Living Maintenance - Maintainers Weekly Chat September 23 - September 29

BillBlueEyes
09-23-2013, 06:51 AM
Happy Fall!!!

DW pointed out some leaves that were turning when we were out walking yesterday - lest I remain in my summer thinking mode forever.

We put on a 'slide show' of our Redwood Tree visit to the west coast last night for our DS and his SO. They were good sports; we thoroughly enjoyed reliving the visit. Maybe I'll start a business selling cardboard cutouts of your friends and relatives so people can have someone to show their vacation pictures to without threatening relationships.

Mudpie
09-23-2013, 08:34 AM
Good idea with the cutouts Bill. I'd like one of myself for those events when I'd rather be doing something else.

Summer is most definitely over up here - for now. I tested my new L.L. Bean jacket out both on the weekend (for rain) and will wear it today for "crisp" fall weather without the down liner.

DH waited all day at the new house for delivery of the hardwood flooring. It was scheduled to arrive between 10 a.m. -noon. He kept calling the retailers and they assured him it would be "just another hour". Meanwhile they had sent the poor driver (sub-contracted) to Maple, ON as there is a Crescent out there with the same name as our Avenue. Or maybe it was because he was carrying maple flooring?

The stuff finally arrived at 6 p.m. DH and I then found out that we had to unload it from the skid and carry it inside. The retailers had gone home @ 4 and we couldn't fault the poor driver.

So we lugged boxes of hardwood in the pouring rain. 840 sq. ft. is a lot! Then yesterday we had to take half of it upstairs.

I'm so glad I work out.

Good Monday all!

Dagmar :cool:

paperclippy
09-23-2013, 08:57 AM
Morning everyone! Another crazy busy week at work awaits. Deadline is in two weeks.

Megan, how is your furbaby doing with the antibiotics? Better I hope?

Life is a rollercoaster with babies. We vascillate between them being absolutely adorable and charming and then screaming their heads off and refusing to nurse (they take a bottle fine). It's very frustrating to have them do so well at some feedings and so poorly at others, and I feel bad when we all have a meltdown and I yell at them even though I know 1) they're not doing it on purpose and 2) they don't understand what I'm saying anyway. But this morning went very well, so I'm hopeful that I'm finding a formula for what works.

Megan1982
09-23-2013, 10:36 AM
It's another rainy day here and I'm excited for day 2 of my black bean soup lunch. My cast had our first night of blocking last night (that is, walking around our laid out "stage" area while we say the lines, figuring out where people need to move so it looks good and they're not standing in front of each other, etc.). It went really well but I think I need a little board with markers for each character when I go through it with just a script at home. There are many points when all 10 characters are on stage together. That's a lot of people on stage! I have extra hours from the end of last week so I think I'll leave early so I can work out, then head home to work on more blocking. If the rain lets up there will be a dog walk in there. Right now it's not promising.

Jessica, I guess Emma is doing better, thanks for asking. She wasn't showing many symptoms before, but she hasn't peed in the house again. I think she's getting used to my forcing the antibiotic down her throat (you have to do the pry jaws open and throw pill down the hatch, hold mouth shut, force swallow by stroking throat method with her) since she gets a treat after. She is not fond of my baby wiping her nether regions. :dizzy:

Aww, Jessica, I know you & DH are doing the best you can! Life will be chaotic with two babies, no matter what you do. I don't have kids but I'm pretty certain of that. My sis tells me there is a steep learning curve for parenting. How does Carter like his new siblings?

Dagmar, carrying all that hardwood sounds like an excellent "functional fitness" workout. I'm sure once the flooring is down that will make you appreciate it all the more.

Bill, got any good redwood pics to share with us? I miss fall colors. Inhale that fall smell for me, would you? You know the one I mean. When the evening is a little cool and the sun is setting and the dew is making the earth and the changing leaves smell... fall-y.

Have a good Monday all. :D

alinnell
09-23-2013, 11:17 AM
Megan~can't you get some pill pockets for Emma? Pill Pockets (ww.amazon.com/Canine-Greenies-Pockets-Capsule-7-9-Ounce/dp/B008GRONV6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1379945647&sr=8-2&keywords=pill+pockets). They work great. Otherwise, try hiding it in some cheese.

Still feeling a little down emotionally since we took DS to get settled in his dorm. Watching last night's Emmy Awards allowed me to do some crying that I didn't have to blame on that. There were some real surprises last night.

Dagmar~I'm still getting used to the delivery schedule here in our new building. I was so used to Fed Ex showing up around noon and here we might not see him until 3 or 4 PM. Our vendors are pretty much the same as they were but one in particular is infuriatingly late every day he is scheduled to come here. When we say our delivery hours are 7 AM to 3 PM why do they insist on arriving at 5 PM?

Jessica~babies can be crazy at times! I remember DS deciding each and every night that 9 or 10 PM was AWAKE! time. Oh, how I wished I were in bed instead of trying to calm him. He was a bit colicky and often did projectile vomiting at this time of night. I'm certainly glad it didn't last long.

traveling michele
09-23-2013, 11:21 AM
Dagmar-- there's just about nothing as frustrating as waiting on contractors/repairmen.

We got our quotes from our tree guys last week. The bulk of the job needs to wait until the dead of winter thank goodness as the quotes floored me. We may do part of it sooner but I'd rather wait if possible.

Jessica-- I can only imagine how difficult it must be. I can remember with my first dd--we had a wedding to go to when she was 10 days old. We spent the whole day trying to get ready. Feeding, changing, trying to get ourselves ready, trying to pack everything to bring her (she came to the wedding)-- I was post C-section so still sore-- it was almost comical but not quite.

My weight is up over the weekend. Sigh. When dh is home it is always a struggle for me. Either we go out more (Friday and Saturday night both) or he cooks delicious meals (last night). I'm so far past my redline I don't know what to call it. I thought I'd had the s**t scared out of me with my weight but I guess not yet. Feeling very poochy at work today.

Plus I ran on Friday and my knee has hurt since and is swollen. Bugger!

Megan1982
09-23-2013, 12:17 PM
Megan~can't you get some pill pockets for Emma? Pill Pockets (ww.amazon.com/Canine-Greenies-Pockets-Capsule-7-9-Ounce/dp/B008GRONV6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1379945647&sr=8-2&keywords=pill+pockets). They work great. Otherwise, try hiding it in some cheese.

Nope. Emma east whatever chicken/cheese/pill pocket vessel the pill is being delivered in, then spits the pill out. If only it were so easy.

bargoo
09-23-2013, 05:09 PM
Nope. Emma east whatever chicken/cheese/pill pocket vessel the pill is being delivered in, then spits the pill out. If only it were so easy.

Hot dogs work pretty well. stuff that pill way down inside,

bargoo
09-23-2013, 05:11 PM
Bill, I have been waiting for a West Coast Travelogue....waiting patiently.

Mudpie
09-23-2013, 05:32 PM
Bill, I have been waiting for a West Coast Travelogue....waiting patiently.

And pics of the trees and the whales!

Dagmar :twirly:

BillBlueEyes
09-23-2013, 05:37 PM
Jurassic Park - California Redwoods, 2013

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff467/BlueGrebe/IMG_2649.jpg

BillBlueEyes
09-23-2013, 05:41 PM
Single Redwood towers over us. California 2013

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff467/BlueGrebe/IMG_2564.jpg

BillBlueEyes
09-23-2013, 05:43 PM
Redwoods spaced only a few feet apart. California, 2013

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff467/BlueGrebe/IMG_2588.jpg

silverbirch
09-23-2013, 05:56 PM
My goodness.

Mudpie
09-23-2013, 07:54 PM
Totally awesome trees! Awesome being inspiring a reverential wonder. Did you feel like you had to view them in silence Bill?

Dagmar :cool:

bargoo
09-23-2013, 08:00 PM
Bill, Now that is what I expected of you. Thanks !

Shannon in ATL
09-24-2013, 09:31 AM
Oh Bill, those are beautiful. I can't imagine standing next to them.

krampus
09-24-2013, 01:51 PM
Incredible photos Bill! :D

In really exciting news, I have had an AWFUL month of um monthlies this month. I don't have super regular cycles to begin with but this was a particularly long one, I think about 50 days between periods, and I felt like I had Bipolar 1 for about two weeks. Still not feeling terribly emotionally stable.

But Rusty/Dekopon's scab is better and he seems to be very happy these days. Still gets a squirt of antibiotic in his food every morning and still cute as a button with a kitten face.

michele - sorry you are struggling and still above redline AND your knee hurts. There seems to be no justice in the world of diet and exercise sometimes.

Megan, is this a pill you can mash up into pieces and stick in dry food? I hope you figure out a system that works and Emma gets better!

alinnell - my dad called me BAWLING my second night of college. Hang in there!

Jessica - no wisdom, just positive vibes for getting through each day with two little people!

Dagmar, that's my favorite side effect of working out - being able to do manual labor without getting wiped out.

Shannon in ATL
09-24-2013, 02:04 PM
Dagmar - functional fitness is a great thing! Love it. We built a gazebo and put out 100 paving stones on Memorial Day and I was in much better shape afterward than I expected to be.

Krampus - glad the kitty is doing well, hope your mood settles out. Are you on any medication that causes the long gaps?

Michele - :hug: no great advice, just I feel your pain.

Megan - I hate giving pets medication.

Allison - it is always hard when the kids go off to school, I'm sure DS is struggling a little as well. Crying is okay. :)

Jessica - we had trouble with one baby only at our house part time, I can't imagine two. I'm sorry that they are having eating troubles. Our neighbors with newborns are both having issues as well. More positive vibes your way from here, too.

Bill - I just had to scroll back and look at your pictures again. I think I may print one off and hang on the wall in my office - they leave me a little awestruck and realizing my own place is a lot smaller than I realize in the big picture, which is a good thing right now.

We had a high food weekend - DH hit a plateau and often busts it with a break the low cycle calorie day. I went too far on Saturday, and then had some junk on Sunday and then again on Monday, so feel kind of ick. I will say, I think I'm going to do the chocosludge lunch today just to try to feel better again. :)

krampus
09-24-2013, 02:25 PM
What is chocosludge, Shannon? I'm not on any meds, no BC or anything, I've just never been regular...

Shannon in ATL
09-24-2013, 02:29 PM
This is chocosludge:
Garden of Life Raw Meal (http://www.amazon.com/Garden-Life-Organic-Chocolate-Pound/dp/B007S6Y6VS)

DH got me started on it last week, he's been using it for over a week and claims he feels great - I tend to call it chocosludge because it is thick and kind of icky.

alinnell
09-24-2013, 02:45 PM
Krampus~you need to show us photos of the kitty!!

DS just sent me a Facebook message:

Your care package came in very handy today! I slept in cause of donating blood and being very tired. When I finally went to take a shower, the fire alarm went off (i was drying off)
Well they closed right as the alarm went off, and didn't stay open later as the RA people from all the halls requested
Turns out it was a drill, so we had to wait out in a field for a while, I got back, and our RA was promising to take us back to the food court
So I'm eating some oatmeal.

Today is their attempt at the world's largest squirt gun fight.

My BFF in Arizona has invited me to do a half-marathon in January. Gawd, I don't think I could do a 5k at this point. DD and her fiance are planning on going. They had been planning to do a half in December but this gives them an extra month for training. They're in much better shape than I.

Mudpie
09-24-2013, 05:18 PM
This is chocosludge:
Garden of Life Raw Meal (http://www.amazon.com/Garden-Life-Organic-Chocolate-Pound/dp/B007S6Y6VS)

DH got me started on it last week, he's been using it for over a week and claims he feels great - I tend to call it chocosludge because it is thick and kind of icky.

RAW seems to be the new buzz word - for people AND pets. Personally I prefer most of my food cooked. And if this stuff is a powder, how is it raw? Or organic - I imagine its got the heck processed out of it's ingredients, whatever state they started in.

Dagmar :?:

traveling michele
09-24-2013, 06:21 PM
My BFF in Arizona has invited me to do a half-marathon in January. Gawd, I don't think I could do a 5k at this point. DD and her fiance are planning on going. They had been planning to do a half in December but this gives them an extra month for training. They're in much better shape than I.

I'm with you there Allison! I signed up to do a half next month (I could have done a 5K but NO... thought I would challenge myself). I HATE HATE HATE running so I usually don't. Ran Friday because I figured I better start somewhere-- made it less than 4 miles and was dying... and my knee has hurt since. Ugh. Wish I hadn't felt like a challenge when I signed up. I CAN walk it as long as I walk fast (there is a time limit). I was thinking I would walk and jog but we'll see.....:p

alinnell
09-24-2013, 06:38 PM
Michele~while I don't necessarily hate running I am finding it hard to get motivated to do so. Yeah, treadmill running (or jogging as I don't really run) is easy for me to figure out, but I really need to do real outdoor running. My non-motivation comes from not wanting to hurt my dog's feelings (does that sound odd?). With his lung mets he just can't withstand a short walk let alone a run! And I can't leave him behind and take Misty--he'd go bonkers. And I'm not the kind to do it alone. So treadmill it will be, but I seriously doubt my ability to get back in shape that quickly. Even when I was doing the c25k thing, I only twice was ever able to run a full 5k. I usually broke it up with a good 2 minute walk (or more) in the middle.

bargoo
09-24-2013, 06:39 PM
This is chocosludge:

Have you tried this ? Maybe this is what I need. The aftereffects of my chemo is lack of appetite, yet I know I need calories I have lost too much weight about 14 pounds I am going in reverse and don't like it.

saef
09-24-2013, 07:00 PM
RAW seems to be the new buzz word - for people AND pets. Personally I prefer most of my food cooked.

I can't see "raw" and "cooked" discussed as a larger way of thinking without it calling to mind the poet Robert Lowell (for whom formalists were "cooked" and the Beat poets were "raw"), which he probably based on the anthropologist Claude Levi-Strauss. Here's a NY Times encapsulation of Levi-Strauss' thinking:

“Raw” and “cooked” are shorthand terms meant to differentiate what is found in nature from what is a product of human culture. That dichotomy, Mr. LÚvi-Strauss believed, exists in all human societies. Part of what makes us human, however, is our need to reconcile those opposites, to find a balance between raw and cooked. But where is the dividing line between nature, which is emotional and instinctive, and culture, which is based on rules and conventions? In a metaphoric sense, a cook is a kind of mediator between those realms, transforming an object originally from the natural world into an item fit for human consumption. So by “cooked,” Mr. LÚvi-Strauss means anything that is socialized from its natural state. Yes, the definition of what is considered edible varies from one society or religious group to another. But all have binary structures that separate the raw and the cooked, the fresh and the rotten, the moist and the dry or burned.

With my corporate job, and my liking for Manhattan, antiques and pedicures, and my tendency to work out inside on machines & in classes, I'm gonna say that I'm pretty much part of the "cooked" school. But my dietary habits have gone in the opposite direction, toward "raw."

alinnell
09-24-2013, 07:09 PM
I don't think the stuff is meant for weight gain, bargoo. It has a lot of protein, though.

Count me as someone cooked. While I like a good salad it goes best as a side dish to something cooked.

bargoo
09-24-2013, 07:33 PM
I don't think the stuff is meant for weight gain, bargoo. It has a lot of protein, though.

If it has a calorie it is a weight gain for me,

Mudpie
09-25-2013, 06:17 AM
If it has a calorie it is a weight gain for me,

I think fat has the "densest" calories - those which are most likely stored by the body as weight? Have you tried to eat PB and J sandwiches? Or just PB or any of the nut butters on slices of apple?

Dagmar :dizzy:

ICUwishing
09-25-2013, 09:16 AM
bargoo, do avocados sound appealing? Would you be, um, eligible for medical marijuana? I'm pretty sure you are exactly the candidate that it is meant to help. :hug: 14 pounds is a lot for your tinyness. I'm sitting here trying to think of healthy whole(r) foods that have some serious calorie density and I'm down to avocados and the nut family.

I probably took a huge leap into the "cooked" category - I will be taking delivery on a new far-infrared sauna in the next couple of weeks. And I will never ever EVER again buy a vehicle without heated seats, not while I still winter in Michigan. :lol:

alinnell
09-25-2013, 10:30 AM
Becky, I'm a fan of heated seats and I live in the desert! Actually, mine are heated AND cooled (and should I mention they also massage?).

bargoo, I know your taste buds are all whacked out and some or most things just don't taste like anything or they taste "off," but perhaps pudding and ice cream might help put some weight back on. I know when my Mom was having problems she'd eat ice cream several times a day. Of course, she loved ice cream and her taste buds were fine, but it did help. Good luck. We're rooting for you!

traveling michele
09-25-2013, 10:55 AM
Bargoo-- when my mom was going through chemo she was able to tolerate ice cream shakes from high end ice cream shops. My mom was anorexically thin her whole life so the chemo really brought her down to scary levels. What can you tolerate that is highly caloric? Hang in there....

Shannon in ATL
09-25-2013, 11:24 AM
Bargoo - I have had the chocolate raw meal, and it isn't bad at all. I read a lot of reviews that say it is good blended with ice and a banana - that would give it a lot of calorie impact for you in a format that has a lot of vitamin and not much junk in it, too. When my uncle was in chemo last year he tried a lot of the protein powders and ensure and such, but some of the artificial sweeteners made him sicker. The GOL isn't a weight gain thing per se, but it would give you the calories that you need. You could even throw in peanut butter. And it isn't bad just shaken in a shaker, if you want speed.

krampus
09-25-2013, 12:39 PM
There are a lot of weight gain products on the market that target skinny young men trying to bulk and put on muscle. Maybe those would be an option?

https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1239893_10100109907296775_523186355_n.jpg
Kittenface!

Megan1982
09-25-2013, 02:43 PM
Hi all,

I was trying to think of something to post and well, I'm just here. Things are not bad or good, I'm just trucking along, trying to stay on top of things and get enough sleep. I should note that I am quite happy I only have to pull out the healthy meals I prepped over the weekend for healthy lunches and dinners. *pat on back* My exercise is lacking, which means the dog's is too. I think she may go to daycare tomorrow. We will test out the new daycare owners and see if we like them.

I can't wait to get a car with bluetooth built in. See, I'm behind the times and a few years away from a new car. But if I ever lived in colder climates I'd definitely need the seat warmers and a remote start. Now, AC seats I think I'd like and could use right now. :D

Bargoo, I can only second the suggestions made by many. I was also thinking ice cream or smoothie type meals, because even when I'm not hungry, ice cream always sounds appealing to me. Avocados, ground flax seed or chia seed, wheat germ, peanut butter, oatmeal, full fat yogurt and milk in addition to fruit and/or ice cream would be a great way to add some calories. Do you have the energy to do this yourself or are you looking more for things that are pre-made? Heck, just get the ice cream and eat it straight from the tub. How about anything with cheese, too? Calories add up quickly there and again, well, cheese always sounds yummy to me. I like Becky's suggestion, too. ;)

neurodoc
09-25-2013, 11:09 PM
I don't care about seat warmers, but man I wish I had a car with a steering wheel warmer. All winter I have to drive either with gloves on, or a steering wheel cover (the latter of which is too bulky and makes the wheel hard to hold). Megan, my new car (Prius V 2013) comes with a bluetooth phone connection. It is indeed very nice, but not as seamless as you might wish - I still end up needing to interact with either my phone or the in-dash screen to select a specific line whenever it doesn't recognize my voice command, or if a person has more than one phone number.

Krampus, your kitty is adorable. And Bill, your tree photos are magnificent. I too have been to see redwood groves several times, and each time it is stunning all over again. I especially love the way they filter the light - did you see those amazing shafts of sunlight that penetrate where the trees are a bit further apart? I LOVE that. It feels like a movie set. Or the primeval forest.

Megan1982
09-25-2013, 11:34 PM
Krampus, when I posted earlier from my work computer for some reason your kitten picture didn't pop up. So cute! I love your new fur baby!

Shannon in ATL
09-26-2013, 10:10 AM
Megan - I had a remote start on my last car, and it was fantastic in the heat of summer. :)

Pretty kitty, Krampus!

krampus
09-26-2013, 02:03 PM
Wahwahwahwahwah. Sometimes it just feels like a huge drag to do the bare minimum to maintain and not feel like a blob. The past week has definitely been one of those times.

traveling michele
09-26-2013, 02:54 PM
Wahwahwahwahwah. Sometimes it just feels like a huge drag to do the bare minimum to maintain and not feel like a blob. The past week has definitely been one of those times.

That sounds like your nasty cycle talking. Hope you're feeling better soon.

TMI maybe but I must be ovulating today. Sometimes I get quite a pain on one side for a whole day. Quite annoying.....

krampus
09-26-2013, 04:14 PM
Sounds like Mittelschmerz: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mittelschmerz

Yeah, I hope it is that. But usually at this point I'm well into "ew, food" mode and feel very in control. We'll see!

Megan1982
09-26-2013, 04:37 PM
Are you sure, Krampus? Because I was thinking you should have some avocados, raw almonds, or a nice salad dressed in vinegar & olive oil. You know, as part of the "healthy fats cure all that ails you" theory. Michele, avocado? :D

Shannon in ATL
09-26-2013, 04:47 PM
Avocado! The next miracle cure!

If it catches on we should totally market it and sell on Dr. Oz.

traveling michele
09-26-2013, 06:42 PM
I'm not a big avocado fan believe it or not. I like guacamole though.... I actually use the trader joe's reduced guilt guacamole as a salad dressing and had some for lunch today.

Mudpie
09-27-2013, 06:35 AM
ARRRGH! All the stuff I've heard about renos is true. We now have a bathroom window installed. Except he didn't bother to finish the outside of it. And the new, longer spigot is installed in the bathtub. But now the shower on/off doesn't work. ARRRGH!

The flooring guy, who was supposed to be finished on Wed, still has most of the ground floor to do. Since DH got a verbal (!) quote for the work it's going to cost twice as much. And now that's going to hold up everything else.

AAAARGHHH!

Dagmar :tired: :tantrum:

saef
09-27-2013, 10:48 AM
Working or working out.

That's my life.

And my mother's coming on Sunday for a week-long visit. Oh Lawd. I'm so not prepared to undergo a kitchen inspection. And to cook meals for her while working all week, trying to catch up with all the emergencies getting thrown at me every day.

I'm taking off Columbus Day and the other four days of that week, and I feel like I'm dog-paddling through cold water toward that goal, with my head barely above the chop.

alinnell
09-27-2013, 11:37 AM
We've had a tree-trimming fiasco here. They guy who washes our cars has done our trees in the past. He and a guy named Max did an excellent job a few years back. Well, our trees needed a trim so DH called him (thinking Max would come as well). Instead he brought two other young guys (maybe early 20's). We asked them to trim our trees plus one tree in the neighbor's yard that is in dire need of a trim (they've moved out of state and lease their house out so don't know the condition). After just 3 trees we fired them. Ugh. What a mess! Our big tree was so butchered I will be amazed if it survives. Seriously, they left just one branch with leaves on it (and it was really the one that needed to be cut back the most). All the rest are stumps reaching into the air. The neighbor's tree is just okay. The third tree will be okay once spring hits. Meanwhile, the gardeners at our office also trimmed trees. 14 of them. And they're gorgeous! So our office gardener is coming today to try and fix what the car wash guy did and finish the job with all the other trees. DH told the car wash guy to stick with what he does best, but he's always trying something new to make a buck. We asked him who his helpers were and they are full time gardeners! I doubt they've had much training.

Dagmar~that's odd that the plumber didn't test the shower valve. He should fix that for free. And what on the outside of the window didn't get finished? Sorry about the flooring problems as well.

saef~try to enjoy your Mom's visit and don't get all stressed out about trying to appease her and stay caught up at work.

Shannon in ATL
09-27-2013, 12:44 PM
Saef - I heard my great grandmother Sarah in my head when I read "Oh Lawd". That was nice. Try to enjoy your mom's visit.

Allison - car wash guy as tree trimmer sounds like a script for a bad sitcom episode, though in that episode he would do a great job at the last minute. Sorry about the trees. :(

My life has been hang out with DSS or work out this week - we had him Tuesday night last minute and DH worked late, no workout. Had him again last night and DH worked late, no workout. Workout will happen today, no matter what. Puts me under a time crunch to make my five days this week, as we are going to a wedding a couple of hours away tomorrow and I had wanted it to be an off day. Now I have to make myself get up early and do it. And I NEVER do well getting up early.

krampus
09-27-2013, 01:11 PM
My sanity has returned, or so it feels! I went on a long hard run with my firefighter friend yesterday that totaled 5 miles much of which was uphill (also downhill), and lifted this morning. Took my roommate to get a new Nissan Versa Note that my BF negotiated down almost $2K, checked out the co-op (impressive), and had a delicious dinner of rotisserie chicken, perfect cherry tomatoes, and chocolate halvah <3. This morning I got in a good lifting session at the gym and I'm going into NYC this evening for a concert and visiting friends. Phew.

Now if I could just get everyone we've been in contact with to SEND ME THE THINGS I NEED FOR THE CONFERENCE. So much "hurry up and wait" and you can only call and email people so many times to remind them to do things!

Megan1982
09-27-2013, 01:30 PM
Sounds like TGIF for a lot of folks here. Shannon, Saef, Allison, and Dagmar, hang in there. Get enough sleep and eat your avocados. ;) But seriously, take a few deep breaths. You'll get through it. Saef, I'm sure your mom will understand that you have more responsibilities with your new position.

Allison, maybe this Max was the real tree artist. Trees can just be butchered if folks don't know what they're doing. Good thing you were watching and only 3 trees got done, not all of them.

Krampus, I'm glad your sanity has returned. Are you in a position to tell people "if I don't have your info by this day and time it won't be included"? Hurry up and waiting for others is frustrating!

TGIF here, too, but in a busy way, not a bad way. A lot of my time this week has been spent at and prepping for play rehearsals, making calls to the costumer, creating prop and set furnishing spreadsheets, etc. It is challenging but if it comes together will be a really fun show. It's set in 1928 in an old mansion so part of the fun is the set and costumes. More "homework" to do this weekend about it. Today is also our biggest event of the year at work, starting in an hour. I'll be working late. About 700-800 people usually show, lots of kids, lots of chaos. I'm eating my lunch right now in my office hiding, then will return to help with set-up.

BF's family is going through some (more) drama right now. This is not uncommon for them. He is really stressed. He knows he can't do much to help (a "don't enable" type situation), though is doing what he can for his young nieces who are being jerked around. He doesn't like it when I tell other people about this, so I can only "talk" to you guys about it. I don't know what to say, but just have to tell someone to relieve some pressure. He doesn't deal with his frustration well and tends to clam up in these situations, so it requires all my patience to support him and not get fed up with him. Keep him, or really his sister and nieces, in your thoughts if you don't mind.

Ok, lunch is done, back to help out. Have a good weekend all!

silverbirch
09-27-2013, 02:57 PM
Keep him, or really his sister and nieces, in your thoughts if you don't mind.

Of course, Megan. :hug: Do they live far away?

I can hear a garden being butchered as we speak. Such a shame. It's a small piece of land with some 'history'. I offered to weed and tame it earlier this year but the older couple who (probably) own it had already taken up the offer of a neighbour with a big power tool. As another neighbour said, "He's no gardener." Such a shame.

JayEll
09-28-2013, 07:59 AM
It's amazing to me how many men with a power saw think they know how to trim trees. Even more amazing is how many people take them at their word.

If you want a tree pruned correctly, hire a Certified Arborist. That's the only people I let work on my trees. It costs more but you aren't as likely to end up with a ruined tree. I also never let them work without my being there to see what they are doing.

I also use only licensed and insured contractors (which Certified Arborists usually are). If one of those neighbors with a saw happens to fall out of the tree, I don't want to have to pay his medical bills.

bargoo
09-28-2013, 06:04 PM
. Keep him, or really his sister and nieces, in your thoughts if you don't mind.

]Absolutely will do that.

bargoo
09-28-2013, 06:07 PM
Sounds like TGIF for a lot of folks here. Shannon, Saef, Allison, and Dagmar, hang in there. Get enough sleep and eat your avocados. ;) But seriously, take a few deep breaths. You'll get through it. Saef, I'm sure your mom will understand that you have more responsibilities with your new position.

Allison, maybe this Max was the real tree artist. Trees can just be butchered if folks don't know what they're doing. Good thing you were watching and only 3 trees got done, not all of them.

Krampus, I'm glad your sanity has returned. Are you in a position to tell people "if I don't have your info by this day and time it won't be included"? Hurry up and waiting for others is frustrating!

TGIF here, too, but in a busy way, not a bad way. A lot of my time this week has been spent at and prepping for play rehearsals, making calls to the costumer, creating prop and set furnishing spreadsheets, etc. It is challenging but if it comes together will be a really fun show. It's set in 1928 in an old mansion so part of the fun is the set and costumes. More "homework" to do this weekend about it. Today is also our biggest event of the year at work, starting in an hour. I'll be working late. About 700-800 people usually show, lots of kids, lots of chaos. I'm eating my lunch right now in my office hiding, then will return to help with set-up.

BF's family is going through some (more) drama right now. This is not uncommon for them. He is really stressed. He knows he can't do much to help (a "don't enable" type situation), though is doing what he can for his young nieces who are being jerked around. He doesn't like it when I tell other people about this, so I can only "talk" to you guys about it. I don't know what to say, but just have to tell someone to relieve some pressure. He doesn't deal with his frustration well and tends to clam up in these situations, so it requires all my patience to support him and not get fed up with him. Keep him, or really his sister and nieces, in your thoughts if you don't mind.

Ok, lunch is done, back to help out. Have a good weekend all!

Will keep BF SIS and Nieces in mind that all will be well.