Old 09-15-2013, 10:33 AM   #1  

Default Hello...I'm new to calorie counting.

Hello everyone,
I'm a 34 year old hard working RN! Currently I work in Endo and am pursuing my Master's in Nursing Informatics. I have tried many diets in the past from SB, Atkins, WW, and most recently NS. I liked WW when I did it but felt like I was always losing and gaining the same 2 lbs. I'm at the heaviest I've been. I am currently going to try increasing my exercise and calorie counting with myfitnesspal. Anyone have any good suggestions it would be much appreciated!

Emilie
scoobyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:43 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 221/196.3/130

Height: 5'2

Hi Scoobyfanatic!!! Welcome to 3FC!

I use Myfitnesspal myself to count calories, and I love it! My goal is 1200 a day, however I tend to be balanced more between 1000-1200 (I know its low, but I'm not hungry and I watch the essential nutrients to make sure I'm getting enough, and take vitamins) depending on my activity level. I also use a Fitbit One to measure all of my movement so I can gauge how much I actually burn throughout the day. I did Weight Watchers for 2 months and had the same issue you did, where I wasn't losing at the rate that I thought I should be able to, and I found that with the free fruits and vegetables I was eating around maintenance level calories instead of deficit, so that's when I switched to calorie counting so I could be more accountable for what I ate.

One of the big things I'd say is don't start with the lowest calorie intake possible (I don't think myfitnesspal would let you go below 1200 calories). I had gotten used to smaller portions from weight watchers, so it wasn't so hard to ease myself into calorie counting, but if you have been eating larger portions for a while, it would be easier to start with something like 1700 calories for a week, then 1500, and so on, just so that you don't feel like you're starving yourself.

I'd also recommend a food journal. I keep track of the calories in Myfitnesspal, but I keep a food journal at my desk so that I can record things like my mood, scale fluctuations, etc. I weigh daily, and compare what I ate the day before to the scale and see if there might be any foods to trigger gain. I also look for emotional triggers...I simply cannot have a pint of Ben & Jerry's ice cream in my apartment. I just can't. When there's one in the house, if I get even the smallest mood swing that is the first thing I grab, and I can easily eat half if not all of the container in one sitting.
Buffinlovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:51 PM   #3  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Welcome and good luck on your journey!!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:54 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/172/150

Height: 5'2"

i have been calorie counting with my fitness pal for the past 3 months and owe a lot to it. Yeah, it does overwhelms u initially but i becomes a part of ur routine as u go on.
Good luck..
iamritu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:21 PM   #5  

Height: 5'7"

Welcome! I just started calorie counting in July and love it. Also use my fitness pal. I have been on all those diets you mentioned and more. Then I decided to go back to good old calorie counting -- the first type of diet I ever did many years ago. I love it. I agree with don't start your calories too low. Also mix up your calories. Don't have exactly 1200 each day. Some days go a couple hundred over. I'm doing that once a week or so. Keep checking in here. Find an exercise you can and will do. I'm doing walking DVDs and love those too. But I hadn't exercised in over 20 years, so they are great for someone like me! I am on my feet a lot during the day though (teacher), as you probably are.

Calorie counting is so great. No crazy rules about time of day, and nothing is off limits if in moderation. I use to hate the diets with no fruit!
CalCounter1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:52 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 147/147/135 HW - 190

Height: 5'6"

Hi and welcome!! I second the others that My Fitness Pal is really helpful. I found I like to use it on my computer rather than on my phone. I just bookmark it next to this site and enter my calories every night!

Also - I don't know what you're weight is but since you're an RN and pretty active you might not need to be super restrictive, like 1200 calories could be to low for you. You could try starting at 1500 and see if that works, it also makes the diet easier to stick to. Just a suggestion
LisaTcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:40 PM   #7  
Fit by Forty!

S/C/G: 220/209/150

Hi! Welcome!

I have found calorie counting to work well for me. I also use MFP and have found it to be a very helpful tool. You can add friends on there as well. It's nice to get a friendly note when you finish your day with MFP and come in at or under your calories. You're welcome to add me if you'd like: wymama.

Good luck on your jouney. This is a great place for support and encouragement.
LisaLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:28 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 238/188/150

Height: 5'2

I've done weight watchers for over a year and have lost 50lbs and now at a stand still so I decided to do MFP and count calories
I'm doing both-its exhausting but its working!
SarainMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:10 AM   #9  

Thanx all for your great words of encouragement. I plan on getting a fit bit and am using myfitnesspal. Looking forward to beginning a new me!
scoobyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:08 AM   #10  
Doxie Jax's Mom

S/C/G: 190/Ticker/159

Height: 5'3" used to be 5'6" :-(

Hello Everyone!

Glad to be here with you :-)

Like most of y'all, I too have tried every diet known to man (and woman!)

Just started counting calories a couple of weeks ago with My Fitness Pal. The one thing I know For Sure is that if I don't log in each bite that passes my lips, I WILL FAIL! Keeping a food diary definitely keeps me on track. My husband is counting and logging with me, which makes my weight loss journey much more "enjoyable" lol if there is such a thing! Each morning we sit down and enter everything we plan on eating into MFP. I like having my eating day planned in advance. If something unexpected comes up, like a dinner invitation, I make the changes before I eat so I know exactly what and how much I can have.

Have been running under the 1200 the past few days, but am not going to eat if I'm not hungry! I am making sure to get my protein and fiber and I do take vitamins.

I'm looking forward to supporting all y'all in your efforts to be a healthier you and to having you support my efforts too. Am feeling pretty good about being successful this time...the food logging means I'm serious!!!

Jill :-)
Jillie422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:21 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 345/ticker/170

Height: 5'8

Hi everyone! I'm just starting calorie counting today, and am so happy to see all of the positive notes on it. I too am using MFP and I feel it's going to help me a lot in staying on track.

Like many of you, I have tried every diet on the planet pretty much. I was going to a clinic last year and lost 48 pounds, but have gained 1/2 of that back. I feel sad about that, but also more determined to stick with it this time. Calorie counting is new to me and I"m a bit nervous to be able to just choose what I want as long as I count it. I guess I am used to more strict plans with food lists. Nervous but excited!

I'm starting out this week using a lot of WW microwave meals because I think it will be simple for me and help me control the calories and portions. My hubs is gone a lot with work, so these will work out perfectly for me. Anyone else try this approach? For calories, I was going to try 1200, but wondering if I should bump that to 1500 to start out.

Any tips would be appreciated!
ruby2sday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:31 AM   #12  
Doxie Jax's Mom

Hi Ruby2.....

Calorie counting is easy with MyFitnessPal. Once you enter your weight, height, etc....it will calculate how many calories you can have. Love the way it keeps me accountable for every bite I take! There's a website, plus apps for both iPhone and android.

You're not in this alone...so keep posting! And have a Happy Calorie Day
Old 09-23-2013, 11:04 AM   #13  
Fit by Forty!

S/C/G: 220/209/150

Hi Ruby and Jillie!
LisaLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:23 PM   #14  
Doxie Jax's Mom

Hi LisaLou!
Old 09-24-2013, 11:24 AM   #15  
Doxie Jax's Mom

Howdy!

Hope all y'all are well, happy and steadily clicking along with your Counting of the Calorie I thought I'd stop by and toot my own horn, because I accomplished a huge feat yesterday!!!

Had company stop by our summer place along the Valley River here in western NC. We cooked trout, small steaks, grilled veggies, mushroom salad and trifle for dessert. I stayed within my calorie count for the day! I even made some roasted red pepper and garlic hummus as an appetizer with baked ritz crackers and I had 2 cockytails!

Had such a great time with this couple! They have seen me thru the darkest of times...when I suddenly lost both my husband and my son...and then when I had to have emergency spinal surgery almost immediately after my husband died. Can't begin to tell you how very wonderful it is to watch them bond with my new husband whom I met in grade school decades ago!

All's well in my little corner of the universe