Chicks in Control - Binge Free and Overeating Free in October.

Pages : [1] 2

tyla
09-30-2013, 06:01 PM
Posting a new thread for the month of October. :witch:

If you would like to stop your old habit of bingeing or overeating, please join us. It's not about being perfect, it's about changing habits. Little by little, we can stop this destructive behavior together. :) It takes time to reach this goal of not turning to food when we become emotional, but we can do this together. :hug:

Let's be binge free or overeating free this month. Who wants to join? :bat:

Sum38
09-30-2013, 06:05 PM
This sounds like a thread to me :) I am notorious what comes to over eating at times.

Looking forward to knowing you all.

alaskanlaughter
09-30-2013, 06:22 PM
i might have to join this one too...i dont think i "qualify" as a binge eater but i can definitely eat well past the point of fullness especially if it's pizza or sweets...my goals right now are to eat low sugar. stay around 1500 calories per day, and no food after dinner (although i've made it okay to have diet hot chocolate or tea in the evenings)....i try to hit those goals every day and i think that helps me from major overeating in the evenings

tefrey
09-30-2013, 07:47 PM
This is going to be a really emotional month for me. When I binge it really does feel like I'm try to fill the a great nothingness within me ... all the self doubt and sadness, so I know I will be facing my demons head on.

I've been pretty much binge free on this diet so far, but October is going to be a battle.

NoNoNOJ
09-30-2013, 09:21 PM
I definitely belong in this forum. I have been feeling so dejected and discouraged. I think it would benefit me to check in here daily to discuss my progress. Thanks for starting the thread!

tyla
09-30-2013, 11:36 PM
Welcome, Sum, Alaskanlaughter, tefrey and NoNoNOJ!

This is going to be a great month for all of us. We're going to face our challenges together. I want us all to feel encouraged. We can do this! October is a great month. It's Autumn, the weather is changing, it will be Halloween soon and we're going to enjoy everyday. We're going to do this one step at a time. I'm so glad you are all here with me. :hug: :hug: :hug:

When you get the urge to splurge, I want you to ask yourself, "What is really going on?" What's making you want to eat? You know it has to do with some sort of emotion. Then get out of the food area, and go do something nice for yourself. As I mentioned in last month's thread, studies at Rutgers University find that buying yourself yellow flowers brings you endorphins, and the color yellow brings you joy. Endorphins reduces your stress, relaxes you and makes you happy. That's just one thing you can do.

By the way, if you are sad, you are thinking about something negative from your past. But if you're anxious, you're thinking about your future. Let's try to stay in the present, and enjoy everything beautiful that is going on around us.

Please don't think I'm a know it all, I just have studied a lot on this subject to try to get it right. :)

Anyone else want to join us? Jump right in. :)

ILoveVegetables
10-01-2013, 03:01 AM
Hi, I'd like to join in here :)

I don't follow any diet, I rely entirely on controlling my portions, so I really want to hold myself accountable to not overeating. My biggest weakness is nighttime bingeing. I've managed to cut that out almost completely, but I want to make sure I don't start again.

Nice to be here :)

Sum38
10-01-2013, 08:37 AM
I had some wine last night and it is one of my trigger items. I started to snack mindlessly. So I poured the wine out and "closed" my kitchen for the night. I was about to start my binge. -- I must avoid alcohol!

I am so proud of myself this morning. -- I only ate 250 cals worth cheese and stopped a possible binge. I could be sitting here this morning, feeling guilty and miserable, but instead I am beaming with pride :D

Thanks for this thread! -- I was thinking about this thread when I was throwing the wine out.... I did not want to come back on my 2nd day and say, "hey I ate 4000 cals last night and I feel ashamed".

luzitania
10-01-2013, 09:16 AM
That is awesome sum38!!! :carrot: I know how stopping can be hard. I usually realize I am binging halfway through and it's hard to stop eating sugar when your mouth is full of them and your body screams for more. :(

That's my big vice: sugar. I am trying to control it but the best course of action would be to avoid it completely. I will try to make today sugar-free. I am going to have to take it one hour at a time. :D

tyla
10-01-2013, 10:34 AM
Sum, :bravo: :congrat: :yay: :woohoo:

This is a huge accomplishment! We are all so proud of you! This made us all happy, too! Whenever we get into a jam, we'll think of you! Thank you, Sum! :thanks:

tyla
10-01-2013, 10:41 AM
Welcome, ILoveVegetables! We're so glad you're here with us! :D

Welcome back, Luzitania! Thank you for your input! I think eating less sugar will really help curb your cravings. It has for me! We're all rooting for you! :cheer3:

As for me, I went to a Zumba class last night. It was a lot of fun, but I was so tired when I got home. Took a shower, watched a little TV and went to bed. I had oatmeal and raisins before I left for class, but too tired to eat again when I got home. I never thought I would say that! :eek:

musiclover
10-01-2013, 01:27 PM
I'm joining this thread right now - I need it badly. Very motivating to read how others stop a binge and that it can be done. I always think 'oh I'll just get through this little binge and then be strict on my plan tomorrow, Monday, next week'. But of course NO, to stop this yo-yo, it must be NOW that I stop overeating and turn away from the food. Very hard to do, but great to read that others do it, strategies to try, and that I will survive even if I don't binge.

I am committed to stay on plan every single day in October. I will give myself a fabulous (non food) reward on October 31

Mrs Snark
10-01-2013, 03:10 PM
I'm excited to see more people join us for October, yay! I'm looking forward to a healthy month, we can do it!

Mrs Snark
10-01-2013, 03:12 PM
Well done, Sum, that really truly is an amazing accomplishment! It is soooo hard to pour out wine, seriously!

tyla
10-01-2013, 04:18 PM
Musiclover, we are so glad you're here with us! Yes, October is a great month. Your commitment to change is fantastic! We're all doing it one day at a time. :) If you ever get tempted to go over, come here and tell us about it. Maybe you'll figure out why while you post. There's always a reason. It's usually stress. In the meantime, it will get you away from food. That's what I do.

Mrs.Snark, it's so good to see you here! You are right, we are GOING to do great this month. If you ever want to share any tips, please do. We could all use another perspective!

You all have to check out MrsSnark's website. Her before and after pictures are amazing!

A few minutes ago I was starving. It's close to lunchtime, and I wanted food now. I chose celery. That's a big deal, as I just came back from the grocery store. We are helping each other to stay strong. :)

seaurchin
10-01-2013, 05:43 PM
I've changed my habits a long time ago and hubby just joined me this year. Together we are down almost 100 lbs. However, i admit, I'm not perfect and just binged this afternoon. First binge in a long time. Do I regret it? YES, definately!! I've stopped eating for the rest of the day. I tell myself that tomorrow is another day. This was just slip! So a commitment to myself --no binging and overeating the rest of this month.

tarabella
10-01-2013, 08:30 PM
I'm going to try to join in regularly. I am a binger, overeater and occasional bulimic, though am in therapy for that and making progress. I had recently lost 2.5kg/ 5.5lbs and have put it back on with my overeating and am really down on myself about it. It will be good to have gentle accountability and support. I am good with regular exercise these days, but I am not managing to reduce my eating/calories much if at all. I know I eat for emotional reasons and I need to stop that habit and sit with the feelings.

I wrote myself out a bunch of palm cards last night, all with refutations for my excuses to overeat; they are there for me to refer to when I get urges. I think that, and this check in, can help me.

I hope we all can go for this day without binging/overeating.

thesame7lbs
10-01-2013, 09:01 PM
Tyla, thank you for starting us off this month with such positivity and enthusiasm!

Welcome to all the new names! So glad you are joining us. Sum38, nice job shutting it down last night -- that is so hard to do and such an important skill to learn! Like a muscle, the more you use that skill the stronger it gets. :lifter:

Musiclover, I do the same thing... I'll just finish this binge and then I'll be perfect! So much better not to start at all! Tarabella, I like the idea of palm cards. I may steal that one.

Looking forward to sharing a great month with you all!

luzitania
10-02-2013, 12:43 AM
So the day started out pretty well. I didn't eat sugar all day... until I went to cheap tuesday at the cinema and threw everything to the wind for a hot chocolate at tim hortons and a bag of m&ms at the movie. I was good for the first 19 hours of the day, but I didn't make it for the last 5.

I am kind of angry at myself to be honest. I don't know why I do this to myself. Sometimes I tell myself that maybe I don't want to lose weight that badly but I hate my body these days. I hate how uncomfortable and tight my clothes are. I hate how heavy (literally) I feel sometimes. It's hard to carry all this weight constantly on you. I know losing weight will resolve a lot of my problem, so why do I keep sabotaging myself? Why can't I find the motivation within me to say no when I see chocolate? :?:

Sorry for all the self-hate. I wanted to start the month great like you guys. :(

Mak78
10-02-2013, 02:27 AM
I am new to the site and came across this thread which seemed to be a perfect way for me to jump start my plan of taking some proactive steps to manage my overeating and recommit to weightloss and better health overall. So joining in is my first step towards achieving those goals! I am hoping to have a binge free month!

Mrs Snark
10-02-2013, 08:55 AM
I hope we all can go for this day without binging/overeating.

Welcome Tarabella! The palm cards sound like a great idea, I really like that. And above last sentence of yours really resonated with me. "One day at a time" mentality for binge management really helps me, thanks for reminding me of that.

I did well yesterday recovering from the binge on Monday. The day after a binge is always such a nightmare for me, I really felt like having a concrete plan helped me. I feel better and better as the hours pass. Today, I will focus on TODAY. I have a meal and exercise plan, and I think I will also meditate again.

Hoping we all have a healthy day today and feel at peace.

And welcome to all the new folks on the thread!

tyla
10-02-2013, 09:26 AM
luz, maybe you're putting too much pressure on yourself. Stop. Breathe. You did great for 19 hours. That's a big deal. Think how hard you tried during that time. That is a success. Besides, hot chocotate and some m&m's are not that bad. OK, things happen. Start over today with a fresh new start. I'm rooting for you! :cheer3: Don't think of the whole month. Just for today. By the way, I'm proud of you for coming here and posting about it. Wipe the slate clean, move on and start anew. Come here and post often today if you have to. :)

tyla
10-02-2013, 09:36 AM
seaurchin, welcome! I have done the same thing. No slips in a whole year, even got down to my goal. Then one day I started eating just a little, and over the next few days it became into a binge. Next thing you know I can't fit into my pants! That's why I'm here. I want desperately to fit into my cute clothes again. We will! Glad you could join us.!

Tarabella, glad you are with us, too. We have all gained and lost weight. But now we're all going to try to lose it for good and keep it lost. Thanks for sharing your palm cards idea.

Welcome back, 7lbs and MrsSnark. I'm so glad my successful buddies are back.

Mak, welcome! I'm so glad you could join us. Like I said before, take it one day at a time. We want to hear how you are doing. And we want you to succeed!

I'm sorry I had to make this brief, but I'm late. I'll post more later. Love you guys!! :grouphug:

NoNoNOJ
10-02-2013, 12:17 PM
I love every one of these posts. I agree that wine is a tough one. Yesterday was a positive day for me. It feels so much better to wake up in the morning without the shame of having overeaten the day before.

tyla
10-02-2013, 12:30 PM
NoNoNoJ, Congratulations!! I'm so happy for you. Just take it one day at a time, like we all are, and you will succeed to your goal! :congrat: :bravo:
:yay:

nlauah
10-02-2013, 01:09 PM
I think this one is definitely the one for me and I need to join... I always do so well during the day say till 5 in the evening.. I get back form work at around 5 and hit the gym and when I get back, I lose all the resolve I had through the day.. I feel so hungry that I start eating as if I was born just to eat. I dont control the portions nor the type of food that I eat.. Happens almost 3 to 4 times a week... This takes my calorie goal for a toss and since it is dinner that I over eat, my body does not have the time to spend it.. Gets accumulated:(

Probably joining here should help me stop and get rid of this habit this month.. Need the motivation!!!

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wYgmEx8/weight.png

musiclover
10-02-2013, 01:10 PM
I'm doing ok. Tarabella - great idea of palm cards, I will use that one, also the thoughts on taking it one day at a time.

Luzitania, I read (don't know how to do links, maybe someone can tell me) on a weight loss doctors blog that his No. 1 skill for weight loss is 'picking yourself up, dusting yourself off and carrying on' I'm not sure if it is the No 1 skill, but I think it is a good one.

Mrs Snark, its so strange that we overeat, feel so horrible afterwards or the next day (bloated, foggy, lethargic etc) - yet somehow do it again. I'm still trying to figure that out. Many diet books, willpower books etc recommend meditation as a fantastic tool - I had forgotten about that, and have never done it, but now will try it.

Thanks, Tyla for your support and enthusiasm

ggbsy
10-02-2013, 01:11 PM
Hey all!!!

I am joining you here, and I will make october the best month of the year! I can just feel this is going to be great :)

I have 6 binge-free days under my belt and I will make october 100% binge-free, I am ready and I am making this commitment.

Positive vibes to you all :)

ILoveVegetables
10-02-2013, 03:03 PM
Eek, I had pizza today, but unlike earlier times when I used to order a normal crust pizza with all the toppings, I ordered a plain cheese thin crust pizza. Not something to be too proud of. However what I am a little proud of is that they had a buy one get one free offer today. Normally I would have gotten two pizzas and saved the other for the next day. This time I just ordered the one and let my friends have a few slices as well. Saved quite a few calories today.

Once again, it's time to begin the night and make sure I don't eat anything.

Sum38
10-02-2013, 03:07 PM
I was sick with a tummy bug all day yesterday. I am better today, but since I ate so little a day before, I need to watch my intake very carefully today. I am ravished. -- I made my meal plan and I am sticking to it :)

ILoveVegetables Nice job on the pizza.

silentarctic
10-02-2013, 03:23 PM
I am pretty much always hungry, and I can eat insane amounts of food when I don't put the effort in to stop myself. It's pretty crazy how much I can pack away. I almost NEVER feel full...

I'm trying though this month not to overeat...

I know this is about tackling the behaviour, not the specific food but if I MUST try and feel 'full' I'm sticking to things like celery or cucumbers. Even so I would like to be moderate with that. I am however not moderating my water intake I can drink as much of that as I want to if I feel hungry/thirsty I'm going to drink water.

thesame7lbs
10-02-2013, 06:12 PM
Wow! It's good to see so many people joining this thread! Well, not good maybe, because in an ideal world, none of us would be struggling with this. But it's the real world, and everyone's got something. So with that in mind, I'm grateful for this forum to bring us together for mutual support.

I wanted to share a couple lines from Mrs. Snark's blog. This really spoke to me:

My long experience with binging has taught me that after a binge I am in a heightened state of vulnerability for several days. It's like being down in a deep, dark hole, where your IBC whispers in your ear that it is ever-so-much easier to stay in the hole and keep binging than it is to climb out and resume a normal life. That's a lie. I am already out of the hole -- the binge is in the past -- and I'm not going back down.

I LOVE THIS! How many times have I listened to that IBC and agreed that it's easier to stay in the hole? Because sometimes it seems easier. Sometimes it seems easier to keep overeating, to avoid the scale, to pull on the forgiving yoga pants instead of unforgiving jeans. But easy in the short term is so, so much harder in the long term. This is an idea I am going to keep with me -- that I am OUT of the hole and I have the power to KEEP myself out.

Another bit of Mrs. Snark wisdom that I want to share with you, Nlauah. Last month we were talking about recognizing a binge pattern (in particular, staying on-plan at an event or party and then coming home and relieving the stress of all that on-plannness with a binge). Mrs. Snark introduced the idea of being [I]On Guard. My next party, I was on guard. Instead of letting that urge to binge sneak up on me or "happen to me," I went in prepared for that after-party vulnerability and I was able to nip it in the bud! I'm mentioning this because it sounds like you need to be on guard when you get home from the gym. Maybe have your post-workout snack already chosen and set out, so you can grab it and munch while you prep dinner. Have a plan, rather than coming home to "what what what should I eat??" Because for me, when I ask that, and I'm starving, the answer all-too-frequently is, "Everything!" Just a thought. :)

Silentarctic, when I have that just-can't-get-full feeling, I chow on celery, cucumbers, bell peppers, sugar snap peas... basically any fresh veggie I can dig out of the fridge!

NoNoNoJ, I'm glad you woke up feeling good today!

Ilovevegetables, nice work on the portion control!

Sum38, I'm sorry you were sick. Way to be on guard today!

Hello to ggbsy, musiclover, luzitania, mak78, tyla and Mrs Snark!

I hope everyone is having a good day!

tyla
10-02-2013, 07:41 PM
Welcome, Nlaugh, Musiclover, ggbsy, and Silentartic!

Nlaugh, like 7lbs. said, have a snack ready to go when you walk in the door. Or have dinner ready (a large salad and fruit, yogurt or something you can pop in the microwave.) One step at a time. :)

Musiclover, thank you for joining us and your information. I know you'll do great! :bravo:

ggbsy, congrats on your 6 binge-free days! :congrat:

Silentarctic, You know why we overeat? We're trying to quiet the voices in our head. Instead of taking drugs or alcohol, we've decided eating food is acceptable. Ask yourself, "What is really going on?" Am I not good enough, not perfect enough, did I do something stupid, so I'll stuff my face until the pain goes away. (Or so I'm too busy eating to think about it.) Just a thought. :)

Ilovevegetables, congratulations on changing your eating habits! This is a huge deal. You should be sooooo proud of yourself! :congrat:

Sum, I hope you feel better. :)

7lbs. that was an excellent post!

As for me, I had a frustrating moment this afternoon. This could have done me in today, but I chose a peach instead. I'm sucking on the pit, and that seems to work just fine. Coming here and posting about it helps, too. Yay for me. :yay:

JulesMarion
10-02-2013, 07:46 PM
I'm joining in!

I've been doing really well since Aug. 23, when I made the decision to start living a healthy life. Then, a few days ago (last weekend) I had a splurge "day" that turned into a splurge "weekend", which is a hard mindset to get out of... "but there's still junk food, and I have to eat it to make sure it's not here so I don't eat it..." (there's good logic if I ever found it).

So, Monday I got back up and started eating healthy again and here I am! Making this a binge-and-overeating-free October. I allow myself a day here or there maybe 2 times a month when I indulge (but not go nuts) and that helps me retrain my body that food will always be there and I don't have to eat it all at once. I've avoided the scale since then... hoping I didn't completely blow everything I've been working for.

Today I had 3 hard boiled eggs with a little bit of hummus for breakfast, 5 Wasa crackers with hummus for a snack, and a shrimp linguine lean cuisine for lunch with a cup of coffee and 1 tbsp of sweetened creamer.

tyla
10-02-2013, 08:20 PM
Hi JM! Welcome to our group! By the way, I've had that same logic before, so you're not alone. I bet several of us had. You're right to tell yourself that food will always be there. Sometimes we think we will never be allowed to have a certain food again, and that's why (on a binge) we eat everything we couldn't have before. Congratulations on changing this thinking and trying to do better! :congrat: You've done marvelous today. Kudos to you!!!

nlauah
10-02-2013, 09:40 PM
Hey tyla and 7lbs.. Thanks for the tips.. I will definitely keep that in mind and today I did not binge :D

Need all the motivation I can get :D

http://tickers.tickerfactory.com/ezt/t/wYgmEx8/weight.png

tyla
10-03-2013, 02:05 AM
nlauah, That is sooooo great! Woo Hoo! :woohoo:

Mak78
10-03-2013, 03:06 AM
Thank you 7lbs for sharing those lines from Mrs. Snarks blog as they were truly inspirational and spoke to me as well. I realized that I have been in a relapse living from binge to binge over the past 6 or 7 months and it has been that voice that has kept me immobilized believing that it was easier to just keep eating than it would be to try to control it. I even believed that voice today and did not exercise much control over my food intake today, but instead of beating myself up I am taking Mrs. Snarks words to heart tomorrow today's binge will be in the past ,and I will be at a highented level of vulnerability but now I have some more insight as to what has been happening that has kept me in my dark hole. I'm climbing out!

elderflower
10-03-2013, 09:16 AM
Can I join? I'm new to 3FC but have been reading for a while. I really want to commit to Atkins this month, but have issues binging. I'm living abroad now so I'm having a lot of stress and it makes me want to eat :(. I really want to stay low-carb, and not only does bingeing make me feel bad physically and emotionally, but it takes me out of low carb. It's a vicious cycle!

nlauah
10-03-2013, 09:32 AM
Thanks tyla :) I am going to try and do it again today.. hopefully as successful as yesterday!

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wYgmEx8/weight.png

luzitania
10-03-2013, 12:05 PM
I know what you mean elderflower. I also moved (though I only crossed Canada) and it can be very stressful especially when you do it on your own. It gets easier though. Promise. :)

tyla
10-03-2013, 12:06 PM
Good Morning! Another beautiful day, another fresh start! Here's to a successful overeating free day! We're all in this together. :hug:

Elderflower, welcome! Post anytime and tell us how you are doing. I completely relate to being abroad and feeling stressed. I lived abroad, too. Are you studying or working there? I did both. So glad you could join us! :)

nlauah, congrats!! I know you'll do great today, too. I'm sending you good thoughts. :bravo:

Having lunch with my girlfriends today. I've decided on a low cal salad and a cup of coffee. I will not eat the whole thing. Met my goal of eating within range until I saw them today. My next mini goal is to stay in range and try to lose before my next Zumba class on Tuesday. Have a great day, everyone! :hug: :hug: :hug:

musiclover
10-03-2013, 01:56 PM
I'm not big on journalling, writing a food diary etc., but have read that it is helpful with staying on plan. However coming here and posting definitely helps me renew my commitment each day.

Lots of helpful support here. One of my biggest struggles is with nighttime eating as other posters have. When everyone else is in bed, and I am alone in the kitchen cleaning up and preparing their lunches for the next day...I have fallen into the habit of stuffing my face. Sometimes I am tired, and use the food to keep going, sometimes I am bit resentful of being the one cleaning up (although I know it is my contribution to the household as I am the only one not working and it is my responsibility) and so I will have 'a little treat' for myself and often find myself looking forward to everyone going off to bed leaving me to eat what I want.

So now I will be AWARE and ON GUARD. Have a snack that is part of my plan available, and sit quietly for a few minutes reminding myself of my commitment before I get into the kitchen. I need to break this habit.

Mrs Snark
10-03-2013, 02:36 PM
I'm so glad everyone is checking in! Hugs to all!

Having a good day here, feeling relatively calm and in control (looove that feeling!). Last night while cooking my husband's dinner I drank 2 sixteen ounce glasses of very warm water because I was making him garlic bread and was a wee bit tempted by the giant loaf of white (evil!!) bread. The water definitely helped. White bread is a real no no for me, I have to avoid even a nibble.

I often wish my husband would eat what I eat (and *not* eat, what I *don't* eat), but that is *never* going to happen. We all have challenges when dealing with the other people in our lives who may not have our problems, it is tricky coming up with strategies to deal with it!

nlauah
10-03-2013, 02:37 PM
Elderflower - I totally understand what it is to be living abroad... I still am living abroad and there is a lot of stress and emotion related to it that made me eat and gain quite some pounds... I have always found that keeping myself busy has helped me deal with it better.. Hope you too find a way :D

Mrs Snark
10-03-2013, 02:40 PM
I am pretty much always hungry, and I can eat insane amounts of food when I don't put the effort in to stop myself. It's pretty crazy how much I can pack away. I almost NEVER feel full...

Same here, though I will say that it is changing as time goes on. I used to never, ever feel full. And I could out-eat everyone I know, including my hubbie who is 6'6 and 290.

Now, after almost six months on plan, that is changing in that I am getting a full feeling after a pretty reasonable amount of food. It is surprising!

tyla
10-03-2013, 03:16 PM
Mrs.Snark and 7lbs., I've read your posts about motivation on another thread. They were excellent posts! Do you mind reposting some motivational tips for all of us here? Anything to keep us all motivated is fantastic! Thank you for both of your inputs. :thanks:

elderflower
10-03-2013, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the welcome!:hug:
I'm wasn't too strict with myself for today, but still tried to make good choices. I'm actually working as an au pair right now, and so have a lot of time during the day I'm trying to occupy. I try to keep myself, and my hands, busy. This probably isn't the thread but it's also hard to try and fit my diet into the family's meals, especially since they don't really understand dieting and low-carb and are always telling me I don't eat healthily since I'm eating low-carb stuff, so meat, eggs, cheese, etc. even though I eat TONS of veggies.
Sorry to go on a bit! Very glad to be here, I think it will be really good for me to have somewhere to check in. I also noticed how someone upthread said something about mini goals. I'm going to try this! I get too discouraged by the big goals.

Mak78
10-04-2013, 01:30 AM
I was able to stick to a food plan today for the first time in months! In the past I never would have considered one day as significant in any way and the hurtful voice inside of me actually would have made me feel like this one day didn't even matter. But today I am letting myself feel really good about the fact that I made a decision to take this journey one day at a time and honor that by controlling what I accepted from that voice inside me that has kept me trapped in a vicious cycle of overeating and feeling horrible about myself. Today I made progress! I made a change to this one part of the pattern in dealing with my food issues ,and I feel like my hope is being restored that recovery is possible for me! I hope everyone had a great day. :-)

Primalgirl
10-04-2013, 03:33 AM
Hello, I'd like to join this thread from the beginning this time!

I really need somewhere to be accountable and this group is perfect, Thanks tyla :D

My goals for this month are to get to 160 lbs, wean myself off sugar and actually have structured meals - not just eat whenever I get hungry.
Also - I'm going to try the 2 cups of water when I get the urge to binge

Good luck everyone!!

noelle8310
10-04-2013, 08:18 AM
Hi all!! I'd like to join in as well. I caught myself binging last night, so I forced myself to stop, drink some water, and do a light workout. The bad part was I at mor of the same chips and chocolate after my binge-intervention!! Today I am up three lbs (lots of sodium) and completely down on myself. I have many of the same issues mentioned...fiancé won't eat like me, if there is junk food in the house I think it is my duty to finish it, etc. I love all the positivity and advice in here!! I hope this will help me deter these binges!

Sum38
10-04-2013, 08:29 AM
I went out for lunch and I did not over eat! I ordered a salad with dressing on the side and ate until I was full. I picked a seafood restaurant on purpose. Hard to OD on fish.

Today marks day 8 since my last over eating episode.

Mrs Snark
10-04-2013, 10:12 AM
TGIF Everyone! I am ready for the weekend and feeling positive. I even managed to enjoy a single martini last night without any snacking or mental struggle. It was lovely. It helped to have a plan for the day and not veer from it

This probably isn't the thread but it's also hard to try and fit my diet into the family's meals, especially since they don't really understand dieting and low-carb and are always telling me I don't eat healthily since I'm eating low-carb stuff, so meat, eggs, cheese, etc. even though I eat TONS of veggies.

It is always hard when people want to manage what you eat and put their own beliefs on you. I've noticed that since I'm currently at the lower end of the scale there are people who think I'm "fixed now" and no longer have to work hard at managing my weight (despite seeing me gain/lose/gain/lose repeatedly). Ha, so faaar from the truth! Suddenly everyone has an opinion ("surely you don't need to measure olive oil any more" they scoff, and "it isn't like white bread will kill you, go on, eat some" as they wave rolls at me).

I have adopted a very Zen attitude about what other people think and say. I just try to look very serene, smile slightly, and not respond, even if it leaves an awkward silence. Sometimes I even nod a little, while I go right on doing what I'm doing. It was a bit "fake it until you make it" at first, as my stomach would be in knots and I'd feel really angry, but the more I put on the Zen face the less other people's opinions actually affect me!

I was able to stick to a food plan today for the first time in months! In the past I never would have considered one day as significant in any way and the hurtful voice inside of me actually would have made me feel like this one day didn't even matter.

:carrot: Congratulations! Every moment and every day is a BIG victory and it is all those single moments comprised of multiple good decisions that get you where you want to go! You should be so proud of yourself!

My goals for this month are to get to 160 lbs, wean myself off sugar and actually have structured meals - not just eat whenever I get hungry. Also - I'm going to try the 2 cups of water when I get the urge to binge

Good luck everyone!!

It sounds like you have a great plan, I just know October will be a great month!

Hi all!! I'd like to join in as well. I caught myself binging last night, so I forced myself to stop, drink some water, and do a light workout. The bad part was I at mor of the same chips and chocolate after my binge-intervention!! Today I am up three lbs (lots of sodium) and completely down on myself. I have many of the same issues mentioned...fiancé won't eat like me, if there is junk food in the house I think it is my duty to finish it, etc. I love all the positivity and advice in here!! I hope this will help me deter these binges!

Welcome Noelle! This is a very supportive place, we can do this!

I went out for lunch and I did not over eat! I ordered a salad with dressing on the side and ate until I was full. I picked a seafood restaurant on purpose. Hard to OD on fish.

Today marks day 8 since my last over eating episode.

:bravo: Great job, Sum!!!

tyla
10-04-2013, 05:25 PM
Sorry it took so long for me to post today, but I'm really not feeling well. So I'm making this kinda brief.

I just wanted to congratulate everyone that is not overeating. Congrats to Sum and Mak and anyone that is doing great! I'm so proud of all of us for sticking with it!

Welcome, PrimalGirl and Noelle! Great goals!

Yesterday when I went out to lunch I just had a small bowl of soup and a 3rd of a small green salad/vinaigrette dressing. Doing great today. When tempted I went out for a cup of coffee.

Thanks for your post, MrsSnark.

Going to bed to rest.

Hugs to all! :hug: :hug: :hug:

ILoveVegetables
10-04-2013, 06:46 PM
Whew, ok, I haven't binged for the past 4 days now. I'm awake (it's 3:15 am right now where I am), and I'm dying to eat something, so I'm posting here to distract myself and maybe make myself feed bad about it :p

I normally have breakfast (sandwich with egg, tomato & onion... not very healthy or unhealthy) at about 5:30 or 6 am, lunch at around 1 and dinner at 8:30. It works if I have just 3 meals in the day, because I can't have very little and feel satisfied, so many small meals doesn't work for me. I also know that if I eat now, I'll feel hungry by 9 or 10 and my whole eating cycle will be thrown off. I'm trying to think of things to occupy my mind. What do you guys do when you want to avoid a binge?

nlauah
10-04-2013, 10:31 PM
Hey everyone!!! I did well for the last 2 days and did not binge :) and you know what it showed on my scale as well.. got it moving :D

Thanks to you guys!! I think the accountability and the motivation from here helps me to do this :D

thesame7lbs
10-04-2013, 11:30 PM
I'm awake (it's 3:15 am right now where I am), and I'm dying to eat something.... What do you guys do when you want to avoid a binge?

LOL! Sometimes I go to sleep -- especially if it's that late!!! ;)

Mak78
10-04-2013, 11:33 PM
I struggled a little today but I managed to stay on plan for another day! I am more clear about my goals for this month and am moving from planning my meals the day before to planning for a week at a time. I am not sure about my calorie range but I think it needs to be somewhere under 1600 a day. So one day has turned into two days being in control of what I eat and how much I eat! It has been very helpful to find encouragement here and a place to be have some accountability which I really need to help me stay honest with myself. Thanks Mrs. Snark for the encouraging words! I read some of your blog post and they were very inspiring! I hope everyone is doing well.

thesame7lbs
10-05-2013, 02:40 AM
Hi everyone,

WOW! I'm blown away by the positive energy on this thread! What incredible support we are providing to each other. :hug:

Elderflower, I think you've made a good decision to not be too strict. I believe that restricting too much leads to binging. What a tough situation, not being in control of your food.

Mak78, so glad you've had a good couple of days! Setting goals and planning -- a perfect combination for success!

PrimalGirl, kudos to you as well for sharing your goals! I'm looking forward to reading about your success this month!

Noelle, welcome!

Sum38, I'm a big fan of seafood, too. We're eating a lot more fish at our house. It's so good for you and often the best bet on a restaurant menu.

Mrs. Snark, I love your Zen attitude - and I'm impressed by your ability to post multiple quotes! ;)

Tyla, I hope you got lots of rest and you feel better soon! I'm sipping some "throat coat" tea myself.

Vegetables, I hope you got to sleep! I can't remember the last time I saw 3 am (except to get up to pee -- TMI, sorry)

Nlauah, nice work! And nice to get a nod from the scale, huh?

I had a pretty good day. I'm trying to do more things to bring joy to my life (thanks, Tyla, for reminding me how important that is), so I went for a run here: http://mysocalsummer.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/torrey-pines-state-reserve2.jpg Seriously. See those stairs? I ran up those. Joy!

Of course now I'm exhausted. Tyla, I saw your request for ideas for motivation -- I'll do those tomorrow!

Sum38
10-05-2013, 07:43 AM
How beautiful thesame7lbs!!!

Mak78 Congratulations on staying OP. One meal at a time!! -- I plan my meals for the entire week, it helps what comes to grocery shopping time and I end up buying less tempting junk.

nlauah Here's to a third day OP :cheers: Scale can be such a nice motivator.

ILoveVegetables TEA! Hot tea help what comes to avoiding over eating. I drink, which seems, gallons of it now a days.

tyla I hope you are feeling better today :hug:

Mrs S. Woot on your martini! I wish I could enjoy a drink without the munchies that follow.

elderflower I was an au pair! That was 20+ years ago tho :D I ended up staying because I met my husband. How many kiddoes to you nanny for?

Primalgirl Nice plan!

noelle8310 Glad to have you here. Today is a new day and you can be a binge free! :hug:

:wave: to everyone else.

tyla
10-05-2013, 09:50 AM
Good Morning Everyone!

Just wanted to wish you a very healthy day! New day, fresh start. :) Thanks, everyone, for helping each other. That's what this thread is all about. :hug:

Thank you for your well wishes. Taking it easy. Have to teach on Monday.

7lbs., thanks for the beautiful photo! Wish I was back on the shore of SoCal, where I'm from. Miss it. Cherish it, 7lgs. :hug:

Mrs Snark
10-05-2013, 11:14 AM
7lbs -- wow is that gorgeous! My husband was just in that area for business and rented a bike and biked around 50 miles up and down the coast, he said it was spectacular! He biked from somewhere in La Jolla to Cabrillo National Monument, the pictures he sent me made me drool! I love that sort of coastline (here in Fla the coast is just plain old FLAT!).

Tyla -- Feel better, hon!

musiclover
10-05-2013, 01:54 PM
So great to read of daily victories - like Mak78 and Sum 38

A few days ago I was reading someone's weight loss success story,(and I'm sorry that I cannot attribute this to her because I can't find it again) but she said that whenever she found herself saying to herself or thinking the words "I may as well..." she immediately changed it to "I may as well NOT..."

I say "I may as well... really often, such as 'I may as well finish this packet of cookies - there are only 2 left' or I may as well go out and get box of doughnuts coz I need them to get over this bad day'

Well I tried her strategy, and added an emphatic NOT when I found myself doing this, and I was amazed that it actually worked. Not sure why but something in my brain made a switch and I found that I could not eat off plan. I think that the thoughts really changed - and as easy as it was for me to think 'I may as well' it became as easy to think 'Actually, I may as
well NOT'
Last night I was about to take some leftovers out the fridge and scarf them, but as I caught myself thinking I may as well just finish them, I thought actually, I may as well not, and holy moly I was happy to put them back. Woo Hoo

Mrs Snark
10-05-2013, 04:01 PM
That's an awesome idea and anecdote musiclover, thanks for sharing that! That is exactly how you form new habits, and as you do it, the change will become easier and easier and more and more natural! Love it!

Hope everyone is having a great, healthy Saturday!

I will throw out this one piece of advice for us all today: don't stop coming here! Commit to yourself that you will check in daily -- even if it is just one, single post -- NO MATTER whether it has been a good day or a bad day, you will come and write down what happened.

It is easy, of course, to write about the good days. But often, when someone has a bad day, they don't post on that day. They want to "get back on track" before they post again. But as often happens to us, one bad day can turn into several bad days, then a week, then a month and then they disappear (for years -- and I'm talking about ME here, so I speak from experience). Instead of using the site to help halt the slide into constant binging and over eating, people will stay away, right when they need the site the most!

So prepare in your mind for a future bad day (I had one last week) and know that you will NOT disappear, you will NOT give up. You will come here and we will help!

I say this to myself as much as I say it to anyone! I will rely on you when I have a bad day -- and I will be here for you if you have one!

elderflower
10-05-2013, 04:24 PM
Sum38, there are three girls! I like it but it has it's challenges.:)
Sometimes what keeps me from bingeing is the feeling that when I've made the choice not to, I feel really happy with myself. I also try to focus on how I'll feel after the binge, like bloated and sick, and tired from not being able to sleep. I heard someone once say that with a binge you have to stop eating eventually, so why not stop before you actually binge?
One more thing that helps me stop a binge is when I'm feeling like I want to just eat, I do, but I eat something volume heavy and low calorie, like cucumber or raw zucchini. It doesn't have the sugar of fruit that makes me want to eat more, and it's not the kind of thing you want to keep eating when you're not hungry. Soon, eating it becomes not enjoyable anymore and I want to do something else. That's what's been helping me lately, anyway!

ILoveVegetables
10-05-2013, 09:03 PM
It is easy, of course, to write about the good days. But often, when someone has a bad day, they don't post on that day.

You're so right about this, Mrs Snark. Many times when I overeat or binge, I feel bad and avoid posting. Mainly I feel that people here put so much effort into their weight loss and staying on plan, so if they're doing it, why can't I just muster up the willpower to do it myself. I'll try to post every day regardless of whether it was a good or bad day :)

I've been thinking about cutting down my portions further. Like I've mentioned before, I cut my portions almost in half (I don't count calories) and have cut out sodas completely. But I'm just not losing weight. I would ideally like to cut down my dinner portion which is normally a little bigger because I eat with my family and they really like cooking good stuff for dinner. One thing I'm worried about, though, is their reactions. Whenever they notice me taking less food, they ask about it and think I'm trying to starve myself. They mean well, and they are supportive of my weight loss efforts, but they don't know much about what I'm doing so to them, it just looks like I'm trying to eat much less and think it's unhealthy. How do I handle these questions?

nlauah
10-06-2013, 01:34 AM
I did it again today :) Did not binge.. On a weekend with a get together with friends :D I did not binge hooooooray!!!!!

7lbs - Ya it is always great to see the scale move :D

Sum38 - Thanks :D

Mak78
10-06-2013, 02:24 AM
I stayed within my calorie range fir today but I technically still overate because I ate most of my days calories at lunch. I forgot to take a snack with me when I went out mid morning ,and I let myself get to hungry which is a way that I have sabatoged my progress in the past but I know now that is one of the things that needs to change in my pattern so that I can reach my goals. I am proud of myself though because I did not continue to overeat and go over my daily calories so I guess I am counting this as an on plan day!

I was thinking about how I hoped I would have the courage to post even on my worst days and reading Mrs. Snarks words helped me to realize the importance of maintaining my commitment to coming here to give and get support. The truth is it's on my worst days that I need to practice all of the things that I have learned to do to help myself. So I will keep coming back because it is an important part of my over all plan.

tyla
10-06-2013, 12:12 PM
Mak, good for coming back and posting!

Glad to see so many people doing well!

Thanks MrsSnark and 7 lbs. for your great contributions.

Hope everyone has a healthy day! It's all about health. :)

Sum38
10-06-2013, 12:43 PM
I had a fab day. I stayed OP all day. I had light lunch and saved a big bulk of calories (I am a calorie counter) for sushi dinner. YUM!

elderflower
10-06-2013, 01:22 PM
Thanks Mrs. Snark! That was really awesome to read:).
Sometimes it feels depressing on good days because I feel like a downward slide is inevitable, but coming here and checking in on the thread is really helpful. I also think it's interesting that when someone slips up it's easy to be compassionate toward them, yet when we slip up we are so hard on ourselves.

tyla
10-06-2013, 02:28 PM
Sum, that's so fantastic!! :yay:

Nlauah, excellent work!! :bravo:

elderflower
10-06-2013, 03:24 PM
oh no :(. Okay, like two hours after my previous post, I'm back, and with not good news. I didn't exactly binge, but I ate a lot of fruit, two apples, half a persimmon, and a bunch of tiny plums. This isn't bad food, but I'm trying to stay low-carb and now I'm worried it's going to kick me out of that low-carb/fat burning stage. :(.

tyla
10-06-2013, 04:39 PM
Be proud you ate fruit. It sounds like about 300 calories, maybe 400. Stick to your plan now. Why don't you eat normally? (Fruits, veggies, protein and some fiber whole wheat carbs.) Sounds like your body is craving fruits and vegetables. Besides, there is a study from The American Psychological Association that states there is lower depression among people who eat like I said above. Good luck to you! You can do this! It's all up to you! :) By the way, I tried every diet there is, and I find fibrous carbs, proteins, veggies and fruit are the best for me, too! Count cals to get started. I believe in you! :hug:

elderflower
10-06-2013, 05:02 PM
Be proud you ate fruit. It sounds like about 300 calories, maybe 400. Stick to your plan now. Why don't you eat normally? (Fruits, veggies, protein and some fiber whole wheat carbs.) Sounds like your body is craving fruits and vegetables. Besides, there is a study from The American Psychological Association that states there is lower depression among people who eat like I said above. Good luck to you! You can do this! It's all up to you! :) By the way, I tried every diet there is, and I find fibrous carbs, proteins, veggies and fruit are the best for me, too! Count cals to get started. I believe in you! :hug:

THANK YOU tyla!!! Seriously, I was sitting here feeling sad and lonely and depressed and I read your post and it really made me feel so much better. You're giving me strength! Thank you :D

mainecyn
10-06-2013, 06:44 PM
this thread seems to have been made with me in mind. I am a binge eater, not just over eat a few cookies here and there, but a confirmed "medically" binge eater. I am just now trying to stop a binge that has gone on for a month, I have gained 20 lbs. I do well for a while and then fall into a binge cycle that will have me binge every day or every other day. I have eaten all day, gone to the multipule MCdonalds here in town, ordered from each drive thru, eaten two or three shakes, fries, boxes of cookies, 5 packs of reeses peanut butter cups, the list goes on..thats just from today. I can binge on any food, if I have to I will binge on healthy food. I eat and eat, there is no full. I have tried medications in the past but have not had any success. I was put on a diet med a couple months ago Phentermine and I managed to gain weight while I was on it, eating and eating. I have lost almost 100 pounds the past couple years and the scale keeps creeping up and up. I need to get this under control, it is ruining my health physically and emotionally.

I have picked up the 17 day diet book and am planning on starting it Monday. I have to get back in line. I feel there are two of me, the one that everyone sees, and the one that hides in my car, hides in the bathroom, the bedroom, anywhere, and eats till a normal person would vomit. I have never been a binge and purge person, just binge. I can't seem to find anyone that totally understands that I can eat enough food for 5 people during a binge, within an hour or so. I binge and then return to my family, an unsuspecting husband, and kids, that all think I am always in control and a healthy eater, I would die of embarrassment if they actually saw the amount of food I put away.

Mrs Snark
10-06-2013, 07:03 PM
Mainecyn - You found the people who understand.

I have done exactly the same thing you describe, eating in secrecy, hiding in odd places while I eat, hiding food in my car or in my closet, eating enough for a whole family, etc. It is a really hard cycle to break (as you know), and even when we've successfully lost weight and seem like we know exactly what we are doing, we can still fall right back into that cycle.

Deep breaths. You CAN do this, no matter how bad it has been last month, yesterday, today. You CAN break it, believe that you CAN. At first it may feel like you are clinging to the top of a mountain by your fingertips every minute or every day, but you can break the cycle again and get back into a healthy pattern.

Sending you hugs, sending you strength, sending you peace.

tyla
10-06-2013, 07:14 PM
Elderflower, Thank you for responding. I'm so glad I could help you. I really want you to succeed, and it takes one step at a time. Please come here and post anytime that you want. We all have the same problems. We're here to help each other get strong. :hug: We also want to hear about your progress, too,: and I know you will have progress. :hug:

mainecyn, I agree with everything Mrs.Snark said. We're all feel like we've lived a double life. But that's no good. It really does a number on us physically and emotionally. It's in us to change. And we can. I'm wishing you the best! Take it one minute at a time. Do whatever you can to break the cycle. It can be done! Please post more and tell us how you are doing. :hug:

mainecyn
10-06-2013, 08:09 PM
I just had to say thank you. Thank you for the support, the kind words, for "getting" it and truly understanding the complexity of binging. I put it all out there and shared things Id never tell a soul that knows me in the real world, no one here understands, its an addiction, truly is, Ive fought it all my life with varying degrees of success and failure. My husband has no food issues, or eating issues, always comments on my strength of losing all that weight and having will power, cause as he says we all know losing weight is just eating less and exercising more. When we dated I was at my heaviest, 248 pounds. When we married 5 years ago I was desparetly trying to drop weight and lost about 20 lbs. I got down to my lowest 155 a few years after that. Ive kept most of it off and thought I had completely broken my binge eating.

Then something happened a couple years ago, don't know what it was except I slowly allowed certain foods in or cheat days. Since then the past two years have felt like being dragged face first behind a truck..something as simple as stopping the behavior I know I Hate should be as simple as stop putting food in my face, it just isn't. I feel so dirty, ashamed, and defeated ea h time I binge. The sad thing is I dream of my next binge when I'm in that mode. I am eating and eating and think about what else is in the house, what I can eat so no one notices, or what I can go get next. Its an affiar, a cheat, a lie. Everything I would never do in any other part of my life.

Yesterday I picked up candy bars while shopping with my husband, he went to go get something so while in check out I grabbed a dozen quickly and hid them in the front of our groceries, watching them get scanned and eyeing that bag as we checked out watching and putting the candy in front of our line so he wouldn't see. I tried fishing the candy bars outta the bag without being seen as we loaded groceries bit couldn't. I tried grabbing the bag to bring in the house, couldn't he sent me to unlock the door as he carried it all in. I started taking care of groceries and kept telling my husband I could take care of the rest go relax, he wouldn't leave. He found the bag of candy before I got to it and told me, aw thank you, I didn't see you grab these, that was thoughtful of you they are all my favorites. I just mumbled, well I know how much you like having one for dessert with your lunch at work, or when your in the tub. My husband told me, your so sweet and thoughtful, these will last me a week or so. Off he went with my stash and I stood there red faced, thinking of those peanut butter cups that suddendly were beyond my reach. I obsessed on them until I could sneak out today and get a bag full.

I have a fridge full of healthy food that we bought yesterday, instead of eating any of it today I have eaten garbage all day in huge amounts telling myself I will eat right tomorrow that this weekend was the last binge and I will start Monday off sticking to a diet and drop the twenty plus pounds ive gained and hopefully more.

MeganTheMushroom
10-06-2013, 09:33 PM
Oh my goodness, I have been awful
I thought being binge free would be easy once school started and I had work to keep me busy, and that being poor and only going grocery shopping once a week would keep me from eating all my food in one sitting, but nope
Here I am, just ate two burnt peanut butter cookies that I took out of the trash after throwing them out because they were burnt and I didn't want to eat them all :(
I keep saying I will stop, but I keep putting it off.

So tomorrow is Day 1, I'm going to keep coming back here and try my hardest not to give in to food.

Tomorrow will be a long day, busy from 7 to 4, and then homework of course.
I want to be an intuitive eater so badly. I'm sick of living this way- stuffing my face with food that I don't even want as soon as my housemates are all out of the door

mainecyn
10-06-2013, 10:43 PM
I have done the same thing, in fact did it today. I have thrown things out so wouldn't eat them, only to change my mind. Tonight it was a huge hunk of shepards bread I put aside to feed to the birds. I was going to throw it away, walked to the trash and just couldn't. Then I decided id just go ahead and eat it. Ive also eaten burned cookies, etc. I have noticed in the books ive read that all binge eaters seem to do it in private, we all wait for someone to leave so we can eat..your reaction of eating as soon as your roomatew leave is comman behavior. I wish I had words of advice, but I do not. It hasn't even been three hours since my last binge, that's why I searched out this board. Just like I was told from my first post earlier tonight, your not alone and please don't beat yourself up and make yourself feel worse. I'm telling myself it all starts over tomorrow. Will be thinking of you.

Like you the day time is easy for me not to over eat but starting at 5 when I get home from work, and weekends, it is uncontrollable

tyla
10-07-2013, 12:28 AM
Megan, welcome! I'm so happy you're joining us! And I'm so happy to hear that tomorrow is day 1. Best of luck to you!! Report tomorrow and tell us how your day went. We're all in this together. :)

mainecyn, I hope tomorrow is your day 1, too. Just to let you know, sugar is addictive. It makes you crave more sugar and then want to eat more carbohydrates. They've done studies on rats, who never had sugar before. Once they had it, they wanted more and more. That's what's going on with you right now. You've got to stop this vicious cycle. Start eating a healthy breakfast, lunch and dinner. No sugar right now. You can have it later, but beware it will cause you to overeat. We're all working at stopping this idiotic behavior. I know you can, too. We're all rooting for you! :cheer3: Please post how you did. :) Eating normally feels so much better than overeating and hiding. I hate that anxious feeling. I really want you to succeed. :cheer3:

I'm feeling so much better today. But had to be careful, because it's easy to overindulge on weekends. I'm so proud of myself for counting every morsel, and I got through it. Hope everyone has a good night. :)

thesame7lbs
10-07-2013, 01:52 AM
Ugh. I made it almost 6 weeks and today I binged. Several triggers came together: scale going up despite being on plan, saw a terrible picture of myself, a few other personal issues, and bam!

BUT -- I am here to say I will be right back on plan tomorrow. While I am tempted to restrict to compensate, I know that is not the solution. I will plan a day of clean, delicious food and stick to it like glue. I can do it. I WILL do it.

I am scared to death to weigh myself tomorrow. I am so dependent on that number.

Mak78
10-07-2013, 03:06 AM
Day #4 with sticking to a calorie range/food plan went well. I made some substitutions to parts of my meals but I made sure they were equal in calories to what was on my plan ,so it all worked out! I felt really good about that because in the past I have judged myself so harshly if I did not stick to my food plans exactly. I know now that type of thinking and beating myself up never helped. It's still one meal at a time right now. The day didn't seem to be moving in slow motion today , so hopefully that means with everyday that passes I am getting closer and closer to making my food plan an actual healthy habit that feels more natural! I hope everyone who came to join the thread today really takes to heart that they are not alone.

Mrs Snark
10-07-2013, 09:09 AM
Happy Monday everyone, let's all have a healthy day! We can do it!

7lbs -- <<<hugs>>> Don't let the scale make you feel bad, after a binge it is such a temporary, transient number that it is practically meaningless. Six weeks binge-free is such an accomplishment, you will get yourself right back into the swing of things. I'm sorry you had such a rough day, but I know you can put it behind you and just keep moving forward as you have been! You will do great with your plan!

Megan - I have learned to put soap on anything I'm throwing out in the trash for that very reason. Hang in there, I hope today will be a great day 1 for you, you can do it!

Mak78 - Great job! We are our own worse critics, aren't we. It sounds like you handled the food subs perfectly, you should be proud!

mainecyn
10-07-2013, 09:25 AM
Wow, 7lbs you made 6 full weeks binge free, what an amazing accomplishment. You should focus on the fact that you made it 6 weeks, not focus on one day. I know from experience it is so hard to recognize the accomplishments we do make and only focus on what we view as failures. Try to think back on what you did during those six week to make it that far, you had to get stronger every day and faced some difficulties on the way emotionally and physically. Its always an issue that sets the binge off, always something that drains away our self esteem or makes us Hate yourself for a moment, that's what breaks us. But, you sound like you haven't fell into a major binge that lasts for days, you've picked yourself up and are determined to keep going. Id advise not to step on that scale, yet after binging for days the first thing I did was step on the scale this morning to see how I should see myself and feel about myself. I am thinking of you.

tyla
10-07-2013, 10:52 AM
7lbs, :hug:

I have a very busy day today. Hope everyone has a great day.

Let's stay strong together.

ggbsy
10-07-2013, 11:26 AM
musiclover, that is what this is all about, making the necessary mind-switch, we have absolute power over what we put in our mouths. ;) It is ALL A MIND GAME! Of course, getting to that stage is the tricky part, but once we do we have half the battle fought.

mainecyn, :hug:
I am so sorry to listen to your story. I had a boyfriend some 15 years ago who controlled my eating and called me fat. It was abusive but that's beside the point. Thing is, he would go through my stuff and take away by stash nearly once a week. I was young so I had an allowance, once it was gone I had no more money for binge food, and I would steal. I am so ashamed of all the food I stole when I was young. It is a cheat like you say, we would do anything for our addiction. Because it IS an addiction. Junk food will make you suffer and crave and even steal for more.

As for myself- I am so happy to say I have 11 binge-free, over-eating-free days. I have used the 4 yr. old Dr. Phil quote: Every time my junkie-monkey jumps, I say to myself "what are you 4? You CAN SAY NO". And I do say no.
:carrot:

Sum38
10-07-2013, 01:43 PM
You guys are awesome! The amount of support is amazing! :love:

Today is my 11th day over eating free.

tyla
10-07-2013, 01:43 PM
Musiclover,ggbsy and Sum, thank you for doing so well! 7lbs. you've been so great for so long, I know that you will get right back up. Don't let a blip discourage you. We are all in this together.

I posted this on another site, and I thought it might help some with motivation. Please stay strong today.

You have to have a small goal each day, week or month. For example, I'm eating out with my girlfriends tomorrow. I decided last week that I was going to count every morsel before I went out to lunch with them. My goal for December is to show the idiot nurse at the Dr's office that my weight went down from a few months ago (since she made a nasty comment). I am making a goal of sticking to it until my next Zumba class next week. Little goals that will motivate you. You have to make a game out of it. Get busy. Distract yourself. Go out. Did you buy yourself Yellow flowers? Give yourself a reward when you made it through the day. Say nice things to yourself. You're are already ahead in the game, because at least you are trying to do what's right! Give yourself stars after each half hour of not having what you craved. Take a fun class that you like. Get on the computer and learn more about health when you want to eat. Just coming here and asking for help was fantastic! Find out, "What's really going on?" when you crave food. It's really something else. Maybe it's emotional, financial, anger, sadness, being bored, being alone, maybe you need more vitamin B, maybe you need more endorphins or serotonin. Sugar makes you crave more food. Remember, this is a habit and can lead to an addiction. It takes time to get over it. Very few people get that aha moment. It's all up to you and how bad you want it.

tyla
10-07-2013, 01:50 PM
Here are some tips from another thread from 7lbs. . I appreciate them very much, and they will help us here.

"Have you read The Beck Diet Solution? It's not a diet per se -- it doesn't tell you what to eat or how many calories or how many carbs, etc. It's more about how to think in order to lose weight. There's a lot in there about how to remain motivated in the face of temptation.

For me, one of the most effective things I do is tell myself, "I can't have that now, but I can have it another time." The idea of giving up chocolate forever? Horrible. The fact that I may have to give it up today, or this week, but I will have it again? Acceptable. I count calories, so really nothing is off limits forever, you just have to work it in.

My other advice is to plan your food. For me, when I make a plan (either the night before or first thing in the morning), and log it online (I use My Plate), I am able to "forget" about food for the day. I don't have to make any decisions about whether or not to eat something -- I've already decided and committed. So if something comes up -- like I see vanilla whoopie pies at Whole Foods -- I've already decided I'm not having one today."

Thank you, 7lbs. You've been awesome on this thread! :thanks:

tyla
10-07-2013, 01:56 PM
Here are some tips from Mrs.Snark from another thread. Thank you, Mrs.Snark, you've been awesome! I really appreciate your thoughts.! :thanks:

"If I had waited for actual motivation I still wouldn't have started changing my habits. Motivation comes in fits and starts for me, I can't really rely on it.

For me to "get into the groove" I had to clear my house of all junk and follow a very rigid plan. I knew that I would have more flexibility in the future, when I had established some better habits, but right at the beginning the only thing that kept me from going crazy was a strict plan and no access to junk. And there were some really hard moments where I had my car keys in my hand and the urge to go buy EVERYTHING and EAT IT, so I know I wouldn't have survived those moments if I'd had easy access to junk right at those moments. I even gave my husband my wallet a couple times. It is HARD at first -- seriously, gut-it-out ugly, want to pull out my hair, hard for me.

It did get easier with time, and repetition of good habits. I'm not nearly as rigid as I was in the first couple months, but occasionally I still have to fall back on a very strict plan -- no playing it by ear."

mainecyn
10-07-2013, 04:09 PM
So far, i've made it thru most of my day at work. I am seldom hungry at work and there really are no triggers at work that make me eat. It is always at home. I am at that gut-ugly place that you mentioned, I have taken out food from the house, but it got to the point that I would get in the car and go get it, like this weekend, and drive around while I binged or park in the parking lot like I did at the donut shop as I ate 6 donuts one after another. Its ugly and it is an addiction, i do know that, I've known it for a long time. Hoping I will get to that place I had been before a few years ago where I can just control it, not want it or need it (the binge and release feeling). its a high thats for sure while I am doing it, everything rushes and feels so good, all those happy feelings wash over me and there is nothing else, no wife, no mum, I am just me..then when it is done and over with all the hateful feelings and thoughts bubble to the surface, these are always worse than the reason I binged in the first place. Its a horrible cycle.

elderflower
10-07-2013, 04:22 PM
[QUOTE=mainecyn;4856415]

I obsessed on them until I could sneak out today and get a bag full.

QUOTE]

This resonates so much with me, that obsessing over food and not being able to think about anything else. Believe me, mainecyn, you are far from alone. I think one of the sucky things about binge eating is that because it's so secretive, you don't know that other people are experiencing the same things you are, possibly even people you know.
Like tyla said, we've all been there, and we're all struggling along with you! I gained 50 pounds in 5 months a few years ago. You're definitely not alone, even if it feels like you are. When you're having a hard time, come back and read this thread. I just joined and already I see how supportive people are. Like Mrs. Snark said, it's going to be so so hard, and some moments are going to feel like ****, but once you get past them you'll be so happy and proud of yourself. You can do it. One day, even one hour, at a time.

mainecyn
10-07-2013, 04:41 PM
You're definitely not alone, even if it feels like you are. When you're having a hard time, come back and read this thread.

i have tried finding help or support locally, even spoke to a co-worker today yet she didn't understand it whatsoever. She associated binging with eating a candy bar, or a bite of cake. I tried explaining that its eating the entire cake, then moving on to the ice cream container, the bag of chips, eating so fast you choke, that you have sores in your mouth the next day from forcing it in or not chewing enough..she looked at me puzzled and said why don't those people just stop over eating? I told her binging in just as much an eating disorder as bulimia, yet you don't vomit. She had an ignorant look on her face. Luckily, we were speaking in the general sense. I have not found anyone yet at work that understands it at all so its difficult to open up.

My husband, in his own words, adores me worships me and cherishes me. He has watched me lose and keep off 80 lbs. as far as he is concerned I have no food issues anymore because I am now "thin" compared to the 242 lbs I used to be. I have tried explaining binging to him as well, he doesn't get it either.

So, I looked for a place like this, thankfully I have found it. I have been a member of online over eaters anonymous..it didn't work for me. I need to totally ban some foods and they tried teaching me that no food is off limits.

I wished I loved myself as much as my husband loves me, to see myself thru his eyes for one day would be a gift. I can't begin to count how many times I have said today is the day, I wont let something so little as food control me. I will eat all healthy foods, learn to be happy within myself, my own skin. My binging is a dirty part of me, a shameful, broken piece of me. Binging is a type of mental issue, as much as depression or anything related to it. A chemical imbalance, and addiction, I learned that from the years before when I saw a therapist.

nlauah
10-07-2013, 05:12 PM
wooho.... A weekend without any major binge eating.. This thread is working wonders for me so far :)

Thanks everyone for your support :D

thesame7lbs
10-07-2013, 07:55 PM
Thank you all for your support!

I have had a good day. I am on guard and out of the hole, to borrow from Mrs. Snark. The scale was not kind, but I know it will come down. I went for a good, gentle run this morning and planned my food. It was tempting to restrict, especially since I still felt full when I woke up :( but I know that is not the best thing for me. I will go to bed early tonight since I slept poorly last night.

Congratulations to everyone making progress -- your success is inspiring!

Mak78
10-08-2013, 02:52 AM
Excellent advice from 7lbs! I really liked the idea of telling yourself that you can't have something right now versus never being able to have something.

Day #5 and I went 29 calories over my planned amount of calories for today ,but I don't feel like a failure. I decided if it is less than 30 I won't count it as being an off plan day which I am feeling really good about because I didn't get completely discouraged by the slight overage. I think it will help me to build resiliency for times I need to pick myself back up and get back on plan after an off plan meal or day if I am careful about the perspective I chose take on these small deviations from my food plan.

Mrs. Snark's process of using a very strict food plan initially is proving to be very helpful for me as well. It helps me feel like I am really taking charge of controlling what and how much I eat which is a great feeling! I'm very excited that in just 2 more days I will be able to say I went an entire week without overeating!

Sum38
10-08-2013, 08:09 AM
I fell off the wagon yesterday. My day started out strong, but many upsetting things happened and I turned in to food for comfort. I ate until I felt sick :(

I did not weigh in this morning because I know it would upset me.

Now it remains to be seen if I can cut this cycle, and when?

Wow, it felt good to write that one out. -- Thanks ladies for being here!!!

mainecyn
10-08-2013, 09:28 AM
I made it thru one full day. I hadn't planned on eating after dinner and admit I did but didn't binge I also didn't eat candy or cake or ice cream, things I shouldn't. This thread was on my mind all day

Mrs Snark
10-08-2013, 09:36 AM
Sending you lots of hugs Sum, today is a fresh, beautiful day and you can eat really healthy and be gentle with yourself since you had such a rough day yesterday!

Mak - you are doing great, a whole week is totally within your grasp! Keep up the GREAT work!

nlauah - Congrats on a fabulous weekend, I just know it felt good to wake up Monday morning and not be thinking "I have to start over again" and instead be feeling GREAT about how you took care of yourself over the weekend (and we all know how hard weekends are!).

mainecyn - For me, I have to work hard at not assigning such feelings as "dirty" and "shameful" to myself, those feelings really drag me down (into more binging of course). Oddly, I think of my binge eating disorder the same way as I think of my cancer, both are terrible and can do great damage to my health and my emotional well being. But I'm not ashamed I've had cancer, it isn't dirty, and it doesn't make me a bad, weak person. Same with this eating disorder. It was just my luck of the draw to get a binge disorder, and now I have to learn to manage it -- that is where my responsibility to myself is. To accept I have this terrible thing and then do my best to minimize its impact on my health and happiness.

Does that make sense?

Edited to add: my husband knows I have this problem, so maybe that makes it a bit easier for me in many ways. I mean, I don't share this stuff with just anyone (just ya'll, and mostly anonymously (I hope) on my blog, and my mother and my husband) because many people WILL NOT understand and will simply think it should be EASY for me not to binge eat. But that is on them, they don't understand, and we do. Have you ever thought of tell your husband about your struggles? It helps me that my husband knows about it and loves me anyway, he doesn't think bad of me, nor does my mom.

Mrs Snark
10-08-2013, 09:37 AM
I made it thru one full day. I hadn't planned on eating after dinner and admit I did but didn't binge I also didn't eat candy or cake or ice cream, things I shouldn't. This thread was on my mind all day

GREAT JOB!!! :carrot:

thesame7lbs
10-08-2013, 12:57 PM
Sum38, :hug:. Dust yourself off and start with a clean slate. I found this quote -- maybe from someone on this thread? Maybe in the "inspirational quotes" thread stickied on this board? -- and I love it in so many ways:

"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities have crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense." - emerson

Mainecyn, great job! One day lays your foundation -- now you can build on it!

Mak78, good idea not to sweat a few calories. Calorie-counting is an inexact science as it is, no sense beating yourself up over an insignificant few. You're closing in on a week -- awesome!

Nlauah, way to go on the clean weekend!

Ggbsy, I'm going to start using that Dr. Phil quote. I have an actual 4-year-old in my life -- I don't need to be one as well!

Tyla, I hope teaching went well yesterday!

Mrs Snark, I tried your body-weight circuit on Sunday. Only two go-rounds. I was a little sore yesterday. Today -- OUCH! I'm so glad I learned from your pain and stopped at two -- three would be seriously painful!

I have my challenge cut out for me today. My son woke up in the middle of the night with croup, so I need to stay home with him today. Normally, I try to run errands or take him somewhere fun b/c he doesn't have preschool on Tuesday -- being out and about helps a lot. It's hard to be home all day with the food so accessible.

:wave: to anyone I've missed -- have a great day everyone!

tyla
10-08-2013, 01:55 PM
Good Morning, Everyone!

Today is going to be another great day! Believe that good things will happen, and they will. I'm so proud of everyone here, trying their best to make this a fantastic October!!

My class went ok last night. It was a different group. One person was kinda difficult, interrupting my teachings several times and disagreeing with everyone. Let's face it - it was a challenge, but I got through it. In spite of it all, I've been doing great with my eating and exercising. I need to prove to myself that I can get through challenges. I never knew why I overate before. Now I get it. Rather than fight back with people, I would punish myself by overeating. I can't do that anymore. My health is too important. Oh, by the way, the rest of the students asked me when I'm teaching again, because they learned so much and had a good time.

Sum38, Sorry you had a little blip, but that's all it was. You did a wonderful job in staying strong for many days. Decide what you are going to do instead of eating the next time you are faced with challenges. I have to get away from the food area to a safe place. Either go out for a walk to blow off some steam and get endorphins, or do something nice for yourself. Drive to a store and buy nail polish or flowers (whatever you like.) Or if you're at work, take a break. Go to the bathroom and fix your hair. I have to have alternatives to break the usual habit. Just a suggestion. :) :hug:

Mainecyn, congratulations!! Now you're back, baby!! Keep the streak going. We're rooting for you! :cheer3:

Mak78, almost a week! Way to go! Keep up the great work! I'm so excited for you!! :carrot:

Nlauah, so glad you're sticking to it! Weekends are hard, but you're doing it. We're in this together. :hug: :bravo:

Ggbsy, congrats on doing so well this month. Keep up the great work! :congrat:

Mrs Snark, thank you for your great tips. We're all listening and paying attention. You're an inspiration! :thanks:

7lbs, sorry about your son being sick. My thoughts are with you today. I know you will do well! You're my inspiration, too! :goodluck:

Mrs Snark
10-08-2013, 01:58 PM
Tyla -- what kind of class do you teach (if you don't mind me asking -- if it is too personal a question I'll understand!)

tyla
10-08-2013, 02:05 PM
It's a Psychology class. How to get more joy in your life. Funny how some people really don't want joy at all. They just want to complain and be noticed. When people are difficult with people they don't know, they are really difficult with their families. I feel sorry for them.

My class is for people in transition or just need more information on how to cope. I try to be as positive as I can be, in spite of many adversities in my life. I think that helps me relate to some students.

Many of my students have real hardships in their lives, and still they try to be joyful. I pray God blesses these poor souls.

nlauah
10-08-2013, 02:15 PM
Thanks Mrs. Snark, Tyla and 7lbs for the encouragement and motivation you guys have been providing... Helps me a ton!

Here is something I would like to ask though not related to binging and get your opionions as well (posted in a different thread also)

I am not sure where I should be asking this but I thought it would be gud to put this here.... Below is the change in my scales from Oct 3rd:

3. -1.6
4. no change
5. -1.5
6. -0.7
7. +1
8. +0.8

I have stayed on plan all the days.. I am not sure of the fluctuation.. I felt so bad that despite trying so much I have moved in the wrong direction.. :?: Also my TOM is not until around the 18th..

Can someone please help me understand this... :cry: I havent updated my tracker because I am not sure if it is temporary or permanent..... (On second thought I did change it though :?:)

I feel so demotivated when this happens.. that too 2 days in a row :( Also I am finding it difficult to move to the lower 180s I have been hovering around the higher 180s for a while now :(

Am I missing something??? I am confused :(

tyla
10-08-2013, 02:24 PM
Don't let that scale demotivate you. There is so much fluctuation in our bodies for all kinds of reasons. You stated TOM. That's one. Then if you go out to eat at a restaurant, that's two. There's so much salt added in, you just naturally go up. Your weight will go up if you eat any kind of salty food. I had Chinese food on Friday, and my weight went up 3 lbs., and I was perfect all week. Diet sodas contain a lot of sodium. Medication can make you gain weight. Getting angry can do it, because of the cortisol. Not sleeping well can make you gain. This list goes on and on. This morning I dropped 1 1/2 lbs. from Friday night's food. Hang in there! If you've been good, eventually it will come off.

luzitania
10-08-2013, 02:25 PM
nlauah, personally, I have found that weighting myself everyday would drive me insane. What I do instead is weight myself once a week in the morning (empty stomach!!!) and always weight on the same day (so every Saturday or every Monday. Whatever works best for you). Because there are up and downs day after day and weighting yourself once a week will even out those numbers. Otherwise you will drive yourself insane.

mainecyn, I know how you feel. My sister tells me I am pretty but I just can't believe her. I wished I could see myself like that too and I know I won't unless I start accepting myself or lose the weight and reach a number that I feel comfortable in (basically a number where I can wear fabulous pants and not have too much of a muffin top :carrot:). I don't think binge eating is a disease. It's a bad eating habit and usually hides a bigger problem. I know mine is loneliness. I just moved and instead of dealing with the stress of getting used to a new city and rebuilding a network, I turned to food. I am not proud of this and I am dealing with this but it started this way and now it became a really bad eating habit such that I am so addicted to sugar, I have issues giving it up. I am working on it though. :D Take it one day at the time and forgive yourself for every binge eating episodes in the past. :hug: Your binge eating is not shameful. We are only human.

mainecyn
10-08-2013, 03:30 PM
I don't have much to report except that I'm half way thru my day and doing well. I remind myself I made it thru the night last night. While I ate, I didn't binge, so that's an accomplishment. I have thought of nothing else all day, making it one day and praying I make it thru the next. I have thought of this thread all day as well.

We all focus on the negative, feel the worst about ourselves. There have been positive changes in my life, the addition of my husband and the constant reminder from him that I am more than I think I am, helps at times to argue with that voice in my head that says you are ugly, worthless, etc..that every time I am in a store that people are staring at me, looking at me, judging me.

My goal is to be able to eat normally, no more binge episodes, to feel strong and healthy mentally and physically as my binging has effected my health, stomach and digestion aren't the greatest. I also have the added stress daily.

Physically, I would love to get to where I don't have a muffin top either, thats been my goal for years.

nlauah
10-08-2013, 03:42 PM
Thanks Tyla and Luzitania for your replies... Yeah I did eat outside over the weekend though I made healthy choices (stayed within my calorie budget) it may have had quite some sodium... Also Last 2-3 days my sleep has been less and very disturbed which well could be a reason....

I will try and have a official weigh in day (may be Friday) so that I will compare over to the same day of the previous week and see how I do :D

Posting here has always helped me :D

tyla
10-08-2013, 03:49 PM
mainecyn and nlauah,, I'm so happy you guys are sticking to your plan! You guys rock!! :woohoo:

mainecyn
10-08-2013, 04:22 PM
mainecyn and nlauah,, I'm so happy you guys are sticking to your plan! You guys rock!! :woohoo:

thank you tyla:hug:

thesame7lbs
10-08-2013, 04:22 PM
Below is the change in my scales from Oct 3rd:

3. -1.6
4. no change
5. -1.5
6. -0.7
7. +1
8. +0.8

Just to make sure I'm understanding, picking a hypothetical starting number of 190 on October 2, you went 188.4, no change, 186.9, 186.2, 187.2, 188? So over the course of those 5 days, down a net of 2 lbs?

Those are totally normal fluctuations. If you think about it, it's pretty impossible to lose 1.6 lbs of fat in a day, and 1.5 lbs of fat a couple days later. Some is that is fat, some is fluid. Some days you retain less fluid, some days more. Regarding TOM, while we normally associate bloating with the few days right before our periods start, I've noticed that my weight goes up right around ovulation as well.

One thing I've never understood about weighing once a week -- if your weight is up, how do you know it's not one of those random high days? Then you have to wait a whole week to find out! That would drive me crazier than daily fluctuations! I think. ;)

Mrs Snark
10-08-2013, 04:37 PM
One thing I've never understood about weighing once a week -- if your weight is up, how do you know it's not one of those random high days? Then you have to wait a whole week to find out! That would drive me crazier than daily fluctuations! I think. ;)

Everything to do with the scale will make us crazy -- pick your crazy. :dizzy:

Also, glad to hear you didn't cripple yourself on the first try with the strength routine -- well done you! I did habituate to the routine pretty quickly. What did you think of it? I was thinking it needs some crunches (even though I know planks are ab/core as well).

nlauah
10-08-2013, 05:29 PM
7lbs - Yes your understanding is right... And I understand what you are trying to suggest.. I have to put more thought to that...

And thanks tyla

mainecyn
10-08-2013, 08:32 PM
Everything to do with the scale will make us crazy -- pick your crazy.

When I was losing weight several years ago i know I stepped on that scale everyday, several times a day. The scale dictated everything I did and how I felt about myself. I learned to put the scale away when I had a lot of weight to drop and used my clothes etc as a guide. Eventually, I began weighing myself each week. Scales are all different, I know I use the ones at home and it says something, the ones at the dr's office the same day said something else, and the scales at work also read differently. It drives you insane. I try to only stick to what one scale says, one time a week, at a certain time, and use that as a guide.

tyla
10-08-2013, 10:02 PM
They have a scale at work? lol Stick with it, Mainecyn, I'm rooting for you!! :cheer3:

Well, I just got back from Zumba class, the class I wait for all week. And I worked out so hard, that I started to see white. I had 15 minutes to go, and I couldn't see the instructor anymore. I was still dancing like a nut, however. I told myself to leave or I would faint. (I'm stubborn with myself sometimes.) So thank God I left, and was able to drive home. I did make my mini goal of not overeating until my Zumba class! And even though I don't show a tremendous weight loss, I look so much better in the mirror than last week. My minigoal today is to not overeat to Tuesday, my next Zumba class. :)

mainecyn
10-08-2013, 10:40 PM
They have a scale at work? lol Stick with it, Mainecyn, I'm rooting for you!s. :)

We do have a scale, a very high end scale. A couple years ago our department started a fitness challenge, we signed up to exercise, eat better, lose weight...so each week we weighed in and we would run each challenge for three months or so. We each paid a fee in the beginning to join, the winners at the end would win cash prizes and the rest of the money was donated to charity.

The winners were number of pounds lost and percentage lost as well, I won losing 16 pounds that was when I was exercising regularly, walking the walking trail behind work every day etc. That was when I was in the zone, eating clean etc. I didn't sign up for the challenge this time, but I still use the scale at work.

MeganTheMushroom
10-08-2013, 11:38 PM
Today was Day 2. I ate maybe a little too much chocolate, but not binge level. I'm kind of hungry, but I already brushed my teeth and am ready for bed. These past couple of days have gone well, and tomorrow will be another busy day. I hope I can keep this up.

tyla
10-09-2013, 12:17 AM
Megan, I'm so happy for you! You go, girl! Yes, you will keep this up tomorrow, because we are all rooting for you. Seriously! :cheer2:

Mainecyn, congrats on winning the first time around. What an accomplishment! :bravo:

Going to bed now. :wave:

mainecyn
10-09-2013, 09:32 AM
Just checking in before work reading everyones accomplishments to get myself jazzed for the day. I didn't binge but I did end up eating before bed, nuts and sf pudding but considering what it could be its a win.

Mrs Snark
10-09-2013, 10:24 AM
Good morning ladies, everyone is doing so well! YAY!

I am preparing to leave at 4 am tomorrow for a week in Maine. I'm hoping that I'll be able to check in via my phone, but I may be on the quiet side until I get back, but I'll be thinking of how well everyone is doing and using that as inspiration for me to stay on plan while there!

My husband and I have generally in the past had terrible food habits while on vacation -- food is always a major highlight of every trip (Italy was a real doozy, let me tell ya!) -- so for me it is going to be hard to make good, healthy choices meal after meal in the face of his... food exuberance. Eating out is harder than eating at home, I swear when I open a menu my eyes go directly to french fries and do not pass GO and do not collect $100.

My challenge to myself for this vacation is two parts: 1: ORDER SALADS, period, no debate, decision made, every time we go to a restaurant you ARE ordering a salad Mrs. Snark, and that's that.

And 2: don't whine, complain, kvetch, and otherwise suck the joy out of the meal for my husband while I'm eating said salad. This is my choice, and if I'm not smiling on the inside I *WILL* fake it and smile on the outside for his sake.

One minute I think I'm *totally* up for the challenge of doing this, the next minute my resolve feels a little more shaky.

tyla
10-09-2013, 11:21 AM
Good Morning, Everyone!

Today is another great day! We are so lucky to be alive! We're all going to do well today. We're here to take care of our bodies, and do great things. My meal plan is set for the day, I'm going to exercise and I will do something nice for myself. How about you?

I'm so proud of all of you for trying so hard. And I am trying hard, too. We can do this together! :)

Mrs.Snark, I have faith in you that you will continue to do well on vacation. I love your plan of eating salads and smiling. We're all going to be thinking of you, and will be anxiously waiting for the good news that your vacation was not a problem with food. Remember, you're one of our top role models! We need this to go well, too. :) :hug: :hug:

For me, it's been a month and almost 2 weeks of perseverance. We can do this together. :)

Mak78
10-09-2013, 11:38 AM
Good morning all!

I woke up feeling strong and in control this morning! I am entering my 7th day today and am feeling super proud of myself for making it this far! I haven't had a week of being in control of how much or what I ate since last year!! I fell asleep last night before I posted which was a very pleasant surprise for me because usually I feel so overwhlemed with cravings and the whole mental struggle of trying not eat that I am up half the night tossing and turning. Not this time! I use my tools to comfort myself and control my thoughts! I also remind myself that feelings and cravings will rise and fall I just need to stay calm.

I really would like to thank everyone that has encouraged me over the past week. It has helped me tremendously! And to everyone that has posted on this thread thanks for sharing your story and struggles it has helped me to feel less alone in my battle with my food issue.

tyla
10-09-2013, 10:09 PM
MAK, Congratulations on making it to day 7! That's a big deal! I'm so glad you've joined this thread. We're going to make things happen together! :hug:

I did well today. My calories totaled about 1400. The weather is changing, and so are the foods for colder weather. Thank God I love oatmeal, because I seem to like that for breakfast and lunch sometimes.

Let's keep working at this. Tomorrow is the 10th of the month, and we're doing great! :carrot:

Mak78
10-10-2013, 01:58 AM
I am happy to report that I have made it through my 7th day following a very strict food plan without any overeating!I had a few temptations today but they were not overwhelming.

I am going to have lunch with a friend and dinner with my husband at a restaurant over the weekend. I am a bit nervous about how it will go and not sure about how exactly to plan for it. I would appreciate any advice on strategies for eating out and staying on plan. I was thinking I might try having a snack before I go and ordering salads.

thesame7lbs
10-10-2013, 02:00 AM
It is wonderful to see everyone doing so well! :broc:

I had a really good day today. Yesterday I felt so hungry all day, I was really white-knuckling it. Today was totally different. I felt just plain good, maybe because I had a better night's sleep, who knows? Strangely though, I am grinding my teeth like mad. It's a bad habit of mine, but I can remember only one other terribly stressful time in my life when it was this bad, so that my whole jaw ached. I really don't consciously feel *that* stressed out right now. Maybe I should try some yoga or meditating. I had a great run today but that didn't help.

Mrs Snark, I loved the body-weight circuit. I did it again yesterday, three times through. Re: crunches, funny you mention it -- I don't do jumping jacks due to a couple injuries, so I did standing crunches instead. I'm going away this weekend and I'll have to rope my traveling companions into doing a body-weight workout in the hotel room. :) Best of luck on your trip -- we will be rooting for you!

And Tyla, thank you for starting this thread and for being such a wonderful source of positive energy and encouragement!

thesame7lbs
10-10-2013, 02:02 AM
Mak78, our posts came at the same time. For eating out, I always like to look up the menu online, just to get an idea of what they're offering. I love seafood and that is often a healthful choice. I try to eat lightly for the other meals of the day but not so much that I arrive at the restaurant absolutely starving and ready to inhale the bread basket. Just lighter choices for the other meals and maybe skip snack. HTH and hope all goes well -- you can do it!

tyla
10-10-2013, 12:59 PM
Yay for Mak! Day 8! Keep going. You can do it. Like 7 lbs. does, I also check menus of the restaurant online. It gives me an idea of what to get beforehand, when I'm not so hungry. I can check for calories under Google, too. I like to go in feeling pretty secure. If nothing else, I just eat half. (I like to take the rest home for dinner, if I'm eating lunch.) It's always a good idea to leave a morsel or so on your plate to show yourself that you have control.

tyla
10-10-2013, 01:32 PM
Hi 7lbs! So glad you're feeling better than yesterday. About the grinding, is something coming up or some kind of event that is bothering you? Usually, when we're anxious, we're thinking about future events. Just a thought. In any event, I'm so glad you are here. I appreciate all of your words of wisdom.

Also, thank you for your kind words. I really needed to hear them today, and they are truly appreciated! :hug:

As for me, I am truly working at this, too, but not seeing a weight loss since last week. I am, however, wearing a smaller pairs of pants. I'm so excited about Autumn. I started putting Halloween decorations up around the house last night. I'm trying to make it look homier and warmer. Even had classical music playing when my hubby came home from work. Tonight I'll light the fire in the fireplace. :flame: :witch:

ggbsy
10-10-2013, 04:17 PM
Ok so I discovered a trigger yesterday. My trigger is: I have to control my activities and energy, if life happens and gets in the way and changes my environment and/or routine, that causes enough stress to trigger binge-desires.

I had a mini tiny miniature binge yesterday, what describes it as such is the need to numb my feelings and medicate myself, also the speed of my eating. But in terms of quantity of food, very very tiny binge.

Anyway, what happened was, life kept throwing curves and emotions my way. First I could not get out of work at my regular time, I had to stay to entertain this negative person, which of course means my routine is shot. I couldn't eat at my time, so I ate an hour later and less than my usual meal. I eat the same thing each and every single day, by the way, I need it like that. Anyhow, then I had an anniversary party, and of course I couldn't eat my regular dinner, I ate something else before the party and had nothing to eat during the party. Also, my emotions go crazy when around people. Finally, I found out my uncle passed, and that of course changed everything again.

By the time I got home I was so tired and I actually could not remember why I was supposed to be binge-free. Of course I knew I was doing it, but I couldn't remember why or its importance. Completely forgot even my mantras. So I "kinda" binged.

Today with my stomach hurting I completely remember why I am on this binge-free path, but I also have very clear how I forgot last night. It was just too much, too much stress and changes in routine, that made me nervous enough to want to binge.

Lastly I want to say that I had managed to be binge-free for some days reminding myself that I am not a 4 year old and that I can say no. Last night I didn't remember at all, not even that I had that phrase. I think the phrase works when the binge is crave-induced, when my body is addicted to the sugar and the rush and jumps at the sight of candy. But when the binge or trigger is emotionally induced, it doesn't work that well. Obviously. :dizzy:

Anyway thanks for listening.

mainecyn
10-10-2013, 04:43 PM
GGBYS, I am sorry you had such a horrible day yesterday. You sound just like I do. It seems like you were doing well and would continue to do well if it hadn't been for so many triggers yesterday..But, keep in mind you didn't have what you call a full blown binge. Be proud of yourself.

My day, yesterday, was much of the same..I did great at work, and during lunch, then came home and started eating, it wasn't anything majorly bad, but I snacked on several things so I decided to skip dinner to make up for all the extra calories :devil: I didn't eat sugar, flour etc, but I didn't do what I planned on doing, I ate more than I planned. I had a long day at work and running errands on my break, and the added stresser of my Mum being in the hospital. It never seems to be just one event that would set me over the edge, its always a combination of things like my own personal "perfect storm".

I hope we all have a good day today. I keep trying, all I can do. I stepped on the scale this morning and it hadn't moved up, OR DOWN. But, not gaining is something.:dizzy:

tyla
10-10-2013, 05:56 PM
I'm so sorry that you have both undergone a series of stresses. I know what you're talking about, because I too, feel like I'm hanging by a thread. But I keep reminding myself, that I just can't afford to blow it right now. I've gained 10 lbs. from last year, and I just can't seem to lose it. (That's all because I allowed myself to have binges, and couldn't stop.) Each time was harder than the next to get back to normal eating. I feel so bad for letting this happen to my body and mind. I mean truly sad about it. And I feel pathetic. Can't fit into my clothes, and I'm not going to buy new ones. Plus I think everyone is looking at me and commenting to themselves. And now that I finally have my eating under control, I desperately want to keep it in check. And believe me, it's hard.

gg and cyn, It's a new time for a fresh start. Make this happen this very minute. Come, let's get going together. It feels so much better when we do the right thing. I'm sending us all good wishes to keep going. We can still turn things around in this great month of October. Lots of hugs to both of you. We're in this together. :hug: :hug: :hug: :dust:

tyla
10-10-2013, 10:10 PM
I'm proud to say, that even though this was a tough day, I made it through another tough one. Woo Hoo! :woohoo: And now the kitchen is closed. So, that makes 40 days down and on to day 41! :yay:

Have a great night, everyone. Tomorrow is Friday! TGIF!

Mak78
10-11-2013, 03:32 AM
I ate out today and it wasn't what I intended to do for dinner ,but with a little last minute preplanning in the car before I got to the restaurant I was able to get through it without going over my calories! This is such a big accomplishment for me!

Now it's the start of my 2nd week , and I am feeling really good about having made it through the first week. I am hopeful that in the next few weeks I will be able to start to notice some weightloss and feel more comfortable in my clothes!

Thanks 7lbs and tyla for your suggestions! They were very helpful. :)

MeganTheMushroom
10-11-2013, 09:26 AM
Mak78- those times are my favorites- when I indulge healthily and don't go crazy, and can feel good about it :)
I hope I can feel that way a lot with my parents visiting me this weekend

Yesterday didn't go so well. I had breakfast up at the dining hall, and when I got home after a few hours of dishwashing for some money, I just ate peanut butter crackers and jelly until the jar ran out (it was mostly empty, thanfully), then, despite not being hungry at all, two giant bowls of chili with bread (made me feel so sick it was such a heavy and large meal). I didn't eat for several hours, and had a healthy snack of cucumber slices and hummus. Then I made a pumpkin pie... which could have been much worse. I wasn't awful with that pie.
I'm disappointed that I binged, but I'm happy it was a mild binge.
I also got my period today, so that could explain why I wanted the extra food.

Today is Day 1 once again though. I had a piece of pie for breakfast, and stopped at that :)

ggbsy
10-11-2013, 11:31 AM
Wow tyla that is amazing!!! 40 days!!! That is a record!!! Congrats, veeery good work!!!

mainecyn, yes, we sound very much alike. Personal perfect storm is the very precise and accurate way of describing it.

As for me I am doing great. I obviously had physical cravings yesterday, but managed to handle them. Aside from a stomach ache, I am perfect!

ggbsy
10-11-2013, 11:33 AM
Mak that is amazing, good for you, I wish I could do that!!!

Megan I go so crazy during my period too!!! Quite normal I guess.

Happy friday!!!

ILoveVegetables
10-11-2013, 12:57 PM
Managed to avoid a binge today, mainly because I skipped breakfast so my afternoon snack didn't make my calories skyrocket. I've started getting too hungry at around 4 or 5 pm. I need to figure out how to stop that.

tyla
10-11-2013, 01:50 PM
TGIF!! I'm so happy the weekend is here. I'm feeling strong today, and I will exercise right after I post this. I'm so proud this is day 41! :carrot: I had oatmeal, banana and carrots for breakfast and will have oatmeal, almonds and yogurt for lunch. And tonight going to have steak with veggies! That should be around 1400 cals. I hope everyone has a great weekend! :cool:

Mak, I'm so happy for you! You're now into your second week!! :D Plus you did well at the restaurant last night. :carrot: You're on a roll now! I'm rooting for you to have the best weekend, too! :cheer3:

Megan, believe that you will eat right when your parents are here, and you will! I'm sending you good thoughts and wishes. Congrats on doing so well this morning. Keep up the great work! :dust:

gg, congrats on handling your cravings yesterday. That is a huge deal. Greeeaat job!! :bravo: Thank you for your compliment, too. And thanks for your words of encouragement to all of us. They are truly appreciated. :thanks:

ILoveVegetables, congrats on avoiding a binge. As we all know, it is easy! So, excellent work! As far as 3 or 4 pm, I've been eating 15 cut, baby carrots - only 35 calories. It takes a lot of chewing, and seems to stop my hunger pangs. Good luck to you! :congrat: :goodluck:

Mak78
10-12-2013, 02:25 AM
Thanks tyla and ggbsy! Day#9 has been an amazing day! I had a pre employment physical today ,and knew that they would be asking me to step on the scale. In the past I have felt so awful about myself and really ashamed everytime I had to be weighed in public, so rather I was up or down in weight it was always like a traumatic experience. Today I decided that I wasn't going to go through that any more! I told myself that I am more than my food issues and no matter what the scale says I have a lot to be proud of which is a big shift in perspective for me. I was all set to just accept whatever the number was and not let it discourage me if I had not lost any weight at all, I mean after all it has only been a week. I am not sure how but according to the scale I was on today I have lost 7lbs over the past week! I was really proud of myself for losing the weight and for embracing a healthier philosophy about the getting weighed and the scale in general. I also went to dinner with my husband tonight and planned my meal before going , so I knew exactly what I was getting and that it was within my calorie range. It took some real effort but I stayed within my calorie range and didn't get out of control. I left the restaurant feeling really good about myself instead completely stuffed and feeling sick. It was another real monumental accomplishment for me!

I hope I can stay strong over the weekend. I hope we all can.

mainecyn
10-12-2013, 08:10 PM
Would have checked in sooner if i hadn't had my face buried in a bag of chips and been too busy slurping a McDonald's Frappe, add two packages of Reese's Big Cup peanut butter cups, a Halloween version of snickers candy bar, 3 donuts in the parking lot, 2 on the way home, and a small fry:o and you can see I have been busy. In all honesty the sad thing is I don't know if it could even qualify as a "binge" for me as it is smaller than others. Again, I ate in my car, eating donuts in the parking lot before I left the store,

I knew I had an issue this morning when I had to get up to take my daughter to school early for a trip..I had already decided i was going to go get donuts.:mad: Its been bad day for me. I hate doing this, I remember looking at myself this morning and said that I have to do something about my stomach, its getting bigger, rolls are coming back, the 20 lbs I've gained are going to be 35 at this point if I don't figure out how to stop. I have tried everything I can think of these past 6 months, the eating just doesn't stop, meds, exercise, self help, groups, I dont' know. :?: I always have great intentions, yet it brings me back to where I was before, depressed, sick to my stomach, hating myself, my life, my actions, everything:nono:.

tyla
10-12-2013, 09:32 PM
Mak, congratulations on making it to 9! Was that yesterday? So now it's day 10?!!!!!! Whatever, congrats for doing so well. Keep up the great work. Have a very happy weekend. :congrat: :dust:

cyn, Start over. The past is the past. Move on to day #1. The idea is to not quit. I know you can do it. I understand how hard it is sometimes. Getting back takes real discipline. I'm on your side, and praying that you don't have any more temptations. Remember, we're all in this together. :) :hug: :dust: Take a walk. Just moving will give you more strength.

I made it another day. Weekends are always hard, but I tried to keep myself busy. We just had dinner, and now my husband and I will walk in the mall. Have a great evening! :wave:

tyla
10-13-2013, 12:13 AM
Mak, I forgot to congratulate you on losing 7lbs.!!! That's awesome and amazing!!! :bravo: :dancer:

Mak78
10-13-2013, 03:52 AM
I think I need to change my time zone for time stamping my post because it technically was still my 9th day when I posted late last night but according to the time stamp it was after mid night so it was the beginning of my 10th day. Thanks for pointing that out tyla.

I am sort of confused about about how to feel about today. I saved a lot of my calories to go out and have Mexican food tonight which is one of my faves. It's a local small place so the menus not online. I ate half of my plate but way too many chips ,and I know can't control how many chips I eat so I should not eat them. I also drank regular soda and even though I ate signifantly less than I would during my constant overeating days it was still too much. I thought well it has only been a week how much my stomach can hold shouldn't have changed but that was not the case at all. I ended feeling sick and miserable after.

I feel like in some ways it was not an on plan day so that's not really great but in other ways I feel proud of myself that I didn't eat half as much as I did in the past ,and I learned that my stomach is not going to deal well with trying to put to much food into it after regularly following a low calorie food plan. And I am not really feeling discouraged because I also feel like I learned other important things today!

1.) I should limit eating meals out to once or twice a month because that's what is manageable for me right now. Going out to eat to many times over the weekend just increases my odds of wavering in my commitment to my food plan.

2.) Make sure that I don't ever even let the waiter put the chips and salsa out on our table at all because I don't need to not have even one chip.

3.) I don't have to be perfect on this journey. I just have to stay committed to learning about how I can help myself to best manage my food issues, so I just have to keep making progress one day at a time! Sometimes that means learning from the days that things didn't workout so well!

4.) I survived an off plan meal! All my hard work is not down the drain! I am not a failure or a loser. I am human. And I am learning what will and will not work for me which is totally ok! :-)

tyla
10-13-2013, 09:07 AM
Mak, you're doing a totally awesome job. You've learned a lot about yourself in a little over a week. That's amazing!! Don't put too much thought in how you've done or how better you could have done. Focus on how great you're going to do and feel today. Remember, we're taking it one day at a time. Each day is different with new challenges. How we handle each day is up to us. You're doing a fantastic job!! And you're changing your old behavior! I'm so happy for you!! Keep up the great work!! Lots of hugs to you today. :hug: :hug: :hug: We're in this together. :)

Mak78
10-14-2013, 01:25 AM
Thanks for the reminder tyla! I really needed it because if I am not careful I get caught up in never being satisfied with myself and always critizing myself which has never been helpful. This weekend has been hit and miss with following my food plan ,and I am still proud of the efforts I make everyday to manage my food issues. Everyday is different and my best looks different from one day to the next. I have spent a lot of time learning about myself over the past few years this is the just first time I feel like I have really been able to make sense of all it so now my goal is to make the best use of it to improve the quality of my life.

ILoveVegetables
10-14-2013, 02:16 PM
Broke my streak by overeating during dinner today. My parents and I went to a pretty expensive place which had an amazing buffet. I mainly had a lot of prawns, sushi and sashimi, but definitely ate way more than I should have :(

Time to get back on the wagon. I've been taking too many cheat meals and need to stop.

tyla
10-14-2013, 02:24 PM
Mak, I'm so happy that you're sticking with it, and learning a lot about yourself. It's easy to think what we're doing is not good enough. That's also a habit taught to us from someone. I do the same, and I'm trying desperately to change those thoughts. We have to realize we're doing the best we can. Can't be perfect all the time, but we can sure try to do the best we can. Losing 7lbs. is awesome!!!! Keep up the great work, and the next thing you know, it will be 10! Good luck to you!! :hug: :hug:

ILoveVegetables, eating sushi, prawns and sashimi is really good for you! You probably didn't do as bad as you thought. Just keep going. I don't think you broke anything. You're doing better than before. Focus on today, how you're going to do the best you can today. Good to have you posting again. All the best to you!! :goodluck: And remember, we're all in this together. :hug: :hug:

As for me, I had an a great weekend. Bought boots I've been wanting, and even though I said I was going to save them for Christmas, I wore them yesterday out to breakfast. I had scrambled eggs, an English muffin and coffee, and felt perfectly content. And I considered my boots to be a reward for staying within my range and exercising for several weeks. :)

Sum38
10-14-2013, 02:40 PM
Hi ladies,

Just a quick check-in. It has been 4 days since my last over eating episode. One day at a time, right?

I even managed to go out and stay within my calories. I went to an Italian restaurant, I ordered shrimp scampi over rice, had no wine etc. I did have half a glass of Spanish coffee, but that as well fell way into my calorie range.

So things are looking up over here :sunny:

Mak78
10-15-2013, 02:38 AM
Today is my 12th day without having a binge! I have not stayed on plan perfectly ,but I have not went to far over my calories or had any out of control food moments! It's a fantastic feeling to have made it this long. I was tempted to stop counting my days since I did eat off plan over the weekend, and then I decided against that because it felt like I would not have been honoring my efforts which would have made me feel like I failed and sabatoged my progress. I so want to be honest with myself and have some accountability. I think I am staying true to those values because I don't feel guilty about looking at my progress that way, so I hope I am doing the right thing. It feels like I am and today went really well. I stayed on plan and with only a little mental struggle about food choices as I was planning meals this morning.

I'm continuing to try not to focus on the future and just keep taking things one day at a time because there really is something so powerful about that. It's keeping me sane and every day it gives me hope because I just have make it through this one day. I hope everyone has a great week! Big Hugs to anyone that has been struggling. And kudos to everyone that has been going strong one day at a time! :-)

thesame7lbs
10-15-2013, 01:08 PM
Hello, everyone! Sorry I went MIA. I was in New Orleans for the long weekend. Talk about a city that celebrates overindulgence (or at least a tourism industry that promotes it). My plan for the weekend was to share desserts and stop eating when full. I did well on both accounts and came home weighing the same as when I left! Which is strange, because just the richness and sodium of restaurant food, plus alcohol, should have showed up as a few days worth of bloat. But I won't look that gift horse in the mouth!

Mak, it sounds like you are learning a lot and gaining so much strength from it! Congratulations -- it is wonderful to read about how great you feel!

Ilovevegetables, much better to overeat seafood than cheesecake. ;) Like you said, back on the wagon. You can do it!

Tyla, the boots are a perfect reward for a job well done! Wear them with pride!

Sum38, it sounds like you are back in a good place. I truly believe that getting back on the wagon quickly and cleanly is the best skill we can learn!

Mainecyn, :hug: I can't remember if you've said that you've tried one-on-one therapy. We are here to support you 100%, but it sounds like you might benefit from guidance from a professional experienced in eating disorders. :hug: (I don't mean to single you out -- I'm sure we could all benefit from that, but it sounds like you're in a low place and I am sad for you!)

tyla
10-15-2013, 02:07 PM
Good Morning, Everyone!:cool:

It's another great day and another fresh start. Let's take advantage of every opportunity to do the best we can. I'm so happy to see so many people on the board today!

Sum, so glad that you're back here with us. And taking it one day at a time is right on point. Congrats on going to an Italian restaurant and staying within your calorie range. That's not always easy to do. Kudos to you! :bravo:

Mak, that is so fantastic that you're on day 12 now!! :woohoo: I agree with you, that it is best not to analyze too much. That's when we sabotage. Just focus on every day's new journey of eating within your range and exercising. Make that a habit. And just keep going. One day at a time. :)

7lbs.! It 's so good to see you here!! :carrot: Wow, you went to New Orleans?!! So glad you had a great time, shared desserts and came back weighing the same. Wow, that's amazing!! :cp:

I'm trying my best to do the right thing, but that darn scale won't budge. Gotta move more, I guess. And also have to have patience. I just have to focus on taking it one day at a time and doing the best I can. I went to the library and got the Zumba DVD's and started working out to them yesterday, but they aren't as fun as my class. :lol: Tonight is my class, and I'm so looking forward to that. Have a great day, everyone! :)

Mak78
10-16-2013, 02:32 AM
Day 13! I made it through another day staying on my food plan. And I started exercising today! I feel like posting everyday has really helped me with the accountability aspect that I need to keep myself honest. Also the support I have received has become such an important part of my journey.

tyla, thanks for all the encouragemt it has really made a difference in my recovery experience! I am sure your patience will pay off and the scale will start moving in the right direction. :-)

tyla
10-16-2013, 11:13 AM
Mak, wow, another day on the food plan is so great to hear! What exercise did you do? I agree with you, that posting everyday does help us to be more accountable. I'm so glad this thread is helping you achieve your goals. It's certainly helping me. Keep up the great work! I really want you to succeed! (And you will!) :dust: :hug: :hug: :hug:

As for me, I really pushed myself with Zumba last night, and I had a great time! Plus I walked briskly for 30 minutes at lunchtime. I really want to get this weight off. It's all about being consistent, and taking it one day at a time. :)

Chaselove
10-16-2013, 11:32 AM
Is it too late for me to join?! Can I finish off the month with everyone? I already kind of binged for breakfast, but I'm stopping right now. My biggest issues are dealing with stress and night eating, but food isn't the answer to those problems!

I've done it before and I will do it again! You guys are the best!! I will check in tomorrow to tell everyone how I've fared through the night! :D

-Hasta luego!

tyla
10-16-2013, 12:17 PM
Welcome, Chaselove! I'm so glad you're joining us. All of us here know all about stress, overeating and bingeing. So you're in the right place. We've decided we're going to stop this habit (because that's what it is), taking it one day at a time. We're not striving for perfection, but we do want to change these habits. You've got to replace overeating for some other activity that you like. You'll learn what we mean as you keep posting.

I'm so happy that you stopped overeating after breakfast. Good luck for the rest of the day, and keep us posted on how you did. Like Mak said, it really helps to post daily to keep you accountable. Best of luck to you!! We're waiting for good news. :) :goodluck: :hug: :hug:

Mak78
10-16-2013, 01:18 PM
Good morning!
Tyla, I actually did a walking DVD at home and some exercises with my kettle bell. I have a history of over doing it when I am in one of my phases of punishing myself. I think I finally learned my lesson with that after dealing with a pretty bad case of tendinitis in my right shoulder and elbow joints for the past couple months. It's better now thank God!
So this time around I am breaking another part of my cycle by starting out slowly and only doing things that I can do at this point. I have also decided to chose things I enjoy rather forcing myself to do exercises I hate. It seems to be helping me feel better about moving more and less like I am torturing myself. :-)

tyla
10-16-2013, 11:34 PM
Mak, Are you doing Walking Off the Pounds? I do that one, too. It's easy and Leslie Sansone is great! Congrats on doing the kettle balls, too. Sorry about your tendinitis. I agree with you about having more fun with exercise. When I do hard ones, I tend to lose interest fast. Right now Zumba, walking and some Pilates are good enough for me. :) Keep up the great work! :bravo:

Mak78
10-17-2013, 03:22 AM
Here I am finishing Day#14! That means I have made it two weeks without having a binge and for the most part following a very strict meal plan and staying with in a 1300-1600 calorie range. I also have excercised 2 days in a row! I feel like I am actually making some real progress with managing my food issues and feel so grateful for everyday that goes by that I go to bed knowing I didn't use food to comfort myself. I have hurt myself a lot with my binging and punishment cycles over the years, so it feels like such a relief to not be trapped in that cycle anymore. With every day that goes by I feel a little bit lighter literally and figuratively! Sort of like this weight is being lifted just a little at a time everyday,but enough so I can get through each day. And that's all I need is to just get through each day one day at a time. I know that I am never going to magically wake up one morning and not food issues anymore, but what I do know is that I have gotten a lot stronger and smarter about the way I manage them!

tyla, I do use the Walk Away the Pounds DVDs! I love Leslie Sansone. :-)

tyla
10-17-2013, 02:48 PM
Mak, I'm so happy that you have now made it to day 15!!!! That's over 2 weeks! That's so amazing! I like your calorie range. Mine is very similar. I think that's very doable, especially being able to go to the higher end of the range on weekends. Good going on the exercise, too. This morning, so far, I did 35 minutes of my Zumba DVD, and later today I'll walk. Did some weights, too.

Thank you for keeping this up. It also encourages me to keep going. I've learned a lot about myself also. Overeating or bingeing to me is always about some negative emotion, so I try to hang around more positive people. (Although it's not always easy to do.) :lol:

Here's to a great day! :dust:

LiveAgain
10-17-2013, 03:58 PM
I'm a long time lurker and very new poster. Do you have room for another? I'm a closet binger and it has become worse now than ever before. I have been binging daily for some time now....I honestly don't remember my last day without a binge. And unfortunately they start in the morning and last all day. I'm in a very dark place and really need your help. I would like to start counting days without a binge. I look forward to getting to know each of you on this journey.

Mak78
10-17-2013, 09:00 PM
I weighed myself today ,and I only lost 1/2 a pound over the past seven days. I was a little disappointed , but I am trying to still see it as a success because at least it's a lost even though it's just a tiny one. I am not sure what led to such a small loss except that I may not have estimated my weekend calorie intake correctly or I was not careful enough with measuring my portion sizes during the week. I try to measure everything because in the past I would not be honest with myself about how much food I was actually putting on my plate and measuring it helps me to actually be conscious of everything I am putting in my mouth.

In the past having such a tiny loss would have crushed me. I would have wanted to go home and eat everything in sight. Today has been different so far. I have stayed on my food plan and used some different coping skills to deal with the feelings of disappointment. This has helped me to avoid having lowered feelings about myself which always leads to binging. I really want to make it through the whole day without overeating because it will be a big win for me to handle this situation without sabotaging my progress by having a binge! Hopefully I come back later to post that I made it through!

Liveagain, I'm new here to ,and I have been in a really dark place with my food issues at several points in my life, so just know that you are not alone. Reaching out for support was really difficult for me to do, but I am so glad that I finally did. One of the things that really helped me to begin with was reading the post and blog from Mrs.Snark. I believe some of her post are referenced in this thread during the earlier part of the month. Reading her words describing how she has come to a greater understanding of what it means to manage her eating and live a binge free normal life was so inspiring. They gave me hope that I could find a way out of the darkness. And slowly every day I have.

Mak78
10-18-2013, 02:03 AM
I made it! It's the end of my 15th day ,and I am on my way to bed without overeating! Despite finding out that I only lost 1/2 a pound over the last week, I stayed on plan today! I'm really proud of myself because in the past the disappointment from not having a big loss would have gotten the best of me ,and I would have started to feel bad about myself. So today I am for the first time able to truly appreciate a non-scale victory! I didn't turn to food to deal with a difficult emotion and that's a major accomplishment for me!

tyla
10-18-2013, 11:18 AM
Good Morning, Everyone!
Today is day 48 for me! I'm pretty proud of myself, especially because yesterday I got some pretty devastating news. 48 days ago, I would have run to the refrigerator. But somehow I got through it. I stayed within my calorie range, exercised and kept busy. I want my new habit of self-control to stick. I'm going to the dentist this morning, so I don't have a lot of time to post today. I hope everyone has a strong, healthy weekend! We're all in this together! :hug:

Welcome, LiveAgain! I'm so happy that you decided to join us! I know you can do it. Just take it one minute at a time, one hour at a time, one day at a time. Read all the posts on this thread. There's a lot of important information from everyone here. We want you to succeed! :) Make this your day one. Good luck to you!! :goodluck: :hug:

Mak, congrats on making it to day 15 and now on 16. Your body is adjusting to your new weight. That's why you're not losing more. Next week will be better! !/2 lb is excellent! Keep up the great work! :congrat:

Have a great weekend, everyone! :dust:

momwithdogs
10-18-2013, 12:13 PM
Good morning girls!

I know it's late in the game, but is there room for one more?

Finding this thread/forum makes me very happy, but I wish to he$% none of us had to be here in the first place!:hug:

Congrats to everyone for having the courage and strength to post their struggles and I hope I can help anyone who needs it. Granted, I was going to join last night, but I was too busy eating a bowl of spicy ramen, had no intention of putting it down and I don't type well with one hand.;)

tyla
10-18-2013, 12:44 PM
Hi Momwithdogs! Welcome! I'm so happy you decided to join us! You made me laugh with your spicy ramen and not being able to type with one hand. :lol: I love people with a sense of humor! You'll fit right in. Let this be your day one.

So what kind of dogs do you have? I love dogs.

Let's do this thing. :hug: :dust:

thesame7lbs
10-18-2013, 01:58 PM
Hello everyone!

Tyla, I am so sorry you received bad news yesterday. :hug: Give yourself a hug and a high-five for finding non-food ways to cope with your grief/stress. And I'll give you another hug, too. :hug:

Mak78, :carrot: way to go! You are an inspiration. I love reading your posts, it's like I can see you getting stronger in each one. Bad weigh-ins are a HUGE trigger for me. I bet your next weigh-in will be better. For me, it seems to take a couple weeks on plan before my body grudgingly agrees to the math and starts shedding lbs.

Welcome, Momwithdogs, Liveagain,and Chaselove! Momwithdogs, I totally agree with you -- I wish none of us had to be here, but since we have this challenge in our lives, I'm glad we can face it together, support each other, and learn from each other.

Mainecyn, I am thinking about you and I hope you're still reading. :hug:

I have had an OK week. I was away for a long weekend in New Orleans and we ate a lot, and this week I am finding it hard to get back to clean eating. Today I feel a bit better, though, and I will ride this wave of positivity into the weekend.

Mrs Snark
10-18-2013, 02:15 PM
Good morning all! I am back from vacation and happy to report NO BINGES. Yippee!

I am totally in love with Maine and the cool weather -- it was a humid slap in the face returning to Florida, that's for sure!

I need to catch up on the thread, but I just wanted to quick say Happy Friday to everyone, I hope we all have a great, binge-free weekend on tap!

ILoveVegetables
10-18-2013, 04:48 PM
Welcome back, Mrs. Snark. Awesome job with the no bingeing :)

I overate a bit today at dinner. I'm starting to get annoyed with myself because I'm slipping up too often. When there's normal food, I have no problem staying within a reasonable limit, but if there's some really good food for lunch or dinner, or if we order something nice from outside, I can't seem to help myself. The first few times I thought it's ok, I just have to let it go and get back on the wagon, but I'm starting to feel like it's a problem. I've already slipped up twice this week.

I was pretty excited yesterday because I lost my first 10 lbs, but after I ate today it promptly went up to make it just 0.5 lbs short of 10 lost :(

momwithdogs
10-18-2013, 06:26 PM
Thank you for the warm welcome!:hug:

Tyla-I find the only way to survive this weight lark is with a sense of humor! Otherwise, I'll spend my evenings crying in my cupcake...and then bawling bc I ate the stupid cupcake or 12.;)

Thesame7-You are spot on! If we have to be here, might as well be here together.:D

Mrs Snark-Big congrats!:D

ILoveVegetables-Great job with your loss! I think, well I know, we are our harshest critics, but you haven't done anything that will affect you in the long-term. You've acknowledged that a mistake and that's a huge hurdle!:hug:

So called 'accountability' as been my biggest challenge. To me, it's a misnomer bc it suggests I'm not aware of what I am doing to myself; I am fully aware of my issues. I always tell my DD, mistakes are a part of life and never be afraid to make them. Each one leads to a learning experience and that's the best lesson ever.

Need to take my own advice.:dizzy:

(Sorry for the long post, I tend to be long-winded.:lol:)

Mak78
10-19-2013, 03:16 AM
I made it through day #16. And I can't believe how close I am to getting to the 30 day mark! I don't think I ever gone that long with out a binge in my entire adult life. I still have moments were I question myself and my ability to stay on track, but I try really hard not to focus on those thoughts. I am slowly making progress one day at a time.

LiveAgain
10-19-2013, 07:15 AM
Thank you so much for the warm welcome....you don't even know how much that warms my heart!!! I have a home full of people but have felt so alone at times the last few years. That is not a good place to be....when you are an overeater.

Looks like I made it past day 1. I'm ashamed to say that, I planned a middle of the night ice cream binge and for whatever reason...I slept the whole time. Anyways, I still made it for a day.... First time in months.

I look forward to getting to know each of you and being on this journey and not being alone anymore. Again, thanks for the welcome!!!

tyla
10-19-2013, 09:29 AM
LiveAgain, congratulations!! :congrat: I know how hard it is to just start with day 1, but you did it!!! And Kudos to you for not getting up in the middle of the night. It's hard to break a long time habit, when it makes you feel good. (Although it's really damaging physically and mentally.) But you stopped yourself!!!!! :bravo:

I'm so happy you're here with us! We understand what you're going through. A lot of us have gone through similar situations. Please make this day 2 by planning your menu, keeping busy and coming here to post whenever you need to. Good luck to you today!!! :hug: :dust:

tyla
10-19-2013, 09:45 AM
Mak, you're reaching that 30 day mark soon! Looking forward to seeing that! :carrot:

MomwithDogs, how was yesterday? Glad you found us! :)

Ilovevegetables, congrats on losing your first 10! :congrat:

Mrs.Snark I'm so happy you're back, and with no binges! :bravo:

7lbs, thanks for the hugs. I needed those. My sweet hubby brought home yellow roses yesterday. He knows how much I love them. Have a wonderful weekend. :hug:

Let's all have a great weekend. Mine will be busy. We have gardening to do and lots of chores to get done. Let's stay strong! :grouphug: :dust:

momwithdogs
10-19-2013, 11:54 AM
LiveAgain-Congrats on making it through the night! I kind of did the same thing; allowed myself a few M&Ms on the couch last night and it was just enough to keep me completely satisfied.

I have noticed over the years that I don't really have trigger foods- the problems start as soon as restriction begins. For me, it's going to have to be a new mind set.

Good luck for the weekend girls! :hug::D

tyla
10-20-2013, 11:00 AM
Happy Sunday!
Here's looking forward to a another great weekend day. Yesterday because of going to the dentist on Friday, I ended up eating only soft foods. It was a little tricky, but I still ate in range. Ended up eating oatmeal, a couple of yogurts and soup. Because I didn't have any fiber I was starving all day, so I rewarded myself with a frozen yogurt (175 cals.) Today is day 50 for me without binge-eating. :) This is a huge deal. I'm soooooo proud of myself! :dancer:

Best of luck to everyone today. I know you can do it!! :grouphug:

Mrs Snark
10-20-2013, 11:34 AM
Sending you positive thoughts, Mainecyn.

Don't let yourself be defined by one bad day or even by 10 bad days (or several years of bad days, I've had those, too!).

You can do this, just put the binge behind you and make your very next choice a healthy one. Come back to us! :)

LiveAgain
10-20-2013, 02:15 PM
You are all so sweet and It amazes me that I really feel the love and care already. I work night shift....usually twice per week and that can be tough. Somehow, junk food and carbs can be associated with "I need it to keep me awake." I worked last night and I was not prepared. I went to work with nothing but a bottle of water. Of course I was starving and attacked my bag for change and then the vending machine. Then my shift ended horribly (don't want to go into details). I'm too upset too sleep and I have to work all night again tonight.

I'm trying to pick up the pieces and say what's done is done. I will be prepared with healthy snacks for my shift tonight. Now....deep breaths.....clear my mind of worries and to sleep I go.

I hope to bête to know each of you and start giving you support also. Together we can do this!!!

ILoveVegetables
10-20-2013, 03:28 PM
@LiveAgain. Yeah, the night is a difficult time when it comes to bingeing. I still have such huge problems not eating at night (my sleep cycle is really bad, I stay awake almost the whole night and sleep right til the afternoon at times). One step at a time, though :)

Good day today. I woke up late (around 2 pm), didn't have anything to eat, and went out for dinner with friends at around 7. I didn't overeat as I normally would have, though. Stuck to a plate of prawns (god, I love seafood) and shared a small mushroom starter with my friend (let her have most of it while I chewed on the cabbage on the side) and didn't have a drink.

I'm probably not going to sleep until really late tonight as well, but I have almonds and some tomatoes that I'll eat, so I'm happy with today in general. Also gone below 210 lbs today so yay, hopefully that first 10 lbs is permanently gone :)

momwithdogs
10-20-2013, 04:03 PM
Sounds like everyone is right on target this weekend! Love to hear it!

Right now my only goal is not to binge/overeat- I really don't want to get into calorie counting, as that seems to be what throws me over the edge.:dizzy:

LiveAgain-A very good friend of mine is a nurse and she works 7p-7a on the weekends. She too has struggled with weight most of her life and she says the only way to make it through the shifts is to pack her food bag and be prepared for anything. :hug:

Tyla-:carrot:

Mak78
10-20-2013, 06:24 PM
Well it hasn't been the worst weekend food wise ,but I have struggled. I didn't eat nearly as much as I usually can, but I didn't really eat any meals I have just sort of grazed on snacks over the weekend. It's been a stressful weekend ,and I have been trying so hard to avoid a binge. I think that is why I have been avoiding eating meals. I want to be as disciplined during weekend as I am during the week, it just feels so much better to follow a strict food plan at this point in my journey. I am feeling a little discourage because since it has been a stressful time it has been very difficult for me to stay with my calories range. I'm just going to keep trying today and try to get through the day staying within my calorie range or as close as possible. I guess my best just needs to be good enough because if not negativite feelings will definitely lead to sabotaging all of my efforts.

tyla
10-20-2013, 07:19 PM
Mak, stay strong. I wanted so much for you to see Day 30. Please keep going. You can do it! :strong: :hug:

Momwithdogs, Thanks. Here's wishing you meet your goal today of not to binge or overeat. :dust: :hug:

Mrs Snark
10-20-2013, 08:31 PM
Mak -- your best *IS* good enough. Hang in there, some days are just harder than others. I always tell myself that tomorrow will be SO MUCH easier, and I'm usually right!

You can do it.

Hugs to all!

Mak78
10-21-2013, 12:07 AM
Sorry my last post was a bit unintelligible. My proof reading was interrupted by my beautiful but noisy child. :-)

I have dealt with a lot of mental struggle and temptation this weekend. I am proud to say though that I resisted pizza, fried foods and a bunch of other foods that are super hard for me to say no to and that I usually binge on! And I don't think that I could have done it without the support of this community. Thank you Mrs. Snarks for your words of encouragement! They were the words in my mind as I was preparing my on plan dinner and dealing with the temptation to eat the meal I prepared for my family.

So I made it through day 17&18 despite the challenges. And I am believing that tomorrow will be easier. I hope everyone had a great weekend and stays strong this week!

momwithdogs
10-21-2013, 10:10 AM
Do you mind if I ask, do most of you follow some sort of weight management plan, as well as working to live binge free?

What's key to your success?:)

mainecyn
10-21-2013, 04:35 PM
For the first time in months, I made it thru a weekend without binge eating. I also didn't over eat, or anything "bad" for me in general, flour, sugar, processed food etc. I made it thru 7 full days. :D

tyla
10-21-2013, 05:43 PM
mainecyn, I knew you could do it! :congrat: As I said, take one hour at a time, one day at a time. That's how I started, and it worked for me! I'm so happy to see you here. We missed you!

Mom, we all have different plans. Some count calories with a 1200-1600 range, some go to Weight Watchers, some just stop eating when full, some go on very strict, same meals everyday plan and others do different plans. Do whatever you like. Find a plan that works for you. But whatever it is, do your best to not overeat or binge. Like I said before, overeating is merely a bad habit. It was taught to us. We learned it calms us down for a minute. Then later we feel bad physically and mentally about doing it.

Some people do drugs, some people smoke, some gamble when stressed. We eat. Some people do all of the above. :lol: These are all bad habits that can be broken. It takes 30 days to make a habit stick, then things get a lot easier. But we must be ever vigilant. And it all depends how bad you want it! If you're not that committed to not overeat, you'll continue to overeat. It's all up to you. But I'm rooting for you! :cheer3:

I had an early meeting today. Am quite busy. Hope everyone does well today. It's day 51 for me. Counting helps me stay focused. :) (I see it works for AA, so it should work for me.) :lol:

Mrs Snark
10-21-2013, 09:34 PM
Do you mind if I ask, do most of you follow some sort of weight management plan, as well as working to live binge free?

What's key to your success?:)

I dropped pretty much all junk food. While we all know that total calories is what "counts" for weight loss (people love to point out that your body can lose weight on 1500 calories of Twinkies if you so choose), 1500 calories of whole(ish) foods makes me act very differently than 1500 calories of potato chips and bagels. I think that has been pretty key for me to both lose weight and get a better handle on binging. I stopped trying to eat my trigger foods like a "normal" person, and just admitted to myself that I can't eat that stuff AND be fit and stop binging. That's just me.

MeganTheMushroom
10-21-2013, 11:43 PM
The past two days were good, but today was awful.
Doesn't help that both of my housemates are in their rooms sleeping with really nice people, and I'm all alone, with banana bread, peanut butter, and pasta.
Tomorrow will be another Day 1 though.
I really hope this week goes well for all of us

thesame7lbs
10-22-2013, 02:14 AM
Hi everyone! :wave:

I feel like I've been MIA the past week or so. Super busy with kids' school/family stuff. Today my DH took an unexpected (and most unusual) personal day from work, and we took the dog to the beach and then to a cafe w/dog-friendly patio for lunch. A very nice surprise to spend a relaxed day with just him (and the dog). :)

Since I got back from NOLA last week I've been eating "like a normal person" -- neither restricting nor overeating. Just... eating. It's so strange. ;) I've been a little stressed because I hurt my knee and I've only run twice (totaling less than 9 miles) in the past 10 days. Normally I'd have put in about 35 miles in that time. Yesterday I came close to drowning my sorrows in the pantry, but I was able to put the food down and walk away before I started. Super proud of myself for that!

Megan, I'm sorry today was bad, but you had two good days before that. Next time you will string together three good days, four good days, and more, and more! Build on the success of those two days. You know you can do it. Loneliness is a big trigger for me, too. :hug:

Mrs. Snark, welcome back and way-to-go on your vacation! (Forgive me if I said that already in a previous post). I really enjoy your blog -- you're both funny and a good writer -- wonderful combination!

Tyla, 51 days -- woohoooO! :carrot: You have persevered through stress and bad news and all the other ups and downs of daily living. Give yourself a pat on the back!

Mainecyn, so good to see you back and way to go on the 7 days! :cb:

Momwithdogs, in response to your question, when I'm trying to lose I count calories, usually between 1600 and 2000.

Mak78, I love reading about your continued success! :cheer:

Vegetables, congrats on the 10 lbs lost -- don't milestones feel awesome? :bravo:

Liveagain, I've read that working night shifts is incredibly challenging for maintaining a healthy weight. Preparation is certainly key to success with healthy eating -- it is much harder to stay on plan when we're caught empty-handed. Easier said than done, I know. I'm sorry you had a bad night at work -- crossing my fingers that tonight is better!

Sorry for all the smilies today -- I'm tired and sometimes they seem easier than trying to put everything into words. And I just love this one in particular! :dance:

LiveAgain
10-22-2013, 09:25 AM
Thank you....quick post here before dropping little one off for PS and errands for me.

Hope everyone has a wonderful, on plan day today!!!! My plan for today is to not binge or overeat! No counting carbs or calories....I just want to eat only what I would not be ashamed of eating if anyone watched me all day.

And I personally love the smilies!!!

thesame7lbs
10-22-2013, 11:22 AM
And I personally love the smilies!!!

LiveAgain, this one's just for you!

:scooter:

(that's a little dude running errands, just like you!)

momwithdogs
10-22-2013, 12:16 PM
:woohoo::devil:

LA...here are my two favorite smilies, just for you!:hug:

momwithdogs
10-22-2013, 12:19 PM
Thank you for answering my question. I think until I get a better grip on this eating thing, trying to incorporate any type of plan might be too much.

You know though, for me, it's so hard to say if I really feel this way or if I am making another excuse for myself.:dizzy:

tyla
10-22-2013, 01:54 PM
Mom, none of this is a "must do." Just do the best you can. Like MrsSnark, says, "Try to give up junk food." Or if that's too much, just do better than before. We're not perfect. We don't have all the answers. We're just trying our best. We like you here, so stick with us. :) :hug:

LiveAgain, I like your plan for today! Can you tell I like smilies, too? :D

7lbs, I'm so glad you're back! I missed you! :hug: You and your smilies bring us so much joy! Thank you! Your day with you DH sounded wonderful! :cool: So sorry about your knee. :(

Megan, good luck today with Day 1! I'm rooting for you!! :cheer3: Here's a hug for you today. I'm not a boyfriend, like your housemates have, but any hug is a good thing. ;) :hug:

MrsSnark, thank you for your advice of giving up junk food. That's the most important piece of advice. I'm so glad you're back from vacation, too! :hug:

Today I'm going out to lunch with a friend. I'm probably going to have a salad. I'm going to check out the menu right after I get off this thread.

Here's wishing everyone a great day! :dust:

mainecyn
10-22-2013, 03:49 PM
says, "Try to give up junk food."

I am doing just that. I have found it easier to look at it that way. I have started day 8 clean eating and no binging. Which, is a first for me.

LiveAgain
10-22-2013, 03:55 PM
Oh my goodness....I popped on here to check in with all of you & now I have a big smile across my face to get me through the afternoon of laundry and housework. I generally only work 2 shifts a week (nights). However, I'm working someone's vacation....so I will work this coming Wed-Sun night. I now have a plan to get everything bought and prepared tomorrow and bring healthy snacks with me every night. Have a great afternoon/evening!!!

tyla
10-22-2013, 04:09 PM
Woo Hoo for LiveAgain!! :woohoo:

cyn, great attitude! :bravo:

Mrs Snark
10-22-2013, 05:00 PM
thesame7lbs - dealing with injuries, gah, it's the worst isn't it? I hate a disruption in the workout routine. Running is one of my favorite stress reducers, particularly since stress eating is no longer an option. Good job staying out of the pantry! Hopefully you'll heal fast with a bit of rest! And thanks for the compliment on my rambling blog, much appreciated!

I've enjoyed getting back to my normal routine now that I'm home, though there has been some amount of struggle since there are no more "vacation indulgences" to be had. Funny how quickly we get used to those. I'm glad I kept a fairly tight ship while away, to minimize the pain of getting back to normal!

geoblewis
10-22-2013, 05:58 PM
I hope you don't mind my joining your group. I struggle with overeating, a lot, and am trying to break free from it. I generally do well during the day, but once I get home from work, while it's not quite an evening of mindless eating, I'll have far too much dinner, and then continue snacking until I'm too full. And that's when I'll go to bed, because for some reason I really like to numb out by the time I go to bed.

Before I go into any details of my day, are there any rules about posting in this group that I need to know about?

Mrs Snark
10-22-2013, 06:46 PM
Welcome, Georgia! No rules that I'm aware of, feel free to share! :)

tyla
10-22-2013, 07:34 PM
Welcome, Georgia! Glad you could join us! :)

geoblewis
10-22-2013, 08:35 PM
Thank you, Ms. Snark. (I'm multi-tasking at the moment, enjoying your blog. Excellent progress!) Well then, it begins...

I'm trying to workout this overeating thing. I'm ready to release it into the wild. I don't think I need it any longer. I. Just. Can't. STOP! Why? Because I have nothing else with which to replace it.

I learned recently that I use overeating to numb out, to slow myself down, to dull my thinking and help me go to sleep every night. I check out of obsessive thinking, last minute things I didn't get done at work, will my sons grow up to be good men, and when will the 21-year-old move out, all the reasons why I still hate the XH 3.5 years after the divorce, how I'm lonely but don't want to risk getting into a relationship now because life is just about where I want it to be, and how is my mother going to mess with my life tomorrow.

I am really happy, during the day. I love my life, during the day. I am busy with things I enjoy doing, I have a great job, I finally workout every day and I love it, I have wonderful friends with whom I am involved just enough...I could go on and on about how great my life is and how happy I am, during the day.

But at night, old worrisome habits and poor sleep really mess with my head. And so, I overeat. Overeating is comforting. It is sanctuary. A sanctuary where I can be my total self and there is no room for anyone else to push back and take up space. I sleep in a queen-sized bed, because there's only room for the Queen!

Today I've been fasting. I like to fast, because then I can get away from the food. But tonight, the fast come to an end. I don't know what I'm going to eat. I've been known to eat ALL my BMR (1890 calories) after a 24-hour fast. I don't want to do that! I want to just have no more than 900 calories, and then go to bed. So I'm going to try to do that.

momwithdogs
10-23-2013, 10:41 AM
Welcome Georgia!:hug:

momwithdogs
10-23-2013, 10:44 AM
I hope everyone has a Happy Hump Day!:D

Finally had a BFD (binge free day.) I love abbreviations the way some of us love
smilies.;)

For now, I guess my plan is more BFDs along with IE. I know I don't have to label it, but I'm weird like that, lol.:dizzy:

geoblewis
10-23-2013, 11:20 AM
I managed to keep my fast-breaking dinner to under 1400 calories, but I'm still disappointed with myself. I had made myself a large salad with tuna for dinner, but my sons had ordered pizza. And I ate three slices.

Could have been worse!

So today I back to focusing on not overeating. I usually do well at breakfast, staying under 500 calories. Lunch and dinner will be the challenges.

Wishing everyone good focus for your day. One day at a time!

ILoveVegetables
10-23-2013, 02:46 PM
After a few not-so-good days, I think I've got the overeating under control again. I've started making a salad when I'm hungry (just tomato, cucumber, onion, lemon and chillies), so I fill myself up with that. I'm still stuck around 210 lbs, but hopefully the scale will move in a bit. My TOM will be starting soon, so fingers crossed for a decent loss in the next week or so. On the downside, I'm super moody and irritable these days.

tyla
10-23-2013, 03:40 PM
Good Morning, Everyone!
Well, it's only 8 more days until the end of the month, and I must say I've been very proud of everyone, including myself. :lol: But now, as the month comes to an end, I think it may be time for a new leader.

MrsSnark, how about you taking over in November? People seem to relate to your story, and I would hate to see this little group disband. We have such a great group now. And I think it's good if we all took turns, giving our group a new perspective.

I'm proud to say this is day 53 for me with no binges! Today was especially hard for some reason, but I'm posting here instead of eating. :D

I hope everyone has a great, binge-free day! It's one hour, one day at a time. :)

laceyj
10-23-2013, 05:27 PM
Hello everyone! I have been on and off this forum and I think it's time to check in again. After not binge eating for awhile, the binge monster has gotten to me twice in one week! I think because I was battling being ill for awhile and had gotten down to 103 pounds (I had a really bad problem with GERD). Now that I'm feeling better, I think my body is rebelling and I feel trapped in this vicious cycle! Today I felt guiltier than ever after waking up at 1:30 last AM (after a perfect day of eating) and gorging myself on cookies and tortillas with Jam (don't ask!, it was in my fridge and I ate it!). Now I'm feeling bloated and my body is hating me :( Today I was desperate to feel better so I found this link! If you find yourself down after a binge, it may be of some help to you like it was to me :)

http://recoverybites.org/2011/09/09/20-reasons-not-to-hate-yourself-after-a-binge/

I'll try to check in with you all and get to know you better!

thesame7lbs
10-23-2013, 05:34 PM
Thank you for answering my question. I think until I get a better grip on this eating thing, trying to incorporate any type of plan might be too much.

You know though, for me, it's so hard to say if I really feel this way or if I am making another excuse for myself.:dizzy:

Momwdogs, I don't think it's an excuse. I believe that restriction is a huge cause of binging. Over and over again on 3FC, you will read a post where someone says they never binged until they had dieted. Yes, they had overeaten, but the crazy, out-of-control binging came only after a period of restriction. I know this is true for me. I feel like I walk a fine line between getting to my happy weight and drawing the binge-dragon out of his cave. Take your time, figure out one piece of the puzzle before working on the next.

Tyla, thank you for reminding me that there are only 8 days left in the month! I hope that means that candy corn will disappear from the stores in 9 days. It is my Achilles heel for sure.

Geoblewis and laceyj, welcome!

Hello to ILoveVegetables, LiveAgain, Mainecyn, Mrs. Snark and anyone else who is reading along!

tyla
10-23-2013, 06:11 PM
Hello, Laceyj and welcome!! Thank you for your link. I realized I needed to see that today. I guess it all comes down to if you're not dealing with situations that bother you, you turn to food for love and comfort. I guess I still get those same feelings whenever something doesn't go as well as I think it should. It's amazing! It takes a long time to change bad habits.
Anyway, I'm so glad you are here with us! :)

Hello, 7lbs.! I'm always happy when you post. :) You give us a lot of good information, like restriction causes bingeing! I think I fall in this category a lot. It seems like it's all or nothing. :(

Mrs Snark
10-23-2013, 07:27 PM
Hey Tyla, I'll be happy to start the November thread, though I'm nowhere the leader you are.

You really stay on top of each and every post and give alot of yourself to each of us -- don't think we haven't noticed. I tend to read along quietly in the background, but I will try to be less lurky in November.

Plus we have lots of active posters now, so hopefully we'll continue strong through the rest of the year!

tarabella
10-23-2013, 08:58 PM
Hi non-bingers!

I had a biiig 2000 calorie plus binge yesterday, the second since finding out I am pregnant on Sunday! I am so glad to be pregnant with my first baby at 36, but am horrified at the though of me with even more license to eat. I am pretty healthy and at the upper end of a healthy BMI but I need to watch it, always. I love salad and eat it usually for lunch and dinner; I walk alot- I was jogging but now I will just stick with walking, and yoga 5 days a week just myself for 30 min or so. I was doing some weight training this year too and will try to keep doing just twice a week, an easier session, just to keep the muscle I have. My problem (well one of them) is I have been trying to keep having "healthy" treats as well which are all trigger foods for me for binges. I have been limiting truly clean foods to try to lose weight while still being able to have these treats every day..usually several a day....if not a binge. Needless to say despite running weights and calorie counting I have not managed to lose much weight over the last 5 months or so.

It is more important then ever before for me to stop binging now that I have a child to think of and perhaps easier because weight loss is not the focus now- just avoiding trigger foods and binges/ mass overeating. I have been really inspired reading Mrs. Snark's blog and may start a blog myself, "overcoming an E.D. while pregnant"; well at least I want to really start checking in here every day. I need to rid my home of a few triggers today and have already had a triggery food today so I am unlikely to have a perfect day today. I CAN not fully binge though.

Thanks for reading this, and darn I so will check in "binge free" tonight.

ILoveVegetables
10-23-2013, 10:38 PM
tarabella, congratulations on your pregnancy! Give yourself a break, I'm sure a few binges are perfectly fine :)

laceyj, thank you for that link. I just had a slightly binge-y breakfast and was feeling a bit low, but that article was a nice read :)

Mak78
10-24-2013, 12:46 AM
Hello all!

I hope everyone is well.

I have tried very hard this month to avoid binging or overeating. And now I have to report that I had a small binge on Monday. :(

My schedule changed ,and I did not plan my meals to accommodate for those changes. I was disappointed with myself ,but I am dealt with it. Monday was my first day at my new job ,and I didn't plan for dinner that night and forgot my lunch at home. I have a paid lunch, so I can't leave to get anything to eat and by the time I got home I was starving! I ate some lunch meat and cheese as soon as I got home, but shortly after that my husband walked in with pizza. I ate two pieces, a piece of chicken and a few wedges. It is a lot less than I would have eaten in the past ,so I guess it's an improvement in that respect.

On Tuesday I got back on track and today was a good day. So here I am back at day number two, but I am not giving up!

tarabella
10-24-2013, 06:38 AM
I overate today, but only like normal;) not binging. The most important thing is not to binge ( because usually I try to purge too and certainly do not want to do that while pregnant). I am so scared of gaining way too much this 9 months, like 50lbs instead of my ideal which would be 20lbs max. I wish I had got a better handle on this before I got pregnant and hate that I'm thinking about this so much instead of just being happy... But I thought about "all this" way too much before I was pregnant (heck, all my adult life) so why expect it to change now?!?!

I have got rid of my triggery/binge foods though so am better placed to have a moderate day tomorrow. My lunch is made, my meals are planned, I can do a day, surely. I dream of living happy with my body and at peace with my eating; well thousand miles single step and all that Jazz.

I reckon I'm saying day 1 binge free :carrot:
even if not overeating free just now.

Rhiko
10-24-2013, 09:22 AM
This sounds like my kind of thread.

Hi everyone :wave:

Over the past couple days I've been eating seconds for dinner... Last night I ate a meal for four :fr: I think it's because I'm stressing out over my exam tomorrow. I don't know if I can remember everything... there is so much. And I guess my anticipation of the year finally being over is getting to me too. If I didn't have one semester left, I would take a year off and go back to it once I've had a break. I hate the pressure and the inability to have free time because it's filled with assignments. *sigh* anyway. I used to be good with not-binging, but when I took a break from my diet because of end of semester assignments in June, I've lost my restraint. I'll do my best to get it back over my summer break.

geoblewis
10-24-2013, 12:11 PM
Good morning (and good evening to those on the other side of the planet).

Started my day with overeating. Not terribly bad, but definitely overate at breakfast. I made scrambled eggs with onion and tomatoes on toast for my son and me. He got to full before I did and then slid the rest of his eggs (actually, by then it was mostly onions and tomatoes) onto my plate. I had reached satiety, but I went ahead and ate the rest of his breakfast. And then I was suddenly stuffed! It wasn't that much more food, maybe an additional half cup. In total, my breakfast was 472 calories. But I was stuffed full! So, no gold star for starting my day with overeating.

So, getting back on track...right now!

I am so glad I can report here. Accountability for each episode of overeating feels right.

Hope you all have a great day!

momwithdogs
10-24-2013, 12:17 PM
Good morning girls!:hug:

Tarabella-Big congrats! I had my DS last year at 39! You'll sail right through it! As far as ED and pregnancy, it is easy to tell yourself now is the time to eat anything you want, when in reality, you need about 300 extra calories a day. That number does go up in 3rd tri, but not by a significant amount.

I thought the weight would just fall off like it did with DD...I was 24 then and had some sort of metabolism, lol.

And for anyone who caught that, yes, DH and I were very close to shipping DD off to college and getting our lives back, when we decided to go for one more. We often wonder if we're bat s&%t crazy!:dizzy:

Have decided that I cannot keep spicy ramen in the house at all, as I love it too much.

Fx'd (fingers crossed) for everyone today!

tyla
10-24-2013, 01:53 PM
Day 54! :woohoo:

laceyj
10-24-2013, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. Well, I got through Day 1 binge free, but we'll see how the rest of the week goes. I didn't eat much yesterday because if I eat a normal amount after a binge I am in soooo much pain.

Geoblewis, I don't think you overate. A bigger breakfast is not a bad thing, especially because you'll be more satiated throughout the day.

Rhiko- I think overeating can be difficult when you're studying for exams, especially because food can be used as a distraction or a way to procrastinate. I know I've done that before when I needed to complete something I don't want to do.

Mak78- That doesn't really sound too bingy to me. You didn't eat lunch and you were hungry! Maybe not the healthiest choices, but as long as you didn't feel out of control I would just roll with it.

Glad to be here, have a great day everyone!

tarabella
10-25-2013, 03:33 AM
I like this forum!

Thanks for the replies everyone. I am filled with happy hormones so I feel good despite the painful buzzing annoyance of overeating and stress over it. I still overate significantly today and have decided my mantra, besides one day at a time, is NO SWEET NO NUTS NO IFS NO BUTS. That's may aim for tomorrow. I'm not going to count calories for a while, but strictly abstain from these foods that I inevitably overeat, and try to eat only when I am actually hungry.

Rhiko Good to see you here my kiwi friend, I was just reading you elsewhere- you have done so great this year wow I am impressed. I also ran my first 10km in the last couple of months so I get that achievement, its a big one. I am not running now because of pregnancy and miss it already.

thesame7lbs
10-25-2013, 12:44 PM
Hello everyone,

I am so disappointed to share that I binged yesterday. Not the worst binge in history, but it was beyond "just overeating" or "just going off plan." Today is a new day. I feel like I got it out of my system -- I certainly do not feel a need to eat candy corn again any time soon. :( Today I am focusing on clean, healthful foods that make my body feel good.

Tarabella, CONGRATS! I found pregnancy rather freeing from the food obsession grind because I stopped restricting. (In fact, I told my DH last year that if he wasn't "fixed," I'd be lobbying to have a baby just for the freedom from dieting). Having gone through it three times, my advice would be to focus on *healthy* food and not worry so much about quantity within reason. There is a good bit of research that the food choices you make during pregnancy and even while breastfeeding influence your child's preferences (no pressure there! ;)), so avoiding tons of sugar is a good idea. Lots of veggies and fruits, smoothies, protein, no canned tuna! I ran my first 10K just before finding out I was pregnant with DD#2, and I was so sad to give up running, too! Don't worry, it will still be there when your beautiful baby is ready for a jog stroller!

Momwithdogs, OMG are your kids 15 years apart!?!?! I think you just may be bat !@#$ crazy! I'm 13 years younger than my oldest sister (my other sibs are 12, 10 and 8 years older than I am), but let me assure you, my parents did not do that on purpose! ;)

:wave: to everyone else, I've got to run. Not literally, since my !@#$ knee is still messed up. Just off to daughters' school to volunteer.

Wishing everyone a good, healthy, happy day!

tyla
10-25-2013, 01:01 PM
Day 55 - no bingeing! :woohoo:

momwithdogs
10-25-2013, 01:30 PM
Momwithdogs, OMG are your kids 15 years apart!?!?! I think you just may be bat !@#$ crazy! I'm 13 years younger than my oldest sister (my other sibs are 12, 10 and 8 years older than I am), but let me assure you, my parents did not do that on purpose! ;)!

You read that right, lol!

My DH and I had one starting driver's ed while shopping for car seats for the other.:dizzy:

momwithdogs
10-25-2013, 01:34 PM
It's still Friday morning, well at least for me, and I want to wish everyone a fab (yet early) start to the weekend!:hug:

mamato2boys
10-25-2013, 11:29 PM
Hey everyone!

I'm jumping back in. I had my little girl almost 1 year ago, and when I was pregnant with her, I totally fell off the binging wagon.
Time to be held accountable again and get this under control!!

Once again, so thankful for this group.!!!!

tarabella
10-26-2013, 05:35 AM
Welcome back mama, and thanks for the replies everyone else. :hug:

So far today I have stayed on plan and not overeaten for the first time in a long time. WoW! Throwing out all my trigger foods in the last couple of days helped for sure, though I am still tempted to have my favourite "healthy" dessert tonight even though that will put me well over my calories... I mix up 10g Peanut Butter, a scoop of Sun Warrior chocolate protein powder, crush a few cacao nibs and a titch of himalayan salt, and add 1/2 a Tbsp coconut syrup and enough water to make a thick paste...It is sooooo good and helps me abstain from regular chocolate and other treats but it is pretty addictive too and well too much food is too much food no matter how healthy it is!

I will grit my teeth and get a cup of rooibos chai instead. JUST TODAY.. tomorrow I can have it again I promise me.

Day 3 BINGE FREE yay me.

tyla
10-26-2013, 10:24 AM
Welcome, Mama!

Day 56! :woohoo:

mamato2boys
10-26-2013, 07:14 PM
Thanks guys!!! Going in Day 2!!!

Throwing out triggers def helped me too!

Mrs Snark
10-27-2013, 06:50 AM
How is everyone doing? I'm having a busy weekend with a friend from out of town staying with me. I turned 46 on Friday and ran a 5k that night and really had a great time doing it! My first race since I injured my back a few years ago. I'm afraid my finish line photo is going to look RIDICULOUS since I was really hamming it up as I crossed the line.

We are actually doing pretty good food-wise. Certainly no binges and very reasonable with the snacks and meals. Lots of fruit. I've had more carbs than I'm used to but so far haven't had a huge problem feeling triggered and we've been very active which helps.

I'll catch up on the thread later tonight, just wanted to pop in to say I hadn't fallen off the planet or anything! I'm still staying on track and sending out positive vibes to everyone to STAY STRONG!

Tyla -- day 56, AWESOME!!!

tyla
10-27-2013, 11:44 AM
Day 57! :woohoo:

Thank you, MrsSnark! Happy Belated Birthday and congrats on running a 5 K! You rock!! :bravo: :congrat: :dancer:

laceyj
10-27-2013, 01:47 PM
Hi everyone! Unfortunately I haven't had a great couple of days. Won't go into specifics because it's embarrassing but I think I'm just having one of those weeks. It's been okay today and I'm committed to getting through without a binge today. I need to give my tummy a break. I was really down last night but my outlook is a lot more positive today, especially with my Sunday morning Americano.

Mrs Snark: Sounds like a great weekend! I would love to see that photo :) Maybe more carbs than you were used to but they are great for running!

Tarabella: Good for you for throwing out those trigger foods! I just did today (PB) and have resolved not to buy it for a month.

Have a great day everyone!

Rhiko
10-27-2013, 09:42 PM
Last week was a bad week, but now I'm in my summer break, I'll have more time to concentrate on what I'm eating!

Rhiko Good to see you here my kiwi friend, I was just reading you elsewhere- you have done so great this year wow I am impressed. I also ran my first 10km in the last couple of months so I get that achievement, its a big one. I am not running now because of pregnancy and miss it already.
Hello :)

Thank you. Sorry I haven't replied, I've been away for the weekend and ignoring my computer since my exam finished Friday 5pm lol
Congratulations on your pregnancy :D I'll do the same if/when my time comes, but the getting back into running won't be so hard the second time because we've already pushed through our mental barriers the first time. ;) If you're like me, you'll want to get your fitness back a.s.a.p.

ILoveVegetables
10-28-2013, 12:59 AM
Hi guys, hope everyone's doing great.

I've had an ok couple of days. I really feel like I need to get back into exercising half an hour each day because it helps me to control my eating (because I feel like my exercise would go to waste). I went out for beer last night with some friends and had about 500-600 ml of it, and decided not to have dinner to make up for that. I don't know how healthy that is, but I figured it's ok just once. My weight's holding steady at 210 or 210.5 lbs, but I'd really like to at least get below 210 once and for all by the end of the month.

thesame7lbs
10-28-2013, 01:46 AM
Hello everyone!

Hope everyone is feeling good today. My weekend was busy and pretty good. I ran a 5k with my dog on Saturday. It was a fundraiser for the rescue where we adopted her. I wasn't even sure if I would do it or not as my knee was still bothering me and my dog is more a sprinter than a distance girl. :) But I woke up early on Saturday morning and figured if my knee was bothering me, she'd be happy to walk. We ended up running the whole race with a couple water stops (for her) in 28:32. Today I woke up at my highest weight in weeks, the result of really lazy eating and not tracking at all. It was the kick in the pants I needed, I guess, because I have been perfectly on plan today, even with a candy, cookie, and cupcake-filled Halloween party this afternoon. And I ran 5 miles. :)

ILoveVegetables, I agree that exercise helps! I think part of my problem the last two weeks is that I haven't been running.

Rhiko, yay for summer break! I find summer is a good time to focus on healthy eating -- fresh produce, skimpy clothes, etc.

Tyla, congrats on day 57!

Mama, congrats on day 2!

Tarabella, congrats on day 3!

LaceyJ, Momwithdogs, and anyone else stopping by -- :wave:

Wishing everyone a great day!

Mrs Snark
10-28-2013, 09:49 AM
7lbs: I'm now jealous of BOTH your finish time and your dog's finish time. That's just awesome! Congrats!

momwithdogs
10-28-2013, 11:58 AM
Happy Belated Birthday, Mrs Snark!!:D:hug:

7- Fab job!:carrot:

Ladies, thank you for giving me somewhere to vent.:hug: Wish I could say it was an OP weekend, but not so much. Nothing in particular set me off and I knew I was overeating the entire weekend.

Here's to a new week!:dizzy:

Mrs Snark
10-28-2013, 12:24 PM
Thank you momwithdogs!

I'm sorry you had a rough weekend, hang in there. Today is a new day to treat yourself right! You can do it!

davina
10-28-2013, 03:46 PM
hi. I weighed myself a few days ago and hit an all time high of 290. I don't want to see a 3 on my scale so i have to really commit. I'm confused on how to proceed. I binge and complusively overeat since pre teen and I am in early 30's now. I feel like weight loss surgery is my only hope so I feel physically too stuffed to eat .. I went to see a ED therapist about it a few times and it was helping, but they advocate not removing entire food groups but feel addicted to carbs as my biggest weakness so I think removing them is best. Maybe just sticking to the brown whole grain stuff would be best. I also go to online OA meetings on occasion but they don't help. I feel really out of control with my eating, hopefully reading others experiences will be helpful.

tarabella
10-28-2013, 05:37 PM
Hi girls and HAPPY BIRTHDAY MRS SNARK!!! Awesome running weekend for a few, great stuff...

I binged yesterday again blah feel foggy this morning.

Welcome Davina- My therapist has encouraged me to eat 6 meals a day and build in treats- and it is not working! I am just gaining. I think cutting out problem foods entirely is the best way to go and I have had success with that in the past. We don't have a problem with variety of foods available so cutting out some is not going to hurt, at least until we build the confidence and belief in ourselves and can reintroduce them cautiously. That's my plan now anyway.

I have had another overeating/binging couple of days and have gained about 3lbs. I know given the slightest excuse I overeat and knowing I am pregnant has meant I have eaten things I normally avoid like cake and chocolates:(as well as my normal food. I am not far enough along yet for this belly to be baby it's all fat. I am getting rid of the peanut butter and coconut syrup today- I was holding onto one last treat but moderation is not my game.

davina
10-28-2013, 06:31 PM
Thanks Tarabella. I think I've posted this in the wrong forum as it says binge and COE-FREE, sorry don't want to be a downer on uplifting forums.

I like your idea of 6 meals, the one thing that helped when I was seeing therapist was eating on the clock and not more than 3 hours max 4 apart with snack.
I don't really know how to space out my 3 bigger meals to 6 though, will have to look into that.

tyla
10-28-2013, 11:15 PM
Welcome, davina!

Just got back from Zumba class (an hour) and did a 30 min DVD of weights. Feeling pretty good about those accomplishments. It's also Day 58 of self- control! :yay:

7lbs., good to see you! Congrats on running several miles! :bravo:

MrsSnark, congrats on your running adventures, too. :congrat:

Looks like everyone is doing pretty well.

Mrs Snark
10-29-2013, 11:56 AM
hi. I weighed myself a few days ago and hit an all time high of 290. I don't want to see a 3 on my scale so i have to really commit. I'm confused on how to proceed. I binge and complusively overeat since pre teen and I am in early 30's now. I feel like weight loss surgery is my only hope so I feel physically too stuffed to eat .. I went to see a ED therapist about it a few times and it was helping, but they advocate not removing entire food groups but feel addicted to carbs as my biggest weakness so I think removing them is best. Maybe just sticking to the brown whole grain stuff would be best. I also go to online OA meetings on occasion but they don't help. I feel really out of control with my eating, hopefully reading others experiences will be helpful.

Welcome Davina! I hope you are finding commonalities as you read through this forum, lots of good information and strategies in here. It would be very difficult for me to be binge-free without giving up the carby-salty snacks, so I can understand why you want to give them up as well.

Hi girls and HAPPY BIRTHDAY MRS SNARK!!!

Thanks so much tarabella!!! I was thinking about the 6 meals a day plus treats thing. I can't do that, at all. It is way too much interfacing with food for me (as always, we are all different!). I do much better with 3 meals a day. I know hunger is our enemy, so often it is suggested to eat smaller meals more frequently, but I find if I eat quality foods at those 3 meals I avoid alot of hunger issues. Very occasionally, I'll have a piece of fruit between meals, usually if I run in the afternoon instead of them morning.

As for getting rid of the pb/coconut treat, maybe you can find something slightly less good (i.e. less triggery!) that still feels treaty? I do a frozen banana and natural pb sometimes, and while it is very tasty I never find myself obsessing on it or getting seconds. Winner winner winner, lol!

Just got back from Zumba class (an hour) and did a 30 min DVD of weights. Feeling pretty good about those accomplishments. It's also Day 58 of self- control! :yay:

Day 58, so inspirational! :carrot: You seem to really be rockin' the Zumba!

thesame7lbs
10-29-2013, 01:49 PM
Hello everyone!

Welcome, Davina! I think you're on the right track to eliminate "white" carbs. They really just aren't good for our bodies. I think that generally therapists and nutritionist don't recommend removing entire food groups because 1) our bodies need those different groups and 2) it plays into the all-or-nothing mentality that many of us binge-eaters suffer from. One of my friends has had a lot of success by eating low-glycemic carbs, like berries, and eliminating high-glycemic carbs.

Tarabella, I agree with cutting out specific problem foods. For me, there are certain breakfast cereals that I simply will not buy. I just can't eat them in moderation. I have also cut way back on home baking for the same reason.

Mrs. Snark, belated happy birthday! I think a 5K is a great way to celebrate. I love the manatee pics on your blog -- how cool to have those in your backyard!

Tyla, :high: on 58 days! You are an inspiration!

:wave: to anyone else who is reading!

After two weeks that involved mostly off-plan eating and one binge, I have been back on track for two days. Yay for me! I have found that having deadlines is helpful for me. Not saying, "After x day, I can eat whatever I want, (because I can never eat whatever I want)" but more like breaking time up into reasonable chunks. Right now, I'm focusing on clean eating until Thanksgiving. I have a plan for Halloween -- one serving of a dessert I'm bringing to our neighbor's party, and no more than 2 drinks -- and for a birthday dinner the next night. Then, I will focus on the month between Thanksgiving and Christmas. That is absolutely my hardest time of year, and I will have to set some specific, reasonable goals and really focus on coping mechanisms other than food.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day!

Speciallizzie
10-29-2013, 04:58 PM
Glad to see im not the only binger. Sugary food, chocolate, biscuits, cake nothing is safe. Then the epic self loathing post binge. Cant do a week without at least one!! Help!!

Mrs Snark
10-29-2013, 05:12 PM
Welcome Lizzie!

Have a look through this forum and through this thread and you'll see lots of personal stories and strategies for tackling the binge issue! Lots of good information here!

Mrs Snark
10-30-2013, 08:18 AM
We were pretty quiet yesterday, hopefully that was a good thing? Everyone doing ok and hanging in there? I can't believe we are almost to the end of October!

7lbs -- congrats on getting back into the "the groove" as I think of it. The deadlines and event planning help me as well. They make life seem so much more manageable! And thanks for the birthday wishes!