Metabolic Research Center - MRC October 2013

Pages : 1 [2]

View Full Version : MRC October 2013

patzi
10-28-2013, 11:45 AM
Skelley...

You sound great . You sound positive and that is fantastic. You can make it with a positive attitude.

Patzi..

skelley331
10-28-2013, 02:35 PM
Skelley...

You sound great . You sound positive and that is fantastic. You can make it with a positive attitude.

Patzi..

Thanks patzi, I really think I've found my way using the fitbit flex, it's nice to know just how many calories I actually burn instead of guess. I'm still going to the center to weigh in once a week and the last two weeks I've lost at least 1lb, according to my scales i'm losing 1 1/2lbs but that's ok. I am positive and feel great! I'm losing inches also. :carrot:

patzi
10-28-2013, 02:48 PM
Skelley 331

I still have not bought that fitbit flex, but really need to get to that. I believe this is the one that Jen told us about..

I do the Fitnesspal and have since I started MRC over 3 years ago.. I think this coming May will be 4 years, but not sure..

Patzi

aschooley29
10-28-2013, 02:54 PM
I'm doing three a day, did 3-4 first time around. The expensive items are the vitamins, oils, efa's, and I took cortitrim and MRC6, I agree the program works for fast weight loss but when I was on it even with the green menu I averaged around 700-800 calories a day, I see where some on here say on the green menu they get 1000-1200 a day but I never managed to get that. I'm not following the green menu anymore, i'm on myfitnesspal and using the fitbit flex band and doing calories in calories out and i'm losing 1-1 1/2 lbs a week doing -750 calorie deficit a day. I can't seem to stay on plan thru MRC, but I was also told that their menus are specifically set up to keep you in fat burn mode and if you eat outside the menu's it will slow your weight loss. I'm not saying the plan doesn't work but I can't eat the same foods over and over forever.

I completely understand about eating the same things over and over again. It gets very boring. I might try to maintain using the flex band. It sounds like it works.

skelley331
10-28-2013, 03:12 PM
Skelley 331

I still have not bought that fitbit flex, but really need to get to that. I believe this is the one that Jen told us about..

I do the Fitnesspal and have since I started MRC over 3 years ago.. I think this coming May will be 4 years, but not sure..

Patzi

Patzi,
Yes this is the one JenB told us about and you would love it. It says you can wear it in the shower but I do not. But other than that I wear it 24/7, I charge it when i'm at my desk at work pretty much idol. But you can track your Blood pressure, your glucose, if you go to their website www.fitbit.com you can see what all it does.

skelley331
10-28-2013, 03:19 PM
I completely understand about eating the same things over and over again. It gets very boring. I might try to maintain using the flex band. It sounds like it works.

It totally does for me but you have to log everything you eat and I monitor the app. Like when you wake up it tells you how many calories you can start your day with and how many calories your burn during your sleep. You put in all your stats when you sign up and it's free, and it has four plans,
1. Easier
2. Medium
3. Kinda hard - which is what I do
4. Harder
so you can choose how you want to lose weight. I can't say enough about this flex band. I'm not much of a breakfast person so I start my day with a decaf grande skinny mocha 140 cals 18g carbs 4g fiber (so net 14 carbs) but has 15g protein, then i'll eat a salad with grilled chicken from mcdonalds and use walden farms 0 calorie 0 everything ranch dressing then for supper i'll do my protein veggies and maybe a 40 cal slice of whole wheat bread for starch. And then if my calories allow I might have a scoop of breyers carb smart choc ice cream net 4 carbs or a MRC vanilla wafer bar (if I don't have those I buy atkins bars) for my sweet tooth.

skelley331
10-28-2013, 03:21 PM
Skelley 331

Patzi

Oh and congrats on almost 4 yrs of maintaining you are the ROCK! I have 13lbs to go to get to my goal and i'm going to for sure this time and I will maintain!! I have so much more confidence with my flex band

cmarty
10-28-2013, 06:58 PM
Oh and congrats on almost 4 yrs of maintaining you are the ROCK! I have 13lbs to go to get to my goal and i'm going to for sure this time and I will maintain!! I have so much more confidence with my flex band

Hey Skelley,
I'm glad to hear you are doing well. I'm just kind of staying in one place right now. My husband was in the hospital and I got a little off track. I am still trying to focus an get back on track!

cmarty
10-28-2013, 07:06 PM

Hey Skelley,
I'm glad to hear you are doing well. I'm just kind of staying in one place right now. My husband was in the hospital and I got a little off track. I am still trying to focus an get back on track!

skelley331
10-28-2013, 08:03 PM
Hey Skelley,

cmarty: I'm so sorry to hear about your husband i'm praying he is okay now? I would love to be at 155 where you are now as that is my goal weight but i'm slowly but surely getting there. Thirteen lbs doesn't seem like much but it's taking forever to come off but it will! You will get back on track but family always come first! I'm not following the green menu if you have seen my previous posts, just can't do it. following the calories in calories out using my fitbit flex band and i'm totally loving it. Keep us posted on how you and your husband are doing. Prayers for you and your family, I hope it's not serious. :angel:

MarleneV
10-29-2013, 12:00 AM

Aschooley, I tried to send you a PM, and it says you've disabled that option. I added you as a buddy, if you add me as one, you can turn on messages from buddys if you want...

MarleneV

JenB72
10-29-2013, 10:49 AM
I can't say enough about this flex band.

I told you it was totally addictive. ;) Using the Flex, in conjunction with MRC, has been a God send to me. It has been more of a mental help than anything else because I don't want to have to log "cheat" foods and see what it does to my calories.

In regards to the green menu and eating, it's absolutely great to know the calories, because there can be a wide range of where you can land at the end of the day calorie wise. I always try to think about my choices so I land somewhere in the 1100-1200 range. I think this will help the transition to maintenance. It's like, for a starch, you can either do a 40 calorie piece of bread, or a small potato with more calories depending on the size. Both are completely "legal" on the green menu, but one won't leave you as calorie deprived. It's all in how you balance your calories. You have to make the program work for you.

skelley331
10-29-2013, 11:06 AM
I told you it was totally addictive. ;) Using the Flex, in conjunction with MRC, has been a God send to me. It has been more of a mental help than anything else because I don't want to have to log "cheat" foods and see what it does to my calories.

In regards to the green menu and eating, it's absolutely great to know the calories, because there can be a wide range of where you can land at the end of the day calorie wise. I always try to think about my choices so I land somewhere in the 1100-1200 range. I think this will help the transition to maintenance. It's like, for a starch, you can either do a 40 calorie piece of bread, or a small potato with more calories depending on the size. Both are completely "legal" on the green menu, but one won't leave you as calorie deprived. It's all in how you balance your calories. You have to make the program work for you.

Hey Jen,

Yes and I am so glad you told us all about the flex band! Ok I see your point about the choices on the green menu, I guess I stayed away from the higher range of calories, I didn't hardly eat potatoes and the brown rice. But now i'm just following the flex calories in calories out and it's working good so far plus im still eating good but still get to have my decaf grande skinny mocha from starbucks, only 140 calories, 14 net carbs and 15 g of protein in the mornings then I have a big salad w/grilled chicken and waldens ranch dressing for lunch then my dinner is protein/steamed veggies/starch so i'm staying around 1100 calories a day:carrot:

aschooley29
10-29-2013, 12:11 PM
Aschooley, I tried to send you a PM, and it says you've disabled that option. I added you as a buddy, if you add me as one, you can turn on messages from buddys if you want...

MarleneV

I will try to add you:)

faerychic
10-29-2013, 12:13 PM
Had my weekly weigh in this morning - no change. Needless to say it's been a frustrating 4 weeks only losing 2.5 pounds. I have to say that I used to think that the people that complained about not losing were probably cheating. No more - I shouldn't have judged as I am in the same boat now. I get it now - lesson learned. Tomorrow I go to the doc to review the results of my saliva test and get a bio-identical cream compounded for me. Hope that will help with weight loss and other menopause issues. My GP also gave me the okay to get off the high blood pressure med's too. I guess that has been the positive from going back on plan so far - getting off the high BP med's.

aschooley29
10-29-2013, 12:52 PM

MarleneV

Marlene I added you as a buddy but I do not see where to turn on or off PM. How do I turn it on?

aschooley29
10-29-2013, 12:57 PM
I weighed in this morning and I lost 3 lbs this week. :carrot:

I am now in the 100's, just barely, but I am there. I never want to be in the 200's again!! I hoep everyone is having a good day.

faerychic:Kkeep your chin up, you can do this. Talk to your weight loss counselor, she might have suggestions. :hug:

skelley331
10-29-2013, 01:07 PM
Had my weekly weigh in this morning - no change. Needless to say it's been a frustrating 4 weeks only losing 2.5 pounds. I have to say that I used to think that the people that complained about not losing were probably cheating. No more - I shouldn't have judged as I am in the same boat now. I get it now - lesson learned. Tomorrow I go to the doc to review the results of my saliva test and get a bio-identical cream compounded for me. Hope that will help with weight loss and other menopause issues. My GP also gave me the okay to get off the high blood pressure med's too. I guess that has been the positive from going back on plan so far - getting off the high BP med's.

Hang in there faerychic you will get it all worked out and you'll be back to losing again. :hug:

skelley331
10-29-2013, 01:08 PM
I weighed in this morning and I lost 3 lbs this week. :carrot:

I am now in the 100's, just barely, but I am there. I never want to be in the 200's again!! I hoep everyone is having a good day.

faerychic:Kkeep your chin up, you can do this. Talk to your weight loss counselor, she might have suggestions. :hug:

Yeah congrats on moving into onerland, that's awesome! :carrot:

aschooley29
10-29-2013, 09:52 PM
MarleneV--- I asked Carrie to give you my e-mail address. Feel free to e-mail me instead of using pm. :)

MarleneV
10-29-2013, 11:30 PM
Faerychic,

I had times like this as well. In fact, I'd have 3 weeks in a row with no loss, then I'd lose 2-3 lbs in a half week, and another 2 the next half week for 5 or so in a week. It's frustrating, I know. I agree with the suggestion to ask your counselor. What I would end up doing is changing it up a little, for example, if I was having an HNS in the mid-afternoon, we'd add having an orange or apple at that same time, or take it away (depending on if I was eating this or not). Often times, that could be enough to shake it loose again.

They have other tricks too. Just a matter of perhaps the body resisting a little, so you do something a little different.

Keep going, it does pay off!

MarleneV
10-29-2013, 11:35 PM
Aschooley, GREAT job on getting to onerland!!!! That is so exciting. I know when I did, I was thrilled, because I hadn't been below 200 for a couple of years before MRC, and I thought I'd never get back there.

Thanks for telling Carrie to pass on your email, I'll ask her for it and send you a note. Since we are both without a center to actually visit, having a chance to have an extra email buddy would be nice.

MarleneV
10-29-2013, 11:40 PM
Skelley,

I wanted to say "Thank You" for all the support you are giving to everyone here. I know you have your challenges, but you are figuring out what works for you and helping others along the way. Shows true character, and I wanted to recognize you for that.

Keep it up, you'll get to your goal!

SMSDREAMER2007
10-29-2013, 11:51 PM
So I come off pre conditioning in the morning and the more I think about it im hesitant about mrc. How hungry is/was everyone on it throughout the day???

Going4Fit
10-30-2013, 02:46 AM
SMSDREAMER, I was never hungry on plan. I found myself standing in front of the refrigerator or pantry a lot the first few months on program and kept having to stop and ask myself why I was there. As in, I knew I wasn't going to go off plan, so why was I standing there looking for something to eat? You'll have to do the work to learn to evaluate your motives and separate habits from true hunger. If you do keep with MRC, my center had some really great classes that I enjoyed. But I personally believe being on such a low cal plan for so long set my brain/body up for failure when I hit maintenance and I won't recommend the plan to anyone. Apparently I've learned from here they have better menus (I was on MetaSlim) that have more carbs and calories - I would make sure you're not going below 1200.

Going4Fit
10-30-2013, 03:01 AM

Interesting. I personally didn't find much variance between the calorie count on the fruit/starches list as it seemed to me that the amounts specified kept the calories pretty much the same actually. Seemed they wanted those to only be between 40-50 calories. Like, you could have the Sara Lee bread (45 calories), 2 ounces of certain types of potatoes with skin (50 calories), 2 pieces of Melba Toast (40 calories), etc.

But certainly choosing an egg and an ounce of cheese for your protein in the morning is way more calories than 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese. So yeah - it's weird. But also keep in mind MRC is going for a ketogenic state for weight loss, which they claim is different from a straight caloric burn.

Anyway, I agree with you - knowing the calories while you're doing this is definitely to your advantage and you'll be ahead of the game when you get to maintenance. I wish I'd known about MyFitnessPal beforehand.

skelley331
10-30-2013, 06:23 AM
Skelley,

I wanted to say "Thank You" for all the support you are giving to everyone here. I know you have your challenges, but you are figuring out what works for you and helping others along the way. Shows true character, and I wanted to recognize you for that.

Keep it up, you'll get to your goal!

Thank you marleneV, you've been very supportive and informative on this site as well. That's why it's nice to come to this forum for the information and support!:)

aschooley29
10-30-2013, 10:22 AM
So I come off pre conditioning in the morning and the more I think about it im hesitant about mrc. How hungry is/was everyone on it throughout the day???

At first I was hungry, but it only took a few days and now I seem to be fine (not hungry any more). When I got hungry I ate an extra HNS, then the hunger went away. As a plus I do not crave sugar like I did before. I have more energy, and my blood sugar seems to be stabilized.

SMSDREAMER2007
10-30-2013, 10:44 AM
Just womdering. Im always sooooo full on pre conditioning like feel like thanksgiving dinner stuffed even though im only hitting 1300 calls daily on average. Sometimes as high as 1500 but usually 1292-1360 (i use mfp as well) as far as ketosis, there is actual research to back up that it burns fat waaaaay faste, its the same thing atkins, south beach and paleo all use and paleo has made leaps and bounds with peoples overall health (but i do t believe the bs bout it being primal....have you see what procolli looked like 20k years ago? Nothing like todays brocccoli)

SatinDoll
10-30-2013, 10:55 AM
So today Im going to stop cheating because its getting me nowhere but a larger number on the scale. :(

faerychic
10-30-2013, 11:37 AM

I was always hungry on the meta-slim menu, which triggered migraines for me so they put me on the meta-balance menu. I did not lose as fast but it did keep me satisfied. There are options for other plans if one does not work for you.

faerychic
10-30-2013, 11:49 AM
Faerychic,

I had times like this as well. In fact, I'd have 3 weeks in a row with no loss, then I'd lose 2-3 lbs in a half week, and another 2 the next half week for 5 or so in a week. It's frustrating, I know. I agree with the suggestion to ask your counselor. What I would end up doing is changing it up a little, for example, if I was having an HNS in the mid-afternoon, we'd add having an orange or apple at that same time, or take it away (depending on if I was eating this or not). Often times, that could be enough to shake it loose again.

They have other tricks too. Just a matter of perhaps the body resisting a little, so you do something a little different.

Keep going, it does pay off!

Thanks Marlene - I am doing the plan on my own this time- you all are my counselors LOL! I was previously on plan from November 2011 and reached goal July 2012. I regained 15 pounds of the 30 that I lost, so I am now trying to lose that on my own. I did struggle to lose when I went to the center as well, so I this is nothing new.

patzi
10-30-2013, 12:55 PM
I had maintenance weigh in and I lost the two pounds I gained last week, so I am back to 5 pounds under goal. Sure is a challenge, but so worth it.

Patzi

SMSDREAMER2007
10-30-2013, 03:21 PM
Got back from my apt. In looking at the menu (she only gave me one, it says level three and has most if not all of the pre conditioning menu items on it so Im assuming its the green menu the rest of you had) it doesnt look that bad. Aside from the starches, everything is an actual correct serving. Its what we SHOUKD be eating in the right amounts. In the last 20 years proportions in the states have been blown up to 4x what they were 40-50 years ago when "everyone was slim". 1/2 cup IS a serving of fruit and 4 oz for most veggies is a cup which is also a serving if you check packaging, etc. With the exceotion of lowering the protein intake and upping the starches a bit, their menus aee actually what the average american should be eating. (I studied community health/nutrition, my problem is I know the info but I need food list ideas because I always forget about stuff and the accountability is big for me too.) I'm going to try it out and see. My food intake for today looks to be about 1400 on this plus the protein drinks. They have me on 3 meals and 2 protein snacks a day.

aschooley29
10-30-2013, 06:21 PM
I had maintenance weigh in and I lost the two pounds I gained last week, so I am back to 5 pounds under goal. Sure is a challenge, but so worth it.

Patzi

Great job Patzi!!
:carrot:

aschooley29
10-30-2013, 06:25 PM
So today Im going to stop cheating because its getting me nowhere but a larger number on the scale. :(

You can do it!! Set a goal for not cheating for x amount of days/weeks, then allow yourself a cheat meal. I am going to not cheat until Christmas, then I am going to reward myself with going off plan for all of Christmas day. I am not sure if this is so called "Kosher", but it is keeping me going. I have something to look forward to.

skelley331
10-30-2013, 08:21 PM

Patzi

Congrats patzi, that's awesome!

SMSDREAMER2007
10-30-2013, 09:10 PM
Yay patzi!!!! Congrats!!!

MarleneV
10-31-2013, 12:19 AM
You can do it!! Set a goal for not cheating for x amount of days/weeks, then allow yourself a cheat meal. I am going to not cheat until Christmas, then I am going to reward myself with going off plan for all of Christmas day. I am not sure if this is so called "Kosher", but it is keeping me going. I have something to look forward to.

This was my plan... My cheat was that I had ham, a special potatoe family dish, and a small glass of wine, and not much of any of it. Just expect that you may bounce up a little... The trick is to make it something really special like this, and then get right back to it.

Going4Fit
10-31-2013, 12:49 AM
Yeah, getting right back to it is definitely the trick!

Setting that goal of how many days to go without cheating works for me all the time. I almost always find when I get there, I don't need the cheat day after all. After being so good, nothing seems worth it!

Well I'm on a roll ladies. 30 days without missing any of my calorie targets or workouts. Feels so good to be back in control. On busy days like today I often have a few hundred calories left at the end of the night. Love that I don't feel like "spending" those on junk. Been choosing healthy whole foods and high protein things instead.

My grandmother is visiting right now and I'm struggling mightily with all the criticism about my eating and exercising and of course visitors always throw off schedules and want to go out to eat, etc. I'm sticking with it anyway. I love her to pieces but I'm an adult and I don't answer to her. My body is mine to take care of!

SMSDREAMER2007
10-31-2013, 02:14 AM
Good going 4 !! Keep it up!

JenB72
10-31-2013, 10:54 AM
Well, there has been a silver lining to being sick this past week (looking for the positive). I actually continued to lose weight while PMSing. I'll normally plateau for 7-10 days during that time. TTOM started today, so I'm hoping I still have the loss I normally do when I start.

patzi
10-31-2013, 03:51 PM
Friend of mine on MRC sent me this that she received from her center.

just wanted to send you some information that will help you NOT eat candy. Candy is a trick not a treat especially when your working hard to achieve your goal. Don't be fooled!!!!

How true this is..

Patzi

SMSDREAMER2007
10-31-2013, 04:03 PM
Very! Sadly, im 2 days on plan and im not *hungry* but im not satusfied like I was on pre conditioning either. I ate a cookie today too cause im just not satisfied. Definately going to try to finish out the month I paid for but thinking this wont work long term :/ I really wanted it to too.

aschooley29
10-31-2013, 04:34 PM
Friend of mine on MRC sent me this that she received from her center.

just wanted to send you some information that will help you NOT eat candy. Candy is a trick not a treat especially when your working hard to achieve your goal. Don't be fooled!!!!

How true this is..

Patzi

Thank you for this Patzi. I am struggling today. I want to help my 5 year old make Halloween cupcakes, I am just not sure I can be strong enough not to eat them. Cupcakes are a trick....I will not be fooled!!

aschooley29
10-31-2013, 04:37 PM

Setting that goal of how many days to go without cheating works for me all the time. I almost always find when I get there, I don't need the cheat day after all. After being so good, nothing seems worth it!

Well I'm on a roll ladies. 30 days without missing any of my calorie targets or workouts. Feels so good to be back in control. On busy days like today I often have a few hundred calories left at the end of the night. Love that I don't feel like "spending" those on junk. Been choosing healthy whole foods and high protein things instead.

My grandmother is visiting right now and I'm struggling mightily with all the criticism about my eating and exercising and of course visitors always throw off schedules and want to go out to eat, etc. I'm sticking with it anyway. I love her to pieces but I'm an adult and I don't answer to her. My body is mine to take care of!

You are so strong Going4fit. I admire your dedication. Keep it up!!:carrot:

skelley331
10-31-2013, 07:31 PM

Going4fit: You are right you have been doing great! And remember that they are visitors and will eventually leave, so stick with your plan and yes it's your body to take care of. We all love our families but we need to love ourselves also! good job

skelley331
10-31-2013, 07:32 PM
Well, there has been a silver lining to being sick this past week (looking for the positive). I actually continued to lose weight while PMSing. I'll normally plateau for 7-10 days during that time. TTOM started today, so I'm hoping I still have the loss I normally do when I start.

Jen, so glad you are still losing, I hope that you are feeling better!!