Living Maintenance - Maintainers Weekly Chat September 16 - September 22

BillBlueEyes
09-16-2013, 05:24 AM
I am, indeed, back from seeing and touching the GIANT Redwoods of California. And back from seeing Gray Whales off the coast of Oregon.

Both of which make me feel HUGE - in need of shedding some fat red-line pounds that have become sticky. I've always believed that my maintenance level of eating would automatically ditch the small poundage that creeps back. Not so. Seems like the body begins to feel entitled.

Here's hoping the the Costa Concordia parbuckles as planned today so it can be towed away and dismantled.

[Note to self: notice that all topics you mention today are LARGE.]

Mudpie
09-16-2013, 06:27 AM
Bill You saw the giant redwoods AND whales - COOL! :D

And yes, the lbs. we put back on gradually creep back and require more effort (for me at least) the second time around to lose. Could be that I'm not so motivated either due to aging and exhaustion. Fitting into the skinny jeans doesn't seem like such an important life goal any more.

I feel kinda sad lately :(. Probably due to regret that my father and I had to have such an adversarial relationship all our lives, particularly at the end of his. Some good did come out of all of this though - my older cousin and I are still communicating with each other about once a week. :)

I better go feed Mudpie again - she's yelling very loudly.

Dagmar :cool:

silverbirch
09-16-2013, 06:40 AM
:wave: Good morning!

alinnell
09-16-2013, 09:17 AM
Good morning, Bill. I guess you should join us in the other thread Maintainers getting 5-10 to fall off (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance/287475-maintainers-getting-5-10-fall-off-3.html#post4840931). And rest assured that you are no way as large as any of those things!

Another quiet weekend under my belt. For someone who usually sees a movie every weekend, it's been strange to not see one for three weeks now! Granted we've been watching movies at night on TV but it just isn't the same. Instead I've been reading quite a bit which is good as my Kindle is full of unread books and I keep downloading more.

traveling michele
09-16-2013, 10:11 AM
Welcome back Bill! Your trip sounds amazing.

Like you-- the pounds have crept on and stuck. I'm tired of complaining about it. I started back to tracking today. I've resisted it because I hate it but I need to get a clear picture of what I'm eating to see if I need to alter anything.

My foot is mostly better. I still don't know what I did so I'm babying it but it seems almost okay. Now of course other things hurt like the side of my leg because I've been compensating.

My classes start full force this morning. Wish me luck. I think the hardest part is trying to train the new parent volunteers that arrive with the classes. Sometimes they "get it" and other times they just don't seem to understand how a library is laid out. Some of them I never see again and others become friends. I went to a friend's house on Saturday-- she had been my volunteer for many years and now her son is in middle school. It was great to catch up.

Allison-- I did see a movie this weekend with dh. We almost never see movies! We saw We're the Millers and enjoyed it. We joked that we were having a high school date because we had pizza first (thin crust organic by the slice) and then went to the movie.

Mudpie
09-16-2013, 04:51 PM
I have dining room furniture :spin: being delivered today. It's living in the back shed until the flooring is installed. The flooring arrives Saturday :cheer2: and starts getting installed next Monday. I think we ARE :lol3: actually going to have a house by the end of October.

Dagmar :dance:

bargoo
09-16-2013, 04:56 PM
And do we get before and after pix ?

Mudpie
09-16-2013, 07:41 PM
I tried to take pics but the rooms don't lend themselves to the digital camera. Everything was blurry, even at the widest angle setting. Or the flash washed it out so much that you couldn't really see what was there.

I'll see if I can take some "after" pics with my old manual camera and transfer them to digital format.

Dagmar :dizzy:

saef
09-17-2013, 08:21 AM
Oh, the joys of home ownership. So much awaits you, Dagmar. It's only just begun.

Here I am at quarter after eight, awaiting a contractor who was supposed to show up at 8 A.M. to measure the three-part bay window in my bedroom and determine whether pre-made screens will fit into it. At least I've got a cup of coffee to console me against the chill of still being in sweaty gym clothes on a cool September morning. I really want to shower & change but he'll show up the minute I'm naked.

Back in 2011, after the flood, during salvage operations we popped out the screens in the bay window so that we could remove my sleigh bed expeditiously for restoration. The screens stayed propped against the outside wall and in the sorrow & hard work of salvage, I never remembered to put them back in the window. I thought the maintenance guys would take care of this. But there was a lot going on and the screens must have gotten tossed in a dumpster along the way.

I hadn't been in a hurry to get new screens because I wasn't using that bedroom -- because there was no bed in it -- and I knew the sleigh bed would have to come back in through the window. It's really cumbersome, made in two massive parts, and hard to angle through the hallway.

But now the bed is back, and I'm measuring it twice and then again, to order a custom mattress. I'll be sleeping it by Christmas, I hope. So I want the windows complete with screens. Now it turns out the screens were custom-made, and not cheap, and the building management, which is responsible for them, is still trying to replace them, but is really, really hoping that something premade will work.

Anyway, it's now 8:23 AM & no sign of the contractor. If they thought they were doing me a favor by showing up at 8:30 AM, they weren't.

I really want a shower before work kicks in & I can't get away from my laptop till lunch hour.

Megan1982
09-17-2013, 08:58 AM
Morning all,

I had a first read-through with my cast last night and am very happy. There's a lot to do, but I don't feel too behind yet and am also really happy with the crew I've recruited so far. Plans are coming together. Work... same. I'm trying to keep my head above water with work, keeping the dog and myself exercised, the usual house chores and prepping healthy food. I'm getting a little tired of romaine lettuce salads. I get to go to the good grocery store later this week and am going to try to break out of my vegetable rut. I was on a great food place (eating the right stuff and right amounts) for the last two weeks and got a little derailed over the weekend. I can get back there before it becomes a big deal and I get way out of balance. We're supposed to get our first cold front of the season tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to cooler weather.

Saef, I'm hoping you can at least get something else productive done while in contractor purgatory and they actually show up today! I have such a dismal view of repair people that when they do show up and get anything done I'm overly impressed.

Dagmar, if you do manage to take pictures of the house please do share! At my grandmother's funeral I saw aunts and uncles I hadn't seen in years. At least some good can come out of events that are traditionally seen as negative. Glad you and your cousin have renewed your relationship.

Bill, redwoods and whales both sound wonderful! Got any pictures?

Allison, I have a bookworm friend who reads a combo of digital and paper books, which is what I do right now, too. If I can borrow it, not buy it, I don't care what form it's in. Right now my night stand is quite full of books waiting to be read. It's nice to catch up sometimes.

Michele, glad your foot is feeling better. I've trained a few volunteers, too, and completely understand. :dizzy: When you find the good ones, you want to hold onto them!

Have a good day and good week all.

Mudpie
09-17-2013, 09:58 AM
I am now the proud owner of dining room furniture which is one step closer to the new house. :p It is stored, dismantled, in the shed at the back of the new house and will proudly be put inside (and cleaned and oiled once sanding of walls is finished) when we have floors.

Which should be the end of next week. Just in time for me to go off on a dog sit for 11 days. Guess I'll come and visit my first ever dining room for awhile. :lol:

I had a bit of a problem telling the movers (who I just booked) how many rooms of furniture we have. I'm not sure a shed full of plastic bins is furniture and, at this point, I'm not sure whether the old living room couch is moving with us or whether the new one will be at the new house first.

It's going to be a weird, fractured, experience. But the ticking clock of month end will NOT be happening. I'm giving myself (almost) a week off to do this. And I'm taking a lot of stuff to the storage unit and over to our sheds before the move.

And I have now gotten rid of over 1/2 my clothes and shoes, all stuff I haven't worn (some things never worn) in over 2 years. Surprising how easy it is to do whim shopping on the net and then wind up with a bunch of stuff that's never used. Someone at the local charity clothing place will be very glad to get my burgundy taffeta evening dress with matching shoes and purse, I'm sure. :dizzy:

traveling michele
09-17-2013, 12:30 PM
Bargoo-- how are you feeling?
Thinking of you a lot....

paperclippy
09-18-2013, 07:58 AM
Good morning! Work is going nuts here so I will not be around much. Just wanted to drop in and say hi. Also for those not on facebook, here are a few photos of my girls. :) (Actually I didn't put these on facebook, so it's a first glimpse! :lol: )

Megan1982
09-18-2013, 08:55 AM
Happy Wednesday everyone,

This is my PSA for the day: Back up your hard drive!!! I'm sure you can guess where this is going. My laptop at home made a horrible screeching noise, followed by not much of anything. I managed to find a local computer guy who came highly recommended and sounds competent and reasonably priced, which is great since I don't want to drive 160 miles round trip to the city at least once to get it fixed somewhere. He said it sounds like a hard drive, which he said is easy to replace but recovering my stuff is questionable. He's out of town so I won't know until Friday-Sat if my stuff can been saved so I'm not too upset at this point. "Buy a portable hard drive to back up laptop" was even on my to-do list and hadn't been done yet. :censored:

The front is coming through and fall is in the air. I see pumpkin in my future. Maybe if fall comes it will alleviate my allergies. I can only hope.

Jessica, how cute! What smiley girls.

Dagmar, way to purge. It's much better to get rid of this stuff now and not move it, right?

Saef, surely if you get on the management now they will have those screens replaced by Christmas. Surely. :dizzy:

Michele, how are classes going?

Bargoo, I had a couch party last night and thought of you. How's it going?

Happy hump day everyone.

Mudpie
09-18-2013, 09:56 AM
Happy hump day has rather a double meaning for me Megan. :lol3:

alinnell
09-18-2013, 10:08 AM
Oh, Megan, so sorry about your laptop! I do back up mine, but not nearly as often as I should. I guess it's too inconvenient to carry it from the kitchen where I use it the most into my bedroom where the equipment is located to get it done. I hope they're able to recover your stuff.

I remember when Meg's MacBook took a dive and she had to get a new one. Once purchased she was able to plug it into to her backup and restore the new one with all the stuff from her old one with ease. I try to keep her in mind when I delay doing my own backup.

I enjoy all the photos you post of your girls, Jessica. Good luck with work!

traveling michele
09-18-2013, 10:12 AM
So sorry Megan. Been there, done that. In fact, at work! I thought everything was backed up automatically to our server and found out the hard way that it wasn't. I lost several years of saved stuff. I now use dropbox to save my files. Which reminds me-- my dropbox is full so I either need to upgrade or open another account.

My classes are going pretty well so far. Day one I had a puker in the library though. Lovely way to start. Today is Kindergarten day (plus we have Transitional Kindergarten for the first time) so these kiddos won't have a clue. At least most of the others have been to the library before. I won't have time for a lunch break as I have other classes after Kindergarten but we have dismissal at 1 so I can eat then. However, I have a library meeting at another site from 2:30-4:00 so I'm trying to figure out how I can juggle that, making sure I find time to let the doggies out and feed them, and hopefully get to yoga before 4:30. Dh has a big dinner meeting so he won't be home or available.

I tracked for the second day and my weight was the same. I was so sure (ha ha) that I would lose a pound a day. We had an Aidell's chicken sausage last night which was high sodium so that may account for the lack of movement. Of course, I need to develop a little more patience too!!

traveling michele
09-18-2013, 10:13 AM
And most importantly--- Jessica-- your girls are way too cute!! Love their big smiles!

saef
09-18-2013, 11:26 AM
Anyone ever lost a toenail or fingernail before? I'm limping around the office today in white sandals with a bandaged little toe. I dropped something on it a few weeks back. When I got a pedicure, I noticed it was a little dark around the edges but thought it was just a bruise. Last week, the toe became painful, and in the last few days, excruciatingly painful. The toenail came off when I was cleaning it with peroxide. There is an ugly tiny new nail starting up there in the nailbed but in the meantime I can't stand to have anything touching it. Wondering if it is infected because I was sick yesterday afternoon & through the night with a fever & chills.

alinnell
09-18-2013, 11:30 AM
I've lost my big toe nail twice and my DS's little toe nail fell off yesterday. All were from trauma (stubbed toes). I don't know about the fever and chills being associated with it after a trauma, though. I have had infections on my fingers and toes and if I remember correctly I had to take a pretty strong prescription to wipe that out, but I never got an infection from having a toenail fall off. Of course, if there were a small cut and you picked up something along the way it could happen.

Shannon in ATL
09-18-2013, 12:05 PM
Michele - I had chicken sausage in my stir fry last night, thank you for reminding me that the sodium probably caused my weight spike today. :)

Megan - sorry about the laptop. Been there too many times myself.

Jessica - love the baby pictures!

Dagmar - I need to clean out my closet as well. I keep putting it off.

Saef - I hope they get your screens installed quickly.

Welcome back, Bill!

Allison - we haven't gone to a movie in ages. I have been reading more, though.

Saef - I've lost a toenail, but never had any fever. Yours might be infected, keep an eye on it.

bargoo
09-18-2013, 12:35 PM
Good morning! Work is going nuts here so I will not be around much. Just wanted to drop in and say hi. Also for those not on facebook, here are a few photos of my girls. :) (Actually I didn't put these on facebook, so it's a first glimpse! :lol: )

How darling but which one is which ?

paperclippy
09-18-2013, 12:46 PM
Bargoo, the first two are Allison and the second two are Cecilia.

Saef, definitely keep an eye on that toe and consider going to a doctor to check for infection. My aunt is in the hospital right now for an infection that started from a banged up elbow, so infection can be a serious thing!

neurodoc
09-18-2013, 11:14 PM
Michele, what is your target with the tracking? Are you aiming for a certain calorie count per day, or points, or grams of carbs/protein?

Jessica, they are adorable. And with a very mischievous gleam in their eyes, that I suspect bodes trouble for you when they start being able to get into things ;>)

Dagmar, I'm jealous of your ability to weed out stuff. I need to do waaay more of that (not just in my clothes closet- extraneous stuff all over the house). There's actually a book with the title "does this clutter make my butt look fat?" based on the premise that people who have trouble de-cluttering also have trouble with the discpline needed to lose weight, and living in clutter somehow lowers your will power. Dunno how true it is, but it makes for a catchy title.

traveling michele
09-19-2013, 12:19 AM
Michele, what is your target with the tracking? Are you aiming for a certain calorie count per day, or points, or grams of carbs/protein?

Jessica, they are adorable. And with a very mischievous gleam in their eyes, that I suspect bodes trouble for you when they start being able to get into things ;>)

Dagmar, I'm jealous of your ability to weed out stuff. I need to do waaay more of that (not just in my clothes closet- extraneous stuff all over the house). There's actually a book with the title "does this clutter make my butt look fat?" based on the premise that people who have trouble de-cluttering also have trouble with the discpline needed to lose weight, and living in clutter somehow lowers your will power. Dunno how true it is, but it makes for a catchy title.

Thanks for answering my question about your meals. Yes, that's what I was asking.

For now I'm counting weight watchers points as that is how I lost my weight. If I don't make any headway, I'll look into other methods.

Mudpie
09-19-2013, 05:43 AM
I'm going through my father's "papers" right now - making room for DH's stuff in the storage unit.:lol:

Boy my dad had an ego - and no regard :( for anyone. He describes his half-sister and her daughter as "anemic": and "simple:'", when meeting them for the first time. I don't feel so singled out now. I guess he heaped contempt and abuse on me mostly due to proximity.

I am finding out all sorts of things I didn't know - not about my dad but more about the Estonian relatives and what he did there for 18 summers. I'm finding I do have some recollection of the language and can haltingly make my way through a letter written in Estonian, if it's typed. I also quickly scanned all of his "diaries" - 14 of them - and they are hand written mostly in Estonian so I had little success with them. No need to read them - they are all about him.

There are some things that make me mad :mad: - like a letter of condolence for my mom's death addressed to both of us that my father never bothered showing me. It was written by someone I would have gotten in touch with, had I known about her and where she was living.

And there are some things that belong in my family time capsule - if we had one.:p My grandmother paid $69.27 income tax to the Canadian government in 1955 and got $7.05 back as a refund. My dad hated his mother-in-law so I imagine that bit of paper got in there via stuff of my mom's.

There are 4 boxes and I made my way through 2 last night. Our recycling bins will be very full for the next while. I also turfed all of his "hate" books - an interesting collection written by people as twisted and negative as himself. Again no need to read them - just the titles were scary :eek: enough.

Dagmar :tired:

Megan1982
09-19-2013, 08:31 AM
Hi all,

Ooh, it feels like fall in the air here. It's windy and cloudy but also cooler and lower humidity. I'll take it. I'm watching this tropical disturbance in the Gulf and wondering if it will come this way. If it brings us some rain, it may interfere with my weekend plans to go boating on the last weekend of scallop season and clean out the garden to make way for fall planting. I'm trying to keep it in perspective. The effects of the extreme rainfall in Colorado and Mexico are terrible. A few rainy days here doesn't matter.

I need to do more weekend food prep than I've done in the last two weeks. Next week play rehearsals start in earnest, 3 nights per week. Last weekend I didn't really do that and now I'm staring at my bare fridge blankly, wondering what the heck I should eat. No good comes of this. I've eaten a few of my freezer burritos and they are delicious! I'm thinking a big tray of weight watchers turkey eggplant casserole will make good dinners next week and maybe black bean soup for lunches. Does anyone have any good "cook once, eat all week" type recipes to share?

I also need to continue to remind myself that getting enough sleep is key. I can never tell myself that enough. "Getting my s!@# together" seems to be the theme running through my thoughts this morning.

Dagmar, I'm sure going through your dad's papers is confirming your knowledge that you didn't need such a toxic person in your life, relation or no. Could you could attempt to contact the person who wrote the condolence letter now? Enjoy the gems you do find, like your grandmother's income tax receipts.

Michele, gl with your slim down attempts. Sometimes getting back to basics is exactly what we all need.

Have a good Thursday all.

silverbirch
09-19-2013, 08:45 AM
Could you could attempt to contact the person who wrote the condolence letter now?

I wondered this too. Great work with the Estonian, Dagmar!

Megan, good luck with all the theatre stuff. And get enough sleep - you know it makes sense.

Andrea, what about healthy fats? They'd be a good thing to fit in to prevent yourself self-destructing. I know Becky can't operate without a fairly high fat level and I definitely need them.

[I'm on the main frame so I can do bold. Yes, I did write the main frame, I really meant the desk top. Old habits die hard ...]

Shannon in ATL
09-19-2013, 12:24 PM
Michele - I'm trying to get back to my basics, too.

Birchie - main frame! I find myself occasionally using that word, from when I was young and my dad had early computers in the house. People always look at me funny. :)

Megan - I love the slightly cool feel in the air. We can finally start using the porch.

Dagmar - that is an interesting history to be going through, even with some of the crazy! I like the tax info.

I'm tired. Tired tired tired. I begin to think I will never be well rested.

Megan1982
09-19-2013, 12:49 PM
Andrea, what about healthy fats? They'd be a good thing to fit in to prevent yourself self-destructing. I know Becky can't operate without a fairly high fat level and I definitely need them.

I second this, good advice Silver! I'm another one who needs to make sure I include healthy fats to prevent some crankiness/craziness/hard falls of the wagon.

Shannon, sounds like you need to keep up on sleep too. And that you need a hug. :hug: And have you eaten any healthy fats today? ;)

A mother always knows when something is wrong with her (fur) child. The dog's urinalysis culture came back positive for a MRSA-type staph bacteria and she will start 3 weeks of antibiotics tonight. Apparently this is rather unusual and the vet actually asked me if anyone in the house has been to the hospital lately (no) bc it's not something you usually pick up out and about. I'm so glad I took her to the vet, though I felt a bit silly and overprotective at the time.

Shannon in ATL
09-19-2013, 01:03 PM
LOL Megan, I seldom ever eat enough healthy fats. :)

alinnell
09-19-2013, 01:43 PM
I was going to have some healthy fat the other day but I couldn't get my knife into the avocado! It looked and felt like it was ripe, but no, it wasn't. My sandwich was bereft of avocado and I had to resort to a non-healthy fat (mayo).

traveling michele
09-19-2013, 02:16 PM
Glad you took her to the vet Megan. Ouch-- I bet that hurts!

Dagmar-- I bet those papers are interesting to go through. Diaries are always fascinating and a true glimpse into someone's life.

Healthy fats... hmmm.... when dh cooks, he uses olive oil but I rarely use it as it is high calorie.

I have a crockpot meal going. I also have the maids coming. I joked to dh that I was the perfect housewife today-- cooking and cleaning for him!

silverbirch
09-19-2013, 04:51 PM
LOL Megan, I seldom ever eat enough healthy fats. :)

That could be the answer then. Healthy fats, the elixir of life. And skin and hair look gorgeous across the decades - just look at Becky, Megan and me!

alinnell
09-21-2013, 07:42 PM
Last full day with DS at home. His BFF moved to his school on Friday so he hasn't had anywhere to go today. He and I went to Staples to get him supplies (he could have gone on his own, but he wanted my "help"). We also went to Target for a few things and then a stop at Trader Joe's for some veggies. After lunch he went with me to take his cat to the vet for his rabies shot. Once home he asked for my help in packing his clothes. Like he hasn't packed before! He said he wanted my "help." In the car at one point he said to me, "I'm really going to miss you." Dang. I'm going to miss him too! Tomorrow is move-in day. I told him he needs to check in on Facebook from time to time so I know he's alive. And I hope he remembers to eat (he said he would) and I packed a box full of snacks for his dorm room. DH said he'll be the most popular kid around! School doesn't start until Thursday and until then they have a lot of activities planned--a giant squirt gun fight (trying to break a world record for participants) and a blood drive.

traveling michele
09-22-2013, 02:08 PM
Hope it's going well today Allison. Thinking of you as you drop off ds at school!

Megan1982
09-22-2013, 02:17 PM
So sweet, Allison. I'm sending you :hug:s.

It's been raining and storming here since yesterday afternoon. Dare I say it might be time to switch from iced to hot coffee in the mornings? I've got a batch of slow cooker black bean soup going for dinner tonight and meals this week. I stocked up on a ton of fresh produce in the city on Friday and am excited to incorporate it into my meals this week. It's a cozy day for sitting on the couch, going over and working on act 1 which is what we'll cover in rehearsal tonight.

BF is a bit upset with me. Last night we went out and despite my telling him that I was hungry and needed to eat, we didn't get home to dinner until 9 PM after driving through a rain storm in the golf cart (naturally his fault, I told him it was going to rain and we should take the car). I told him that being upset with me is ridiculous and I cannot possibly be held accountable for the things I say when I'm HANGRY, especially when he's known me for 8 years and knows I get cranky when I don't eat! Has anyone had similar arguments with their SOs?

I got my laptop back today and my new computer guy said my hard drive is fine. He thinks norton antivirus was causing problems thinking my network was a threat. He changed some settings and checked out everything else, and wouldn't even charge me "because he didn't do much", though he urged me to call him and let him listen to the sound if my computer does it again. The very first thing I did when I got home was order a portable hard drive to back-up this laptop. Whew.

alinnell
09-22-2013, 07:37 PM
DS is safe at school. And I cried when we left. Still am, really.

It'll be fine. I'll get used to it. We've texted quite a bit and he showed me how to use FaceTime.