Weight Watchers - WW & shift workers
09-19-2013, 05:46 AM
I just joined WW last week, week one seemed easier than this week. I weigh in on sunday and lost 2 pounds. This week is TOM and I've pretty much ate most of my flex point and it's only Wednesday.
I'm also a shift worker, I work two days 12 hours, 2 nights 12 hours as well I have a second job where I work nights. Is there any other WW shift workers out there?
What do you find to be your biggest issues? Any cravings? What do you do? Even if you aren't a shift worker but you work long hours, how do you deal?
09-19-2013, 06:27 AM
Welcome fellow night-shifter!
I work 3 12hour night shifts per week and started WW on 11/12/2012. I didn't really start to exercise until I had lost about 60 lbs.
Tw things I can think of at this time of morning that have helped me are:
1. Eat a healthy meal before work.
Plan for a 100-200 cal snack.
2. Eat something (I call it breakfast) around 2-3 am and then Do Not Eat until waking up. I have been having Kashi cereal, 1/2 cup FF milk, and blueberries and found it keeps me satisfied. I ran out of Kashi and used Special K recently and found it does not work as well with hunger control. If you must eat again before sleep, have a piece of fruit.
3. Walk past the refrigerator in the morning and go to sleep!
4. Take veggies/fruit to "eat to stay awake" if needed. Popcorn if you can "afford" it.
5. Hydrate throughout night ! Stop a few hours before end of shift to avoid having your sleep disrupted by bathroom needs.
6. Be able to say "no thanks, I've already eaten" when asked about ordering out.
7. Stay out of the Break Room if possible.
8. Ask yourself,"will this help me toward my goal?" If tempted to eat by something other than hunger.
These are some tactics I find myself using. They have been successful thus far. I hope at least one will help you on your journey. Amy
09-19-2013, 07:02 PM
Make sure to have a meal and snack during your shift. This program works!
09-19-2013, 10:28 PM
Do you use the online component of WW? If the Canadian version is like the US version, there is a section specifically for shiftworkers.
09-20-2013, 05:28 AM
When I first start WW this year I found it so hard to do 12s cause I was eating all day and couldn't space my points right. I actually started to combine eating windows with healthy eating. It has made such a difference. I don't eat on my 12s till 8pm. This gives me a 9 hour eating Window, eating most during the down times of my shift. It's really helped me although it just depends on your body if you can skip breakfast. And it means I can sleep in!
09-25-2013, 03:18 AM
Awesome advice guys! It's been two weeks and I've lost 4 pounds and two weeks and I'm happy about that!
09-25-2013, 08:03 AM
vBulletin® v3.6.7, Copyright ©2000-2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO