Exercise! - Outstanding October Running!

View Full Version : Outstanding October Running!

lm3898
10-01-2013, 08:05 AM
Hello all!!!

Welcome to the OCTOBER running thread!!

Let's start where last month left off:

Thank you Devadiva! I'm hoping it gets a little more enjoyable once my fitness level increases a bit. You are a great inspiration! :)

lm3898....add you to my list of inspirational ladies as well! Sounds like a glorious, if not intense, hike you had this last weekend!

Thank you Kona - it was a really great hike! I agree with what you said to deva, the more you do it, the easier & more fun it becomes!

Tabbycat
10-05-2013, 07:01 AM
Tabbycat here.

I'm signed up for three 5K fun runs in October. The first one is today and the Texas coast is still hot and steamy (90 degrees and humid). I don't expect to do well in such weather, but I plan to jog the whole way. I'm happy if I finish in the top half of my age group (50-59).

We expect a cool front tonight, so maybe in two weeks when the second fun run takes place, the weather will be more comfortable.

monmis12
10-05-2013, 07:05 AM
Hey, I thought I'd pop in. I just started running in June after a two year haitus due to knee problems. My knee pain was most likely due to too much running and no cross training. Last January, I began losing the regain and got in shape doing Zumba, Kickboxing, Spin, and strength training. I had no thoughts of running because I thought I wouldn't ever be able to. In June, after having lost most of my regain, I cautiously started walk/running using the C25k program. August 10th, I ran my first 5k! Since then, I've been known to run more than 1 a weekend:) I love it. I almost signed up for a 1/2 marathon but the training interfered with my 5ks so I decided to put that on hold. My running this week:
Oct 1st-Kettlebell class
Oct 2nd-6.3 mile training run
Oct 3rd-5 mile training run
Oct 4th-Strength Training class
Oct 5th-Rest

Today, I'm running a 5k. Hope to get my PR or come close to it!

monmis12
10-05-2013, 07:10 AM
Tabbycat here.

I'm signed up for three 5K fun runs in October. The first one is today and the Texas coast is still hot and steamy (90 degrees and humid). I don't expect to do well in such weather, but I plan to jog the whole way. I'm happy if I finish in the top half of my age group (50-59).

We expect a cool front tonight, so maybe in two weeks when the second fun run takes place, the weather will be more comfortable.

Good luck today and most importantly, Have Fun!

Lizzyg
10-05-2013, 07:35 AM
I had a really great September with my running. I broke past my mental block of doing long runs again - I don't know what my issue was but I could not push myself to go further than 3 miles for the longest time. So I pushed through that and one weekend did a 5 mile run and a 6 mile run. I also did a 7.25 mile run that was great too. It was like once I pushed past 3 miles my body started to feel good again and it felt automatic! I really enjoyed running last month.

In the past anything over 5 miles, I just automatically did a run/walk. I didn't think I could run without walking over 5 miles. But I did it with my 6 mile run and with the 7.25 mile run. It felt great!! I had 44 miles running and 16 miles walking last month.

My goal this month is to get to 50 miles running! I've had a slow start but have 9 miles in so far.

Tabbycat
10-05-2013, 12:54 PM
Tabbycat here.

Good news and bad news...

Bad news: my 5K time was 38:15. That's the second slowest I've even been. Coincidentally, my slowest time ever was on this same course last year (this event is not chipped or certified). I even had to walk a bit in the final half mile. It was right beside the lake and sunny and steamy without a breath of a breeze. My car thermometer said it was 90 degrees on the way home.

Good news: I was second in my age group (55-59). The lady who beat me was a marathon runner. Even her time was 36 something.

I'm looking forward to the 5K in two weeks. Surely it will be cooler. :)

monmis12
10-05-2013, 02:46 PM
Way to go Tabbycat!

I ran my 5k in 28 min 40 seconds. Not my fastest but within a minute of my fastest. It was humid and a flat boring out and back course:) It was for a great cause though! They raised over 10,000 for St Jude Children's Hospital.

Now for the funny story. They posted the results before the award ceremony. According to those, I placed 4th in my age group having been passed in the last 50 ft by another woman in my age group. I was hoping she was younger than me. Anyways, my husband didn't want to stick around as he knew I was dissapointed being so close to getting an award. I stayed as at one 5k I did, they gave out a top 3 overall for male and female which actually allowed me to place. Well, That didn't happen here... What happened is the woman listed as first in my age group was actually in her 20's and they corrected that before they announced the awards. So, I got 3rd:)

Tabbycat
10-05-2013, 04:07 PM
Wow, monmis! I am so impressed! I dream of one day maybe finishing in 35 minutes, and you are well under 30 minutes! That's great!

Your story reminded me of a moment during the last mile. I was trotting next to another woman who looked like she might be in my age group. I panted, "Please tell me you're in your forties." (I thought the age groups were 10 year increments.) She said, "No, I'm in my sixties." I guess I made her feel good! :)

monmis12
10-05-2013, 06:35 PM
TabbyCat,
Your doing great! I bet you made that 60 year old's day!

Yes, its funny. I wonder what age group the women are who are running before or after me. The one who passed me right as I was nearing the finish line was in a full out sprint! I definitely didn't have a sprint in me. When my husband comes, he counts the women who come in before me and tries to guess their age. A week ago, I did a super small 5k and got my PR. However, I didn't medal! I came in 4th. Those in the age group before and after me, medaled with times 4 minutes slower than me. You just never know, do you?

[]9op0-

monmis12
10-07-2013, 07:51 AM
Where is everyone?
I ran another 5k yesterday. It raised money for a children's grief camp and we ran in a cemetery. It was a race in "remembrance of someone" so it was extra special especially since my mother in law is buried there. They had a ceremony beforehand where they released white doves. I ran it in 28 min and 30 seconds which was 10 seconds faster than the one I ran the day before. It was a pretty big 5k so I was proud of finishing 5th in my age group. The 4th place woman missed a medal by 8 seconds but I was a minute slower than her so not that close. I actually left right after the race as you could print out your results and not wait around for the award ceremony. Being a Sunday afternoon race, I was ready to get home(it was about 45 minute drive from where I live). Just like last weekend when I ran two 5ks, I felt like I had been run over by a truck around 5pm.

Today=No running! I do a kettleworks class.

Mrs Snark
10-07-2013, 02:28 PM
I'd like to join here -- I never get tired of talking about how awesome running is (though people in my family certainly get tired of hearing me talking about it, lol.)

September was great for me, I expect October to be fantastic as well. I currently run mostly on a treadmill, but I'll be in Maine for a week of vacation later this week and I'm looking forward to cool, outdoor weather running!

:)

devadiva
10-07-2013, 02:37 PM
I have run Wed Fri and today between 3.2 and 4 miles running with pup so tiny bit slower than normal to do corrections ect...it is different running with a leash in your hand and being extra careful. I have been doing my up hill routes to make it a little tougher.
For any of you that know I have been having foot issues...they are talking back surgry

monmis12
10-08-2013, 07:30 AM
Mrs. Snark,
I'm with you. I never tire of talking about running but my family have had about enough:)

This morning I did a very early 5 miles. I plan on trying a new interval frenzy class at my gym tonight. Hope I have enough energy for it:) I also want to add a day of tempo/interval running this week. I'm trying to improve my 5k speed. I went from 32:08 to 28:30 in about two months. Hopefully I can do better. My PR is 27:30 but right now I'm consistently running 28:30.

Mrs Snark
10-08-2013, 01:02 PM
I've been doing all my running on a treadmill (health and heat issue) but I leave for Maine this week and am looking forward to some truly spectacular cool-weather outdoor runs (watch out moosies here I come!).

Monmis -- so speedy! I'm sure you will get back to your previous PR in no time!

lm3898
10-08-2013, 03:22 PM
Way to go ladies!!!! Glad everyone is enjoying their Fall runs...I've been a little crazy traveling almost every weekend...I do have a GRIPE though to share about my race last Saturday...

There was a 4+ mile obstacle race scheduled last Sat in my town - it said 4+ miles, 15+ obstacles including hills [around the college here]. They even sent out the course map. Hubby & I had to catch a flight so we were in the 1st group to go - ok, first off it started 20 min late - ANNOYING but whatever...

Here's the ridiculous part. They cut out HALF the course!! Apparently the story is that the college backed out at the last minute or something so instead of that, we got like 2 miles, no hills and half the obstacles...ok now things happen, I understand BTU they didn't tell us!! So here I am running a pace for a 4-5 mile hilly course wondering when we're about to turn toward the school and they point us to the finish line instead! If I had known it was a quick sprint race, I WOULD HAVE SPRINTED!! I can't believe they didn't bother to mention the whole race was changed. Just bummed about it - PLUS it was EXPENSIVE - all that for 2 lousy miles :(

Anyway, sorry for complaining, I just had to get that out! I found out about a running group in my town & I'm going to join them tonight so I'm excited about that!

Tabbycat
10-08-2013, 08:20 PM
Tabbycat here.

I did 3.1 miles this evening without stopping, just to see if I could. (I had to walk a bit in last Saturday's 5K when the steamy temperature was over 90 without a hint of breeze). I guess I'm just not a good morning runner, because it was easy tonight. (Of course, we had a cool front on Sunday and the temperature was a pleasant 70-something without the humidity of Saturday, so that could have been part of it.)

Two more 5K's this month... :)

Kscott
10-09-2013, 12:58 AM
Just some new news on running. My husband who is an ultra marathoner--was told by his doctor to stop running longer distances. His doctor found a left branch block in his heart--(not serious for him anyway)--which is exercise induced. He noticed his heart skipping a beat here and there after a half marathon and decided he had better check it out. He went through all kinds of tests, etc.

Anyway the doctor--(who is a runner himself) told him to keep running to stay in shape but no more distances over 5 miles. Apparently they're starting to find out--that the benefit of running longer distances hits a plateau eventually, and those that are running shorter distances actually catch up to the longer distance runners--at the fitness and health ratio. IOW--for the longer distance runner--it becomes no longer beneficial for them to keep running long distances.

Now he's in his 60's so I don't want younger people to get intimidated by running longer distances.

Here is an article regarding the endurance athlete's heart--that they've been studying for decades.

http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/123/23/2723.full

Lizzyg
10-09-2013, 12:33 PM
Kscott - glad your husband had everything checked out. How scary! I've read here and there on this topic recently. Thanks for posting the link to the study!

I woke up yesterday morning at 4:50 am and went for a slow 3 mile run. I hate getting up early but it's always nice once I get going. I always see the same people at the park at that time :)

14 miles in so far this month and I'm about to leave for a 5 mile run. It's so warm and sunny and I have the day off. I HAVE to run! :)

Great run, Tabbycat! I seem to be slower in the AM too. I like on my days off that I can go mid afternoon as that seems to be my best time to go. I am usually tired after work but mornings are the worst!

Kscott
10-09-2013, 05:03 PM
Kscott - glad your husband had everything checked out. How scary! I've read here and there on this topic recently. Thanks for posting the link to the study!

I woke up yesterday morning at 4:50 am and went for a slow 3 mile run. I hate getting up early but it's always nice once I get going. I always see the same people at the park at that time :)

14 miles in so far this month and I'm about to leave for a 5 mile run. It's so warm and sunny and I have the day off. I HAVE to run! :)

Great run, Tabbycat! I seem to be slower in the AM too. I like on my days off that I can go mid afternoon as that seems to be my best time to go. I am usually tired after work but mornings are the worst!

Thanks Lizzi--I found the issue and article to be real interesting too.

devadiva
10-10-2013, 08:33 AM
Got 4 miles in with puppy on Wed. {good thing it was early it PORED RAIn all the rest of the day} We sure need it got 1 hr of weights,today is a work day and usually have my pain issues after a work day...MAYBE not today ;)

lm3898
10-10-2013, 09:22 AM
Joined a local running club - all girls which I really enjoyed!

3.2 miles on Tuesday night.

monmis12
10-12-2013, 07:51 AM
Joined a local running club - all girls which I really enjoyed!

3.2 miles on Tuesday night.

Lucky! I wish I could join one. They are all about 30-45 minutes in traffic from where I live and after work I just can't make myself drive out there. Thursday and Friday's are my rest days from running but I did do a strength training class on Thursday night. Today, I run a 5k. It has a late(r) start for a Saturday am run. It starts at 10 am. At least the weather is great and I don't have to worry about heat.

Tabbycat
10-12-2013, 02:57 PM
Tabbycat here.
Another sultry day on the Texas coast. I started a run about noon and the heat and humidity were so wicked I started to feel bad. (I'm not 55 any more!) The sun was blazing too. So I only went about a mile and a half, then cooled off in the swimming pool.
I'll try again on Monday evening... tomorrow is a full day with orchestra. Or maybe I can try tomorrow in the early morning. The next 5K is a week from today, and if the weather report is correct we should have a cool front by then.

monmis12
10-12-2013, 08:10 PM
Tabbycat,
That heat sounds brutal. I hope it cools off by your 5k.

I ran my 5k this morning. I was so nervous I didn't even post about this: I stepped off the pavement while running on Tuesday and thought I didn't injure myself and couldn't believe it as I could have broke my ankle. What I did was stretch the tendon in the bottom of my foot(plantar fasciitis). I didn't really realize it/admit it till Wednesday after I ran. It did bother me pretty bad then and I started icing it, wearing sneakers all day, and taking Aleve. By Friday, it was 90% better. This morning it felt good enough to run on and I experienced no pain! And now I feel it just enough to know its there but not bad at all. I ended up getting 2nd in my age group even though I was a minute slower than last week and I walked SEVERAL times. I think I paced myself too fast to be able to walk so much and finish only a minute later. I am feeling a little burnt out. Two 5ks a weekend has become too much and have left me feeling run down. I know I could run that distance as a training run but as a second race, its too much... Lesson learned. Thankfully I only signed up for today's this weekend.

Lizzyg
10-12-2013, 11:30 PM
Did 10.06 today! :carrot: And it totally sucked! :) It was so warm - about 75 and the sun was out. It was nice but I should have started much earlier. I ran the first 7.5 miles but had to run/walk the rest home. My stomach was sooo unhappy. And I ran out of water/gatorade. I was so thankful for the police officer who was patroling the path - he gave me a bottle of water :)

But its been too long since I've had a double digit run - way back in April and that was a race!

I'm pretty sure I'm going to be doing a marathon next year - so I need to build my miles back up. But I was so not ready for 10 today!

lm3898
10-14-2013, 10:43 AM
Ran a nice, easy 3.5 miles on Saturday - beautiful weather.

Monmis - I am lucky! I only wish I had taken advantage sooner! While I do enjoy solo running, it's nice to have the option to join a group sometimes. I'm going to try to do it every Tues.

Lizzy - that's such a nice police officer!

Nice work everyone!

monmis12
10-14-2013, 03:00 PM
lm389: Glad you had a good run Saturday. The weather for my 5k Saturday was great and the skies opened up and it started storming as soon as they gave out the medals. In fact, I barely made it to the car before it started and I'm guessing the sound system was taken down and put away in a hurry.

I ran a little under 5 miles this am. Then, since I'm off work this week, I went to one of my favorite morning classes at my gym. Its called KettleFusion and is a combo of kettlebells and cardio. I did a fast mile on the treadmill a little faster than my race pace. From what I read, increasing mileage will help me decrease my 5k time and some speed work as well. I am adding an additional day of running to my schedule and am going to do some speedwork.

diamondgeog
10-14-2013, 03:48 PM
Did first day of my week 5 of a C25K program. I am using ease into 5K.

Well the neat thing was up till now I could feel my lungs and circulation getting better but my legs it was still hard to the running. My legs felt noticably stronger though running yesterday.

Perhaps my legs are catching up now. That would be nice.

Tabbycat
10-14-2013, 09:54 PM
Tabbycat here.
I did a 3 mile run this evening. It's still warm and muggy but not as bad as Saturday was. I sure am ready for cooler weather! :)

monmis12
10-15-2013, 07:04 AM
diamondgeog-Glad to hear C25k is going well for you. I loosely followed it in July when I started running.

Tabbycat-Sounds like a good run!

Its nice and cool here lately. I love Fall! Today, since I'm off, I'm doing my training run on a relatively new bypass built in town. It is 2.75 miles(5.5 miles out n back) and has a wide sidewalk with very few intersecting roads. I have seen a lot of people run on it at any given time of the day. It will be a nice change from running 1 mile laps in the dark at home. Afterwards, I'm headed to the gym for a strength training class.

monmis12
10-16-2013, 07:53 AM
Ran the bypass yesterday and did 5.5 easy miles. I really enjoyed the change of scenery and the overpass did add some elevation. My plan was to do this again this morning and extend it but it is raining. Now, I do run in the rain, snow, and sleet when I run before work. However, since I don't have work, my plan is to get some house hold chores out of the way and run mid afternoon when the front should be out of my area.

I saw a new bird on my run yesterday. Unfortunately, it was dead:( I mentioned it to my husband and he said it was a Meadowlark. I googled it and confirmed that.

I'll update after my run!

Lizzyg
10-16-2013, 06:37 PM
I did 3 this morning. I so hate getting up early but I did it and had a decent run. Typically my early morning runs are really slow but I pushed myself and each mile was faster than the previous. And my final mile was a minute and half faster than my first! It was nice.

I might convince myself to go tomorrow morning too. I'm super tired so I should sleep well which will help me get up early.

Lizzyg
10-16-2013, 06:37 PM
I hope that you were able to get your run in this afternoon, monmis.

monmis12
10-17-2013, 07:09 AM
Great run lizzyg.

I did run 5.5 miles yesterday. I did housework literally all day, took a short power nap, and then went for my run. Really love the route. I'm thinking of running it after work on Tuesdays and Thursdays. After my run, I went to a kettleworks class. No run today as I have my 5k race tomorrow night. I will do a muscleworks class today though.

devadiva
10-17-2013, 08:37 AM
Ran 4 miles with puppy,went to 1st accupunture apt for my feet {ie my back] trying some alternatives REALLY do not want the surgrey!!!! Still trying to get an apt with top neuosurgen in Vegas.{hes been out of the office}

lm3898
10-18-2013, 08:16 AM
Everyone is doing so well with runs!!! Hoping to get a quick 3 miles in tonight & I have a 5k trail run Sunday I'm looking forward to. Enjoy the Fall weather everyone!

monmis12
10-18-2013, 08:34 AM
Well, today is race day. I have a 5k tonight. At last Saturday's 5k, I was really psyched out with my foot as to whether I could run on it or should run on it. Turns out, my foot was fine but I mentally, I wasn't really "in the zone" and got one of my slower times and walked some. I still got a 2nd place medal so maybe it was meant to be(my walking I mean). I truly believe I walked because I let myself walk:)

Tonight, my goal is to hopefully get close to my PR and not walk of course. I'll post tonight or tomorrow about the results.

I'm thinking of going to my gym today for a aerobic/kettlebell class. If I go, I will be doing the low impact version... Of course, the only reason I would go is because this is my last day of vacation and I'm bored:) I've had the week off and the house is clean and I've watched one too many episodes of Law and Order:)

lm3898, I envy you on the trail run. I'm hesitant to do one as I'm worried about stepping wrong and twisting my ankle or tripping. I know I would obviously be running slower, but still! Have you done a lot of trail running?

Rhiko
10-18-2013, 09:52 AM
Awesome, a running thread! :D

Hi everyone :)

I overcame a distance barrier of mine today. I usually can't seem to get passed 6kms and the non-stop wind NZ has been experiencing the past week or two hasn't been helping. However, after seeking advice from a friend who suggested I slow down and taking my own advice to push past my mental barriers, I finally did more than 6kms (3.72 miles). In fact, I did 10 (6.2 miles)! :fr: :running: My feet were nearly dragging by the time I finished, but I'm so glad I finally achieved my 8km (4.97 miles) goal.

Now to do it again! Hah!

P.S. Is anyone using Runkeeper?

JennyJumpUp
10-18-2013, 12:24 PM
Hey all! Glad to find this thread and am hoping some of you more experienced runners will have some advice for me...

I'm bumping up against a mental barrier around distance as I'm preparing for my first 10K race in a few weeks. I've been running for about a 6 months, and worked my way up to about 4 3m runs per week. That distance is super comfortable for me, and I've inched up to 4m runs pretty comfortably.

But I'm facing my first 5m "long run" this weekend, and I'm pretty nervous. My lungs/legs are fine at 4m, but I seem to get discouraged (even bored?) about 2/3 of the way through my runs even if I finish fine. So the added distance is intimidating!

How do you guys prepare mentally to increase your distance?

amt6
10-18-2013, 12:29 PM
Reading about all of your runs is totally inspiring! I just finished week 2 of Couch to 5k and am nowhere near your 3/5/10 mile accomplishments. I did 2.27 miles yesterday in 30 minutes and I was thrilled. Makes me sound silly compared to all of you! Hoping to get better/stronger/faster in the weeks to come on the program.

Mrs Snark
10-18-2013, 03:22 PM
Back from Maine, and the running (and hiking!) there was spectacular, really enjoyed it!

Now that I'm back home in Florida I'm back on my treadmill -- did a nice 4 miler this morning while watching Breaking Bad on Netflix. I may have to increase my distance a bit to run the whole time the show is on, because I'm enjoying it so much!

monmis12
10-18-2013, 04:16 PM
Rhiko Great job on getting past your mental barrier. I have a favorite bootcamp instructor who likes to say "its all between the ears." I feel that way a lot when I run. My mind says, slow down, walk, or its too hard but if I don't listen, I can get past the feeling. I think a lot of it is confidence.

JennyJumpUp You can do it! I feel that way too when I run a longer distance than I ever have. You can do that extra mile. I know when I run, I sometimes feel like "is this really fun" but that moment passes eventually and once i finish, I'm so proud of myself! Good Luck!

Amt6 Everyone starts somewhere, believe me! Your doing great. Keep going and you'll be surprised how much easier it gets.

MrsSnark I'm jealous about your Maine trip including the hiking. I grew up in Northern Vermont... Of course, I was never really physically active in my younger years and went on some hikes but not near as many as I wish I did.

Rhiko
10-18-2013, 09:28 PM
monmis12 Agreed. :) Typically when I start feeling like I want to give up, I push myself to do another kilometre and 'see how I feel'. How did your 5k race go?

amt6: Your time and distance are fantastic! I did the same time and distance as you on my first go. Keep it up, you're doing an awesome job :woohoo:

monmis12
10-19-2013, 06:46 AM
Well it was a fun race. It supported the National Kidney Foundation. I ended up placing fourth in my age group of about 20 other women. Go Figure! The age group below and above me was not as competitive. I did run the whole thing but didn't get close to my PR. I seem to be getting slower:( Not sure why. I'm going to try and add a longer run in into my training. It was fun though. Got my first long sleeve technical shirt... They had pizza, cookies, and Krispy Kreme and my husband ate his share and mine. I'm never hungry right after a race. It takes a good hour and a half for me to even feel hungry. I bypassed that food and went home and made some cheesy grits(Hey I do live in the South)!

devadiva
10-19-2013, 08:58 AM
Headed out for a Breast Cancer run today,will do 10k if goes as planned. i have been running shorter and slower since I have been running with my Aussie pup.
She's faster but have to go slower for safety.I run on a lot of old dirt roads that are no longer used much the same as trail running only a bit wider.
SO today I will run alone ( or should I say without her) race gets a good turn out my third for this one.

Rhiko
10-19-2013, 10:04 AM
monmis12 4th out of 20 is still really good. :) Perhaps you need to concentrate on increasing your speed before a competition rather than focusing on distance? I'm about to have my first race (that I know I won't be in the top 20 for) and a good friend of mine suggested that I do speed training since I have the distance.
I crave sugar when I come back from my runs and a mouthful of fizzy (soda) or a chocolate milkshake does the trick (sugar free, of course)! I feel so much better after I do lol

Tabbycat
10-19-2013, 11:34 AM
Monmis, 4th out of 20 is enviable. My goal is to be in the top HALF of my age group and you are in the top 20 percent!

I had my second 5K fun run of the month this morning. A delightful cool front blew through just before the start. It was in the mid-60's and cloudy and breezy. Perfect running weather! Our chips were on the back of our bibs. I've never seen it that way before. I know the official timing was wrong because the results sheet said I finished in 32:30 with a 10:29 pace. I had my stopwatch on and at mile 1 my time (by the stopwatch) was 11:10, and at mile 2 I was at 22:40, and at the end my stopwatch time was about 35:25. Not even close to 32:30. The results sheet had me in last place for my age group (50-59, and there were only five names) but I'm very pleased with my "real stopwatch time" of 35:25, since my best previous time was 36:25.

My next fun run is a week from today. When I run 3 miles on the street my legs really hurt at night. But if I only run 2 miles for practice, I don't think I'll have the stamina to run a whole 5K.

devadiva
10-19-2013, 03:17 PM
Just back from the 10k,beautiful day for it! Finished in 1:02:20 was fun not having to concentrate on the puppy and not falling. As for where I placed ? not first and not last,and as for my place in age group....I am 61 the lady in front of me by a minute was 70! She is a marathon runner,but I would say I did great for me not a PR but close!
Everyone is doing great on their runs

monmis12
10-19-2013, 05:14 PM
After running a 5k last night, call me crazy but I got up this morning early as my husband had to go out of town and I decided to do a 5k:) It was a memorial 5k for a local teacher who was beaten to death by her husband. So, it was for a good cause as profits went towards domestic violence prevention/aid.

It was cold and rainy before and after the race but not too bad during. I wore running tights(capri length) and a long sleeve shirt. Would have liked a jacket that I could peel off before the start but didn't have anyone to leave it with. I should have gone to my car post race and before the awards ceremony for my sweatshirt but didn't. Was a great run. I ran it 10 seconds faster than last night and got 3rd place medal in my age group . Also made a friend who might be a potential training partner.

monmis12
10-19-2013, 05:17 PM
Headed out for a Breast Cancer run today,will do 10k if goes as planned. i have been running shorter and slower since I have been running with my Aussie pup.
She's faster but have to go slower for safety.I run on a lot of old dirt roads that are no longer used much the same as trail running only a bit wider.
SO today I will run alone ( or should I say without her) race gets a good turn out my third for this one.

Congrats on your race! Sounds like it went well

monmis12
10-19-2013, 05:26 PM
Tabbycat Great run! That is wierd about the discrepancy in your time. I time myself on my watch too but sometimes I forget to stop it. About half of the 5ks I've done have had the chip on the bib. Those are usually the larger ones. The one I did this morning had a bib with no chip and they just had you take a card when you finished, fill it out, and they tabulated things that way. I'm glad the weather cooperated for you! The rain and cold weather added "ambiance" to my 5k today:)

I am happy with my progress but hey if I'm going to finish near the top, finishing just one place away from a medal is frustrating. On the other hand, somebody has to get fourth place, right? Obviously I enjoy running and the medals are just a bonus.

Really loving this thread! Everyone is doing great on their running.

monmis12
10-20-2013, 08:46 AM
Ok, now for the rest of the story:) I was originally signed up for a 5k on Friday night and a 5k on Saturday night. As I posted yesterday, I got up Saturday morning and decided to do a Saturday morning 5k. If I hadn't already paid for the 5k on Saturday night, I think I would have skipped it. But, you guessed it, I went:) It was a small, small, small, did I say small? 5k. In fact, so few people were registered online, I even emailed to ask the race director if it was still on. It was. It was called the "Witch Way 5k" and we ran through a park, down a gravel road/path(didn't know about this) and through a cemetery! It was poorly lit and not well marked. Being so small, I ran the cemetery by myself with a guy dressed up as Frankenstein in the distance:) The course really seemed short to me and others agreed. I was the 2nd female to finish and got first in my age group.

Today is a rest day for sure!

I'm attempting to rearrange my training schedule with running before work two days and after work two days. We'll see how it goes!

monmis12
10-21-2013, 07:25 AM
Hey, where'd everyone go?:)

I took a complete rest day on Sunday and was still exhausted and took a nap. Today I'm back to work... Which I enjoy but after having a week off and taking several daily naps, I wonder how awake I'll be? I did a 5.6 mile easy run this morning. Uneventful and I was super careful to stay on the road... It is pretty well lit and very few cars. I did see a skunk which caused me to alter my route a little.

After work, I have a kettleworks class... I usually have 25 minutes to kill between work and my class so I think I'll do some intervals on the treadmill.

After that, I'm assuming I'll be very tired. Hope everyone is doing well!

Rhiko
10-21-2013, 08:52 AM
I'm still here :)

I just haven't been out for a run in a while. I'm in the last week of uni for this year and my assignments and study are taking the priority at the moment. I should be able to go out tomorrow, though :) :crossed:

Tabbycat
10-21-2013, 07:46 PM
Tabbycat here.

2 mile jog after school this evening.

Next 5K is Saturday.

devadiva
10-21-2013, 08:52 PM
Ran 4 with the pup and 1 hr kickboxing.

gatorgirl6
10-21-2013, 10:13 PM
I have never considered myself to be a runner, yet the other day my dad said to me, that I am the runner of the family. I run for exercise, but in my head runners are long, lean, and can take on crazy distances.

A couple months ago my crazy brain told me to sign up for the Princess Half. A friend of mine then told me to sign up for a 10k with her to make sure my training would stay on track. This past Saturday I ran (well, my friend says I trotted) the 10k without walking a single step. 1h 22m. Not a great time, but a huge success. The thing is, i know i could have kept going. Maybe I didn't run as fast as I old have.

I still kinda feel like a 'trotter' and not a runner, but slowly I am starting to believe that I might just be a runner. 4 months until my half. I am trying to decide if I should work on speed for a little while, or if I just need to stick with increasing my distance.

Rhiko
10-22-2013, 02:14 AM
Only did 6kms today because I have an exam to study for. During my run I had an unexpected cheerleader: a random male driver that tooted and yelled 'wooooo yeeeeeah' out his window. I have a list of positives and negatives for his calling out to me, but I'm going with I'm flattered. :D

monmis12
10-22-2013, 07:25 AM
I'm doing a longer run today after work. I'm used to running before work so we will see how this goes.

devadiva
10-22-2013, 06:05 PM
I have never considered myself to be a runner, yet the other day my dad said to me, that I am the runner of the family. I run for exercise, but in my head runners are long, lean, and can take on crazy distances.

A couple months ago my crazy brain told me to sign up for the Princess Half. A friend of mine then told me to sign up for a 10k with her to make sure my training would stay on track. This past Saturday I ran (well, my friend says I trotted) the 10k without walking a single step. 1h 22m. Not a great time, but a huge success. The thing is, i know i could have kept going. Maybe I didn't run as fast as I old have.

I still kinda feel like a 'trotter' and not a runner, but slowly I am starting to believe that I might just be a runner. 4 months until my half. I am trying to decide if I should work on speed for a little while, or if I just need to stick with increasing my distance.

YOU are a runner and for me endurance and enjoyment is my key,I am not fast and I am not super slow. FOR me its just keep doing it. I seem to have kinda one speed but I can go forever my time is about 10 min or a bit more per miles. And people pass me early on in races but then I catch them after a few miles. My times when put against AGE GRADED CACULATERS I am pretty fast ,guess another great thing about getting older!

monmis12
10-23-2013, 07:28 AM
Wow, running after work is tough. I had to force myself to go home, change, and leave to run. I ran 5.4 miles in 52 minutes. The advantage to running after work is I don't have to take any bathroom breaks so its a sustained 5.4 miles. Also, its an out and back. So, once I run half of it, I have no choice but finish:)

This morning, I got up and ran another 5 or so miles before work. I almost talked myself out of the full 5 miles but didn't. Its cooler out now. It was about 45 degrees. So far, a long sleeve shirt and running capris seems to work fine.

Goddess Jessica
10-23-2013, 05:46 PM
After my last half marathon (in June!), I sat on my butt. So I've started running again. I've enrolled in a couch to 5K class to try to improve my time and increase my accountability.

Today was the first class. It was great and tiring.

Lizzyg
10-23-2013, 05:50 PM
Everyone is doing great! I need to do a race - it's been about 6 months since I've done one.

I was some how talked into doing a marathon next May. I attempted this same race 3 years ago and did not finish, so I'm going to start training and improving my time so I will finish next year.

I went running on Saturday in the rain with my Dad - it was a lot of fun! I like running with him (we're making it a family race again next year so he'll be doing the marathon too) but don't get to do it often.

I did 6 today! And my final mile was my fastest mile (11:40 and my slowest was 12:30). I'm amazed at how fast I've been getting. I'm excited about it!

Gatorgirl - you're a runner! Boo on your friend for calling you a trotter. If you run - you're a runner.

Monmis - I run after work often. I've found that if I take my running clothes with me to work and change there and head directly to where I run (a local park) I do better than going home, changing and then going. Great run, btw! I want to try to run 4 to 5 in the morning but have been stuck at doing 3.

lm3898
10-23-2013, 07:15 PM
Yay so glad everyone is truly enjoying their Fall running!!! Hubby ran his 2nd marathon 2 weekends ago - truly inspiring. I wanted to run NYC this year but alas a foot injury has kept me out of the game...keeping up with the short distances though which is good enough for now. Keep it up everyone!

amt6
10-23-2013, 08:23 PM
Just got back from an unplanned after work run. i had a very long day and needed to clear my head, and for the first time in FOREVER, running seemed like it would do the trick better then vegging on the couch. Who am I?!

I completed week 3 day 2 of couch to 5k which included my first run for 3 minutes straight without stopping. I did the same run on Saturday and could not complete it, so I am proud that I was able to finish without stopping today :) Slowly but surely seeing progress!

Rhiko
10-24-2013, 04:51 AM
Signed up for the round the bridges 6km run for Nov 17, so now my runs are to prepare me for this. Today I did 5km in 30 mins-my fastest time yet-while running up and down hills etc. I'm thinking of doing something different each time I run: a fast run day, a long-distance day and a whatever day.

amt6: Congrats :)

monmis12
10-24-2013, 07:24 AM
No running today for me. I do have a strength training class to go to at the gym. I just wish it wasn't so late in the evening...

I have a 5k on Saturday. The one I wanted to do(5 miles from my house) was cancelled so I signed up for another one. There is a Susan G. Komen Race for a Cure near me this week. I've heard over 10,000 people have signed up. Although that would be fun, I imagine parking will be a nightmare so I opted out of that.

Friday will be my complete rest day.

Lizzyg You are right about it being easier when your take your gear with you and leave from work. I would do that but I have a work computer and my purse and I don't feel right leaving it in my car. Wow, a marathon! I came close to signing for a 1/2 and decided not do right now.

rhiko Great job on your 30 min 5k. Your Round the Bridges run sounds fun.

devadiva
10-24-2013, 09:46 AM
Ran 4 miles yesterday with pup and did 1 hr of metabolic weight training...Today is a work day, but did 30 min exercise this am

monmis12
10-25-2013, 07:21 AM
Devadiva Great run! I've never ran with a dog. I have an overweight older Golden Retriever who could have ran in his early years. I also have a bichon/cavalier mix which is not really a "running" dog. Maybe my next dog?

No running today. Going to a 5k tomorrow. Not sure how big it will be as its one of the races where you can't see the number of participants online. There is also a Color run and a gigantic Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure 5k on the same day so maybe this one will be smaller? We'll see. Its supposed to be cold(for my area) at about 40 degrees F. at the start. I think I will still stick with a long sleeve shirt and running capris.

devadiva
10-25-2013, 09:04 AM
momis12 : Its work running with the puppy {Australian shepard} as she wants to jump run in front and herd..BUT someday my Hanaupah will be a great running partner.
Today no running did weights and will take my girl to be spayed today { I am nervous}. We lost our Great Prynees in April after a Knee replacement.Hanaupah was a fix for our broken hearts..and shes a SWEETIE we got her at the end of April. She is almost 8 months.

I love about 43 to 50 for running.My race last week was 32 when we got there but by the end of the run it was sweaty. I know hard to figure it out what will be comfy {and they have all that standing around time and no where to leave your stuff!}

monmis12
10-26-2013, 06:34 AM
Diva I love Australian Shepherds! My family had 5 over the years. Hope your dog went through the surgery ok.

Well, BRRRR! Its 35 degrees out. I guess I'll stick with my original plan for clothing. I don't want to wear full tights as 1: I've never worn them before and 2: I don't think my legs will be cold once I get running. Too bad I am going by myself because I would love to be able to wear a heavy jacket until the start:(

I'll post an update when I get back.

CherryPie99
10-26-2013, 09:11 AM
Hi guys! I have been MIA due to dealing with some emotional issues in my life, but I am hopeful of getting back on track.

I am still running and still battling the **** that is Achilles Tendonitis.

So far in October I have run 158 miles. No local races until Thanksgiving morning's 5K that I have found.

monmis12 - I bought from Kohl's these thin colored capri length fashion tights. They work great - add a little bit of warmth but aren't full heavy tights for this time of year.

Jen

Tabbycat
10-26-2013, 10:47 AM
Tabbycat here. I had my third 5K fun run of October this morning. It was at a church doing it for the first time. No chips, no age categories, no list of results. I guess they have a lot to learn :)

My time was 36:34 by my stopwatch and 36:28 by their timer. My goal has been "under 38 minutes" for the past year. Maybe I've broken through that wall and I'll make my next goal "under 37 minutes."

It was almost the same route I had three weeks ago. I don't like that route... the last mile starts out with a long uphill slope and usually the sun is blazing from across the water, but at least this morning the run started at 7:00 so it was not so hot. It was probably about 68-70 degrees which is still too warm for my taste.

monmis12
10-26-2013, 10:57 AM
Great run tabbycat! Great job on getting to your goal!

Well I was cold cold cold in my running gear. Most people were in tights and some even had an extra shirt/layer on as well as ear warmers or hats. It actually felt like my toes were cold the whole time and they are still cold now. I got 10 seconds from my PR! 27:40. Although this was not a huge 5k, from last years race results I could tell there are a lot of fast runners in my age group. I think I came in 5th or 6th out of maybe 25? No 5k tomorrow. I'm looking forward to a long run. I will be wearing warmer clothes though.

Cherrypie.Good luck on your running! I love kohls! In fact, both my shirt and capris were from kohls. I don't think my tights are too heavy so I'll try them tomorrow on my run.

monmis12
10-27-2013, 10:56 AM
I can't believe October is almost done!

I did my long run this morning. I ran 8.3 miles in 1hr 25min. So basically, a 10 min mile. Not too bad since my 5k pace is right at a 9min mile. There are a few hills on this route. Too bad this route is only suitable for an early Sunday run due to a lot of commuter traffic in the am and pm on weekdays. I also wouldn't run this route in the dark.

Lizzyg
10-27-2013, 11:18 AM
Good run!!

I did 2.5 miles yesterday and then an additional .6 miles up and down a hill. My butt was sore from a workout DVD I did on Friday and that hill made it even more sore! I'm trying to get motivated to do something but I've been caught up in following my Dad and friends on FB who are running the MCM today. And my exercise stuff is in the dryer too.

CherryPie99
10-27-2013, 01:29 PM
17 miles done this morning - only the 2nd time I've run this distance. I was hurting pretty bad by the end. How the heck do marathoners do it??

Tabbycat
10-27-2013, 08:45 PM
Cherrypie, I don't know how YOU do it! I can't even fathom running 5 miles, and you did 17!

I did a very slow 3 miles this evening.

monmis12
10-28-2013, 07:18 AM
Cherrypie... 17 miles is amazing. Are you training for a marathon?

8 miles is about the most I've done. I could have done more yesterday(after a bathroom break that is).

After my 8 miles yesterday, I went to a spin class. Its a fairly easy class as far as instructors go and I took it easy. I went just to get out of the house.

Today I ran about 5 miles before work in the dark. After stepping off the road a few weeks ago when a car was coming, and hurting my foot, I now stop when I see a car coming. Their headlights are blinding and a few of them put their brights on which makes it worse

CherryPie99
10-28-2013, 08:57 AM
No, no marathon in my future. I try to do a longish run every Sunday and yesterday I was feeling good and decided to take a longer route home. I was regretting that decision around mile 15 LOL.

Pretty soon I will be relegated to the basement treadmill and I can't fathom running 13 miles on that sucker, so I'm getting some mileage in while I can. And I had a beautiful cheddar cheese bagel waiting for me that I wanted to eat guilt free :dizzy:

Tabbycat - a quick story. I started running outside in May, 2011 (started on the treadmill Nov. 2010). And I got "stuck" at 3 miles. I could only run that far before my brain insisted that I HAD TO STOP. My friend, a marathoner, told me that he was going to get my rear pass that and ran with me one day at lunch. When we hit three, he all but dragged me forward. We did 3.5 only, but as I stood there with my hands on my knees, tears in my eyes, the thought that I would EVER IN MY LIFE run 5 miles, let alone 17? Not a chance. I don't know what your goals are, but if you want it and work for it, you might shock yourself like I have!!

Jen

Mrs Snark
10-28-2013, 11:49 AM
Wow, Cherrypie, great job! I don't know how marathoners do it. Anything past a half-mary distance and I am seriously miserable. And that was waaay back when before I hurt my back. I won't be doing that mileage again.

Great job on the 17 miler!

Today I did 4 miles on my treadmill. Last Friday I did my first 5k race in years, since before I injured my back). It was a fun time!

Rhiko
10-28-2013, 10:07 PM
I only did 2.4km yesterday in an attempt to burn off unhealthy food lol :)

lm3898
10-29-2013, 02:02 PM
Cherry so glad you're back!! I was checking in with your blog to make sure you were ok. Sorry about what you're going though & hope you're doing better.

Hi guys! I have been MIA due to dealing with some emotional issues in my life, but I am hopeful of getting back on track.

I am still running and still battling the **** that is Achilles Tendonitis.

So far in October I have run 158 miles. No local races until Thanksgiving morning's 5K that I have found.

monmis12 - I bought from Kohl's these thin colored capri length fashion tights. They work great - add a little bit of warmth but aren't full heavy tights for this time of year.

Jen

CherryPie99
10-29-2013, 02:37 PM
Thanks so much lm - I am actually feeling really good the last couple of days. I did the elliptical yesterday, but just ran 7 miles at lunch and my Achilles felt great. I mean, it is still there, but after running 17 on Sunday I thought it would be killing me today and it wasn't. Good time - 56:13.

monmis12
10-31-2013, 07:52 AM
Tues-Did 5 mile run on the bypass in town. Maybe the tiredness I feel makes the workout more intense:) I got through it though.

Wed-Ran a few miles before work. Tried to do some Fartleks but need to save that for the beginning of the week when I'm not as tired. After work, did a kettlebell class. Very relaxing and a good work out too!

Not sure about today. I think its a rest day for me as well Friday...

Goddess Jessica
10-31-2013, 02:32 PM
I'm very proud of myself. I pulled my back out on Sunday carving a TARDIS pumpkin for Halloween. I've only pulled my back out a few times and it's always muscular and due to me trying to do something like pick up my 30-pound toddler as she's running away. Immediately, I couldn't stand up, so I laid on the floor and elevated my feet and then worked through some yoga poses to work it out. With my back the MORE I move, the quicker and better it feels.

By Monday, it felt great standing and walking but hurt like heck when I sat. So I went for a run. A little crazy but it was a slow run and I paid attention to my body. Tuesday I did some yoga to open up my lower back and hips. Wednesday I ran again. Now I can sit feel it when I sit but it's not nearly as bad.

Previously, I might have used this as an opportunity not to run but now that I have a better idea of what I really need (as opposed to what I want), I really healed faster. Yay me!

Tabbycat
10-31-2013, 07:53 PM
Tabbycat here.

Thanks for the encouraging story, Cherrypie. I'm almost 58 and just started running less than two years ago. I think my dream goal is a sub-35-minute 5K.

I ran a very slow 3.8 miles tonight (might have been 4 miles, but I'll be conservative and not claim a 4 mile run until I KNOW for sure it was really 4 miles). It's the longest I've done at one time. I wanted to meet the goal of the Lazyman Marathon challenge and I still had 3.8 miles to go and it's the last day of the month, so I decided to just do it! It's a modest triumph but I felt proud of myself. :)

Lizzyg
11-01-2013, 07:49 AM
I ended Oct with a nice 2.5 mile run in the rain :)

CherryPie99
11-01-2013, 08:33 AM
Yesterday there was torrential rain and wind when it was time for my run so I totally wussed out. Instead I ran up and down 115 stairs for an hour. Wow! I hurt wayyyyyy more today than after my 17 mile run on Sunday.

I feel guilty for not putting in the miles, but my soreness tells me that no matter how fit you are, when you mix things up you find muscles you didn't know existed!

October's totals = 137.6 miles running
Year to date: 1,197 miles

Jen

monmis12
11-02-2013, 07:10 AM
Cherrypie, Great job on the stairs! I bet that was a work out.

I did the "Million Calorie Burn 5k" this morning. I ran it in 28 min which is just 30 seconds from my PR. This one had some hills! I got first in my age group but they moved me to 2nd place Masters and when I went to get my award, they told me they only ordered a 1st place Master award. Of course, I was knocked out of an age group award so I got zippo:( They are going to send it to me. I was not impressed. I had a great run though.

Tomorrow I'm doing a training run in a park near me that has good hills! I'm excited.

Anybody else run today?