Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 09-23-2013, 10:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 178/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Default I'd throw my scale across the room, but it's made of glass

Sorry for the rant, but I'm very frustrated with my scale. It's a Weight Watchers digital scale. I weigh myself daily just to make sure I'm staying on track. My problem is that it gives me readings that vary as much as 3 pounds depending on how and where it is positioned on the floor. I tried a little experiment where I weighed myself, put something heavy in my hands then reweighed, then weighed myself again (all without moving the scale). The final reading didn't match the first reading! I understand that scales should be placed on hard, level surfaces and that factors such as time of day, hydration levels, and even room temperature will affect readings. Does anyone have any sound advice for me here? Chucking the scale across the room is a consideration, but I frankly don't want the mess.
Moving Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 69kg/65/60

Height: 5ft

I bought a digital scale once. It did the same thing yours is doing. I got on, weighed 63, got off, got back on and weighed 1kg more! It varied on every weighing. I ended up taking it back and using my old non digital scales. They have to be manually moved into position as well, but at least I know and expect that, LOL.
happybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:54 PM   #3  

My scales have always done that. I don't believe it means that it's not accurate.

1st: step on (least accurate from my experience)
2nd: step on but add weight (like you mentioned)
3rd: step on again (this # should be accurate; repeat to confirm)

Digital scales are quirky!!
earthecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:04 AM   #4  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

I am in the market for a new scale. Being on weight watchers I naturally thought of their scale, but the reviews say pretty much what you just said :/

Unfortunately most of the scales I am looking at that are under $50 have the same reviews. If anyone finds one that they like and is reliable and...won't cost a small fortune, it would be nice to have a trusted less anonymous review and recommendation!
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:24 AM   #5  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

I have a pair of WW digital scales. The instructions said to set them before getting on. I put one foot on and press, then remove foot. The display shows zero and then I get on.

My problem is they are metal and getting rusty in the bathroom. Otherwise I quite like them, especially the large display.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:22 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

In my case, like with everything else, "you get what you pay for". I wanted an accurate tough scale because I did weigh daily and wanted the scale to be a valuable tool in my weight loss.

I bought a "Salter" digital scale 8 years ago from a department store for about $100 Canadian. It has been accurate (with setting before you weigh, like silverbirch said) for all of the time I've had it and requires the battery changed about every 3 years (I don't weigh daily any more). It's metal and plastic but we keep it in the bathroom vanity (tiny floor space and awkward otherwise) so it hasn't got a speck of rust on it.

It's got a big display and allows you to weigh in lbs. or kgs.

Dagmar :
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:34 AM   #7  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

My experience with digital scales is that the batteries seem to have way too much to do with the accuracy. When mine has fresh batteries, it is very repeatable even on carpet. 6-month old batteries ... it does weird things.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote