Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-01-2013, 11:23 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 265/180/145

Height: 5'6"

Default Well, I suppose things could be worse.

I was doing really well at the beginning of the year. I lost about 30 lbs. Then for some reason I just stopped losing. After not seeing the scale budge at all for two weeks, I just kind of went, scr*w it, and went on a happy little binge.

Somehow I maintained the loss for the last six months, and believe you me, I can't tell you how or why. I've eaten everything I wanted and then some LOL.

The last week or so I've put back on 5 lbs, and I'm not really upset by that. In the past, those 5 lbs have been 20 or more. I've sort of just avoided thinking about getting back on track, but we're at that time of year here at work where we have to pick benefits and insurance and all that. In order to get the better rate, we have to do this biometrics thing. I heavily disagree with my company forcing this on us, but that's an issue for another day. I agreed to work for them and give them my time and energy 40 hours a week, but not my blood!

Either way.... last year my screening was pretty dismal. I had high sugar, blood pressure, and apparently really low good cholesterol although my bad was normal. I was really hoping that this year it would show an improvement, but thinks to my lack of will power and patience, I don't see that happening. It's motivated me to get back on track, but still dreading the test next week.

I know I can't reverse decades worth of damage in a week and a half, but I'm going to at least start now on the improvement. So far so good..... Just feeling kind of bummed about the whole ordeal though. I wanted to lose weight so we could start a family, but then my hubby lost his job and financially, it just isn't in our cards. In hindsight, I guess the depression over that was an underlying issue on going off plan. I'm 33. I wait any longer to have children and things just go downhill.

I'm starting to just accept the fact I won't be a mom anytime soon, if ever. That doesn't mean I can't be healthy. I guess I just need to shift my priorities around and really get down to business.
FickleHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:08 PM   #2  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

I know that it does not seem like it right now, but 33 is still young, and for sure still young enough to have a family. I have several friends who waited well into their 30's and almost 40's to even consider having a child. Yes the risks are higher, but it is very very possible to have a healthy child past age 35.

The time to start getting healthy is now. So you do not see "results" in time for your blood work next week, but, I bet that they will be better than you think, and better than they would be if you do not do anything at all.

Our bodies are amazing at recovering quickly. They WANT to be healthy well running machines. It is never too late to start.
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:49 PM   #3  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

Despite the slight recent gain, maintaining that loss for six months has probably done more good for you than you realize, even if you're not sure how you did it. You've probably gained some healthier habits without even realizing it!

I've been in a very similar place, especially with wanting to start a family. In my previous relationship, I longed to have little ones but was held back by both my health and my finances, plus my ex was basically afraid of children. My heart broke when I realized I would not have a baby by the age of 30. Luckily for me my current husband loves children and we've managed to be financially stable.

Although I'd already lost a lot of weight, I'd been gaining for a few months when I found out I was pregnant for the first time. But I miscarried early on. That was my most recent wake-up call that I needed to get my health back in order, so I did a lot of soul-searching to figure out what it really is that I want out of life, and I put plans together to make that happen. I've worked hard and managed to lose another 50 pounds since then (making a total loss of 150 for me). I also managed to reverse diabetes and have improved many of my other health issues.

I'm sort of a late bloomer myself. While I'm still a work-in-progress with my weight loss, I had to take a break since I'm expecting a baby boy in December! You're younger than you realize; I mean, here I am expecting my first baby at age 37! It seemed like just a hopeless dream when I was younger, so you never know what the future might bring. Just do the best you can with what you have now, and take care of yourself so you'll prepared for whatever life has in store for you.

Hugs to you.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:02 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 257/ticker/154

Height: 5'5.5"

There is still plenty of time!! I had my daughter at 39 (and turned 40 5 weeks later, lol.) Chin up, and good luck on the testing.
fadedbluejeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FickleHearts View Post
I'm starting to just accept the fact I won't be a mom anytime soon, if ever.
I had my kids at age 39 and 40 (the second one on the first "try"), and I know many other women who've had similarly late starts.

That said, if you really want to be a mom, I don't think you need to put such an important dream to rest because of financial constraints. Brainstorm ideas with your husband, such as part-time jobs, starting your own business, tutoring, even asking your family of origin for temporary help. Scale down your living arrangements (home, car, electronics, etc.) as much as you can. And in all likelihood your husband will find another job within a reasonable time frame, so your financial situation will hopefully start looking up again.

Freelance
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:32 PM   #6  

Congrats Elladorine! That's really good news and hope everything goes well!

I appreciate the feedback you guys. I was in a funk yesterday, and still in a minor one today, but it's getting better. I do have positive things in my life to focus on and I've been up and down the baby roller coaster for a long time now. If it is in our cards, so be it. If not, then well, also so be it.

I'm just really paranoid about all the things that can go wrong after 30

At least I didn't go back to where I started. I've done that so many times, it's nice to enjoy the loss and pick back up where I left, give or take a lb or two.

Thanks!
Old 10-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #7  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Well I began my weight loss after the birth of my second child. We'll just say my BMI was 48 at the time >_<

After four babies, my BMI is now 28.6. I had good pregnancies with my first two and good, easier ones with the next two. Even obese, it is definitely possible. But is it physiologically easier to be thinner for babies? Oh yes.

I can't comment on the age thing personally, as I'm quite young and advocate not waiting excess years to have children. But that's not necessarily because of physical risks . I know plenty of women who have had first and subsequent babies into their thirties and forties, most do just fine. You do have to be aware that managing pregnancy dietetically is more important with age, as your glucose tolerance is more impaired than it would be at a younger age (all other factors being equal). But it's far from a death knell.

And the finances? We were never ready, financially/physically/emotionally, for any of our children. And now we're six people on a single income and doing just fine. Everyone has a roof over their head, dry clothes, full bellies, and a lot of love. No, they don't each have their own bedroom (we wouldn't advocate that even if we had the space) and I cook from scratch and creatively to manage the budget, but it's a good life! I think money is an excuse for many people because they're looking for one. But in reality, it is only an obstacle inasmuch as the vast majority of people aren't willing to priority shift to make it work. Some have legitimate financial trouble that almost completely precludes responsible reproduction, but I've found that to be very, very rare.

That said, it does come back to priorities. If children are a priority, you will do the work to bring your lifestyle (health choices, finances, goals, etc) in line. If you keep struggling mightily on that point, it may be worth examining what mental level you are permitting other things to take priority, and giving yourself permission to fail at what you have made your primary goal. That mental work is crucial in weight loss, in particular, and will serve you well.

I hope this helps some?
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:17 AM   #8  

Actually, it helps a lot.

Priorities speaking, I think right now I just need to get healthy. I've found the rest sometimes just clicks into place, for good or bad. I don't think being 33 and obese will help my odds of having healthy pregnancy if it does come to that, so at least I can start in the right direction. Life giving me the middle finger this year derailed me, but I'm back on track now.

At least till Thanksgiving, but I'll worry about that then. I hate the holidays and being Southern, yeah, it's bad. My family puts food at the top of every gathering.

He is a teacher and eventually law of averages says he has to get something. Right????

Thanks for your input and grats on your weightloss.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:12 AM   #9  

Well, good news! We got a call Saturday morning and the grant came through for my hubby's old job! YAY!!!!
Old 10-07-2013, 11:03 AM   #10  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FickleHearts View Post
Well, good news! We got a call Saturday morning and the grant came through for my hubby's old job! YAY!!!!
Wonderful news!
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote