Old 09-29-2013, 02:24 PM   #1  
Ob-la-di, ob-la-da

Height: 5'2"

Default Prediabetic w/questions, thank you!

Hi ALL!

I've been diagnosed as having prediabetes. In my mind, it makes sense for me to consider myself as having diabetes. So as I have been reading up, partly I'm confused because of the various studies and books that say one thing and then another says something else, etc.

However, one thing that is consistent is that I need to lose weight. I am 5'2" and this morning I was 163. The upper goal weight for my height (and also, I'm almost 63) is 136. I feel if I can get down to at least 140 and maintain it, I'll be happy (then if I can get down to 136, even better). So far, I've lost 10 pounds (from 174 to 164) over the past month...but I seem to have slowed down now. Also, exercise, drink water, and eat low carb (some say eat low gylcemic).

Questions:

1. If you eat low carb, are you eating beans? (I love beans, and I'm semi-vegetarian, but some say 'yes' to beans for low carb and some say 'no' to beans).

2. Do you drink Diet Coke at all? Yes, I'm aware how horrible it is for us, but dang it, sometimes I just want something that tastes kind of sweet and sipping on a Diet Coke every few days seems to help me. I've totally eliminated sweet (like candy, donuts, etc.). I still eat some fruits.

3. Speaking of fruits. Do you allow yourself any fruits? Some say, yes to fruits (maybe 1 or 2 a day), some say to totally eliminate fruit.

4. Do you eat grains? Some say 'no' grains at all, some say 'yes' to whole grains, including oatmeal (steel cut). I will interject here, that one thing I have read is that if you are testing your blood sugar, to try something then test your level to see how you respond to a certain food...that everyone's body is different...I get that too. But since I'm not testing my blood sugars (yet), I'm trying to just eat the best I can right now.

5. Do you take any supplements that seem to help?

6. I'm going on a 4 day trip soon and I trying to eat small portions of food every 2-3 hours (protein + carb). I've tried to see if there are any protein bars that are low carb that might be OK to have on hand in case I'm hitting 3 hours and not able to eat. Suggestions?

7. Any books and/or cookbooks you recommend that have been most useful to you? Favorite websites for recipes, information, etc.?

IF you are still reading, bless you and THANK YOU! My head has been spinning with all that I've been trying to learn about how to eat and how to keep my blood sugars down.

THANK YOU for any suggestions and feedback. Even if you have just one suggestion, I will appreciate it so much! I realize that everyone is different and that what works for one person may or may not work for another and it is up to me to figure out what is going to work best for me..but, I feel like I need to educate myself the best I can so I can make the best choices for myself.
Cheree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:14 PM   #2  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheree View Post
Hi ALL!

I've been diagnosed as having prediabetes. In my mind, it makes sense for me to consider myself as having diabetes. So as I have been reading up, partly I'm confused because of the various studies and books that say one thing and then another says something else, etc.

However, one thing that is consistent is that I need to lose weight. I am 5'2" and this morning I was 163. The upper goal weight for my height (and also, I'm almost 63) is 136. I feel if I can get down to at least 140 and maintain it, I'll be happy (then if I can get down to 136, even better). So far, I've lost 10 pounds (from 174 to 164) over the past month...but I seem to have slowed down now. Also, exercise, drink water, and eat low carb (some say eat low gylcemic).

Questions:

1. If you eat low carb, are you eating beans? (I love beans, and I'm semi-vegetarian, but some say 'yes' to beans for low carb and some say 'no' to beans). I also am/was prediabetic. I bought a cheap glucometer and test strips at walmart and tested myself often. Like you say below, just keep eating and testing to see what works best for you. I don't eat beans, partly because of the gas issues and partly because I just don't like them very well.

2. Do you drink Diet Coke at all? Yes, I'm aware how horrible it is for us, but dang it, sometimes I just want something that tastes kind of sweet and sipping on a Diet Coke every few days seems to help me. I've totally eliminated sweet (like candy, donuts, etc.). I still eat some fruits.I LOVE diet sodas and drink them frequently. It hasn't seemed to stop my weight loss at all.

3. Speaking of fruits. Do you allow yourself any fruits? Some say, yes to fruits (maybe 1 or 2 a day), some say to totally eliminate fruit.I seemed to be fine with fruit although I dont' eat a lot of it. I try to get some in though, that I like. I'm just picky.

4. Do you eat grains? Some say 'no' grains at all, some say 'yes' to whole grains, including oatmeal (steel cut). I will interject here, that one thing I have read is that if you are testing your blood sugar, to try something then test your level to see how you respond to a certain food...that everyone's body is different...I get that too. But since I'm not testing my blood sugars (yet), I'm trying to just eat the best I can right now.Grains of all kinds seemed to make my blood sugar readings higher. However I still have some grains and try to stick with the whole grain kind. I also try to stick with brown rice although my family insists on white rice.

5. Do you take any supplements that seem to help? I take supplements but they don't seem to make a difference. I take a multivitamin. Probiotics sometimes. And try for Vitamin D in the wintertime here.

6. I'm going on a 4 day trip soon and I trying to eat small portions of food every 2-3 hours (protein + carb). I've tried to see if there are any protein bars that are low carb that might be OK to have on hand in case I'm hitting 3 hours and not able to eat. Suggestions? I like the Pure Protein brand of bars although I don't know the carb count. They are a good balance of low-calorie and high-protein.

7. Any books and/or cookbooks you recommend that have been most useful to you? Favorite websites for recipes, information, etc.? There are good low carb cooking websites out there. I like the one called Lighter Side of Low Carb.

IF you are still reading, bless you and THANK YOU! My head has been spinning with all that I've been trying to learn about how to eat and how to keep my blood sugars down.

THANK YOU for any suggestions and feedback. Even if you have just one suggestion, I will appreciate it so much! I realize that everyone is different and that what works for one person may or may not work for another and it is up to me to figure out what is going to work best for me..but, I feel like I need to educate myself the best I can so I can make the best choices for myself.
I put my answers in bold up there. Hope some of that helps!
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:21 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Hi Cheree. I do not have pre-diabetes, but I do have hypoglycemia, which some people believes is a precursor. I am on a low-carb diet, and here are my answers to your questions. I do eat beans (and since you are semi-vegetarian, I think it's important that you do too). I drink Diet Dr. Pepper every day (like you with Diet Coke, it's the one sweet taste I don't want to do without). I eat fruits and grains only one day a week. I take vitamin D3 (it's prescribed, although it can be bought off the shelf). I've read recently that it does factor into weight management and almost everyone is deficient in it. I don't know of any protein bars because I don't eat them. I'd be more likely to pack celery and peanut butter. This is my favorite website for recipes, etc. You might also check out Pinterest. Good luck! I know it seems overwhelming right now, but you can do this and get your pre-diabetes under control!
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:22 PM   #4  
Started IP May 17, 2013

S/C/G: 287/179/150

Height: 5'7.5"

Diet coke? In some people, aspartame causes blood sugar spikes which:

A) cause food cravings
B) are what low carb works to diminish. By going low carb but continuing to use aspartame can erase some of the good effect of low carb.
C) are unhealthy.

Besides that, lots of evidence shows that artificial sweeteners have other nasty side effects.

Better to go with a natural sweetener like stevia.

Caution about stevia: some brands are bitter. If you don't like one kind, try another. I like NOW liquid and powdered as well as Organika.

You can make your own 'soda' by using carbonated water, some stevia and flavouring. I use lemon juice for flavour.
Annik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:08 AM   #5  

Location: Anchorage AK in the summer, Lawrence KS and travel in the winter

S/C/G: High 285+ 256/ticker/160ish

Height: 5'6"

I've been diagnosed as having prediabetes. In my mind, it makes sense for me to consider myself as having diabetes.

Good idea. You may stave off the actual diagnosis if you take care of it now.

Also, exercise, drink water, and eat low carb (some say eat low gylcemic).

Low glycemic will help keep your blood glucose from spiking. Protein, fat and fiber will also "slow down" glucose spikes made by eating higher carb/glycemic items. It's best to eat carbs with these things for better stability.

I don't eat many dry type of beans. I like them but they don't like me much. Green or wax type of beans are great food for diabetics.

I enjoy a diet soda occasionally. We like the zero carb Monster that is sweetened with sucralose (Splenda) and Stevia sweetened sodas but the latter is an acquired taste.

I tend to stay away from grains. They gas me up more than beans and tend to trigger cravings. The very worst BG reading I've had was right after eating a plain bagel. It seems I have a huge problem with simple starches. While I love steel cut oats, that stuff is like crack to me but I'm fine with fruit.

No protein bar recs here. My go to protein is a boiled egg or peanut butter/celery or 1% cottage cheese. Years ago I tried the Atkins bars but I don't know if they make them any more. They had one with coconut that was decent.

Good luck to you.
vintagecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:00 PM   #6  
Ob-la-di, ob-la-da

Height: 5'2"

Thank you so much for taking the time for your thoughtful and informative responses, I sincerely appreciate it. I've been doing so much research, I just needed to get the input from some "real" people who are going through this. I know it's up to me to eventually figure out what I can and cannot eat. This is giving me a great basis for starting to do my best to control my blood sugars the best I can.

Thank you again! I hope I can contribute and help others as well on this journey.

Cheree is offline   Reply With Quote