40-Somethings - 40-Somethings October Chat

View Full Version : 40-Somethings October Chat

newleaf123
10-01-2013, 08:32 AM
Everyone is welcome!

Picking up where September ended, sum I am so happy for you, so proud of you. Great job changing course last night. I totally agree, it's just not worth it. We are going away in Nov, and I remember all the weight I put on when we went away in August. Totally not worth it. I'm trying to train my mind now.

Mrs Snark
10-01-2013, 02:21 PM
I had a horrible day yesterday: attended a funeral and then came home and binged. It was my first binge since April. It was awful, but I have put my carefully crafted recovery plan into effect and am having a good day today. I blogged all about it, got it out of my system, and am moving forward.

We go to Maine in 9 days (how did that get here so fast?!?!) and I'm really looking forward to all the hiking. It is possible we'll be in Acadia for the peak foliage, I have my fingers crossed!

Sum38
10-01-2013, 05:21 PM
Heidi How is your fitbit use doing? How many steps do you average per day?

Mrs S I am sorry :hug:

Mrs Snark
10-01-2013, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the hug, Sum!

I just realized that due to the gov shutdown, Acadia is now closed. Gaaaaahhhhh! All national parks are closed. And isn't Keli in Yosemite right now (or soon)? I hope they sort this out fast!

patchworkpenguin
10-01-2013, 05:52 PM
I'm so behind, I just figured out it was October. These month changes seem to sneak up on me. I haven't spent much time online this past week. I got sick, then recovered then tried to spend time with Hubby before he left. So nothing exciting happening anyway. I'm working on Fall cleaning and knitting a sweater vest for myself. I did a little yard work on Saturday and made the muscles in my back mad again. I'm one of those people who don't get sore right away so I never know when I've overdone it. I really need to start lifting weights again. I said that the last time I hurt my back, but I really mean it this time, LOL. Yesterday, I got a workout DVD set in the mail that I pre-ordered months ago, so I'm excited to try those. Hopefully that will get me back to exercising.

kelijpa
10-01-2013, 07:19 PM
NewLeaf - thanks for the new thread. Good to keep learning from our past experiences right?!

Mrs Snark - plan is to be in Yosemite next week, hopefully all will be settled by then, I am extra hopeful as a currently out of work govt employee...I was reading some articles, even if they're closed some parks will be somewhat accessible since public roads go through them, I think Acadia will be like that, the way it is set up. But hopefully they'll come to their senses quickly.

Penguin. - I wish I could get crafting , sounds so great to be knitting yourself a sweater vest!

Sum - I kind of follow a 5:2 fasting regimen, but I do vegan/juice on my 2 non consecutive fast days and try to practice mindful eating the other days always trying to eat more whole than processed foods. Works well when I do it right. I use a lot of principles from WW, the tools for healthy living I only occasional track my points anymore, but know I would do great if I did , just can't make myself do it . It's really just a way to keep track of what you're eating and making and before you eat something to fit it in your points allowance.

I might try the online when I get back just to get these last 15 or so off so I can go back to meetings for free.

Anyway, enough about me, hope you all are doing well!

Best to all :sunny:

Zumbachica
10-01-2013, 07:34 PM
Hi all ..Happy October.....It is the last month before my big move and the biggest transition of my life. It isn't a happy thing, but part of starting new is exciting. Anyhow I really wonder how this is going to effect me and my weight. I don't want to start my new life with weight that I don't need. I'm going to really try and make good choices this month and get to my mini goal weight of 140. I am also hoping to get some weight lifting in but I don't see that happening for a while. I have a lot of packing and purging to do and there aren't enough hours in the day...atleast Im getting my cardio in....anyhow it is nice to see everyone here......and I wish us all a successful and healthy month!!

Sum38
10-02-2013, 07:21 AM
I had an upset stomach all day yesterday. I barely ate anything all day, so it brought on a new low for me. Hopefully the number sticks :crossed:

Usually when I get down to 152 I get fearful because I have tendency to get stuck at this number, but today I am celebrating it. 152's mark 20 pound loss for me!

love2b150
10-02-2013, 03:36 PM
Hello to ALL :wave:

Thanks for the new thread :)

Mrs Snark, sorry for your loss :hug:

Penguin, I hope your back is getting better. Are you taking anything for it? I had to go to urgent care yesterday because my back spasms were so bad. They gave me a shot and then two scripts. I'm not sure what happened. I did notice on Sunday that my back was a little sore at times but not too bad and yesterday it had me in tears. The doctor gave me a list of things I could do but told me not to do anything for the next few days. Today is better, though I still can't lift anything, bend over (I should probably squat) or walk much without pain. I'm due back to work Friday but if I don't feel better tomorrow I won't be going.

hi keli :wave:

Zumba :hug:

Sum I hope your stomach is better :hug: Congratulations on your new low :)

Back spasms yesterday caused me not to do much of anything including eat. My son made tilapia for dinner and I ate that standing in the kitchen then went to lay down. The medicine makes me sleepy. I guess that's a good thing. At least I'm not moaning from pain every few seconds/minutes.

I weighed in yesterday at 188.4 down 1.2lbs from 9/30. This morning I was down another pound but I am sure it was from not eating most of the day. Hoping for a nice weigh in tomorrow.

I hope all that weren't feeling well get better soon

take care :hug:

patchworkpenguin
10-02-2013, 03:36 PM
Sum, yay on your 20lbs!

Chica, packing and purging sounds like good exercise to me!

Kelijpa, I'm hoping it fits right. Nothing like spending a week knitting something that doesn't fit, but this is why I'm doing a vest and not the whole sweater.

Rennie, I get migraines so I stick to aspercream or ice/heat for my back. I don't want to not be able to take something for my head {which is always worse} because I've taken something for my back. Hope your back is feeling better!

Hubby is still out of town, today my parents took me to Bible study, then to lunch, then to the library. I wanted some books on cooking on a campfire or coals with cast-iron pots. I didn't find much but I did find some interesting books {suggestions anyone?}. We recently bought a RV and Mr. Pyromaniac has to build a fire at each site so I thought we might as well do more than roast marshmallows.

love2b150
10-02-2013, 04:06 PM
Thanks Penguin, no suggestions on books but I'm sure there are some creative people that have put a bunch of recipes on google. :) Wow an RV, I have always wanted to rent an RV and just go, no particular place but just go far away. One day I guess :D

I have some aspercream but with as much pain as I was in, I didn't even give it a thought. When a spasm would hit I would feel as if I couldn't breathe.

patchworkpenguin
10-02-2013, 07:59 PM
Rennie, we didn't really set out to buy a RV. It used to belong to Hubby's boss. He had offered to sell it to us about a year ago, but we were unsure. I'm not really the outdoors type and Hubby doesn't have a lot of spare time. We thought about it but never made a decision. A few months ago, Boss offered it to us again, because they were upgrading, so we made a low-ball offer which he accepted, to our surprise. We've only been out in it twice but this is my idea of camping ~ AC/heat, soft bed, own bathroom and kitchen. Did I mention that I don't know how to cook on a gas stove so Hubby does all the cooking and cleaning? Heaven!

Hope you are feeling better.

Sum38
10-03-2013, 06:51 AM
Rennie I hope you are feeling better today. That sounds really painful!!

Penguin I hope your back is feeling better as well. Good luck with campfire cooking!

----------

My low did not stick, I did not really expect it to stick after I re-hydrated my body plus it is ovulation time which usually means 1-2 pound gain. I feel all crampy and bloated.

Yesterday was a perfect OP day for me
b - Green Tea
l - big salad with salmon, feta and dressing
d - tacos, a huge portion of veggie medley
s - apple with PB, string cheese

I walked with a girlfriend for 4 miles and hit the gym for some weights.

Like I said perfect day.

Today I am meeting a gf for lunch, I scouted out the menu ahead and I think I settled on seared ahi tuna. It comes with sticky rice; I will have a small portion of it. I will also order a spinach salad (dressing on the side). Total calories should be around 500 cal.

I miss my friends. I have hibernated because of my diet. I have learned that lunches at a Mexican restaurant are done, but a fish place is perfect.

Sending hugs to all :grouphug:

love2b150
10-03-2013, 11:30 AM
Thanks Penguin I like that idea of camping also it just seems to me that it would be safer :) though I have never done it. We have only pitched a tent and that was with the scouts. But I do enjoy the camp fires and the hiking. sleeping was a bit weird with all of the nature sounds but I made it through. I like being in groups. I'm just the opposite with the stoves. I love gas stoves. I can see the flames to truly know high and low, ceramic and electric, nope :D And hubby doing cooking and cleaning is a winner for sure :) My husband doesn't cook but he will clean up thank goodness :)

Thanks Sum you did have a great day and another one planned, good for you :high:

I feel better than I did on Tuesday and a little better than I did on yesterday. The spasms aren't nearly as hard or frequent. I still don't walk normal and my bra feels like it is made of leather/rubber something heavy. I can't explain it, it's just not comfortable front or back. It still feels like there is some type of knot in the center right of my back that won't go away but no one can see anything so it's just what I feel. I pray that is heals and goes away totally. I don't ever want to hurt like this again.

weight up .6 to 188, Big Mac meal for dinner. Haven't had McD's in a while so I'll count this as a treat.

I hope you all have a great day and everyone feels better that's sick :hug:

Mrs Snark
10-03-2013, 12:21 PM
Hey Keli -- I'm sorry to hear the shutdown put you out of work, I really hope they get this sorted fast. I don't know how optimistic I am about that, but I do hope so.

Sum - sorry you're feeling icky, lots of us seem to be getting sickish, must be something going around. Feel better!

Penguin -- we sound so similar! I also forgo back pain meds in order to be able to treat my migraines, which are just brutal. There are prescriptions you can get that will allow you to get relief for both (I tend to stay away from all meds, everything scares me, but I have gone and gotten a shot for the back pain when it was just crippling, and it didn't interfere with taking migraine meds). I just mention that in case you find yourself in a back-pain jam. Also, your idea of camping sounds so lovely, I remain jealous of your RV!

Love2b -- glad you are improving!

patchworkpenguin
10-03-2013, 01:04 PM
Snark mostly my back pain is either my overdoing either yard work or exercise or something like that. I do get pain from years of hunching to see either schoolwork or sewing. {in class, we had to sit up straight and lay the book flat in school regardless, no holding up the book so I could read the print}. Even with the print blown up on the computer screen I have to lean forward to read, so that's a form of hunching, which I try to minimize.

Rennie, I have no interest in tent camping. Too rustic for me; I must have certain luxuries! ;)

My back is doing much better, In order to baby my back I've been using my legs more {um, like I'm supposed to} so my quads are sore, too, now. Always something. :dizzy:

Zumbachica
10-03-2013, 05:40 PM
Hello all...sorry to all those not feeling well, hope y'all are on the mend now. I woke up this morning with a pretty bad headache and some nauseousness.....felt like the beginning of a migraine which I do have a history of..I think I nipped it in the bud with some migraine meds and caffeine.....

Im giving my body a rest today..taught an easy class this morning. Will do some push and squats......I'm feeling really "mushy" lately...I'm wondering if I could ever really "tighten the junk" up at this age. I guess I won't know unless I try, right? There's a gym that is only 15 dollars a month, its clean and has good air conditioning...it doesn't have classes, only machines which is what I want. I figure I could go there twice a week to lift weights. Im wondering if that is a smart move right now given everything that is going on in my life......

My goal for the next week is to low carb it and get back into my size 6 Levi's ...Im going camping with my diversion guy and need to look "campy"...I can't afford new jeans at this point....and I have six pairs of Levi's...so that's my mini goal..wish me luck!!!

Sum38
10-04-2013, 07:21 AM
Zumba Size 6!!! I am jealous! You can do it!! -- Have fun camping. I have been doing weight training since April. Not religiously, but a few times per week. My arms look better now than they did last time I was in my 150's, even in my 140's...so it is worth it. I still hate every minute of it. Ugh. I don't think I'll ever learn to love it.

I am down a pound even though I ate out yesterday. I am getting better at this! I ordered a shrimp salad, dressing on the side and it was yummy. I think my total calories for the day were around 1200-1300, not too shabby. I also walked 4.7 miles.

Today I have to skip my workouts unless I go to the gym later on at night, but I am usually too tired. I am spending the day volunteering at the Finnish Center.

Today is my 8th day OP since my last over eating episode. Woot!

Everyone, Have a Beautiful Day!

newleaf123
10-04-2013, 08:23 AM
MrsSnark So sorry to read about your setback earlier this week

Sum I haven't been using my fitBit lately because I pretty much know the patterns. If I'm exercising and putting movement at the forefront, I do 11,000 - 12,000 steps a day, over 6 miles. If I'm not exercising, I come in around a piddling 2,500. It really goes to show the power of exercise! Lately my DH has been wearing it to get his patterns figured out. How about you? I hear you about getting fearful with new, low weights. Same pattern here, unfortunately. Glad to see you had an on plan day 2 days ago and planned out a nice lunch yesterday. Good job stringing together 8 OP days.

Penguin I hope your back is feeling better :hug: My DH has tried to get me into campfire cooking. I never really got into the pots, etc. But did like to cook over the fire. Haven't been camping in a few years, though, so no advice.

Kelijpa Sorry to hear your vacation is in jeopardy. Will you still go and do other fun things in the area?

ZumbaChica Here's to a new life... Hope your head feels better today... Camping with DG; sounds like fun! I hope you have nice, fall weather. Hold onto those old Levi's. IMO, they are so much nicer than any jeans you can buy today...

love2B I hope your back is better and your weight stayed down!

Ugh and yuck here. As you can tell, since I've been MIA. I have had a toenail issue ever since Patagonia last March and I got it taken care of at the podiatrist on Tuesday. Painful as all get go. Did you know that pulling toenails out is literally a form of torture in some countries? Well... lets just say that luckily they use a little local anesthesia at the podiatrist's office. But it did set me up for 3 days of poor eating, which I can only blame on myself. I *knew* I shouldn't have gone on the Trader Joes run last Saturday. Now I have all this junk in the house, which I have been eating. Today is a new day. I am done.

Haven't weighed myself in a few days. I'm sure it's not pretty.

love2b150
10-04-2013, 09:19 AM
Penguin, I understand the luxuries for sure ;) and I am with you on that :D. Glad your back is better, I need to use my legs more also. I keep telling myself that I'm not getting any younger, so I gotta keep what's still good in working order :)

Zumba wow a size 6. I don't know that last time I wore that size or even an 8. You go Girl :high:

Sum way to go, nice choice at lunch, a pound down, almost a 5 mile walk and 8 days on point. You are doing your thing, keep up the great work :high:

Thanks Heidi, I do feel better than I did on Tuesday but not like I wish I would feel. I didn't sleep well last night, I couldn't get comfortable for the life of me, smh. I hope your toe feels better soon. My toenail was pushed back a few years ago (door hit it) and I remember it hurting like crazy but not as bad as my back. :) I hope you have some relief soon. I've been at 188 for the last two days, but I've got my meals planned today and prayerfully I can stick to them :crossed: so far so good with breakfast :D

Back to work today, walked with my daughter to the bus stop this morning, doing ok not as well as I'd like, son has plans for tomorrow that will be more walking. Praying for strength and endurance.

Have a great day everyone :hug:

Mrs Snark
10-04-2013, 10:24 AM
Oh my goodness Heidi, the toe thing sounds TERRIBLE! I had a couple toenails fall off with training for a half marathon, but fortunately it wasn't painful -- just really ugly. Nothing like what you just went through!! Sending you lots of healing thoughts!

Zumbachica -- I've recently added a body weight strength routine I can do at home for the same reason -- hoping the mushy could improve! Fingers crossed!

newleaf123
10-04-2013, 10:32 AM
Oh my goodness Heidi, the toe thing sounds TERRIBLE! I had a couple toenails fall off with training for a half marathon, but fortunately it wasn't painful -- just really ugly.

Well... it wasn't the falling off that was the problem. That happened pretty uneventfully back in June. It's been the regrowth, which ended up ingrown, which I kept hoping would take care of itself. Fast forward where even a kleenex touching my toe caused intense pain, and off to the podiatrist I went. Hopefully the nail doesn't regrow ingrown. If it does, they will deaden the root in that area so it doesn't regrow. Ick!

Let's see -- Peru Trek resulted in a scar on my chin. Patagonia trek resulting in a dead toenail. Hmmm... any treks in my future? Not right now. Loved the treks, though, and wouldn't trade them for anything!

patchworkpenguin
10-04-2013, 05:29 PM
I've been cleaning house today. Soaking in the tub helped my back yesterday, but vacuuming and moping today didn't help much but it had to be done {it was getting icky in here}. I confess to not being a great housekeeper. I sense an icepack cuddle on the couch in my future, hopefully that will help.

Heidi, OUCH! just thinking about your toes make mine hurt. of course I did run my big toe over with the vacuum twice, today. I think we might start small, with a skillet and a few eggs/bacon. I don't want to buy a bunch of stuff and then find out we hate cooking over a fire.

Sun, great job on your 8 days!

Rennie, I feel so much better when I exercise. I don't understand why I keep stopping like this. I realize its in my best interest to keep it up but then I just quit. More fun to sit on the couch than sweat.

Sum38
10-04-2013, 10:15 PM
Heidi OUCH! That sounds painful!!! Wishing you fast healing!!! :hug: -- I am totally addicted to my fitbit, it keeps me walking, I hate to see those low step days. I also like the calorie burned aspect of it. I try to keep my calories consumed at -1000.

Rennie How is your back today? Do you see a chiropractor? Do you think chiro would be beneficial?

:wave: to Mrs. S! :) I hope you are doing well.

Penguin How did your date go with the icepack? Don't over do it!!!

kelijpa
10-05-2013, 10:31 AM
Hi all , just wanted to check in quick. Made it to Cali safe and sound. Got I a 4 mile walk yesterday with DH and not too bad on food for a travel day.

Thursday I did week 5 day 3, couldn't imagine I could jog 10 minutes, I kept telling myself the program thinks you can so keep going and I did it. Will catch up later, thanks for Neig there for me Chicks :wave:

:sunny:

Zumbachica
10-05-2013, 11:00 AM
Hello all...stop being jealous..I said I was "trying" to get into size 6 levis, I didn't say it was going to happen, and given that i'm at a high weight today (PMS AND SUGAR BINGE) and I only have five days until we leave for new Hampshire I don't think it is going to happen ....sigh*** The worse part of this trip is that I really have no money to go and buy new cute things to wear, so I'm going to have to really be creative. I am going to invest in a good pair of hiking sneakers...luckily my boys were both scouts up until last year so I have those warm thermal socks I can borrow and a box of hot hands! We will be in tents for two nights and then DG got us a hotel room for one night in a cute inn...hubba hubba...now I REALLY have to lose some bloat!!! We plan on hiking and maybe biking so it should be an active weekend, I am so NOT going to worry about what we eat....on a weekend like that its all about survival.....this isn't a camp ground but just some land that has been cleared, so it is totally roughing it....I keep telling him its going to be like the Hunger games.....I hope one of us leaves alive...LOL

Newleaf...all I can say about your toe is OUCH!!!!! That has to be the worse pain ever, next to labor pain......glad you had it taken care of and hope you don't have to go through that again.....

Sum: I read your posts and all I can say is your so gosh darn cute! I love how you take care of yourself. You go and weight train even though you hate it.....not sure if I would have the same tenacity for that. Are there a lot of Finnish people where you live? you're always talking about the finnish center.......

Penguin, Ive been cleaning too today. even though I am moving out of this house soon my children still live here so I had energy today and am trying to tidy up their rooms. Not sure what its going to be like after I move out because my husband can't clean like I do, but it really isn't my problem. I'll be in my new cute beach house and it will be spotless. I got off on a tangent here.....protect your back as much as you can, we only have one of them......

Snark: what kind of routine do you do? I think I'll take out my kettlebells today, they came with a few short videos.

Love2b: I am praying that you are having a good weekend.....good for you for walking....movement is a good thing no matter how much or how little of it we do. as a fitness instructor I truly believe that.

well back to my cleaning and then son has violin lesson.....I'm baking some pies today for the boys because I have a ton of apples from our orchard, I'm hoping I can refrain from eating too much of it. I will allow myself a sliver with a cup of coffee later :)

kelijpa
10-05-2013, 01:09 PM
Planning on going to the beach today, got a walk in. We're planning on going to state parks near Yosemite and sneaking in somewhere if we can.

NewLeaf - so sorry to read about your toe, that stinks, I have a weird thing, sometimes with my second toe nail, it'll be sore for a couple days then be ok, like pressure under it, makes it tender.

Anyhow, will check back later.

Mrs Snark - hope things work out for you and Acadia, it still feels like vacation, not watching the news as much as I would be at home.

:sunny:

patchworkpenguin
10-05-2013, 03:17 PM
Pretty lazy day today. I'm in a hurry to finish my sweater vest so I've been working on that while watching episodes of CSI on the DVR.

Hubby gets home tomorrow afternoon, so it will be nice to have him back, but he has to go into work Monday as usual. :(

My back has now switched to my left side, {rolls-eyes} but My Icepack and I are hanging out today. They keep telling us its going to rain but it never does. but no point in planning yard work and I'm not sure I want to tempt fate anyway.

Sum38
10-05-2013, 04:06 PM
Just a quick check-in;

It is a date night. We are going out for sushi. Fish yesterday, sushi tonight; I love fish! I could eat it every day. Actually, I often times do.

So far my day has been successful. I had a light lunch and I am saving my calories for tonight's treat. No alcohol, so the calories should stay relatively low for the day.

I walked my 4.7 mile loop and hit the gym for some weights (And no Zumba I did not like it a bit :D). Scale is inching down, better low than high, right? I am hoping to get out of the 150's in 10 days, that is my mini goal. Officially I gave myself until the end of the month, but I am pushing myself a bit hard to drop weight faster. -- All my winter clothes are size 8 and I need to be able to fit into them soon. I am actually wearing size 8 pants tonight, with spanx ;) But most of my closet does not fit me. I did a lot of buying last year in size smaller than I was, now I finally just need to drop the weight that I could fit in them. -- I can do this!!

junem
10-06-2013, 08:40 PM
Hey all,
The weather by me is starting to turn cooler and autumn-ish. And all I want to do is eat carbs and fat and get ready to hibernate. I think I am part bear. After an active summer, I can feel myself slowing down. The shorter days don't help either.

I was thinking maybe we need a challenge. Say for veterans day, or the Wednesday before Thanksgiving day (also its the 1st night of Hanukah). Who has any thoughts. Should we start another Challenge Thread?

tefrey
10-06-2013, 11:27 PM
I would love a Thanksgiving challenge, junem! That's always a tough holiday ... actually everything from now until the end of the year is going to be tough.

But challenges really help keep me focused so bring them on!

Sum38
10-07-2013, 07:04 AM
I love challenges, junem, so I am game for one. Go head and start one :)

patchworkpenguin
10-07-2013, 02:42 PM
Weighed in today at 243.2 which isn't much of a change if not the same as the week before. sigh.

Hubby got home safely, if not a few hours late due to some last minute work and a flat tire. But its nice to have him back. He got some time off later this week, which will also be nice.

kelijpa
10-08-2013, 12:23 AM
Hi all, we got to drive through Yosemite, but you weren't supposed to stop. It was beautiful, but a little bittersweet. Definitely will have to go back.

Got a hike in near the ocean later in the day, we went across the state to a state park on the pacific coast highway, it was quite lovely.

Hope everyone's doing well :sunny:

Sum38
10-08-2013, 07:11 AM
Keli Your hike sounded beautiful!! Sorry that you were not able to stop at Yosemite.

Sum38
10-08-2013, 07:20 AM
Heidi are you hiding?

Mrs Snark
10-08-2013, 08:23 AM
Keli -- such a bummer that you can't spend more time in Yosemite, but I'm glad you're making them ost of the trip anyway. Lots of beautiful scenery there!

It looks like we won't be enjoying Acadia this week either, trying not to be a whiner about it, but *cry*! First travel in 3 years for me, I'm pretty disappointed.

newleaf123
10-08-2013, 01:02 PM
Heidi are you hiding?

Caught me! I was just about to post an update. Will do after I finish reading the thread :)

newleaf123
10-08-2013, 01:09 PM
I'm so sorry for MrsSnark's and kelijPA's vacations being affected by the shutdown. What a shame to not be able to enjoy these beautiful places through physical exertion! Glad you are still enjoying the area, kelijpa...

So here is my status. I'm just so sick of it all. Sick of being careful about food. Sick of exercising. Sick of thinking always about my weight. Just sick of it. Sick of being positive.

Here's what I know: there are 9,000 reasons to keep at it (health, strength, general feel good, clothing fitting, good example, etc). there is 1 reason to stop (the food I want to eat tastes good). Clearly the 9,000 outweighs the 1. Moderation just doesn't seem to work for me. I *should* be able to say, "and I can eat the food that tastes good, too -- just in moderation". Yeah, I can say the words. But year after year, time after time, I just can't live them.

So anyway... back at it. I changed the photo on my phone to be Munch's "The Scream" because it feels like a self portrait right now. Every time I look at my phone, I see it and say "Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!" Maybe that'll work!

I wish I could pinpoint what made this change happen. Anyway, I'm here. I'm not weighing myself until World Egg Day. I'm thinking I won't be in my happy place LOL

Mrs Snark
10-08-2013, 01:15 PM
Heidi -- I think it is natural to have ups and downs like you're having. I mean, this is all freaking hard work, and so tiresome sometimes (often), we can't always be feeling happy about having to put in this level of effort just to fit into our pants.

Don't beat yourself up about having those down moments, you're totally allowed!

newleaf123
10-08-2013, 01:18 PM
we can't always be feeling happy about having to put in this level of effort just to fit into our pants.

LOL'd - truly. Thanks! :hug:

mainecyn
10-08-2013, 02:56 PM
We go to Maine in 9 days (how did that get here so fast?!?!) and I'm really looking forward to all the hiking. It is possible we'll be in Acadia for the peak foliage, I have my fingers crossed!

I am from Maine, it is more than beautiful. I have been looking thru the thread trying to see if this is for someone trying to reach a weight of "40" or are in their "40's" Either way, thats me. I would love to get to 145, all the charts and indexes say that is where my weight should be, and I turned 40 this year. I have told myself that this is the year of 40 for me, 40 years old and I will hit the 140's , even if it is barely 149 lbs. I have set my first goal to reach 155, I have been able to reach that number several times, getting past it hasn't happened.

Moderation just doesn't seem to work for me. I *should* be able to say, "and I can eat the food that tastes good, too -- just in moderation". Yeah, I can say the words. But year after year, time after time, I just can't live them.

This is me as well. I can only do well if I completely eliminate certain items from my eating, I can NOT do any type of flour, sugar, bread etc. I just can't it doesn't work for me, I fall into a binge pattern that doesn't stop. Its like telling an alcoholic that they can have a drink aday, it doesn't work that way. It is frustrating. The last time I did the same, told myself be stronger than the food, you can eat anything you want just eat smaller portions, etc. etc. No, I can't, eventually I am abusing it, my head hanging out of the potato chip bag, half a cake missing, eating a loaf of bread and jar of peanut butter. I just can't.

Good day today, eating is still "clean" and not binging. Also, good day at work. My boss came into my office this morning saying needed to speak with me, I feared the worse, till he informed me that I will be honored by the school district and school board for the work I have done applying for grants for needy student, and in several instances reporting abuse and/or neglect. I am to attend a meeting next Monday with my boss, go thru the formal recognition, picture for the paper etc.

newleaf123
10-08-2013, 03:06 PM
Congratulations on the work honor maineCyn and welcome to the group! (We are all in or around ages 40-50)

mainecyn
10-08-2013, 03:13 PM
Thank you for the welcome. I don't have a group of people my own age to talk to, even my husband is a lot older than I am, and co-workers are either way younger in the 20's, or are my bosses age 60+. It is odd at times because either people I know are just moving out of home and into their first place, or talking about retirement, I don't know any other women my age lol.

SarainMN
10-08-2013, 03:28 PM
Hi Gals
I'm Sara from MN (turned 40 in April)
I started WW back in March 2012 and lost 50lb by Feb but then got stuck and the past month I've lost another 9...slow but steady

Mrs Snark
10-08-2013, 03:31 PM
I'm about to be 46, but my brain wants me to eat like I'm 15; I have zero short-term or long-term memory (so I'm simultaneously 80 years old and 3 years old); I have the sleep habits of a 18 month old barn owl, the kitchen habits of a 18 year old frat boy, and the attention span 18 hour old fruit fly.

I like to think I have everything (horrifically) covered, age-wise.

Welcome to the chat Mainecyn. Where in Maine are you from? It is such a lovely state, we go up every year (my father-in-law has a house there and splits his year between Maine and Florida).

And welcome Sara, also! You've done great, congratulations!

newleaf123
10-08-2013, 04:23 PM
Welcome, sara!

48 1/2 here, by the way.

Sum38
10-08-2013, 04:27 PM
:welcome3: SarainMN and mainecyn!! Nice to have you here and looking forward to getting to know you.

SarainMN
10-08-2013, 05:22 PM
you are funny Mrs Snark!!!

I'm also originally from the east coast (Mass)

mainecyn
10-08-2013, 07:26 PM
Welcome to the chat Mainecyn. Where in Maine are you from? It is such a lovely state, we go up every year (my father-in-law has a house there and splits his year between Maine and Florida).

I am from Lincoln County, Bremen, Maine. It is near Newcastle, Wisscassett, Rockland, and right on the ocean. I grew up there, my family is still there. We were about an hour and half from Portland.

junem
10-09-2013, 09:07 AM
Mrs. Snark, you crack me up. I'm about to be 46, but my brain wants me to eat like I'm 15; I have zero short-term or long-term memory (so I'm simultaneously 80 years old and 3 years old); I have the sleep habits of a 18 month old barn owl, the kitchen habits of a 18 year old frat boy, and the attention span 18 hour old fruit fly.

SarainMN, welcome.

Mainecyn, I also have been longing to see 14x.x on the scale. It feels like forever. But we will both get there.

tefrey, join our pre-Thanksgiving challenge.

Heidi, yaa its tiring and draining to be always battling with your weight and food. I hope you don't just throw in the towel, and I hope you make peace with your daily eating. I am sure you will find a creative solution. Maybe you just need some built-in indulgent times, or days off. Be kind to yourself.

Sum38
10-10-2013, 03:09 PM
We are quiet :(

I have had a few nice OP days and scale is nearing the 150 mark, 151 to be exact :) All of a sudden I am losing "inches" of my waist, in a week I lost 3/4 of an inch. I am quite pleased with that result.

I have exercised each day this month. Today I swam for 45 minutes.

I hope all is well with everyone!!

mainecyn
10-10-2013, 03:50 PM
We are quiet :(

I have had a few nice OP days and scale is nearing the 150 mark, 151 to be exact :) All of a sudden I am losing "inches" of my waist, in a week I lost 3/4 of an inch. I am quite pleased with that result.

I have exercised each day this month. Today I swam for 45 minutes.

I hope all is well with everyone!!

Wow, dropping inches is exciting! It reminds me that I haven't bothered to take measurements myself. I have that nasty ole tape measure hanging in the bathroom :devil: But, that voice keeps telling me this time its not going to be any different, I am not going to drop these last 20 pounds. I want to drop 30 but it never happens, I just can't get past 160 anymore. I get the first 20 lbs off and I'm happy, then it comes back on. grrrrr

I am finishing up my lunch break, getting ready to go back to work. I ate healthy, breakfast and lunch, as well as the snack I had-veggies. Its never my problem, the time at work, its after 5 at home that things get happening..i hear that voice in my head say "you might want to grab a snack before you cook dinner so you dont' over eat" then I start snacking more and more and I've consumed enough calories to make a meal instead of a snack.:(
I am reminding myself of this so I wont do it again tonight. If I could just get in the habit of having no snack it would be helpful. I've tried having a high protien snack, hard boiled eggs yesterday, and yet I still ate a couple more snacks.

kelijpa
10-10-2013, 07:38 PM
Hi all, sunny day in SoCal, yesterday it rained we helped my aunt with some yard work. It's definitely a different world out here. Has it's good points for sure, but way too busy for me.
Mrs. Snark - I heard some natl parks might reopen, hoping Acadia is one. Going to try and swing coming back out in the spring, not giving up on half dome, maybe that will motivate me to get back at it.

I've been stalled so long, I feel your pain, NewLeaf, it gets incredibly hard at times, I've seen some inspirational older people out on the walking trail near my aunt's house, it makes me want to stay active and be as fit as I can be for the long haul...I also see my mom struggling with some things because of her weight, I don't want to go through those struggles and wish I could help her somehow, I know we all have to do our thing in our own time. She does try to get a good walk in everyday, so that's good.

So DH made some chicken and roasted veggies for dinner tonight, can't wait to eat!! :rofl:

Sum you're doing great, stay strong!

newleaf123
10-11-2013, 07:39 AM
Thanks, ladies. June, no -- no throwing in of the towel here. It's just not an option. Fortunately I've thrown it in enough times to have learned my lesson; no good comes from that.

kelijpa, I'm glad you've been able to have a good vacation in spite of the closure. Yeah, definitely motivation to go back and do Half Dome another time. I went to Yosemite back in 1987, but wasn't much of a hiker then. Truly a beautiful place. I agree, don't like the CA pace of life. And, totally, doing this for the long haul. Look at my father; he has been an inspiration to me. At 72, he was doing 300-mile bike races. And now, after his accident, he is back on his bike at 75, still riding 40+ miles a few times a week. It's motivational to think about what do I need to be doing today so I can enjoy my life like my parents do when I'm their age.

Here, my World Egg Day is a total bust, coming in on the unhappy end of the scale at 156. But I know how I got here and I know how to get back. I'm setting myself a short-term 8-day goal to get rid of some excess for Saturday, October 19, Evaluate Your Life Day.

kelijpa
10-11-2013, 05:31 PM
NewLeaf as much as I'm enjoying the sun and relaxation I can't wait to get back on track, my aunt's old scale shows I'm holding steady, but today I feel like a fat oinker :rofl: I'm a bit petrified about what the scale is going to say...or yell at me...omg lunch was a killer today...and I know air travel causes water retention...hoo boy...still it's been fun

Hope all are doing well :sunny:

Sum38
10-12-2013, 08:47 AM
We are about to have another gorgeous day here in MI. 73 and sunny. Summer may had been yucky, but this fall has been to die for!

I am truly enjoying my daily walks through the woods. I have slowed down my speed a bit, because I am taking in all the sights and smells. (I still go 3.9 mph speed :D)

Boys are going golfing, DD is with her boyfriend, so it is just me alone enjoying this day.

Tonight I am meeting a GF for dinner. I am eating very light, mostly fruits all day to save my calories for a nice meal.

I woke up bloated. I made these really yummy stuffed Hungarian peppers, but I think there was a lot of sodium in them. I had added some V8 to keep them moist, oops. So it will be another green tea day.

Where is Rennie and Carma? They have not checked in.

junem
10-12-2013, 05:08 PM
Sum Your walk in the autumn woods sounds like a real treat. Here in Wisconsin the leaves are just gorgeous too. But so far I've mostly observed them while driving. Gotta love Fall in the Midwest.

Magicsusan
10-13-2013, 03:20 AM
Ha ha, I missed you guys so much! Junem, I totally hear you on the part bear thing; one day we were in Tuscany, the girls playing in the ocean, two days later we're mucking our way through snow for the six hour (turned ten hour, due to jams) drive home. I want to crawl into bed with a mug of tea, a cat, a book, and a bucket of Dunkin Donuts. Might be a good thing there are no DDs in Switzerland.

Mrs Snark, I don't want to alarm you, but I think you may be me.

No memory? Check.
Barn owl? Check.
Frat boy? Check.
Fruit fly? Oh! Look at that birdy!
Sorry to hear about that rough funeral. :hug:

Heidi, I'm sorry it's such a struggle at the moment. I hope the 'evaluation' gives you the info you need to figure out where to put your energy to make that bleeping earth finally move. I also sometimes resent the amount of my energy the whole 'fit into your pants' thing soaks up.

Kelijpa, Sum and all you new kids, it's nice to see you all!

I'm debating whether to skip tuesday's weigh in or not- not sure what's better for long term motivation; facing the numbers, accepting them and getting back on track? Or waiting a week while trying to get back in gear in the hopes that the numbers won't be so ugly next tuesday.

Because, I tell you, kids, Tuscany is a scene of carnage, now. Someone ripped through and left a trail of thoroughly nibbled pizza crusts, empty pasta plates, Chianti bottles and gelati cartons. It might have been me. Fortunately, I can't remember, because Ms. Snark and I seem to be sharing one remaining memory cell, and she's using it at the moment. The good newses are that A) my jeans still (technically) fit and B) I don't want to see any more *** ice cream until next summer.

Really, really missed you guys.

Sum38
10-13-2013, 08:18 AM
Susan! Welcome back!! Your vacation sounded divine!

kelijpa
10-13-2013, 09:59 AM
MagicSusan - Welcome back, it is good to be home. I hopped on the scale, it was better than expected, but I said to DH I may be dehydrated and will be blowing up like a puffer fish when I drink some water, lol. I hear you on the trying to decide what will be more motivating, DH has decided to get back on track and not weigh in until Friday, it all depends on you...I think if I weighed in higher it might have been an excuse to have some treats before starting back OP...we're planning on vegan/juice day Monday so still not sure if today is going to be OP or not...:rofl:

Looks like some beautiful fall weather, can't wait to go pick up my little dog at "camp" and get him out for a walk, I'm sure he can't wait either...he may be a little flippy when I get him...we'll all get back to normal soon enough.

More later, best to all :sunny:

newleaf123
10-13-2013, 12:10 PM
MagicSusan welcome back; I loved your description of destruction on the trip! Sounds fabulous!

KelijPA love that you don't know if today will be OP since tomorrow is juice/vegan. LOL therein lies the struggle, eh?

Here, wonderful weekend of food. For some reason I'm on a crockpot kick and made an Emeril recipe for beef stew. I am so not a beef stew person, I did this for DH. It was fantastic! Now I've got the pot going with Thai Red Curry Vegetables for tonight. Friday night we had Mojito Pinto Beans from it, over brown rice. I got a TON of wonderful vegetables from my organic CSA on Friday, and have been trying to have a plan so none goes to waste. I just roasted the beautiful beets, and juiced the beet greens along with a couple small organic apples. Delicious. I've been really embracing my "whole foods lifestyle" over the last few days, which is good since my episode with candy corn clearly was not whole food. LOL

Love2b150 sorry you're not getting much reply on your request for a texting partner :( I hope you find what/who you are looking for...

kelijpa
10-13-2013, 04:14 PM
Picked up a new rake while we were out to pick up little dog, I'm one of those strange people who love to rake...my arms are killing me right now, but got the ditch raked in case it rains and some of our path in the woods...it's a great day to be outside, the leaves are dry, the rake is wide but light, so I can't seem to stop :rofl:

NewLeaf - your crock pot meals sound fab, wish I could taste, we had probably our last little tomatoes from the garden, can't believe we didn't have a frost while we were gone. The squirrels didn't eat the sunflowers either so I'm going to try roasting some. I've read sunflower butter is better than peanut butter, not sure if I'm ambitious enough to try it , lots of hulling involved I'm sure.

Best to all, back to enjoying the beautiful day :sunny: it is good to be home

patchworkpenguin
10-13-2013, 06:32 PM
We just got back from a RV weekend at Chickasaw SP near Bolivar, TN. It rained for a while during our trip which just added to the humidity, but overall we had a nice time. The leaves are just starting to change, which make our hikes though the woods and around the lake extra pretty.

love2b150
10-13-2013, 07:01 PM
Sum nice job on the inches, and 3.9 on the walk, I'd like to get up to that speed. Maybe when I'm 10-15 lighter it won't seem so hard. I've got to remember the green tea. Thanks for asking me :hug:

Heidi thank you I did ... :) I'll bet your house smells really good :drool: I'm a candy corn nut also. Luckily I've eaten all of the candy corn and the only thing left are the pumpkins which I don't care for :shrug: so no worries there ;)

Penguin sounds really nice, I love fall also :)

well weight is still up but I have eaten OP today (so far) and we went to the gym so I am confident that I will have a better weigh in tomorrow as long as I don't screw up before bed. I still have a ton of water left to drink so we shall see.

I hope you all are doing well :hug:

Sum38
10-14-2013, 07:16 AM
I had a very stressful weekend. My blood pressure was sky high last night. It still has not come down, I think I'll take some meds for it. Even though weekend was stressful I did not turn into food for comfort. Yay for me!

I met an old girlfriend for dinner on Saturday night and that was really nice. We chaperoned together all marching band functions and had fun doing it. I hadn't seen her in over a year and it was nice to catch up. We went to Italian restaurant but I did not over eat or drink :) I ordered shrimp scmpi over rice. She ordered us Spanish coffee for dessert, which I drank about half...it was a very successful dinner out. Scale actually went down. -- I am learning to control myself :)

I am flirting with the 150 mark. 150.6 this am.... I am sure 140's are going to make me wait forever :D

Today I am trying to de-stress. I will take my long walk this morning and visit the gym this afternoon. House looks like a tornado went through it, so I will clean as well...cleaning always helps me to calm down. No matter how messy I feel inside, when outsides are getting cleaned it helps me.

Sending :dust: to all...keeping a little for myself as well.

kelijpa
10-14-2013, 07:42 AM
Good morning all, yesterday was pretty good food-wise, definitely feeling the raking this morning...ouch...lol

Got up at a decent time this morning, even though we stayed up too late last night, got to get back on east coast time, tomorrow morning will be a bear!

Hope everyone has a great day!

Great job on getting to the gym Love, I need to dust off my dumbbells and get back to it, and great job dealing with your stressors without turning to food Sum!

Zumbachica
10-14-2013, 02:47 PM
Hello all! Got home from New Hampshire yesterday.....it was an awesome getaway and just what I needed after a very stressful few weeks. We ate the usual camp food (hot dogs, marshmallows) and things I normally wouldn' eat but we had some long hikes and physical activity that I hope it ll evend out. I am happy to say that I did manage to fit into some of my Levis that for a long time didn't fit...so I was happy camper...literally! LOL....but back to life and basics. I am going to continue what I have been doing...intuitive eating on a low carb side......

love2b150
10-14-2013, 03:53 PM
Sum sorry about the stress :hug: glad you handled it without turning to food, well done my friend :high: I was just reading the alternatives to restaurant menu items in a diabetic cookbook. Glad you have that control. While I was reading it I was wondering what I'd do at a restaurant like Olive Garden. You'll see the 140's before you know it. There's a nice whoosh coming your way :crossed:

thanks keli, sorry about the aches from the raking, maybe some stretching will help. Feel better :hug:

Good to see you Zumba glad you had a nice time :)

I had a great weigh in this morning down 3lbs of water, nice little whoosh and my first one since coming back to 3FC. I have been totally OP today ... I want something to eat ... nothing in particular, I just want something to eat. So I made a grande size green tea :) Thanks Sum

Well I hope you all have a great remainder of the day and that we all can stay OP :hug:

Sum38
10-15-2013, 07:39 AM
Rennie, one day at a time. Actually one bite at a time! Congrats on your 3 pounds.

Zumba I am so happy that you had a nice camping trip with DG. And still jealous of those size 6 jeans :lol:

kelijpa This new house has so many trees, I am not looking forward to all that raking...you can come over and do mine :D

Penguin Leaves have changed here and all are falling off. When is your next trip?

Heidi I hope you are doing okay! Are you still staying away from your scale?

Sum38
10-15-2013, 07:42 AM
Not much to report. I stayed OP yet another day, yay me. I walked and worked out at the gym....my days are pretty boring.

One positive thing to report is that I have lost 5 pounds in October! I am 1 pound away from my October goal. I am very happy about this loss!!

Today I am walking with a GF. I told DH that I actually like when I have walking dates with my girlfriends, that is one less lunch out and in a mean time I am getting exercise as well.

Have a beautiful day my friends!

Magicsusan
10-15-2013, 08:00 AM
Well, according to the scale, I gained two pounds in Tuscany. Back on track, now. I refuse to move my ticker, though!

Kelijpa, great mental image- I envision you touching water and then puffing up like a full-body wasp-sting victim! Oh noes!

Heidi- I actually really like whole foods; I rarely touch white bread and bake a lot of it myself. Whole wheat pasta... mmmm....

PwP, I really miss the east-coast foliage. There are not a lot of red trees here- it's a north american mutation, though there are some imported ones. We do have some dark purple leaves, though... Wish it would stop raining so I could enjoy the walks instead of just enjoying the fact that I did the walk. *sigh*

Zumba, the hiking sounds great. For me, modified intuitive eating has turned out to be the most maintainable.

love2b, i hear you on the munchies. This time of year, I eat a *lot* of apples.

The walking dates sound like a great idea, Sum. Enjoy your Autumn!

Everybody else, hope you're all well. Remember: nix candy, eat yummy apples! :carrot:

I'm thinking of taking a course in bookbinding. Would keep my hands busy and out of the cookie jar, :D

patchworkpenguin
10-15-2013, 10:13 AM
Susan, the joke around here is that we only have two weeks of fall and it rains the whole time, so not much of a chance to get out and enjoy the cooler weather. Good job on keeping up the walks.

Sum, I'd like to try another weekend this month but its not looking good with Hubby's work. I'm sure there's going to be a point where I decide its gotten too cold for me, and I don't want to go camping anymore. We've only had the camper a few months so that was only our 3rd trip so we are trying to see what happens as we go.

Rennie, I love Olive Garden. I try to stay out of there. its dangerous.

I weighed in today at 244.0. So I'm very good at maintaining but I need to start losing!

Zumbachica
10-15-2013, 05:25 PM
Hi all....I have been a bad girl today......eating a lot of what I shouldn't be eating...I'm very nervous about some financial stuff that is going on......hitting up the cookies that I bought for the kids...oy......getting back on the wagon tomorrow...now that I finally got into those LEVIS I have to fight to stay in them..and be able to breathe...

Right now i'm a little bloated from not having "gone" for quite a number of days...what do you ladies suggest? prunes? sorry to turn this into an old lady subject....

I haven't gotten on the scale for a while......I guess I should do that tomorrow...because when I don't is when things get out of control,,,

kelijpa
10-16-2013, 05:45 AM
Up a little this morning, MFP helping me to make some adjustments in my eating plan. Hope everyone has a great day :sunny:

newleaf123
10-16-2013, 07:32 AM
Hi, everyone. Avoiding the scale as I cruise into Self Evaluation Day on 10/19. I have hit that crucial point. My smallest pants are snug. I have given away all my larger clothes. The rubber has hit the road. How will I respond?? This is the turning point, right? I decline to put the weight back on, so back into "diet mode" I go. I wish it didn't have to be is way, but I accept that it does. :(

On the "evaluation" front, I'm bored. Looking into going back to school part time for a(nother) masters degree. More on that later.

Happy to hear about your loss, love2b, and how you are managing your stress sum. Oh, and that your weekend with DG was fun in your size 6 Levi's, zumba!!!

:wave: to all!

Magicsusan
10-16-2013, 08:20 AM
Prunes, yes, but also lots and lots of water, Zumba.

kelijpa
10-16-2013, 08:19 PM
Having a good time with myfitnesspal, eye opening :sunny:

love2b150
10-16-2013, 11:27 PM
Thanks Sum (as my daughter would say) I knowwwww ;)

Susan I love apples and I was eating two a day. I had read somewhere it helps with blood sugar though I don't know.

Penguin we've had a lot of rain and if it isn't raining it's really cloudy. Yeah I was thinking that I'd have to do that also with Olive Garden. Even their house salad with their dressing is high in calories.

Zumba :hug: I know how you feel on having not "gone" I haven't been since Saturday so tonight I bought some prune juice. I know a warm cup usually helps me go eventually :D

keli MFP helps me make better decisions also (with my carbs)

Heidi, you've got this and I'm sure it won't take you long for your clothes to fit the way you want. You look great :)

Sum38
10-17-2013, 06:34 AM
I added Elliptical to my routine. Kinda crazy; I walked 4 miles outdoors, lifted weights and then hopped on that Elliptical. Scale rewarded me with nearly 2 pound drop. I am out of the 150's!!! I am past my September goal... I've lost almost 7 pounds this month and we are barely half way through it. -- I feel renewed and happy!

junem
10-17-2013, 10:16 AM
Sum. You have literally walked your a** off these past few weeks and months. You earned this victory. Let me be the 1st on this thread to say congratulations.
:)

Hope I can join you in the 140's soon.
Stay hydrated. Keep at it.

love2b150
10-17-2013, 10:30 AM
Way to GO Sum :cheer: I am happy for you :)

June You CAN do it and You WILL do it, Go June Go :cheer:

I had a nice weigh in also. I am down 1.4lbs to 184.6 that is lower than my September low of 185.8 on 9/26. I usually hit 185 and bounce back up to 187 .... soooo this time the scale skipped that number I hope I can keep this going. Oh how I want to see the 170's. Haven't been there since 2011 I think.

Have a great day everyone :hug:

newleaf123
10-17-2013, 12:26 PM
sum that is awesome!! I am so happy for you!!

:carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot:

kelijpa
10-17-2013, 08:38 PM
Congrats Sum!

Way to go Love, keep thinking positive!

Hoping Mrs Snark gets to Acadia, the national parks were supposed to reopen today.

Made good choices at a going away luncheon for a coworker today. The MFP is helping with snacking so far, hopefully it'll last.

love2b150
10-17-2013, 10:14 PM
thanks keli :) I think it's something about seeing those numbers in front of you that makes it real ... when they are all there at the same time.

I'd like to find a site that counts net carbs though. That would make me so much happier (I think)

wnet over my calories today, carbs were higher today also. Hoping for a nice weigh in tomorrow :)

have a good night everyone :hug:

Sum38
10-18-2013, 07:34 AM
I had purchased these jeans from WHBM about a year ago that did not fit me at all, until yesterday; I was rocking them all day long :)

I have somehow turned my body into fat burning machine...lol...down nearly another pound. Let's hope this motivation lasts! I am 5+ pounds away from a normal BMI number. Woot!

Rennie, have you tried myfittnesspal.com ?I use it daily. It is also like Facebook for fitness where you can have friends. If anyone is interested in friending me there, my nick is Kristiina67...just remember all i's...ya...my name is strange.

I have a busy exercise day day planned ahead; walk, lifting weights and elliptical again. Thank goodness I don't have a job :D

Have a happi day :sunny:

Mrs Snark
10-18-2013, 01:29 PM
Hello all, I'm glad to be back home and ready for the rest of this year! Not that I want to rush it past or anything, lol, but this time of year always to slide by so fast into the holidays!

I will catch up on the thread tonight, just wanted to pop in and say hi to everyone!

love2b150
10-18-2013, 01:57 PM
Sum, I'm on there ... Have been for about 2 years and I don't know how to just get the net carbs unless someone has already entered it that way. (I guess beggars can't be choosy) and if I want only net carbs I'll have to re-enter all of my food that way. :)

Sum you are funny :) re: job ;)

well I was up a pound to 185.6, I'll tell you my body has a magnet set to that number. I didn't sleep well, on about 5.5 hours of sleep, had to come into work early which I already knew but my 9 year is such a brat (my fault). Mornings are so much better when I go in later :)

Sheila22
10-18-2013, 08:06 PM
Hello Everyone!

I've been AWOL for awhile, but these boards really help keep me on track so I'm BACK! I need to get to know everyone again! :D

I've decided to get serious about my health and losing this weight. I was 183, lost 40 pounds last year and gained 20 back this year. :( Today I weighed in at 161.5.

I've given up my wine until I reach my goal (today is day 4), and am eating low carb and exercising 5 times a week. I will check in here daily to stay inspired, and hopefully I can inspire some of you!

I'll check in again tomorrow!

It's good to be back,
Sheila

Sum38
10-18-2013, 09:38 PM
Nice to have you back Sheila! Sorry about the pounds gained.

love2b150
10-18-2013, 11:21 PM
Hi Sheila nice to meet you :) I'm on day 6, low carb and so far exercising 6 days a week.

patchworkpenguin
10-18-2013, 11:57 PM
Shelia, welcome, glad to have you join us.

So this week I've tried a few new things diet wise, and have pretty much figured out what doesn't work. sigh. The weather finally changed to highs in the 70s, so I broke out some jeans, a few long sleeves and my boots, Everything seems to fit so far. I had a scary moment with the jeans but they have spandex so after a few minutes walking around I could breathe again. :dizzy: I just need to drag the rest of my winter clothes out of the attic.

Mrs Snark
10-19-2013, 10:07 AM
Congratulations, Sum, that is ASWESOME! :carrot:

Keli -- never got into Acadia, I think it may have reopened the day we left, such a bummer. Hiked alot of different areas Downeast, however, so I can't complain too much, it is all beautiful there!

Zumbachica
10-19-2013, 07:07 PM
Hi all....nice to see everyone here.....I had a super stressful week ..lots of divorce stress , kids stress and then to top it off a urinary track infection. Lord give me strength!!! Needless to say my eating has been all over the place. Doctors office called the other day because my cholesterol is high and suggested I go on Lipitor..they were being really pushy about it but I refused. I'd rather just live with it being my only risk factor .....the side effects of statins just so I could lower my chance of heart attack by one percent don't seem worth it. I'd rather just eat oatmeal every day.....

anyhow Sum talking about her jeans made me motivated to try and get back into more of mine. I have a pair of black jeans that I would love to get back into ....I can't zip them. another pair I can zip them but they are so tight they hurt and it looks like I tried stuffing ten lbs of potatoes into a one pound bag...LOL......not pretty at all. But I shall go on......one thing I have to say about this site is that no matter what is going on we all hang in there and we try...there's something to be said about that....

patchworkpenguin
10-19-2013, 07:25 PM
We went out to my parents house today, and I got to drive my Dad's 68 Mustang {His project car} I only drove it around the block and I might have made it up to 40mph, but for someone who hasn't driven in over a decade I did ok. He's worked on this car for four years and its finally at the driving stage.

I've been alternating working on a quilt and knitting hats for charity/homeless. We are testing the heat to make sure it works, before we find we really need it.

kelijpa
10-19-2013, 11:17 PM
Hope everyone is doing well. Got in a nice dog walk this morning, food went off the rails after dinner, why did I think baking a cake was anywhere near a good idea...I really don't feel guilty about it, even though I ate way too much of it. Anyway, juice/veg day tomorrow and maybe c25k depending on the weather. So it'll be better, that reminds me I need to finish logging today.

Sorry you didn't get into Acadia, Mrs Snark, that bites...

Edited to add: the scale rewarded me with a gain as expected, today is a new day, got that out of my system, staying positive!

Sum38
10-20-2013, 10:45 AM
DH, DS and I went to see Michigan State football game yesterday afternoon. I am not a huge football fan, but it was nice to be outside and in the crowds, plus spending time with the boys was very nice. I had a lot to look at, because I am such a people watcher :D I enjoyed the marchingband half time shows.

Today we are going to a pumpkin patch, yep I will make my nearly adult children (in this case only one can make it, the other has to work) to go and pick out their pumpkins :lol: My adult child is sad that she does not get to go.

I lost weight 9 days straight, today I had a little bounce upwards

Have a healthy day my friends. :grouphug:

Zumbachica
10-21-2013, 07:32 AM
patchwork: My husbands first car ever was a 68 mustang, it had that tiny window in the back....I think they called it the deathback..LOL...now he has a 68 Shelby cobra that he has to buy me out of because of the divorce...sounds like you had a fun time driving......I can't imagine not driving in ten years....how do you get around? you must live in a city....

Sum; what can I say except that youre leaving the rest of us in the dust! LOL..but you have worked so hard. I am so impressed by your workouts.....keep doing what you're doing, its working!

Kelijpa: I like to bake for my kids but its never a good idea..LOL.....

Snark: I absolutely LOVE hiking.....sounds like you had an awesome time

Love2b Low carb is the way to go.

Hi Sheila...Yanno I knew a woman that lost well over a hundred pounds, and she toldme that along the way there was a lot of times she had to "start over"....even though you gained some back you're still ahead of the game...good to see you so motivated...you can do this...

newleaf123
10-21-2013, 10:55 AM
Hi, everyone. Did a nice 3-mile hike in the woods this AM. Mentally restorative. Considering lots of different avenues to bring some enrichment to my life...

patchworkpenguin
10-21-2013, 04:27 PM
Doing exciting laundry today, and playing catch-up on the things I didn't get done this weekend. Hubby requested sloppy joes for dinner tonight.

Chica, I have vision problems {black spots and distortion} so I gave up driving, for everyone's safety! I was never very comfortable driving anyway. I'm sure if I was ever in a wreck, even if it wasn't my fault, I'd get the blame and sued.

jennykay
10-21-2013, 07:28 PM
Well I tried my first Bodypump class at the gym on Friday because my goal is to incorporate more strength training. While I enjoyed the class and used super-low weights to focus on form, my body as been in major pain and I haven't been able to do my regular exercise! I am getting great at stretching :) I know it will get better but I may try to ease into strength training before I do Bodypump again.

kelijpa
10-21-2013, 09:35 PM
MFP got me to give up the liquid donut tonight. Having fun with it and trying not to get to obsessed...lol

Feeling good after run today, I really felt like today was a make or break with the c25k, I felt like if I didn't go today I would fall into that quitting before I quite finished it, so glad I went. I feel good.

LuvCats
10-21-2013, 09:41 PM
Hey all. :)

I've been away for awhile... some of it still OP some not so much but I'm still attempting to plug along. Nice to see so many familiar faces and several new ones. Will try to check in again tomorrow. Have a good one all!

danimae11
10-22-2013, 10:47 AM
Been reading through the posts on here. I am 40 and weight loss seems impossible lately! Ugh! I lost 52 pounds when I was 32 but gained like 35 back. Now the metabolism is slowing and my bowels are irregular... I need my groove back!

jennykay
10-22-2013, 11:01 AM
Yes, I am now 41 and it's a whole different experience. I have had no success until this past week when I committed to low carb. Finally some weight is coming off! You will find what works for you but it may take some trial and error :) Good luck with your groove!

danimae11
10-22-2013, 12:49 PM
I had some success with low carb, but when the budget is tight pasta and rice are what's for dinner. Isn't it sad that healthy food costs more? Good luck Jennykay!

newleaf123
10-22-2013, 09:19 PM
Wow, I just realized I haven't been to the gym in almost a month! I was thinking about going tomorrow; now I know I must go. I'm going to use you guys to hold me accountable!

patchworkpenguin
10-22-2013, 11:00 PM
I finally did a workout! my first since August! I did 25min of cardio! it doesn’t sound like much compared to the 60min I used to do but by the end of the warm-up I was ready for a nap but I kept going.

baby steps

Zumbachica
10-23-2013, 02:28 PM
Hi guys..ive been teaching 7 zumba classes a week and I am exhausted...my shin splints hurt and so do my feet..but the worse part is...I am not losing weight, in fact I am GAINING because working out to this extreme makes me ravenous......moral of the story..exercise is detrimental to weight loss...LOLOL..only kidding....but its definitely not doing jack diddly for me.

junem
10-23-2013, 03:00 PM
Zumba. Wasn't it 2FatCats who used to have the tagline "I don't mind gaining weight, as long as it's muscle." As we have all been told time and again, muscle weighs more than fat.

I think you are probably ravenous because your body needs fuel to keep building muscle and get through those zumba sessions.

Zumbachica
10-23-2013, 03:48 PM
Patchwork, my mom never learned how to drive...we lived in the city and she took trains buses and taxis to to where she needed to go...It was fine.....not everyone drives....we seem to forget that especially because everyone also asks to see license as identification...

Zumbachica
10-23-2013, 03:50 PM
Junem I think you're right...but if I want to take a nap when I get home from zumba when am I supposed to find the energy to lift weights...that might stress out my body even more....I have to figure this out.....maybe i'll lift weights on the two days that my classes are lightest....even if its kettlebells at home with my DVD....I hate feeling this way, it isn't healthy.

patchworkpenguin
10-23-2013, 05:42 PM
Today, My mother gave me a picture of myself taken in HS in 86. I didn't look to weird {that came later when I dyed my hair pink} so I sent a copy of the picture to my Hubby {who didn't know me then}. He sent me back a 'Hubba Hubba' in response! That was sweet of him. He's changed a lot since HS also, he was skinny with long dark hair, he didn't 'fill out' until years later, but now shaves his head.

After a long hiatus I'm trying to get back into exercising. Yesterday, I did 25min of cardio and I was watching the clock the whole time just waiting for it to be over. I did a similar workout today at 26min and when she announced the cool-down stretch I was surprised that it was over so quickly. Perception is a funny thing.

My eating has been terrible the past week. I weighed and was up a few lbs but this is TOM and I also switched to my long sleeve and pants pjs instead of shorts and a tee, so hopefully that was the extent of it. I hope

Mrs Snark
10-23-2013, 06:09 PM
When I was training to run half marathons I was hungry ALL THE TIME. I know so many women who gained weight while training for half and fulls. You would think you'd lose weight easily -- but it was a serious battle not to gain. It is difficult to work out so much in a calorie deficit.

For me there is a line past which cardio is probably detrimental to trying to lose weight. It is one of the reasons I don't mind running much lower mileage these days, I don't feel ravenous!

soon2beskinnyCarma
10-23-2013, 06:55 PM
I'm Back!!!!!!!!
Fell off the wagon. Back finding religion. I discovered that although I excel at losing weight I also do a fine job of gaining it back. Going back to basics. Counting all my calories and drinking all my water and trying for at least 30 minutes of exercise each day but goal is an hour. I need to start exercising in the am again. These cold mornings have made me want to stay snug as a bug. I also realized I really fell off the 3fat chicks posting wagon. If I am going to stay accountable to me I need to stay accountable to you. You are the weight watchers meeting I refuse to pay money for.
Went down to see my sister. Came home to stressed out husband because his Mom is in the hospital. Not doing well and his dad is trying to drive himself an hour and a half and it took him 4 hrs. as he is getting lost and confused(he has Parkinson's) I managed to stay on target for when my Mom was dying and lose 30lbs. I lost another 23 lbs. after she died and I did not come this far to stress eat my weigh back just because of his family issues. So says the woman who ate 6 oreo's tonight. Time to go exercise for a half an hour, maybe I will do a you tube walk thing with Leslie something. Night all and glad to be back.

Mrs Snark
10-23-2013, 07:05 PM
Welcome back Carma! It is scary how easily we fall back into old behaviors, isn't it? I'm glad you were able to halt the train and "come back to your senses" as they say. Sometimes that process has, sadly, taken me years. I know how easy it is to get off track!

kelijpa
10-23-2013, 08:14 PM
Hi everyone! Got my jog in still can't believe I can jog for 25 minutes, you guys are probably sick of hearing me say it. Sorry...
Scale is slowwwly going down and today my pants felt snug, go figure, I'm just going to keep on keeping on, eating better foods and thinking more about what I'm eating.

Wow Zumba, that's quite schedule, no wonder you're hungry! I'm going to get back to the weights after I complete this c25k program, I've found I can only focus on one thing at a time and am loving getting back into jogging.

Hi Carma, welcome back, sounds like you're in the right frame of mind.

Have to take the little dog out, be back later.

jennykay
10-23-2013, 09:17 PM
Hi all! I decided to try Bodypump again today. It was tough but I can already tell I will be sore, but not unable to move, like after the first class. Progress!

Patchwork, what kind of cardio are you doing? I have never been able to do the treadmill until this week when I discovered the gym has new ones with built in TVs. I ended up going longer because there was a Househunters show in Paris I wanted to see the end of. Maybe you can find a distraction that works for you...

patchworkpenguin
10-23-2013, 10:35 PM
Jenny, I'm currently doing segments from this new workout DVD http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/cathe-friedrichs-x10-6440 I have a lot of Cathe's workouts and enjoy my times with her, lol. I have a lot of workout dvds but I've been neglecting them this past year. I have a treadmill but like you I find it boring. I've hooked a DVD player up to it but really even that doesn't help much with just walking, but it seems in the winter I like to 'run intervals' on it so I keep it around.

Carma, glad to have you back! I find I do better when I'm posting. I'm more honest with you guys and then more honest with myself. Sorry to hear about all the family stress.

Kelijpa, feel free to keep raving about your jogging! Its worth being excited over.

kelijpa
10-24-2013, 05:47 AM
I definitely do better when I'm posting here!

Jenny and Penguin - I found the Kindle to be great for the treadmill, I make the font a little larger than regular and get distracted by the book, especially for walking.

Thanks again for the support!

newleaf123
10-24-2013, 06:34 AM
I've done a lot of kindle reading in the past, while doing cardio. Yesterday I listened to a radio station called 80s Dance Music, and while it's not really my music, it's my era so I know the songs and I definitely go faster to them. Sometimes, if I'm going for a really long duration, I'll listen to an hour- long podcast of This American Life.

Keep up the C25K kelijpa, it's awesome!

Sum38
10-24-2013, 09:17 AM
I was a bad, bad girl for a few days and scale jumped up 4 pounds. Oh why is it so easy for that darn scale go up and it crawls downwards? So I am back in the 150's, which I swore I would never see again :mad: -- Live and learn. I did clean eating all day yesterday and I am ready to do it again today.

I woke up to a frosty ground this morning. I am waiting a bit to see if the weather warms up, before I go for my morning walk. I do like walking when it is cold, though. I did not walk yesterday nor did my gym routine... so easy to slack off. But today is a new day!

Heidi How was your workout yesterday? -- Keeping you accountable :)

guacamole
10-24-2013, 11:06 AM
Hello, all. Still staying within calorie range, but my clothes are fitting tight. Although, since I am mainly wearing pajamas every day, maybe wearing street clothing will feel more restrictive. Right? :)

Although I tend to avoid the scale anyway, it does keep me accountable, and it is hard not being able to weigh myself. I am just so scared that in 1 month, when the cast comes off, I am going to be 10 lbs heavier if not more! It's frustrating.

Good luck, today!

newleaf123
10-24-2013, 11:53 AM
sum thanks for keeping my feet to the fire! My schedule prohibited me from getting to the gym yesterday but I did do a very fast 35 min on the elliptical in my basement. Today I serendipitously found 3-hour free parking in the city when I went in for a quick errand, so I went on a spontaneous 4-mile walk so that was fun. So, still not he gym, but I'm moving!

Guac, can you weigh yourself with the cast so you get a new baseline and can monitor upward or downward movement?

kelijpa
10-24-2013, 07:50 PM
Heidi, I love podcasts, this American Life is great, Radiolab, the Moth, sort of like short story audiobooks...

Sum, good to see you back, I was starting to worry about you, glad you're back, you're so right about the difference between going up and down, we just have to get back at it...

Guac, I've been on a bit of an avocado kick lately, I've had one for lunch 3 of the last 4 days...sorry about your injury, I think there's something to your theory, like when you switch from sneakers to heels, feels restrictive.

Stayed within my calories pretty well this week, hoping for a small loss that will stay off...

Sum38
10-25-2013, 07:29 AM
Stayed OP and scale dropped 3 pounds of the bloat :woohoo: and I am under 150 pounds. I am not going back up there again!

Today I will walk my 5 mile walk and swim for 45 minutes. I am a terrible swimmer...therefore I burn a lot of calories :lol: I am usually totally exhausted after 45 minutes of swimming.

Thank goodness it is Friday. We have a busy weekend ahead of us. Last cross country meet for my DS and DD wants to get her pumpkin from the pumpkin patch. We will be all over town. If weather allows, I would like to go to Cider Mill as well....fall is so much fun.

Sending :dust: to all!

guacamole
10-25-2013, 08:03 AM
Sum38 - great job on the loss and getting under 150! :carrot:

newleaf123 - great job on the elliptical and the walk! Movement is movement. I think when we find exercise too enjoyable or easy, we discount it. Walking is great exercise!

kelijpa - I often listen to podcasts and lectures when I work out...however, when I am doing a more challenging workout, I need my music! Oh...and heels are but a distant memory for now!

As far as the scale...I am so off balance, that hopping onto a scale on one leg isn't in the cards right now....especially in my tiny bathroom. I seem to take up a lot of space these days.

Have a successful day, everyone!

kelijpa
10-25-2013, 08:05 AM
Had a little whoosh this morning, feel like things are going in the right direction, am going to try and not overdo the "treat" days this weekend...

Congrats Sum! From a silly movie "never give up, never surrender". Funny you're working so hard to get out of the 150s and I'm working so hard to get there :rofl:

We have a tiny bit of snow on the deck and on the cars... :fr:

newleaf123
10-25-2013, 08:58 AM
Congratulations, Sum!! I saw your weight in the weekly weigh-in thread earlier today and was (am) so happy for you!!

guac, so true re discounting exercise when it isn't drudgery! What's with that?? Hope you are mending well...

kelijpa we got a little sprinkling of snow yesterday, too. I went out and clipped a final bouquet of flowers; I think the season has officially come to an end...

:wave: to everyone.

junem
10-25-2013, 01:50 PM
I too love THIS AMERICAN LIFE. I usually end up catching it when I am in the car. I didn't now so many of us were NPR listeners, that is pretty interesting. I confess that I used to have a crush on Ira Glass' voice (but seeing what he looked like kinda ended that).

I also enjoy The Moth, and Snap Judgement.

Zumbachica
10-25-2013, 04:15 PM
hmmm...I thought I posted here yesterday but I guess not...i'm losing my mind.......anyhoo today I am back on track. I also joined a small gym I don't work at so I can work out in peace.....I'm excited about using resistance training equipment again, I just have to make it a habit....this gym was ridiculously inexpensive so I don't feel bad if it doesn't work out.....I can just cancel my membership and get on with my life..but I figure I would go there twice a week when i'm in that area for work, and theres a great supermarket in that shopping center where I can do some food shopping....so its all planned out in my head.....

So happy that today was my last class and I have the weekend free....going to my summer place to get ready to sell ( :( ) Not happy about it but I can't afford to keep it any longer.....hope to walk when i'm out there for exercise.....

I'm finding lately that i'm getting heartburn.....probably from all the divorce stress....or maybe it is because of the extra weight i'm carrying.....

hope everyone is having a good day and I wish you all a good weekend.

kelijpa
10-26-2013, 09:01 AM
June - thanks for the heads up, won't look for pics of Ira Glass, lol...

Chinese last night, scale reacted as expected, no worries, freezing cold this a.m. no kidding, I think it was in the 20s this morning up to 34 now...wish I could head down to visit Mrs. Snark :D

It's supposed to get into the 50s today so planning on hitting the rail trail as it is archery season here and don't want to get punctured walking in the woods...a few of our neighbors that only come up for hunting are up so will head over there, supposed to get some sun today.

We were planning on going to Chipotle for dinner, then ended up on the other side of town and decided on chinese food, I had logged in a burrito bowl and chips and guac at Chipotle, I was shocked at the calories there, especially the chips and guac, 750...they talk alot about using responsibly raised meats and local produce, etc. but you can't hardly put together a meal for under 800 calories, definitely a once in a great while treat. The burrito tortilla is 290 calories by itself...anyway, not that the chinese is any better, but always surprising to me when I feel like a place is serving healthy food and then see the actual nutritional value.

hope everyone is having a good weekend, will be bundling up and heading out to clear out some more of the garden today as well.

best to all :sunny:

newleaf123
10-26-2013, 01:35 PM
kelijpa, you can totally order things that aren't on the menu at Chipotle. When I go, yes, it raises eyebrows from the server, but I order 1 veggie soft taco (their standard order is 3) and that's it. It's enough to get the taste and flavor of Chipotle without all the calories... Oh, and I'm all over them with how much cheese and guac they put on. They tend to be generous, and I just want a sprinkling. Yeah, I embarrass my sons. I'm over it. ;)

kelijpa
10-26-2013, 10:21 PM
That's awesome Newleaf! Have to remember that, I so love their guacamole but I'd have to just get chips and Guac and come back another time for a burrito bowl ...lol or walk many many miles...

Completed week 7 day 3 of c25k today! Yippity!! DH went with me to the rail trail, he jogs faster in shorter spurts, we came up with something that worked for us, it was fun having him there and such a great feeling to be able to show him what I've worked up to.

Picked my sunflowers today, first year the squirrels left them for us, have them soaking in some salt water to roast tomorrow.

We watched a spooky movie tonight, The Conjuring, can't tell you how many times I gasped and jumped, fun this time of year...lol

healthytobe
10-26-2013, 10:54 PM
Wow I a late on this thread but it was fun to read! Mrs Snark love those pictures! It was inspirational watching you shrink in the same outfit! I loved allyour stats and yes you do love your stats! Love I hope your back is better! I am a physical therapist and I know the worst thing you could do is nothing...Walk, do back bends...its probably well by now though :) Thanks guys for all the inspiration :)

Sum38
10-27-2013, 09:01 AM
:welcome3: healthytobe

Sum38
10-27-2013, 10:01 AM
Heidi I just checked out This American Life and looks interesting. That would give me some great entertainment during my boring elliptical workouts.

Keli You are doing amazing with your running progress! Wow.

Zumba Yay for weight lifting! -- I still hate it ;) but keep doing it 2-3 x week.

Sum38
10-27-2013, 10:15 AM
I had a day filled with temptations and I won. :yay: I wish scale had showed me some appreciation and love :lol: -- I am kinda stuck at 148/149 pound range, need to figure out how to jump start my loss again.

I did not count calories yesterday but eating was pretty good, actually calories were prolly too low for the day.

I have been buying size 6 clothing. Each time WHBM has their "take extra 30% off internet sales" I order a few items. Those sales are amazing. I have been buying $180 items as low as $22. -- Size 6 zips up, but I need to drop another 10-15 pounds before they "fit". Hoping to be 10 pounds lighter by Christmas.

Another beautiful day here...well yesterday was yucky and we were outdoors almost the entire day. -- So today I get to enjoy my walk in sunny weather.

Sending :dust: to all.

soon2beskinnyCarma
10-27-2013, 03:17 PM
Sum, your doing awesome. You will be in those size 6 clothes in no time. My neighbor down the street has offered me some size 14 clothes that will be inspiration to me hopefully.

:welcome2: Healthytobe!

Kellipa: great job on the running.

Heidi, Mrs Snark, JuneM and Zumba: :wave:

:tantrum: So I am getting frustrated with myself. I need to find time for me and get back in a routine. Today's food has consisted of various Halloween candy. Not good. . I am off to go to a wine and cheese party soon. I don't drink wine but do buy some for gifts. It is being offered wholesale so I figure I better go. Going to drink a nice healthy shake on the ride and hopefully it will help with my friends food that she makes.

Mrs Snark
10-27-2013, 03:45 PM
My busy weekend is winding down. I take my guest to the airport this evening. We've had lots of fun and we've even managed to keep the snacking down to a bare minimum, which is great because when we lady folks get together we can sometimes go a bit wild with the vino and the snacks.

Wow I a late on this thread but it was fun to read! Mrs Snark love those pictures! It was inspirational watching you shrink in the same outfit! I loved allyour stats and yes you do love your stats! Love I hope your back is better! I am a physical therapist and I know the worst thing you could do is nothing...Walk, do back bends...its probably well by now though :) Thanks guys for all the inspiration :)

Welcome Healthytobe! Thanks for the nice comments! My back is waaaay better but apparently it is going to be a chronic problem. You are so right that doing nothing is terrible for it, really awful! I am always working on the balance between doing too much and doing to little!

Chinese last night, scale reacted as expected, no worries, freezing cold this a.m. no kidding, I think it was in the 20s this morning up to 34 now...wish I could head down to visit Mrs. Snark :D

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Any time you're down on the east coast of Florida you let me know! Right now the manatee and dolphin action is peaking and the temperature is lovely (just tempting you!)!

Zumbachica
10-27-2013, 10:55 PM
WELCOME HEALTHYTOBE!!!!!

Hi All...I hope you all had a good weekend. I started the weekend off at around 145 and I wonder what I will wind up with tomorrow. I'm back to weighting myself on the scale..not doing so is like me sticking my head in the sand......what is more important to me than the number is how my clothes fit..and right now they aren't fitting well...at all.

SUM congrats on getting into sixes.....tahts a big accomplishment. I haven't bought anything from WHBM in a while..I'm waiting until after a weight loss an after my move to see if there is any money left.....it is such a beautiful store and they have the prettiest jeans.

tomorrow is Monday and its back to routine....It should be a doozy of a week. One friend finds out if her cancer that is back can be treated....another friends/ three year old is having surgery on his kidneys..a I need to give some serious thought to moving and get the ball rolling..get ready for closing......my head is spinning....

Mrs Snark
10-28-2013, 11:29 AM
Zumbachica - I have a love/hate relationship with the scales. It seems most of us do. But they definitely help keep me on track. You have a tough week ahead of you, hang in there!

Sum - wow, those are awesome sales, I need to do that too! How often do they do the extra 30% off? Heading over to their site now!

patchworkpenguin
10-28-2013, 07:37 PM
I feel like I've been running around in circles this past week trying to get everything ready for Hubby's work trip out of town this week. Laundry, groceries, getting him to do those last minute things he promised he'd do before he left. Today is his first day gone and discovered I've been eating more than usual, so I'm trying to get a grip on that. I hurt my knee last Wed so I've been hobbling around on that, but its finally feeling better so I can think about exercise again.

Healthytobe, glad to have you join us.

Kelijpa, Hubby is in your neck of the woods this week, he's much better with cold than I am. I was watching a Syfy Zombie movie this morning, when my dog started making noise in the other room and made me jump. :dizzy:

kelijpa
10-28-2013, 09:05 PM
Hello all, thanks for the words of encouragement! Got day 1 of week 8 in today, feeling great, definitely feels like I did something :D I truly forgot how great running makes you feel. Strong and confident.

Thanks for the invite, Mrs Snark, definitely no dolphin/manatee action up here, lol chickadees and leaves falling, I really need to toughen up.

Zumba, I needed to get back to the routine today too, so easy to slide back to not so good habits...will be thinking of you and your challenging week ahead.

Carma, I hear you on the Halloween candy, a Reese's cup tastes amazing when you haven't had one in a long time and really makes you want more, more, we've been juicing/veggie-ing on Sundays to get back on program after the weekend, it's been helping since I'm off on Fridays the weekends could become dangerously long...

Sum-congrats on your progress, you're like the little engine that could, keep trying, keep trying :)

Penguin, hope your knee's feeling better, hope your hubby brings some warm weather with him...loll

newleaf123
10-29-2013, 08:19 AM
MrsSnark I <3 manatees! They swim around in the bayou behind my parents' house, and one time they surfaced and went by me in very close range when I was in the kayak. Absolutely a magical moment.

Kelijpa You are doing so well with the C25K; I'm really happy for you!! (and impressed!)

Sum You are just cranking right now! This American Life is a great radio program; I bet you'll like it.

HealthToBe Welcome!

PatchworkPenguin I hope your knee is feeling better!

Zumba so many "grown-up" things seem to hit us in our 40s and you seem to be experiencing them all :hug:

Here, not happy with my weight / pants fitting AT ALL. So, back to what I know... I wish maintenance was simple... but it's not.

soon2beskinnyCarma
10-29-2013, 08:52 AM
Ugh so went up on the scale after the Halloween candy and wine and cheese party. Back down today though. Hoping to get under 200 again by the end of the week. Going to pack two 24 oz. water bottles with me. Luna bar for lunch with veggies. My day off today but I get to drive my father in law in for 1.25hr drive into Hartford to see my Mother in law. Need to leave by noon so I can drive home to get the kids from school. hoping to make it to Whole Paycheck for my grocery shopping as it is on my way home. Need to go to stop and shop too. Must not get distracted by shiny pretty things in whole foods. Piloxing class tonight and hair cut for me this morning. All in all not a bad day off. Will be glad when the MIL is out of Hartford Hospital. It is a giant pain in the tush.

Zumba: Hang in there sounds like you have a rough week.

Penguin: Hope the knee is better soon.

Kellipa: I need to start exploring the world of juicing. Maybe I will pick one up for myself.

Mrs. Snark: Florida sounds awesome right now. It was 28 degrees the other morning here. Not inspiring for my workout.

Heidi: Hang in there, you got down to maintenance you can do this. Just think of 2fatcats for inspiration.

Sum::wave: and what is going on with Echo school?

love2b150
10-29-2013, 10:20 AM
Wow I haven't posted since 10/18 ...

I haven't had time to catch up but wanted to check in. I'm doing ok. My weight seems to be going up and down with the same numbers. I'm back to 185.2 today but my low for the month is 184 point something. I was hoping to get down to the low 180's by the end of the month but that isn't going to happen. I was faithful at low carbing and doing pretty well. Then I started snacking. It wasn't a lot but still it wasn't the days that I considered no bread/starch so I am not giving myself credit for those days. We have started going to the gym. I only walk on the treadmill. I find that I do better and feel better the days that I go but we don't always get to go.

I hope to read you all are doing well. Take care :hug:

newleaf123
10-29-2013, 11:11 AM
Soon2bSkinny, ah....... Stop & Shop. Words from my past! I grew up in Massachusetts, and as more years go by (it's been 8) I have fewer and fewer reminders... Sounds like a busy day off! But at least busy keeps food at bay...

love2b150, nice to see you. I agree; I definitely feel better after working out. Glad to hear you are going to the gym...

Mrs Snark
10-29-2013, 11:40 AM
Newleaf -- we bought this house on the water 2 years ago, and one of my favorite things about it is the manatee action. When I sit on my dock and dangle my feet in the water they sometimes come and rub under my feet like a cat!!! (!!!!!!!) It never gets old. Neither do the dolphins. I simply love the wildlife!

Carma -- I laughed at "Whole Paycheck" reference. We don't have one in my area, so of course I desire one greatly, but then I hear about the prices and know how much trouble I'd get into there -- so maybe it is a good thing we don't!

Love2be -- Good job on joining the gym, I love my treadmill time and it is highly motivating to stay on track on days I'm on it!

Penguin -- I hope the knee has healed enough for some work outs -- but be gentle with yourself!

kelijpa
10-30-2013, 09:15 PM
Hello all, having a pretty good week, the myfitnesspal has really helped me pay attention to what I'm eating (and drinking :D) didn't realize how many calories in Irish cream, should have, but never really tried to figure it out.

Hope everyone's doing well, challenging season coming up, I hope they do something at work like they did last year, it was called "freeze the gain" and had you try not to gain from thanksgiving through New Years. I remember many a year, the eating season would start with Halloween, my birthday, thanksgiving, Xmas, until it was time to make that New Years resolution.

Not doing it that way this year, I know there's going to be bad eating days, but not months like in the past...sorry for the ramble...

love2b150
10-30-2013, 10:47 PM
Thanks Heidi :)

Thanks Mrs Snark :) I love my treadmill time also but I know I will soon have to do something else in order to get this body in shape ;)

LOL keli, MFP makes you adjust where you need to for sure :). I didn't get a chance to add everything yesterday so I added it all on today and surprisingly I didn't do bad :)

I have decided I want to be in the 170's by Thanksgiving. I think that will give me the will that I need not to over eat like I always do. The kids had their Harvest Fest this evening at church and they did like they normally do and sort their candy. They made a pile for me of what I like and my husband said, nope Mommy can't eat that, it's not on her plan. So they gave it to him. I didn't get upset, I just smiled but boy did I want some of that chocolate (ok all of that chocolate :D)

I'm trying to learn to run if that makes sense. I told my son that I can run about 30 seconds before I have to slow the treadmill down. He said that was nothing which was a little upsetting since I thought I was doing a little bit, but I've just got to keep at it. Then maybe I can actually do C25K and succeed :)

Well have a great night everyone :hug:

Bindii
10-31-2013, 04:48 AM
I'm trying to learn to run if that makes sense. I told my son that I can run about 30 seconds before I have to slow the treadmill down. He said that was nothing which was a little upsetting since I thought I was doing a little bit, but I've just got to keep at it. Then maybe I can actually do C25K and succeed :)

Well have a great night everyone :hug:

It makes perfect sense to me.. I 'tried' running on my treadmill yesterday and managed a whole minute before I was madly pushing buttons to slow it down and I was pretty pleased with myself for doing that as my thinking is the same as yours that's it's better than nothing and it's a start! Don't let your son get you down and you just stick to doing what you can and I bet that before you know it you'll be running for a lot longer than 30 seconds. :carrot:

kelijpa
10-31-2013, 05:32 AM
Love and Bindi, you have the right idea, you have to start somewhere.

I'm just about finished with the c25k 8 weeks, it starts out just like that and works you up to being able to run for some distance. I read a lot of posts where people spoke highly of the program. Best thing I've done for myself lately. Eating more veggies and fruit is a close second...lol

Can't believe Oct is coming to a close, lost 2.2 for the month, plugging away.

Bindii
10-31-2013, 08:41 AM
One day I think I may look at the c25k program although I'm just not really built for jogging (read I'm pretty sure there isn't a bra alive that can hold these puppies in *sigh*).. I must admit though that I sometimes walk around a local lake and I have thought many times that it would be nice to be able to jog around it (around 4.5kms -2.7 miles) instead of walking. For now though I am trying to be content with the fact that I can walk around it and that every time I do it I am a little faster than the time before.

I was casually chatting to a work mate today who mentioned that she is planning on doing the 'running segment' in a triathlon early next year - the running part is 10kms (6.2 miles) and I asked her if she could run that far and she said 'Oh yes that's no problems I often run that far after work'. She is in her early forties, and had never jogged or done much exercise at all until about 8 months ago and already she is jogging that far without any problems. I think she may be a little ahead of the pack but right now she is also my newest hero lol

newleaf123
10-31-2013, 10:06 AM
Mrs. Snark that is amazing re: the manatees! I was close enough that I was worried they would bump my kayak (there was no place for me to go; it was a very narrow channel) and it was just incredible.

Kelijpa I love the idea of freezing the gain!

Bindii my body just isn't cut out for running, either. I used to run in HS and college, but as an adult? No. And especially after birthing 2 babies, my body just doesn't seem to like it. It's okay. I can walk really fast and really far LOL

So we went for a hike with my MIL the other day; she is at a healthy weight and 72 years old, and walks a few times a week. DH and I were really surprised by how winded she got and how frequently we had to stop and rest, when we were going at such a slow pace to begin with -- it was a really good reminder to keep up with the exercise. My MIL has always seemed fit, but we see that we don't want that level of fitness when we are her age.

We are going away for a few days in a bit, so I had to try on my summer clothes. Everything fits, but is definitely more snug. Ugh...

newleaf123
10-31-2013, 10:09 AM
Sum - I hope you see this. I want to thank you for planting the idea, way back in January, for coming up with an exercise goal for the year. I am closing in on mine, and it has been very rewarding having such a long-term goal, and to know that I continue to chip away at it even when my dietary and weight goals haven't been in the front of mind.

:carrot:

Mrs Snark
10-31-2013, 11:26 AM
Heidi -- When I was in Maine recently, we walked every morning with my father-in-law, about 4 miles up and down hills and over the rocky shoreline and sometimes on trails in the woods behind his house. He gets up every day and walks early in the morning, and has done that for years. He's 75 and had a knee replacement last year and walks with a hitch in his step, but man, he just keeps going. Never saw him out of breath or appear uncomfortable. I was so impressed and am determined that will be me in my 70s and beyond (I hope)!

And then there is my dad, who is 69 and wins his age group at the local 5ks (and runs marathons and ultras and other ridiculous stuff). I will not actually be HIM in my 70s because I'm never going to be that fast, ever. But I'm going to at least be trying!

love2b150
10-31-2013, 12:17 PM
Thanks Bindii, I hoping to get to a minute soon. I will be so proud of myself. My son said that I'd probably do better if I were outside some where. I just don't have the desire to be outside running/walking. There are far too many loose/stray dogs where I live now. But you've made me smile Bindii thanks, I hope to keep this up. :) Hooray for Heroes ...

Heidi it's good that your MIL still gets out there. There are a lot of us half her age that won't even attempt to walk any where. :) We'll jump in a car to go across the road to a store (that use to be me). I will walk now and in the last 3 years as long as I feel safe :)

Mrs. Snark that's great to hear re: your FIL and your Dad. :)

Well I got back on the OP wagon and ended October with a 4.2lb loss. I want to see the 170's so bad but I know that it will take hard work and dedication. I have to not allow my mouth to rule. My mind must get stronger so that I can do what I need to do to keep this going.

Happy moment for me -- I said to my husband last night (before for service started), "I'm gonna show you how loose these jeans are when we get home." He replied, "I noticed already." I probably looked like a Cheshirecat grinning from ear to ear. :D

newleaf123
10-31-2013, 12:51 PM
Love2B that is awesome about the jeans, your DH noticing, and also that you get out there walking now!

Mrs. Snark, my father is an inspiration, too. Until he was 73, he was doing 300-mile bike races. He only stop because he had a terrible biking accident where he fractured 4 vertebrae in his neck (think Christopher Reeves) and somehow managed to not only survive, but escape being paralyzed. Totally amazing story. At age 75, he's back on his bike again but disappointed that he can only go 50 miles a few times a week.

love2b150
10-31-2013, 12:55 PM
Thanks Heidi :) Your Dad is an inspiration :)

You all's parents show us what we can do if we just put our minds to it :)

Sum38
10-31-2013, 02:43 PM
Heidi You should check this thread out http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chicks-up-challenge/289248-november-exercise-challenge.html

love2b150
10-31-2013, 08:50 PM
Wow Sum now I'm gonna go back and add up the number of miles I've walked. Congrats on the 100 miles :carrot: and every other goal you've accomplished :high:

ETA: I have walked 32.65 miles since October 14th. I didn't walk from 10/22-10/26 and no Wednesday's so that's pretty good right?