Old 09-21-2013, 11:31 PM   #1  

Height: 5'3"

Default Borderline Diabetic + Pancreatitis + Diverticulitis

The results from my blood test are I'm borderline diabetic (waiting for results from 2nd set of blood work to confirm), had other tests done and the results are pancreatitis and diverticulitis.

I'm planning on meeting with a dietitian but here the wait time is ridiculous, to see someone through the hospital will take up to one year, at a private clinic 4 to 6 weeks before I get an appointment.

Just wondering if someone can give me some idea of what I should and should not be eating................ I have an idea but just not sure how to put it all together.

As far as I know :
for the pre-diabetic is to cut out sugar and carbs.
for the pancreatitis is to cut out fats
for the diverticulitis is to increase fiber

but what can I or should I eat if I cut out carbs and fats.

I'm a little confused, so any help or advise would be very helpful at least until I see the dietitian.

df1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #2  

Height: 5'3"

Wow! Thought I'd have a few replies at least.
df1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:57 PM   #3  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

Quote:
Originally Posted by df1960 View Post
The results from my blood test are I'm borderline diabetic (waiting for results from 2nd set of blood work to confirm), had other tests done and the results are pancreatitis and diverticulitis.

I'm planning on meeting with a dietitian but here the wait time is ridiculous, to see someone through the hospital will take up to one year, at a private clinic 4 to 6 weeks before I get an appointment.

Just wondering if someone can give me some idea of what I should and should not be eating................ I have an idea but just not sure how to put it all together.

As far as I know :
for the pre-diabetic is to cut out sugar and carbs.
for the pancreatitis is to cut out fats
for the diverticulitis is to increase fiber

but what can I or should I eat if I cut out carbs and fats.

I'm a little confused, so any help or advise would be very helpful at least until I see the dietitian.

Lean protein and vegetables.
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:45 PM   #4  

Location: Anchorage AK in the summer, Lawrence KS and travel in the winter

S/C/G: High 285+ 256/ticker/160ish

Height: 5'6"

Type II diabetic here.

You have a lot to take on. With diabetes you will need to reduce your carbohydrate load especially simple carbs, sugar, refined flours, fruit juices and the like. In a way your diverticulitis diet of fiber will dovetail with your diabetic need for increased fiber in your carbohydrates. Look up the glycemic index on the net and those things with lower numbers are going to be better for you than those things with higher numbers. Cruciferous vegetables, leafy greens, squash, berries, whole grains.

Reducing fat for your inflamed pancreas will mean lean protein like skinless chicken, fish, eggs if tolerated, beans, low fat dairy, lean cuts of meat roasted, grilled or prepared without added fat.

Good luck to you. You can do this.

Cat
vintagecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:40 AM   #5  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I think looking at low GI (glycemic index) diets would be helpful, the carbs you would eat would be high fibre. Generally, some fats should be ok, but olive oil and healthy fats in small amounts should be not bad. It depends on whether the pancreatitis is caused by gall bladder problems or not. If you can get the gall bladder stuff cleared up that will help. Alcohol is absolutely out, as you may already know.
Also, you probably also know to avoid things with small seeds, like raspberries etc. the pips can get caught up.
You are a complex person, in many ways!
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote