Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 09-19-2013, 05:42 PM   #1  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Question about weight training

I wanted to copy/paste this question over here and hope to get some feedback.

i found that when i started weight training, i lost a little feeling in my left leg...like parts of it fell asleep and never woke up...and it feels weird to touch it, just like when your hand falls asleep...has anyone ever encountered this before?? i believe it is coming from my back, because years ago when i had a disc problem and my sciatic nerve was pinched, i lost the same bit of feeling in that same leg only this time it's more extensive of an area on my leg...my back does NOT hurt, neither does any other part beyond the occasional DOMS...i'm doing a lower back extension machine where i can do 145 pounds at the moment, 4 sets of 10 reps each, which is only moderately hard..

any ideas? feedback? DH says to just stretch some more....
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:25 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 313/175/147

Height: 5'7.5

I answered in another thread, but just in case you didn't see it -

I had the same problem a few years back with my sciatic nerve. It got to the point where I could hardly walk (at 19) and then when I tried to bend over to pick up a sock or something like that I felt this snap in my left leg and a red-hot flash of pain went down my leg. I thought I was bleeding, but I wasn't - went to the doc and was diagnosed with a herniated disc in my back and sent home on bedrest for two weeks. I was fine shortly after that, but a few weeks later while shaving my legs, I noticed that I no longer had any feeling in the back of my left leg. Quite an odd feeling while shaving and then you don't feel the razor anymore! I ended up damaging some nerves in my leg from when I bent over and felt that snap. Still don't have all the feeling on the calve of my left leg and the last two toes on my left foot, but it has gotten considerably better over the past three- four years. Nerves grow back, they just take a long time.

You probably overexerted yourself in some regard, or maybe its just that your body is developing more muscle in the back and its placing some kind of pressure on the nerves. Sometimes I don't have full feeling in the one area of my leg that is more sensitive because of over-doing it, even though my back doesn't hurt. Though I am by no means a doctor, if it gets worse or progresses, I'd go in immediately. Otherwise, maybe lighten up on the weights you do for your back? Even though it may not seem like a lot, your back is sensitive.
JulesMarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:20 PM   #3  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

thank you ! yes when my sciatic nerve first had problems years ago, i first noticed it while shaving my legs LOL....the current problem hasn't gotten worse and hasn't gotten better so i'm just keeping things the same....i havent increased the weight on the lower back extension past 145 pounds although i am capable of doing harder...and i'll just keep an eye on it...it doesnt hurt AT ALL and my back doesnt hurt AT ALL...ive just never heard of anyone experiencing such an odd thing

and i wanted to know, with feedback, if anyone would say "omg this is serious, get to a doctor!" but it sounds like something just to be monitored for now
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:36 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 313/175/147

Height: 5'7.5

The only thing a doctor would do for you is run some expensive tests and tell you what you already know. If it gets any worse or doesn't get better (even incrementally) over the next few months, definitely get it checked out to make sure there isn't anything wrong (because I'm no doctor). But because of the fact that you once had sciatic nerve problems, I tend to think it's probably a result of that.
JulesMarion is offline   Reply With Quote