100 lb. Club - How will you handle Halloween candy?

time2lose
10-01-2013, 03:00 PM
October is here and with it comes Halloween. I have always found October, November, and December difficult food-wise. I can't tell you how many times I was doing well food-wise but was totally derailed this last quarter of a year.

To combat this problem, I am starting making my plans for these three month by handling Halloween first.

I have decided that I am going to save treats for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Halloween is big in our neighborhood so I don't want to completely skip it. My husband is going to buy the Halloween candy and store it somewhere out of sight. We have discussed the types of candy and he won't buy any that I love, Butterfingers and Reece's Peanut butter cups. I will give out the candy on Halloween night but I stay so busy that I don't think that I will have trouble resisting it.

Any leftover candy will be divided between my husband and sons and will be moved out of my sight.

How are you going to handle Halloween? Plan now to succeed then.

Ruthxxx
10-01-2013, 03:07 PM
Yes, time to draw up a battle plan. My favourite cheats are red liquorice, Smarties and potato chips. They cannot be in my house. I am going to try for things I dislike - coffee crisp bars come to mind along with Cheezies. The best solution would be to just not be home that night but I do like seeing the little kids.

Frances123
10-01-2013, 04:13 PM
I always bake up Halloween-themed cookies/cupcakes. I'm planning on sending out gift boxes to friends this year, but I'm going to determine beforehand if I can have any, and then how much. Then I'm going to make my husband wait in the kitchen while I bake to make sure I don't cheat! Then they go STRAIGHT into the boxes and out in the mail. Candy-wise, no kids here so thankfully I won't have anything bad in the house!

I'm going for moderation - not deprivation this year.

staja
10-01-2013, 05:21 PM
Halloween is much rougher for me than it should be. My SO and I live in the woods, so we don't get any trick-or-treaters. However, he has 3 nieces that live in town and come by for treats. This year, instead of buying the big bag of candy that I usually do at the beginning of October, and then the one I buy before Halloween (because, you know, I ate the big bag), I think I'm just going to buy 3 or 4 regular size candy bars the day of Halloween. This way, the kids (and SO) will be happy that they have candy, and I won't have the temptation.

mandydawn77
10-01-2013, 05:55 PM
I'm a little concerned myself considering Halloween is when I started cheating last year and by the middle of this year I had gained 25 pounds back! I can not let that happen again. I guess I better come up with a battle plan of some kind. My problem with the holidays is that we have multiple get togethers with family and potlucks here at work. It's not just Thanksgiving day and Christmas day. Once Thanksgiving gets here it seems like we eat all the way up to New Year's day.

thewalrus0
10-01-2013, 06:04 PM
Halloween is my favorite holiday! Every weekend in October, before now, I would use my free time to sit around eating candy and watching scary movies. I'd eat so much candy I'd get sick.

Anyways, since I'm sugar-free and grain-free this year I figured I'd find a really good primal or paleo recipe involving pumpkin and a touch of honey. I can make a few of them and keep them around.

You can also make some pretty cool stuff out of fruit and veggies and I intend to make a veggie tray that looks like a skeleton and maybe some fruit kebobs with the fruit cut into Halloween shapes.

Honestly, my favorite part of Halloween is the scary movies, the colors, the costumes and the falling leaves outside. I can work around the candy thing. We've had a tin full of chocolate 'eyeballs' in the kitchen for weeks and I haven't had one! Low carb might be the best thing that ever happened to me.

time2lose
10-01-2013, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by MandyDawn My problem with the holidays is that we have multiple get togethers with family and potlucks here at work. It's not just Thanksgiving day and Christmas day. Once Thanksgiving gets here it seems like we eat all the way up to New Year's day.

This is my problem too. It is one reason that I am not allowing myself any treat at Halloween. I will finish planning my eating plan some time in November, but I am leaning towards taking food to all events that work with my plan. The best present I can give myself is to get through December without getting off track. I need to think big picture instead of focusing on holiday food.

time2lose
10-01-2013, 06:10 PM
thewalrus0 - please share that recipe when you find it!

Avezy44
10-01-2013, 06:12 PM
Halloween Candy has never really bothered me that much. I usually keep some sort of chocolate stash at my house too and just have a individual piece to get the flavor when I crave it. Other than that, I do just fine on Halloween... Now Thanksgiving and Christmas are another story... I love my starches. haha

jm474
10-01-2013, 09:15 PM
Similar to you, I buy the candy but I don't get it until a day or two before Halloween and I try to buy my least favorite types of candy but ones that are still kid favorites. I have 3 kids and they will all come home with tons of candy - now that is were my problem starts, dipping into their candy when they are in school/in bed. I'm going to read the rest of the replies for some ideas to help combat that!

IanG
10-01-2013, 09:19 PM
I just say no. Candy is now a food I consider for other people. Not for me. I treat my condition like a disease/allergy and my head simply says I cannot eat that but other people can. So I keep the stuff around the house and other people eat it.

I do not.

I am not so hard line on all "bad" foods but candy, chips and junk foods (e.g. burgers) are complete no-nos for me. Not even on a date night. You can stretch me to a slice of pizza or ice cream with a lovey dovey look in your eyes over a candle-lit dinner. But candy? Er, no.

tefrey
10-01-2013, 10:01 PM
My husband works at a college, so whenever we have treats in the house the leftovers go to campus where the students finish it off in no time. But he's off doing research this year and won't be around to save me. Honestly, I may just leave the house dark on Halloween, though it makes me sad to think about it ... we'll see how I feel when we get closer.

My problem is the limited edition flavors ... I always want to try anything new! So I really need to avoid the treat aisle until January. Oh except there's always Valentine's Day and Easter. Darn my sweet tooth!!!!

Tulip2
10-01-2013, 10:57 PM
Probably not the most popular response, but I'm going to volunteer to work on Halloween night. So I won't buy any candy at all. I'll have to stay out of the break rooms though because I'm sure my coworkers will bring candy in during the day.

theox
10-01-2013, 11:37 PM
I'm seriously considering giving out toothbrushes. I live in a relatively low-rent neighborhood that's within easy walking distance of some very poor neighborhoods. I bet there are kids in my area that don't have their own toothbrushes, or whose toothbrushes have been in use for way longer than they should be. If I do go that route, I'll probably tape a mini candy bar to each one, just so I'm not a complete buzzkill. The candy will be stashed in a cupboard I don't use much. I'll track anything I eat, and the leftovers will go to work the next day.

Trazey34
10-02-2013, 12:29 AM
I buy stuff I don't love LOL I hate red licorice so I get that, don't love Mars bars or suckers, so I load up on it ha ha no temptation at all !

Elladorine
10-02-2013, 12:55 AM
I pretty much don't eat candy anymore unless it's sugar-free, and given that I recently got sick on some I probably won't have the stomach for it this Halloween. :lol:

fairandfree
10-02-2013, 01:14 AM
Short answer: Sugar free candy, as suggested by my boyfriend.

Long answer: Ah, Halloween! My boyfriend's mother absolutely LOVES to treat us round this time of the year, buying us buckets and buckets of candy (she does this for Easter as well) and my boyfriend especially enjoys this as he has such a giant sweet tooth compared to me. But he asked me earlier this week what I thought about him asking his mother to just get us sugar free stuff this year, and not a metric ton of it each, and I had to tell him what a great idea it was! We don't get any trick or treaters (we live on a side road and are just so very out of the way) so in the past all this candy would just be for us two! And I'm not trying to make myself into a saint by saying he really does eat more candy than I do, lol! My weakness was more for things like, oh, eating an entire pizza on my own... that kind of thing. I think it's great that he wants to make this suggestion, because I asked and he thinks it could be good for him too--he knows he is super addicted to candy so this is a good first step! He never told ME I needed to lose weight, only supported me when I started on my journey, and if he decides to do healthful things for himself as well, I can only love and support him in return.

We may try making light pumpkin cheesecake again... it was good the first time but could have been better, we both agree on that. Or maybe a lowfat carrot cake? A recipe MUST exist. *goes searching for one right away!*

betsy2013
10-02-2013, 12:10 PM
In the past I would buy the big sacks of candy at Costco some time before Halloween, and then I'd go to the grocery store to buy more since I'd eaten the sack and it wasn't Halloween yet. This year, I'm going to go to the store during the day on Halloween and get a bag of candy -- and if there's any left, I'll take it to the gym or just throw it out. Yes, I'm amazed at the number of people who will grab a mini candy bar while walking in to work out.

Elladorine
10-02-2013, 12:35 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/1383336_10152296716414988_1849912457_n.jpg

:D

Mozzy
10-04-2013, 02:50 AM
Count the calories and move on.
I'll have a couple of pieces.

shrewlu
10-04-2013, 05:45 AM
I'll buy candy to hand out on Halloween and some for the other people in my house to eat, but thankfully candy isn't something I really enjoy eating. Now, as we get closer to Christmas when there is all of the delicious meats and dishes...then I'll have to make a plan.

time2lose
10-04-2013, 10:18 AM
I think that you are lucky if candy is not a temptation. If I could have a couple of pieces and be satisfied, I would eat a little. My problem is that once I start, stopping is very difficult. I think that I have finally learned that it is easier to never start.

mandydawn77
10-04-2013, 11:10 AM
time2lose - I have the same problem. It's best if I just stay away altogether.

linJber
10-06-2013, 11:06 AM
I try to remind myself that the candy isn't mine - it belongs to the neighborhood kids. When that fails, I have learned to follow most of the same rules many of you already stated:

* Buy just a day or 2 ahead of time.
* Buy stuff that isn't my favorite (pretty slim selection there!)
* The last kid to come to my house gets the added bonus of all the candy that's left in the bowl!
* Remind myself at work the next day that anything someone put in the break room doesn't belong to me and therefor is not mine to eat (works about 70% of the time!)

All in all, we need to remind ourselves that we need to deal with this in the best way we can and stick to a plan. It really does work for me to think of it as someone else's candy most of the time.

Good luck, all!

Lin

GirlyGirlSebas
10-06-2013, 12:22 PM
I'm addicted to sugar. One piece of candy and the rest of the bag is a goner! I'm committed to not having even the first piece. As long as I do this, I'm okay.

alyssarof2012
10-06-2013, 12:53 PM
I don't give out candy to trick-or-treaters. We have a system out here where if your porch light is off, then that means you don't have candy. I do have a kid, though. He goes "Trunk-or-treat"-ing at church. (Which is where they do a similar thing to door to door except it is a line of cars/minivans with their trunks open and decorated and we take the kids around to each one to collect candy and play games.) We normally let him pick through his candy at home and separate everything he likes from the stuff he doesn't really care for. We throw that candy out and put the candy he does like up high and give it to him as treats. Because it is high up and out of sight (I have to get on a chair to get it since I'm short) I am not tempted to eat it.

I can't really do that for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners though, haha. Haven't developed a game plan for that yet.

time2lose
10-26-2013, 11:16 AM
Halloween is almost here. Have you made your plan?

My plan has changed slightly. DH has started watching his diet since my first post (I am very pleased.) so my son is handling the Halloween candy.

cleancowgirl
10-26-2013, 11:21 AM
I got candy for our trick or treaters. Most are really little kids so I just bought things I won't normally eat like tootsie pops and a couple healthy snacks. I found some whole wheat mini bag pretzels. They are only 50 calories so I am giving those out too. I am okay about the candy this year. Going no sugar for the past 5 months has made a big difference.