on, he comes running. He is not the brightest thing. He started spraying a few years ago and one thing he sprayed was me. I was sitting on the bed, he jumped up next to me purring very loudly, and then proceeded to spray me!

Minnie, my 12 year old female cat is addicted to grilled chicken. From the time my husband starts the charcoal in the grill in the back yard till the time the meat is brought in, she meows incessantly and very very loudly. Nothing will stop her except for when the meat is done and she gets her share. You can hear her meowing from the grill in the back yard. She sleeps with me every night and prefers to be under the covers. So, when she is ready, she paws the covers and I lift them up and she climbs under. She is very smart compared to Maurice and most definitely in charge.

Jacqui_D
10-04-2013, 10:07 AM
Lol! I just love all these stories! So cute!

gailr42
10-07-2013, 12:34 PM
A few years ago, I rented out my extra bedrooms to two young men. One was a cat lover, the other was not - he didn't hate cats, he just wasn't interested.

My cat, Tux, would get up on the roof above the front door and wait.... When the non cat lover would come home late at night, the cat would jump off the roof, land in front of the door and scare the heck out of the guy. It.worked.every.time. LOL.

The other roommate would buy some pretty fancy deli meat just for the cat. He would throw a hunk of meat to Tux and the cat would fall on it and rip it apart, apparently trying to look like a real wild cat, or at least demonstrating his appreciation.

Tux liked to get on the table when I had company. I would toss him out the front door in hopes that he would get distracted, but no...it took him about 90seconds to make it by two other condos, climb over a couple of fences, come in the cat door and be on the table again. This worked every time, too.

Tux loved everyone, including friendly dogs. Except one time there was a telephone repairman at my house that Tux didn't like. I found out later that the man had been involved in a crime.

Tux was my all time favorite cat. Unfortunately, he got cancer and was gone before his time. I still think about him although my current kitties are special, too.

ReNew Me
10-07-2013, 12:55 PM
Chlorine is disgusting to a human nose and palate, which is pathetic compared to a dog or cat. I give my cats the same filtered water I drink. If you won't drink it, why expect your pets to? If they really want chlorine they know where the toilet is.

gailr42
10-07-2013, 02:46 PM
If they really want chlorine they know where the toilet is.:lol::lol::lol:

Jacqui_D
10-07-2013, 02:47 PM
Thank you for your opinion ReNew_Me; however, my two other cats don't mind the tap water. Neither did my previous cats who lived to 23 and 19 years old. I don't think the tap water is disgusting. I just prefer the cooler water with a twist of lemon and apparently so does my one cat.

MAK247
10-08-2013, 05:31 PM
I have 3 cats and 4 dogs, and all are quirky in their own ways. :)

Samuel Adams (cat) is the only cat I've had that knows his name. I also taught him as a kitten to sit on his back legs and put his paws on my hand for a treat. :) This backfired because when I am eating he climbs all over me and paws at the food. He is also not picky and will eat carrots, broccoli, green beans, etc.

Jack Daniels (cat) will be walking along and randomly dash from 0 to 60 and leap up the wall. He also likes to eat broom bristles. He has also learned to bully the dogs, and then seems confused when they jump out of their skin to get away when he is trying to rub his head on them and be affectionate.

Shooter is the weirdest of the cats. He also loves water, when I flush he will come running to watch the water swirl and go down the drain. :) I don't even have a lot of examples for him, because everything he does is just goofy. He was a sickly feral kitten that I caught when the dog cornered him in the yard and I think that has something to do with it.

Mollie (beagle) does the butt rubbing thing someone else mentioned. She likes when I'm in my recliner because the foot rest is just above her back so she can scootch up to it. She will also back up while growling if another dog is in a crate or on her bed and she thinks they might challenge her if they're face to face. Passive aggressiveness at it's best. :)

Brenna (German Shepherd) looooves romaine lettuce. She likes to drink water while standing in it, so if there is a dirty mud puddle she will drink that instead of out of a clean bowl because she can stand in the water.

Spot (pointer) doesn't really have any quirks. She is my least favorite dog, I kind of got stuck with her to be honest. lol Inside the house she is very sweet and loves her Mr. Bill toy (if I say "oh noooo" like the toy or ask for Mr Bill she will usually go find him). Outside she is destructive and obsessive over any rabbits/moles/etc. living anywhere in or around my yard. :(

Fezzik loves empty water bottles (perrier bottles are his favorite) he will chew the cap off and walk around chewing the cap like gum. It used to scare me but he never swallows them, eventually he gets bored and spits it out. He is about 70+ lb and fancies himself a lap dog, he loves getting up in my recliner with me. :)

VermontMom
10-15-2013, 11:25 AM
Lol, too cute! Oh, and I could tell you stories about my dogs, I have 3 mastiffs. Anyone who has ever had a mastiff or a great dane knows they think they're lap dogs. They love to sit on the couch or even better, on your lap on the couch, haha! They just don't realize how big they are. And they are leaners. They don't mean to knock you down! Or break your knick knacks which are at just the right height on your tables for their tails, Or walk through your screen doors, lol! They are just big sweet gentle giants. :D

YES! :D our Eddie is Rottie/lab mix, he sure does love to lean when I am petting his side, and the goofy sitting on the couch (actually rear end and back legs on the couch). He seems to have the social skills of a 4 year old, when adults are talking and he wants attention he'll speak (not bark, speak, lol)