100 lb. Club - Losing Weight is Only Half of It
06-26-2003, 07:33 PM
During the "process," we sometimes get so hung up on the weightloss part, we forget why else we're doing this. It's not just to "look good in a swim suit" or "fit into normal clothes," there are also some other much more serious and exciting reason.
I'd like a reminder of those reasons.
Losing weight is only half of it, tell me what you're gaining!
06-26-2003, 07:38 PM
Here are mine:
1) I want to dance until I'm so old that they refer to me as "the old little bitty that can keep up." I don't want to be the old lady that is not only house bound but chair bound. I want to kick up my heels until heels kick up over me.
2) I'm not a big fan of disease. Heart disease in particular. It's a nasty disease and my family has a history of it. I want to be able to beat the stupid legacy. Exercise my way to the top and stomp it down. I have great clevage, who wants those open heart surgery scars?
06-26-2003, 07:46 PM
Well, I'm doing it so if I ever have a heart attack, the paramedics will be able to carry me out. I'm not joking--that really has occurred to me!
I want to be able to walk down the steep hill to the beach and back up gain without huffing and puffing.
I want to keep the knees I was born with.
I want to go in a room and not feel that I'm the biggest person there. (Weight Watchers meetings are really good for that, actually.)
I want to be around to see if my other two kids give me grandchildren.
I want to be around to see my kids get to be the same age I am now (or possibly older), and see "how it turns out" for them.
I already have a life-altering health problem and I don't want weight, and any weight-related illness, to be the second one.
06-26-2003, 08:07 PM
I want to be able to be that cool mom who rides all the rides and keeps up with her kids. I want to know my grandchildren. I want to know for once what its like to walk down the street and WANT to have people look at me.....
06-27-2003, 01:36 AM
I want to be able to be healthy and feel good again. I hope that when I lose some of this weight, that I won't feel so stiff, and that maybe I will be free from the pain in my joints and my feet. (I am a nurse, and I work with the elderly ~ some of them get around better than I do.)
I want to be able to play with my little grandson and get down on the floor if that is where you play the game ~ instead of requesting that we play the game at the table. (Thank goodness he did not ask for a "horsy ride" down on my hands and knees this year.)
I want to be able to have pictures that are taken of me not turn out with me looking like Jaba the hut (sp?). LOL.
06-27-2003, 11:37 AM
I'd like to live to see all 5 of my granddaughters marry. I want to welcome my great-grandkids to the world. I WANT TO FEEL BETTER.
06-27-2003, 12:02 PM
I have learned that my physical health and condition DOES matter, for if you don't have your health, you can't have all the important things we try to stay healthy for (love, laughter, music, children, etc.)
I am learning, after years of self-loathing, to LOVE MYSELF. Take care of me, and people will want to love me all the more.
Great topic!!! :D
06-28-2003, 03:04 AM
Be a good role model
Increase stamina for travel
Allow my kids to be proud of me in public
Keep my husband interested
Save money on BP medication
Wear "skinny clothes" and "medium ones" already in closet
Wear higher heels again
06-28-2003, 08:27 PM
Goddess, thank you for making me think of this, so here goes:
1. I do not want to die at 38 like my mother. Cancer SCARES the you know what out of me, and by being fat, I just make my chances greater for getting it!
2. I want my children to continue to be proud of me. I would hate for them to not want their friends to see mom because she is fat.
3. I do want to look good and be able to buy the cheeper in style clothing.
4. I just want to stay healthy and happy.