Living Maintenance - Maintainers Getting 5-10 to "Fall" Off!

Pages : [1] 2

ICUwishing
09-12-2013, 12:56 PM
Here's the latest installment for Maintainers* working their way back down from "yo-yo-ing on a bit too long of a string", as we say, or maybe just want a little extra discussion centered around getting the scales to budge downward as opposed to staying put. Join us!

*Veteran Maintainers, Wanna-be Maintainers, soon-to-be Maintainers, or anybody who's held off an unwanted pound for a day or more. :D

Shannon in ATL
09-12-2013, 01:07 PM
New thread! Woo!

alinnell
09-12-2013, 01:19 PM
Thanks, Becky!

So while the first two days of the week saw a fall for me, yesterday was not the same. I had a rather high caloric and unnecessary snack while waiting for the appliance repairman and that shot me over my daily goal. That and two heavier than normal meals. And I also lost all motivation to get my workout done even though I had three hours in which to do it. I'm not back where I started but I still feel a little defeated.

silverbirch
09-12-2013, 01:20 PM
Thanks, Becky.

I'd like to lose at least 5lbs. 10lbs would be twice as nice. And I think 15lbs would be fantastic.

My plan is firstly to carry on trying to get my body working properly for exercise. I'll be posting in the exercise thread every day. I am now describing myself as an athlete (saw another thread about this) which gets me in the right frame of mind etc ...
... secondly, to plan my eating rather more carefully than I've managed recently.
Thirdly, I'll be battering on with only eating when sitting down and not whilst wandering angrily across the kitchen.

Thanks in advance for your support. The understanding and positive kind of support works best for me. :) I'm ready to support you too! :D

silverbirch
09-12-2013, 01:23 PM
Off to the kitchen now where washing-up awaits and making the tea. Danger time. Second day of beef casserole nicoise with, I think, pasta tonight. Greens too, of course.

dstalksalot
09-12-2013, 01:39 PM
Heading into my first holiday season at maintenance. I am wondering if I should try and lose a couple of pounds to give my self a buffer, or is that a bad idea? ( wonder if it will give me cause to over eat when I would not normally.)

traveling michele
09-12-2013, 02:43 PM
Heading into my first holiday season at maintenance. I am wondering if I should try and lose a couple of pounds to give my self a buffer, or is that a bad idea? ( wonder if it will give me cause to over eat when I would not normally.)

I always think a buffer is good and I used to have one but I'm now 5-10 over where I like to be so I'm working my way back down.

JayZeeJay
09-12-2013, 05:39 PM
Saef: your quote in the old thread really made me think. The idea that I do NOT have the right to expect that my body (and my metabolism) can be manipulated somewhat wantonly to fit random aesthetic parameters...hmm.

I need to start shopping for a wedding dress soon, and there seems to be a universal expectation that I will diet to do so. Both of the stores that I called mentioned this - one said "try to lose all the weight that you are going to lose by 6 months prior to the wedding date, although it's OK to lose another 5-10 after that". As you ladies know, even hearing something relatively innocuous like that can cause instant anxiety.

My good friend that just got married lost about 15 pounds, gradually, in preparation. I admit that I was already having vague thoughts about pre-wedding weight loss. But the idea of carefully planning and sticking to another loss program, when I struggle as it is with maintenance, makes me feel both tired and scared. I would like to say that I am happy with my body and have no desire to lose more weight - but it's a lie. Especially when it comes to the one day of my life when I won't be able to avoid having my picture taken (a lot).

Which brings me back to that quote. I know that I can lose some real weight short-term, that's the easier part - but can I keep it off? Do I even want to try? Or, is now the time to put my money where my mouth is (literally - these dresses are expensive) and prove that I love my body how it is currently, regardless of size or imperfections?

Shannon in ATL
09-12-2013, 06:41 PM
Oh JayZee, shopping for wedding dresses is a nightmare to the weight crazy, I swear. When I was married the first time I had the big fancy dress - I remember the woman telling me I got one alteration for free, and to wait to get it done until about eight weeks out from the wedding as it could take 2-4 weeks to complete. As she told me this she says 'and then just try not to be a binger or a purger in that last month, or it will cost you'. Woo boy did that make my head just about pop right off.

JayEll
09-12-2013, 07:53 PM
To read more about what Leigh Peele has to say, click here (http://www.leighpeele.com/).

This has been my experience, and I know I'm not alone.

Jay

bargoo
09-12-2013, 08:20 PM
To read more about what Leigh Peele has to say, click here (http://www.leighpeele.com/).

This has been my experience, and I know I'm not alone.

Jay

I skimmed through this article and will reread it later, I find it pertains to me in many ways due to my present health conditions.

Mudpie
09-12-2013, 08:57 PM
Re the wedding dresses - IMHO your fiancee is marrying you because you are you, not because you will temporarily lose 10 lbs. to fit into a big white fluffy dress for a day. Look at your wedding as a public celebration of your love for each other, not as the day you are at your thinnest to look good in the pics. Hopefully there will be many more occasions with pictures and you should be yourself in all of them. Fat, thin, in-between. Weddings are hard enough without everyone pressuring the bride to lose weight.

They don't do that for the groom, do they? "You have to lose 15 lbs. before we'll rent you a tux" :lol:

(I'm sprinting from the room as a barrage of rotten turnips is loosed at me!)

Shannon The woman who sold you your first wedding dress should be beaten with a big, big stick. :rollpin:

Dagmar :dizzy:

alinnell
09-12-2013, 09:04 PM
My Mom made my wedding "dress" so alterations were thrown in for free, not that I needed them. I weighed about what I do now but it was proportioned a bit better back then. So my "dress" wasn't a dress but a suit. Plain white pencil skirt but not too tight or short, cummerbund and jacket that matched in a white on white jacquard (I think that is the right term). The jacket had HUGE 1980's shoulder pads! LOL I do remember wishing I weighed less then. Just as I do now. History repeating itself.

I read a little on Leigh Peele (and then Tom Venuto). I don't really feel like I need to spend more money to listen to what they have to say about it all though.

ICUwishing
09-12-2013, 09:42 PM
For fall, I want to get comfortably back under 150 (145 would be awesome). Most importantly, I will continue working on short runs and occasional short races, while I get back into competitive swimming. Food-wise, just work on portion control and being aware of what is going in my mouth and why.

This week's average looks good so far. I'm still going to grin really big when I see the first 149.5 ...

neurodoc
09-12-2013, 11:09 PM
JayZee, when I bought my dress, I heard so many variations of the weight-loss/alterations theme, that I rebelled (subconsciously) and gained almost 10 pounds in 4 months, requiring that the dress be let out, rather than taken in. I'm not telling you this as a scare tactic, only to say that the expectation of weight loss before a major social event is a miserable experience. Your height/weight listing says that you are just perfect where you are. Your BF/fiance loves you just as you are, and you were personally happy with your weight until the *sshole salespeople started manipulating your head. DON'T LET THEM MANIPULATE YOU. I just attended the wedding of a cousin-by-marriage where the always-slender and lovely lady had clearly lost a good 10-15 pounds more. She didn't look radiant, she looked gaunt and hungry. She picked at the delicious wedding food like it would choke her if she ate a normal bite, and I felt super sorry for her obvious discomfort. There is enough stress leading up to a wedding that adding the expectation of weight loss and the fear of regain to it is just completely unnecessary. If you have to, stick your fingers in your ears and go "la la la" each time the subject of re-alterations comes up. Or just smile and say "thanks but I am happy with my body like this" (even if it is a lie, like you say in your post) and see if that shuts em up.

As for me, I am stubbornly stuck at 127. Again. On bad days I see 128, and once every 4-5 days, it gets down to 126, but never below. I know this is because I'm incapable of sticking to 1200 cal/day anymore. Heck, I had 1350 today and right now, at 10 pm, I feel like I'm starving. It's kind of sick, but I'm almost looking forward to the obligatory fast day of Yom Kippur on Saturday, just because it may reset my hunger level downward a bit.

And reading Leigh Peel makes me feel worse- I feel like I have permanent "starvation mode" without actually being in a calorie deficit. :>(

Mudpie
09-13-2013, 06:26 AM
I have been maintaining very well at 135-138 since about February. What is changing now and what I don't like is that old behaviours are coming back. I'm starting to binge eat crap in the evenings, falling asleep in front of the TV, and the cycle of energy drinks and all that they bring with them is starting up.

This is mostly due to severe loneliness. DH is working through his own stuff and he's over at the new house almost every night. I see him @ breakfast and at dinner and that's it. The social events I attended last weekend reminded me of how lonely I am. So I eat.

And work is about to take off so I'm going to be even more tired.

I'm going to start by cutting out the energy drinks this weekend. Instead of candy in the evening I'm going back to frozen fruit and yogurt - one serving. And by serving I mean 1 cup of fruit and 1/2 cup of yogurt.

Dh or no DH I AM in control of my behaviours. You'll probably see a lot more babbling posts from me in the evening, about all sorts of stuff not directly diet/maintenance related. Bear with me please - it's the loneliness speaking out loud.

Dagmar :tired: :ink:

silverbirch
09-13-2013, 06:56 AM
You'll probably see a lot more babbling posts from me

And from me in the late afternoon (that might be around 12 noon in North America) - it's the annoyance of making a meal at my lowest point in the day.

:hug: to all babblers.

Mudpie
09-13-2013, 07:32 AM
And from me in the late afternoon (that might be around 12 noon in North America) - it's the annoyance of making a meal at my lowest point in the day.

:hug: to all babblers.

birchie May I call you that? Late afternoon seems to be my lowest point too, in terms of resisting food. I have a theory that people should take naps in the late afternoon to offset this. Unfortunately napping hasn't caught on in North American culture - people always look at me sideways when I say that I like to take a nap in the afternoon.

We can all babble away together - 3FC's version of "Ulysses" :lol3:

Dagmar :cb: TGIF and I mean it man!

silverbirch
09-13-2013, 08:56 AM
birchie May I call you that? Late afternoon seems to be my lowest point too, in terms of resisting food. I have a theory that people should take naps in the late afternoon to offset this. Unfortunately napping hasn't caught on in North American culture - people always look at me sideways when I say that I like to take a nap in the afternoon.

You may. As my mum says, 'You can call me anything you like as long as you don't call me late for my dinner!'

I did some exercises this morning and was hit by extreme fatigue. I am so tired I cannot tell you. This led to an early lunch of cheese on toast which wasn't strictly planned. My shoulders are very sore and I can hardly keep my eyes open.

'I hear you, o body, and I understand. I will have a rest day. I will stop over-doing it. I will get to bed even earlier.'

Dagmar, I am thinking of having a zizz even now. (I'm not at work or driving.) It is 12.55.

I am beside myself with annoyance/frustration/wonderment as this cuts right across what I had planned in order to just get through the day. Time to rethink, I think.

ICUwishing
09-13-2013, 09:58 AM
I am hugely in favor of naps! I would love to see the siesta brought to the US, since we've already adopted so many other awesome bits from our southern neighbors (who the heck needs ketchup when we have salsa?). There is nothing quite as reinvigorating as the 20 minute power nap!

silver and Dagmar, my danger zone for as long as I've been working is about 3 - 5pm. It is the only time I am vulnerable to 3 servings of chips or the restless scanning of the pantry or refrigerator, which results in meaningless chewing frenzies. I forget what term Robin used for that behavior. :chin:

Dagmar, would there be any value of setting up a "date night" every two weeks or so for a few hours with DH, whilst you inch your way toward November 1? It sounds like he could use a break and refresher too.

allison, the only defeat is giving up. Do the workout today, get back on track, and keep plugging away. You and I tend to lose on the sawtooth graph, I've noticed, since we can be sidetracked by yummy stuff and good times. ;)

ds, I see the dilemma there. I guess I'd take it from the standpoint of, if we accept that a pound of fat is 3500 extra calories (personally, I think there's a lot of nuances that affect that number), how many extra calories do you want to budget for during the holiday? I am an eggnog FANATIC, so I should be trying to lose at least an extra 5. :D There's a reason I don't buy or make any of the stuff before December 1, and it has to be gone by the time I go back to work in the new year!

JayZee, I can't add anything about the dress shopping that hasn't been said. You're bucking the culture by not NEEDING to lose weight, and I agree that if you try to get in an unhappy place just to meet some twisted standard, that is what will affect your pictures. Concentrate on eating your normal healthy food so you will continue to be your normal healthy and radiant self on the big day!

Saw a 150.5 this morning, 2nd time this month. I have a 5k to do tomorrow on a very flat route. I think I might try to run the whole thing, albeit extremely slowly, just to see if I can. It's not like I'm going to overheat - tonight's low is expected to be 40F! Brrrr!

Happy Friday the 13th!

alinnell
09-13-2013, 10:20 AM
You may. As my mum says, 'You can call me anything you like as long as you don't call me late for my dinner!'

So funny, one of my employees yesterday said "you can call me anything but don't call me unemployed."

I got my workout done last night after dinner and it felt great. In fact, it was easier than the one Monday right after work and before dinner. I may have to continue with this. Weight down this morning almost 2 pounds (total--not for the day).

Shannon in ATL
09-13-2013, 01:49 PM
Birchie - I think the name 'birchie' originally came from Alena (Tomato). Every time I use it I think of her. :) I am also weary today, with no time for it.

Dagmar - I'm sorry for your current stress. Hang in there, honey.

Allison - when I exercise in the morning I ALWAYS feel better the rest of the day and seem to enjoy the workout more than in the afternoon.

I could take a nap every afternoon. Seriously. I wish it would take off here.

I started reading Leigh Peele from Saef & JayEll's comments, and I posted something that was talking to me in the weekly chat by accident. So, I'm going to put it here again, too. :)

Something from Leigh Peele that is talking to me right now:

"Looking below, you can gain some examples of what can take place when you have been in a deficit too long. It should be noted most of these things can be general side effects of fat loss or completely separate issues all together. This is not a list to diagnose or confirm any particular illness or disease and is based on review literature and anecdotal evidence.

Sudden inability to complete workouts at standard performing level
Stalled fat loss
Increase in fluid retention on a regular basis
Feeling unmotivated and lacking energy
Increased susceptibility to colds, sore throats and other illnesses
Decrease body temperature from previous normal levels
Alterations in appetite
Decrease in performance
Insomnia
Aches or pain in the muscles and/or joints
Fatigue
Headaches
Elevated morning pulse
Disordered eating habits/thoughts"

A lot of these things seem to be applying to me right now. Now I have to figure out how to fix it.

alinnell
09-13-2013, 02:11 PM
Shannon~I used to like doing my workouts first thing in the morning, too, but I just can't wrap my head around getting up 45 minutes earlier than I already do now. I get up at 5 AM! This allows me to: feed the cats, pour a cup of coffee, take a shower, put on makeup, do my hair and get dressed. Then I feed the dogs, get the paper, pour another cup of coffee and relax for 15 minutes or so while I read. Then I make the bed, check to see if the animals need anything (litter box emptied, dog poop picked up, dry food given to cats, etc.), pour my last cup of coffee and then see if I need to take the garbage out. One final visit to the bathroom to check my hair and I'm out the door between 6:30 and 6:40 AM. I start work at 7 AM.

I usually leave work at about 4 PM and will run an errand on the way home if needed. Then I'll feed the cats, clean up the kitchen (cuz you never know if they cats have been on the counters), empty the dishwasher, set the table, feed the dogs and start getting dinner ready. On Monday, I did a workout before I did any of the kitchen stuff. It left me feeling kind of out of it. I probably should have had a small snack before the workout, but didn't think of it. But last night doing the workout after dinner was good. I didn't feel like I had to do anything and the time just flew by (I could have kept going on, but I wanted to go read my book--next time I'll take the book to read while on the treadmill).

Your list from Leigh Peele only had one thing that resonated with me--feeling unmotivated and lacking energy. Motivation is my #1 enemy when it comes to working out. I wish it weren't so. I guess I should say that the aches and pains in the muscles and joints is in there, too. Last night I sat reading with my massaging heating pad on my back (I had totally forgotten that I had one!). It was quite relaxing and after doing that for two evenings, my back is feeling better. Now to make my knees stop hurting (I ordered some Traumeel to see if that helps). (But deep down I think it is my weight that is bothering my joints.)

JayZeeJay
09-13-2013, 03:26 PM
They don't do that for the groom, do they? "You have to lose 15 lbs. before we'll rent you a tux"
Unfortunately he's quite tall and very lean (6', about 150) so sometimes I feel like either a short dumpling or a short muscular behemoth next to him.

Shannon The woman who sold you your first wedding dress should be beaten with a big, big stick.
Amen to this.

Neurodoc: Thank you for sharing your experience with wedding diets, because that is exactly what I predict would likely happen with me. I can eat at a deficit either long-term but very slightly (my current goal), or more strictly for just a few weeks. Anything more extreme and I quickly go off the deep end into binging behavior.

My insecurity stems from the fact that I am naturally muscular with broad shoulders. At my current size/weight, I gladly rock a tank top or bike shorts. But I have always looked slightly ridiculous in frilly feminine clothing and I suspect most wedding dresses qualify as such. For some reason, my insecure brain thinks a bit of weight loss will make me more feminine and less like the Hulk in ivory taffeta. :)

alinnell
09-13-2013, 06:23 PM
Jay, I don't categorize 5'7" as short. My SIL who is 5' 1/4" is short. And why not go strapless and rock those muscles?

bargoo
09-13-2013, 08:25 PM
Jay, you are not short. Your BF is only 5 inches taller than you.
I am 5 feet even, now that is short.

Mudpie
09-13-2013, 08:27 PM
Jay, I don't categorize 5'7" as short. My SIL who is 5' 1/4" is short. And why not go strapless and rock those muscles?

JayZ I'm not for one moment suggesting that you buy your dress from eBay but I checked out "beach" wedding dresses there just out of curiosity. There are a number of strapless fairly simple designs that you would probably ROCK! Depending on how formal your celebration is you are the one who will choose how "fluffy" a dress you wear.

If I were getting married (of course I'm much shorter and older than you but I am a curvy muscular short woman) I'd probably go with a sheath dress or a shift in an interesting fabric.

JayZeeJay
09-13-2013, 09:21 PM
JayZ I'm not for one moment suggesting that you buy your dress from eBay but I checked out "beach" wedding dresses there just out of curiosity. There are a number of strapless fairly simple designs that you would probably ROCK! Depending on how formal your celebration is you are the one who will choose how "fluffy" a dress you wear.

If I were getting married (of course I'm much shorter and older than you but I am a curvy muscular short woman) I'd probably go with a sheath dress or a shift in an interesting fabric.

I would be totally down with eBay! Except for not being able to try it on first. And I think something simple and shorter, like a shift, is perfect. And maybe strapless, like the other ladies also suggested. Except I have strapless dress slippage fear. Maybe if it fits right, that won't happen.

Plus I don't think I am into wearing white. I mean really - I'm almost 40. That ship sailed long ago.

saef
09-13-2013, 10:59 PM
And maybe strapless, like the other ladies also suggested. Except I have strapless dress slippage fear. Maybe if it fits right, that won't happen.

Oh my dear, as a woman, I feel bound to share my knowledge of certain stuff (see below).

When I shopped in some Manhattan resale shops -- in deepest eating disorder days, when I was under 110 lbs -- I'd find dresses with this still clinging inside.

I said, "Uck, what is this?" and the saleslady laughed in a condescending way before explaining.

Ever since, I have used it on a regular basis, not only on certain dresses but also at the office on certain blouses. Now I would never be without it.

http://www.amazon.com/Hollywood-Fashion-Tape-Double-Stick-Strips-36/dp/B000K9NZJE

http://l4.zassets.com/images/z/1/7/6/1/7/2/1761722-1-MULTIVIEW.jpg

Mudpie
09-14-2013, 06:56 AM
Oh my dear, as a woman, I feel bound to share my knowledge of certain stuff (see below).

When I shopped in some Manhattan resale shops -- in deepest eating disorder days, when I was under 110 lbs -- I'd find dresses with this still clinging inside.

I said, "Uck, what is this?" and the saleslady laughed in a condescending way before explaining.

Ever since, I have used it on a regular basis, not only on certain dresses but also at the office on certain blouses. Now I would never be without it.

http://www.amazon.com/Hollywood-Fashion-Tape-Double-Stick-Strips-36/dp/B000K9NZJE

http://l4.zassets.com/images/z/1/7/6/1/7/2/1761722-1-MULTIVIEW.jpg

This stuff is what they use (I think) to give the really really skinny underwear models some bosom. Chanel Iman (I think that's the name) is a beautiful but really skinny girl and she now models for Victoria's Secret. I think they must put lots of this stuff on her to give her any suggestion of a bust.

Speaking of frilly underwear would any of you have any suggestions for which company I should choose for a gift card for my almost 16 year old niece? She will turn 16 at the end of October and I, as the naughty auntie who gave her a very sensible book about sex, would like for her to buy herself some nice lingerie AND some jammies too.

We have either Victoria's Secret or La Vie en Rose up here.

Dagmar :devil:

BillBlueEyes
09-14-2013, 07:30 AM
Am I allowed to know about this stuff?

silverbirch
09-14-2013, 07:56 AM
Certainly, Bill. One of these days you'll find the information useful. Perhaps as the answer to a pub quiz question. :)

alinnell
09-14-2013, 11:12 AM
I actually use plain old Scotch brand double stick tape! I have one blouse that never sits just right--a little tape and voila! it stays in place.

bargoo
09-14-2013, 01:04 PM
This stuff is what they use (I think) to give the really really skinny underwear models some bosom. Chanel Iman (I think that's the name) is a beautiful but really skinny girl and she now models for Victoria's Secret. I think they must put lots of this stuff on her to give her any suggestion of a bust.

Speaking of frilly underwear would any of you have any suggestions for which company I should choose for a gift card for my almost 16 year old niece? She will turn 16 at the end of October and I, as the naughty auntie who gave her a very sensible book about sex, would like for her to buy herself some nice lingerie AND some jammies too.

We have either Victoria's Secret or La Vie en Rose up here.

Dagmar :devil:
Give her a gift certificate to either store, she'll be ecstatic.

Mudpie
09-14-2013, 04:03 PM
Certainly, Bill. One of these days you'll find the information useful. Perhaps as the answer to a pub quiz question. :)

Or if you're picked to be a contestant on "Jeopardy" it might be the Daily Double. :lol3:

Dagmar :D

saef
09-14-2013, 05:54 PM
Dagmar, actually, taping up boobs to get better cleavage requires a different product.

https://hollywoodfashionsecrets.com/product/breast-lift-tape/

The one that I first showed in the thread is double-sided tape, very narrow and flexible, which doesn't make a crinkling noise when you move.

Bill, it's probably good for you to know that women on display are often illusionists.

JayEll
09-14-2013, 07:34 PM
Here's something anyone can use--if you have the hair to allow it.

http://cosmesearch.com/secretlift/

Mudpie
09-14-2013, 07:58 PM
Here's something anyone can use--if you have the hair to allow it.

http://cosmesearch.com/secretlift/

That's hilarious! Sorry, I'm thinking photoshop is much more in use in the video than the facelift tapes. But I have been wrong many many times before this.

And now inquiring minds :p want to know if there's a similar product for the backs of the thighs when you're wearing a bikini - can't very well use the Spanx there, can we?

bargoo
09-15-2013, 09:28 AM
That's hilarious! Sorry, I'm thinking photoshop is much more in use in the video than the facelift tapes. But I have been wrong many many times before this.

And now inquiring minds :p want to know if there's a similar product for the backs of the thighs when you're wearing a bikini - can't very well use the Spanx there, can we?

I have enough trouble getting a wig on !

silverbirch
09-15-2013, 12:40 PM
Sunday - I'm not getting the hang of this at all. Looking back to when I was successful at losing weight, I was lifting a lot and I wasn't at home as much. Those things aren't possible nowadays so I've got to come at it from a different angle.

saef
09-15-2013, 12:42 PM
I've been in a good place at my weight, actually maintaining, though higher than I want to. But I suspect what has helped is that I am now running at least once and often twice a week. I'm unsurprised to find I'm slower to recover from running than from lower-impact cardio at the gym. I still consider the twice-a-week run to be experimental. I will give it another week. The changeup of my work schedule to commute on Mondays will make this harder to do.

ICUwishing
09-15-2013, 02:21 PM
This week's average is 151.5, 0.8 down from last week. Next week is a huge unknown - I won't have a scale, and will not have much control over what I eat. It'll be a good test of on-the-fly life management.

I ran the Applefest 5K in 33:46 yesterday. It would be hard to find more ideal conditions for a fast time - it was quite cool (48 at race time!), no wind, and incredibly flat. I didn't run the whole thing; I threw in a few walk breaks each mile. Guess that's the next step, to increase how far I can go each time. :) I think I'll make that a goal for the November 17th race we signed up for.

silverbirch
09-15-2013, 03:58 PM
Becky, tell me about your weekly average. Do you run it all the time, over the past seven days, or do you just calculate it once a week?

Saef, Becky - both running. Hmm. I really would like to but the niggly SI joint hates it.

Mudpie
09-15-2013, 05:07 PM
I used to jog 6-8K with my sheperd/lab mix Kaya every morning except Sundays. She stopped when she was 11 and so did I at 30. I tried, about 6 years ago (to see if I still could at 50), to jog along the boardwalk for 2K. Pulled something in my thigh and was limping for 6 weeks. Tried again after recovering from that and pulled something in my butt.

Sometimes the body just won't do stuff any more once it gets to a certain point in life. For me that's jogging - no thanks my lower body says.

ICUwishing
09-15-2013, 05:14 PM
Silverbirch, I weigh daily Monday-Sunday and take the 7 day average. Like everyone else, I get the unexplained blips and the temporary "whooshes". As an engineer who works constantly with statistics, I am immune to what happens on a day-to-day basis. A single daily data point is meaningless to me - I'm numb to them. What does catch my attention is an average based on a properly obtained sample (same time every morning with all the same conditions) over a long period of time. :D I don't make graphs of it (I used to), but a control chart essentially follows an average over time, with a +/- "buffer" based on standard deviations. With a control chart, there are strict rules for interpretation based on the sampling. This is the sort of control that makes me the most comfortable and it helps separate a true trend from "noise". My weight averages were, literally, out of control on the upside, which meant it was time to adjust the process. Hence, the "Trust the Process" in my profile. :) If anybody really wants gory details about control charts, they are here: http://www.wikihow.com/Create-a-Control-Chart . Instead of using a - d in the example, I use Mon/Tues .../Sun. 20 "subgroups" is 20 weeks of data, which I actually do have, back from 2009 when I lost the bulk of my bulk. A control chart is well suited to Maintenance - it's the theory behind the practice of the 5-bar maintainer's ticker that Bright Angel uses. Are you sorry you asked yet? ;)

silverbirch
09-15-2013, 06:10 PM
Thanks, Becky, for a full answer to the question. I award 5 extra points for the excellent link. We like stats here but the properly obtained sample can be a problem sometimes (usual reasons - forget to do/write down/remember, refuse consciously or unconsciously, away from standard apparatus, standard apparatus on the blink etc).

I might try the average method. I tend to run my eye over the readings and look for peaks, troughs, trends: this is partly because I haven't have a computer at home (except shared and thus inaccessible ones). Am getting one though so all this will change, a bit, at least.

dstalksalot
09-15-2013, 10:46 PM
This discussion on double sided tape is cracking me up. I have never or will never attempt a strapless or spaghetti dress. The support I would need can't be had with the bras that are available strapless.

Someone asked me how many extra calories I was looking at for Holidays when I suggested losing a few as a buffer. I am not sure exactly. Thanksgiving lends its self to pecan pie. My old tradition was to eat a slice the day after for breakfast.....but that is about 800 calories after what ever else I would be eating the day before. I need to remind my self to eat like a skinny person because I AM A SKINNY PERSON.

I think my plan going forward will be to eat basic and non splurging for a week or two before Thanksgiving..... Have two days of moderately heavier meals and then a week of lighter eating after. Rinse and repeat for Christmas. That should be more than fine unless I go way off plan. Last year I tried to make up the overage and felt like I was starving the week after Christmas. This year I want to just go back to "normal" after.

I need a strategy though in order to feel like I'm working my plan in the mist of holiday junk food.

neurodoc
09-15-2013, 10:49 PM
Yom Kippur fasting has given me the motivation to switch up my daily intake more radically than I have in years. I have decided to try eating only a single piece of fruit with coffee for breakfast, only veggies and 3-4 oz of protein for lunch (and more veggies or another piece of fruit for afternoon snack if absolutely needed), and then have a 1000 calorie dinner/dessert. This is what I did today, and it was fairly bearable. I'll let you know how it goes next weekend.

Shannon in ATL
09-15-2013, 11:19 PM
I love the fashion tapes - i gave both mentioned here, as well as thin stick on and silicone reusable versions of bra replacements and a couple of different cleavage tapes. I'm a socket for gimmick items.

I ran, well walked a lot, a 15k today. I finished, which was my goal. Next year I'll get back into shape and try for time again. Now I just want to survive.

Birchie - i have a weight chart with monthly and weekly averages going back five years now. Not as detailed as Becky's the but lots of info.

Andrea - i have read a lot in support for that fasting plan. Let us know how it goes.

alinnell
09-16-2013, 12:01 PM
I forgot to post this morning, but I believe I'm down a little over 2 pounds for this week.

Becky, I like your averages. I've been weighing daily and although I'm higher today than on the weekend (big dinner last night) the average looks good. But I'm so embarrassed by both my weight and the average that I refuse to put it down here.

saef
09-16-2013, 03:40 PM
I can't believe how a really simple change to my routine has thrown me. On Mondays, I have to commute to headquarters in CT, but will see my therapist at 7:15 AM beforehand. So there goes my nascent routine of going for a run on Monday morning. I'd have to run after work. Or do something else at the gym entirely. But not spin because I did that on Saturday & Sunday. And I'm sitting here nonplussed, thinking: Is that actually allowed, to run after work, rather than in the morning? My mind is weirdly similar to an ant that is used to going straight forward and can't figure out an alternate route when something is placed in its path. I can be so ingenious in solving creative issues but when it comes to my own life, I'm easily thrown.

No idea what my weight is, but I keep eating six or seven fresh figs every night for dessert. I like when they're a little sticky on the outside. Those are always sweeter than the others.

Shannon in ATL
09-16-2013, 04:11 PM
I think I'm going to get a fig tree. And 'simple' changes like that throw me, too. They are never really simple.

traveling michele
09-17-2013, 11:14 AM
I've tracked for one day. Down one pound. Hmmmmm.... at this rate I'll be back under my redline in less than a week! Ha Ha!!! I wish it was that easy.

alinnell
09-17-2013, 11:35 AM
I wish it were that easy, too, Michele!

I've been tracking my food on My Fitness Pal which syncs to the Up app on my phone. I was originally tracking my food on the Up app but MFP is so much easier (UP is phone only, MFP is either phone or computer and I can see the computer much better). The Up app tracks my movement (goal of 10,000 steps a day is really a lot!) and my sleep (wants me to get at least 7 hours of sleep which I do most days).

Speaking of seeing, I think I need to see my optometrist soon. I'm thinking of trying bifocal contacts so I can get rid of these blasted reading glasses!

silverbirch
09-17-2013, 05:57 PM
I agree, Allison, that 10,000 steps is a lot to fit in. I've been wearing a pedometer for a few months and I'm finding it's helping me to seek out extra bits of walking. I've found that what I think of as fairly lengthy errand-running only takes me to about 4k or 5k. I really have to build in a "walk" as well and that's not always possible. It's surprising how much I pace around our tiny house, though. For me, 10k steps is about 4 miles.

alinnell
09-17-2013, 06:17 PM
On a non-exercise day I average about 2500-3000 steps per day. On exercise days (usually 2 miles on the treadmill) I average 7500-8000 steps.

neurodoc
09-17-2013, 11:50 PM
"For me, 10k steps is about 4 miles."
Wow, I never owned a pedometer, so I never looked. But I have been preaching the 10K steps a day thing to my patients for years. I had no idea it was that much (I figured more like 2 miles). Yeah, I'm guessing no 80 year old with Parkinson's disease every met that 10K-a-day goal I so breezily set before them.

As for me, today makes day 4 of my new "only veggies and a small amount of protein all day, then 1000 calories for dinner" diet. Modified Fast-5 I guess. So far so good - no binges, no excessive hunger. As expected, the lower carbs overall has given me a little whoosh, so I'm at my standard (these days) low weight of 126 and change. Now, the hard part- keeping to this when the scale stops its downward plunge and flattens out toward the looong slow creep of real fat loss, usually 1/4-1/3 pound a week in my recent experience.

Mudpie
09-18-2013, 06:25 AM
"For me, 10k steps is about 4 miles."
Wow, I never owned a pedometer, so I never looked. But I have been preaching the 10K steps a day thing to my patients for years. I had no idea it was that much (I figured more like 2 miles). Yeah, I'm guessing no 80 year old with Parkinson's disease every met that 10K-a-day goal I so breezily set before them.

As for me, today makes day 4 of my new "only veggies and a small amount of protein all day, then 1000 calories for dinner" diet. Modified Fast-5 I guess. So far so good - no binges, no excessive hunger. As expected, the lower carbs overall has given me a little whoosh, so I'm at my standard (these days) low weight of 126 and change. Now, the hard part- keeping to this when the scale stops its downward plunge and flattens out toward the looong slow creep of real fat loss, usually 1/4-1/3 pound a week in my recent experience.

Your diet sounds so hard Andrea. I hope the results are worth your effort!

I once thought I could stay under 1500 cals per day for my maintenance weight. :rofl: My body would demand :rollpin: more calories about every 3rd day and I usually wasn't able to stop once I started eating. :drool:

I haven't figured out what I'm going to do re even getting under red line right now. I haven't gotten on the scale in over 2 weeks and don't want to know right now. Giving away 4 pairs of fall pants shows pretty graphically what's happening to my weight. Ever upwards! :eek:

DH skipped a night at the new house last night - he is really really :tired: both physically and mentally - and we messed around watching all sorts of funny stuff on TV via Utube. I didn't realize quite how lonely I had been for the last month or so. And I've been eating to fill that loneliness and also to try to replenish some of the energy lost by not sleeping much for about a month. I have been really worried about DH collapsing physically and my worrying generally translates into not sleeping much @ night.

I think we can now both take a night off from the new house at least once a week and relax with each other. There is still the pressure of the next dog sit (11 days long and no yard for the dogs) and then marshalling 20 or so people to replace me while I take a week "off" :lol: to move and unpack.

I know I have to do a pre-emptive weight loss or I will go way over 140 lbs. by November, when all of this two-house business ends. I should start now but I have no energy for it and I have a dog sit tomorrow to Saturday.

I'm going to try to not eat junk one night at a time I guess. Tonite I have my dad's papers to sort and throw out - that will keep me busy until bedtime.

Dagmar :tired: :faint:

alinnell
09-18-2013, 11:04 AM
I didn't get my workout in last night because DH's car is in the shop (had to order a part) and that meant I couldn't go home at my normal 4 PM(ish) and get all my home chores done and fix dinner. I like my routine and things like that that get in the way cause me stress and I just needed to sit and relax after dinner. I hope to get the workout done today. Can't do it tomorrow as we have a function after dinner.

I've decided the Up band doesn't really track my awake times during the night. If I physically get up and out of bed it says I've been awake, but if I wake up and toss and turn a bit it records it as "light sleep" which is opposed to "deep sleep" which I guess means I'm sleeping and not moving. I know for a fact that I was awake at 3 AM but didn't get out of bed so it thought I was still asleep. Next time I wake up and have trouble getting back to sleep I will get out of bed and then see if it figures out how long I take to get back to sleep. I did get back to sleep in small bits but kept waking up again.

My weight is back down to Saturday morning's reading. This is my last weekend with DS around (we move him to his dorm on Sunday) so this should be my last weekend where we eat a bit more. But two or three days of "up" and then back down again isn't too much to deal with.

Andrea, your plan looks spot-on to me. My stats are showing far too many carbs and I'm sure that is slowing my loss.

Dagmar~good luck on your impending dog sit. I'd hate not having a yard to turn the dogs out into.

traveling michele
09-18-2013, 11:21 AM
Andrea-- your plan sounds difficult to me as well. What do your before dinner meals look like if you don't mind me asking?

traveling michele
09-18-2013, 11:26 AM
Dagmar-- yes, you both deserve a night off here and there. You are working so hard that it is difficult not to overeat from exhaustion, stress, loneliness, etc.

Allison-- how do you feel about ds going away? I'm sure he's ready??

My younger dd is showing some signs of homesickness but nowhere near as bad as last year!

Older dd has a true PHOBIA of frogs. If that is the case, you shouldn't move to Texas where they have giant TOADS! She called me last night hysterical because there was a giant toad on her welcome mat and she couldn't go outside to take Owen for his "last out". I literally talked to her for over 30 minutes to encourage/push her to get out with Owen. Once out though, she couldn't get back in. She was hysterical. I kept telling her that her neighbors were going to call the police-- it was 10:45 pm! She finally threw a mat over him and managed to get inside. It was almost funny but I really felt sorry for her as it is a true phobia (stemming from her putting her foot into her horseriding boot as a child and there was a giant toad inside!). We're hoping he finds a new home soon....

Shannon in ATL
09-18-2013, 11:45 AM
I've been working on eating less carb and pushing more protein. I haven't had bread in 3.5 weeks, and haven't had rice in over a week. We've been making a lot of veggie stir fry with some kind of meat, chicken and veggie skewers, things like that. I think I feel better. :)

alinnell
09-18-2013, 11:59 AM
Michele~I'm ok with DS leaving, I guess. It'll be different, that's for sure. I got home extra late yesterday and as I drove home I was going through my list of things I needed to do as soon as I got home (feeding the animals was #1) and when we opened the garage door, there was DS--feeding the dogs (so I knew he'd also fed the cats). He's quite reliable and I'll miss that a lot!

I asked him last night what he wants for his "last supper" before he leaves. He said mac and cheese and I automatically thought Kraft but then he said, no, MY mac and cheese (which is a recipe my Mom used to make when I was young--a family favorite). That made me feel good (but it won't be diet friendly).

We're having another pasta dinner either tonight or tomorrow. I really need to cut those out.

silverbirch
09-18-2013, 12:44 PM
I've been working on eating less carb and pushing more protein. I haven't had bread in 3.5 weeks, and haven't had rice in over a week. We've been making a lot of veggie stir fry with some kind of meat, chicken and veggie skewers, things like that. I think I feel better. :)

"Think you feel better"? D'you mean in yourself? Better mood? Less tired? And has there been any weight or clothes change? ...end of interrogation. :)

The SO is home and making the tea. That means I'm not going to eat anything off piste before the meal. Phew. Feeling very, very full after lots of fibre in last few days.

neurodoc
09-18-2013, 10:43 PM
Dagmar, I'm doing fine so far; I'm sure I'll hit the wall soon, because I always start to crave carbs excessively (which leads to binging) when I restrict too much, but I feel like nothing I've done in the last 6+ months has caused my weight to budge downward by more than 2-3 pounds (which then came right back up again with the first binge), and I'm really disgusted that I can't get under red line.

Michelle, if by before-dinner meals you mean what do I eat for breakfast and lunch, the answer is - a piece of fruit for breakfast, and a big pile of veggies for lunch, with (so far) 3 oz. of water-packed tuna. I also had an apple for a pre-gym snack at 4 today. Tomorrow, I will have 1/2 c. 2% cottage cheese as my protein for breakfast, and veggies and a piece of fruit for lunch. The goal is <200 cal. and < 30 (pref. <25) g. carbs until dinner.

Mudpie
09-19-2013, 06:50 AM
My body apparently no longer tolerates peanut butter. Smart body :D. I even got the organic "just peanuts" kind but no, the oil floating on top put me off and then, after eating one piece of toast with PB as my evening snack, I started feeling sick to my stomach :barf: about 20 minutes later. I still feel queasy this morning.

Out it went - no biggie as it was on sale, which is why I tried it in the first place. I will buy 4 jars to contribute to the Thanksgiving food bank drive but probably the regular kind (with the icing sugar).

Dagmar :cool:

JayZeeJay
09-19-2013, 12:36 PM
My body apparently no longer tolerates peanut butter. Smart body :D.
Interesting - why do you think this is?

Andrea: do you think your new plan fits the way you would "naturally" eat? I ask because if I had my way, I would do most of my eating before 4 pm. But it doesn't fit either my frantic work schedule or my fiancÚ's love of a big dinner. I am wondering if I could try your plan and convince my body that it can wait to eat until later.

I am eating too much lately, straight up. Some vicious PMS cravings for carbs have been taking me down, and work stress (experiments gone wrong, a valuable employee giving her two weeks, book chapters to write, a new course to start up...) is NOT helping. But these are excuses, not reasons.

traveling michele
09-19-2013, 12:48 PM
Jay-- what type of work do you do? Work stress is the worst. So, is being tired. I am sooooo tired..... and I have a headache.... I suspect from being tired......

I feel like I came here to say something else but my tired brain is not cooperating.... oy....

alinnell
09-19-2013, 01:00 PM
I slept well last night and am perplexed as to why I was starving when I woke up. Normally I can make it to work and get an hour or so of work done before the hunger begins. Today, not so much and Dagmar's discussion of peanut butter prompted me to make an open faced PB&J for my breakfast. Thankfully that was enough...until now. I guess I'll eat a plum. Usually I don't get hungry after dinner and especially after having pasta which is what we had last night (loaded with tons of vegetables and some spicy Italian sausage). So I really don't understand my hunger this morning.

And I didn't get my workout yesterday--too much stress and a long phone call when I got home which disrupted the whole evening.

And then DS showed me how much he had packed up for Sunday's move. And it made me too sad to think about a workout. Not tonight either as we have a function at DD's old school.

Shannon in ATL
09-19-2013, 01:15 PM
Allison - I get more hungry after pasta than other meals. The carbs burn up fast and I wake up starving. I hope the move goes well with DS this weekend. :hug:

JayZee - work stress does it to me, every time. Something goes wrong and I reach for a snack. Something goes right and I reach for a snack. I think something is going to go wrong but it might not and I reach for a snack.

Dagmar - is it the peanut butter or the bread? I find that I can't tolerate bread as easily lately.

Birchie - I say I think I feel better, because I'm not completely sure. Some days I feel less bloated, some days I don't. Some days I have energy, some days I don't. My weight hasn't dropped a whit in three weeks, but it isn't going up. My pants fit better two weeks ago, then last week were too tight again. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

I'm tired today. And tense. And stressed. And things are piling up and making me crazy. And I'm about to drink Raw Meal organic meal reaplacement sludge for lunch. LOL DH has been drinking it for lunches at work for a couple of weeks and says he feels great. As he has lost close to 30 pounds this year I figure I'll give it a try. Drank it yesterday - it was almost tolerable.

JayZeeJay
09-19-2013, 08:20 PM
Jay-- what type of work do you do? Work stress is the worst. So, is being tired.

Being tired compounds the stress for me - my tired brain is less able to keep up and that in turn makes me panic more. I'm a faculty member so I run my own research "lab" (all 2 of us). I am head of a diagnostic service also so I spend lots of time in that lab. I write lectures and teach classes and labs, I write papers and book chapters and apply for grants constantly and do administrative committee service...sadly, a lot of this is done at night and on weekends. I have to remind myself often that I took this job willingly, no one held a gun to my head.

Shannon in ATL: I googled the Raw Meal organic meal replacement and found it on Amazon. The reviews had me laughing out loud. You're not the only one to call it sludge! Most reviews said something like "OK, this tastes terrible. I mean REALLY terrible. But you can choke it down in less than a minute. Or maybe add something like sugar or fruit juice or make it a smoothie to get it to go down. But once you do, you'll feel great!"
It was hardly compelling to buy the stuff. Is it really that disgusting? I'm actually curious enough now that I want to try it, just to experience the gritty awfulness.

neurodoc
09-19-2013, 08:55 PM
JayZee- wow, I didn't realize you were also an academic. Your life is nearly exactly like mine except as a clinician faculty member, I have less time for research and teaching, and more time for clinical care. In fact, just today I had the miserable experience of being told by my chair that it was no longer acceptable for me to do 2 full days of clinic per week, I need to increase my revenue generation and therefore need to go to 2 1/2 days per week. I too need to remind myself often that I chose this life voluntarily.
To answer your other question, the entire reason I've moved almost all of my calories to the evening is because I couldn't stop overeating at night. I finally decided to give in to what my brain apparently craves, and deliberately plan for the overeating by not eating the rest of the day. I am hoping that the physical capacity of my stomach will prevent me from eating more than ~1000 calories between 6 and bedtime (I eat at least 2 cups of veggies as part of dinner, to assist with prevention of overeating more calorie-dense foods). So far so good.

alinnell
09-19-2013, 10:50 PM
My niece is an advocate of the raw diet and does the veggie smoothies for breakfast and dinner. I do believe she eats cooked stuff for dinner, but I'm not sure. I could NEVER go full time raw. It sounds disgusting and I like some of my stuff hot and cooked and I like meat. She's rather vegan, too.

I've thought about "juicing" but friends who have done so said they weren't satisfied and a lot of the recipes were gross. And some juicing machines take out all the good stuff (fiber) and leave nothing but calories so I don't know. I suppose if you do use the whole vegetable or fruit (in a blender rather than a juicer) it'd be better for you but terribly thick to drink unless you added a lot of water.

But I certainly would never say no to a huge plate of steamed vegetables for lunch every day. Yum! DH would (predictably) say he was bored with it after a day or two. He relishes variety thus us having Smart Ones prepared lunches Monday thru Friday.

saef
09-20-2013, 07:00 AM
I lost more than two pounds this week, despite taking a day off from exercising from being sick. I think it's the illness that resulted in my literally flushing the pounds away. I don't see this as a sustainable loss, though. It's too much like the infamous character in "The Devil Wears Prada" who's just a stomach bug away from her goal weight.

Feeling sluggish this morning & trying to send myself to the gym to lift weights, which I like better than cardio. There's so much work to do today at work, mostly writing, that I'm worrying I'll pay for being away from my desk rather than starting off at 7 AM to help clear it for the weekend.

Mudpie
09-20-2013, 08:08 AM
It sounds like I'm not the only one struggling with trying to balance all the work demands of life (including those at home) and having a bit of time "off". I think that's why I've taken a couple of months "off maintenance" - it all became too overwhelming and something had to go.

I'm not able to keep all the balls in the air any more. Some of them had to go. I'm looking forward to having time to cook and plan and eat good food again. I feel so much better when I have time for that.

Another month and a bit (don't even know what the date is exactly today)and I'm there.

Dagmar :tired:

traveling michele
09-20-2013, 11:41 AM
Wahoo Saef-- hopefully it stays off!!

My few days of tracking aren't proving as successful. I lost one pound the first day, stayed the same the next, .2 the next day, and BOOM-- it all came back today. Grumpy......

I'm trying to increase my fiber back as I had been good about it but have been slacking and I think it is causing "issues".....

On an unrelated (?) topic-- has anyone noticed they are losing more hair this time of year? My hair is falling out A LOT and I'm wondering if it is seasonal or if my thyroid meds are off AGAIN! I took my BP last night and this morning and it is LOW and my pulse is LOW but that is pretty typical for me.

Jay-- that's what it sounded like you did to me! I'm in Northern Cali. Are you at a University nearby?

Allison-- I bought dd a juicer and when I was with her this summer we juiced. She liked it much more than I did-- I felt kind of weird and nauseous and would get hungry quickly. I don't think she's using it now though because she said it was upsetting her stomach.

bargoo
09-20-2013, 12:28 PM
'I have a juicer but still use solid cooked food as well. I don't find the juice comes out thick, either, I don't add water as I want juice not water, I use a juicer because I am lazy about preparing vegies, I only use it once a day or less, I get more nutrients this way, Today I will make juice using carrots, apples, cucumbers, kale, ginger and I may throw some spinach in, too.
I'll be darned if I would prepare all those vegies when I can just throw them in the juicer,

bargoo
09-20-2013, 12:54 PM
It sounds like I'm not the only one struggling with trying to balance all the work demands of life (including those at home) and having a bit of time "off". I think that's why I've taken a couple of months "off maintenance" - it all became too overwhelming and something had to go.

I'm not able to keep all the balls in the air any more. Some of them had to go. I'm looking forward to having time to cook and plan and eat good food again. I feel so much better when I have time for that.

Another month and a bit (don't even know what the date is exactly today)and I'm there.

Interesting comment on taking time off of maintenance, I think of maintainence as a daily thing,, To each his own,

Shannon in ATL
09-20-2013, 01:03 PM
Shannon in ATL: I googled the Raw Meal organic meal replacement and found it on Amazon. The reviews had me laughing out loud. You're not the only one to call it sludge! Most reviews said something like "OK, this tastes terrible. I mean REALLY terrible. But you can choke it down in less than a minute. Or maybe add something like sugar or fruit juice or make it a smoothie to get it to go down. But once you do, you'll feel great!"
It was hardly compelling to buy the stuff. Is it really that disgusting? I'm actually curious enough now that I want to try it, just to experience the gritty awfulness.

It is pretty gritty awful, alright. LOL I've only done it two days now, but I think I have actually felt better after it. I haven't had any reflux in the last few weeks, the bread and wheat has helped with that. On the last two days with Raw Meal lunch I haven't felt that heavy, got to nap feeling right after lunch. More energy in the afternoon, and haven't had the urge to snack as much. Now, in the TMI line in case you try it, while it seems to be helping me be more regular, it does make things odd colors. LOL

The chocolate is much better than the vanilla chai. Much much better. And it is a lot better in really cold water. I'm about to go for day 3, I'll report back after lunch. :)

Shannon in ATL
09-20-2013, 01:05 PM
On an unrelated (?) topic-- has anyone noticed they are losing more hair this time of year? My hair is falling out A LOT and I'm wondering if it is seasonal or if my thyroid meds are off AGAIN! I took my BP last night and this morning and it is LOW and my pulse is LOW but that is pretty typical for me.

I just had this conversation with my hairdresser this week. I'm losing tons of hair, and my hairline is receding. She is getting me some follicle treatment at her salon store next week and gave me a 'wet brush' to use in the shower to comb through conditioner and to use after I rinse out when I brush. I've been told not to panic and buy the Bosley shampoo from an infomercial.

alinnell
09-20-2013, 01:11 PM
Bosley stuff apparently really works. Not that I've tried it. But he's a gazillionaire from it (I think he has a house here). Sorry you guys are having follicle failure.

JayZeeJay
09-20-2013, 04:23 PM
Wow, I too have been losing a lot of hair lately. A few days ago a large clump came out while brushing after a shower and I told my boyfriend "I'm starting to look like you!" (he's very bald). I may try the Bosley shampoo, not that I know anything about it. I just assumed that I was losing hair from stress, supposedly that happens more in women. Can you get the stuff from retailers? What's the deal with wet brushing?

The discussion about "taking a break" from maintenance due to overwhelming stress is timely for me. I think my issue is: am I taking a break from this ongoing effort to gradually lose a small amount of weight? Or am I taking a break from paying ANY attention to my net calories? There are certainly days where I'm held at work much too long, have to eat a late dinner from some vending machine (because I didn't pack a dinner) and get home far too late to run. Normally, I would beat myself up over that. Lately, I don't have the energy to care.

Andrea: Yes, academics... what euphemism fits it best? Job schizophrenia? I looked that word up lately and the non-psychiatric definition is "the coexistence of contradictory or incompatible elements". Yes.

Michele: Yep, in Nor Cal. I don't want to say where exactly, because I plan to continue complaining to you all about my job :smug:

silverbirch
09-20-2013, 05:37 PM
The DB's supper looked good and I was tempted, momentarily, but I walked away and did something else. Huge credit! I must keep practising this - once upon a time I was quite good at it. Perhaps it's like riding a bike. In fact, it is! So now I've told myself that, well, it's true.

And it's like swimming too.

traveling michele
09-20-2013, 06:32 PM
Hmmm.... it could be seasonal if many of us are experiencing it? That or we're all similar ages and stressed out! I do have the wet brush and use it at home-- if I shower at yoga I use a regular brush but maybe I should get another wet one. Because my hair is very curly, the regular brush tends to tug a lot of hair out. Bosley shampoo-- will check into it.

Jay-- totally understand your wish to stay somewhat anonymous!

Mudpie
09-20-2013, 07:39 PM
Interesting comment on taking time off of maintenance, I think of maintainence as a daily thing,, To each his own,

It IS a daily thing - one or two daily things over what I can handle right now. I can't stop feeding the cats, or doing laundry, or making lunches, or a bunch of other stuff so I'm not tracking my calories and weight and such. Right now I have a bit of time to post here as I lied to DH and told him I couldn't get home to feed our pets. I'm doing dishes and laundry as I post, and the dog still needs to go for a walk, and I've got to empty all the dirty towels out of my car, and fold bags, and, and . . . and I'm not even at my own house(s) with all the things that need to be done at each.

silverbirch
09-21-2013, 05:06 PM
Now I've got my own computer at home. Have input the data, have calculated the averages and we can see a steady increase in weight since I decided to lose weight a few weeks ago.

Secret weapon!

No eating supper with the DB, even if it looks great. I can always have it for breakfast the next day if it's that good.

Get real!

It's actually not supper that's my downfall as this happens rarely (but enough to be banned - it never, ever occurred back in the Golden Era of Weight Loss, GEWL, pronounced 'jewel').
Eating standing at the kitchen counter is the real problem. Again, this never, ever happened back in GEWL. So it has to be banned. Frankly, it's uncivilised.

OK, must go to bed now. See you tomorrow.

saef
09-21-2013, 07:07 PM
I've been sick for a week & a half, and finally figured out this morning that the two days on which I was sickest, I'd eaten big bowls of my vegetable soup the night before, and soon thereafter in the night, my stomach started rumbling. I think I've given myself food poisoning, honestly.

What I hate is looking on at the sunny, cool weather and missing out on it ... because I'm sick, or I'm working.

Seems a high price to pay for the slight weight loss, which will doubtless come back on once the sickness ebbs.

neurodoc
09-21-2013, 09:57 PM
Silverbirch, are you a calorie-counter? Whether you are or not, it may help for you to log your food for a few weeks, just to see how much you're actually taking in.

Saef, I did that once too, with a leftover lentil-beef soup that I apparently let stay out of the fridge just a bit too long. I too assumed that it was a stomach virus the first time, and as soon as I started to feel better, had another bowl of the same soup, because it was soup, and, well, soup is good for sick people. Yeah - never again.

So today marks the 8th day of my new diet plan. I weighed myself only once this week, midway through on Wed, and was down 1 pound. Of course, my weight fluctuates by 2 1/2 pounds over a couple of days, so that pound is well within the "noise" of the data. Unfortunately, even when I was on WW in my heyday of weight loss it would often take 3 weeks to lose a pound, and my recent experiences with weight loss have been even slower. I'll weigh again in the morning, and try not to be too discouraged when it is right back up to where I was a week ago.

Dagmar, you sound crazy busy. Does your dog-walking business take from 8 am to 5 pm straight? Do you have time in between dogs to do any of the tasks you are leaving for the evening? Can you ever multi-task planning meals while you have the dogs running outside? Or make multiple meals in one cooking session, and freeze/reheat it a few days later?

Count me among the hair shedders. But for me, it's a year-round phenomenon. I seem to find a big wodge (technical term) of hair in the drain every time I wash my hair. Of course, I only wash 2x/week (I have very curly, dry hair). So far, I don't seem to have any bald spots, thank goodness.

alinnell
09-21-2013, 09:57 PM
I've lost 3.1 pounds in 2 weeks.

I still can't bear to tell you my weight.

Confession.

ICUwishing
09-21-2013, 11:31 PM
I have zero clue about where I'm at, weight-wise. This is day 6 without a scale. :shrug: I've been mindful without being uptight. TOM decided to surprise me again early. We have been very, very busy and the days have been long. I can see resumes in my sleep. Tomorrow is the ride and drives; we have an open session in the morning and then the afternoon is an invite-only for our high-potential candidates. I'm just about at the end of my social rope. Having all of Monday to cruise home alone in total silence will be glorious!

traveling michele
09-22-2013, 03:16 PM
Good job Allison and Andrea!!

Saef-- I hope you're on the mend now.

I blew all of my gains (or losses) yesterday. I did a double workout as I wanted to get my 200th bikram class for the year done. So, after spin and bikram I was down over 3 pounds from my morning weight.

However, dh and I went to PF Changs. I ordered well but still ate too much (plus sodium of course). Then I talked dh into going to this new ice cream place where you choose your homemade cookie flavors and ice cream flavors (for a sandwich). It was amazing (I haven't had any dessert in months!) but dh just can't tolerate ice cream anymore so he said he NEVER will go again.

Scale was up a pound from yesterday. Oh well.....

silverbirch
09-22-2013, 05:37 PM
Great minds, Andrea! Thanks. I had got out my notebook yesterday to do a bit of tracking just in case it might shed more light. My pattern is quite the opposite of yours as I eat a good breakfast and can/should then eat progressivelt less through the day. Unless bored or annoyed.

:wave: Becky

Michele, why can't your DH tolerate ice cream any more? None of us can either (too sweet, too artificial in taste).

Allison, congrats! Just tell us the downward movements and occasional fluctuations up. I'm not broadcasting my weight either: it's never been at all helpful in the past.

Saef, be well. Yoghurt, perhaps, to replace the good bacteria?

traveling michele
09-22-2013, 06:14 PM
:wave: Becky

Michele, why can't your DH tolerate ice cream any more? None of us can either

Saef, be well. Yoghurt, perhaps, to replace the good bacteria?

Suspect lactose intolerance that many folks develop as they age. It upsets his stomach terribly.

I'm worried about him otherwise too. He's been back from China for two weeks and has just been exhausted. He does very well with jet lag and recovers in a couple days so it's not that. He was exposed to someone with TB in China, so he has an appointment with the doc for Tuesday for a TB test and exam. For him to proactively set up the appointment means he really doesn't feel right. I'm trying not to be a worrier and think the worst.:mad::dizzy:

bargoo
09-22-2013, 06:56 PM
I've lost 3.1 pounds in 2 weeks.

I still can't bear to tell you my weight.

Confession.

Congratulations !

saef
09-22-2013, 09:45 PM
Finally recovering. It takes a couple days. Sheesh, I can't believe that I went through not just one, but two bouts of sickness, just because I didn't figure it out about the soup.

I feel like I wasted a week of beautiful weather by being indoors, ill & oblivious.

Bargoo, I write this while thinking of you: I am not used being hampered by my body. I take it for granted usually & tend to ask even more of it -- that it do exceptional things -- it's strange to just want normality, the ordinary day-to-day functioning, and to rejoice when that seems like it's being gradually restored.

And of course, I have so much work to do, waiting around for me because I was running on half-power -- I'm picking up an assignment for one member of my department who moved onto another job within our company, and I'm taking on another for a direct report who was sidelined by personal issues during one of her busiest seasons.

I need six-day week. Or a quiet day in about the middle of the week.

neurodoc
09-22-2013, 10:56 PM
WOW is there ever a lot of sodium in Chinese food. I don't think I every really paid much attention, and just figured the scale would be up a pound or so the morning after a Chinese meal. Well, I checked out the nutrition pages of PF Chang's a few days ago (because I thought that's where we were going for dinner, though we ended up elsewhere) and got a huge surprise. Calories were about what I expected, but dear G-d, the sodium counts! One dish (can't remember which now) had nearly 4 GRAMS, and virtually nothing had under 1 gram. Then, tonight, I made dinner with a Chinese friend, as her sous-chef in return for her teaching me. The label on the soy sauce bottle said 1080 mg of sodium per Tbsp, and she must have put 4 Tbsp into a single dish (that served 4) and then added a tsp. or two of additional pure salt. I think she would have added more if I didn't start visibly blanching, and commenting on how bad that was for you. I didn't even say anything about the 1/4 c. of peanut oil she used to stir-fry first the chicken, then, a second 1/4 c. of oil to stir-fry the veggies and peanuts that got mixed in with the chicken. After watching her make it (and 3 other dishes), I could barely eat any of it; put the smallest amounts I could manage without walking away from the dinner table still starving. I remember reading about how healthy Chinese food was in several different diet books. Either their idea of "healthy" is very different from mine, or there is a great deal of variation in how much salt and oil Chinese people use when they cook.

Sure enough, when I weighed this morning, I was right back to my pre-Yom Kippur fast weight. This is going to be a long haul :>(

neurodoc
09-22-2013, 11:28 PM
I've been complaining about this for years: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/22/business/the-mental-strain-of-making-do-with-less.html?src=me

Mudpie
09-23-2013, 06:29 AM
I finally got on the scale. The number I thought I was going to see was 140+. I came in at 139.6. My breast size and belly roll usually indicate how much weight I've put on. So I know my own body pretty well.

No excuses here. I've been eating without thinking :shrug: about it. Particularly in the evening. Reacting to all the past year's events. :yikes:

And to DH. I won't go into it here - we have the usual issues magnified by the reno and by the upcoming move. He's pigging out every night and I'm finding that to be justification for me :ink: to do the same.

I will reset by cutting out the $%^& energy drinks (they are the opposite of energizing for me in the long run) and by eating my measured 1 cup of cherries and 1/2 cup of low fat yogurt in the evening. Period.

Dagmar :o

JayZeeJay
09-23-2013, 01:40 PM
I haven't weighed myself in several weeks. I will do it tonight...maybe tomorrow night. The past few weeks since I got back from vacation have been a whirlwind of work stress and vicious PMS, and I know it will show on the scale.

Neurodoc: I absolutely concur with that article. Dieting does make me "dumber" - my mental bandwidth is already exceeded and adding that constant running nutritional tally does not help. What an interesting concept.

Mudpie
09-23-2013, 08:07 PM
I managed to pull this day out of the dumpster. Two years ago it would have sent me running for the big box of cookies at the grocery, followed by a "chaser" of Haagen Daaz.

The days events "drumroll please":

9 a.m. Go to the new house. Find the flooring guy sitting in his truck eating a sandwich. he can't proceed due to a number of factors. Call DH and ask him to come down and see to it. He grumbles but is willing.

11 a.m. Take 5 dogs to the off leash area. When unleashed 3 of them sprint to where there is a 30 lb. rotting salmon carcass in the sand. The fluffy golden retriever rolls in it - both sides of his face and neck before I descend on him, bellowing like Jake Lamotta. Then, as I'm running after him (with 65 lb. lab on leash running beside me trying to jump and bite me) to leash his stinking now considerably less golden hide, I look back and big black Tex is peeing on the fish carcass. I grab the stinking golden and see that Stella (yellow lab) is now preparing to roll on the rotten fish and Tex's marking urine. ARRRRGH! The scariest Dagmar in the world manages to stop Stella. The other lab (on leash) picks that moment to bite me in the thumb.

There are clouds of steam now coming out my ears :mad: :mad: :mad:.

I get everyone on leash and hitch them to a post. I walk away, $%^#& running through my brain. I get them back to the car and the golden is stinking so badly that, even after a good dousing with marigold spray (the only thing I have in the car), my eyes are stinging all the way to his home and several of the other dogs in the car are sneezing and hanging out the wide open windows.

I manage to calm down by the time I come to the last house. Open the door and . . . the alarm is beeping away. OH SH*T!

I did manage to recover my equilibrium, do all the remaining walks, and then went down to the beach with a shovel and a big industrial garbage bag to deal with the fish carcass.

I am going to eat my bowl of cherries and yogurt and call it a night.

traveling michele
09-23-2013, 11:57 PM
Sorry Dagmar but I had to laugh. Hopefully it will be funny to you one day far far in the future!

Mudpie
09-24-2013, 06:27 AM
Sorry Dagmar but I had to laugh. Hopefully it will be funny to you one day far far in the future!

It never takes long for the dog stuff to be funny michele. It was pretty comical last night when I told DH about my day. He sits at a desk with a computer and a telephone so my "adventures" are always good for a laugh.

The trick for me is to see them as funny when they are happening and relax into them, rather than getting :mad:. I think that will be a goal for most of my other life as well - "relax Dagmar, it's not the world ending".

Mudpie
09-24-2013, 06:31 AM
I lost 2.5 lbs between yesterday and today. All I did differently was eat my bowl of cherries in the evening and then stop. That's why I don't weigh daily - the fluctuations are too nerve-wracking :yikes:. It's not "real" weight loss.

I will weigh daily for this week to kick-start the diet process and because I won't have a scale for the next 11 days afterwards due to dogsitting.

Dagmar :goodscale:

ICUwishing
09-24-2013, 09:31 AM
I jumped on the scale after a week-long hiatus; the news was actually pretty good for not having many data points. Last week's average (a single day, Monday) was 151.0, and this morning after a week in the north country - danged if that random number generator didn't produce that 149.0 that I've been longing to see! I only have tomorrow to average it with for this week, and then I'm off to Florida to enjoy some sunshine and waterparks. I have been, for me, hyper-aware of my food choices because there have been a lot of restaurant meals and fast-food type stuff (Jimmy Johns, Subway).

I am back at work and horrendously swamped. Hope to find some time to do some personals before I leave again - it's been busy around here! :) If not, I will catch up with everyone next week. :wave:

Mudpie
09-24-2013, 10:48 AM
Becky Enjoy the sun and water!

traveling michele
09-24-2013, 11:09 AM
I'm jealous Becky!! Have fun!!!

The scale was down a smidge for me. I had to convince myself that I wasn't still hungry after dinner. Getting obsessed over a candy crush level helped me to forget.

My system seems to be backed up. It works better when dh is gone so it must be my change in diet when he's home. Hmmm.... He goes in for his TB test today and then back on Thursday for the results and an exam. I'm still worried about his fatigue.

ICUwishing
09-25-2013, 09:44 AM
Michele, I hope DH gets a quick all-clear, or at least a good reason why he's tired. I'd be worried too.

silver, I like to front-load my food into the beginning of the day also. It does seem to help reduce the late-afternoon indiscretions.

saef, good to hear you figured out the source of your illness and are getting back on your feet. It always seems like extra insult that work piles on even faster when one is under the weather.

andrea, thanks for posting that link. My experience was that while I was overweight, thinking about that occupied my mind a whole lot more than the monitoring of what I've been eating since I got back into the normal range. The whole article does get me thinking about scarcity and where my bandwidth is currently going.

dagmar - the eating without thinking is a killer for me too. :hug: Seems like when the bandwidth is fully occupied on other things, there isn't anything left for monitoring intake. Hang in there - the move is coming! :) And I do have to say, I laughed about your awful day too. I would have wanted a stiff drink after that one!

JayZeeJay, sounds like you've had your share of craziness too. Gosh, I hope everybody gets a chance to relax soon!

This week will be a 3-day average - which is better than 1 and not near as good as 7. I didn't get to see the 140's two days in a row (sigh). I'm hopeful that a weekend of de-stress plus a lot of physical activity will set me up for a good loss next week.

alinnell
09-25-2013, 10:27 AM
Well, shoot. Here I thought I did everything right yesterday and today I'm blessed with a two pound gain.

Fish for dinner tonight. That should help.

Shannon in ATL
09-25-2013, 11:27 AM
Allison - I feel you. :)

I burned the heck out of the top of my mouth last night. For some reason I decided that the way to tell if the pizza I made DSS to eat was cool was to eat a piece of it. Right out of the oven. It was a lose lose. It was bad for me, it wasn't cool and it blistered the top of my mouth. And really, frozen pizza isn't worth all that.

ICUwishing
09-26-2013, 08:11 AM
150.3 this week based on three days. There haven't been many opportunities to get in trouble. I guess the secret, as it always is, is to minimize the opportunities so that the plan can do its thing unhindered. Leaving home seems to be a good strategy so far! :lol:

alinnell
09-27-2013, 10:31 AM
Another perfect day yesterday, complete with exercise, and my reward? Back UP over where I started.

Where did those three pounds come from?

Aaargh!

saef
09-27-2013, 10:45 AM
Just working and working and working.

One night this week, after a commute that took over an hour, I ate dinner and climbed into bed at 7:30 PM with a book, utterly done in, and was out like a light after just two pages.

I'm glad I didn't take my post-food-poisoning weight as insightful data about my body last week, since naturally, after recovering, I'm up a few pounds this week. But I'm lower than I was, and sore from some tough workouts this week.

I'm wondering if I belong here when I don't actually care if I drop five or 10 more pounds. I just realized that over the past week. I see that weight loss effort almost as a metaphor. What I want is to feel okay & strong & satisfied with myself, and unshaken by any scale weight that appears between my toes.

But all this work that I can't seem to clear off my desk is making me feel less than competent, and that extends to my control over my body.

silverbirch
09-27-2013, 12:00 PM
What I want is to feel okay & strong & satisfied with myself, and unshaken by any scale weight that appears between my toes.

I wonder whether it's worth making the health and fitness thread more of a discussion thread. Still a place to record workouts but also a place to mull things over.

traveling michele
09-27-2013, 01:25 PM
I wonder whether it's worth making the health and fitness thread more of a discussion thread. Still a place to record workouts but also a place to mull things over.

I really love this idea! Sometimes I post my musings along with my exercise but I often feel I'm talking to myself. I know that for myself, when I do bikram yoga, I can pull myself out of a funk, feeling fat, whatever-- I feel strong and empowered which is probably a big reason I keep doing it!:carrot:

silverbirch
09-27-2013, 02:48 PM
Oh I am pleased, Michele. Let's start with our next posts and see where we go.

All welcome!

JayZeeJay
09-27-2013, 02:55 PM
I'm wondering if I belong here when I don't actually care if I drop five or 10 more pounds. I just realized that over the past week. I see that weight loss effort almost as a metaphor. What I want is to feel okay & strong & satisfied with myself, and unshaken by any scale weight that appears between my toes.

Most days lately, I feel like this rather than truly motivated to lose more. But then there are days where I truly want to lose a bit more either for exercise-based reasons, vanity-based reasons, or like Saef said, just to exert control over something that I actually can control.

I like your idea of expanding the health and fitness thread, Silverbirch. I'd like to join it. For starters, I can log in the grueling trail marathon that I am running tomorrow! (gulp - training for this race completely fell by the wayside recently, thanks to work.)

traveling michele
09-27-2013, 03:23 PM
Most days lately, I feel like this rather than truly motivated to lose more. But then there are days where I truly want to lose a bit more either for exercise-based reasons, vanity-based reasons, or like Saef said, just to exert control over something that I actually can control.

I like your idea of expanding the health and fitness thread, Silverbirch. I'd like to join it. For starters, I can log in the grueling trail marathon that I am running tomorrow! (gulp - training for this race completely fell by the wayside recently, thanks to work.)

This isn't the Tough Mudder is it? I did it last year in Tahoe and it is again this weekend. We had signed up but backed out because dh's knee is shot. I'm glad now that we backed out because I hurt my knee a week ago and am in no shape for a grueling course.

JayZeeJay
09-27-2013, 04:17 PM
This isn't the Tough Mudder is it? I did it last year in Tahoe and it is again this weekend. We had signed up but backed out because dh's knee is shot. I'm glad now that we backed out because I hurt my knee a week ago and am in no shape for a grueling course.

No, it's the Big Sur trail marathon. It's my 3rd year running it with the same group of friends every time. And every time we ask ourselves "why???" The race is standard length (26.2) but with 5800 feet of uphill climb, and of course 5800 feet of downhill that is leg-murder. We must have some latent masochistic tendencies to do this each year (and pay money for it!). It has turned into a reunion with one friend now flying in from Missouri - maybe next time we can have the reunion without the race! Maybe at a spa...

silverbirch
09-27-2013, 04:42 PM
Um, JayZeeJay, I think I mentioned I thought you were a hard case when you came back from Scotland and Orkney. This Big Sur marathon is more evidence, in my view!

Have a great time tomorrow and see you over on the H&F thread.

Michele, lucky escape from the Tough Mudder.

neurodoc
09-27-2013, 11:37 PM
My update on 2 weeks of modified Fast-5 (I eat about 200 cal. of fruit/veggies and protein, plus loads of water and coffee, between waking up and dinnertime).
My weight is down about 1 pound, maybe even 1 1/2. It's tough to get an accurate figure because I have weight swings of over 2 pounds between top and bottom, so I have to guess by using a rolling average. I feel like it should be more, but really, this isn't a super-low calorie diet- probably north of 1200 calories most days- just redistributed so that my evening "binge" is built in to the plan. And for me, evening snacker that I am, it's been working on that mental problem I have where I don't want dinner to end. I can pretty much eat until I'm completely full and satisfied, not have to stop short. The hardest part is in the morning, where my life-long habit has been to eat a carb-y breakfast of ~200-250 calories- having no form of starch is really weird. Lunch is much easier, since I'm pretty used to eating mostly veggies and protein for that meal anyway. Late afternoon is pretty easy when I'm working, since I'm too busy to think much about food. That time frame is definitely more challenging on Sat-Sun if I'm home.

No marathons, Tough Mudders or even CrossFit for me. Just not that hard core I guess. OTOH, I've made it to the gym, or out jogging, every day this week except Tuesday, so I'm not doing so badly.

Mudpie
09-28-2013, 06:21 AM

That's kind of what the Weekly Chat thread does, isn't it? Or would that be more of a "news and events" thread?

We've had a discussion previously of staying on topic in any particular thread. Nothing was really resolved or written in stone. I think, like life, there will always be a lot of overlap in various different threads.

Mudpie
09-28-2013, 06:50 AM
I am going to seriously start to try to get down to my 133 - 135 lbs. range beginning today. I have a 12-days long dog sit starting today. It's a tough one as the dogs are not well socialized so that means an additional walk in the late afternoon for them alone. Plus they don't have any yard access (they live on the upper floor of a duplex) so that means a short walk in the early a.m. and late p.m.

I will have to also start arranging my replacements for dogwalking while I take the last week of October off to pack up and move and relocate my cats.

And I have to maintain my current household.

I will leave the reno at the new house to DH. If he has a problem he can ask me but I think he's capable of handling whatever else needs to be done there. I will have to cut the grass and water the yards there (my yard folks are weeding and pruning) and arrange for someone to look at the tree out front.

Thanksgiving also fits in there somewhere. I'm going to order the same wonderful rotisseried turkey we had last year, roast some veggies in the oven, buy a nice loaf of bread and a good bottle of wine, and I'm done! Oh and cranberry sauce for DH. Maybe also some small tarts with seasonal fruit for dessert.

I'm off to pack! I will check in when I can. Probably mostly in Weekly Chat.

bargoo
09-28-2013, 06:11 PM
That's kind of what the Weekly Chat thread does, isn't it? Or would that be more of a "news and events" thread?

We've had a discussion previously of staying on topic in any particular thread. Nothing was really resolved or written in stone. I think, like life, there will always be a lot of overlap in various different threads.

I agree with Dagmar.

silverbirch
09-29-2013, 09:37 AM
I wasn't trying to rock the boat. :) Just suggesting that the health and fitness thread has space for more than simply recording workouts. Workout-related health and fitness stuff could be discussed as well.

Yes, weekly chat does sometimes look rather like news and events but there's nothing wrong with that, obviously.

ICUwishing
09-29-2013, 07:10 PM
Back from vacation and catching up. I was tickled pink this weekend to be able to spend 7 very active hours in a water park with my swimmer girlfriend (she's 54 this month). The park wasn't crowded so it was endless hours of stairs, waterslides, more stairs, hoof it across the park to more stairs and waterslides, an interlude for body surfing in the wave pool, etc, etc, rinse and repeat. Literally! I am very glad this came at the end of a summer of running. :D

I always thought of the fitness thread as more of an accountability listing of "I did this" than more of a discussion forum, but if it were to turn into that, I would likely go over. Nobody wants to read about the yardage I will be doing in the pool, and frankly, I don't want to bother typing it. I'm lazy that way! But musings do interest me - the whole head game of this process has been the toughest thing for me to figure out and I have definitely been helped by the group here over the years.

alinnell
09-29-2013, 09:24 PM
I'm proud to announce I got on the treadmill both yesterday and today! I am BOUND AND DETERMINED to do the treadmill at least 4 times a week. Since I'm dreading getting up early, that means Tuesday and Thursday after work and Saturday and Sunday mornings. I believe that reading on the treadmill is a lot less boring than watching TV or just listening to music.

And for dinner tonight is a skinny version of chicken parmesan (served over zucchini "noodles").

JayZeeJay
09-29-2013, 10:54 PM
Back from the marathon. It was a bit too warm and I took it a little slower than normal. This had the benefit of making me less sore afterward (and avoiding the heat exhaustion that a few runners developed).

BTW, I wasn't sure what the group decision was - shall we discuss exercise and fitness in the other thread? Or keep it here? Will it disrupt the flow of the other thread? Should we vote? Should the other thread vote? Do we need to invoke Robert's rules of order? :)

Mudpie
09-30-2013, 08:24 AM
Back from the marathon. It was a bit too warm and I took it a little slower than normal. This had the benefit of making me less sore afterward (and avoiding the heat exhaustion that a few runners developed).

BTW, I wasn't sure what the group decision was - shall we discuss exercise and fitness in the other thread? Or keep it here? Will it disrupt the flow of the other thread? Should we vote? Should the other thread vote? Do we need to invoke Robert's rules of order? :)

We haven't been that organized about things. They move forward on a more intuitive basis IMO.

The exercise thread has been mostly a listing, although the "regulars" there do muse about things. I think there will always be an overlap of things everywhere so why don't we accept that?

bargoo
09-30-2013, 11:46 AM
I think we learn from each other, as far as I know there are no rules as long as we stay legal.

ICUwishing
09-30-2013, 04:00 PM
152 this morning. The Disney weekend was far more difficult for eating well than was the recruiting trip. There was, however, much, much more movement. Apparently they did not cancel each other out. I'm thinking that some of it is probably my sunburn - my shoulders are pretty tender even today. No blisters, though.

First coached swim practice since college tonight at 7pm. I am simply hoping not to die. I'm not sure if I'm kidding.

Mudpie
09-30-2013, 08:02 PM
152 this morning. The Disney weekend was far more difficult for eating well than was the recruiting trip. There was, however, much, much more movement. Apparently they did not cancel each other out. I'm thinking that some of it is probably my sunburn - my shoulders are pretty tender even today. No blisters, though.

First coached swim practice since college tonight at 7pm. I am simply hoping not to die. I'm not sure if I'm kidding.

Becky I used to swim competitively from about age 10-14. I remember those seemingly endless laps of the pool. At least you're going in the evening :D. I used to sleep in in those days and that's most of why I quit swimming - practice was at 6:30 a.m. and that was too hard in winter.

Dagmar :swim:

neurodoc
09-30-2013, 09:41 PM
Well, at 2 weeks and 2 days in to my new diet, I managed to binge despite keeping most of my calories for the evening. It was actually quite easy; as usual, my stomach doesn't even feel particularly bloated after 1/2 c. of hazelnuts, 4 graham crackers and a cup of granola, all eaten after a full and hearty dinner (including dessert of a banana with a sugar-free vanilla pudding and 1 tbsp of peanut butter). There goes my theory about IF. Sad thing is, I'm still 1.5-2 pounds over my red line, and a good 5-6 pounds over my old maintenance weight. So I can't blame the binge on dropping into "dangerously low" weight levels.

alinnell
09-30-2013, 09:50 PM
Andrea~I actually think IF was what made me lose the last time (about 7 years ago?). It was only twice a month, and often just one meal each time (dinner). I was the president of a charitable organization and twice a month I had to conduct a meeting (board meeting followed by a general meeting two weeks later). Those meetings were always at the dinner hour and I never got home before 8 PM, so I just skipped dinner (members would bring snacks but I refused most if not all of them). I'd usually come home and have a glass of wine to unwind and then go to bed. I think that little kick in the pants was what really helped me shed all those pounds. I'd go back to that but it is just me and DH and I don't think he'd appreciate skipping dinner. But maybe it was a combination of stress, nerves and skipping that dinner twice a month that did it.

Currently I'm back up--those 3 pounds I lost are back on. I need to lose 25 pounds. This really sucks.

ICUwishing
10-01-2013, 09:21 AM
Dagmar - oh, I hear ya about the early mornings! I even won an impromptu "award" at the end of my senior year for missing the most morning practices, but having perfect attendance on the afternoons and weekends. :D

I lucked out - last night was backstroke technique drills, and most of it with fins. I am tired but not sore - yet. Now I need to figure out how to get to tomorrow's practice. The spouse is beginning several months of road travel for work and it is going to be a challenge to figure out how to get DS where he needs to be, and how to get me where I need to be.

saef
10-01-2013, 09:57 AM
Went for my annual physical yesterday, after rescheduling it once due to some emergency or another at work, I forget what.

My doctor discovered a slight heart murmur that he hadn't heard before, and because of all the cardio that I do, I wondered about athlete's heart. But also I had an unusual amount of coffee yesterday to keep going, and I've been stressed out. I also didn't do as well on my breathing test. Anyway I'm scheduled for an echocardiogram.

On the scale, once again I weighed in at 150 lbs. The doctor's assistant was surprised that I could guess my weight.

"Usually people tell me, 'Oh, I'm 200 pounds,' and I think to myself, 'Maybe you were five years ago, but not now.'"

That bothered me, because I've still got an inner fat girl living in me, my former self with all her phantom fat intact, and she is as sensitive as ever to any implied slights on her weight and her body, particularly from medical professionals.

alinnell
10-01-2013, 10:37 AM
saef~years ago I was diagnosed with a heart "condition" and my doctor told me to lay off the caffeine. I did. It went away. I started back on coffee and it comes back from time to time. And my BFF had a scare last year. Her doctor said she had something wrong and scheduled her for an echocardiogram as well as a few other tests. She has severe heart troubles in her family, so she was really concerned. Everything came back perfectly normal. I'm willing to bet the extra caffeine in your day yesterday is the culprit. Good luck on the test!

JayZeeJay
10-01-2013, 01:48 PM
Saef: ditto with hoping everything goes well with the echo, and that there is nothing of concern. The comment from the medical assistant is definitely one of those that is seemingly very benign (and really a compliment, I think - she is impressed that you are aware of your body, your weight and your health) but can have unintended meaning to us weight-sensitives.

Shannon in ATL
10-01-2013, 04:53 PM
Saef - I have a minor heart murmur as well, not diagnosed until after my weight loss and I had started running. It is nothing, they told me that some 80% of people have one.

JayZeeJay
10-01-2013, 05:19 PM
Self-discipline test happening right now!

We are having a joint farewell party here at work for several employees, one of whom is in my group. It is a few doors down from my office. I brought in a bunch of (healthy) food for the potluck. For lunch, I ate veggies with hummus and a tiny veggie sandwich, and several pita chips. All good so far. Here comes the test: one of the supervisors just brought in three HUGE cakes, all from a really expensive bakery in town. So these are not supermarket cakes, they are the kind covered in fruit and chocolate curls and cream and full of decadence. And there is easily enough cake for ten pieces per person, at least.

I immediately came down to my office to write this. I can't hide in here because I need to go back to this party to say something later. So, I am making the commitment here in front of you all that I will go back in and NOT have the calorie-laden cakes that everyone else is currently snarfing down. You are my witnesses.

bargoo
10-01-2013, 06:37 PM
Saef - I have a minor heart murmur as well, not diagnosed until after my weight loss and I had started running. It is nothing, they told me that some 80% of people have one.

Me , too.diagnosed years ago and Doctor says nothing to be concerned about, right now

neurodoc
10-01-2013, 09:19 PM
JayZee, it is many hours later. I know it's too late to root for you, but I bet you succeeded anyway.

Saef, in medical school, the definition of a heart murmur was "what you hear if you're actually listening through the stethoscope" :>) The implication was, it is very common if you listen carefully. Mild ones are quite harmless.

After yesterday's binge, I'm back on plan today. Unfortunately, by my calculations, if the difference (for me) between weight loss and weight maintenance is 300 cal, I need to diet for 4 days simply to recoup the weight I had before yesterday. If I have a 1200 cal binge on average only 1 day in 7, it will take about 6 months to lose 6 pounds :>(. I am feeling exceptionally bitter and frustrated right now.

ICUwishing
10-02-2013, 09:49 AM
Saef, count me in with the ranks of the "faintly murmuring". I think the only time it ever came into play was when I was applying to the Air Force Academy in high school, and even then, it wasn't anything considered a deal-breaker. It seems to also follow the observation, "Hey, you've got two legs!" ;) Which goes along with what Andrea says.

JayZeeJay - I hope you were successful with your cake avoidance! Events like that are where I play up my artificial coloring sensitivities to the hilt. In the rare event that something decadent and handcrafted still meets my criteria, I will be the one who takes the small piece, and then disappears to eat it slowly and reverently. :D

Andrea, I'm sorry you're having to work with such a narrow margin, and I wish I could offer up something (anything) that you could try. It's a b!tch to make changes when days are highly programmed with work, kids, home, etc - everybody needs their piece of you and it leaves very little time to carve out a niche to do the necessary experimenting to get your own needs met. I totally understand bitterness and frustration. :hug:

I'm still above last week's average, three days into the new week. I will have to cut myself a little slack with the sunburn and the swimming. On a real control plan, the sunburn is considered a "flyer" - something unusual to the process and not likely to recur. The swimming is, however, a true process adjustment and now that I'm 46, I really don't know what that will do over the short term. Watch and wait ... and try to keep all the other factors close to the same. I took some "before" pictures yesterday with the expectation that if the scale never changes, I'll still be able to see some outward signs of progress before the end of the year. :crossed:

traveling michele
10-02-2013, 11:11 AM
Jay-- hope you succeeded. Those are the most difficult challenges sometimes!

Andrea-- I understand your bitterness. I was (am) trying to get a few (okay-- I'd take one or two) pounds off before we go to Napa this weekend. I know that I'll indulge and even though it is only overnight, the damage I do will take me months to come off. My weight yesterday was up even after being a perfect angel so I was just cranky. Today it's down. I'm tired of the roller coaster.

Shannon in ATL
10-02-2013, 11:15 AM
Andrea - I have the same narrow range, it is very frustrating.

JayZeeJay
10-02-2013, 08:57 PM
Thanks all for the support. I did manage to not eat any cake. This felt like more of a victory than usual - my willpower did not feel very powerful, after a series of 14-hour days and some family crises. I don't usually feel horribly tempted by food at work. Yesterday was a rough exception.

JayZeeJay - I hope you were successful with your cake avoidance! Events like that are where I play up my artificial coloring sensitivities to the hilt. In the rare event that something decadent and handcrafted still meets my criteria, I will be the one who takes the small piece, and then disappears to eat it slowly and reverently.

You are smart to have an out that doesn't require you to tell everyone over and over that you actually are NOT going to have cake. People yesterday were eating large pieces then carrying giant plates of more cake back to their offices. It became that situation where you make other people feel awkward or guilty for their cake-binge because you are not joining them - several people said "well, I know I shouldn't be doing this either, but oh well", or "I don't care", etc. I felt a bit bad - it's hard to not appear judgmental of others in that instance, even though I really was only thinking about myself :)

The part about taking a piece to eat "slowly and reverently" hit home with me: this is probably a hangover from my binge eating years, but I only feel like decadent foods are worth the calories if I eat them by myself (or rarely with my fiancÚ). If I eat them "with an audience", I do not enjoy them. It worries me a bit that I still feel this way.

ICUwishing
10-03-2013, 09:50 AM
JayZeeJay, congrats on successfully navigating the cake, and even more so, the peer pressure attempts! I get the worry part, too - I've gone a few rounds with eating in secret myself. With something like the aforementioned piece of cake, it falls into the category of portion control for me. I eat a little of something particularly indulgent, but I make a point of throwing 110% of my attention at it to derive the absolute maximum enjoyment from the minimum serving. Being around people becomes a distraction and then I end up annoyed that I ate whatever it was too fast, or I missed a flavor or scent nuance - it's gone and then I almost grieve over it, because not going back for more has become an ingrained habit. :lol3: Funny, I never thought I had any strange food rituals, but now that I've written it down it's very clear that I do.

Well, I went to my second swim practice last night. When it was over, the coach actually apologized to me for that particular workout happening to fall on my second time in the pool. It feels great to be back with a team and I'm really looking forward to seeing what regular workouts do to/for me. Even if I did wake up twice last night totally drenched in sweat ... nighttime workouts are not my favorite.

ICUwishing
10-07-2013, 09:45 AM
First week and the three free workouts accomplished. I actually did get up early and make it to the Saturday morning workout. The rest of the day ended up passing in a bit of blur - I do remember sitting in the "comfy" chair, sort of staring and drooling, waiting for the coffee to work and yet knowing it wasn't going to. :D

I was up .3 for the week, mostly due to a few high days following the Florida weekend. I'm optimistic about this week. I have a 4-mile "Run4Wine" on Thursday evening with my girlfriends, so I have to add the running back in a little sooner than I would prefer. I feel like I'm doing a little too much too fast for my age, but nothing hurts and I think I'm getting enough recovery time. I think my body knows that if it doesn't let me do this, I will go back to being a sofa spud! :lol:

Shannon in ATL
10-08-2013, 03:40 PM
The Run4Wine sounds fascinating, Becky. :)

neurodoc
10-08-2013, 10:37 PM
Wow, I think we all must be struggling with this weight loss business right now, seeing how virtually no one is posting.

I managed to stay on plan with eating for an entire week after last Monday's binge, then had another fierce one last night, exactly a week later. Now I wish I had actually tracked more of them, because I'm wondering if 2 Monday nights in a row is coincidence, or a real pattern - I typically don't notice what days I binge. I'm pretty sure that what triggered it is my usual trifecta of feeling sorry for myself, easy access to foods I feel I am being deprived of, and family stress (kids needing too much attention/loudness/ arguing).

I am so good at moderating my intake when I am being watched, especially by people outside my own family. Maybe I should train a video camera on myself after dinner every night? I swear, if I could even arrange for DH to not let me out of his sight all evening, I wouldn't do this. Realistically, it's not possible- he has errands to run, work to do, kids to wrangle just like me. AUGGH.

alinnell
10-09-2013, 11:05 AM
Wow, I think we all must be struggling with this weight loss business right now, seeing how virtually no one is posting.

Yup.

In my mind I'm "tolerating" this gain and inability to lose with the rationalization that the longer I maintain where I am and not gain more then when I really get motivated the weight will come off easier (at least the first few). I know it really doesn't make sense, but that's what I'm telling myself. Am I lying to myself? IDK

traveling michele
10-09-2013, 11:14 AM
IDK Allison... doesn't sound too entirely rational to me but I'm not really one to talk. My weight is down a little today but still WAY over my redline. I used to think I'd NEVER reach my redline-- ha ha-- now I'm wondering if I'll EVER see it again....

It's all perspective though. In my eyes, I look 6 months preggo as my weight is all in my tummy (most anyway). Yesterday I wore a dress that I was very self-conscious about because I know it used to look much better on me. A teacher came up to me and said how amazing the dress was and how most people couldn't pull off a dress like that. So, while all I see all day is my huge tummy, it is possible that other people aren't entirely obsessed with my pooch.

Shannon in ATL
10-09-2013, 11:32 AM
Allison - I got frustrated in July after maintaining at this high weight for a long time. The first few pounds did come off easily, but then everything stopped again and I'm all frustrated again. So maybe not crazy, but might not be great for us long term. :)

Michele - DH and other people keep telling me that I look great, but I see myself and don't believe it. Then I went to a wedding last weekend and looked pretty darn good. Maybe I need to change my perspective.

Andrea - I've been struggling with the weight and other drama in my personal life, and when I do that I tend to not post. I need to get past that though, as writing things out is often the touchstone I need to get past it.

Things are starting to settle down I hope.

JayZeeJay
10-09-2013, 12:39 PM
DH and other people keep telling me that I look great, but I see myself and don't believe it. Then I went to a wedding last weekend and looked pretty darn good. Maybe I need to change my perspective.

This is valuable to remember - most of us are fretting over weight that is essentially vanity weight, right? (Although I know that for me, losing a bit more would definitely help with my running as well.) In any case, there is nothing stopping any of us from going to an event, dressing well for it and looking great.

Perspective like this helps me relax, because when I go over my calorie limit for the day and beat myself up over it, it joins the long list of things I'm already beating myself up over, and it's too much.

ICUwishing
10-09-2013, 12:45 PM
Allison, your rationale is similar to mine, and the way it worked out is that after seeing the higher number long enough my brain clicked to "on" and I am actively trying to do something about it. It's the waiting for the inspiration that's a little maddening. :)

michele, you definitely are tough on yourself! I am sure you did rock that dress!

shannon, I've created posts this week and ended up erasing them. I completely agree with you that getting these posts in is a step toward getting past whatever it is, so I'll commit to finishing this one with a true update. ;)

andrea, I empathize with the home stuff. My off-plan moments are currently DIRECTLY related to when I make the mistake of going online to see DS14's grades. Talk about creating strife on the homefront! :dizzy:

So ... I'm now a swim team member again. The water still feels like crap, I am not strong enough yet to get through a workout without flailing and fighting with my technique, and frankly, I'm a useless goob for 12 hours afterward. I started experiencing UTI symptoms last Tuesday which came and went depending on how much cranberry concentrate and colloidal silver I could stuff down myself. I caved in yesterday after the previous night involved some signs of fever and went to the walk-in clinic at work. So now I'm on Cipro for 5 days, but I was cautioned not to swim tonight because Cipro can have a weird side effect of causing tendon damage. Nor am I supposed to be doing any wine tasting tomorrow after the 4 mile run. And DS has been forgetting/not doing school assignments, just enough to stay under the academic requirements for being on the swim team. It's all self-sabotage, a story we all know way too well. I finally figured out last night how to get the fire back in his eyes - promised him that if he recovered the grades by Nov 1, he could stay on the local team for another year and not go out for the school team. Get this - he thinks that the extra workouts will make it hard to study. <facepalm>. Teenage logic. Is it murder if they have it coming???? DH is no help at all - it's hunting season and all he can think about is escaping to the woods. Despite the fact that $%^& deer parade through the yard just after dawn and just before sunset EVERY FREAKING NIGHT. I could run up and bite one to death, I swear. The scale? Stalled. And remember how when extra weight begins to loosen its hold, that it gets all soft and dimply and detached, before it comes off? I am covered in it from ribcage to knees. Oh, and those gorgeous, sweet little bunnies of mine? Chewed a 2" diameter hole in the middle of my living room carpeting, for the **** of it. Hasenpfefer!!! No, I didn't. But I thought about it.

Deeeeeep breath. No, honestly, I don't feel better yet.

alinnell
10-09-2013, 12:58 PM
Allison, your rationale is similar to mine, and the way it worked out is that after seeing the higher number long enough my brain clicked to "on" and I am actively trying to do something about it. It's the waiting for the inspiration that's a little maddening. :)

It IS quite maddening, isn't it? You'd think that DD's upcoming wedding or the idea of another European trip (this one with a variety of girlfriends from high school) would be the impetus that I need, yet neither are working. Or maybe they're too far in the future? I mean 9-10 months from now. I think I may need a deadline.

In any case, right now I just don't have the wherewithal to put a plan together.

Becky, I responded before reading your whole post. Wow. Hugs, dear! It'll get better. Hasenpfefer! lol

Shannon in ATL
10-09-2013, 01:32 PM
Becky - I snickered at your hasenpfefer. All I could hear was an old bugs bunny cartoon in my head. :) It will get better honey, I'm sorry everything is so crazy. I kind of understand DS's logic though - I've been there more than once in different situations. Though, to say that he has to keep his grades to low to make the school swim team, otherwise practice will interfere with his grades? Kind of circular. Couldn't he just not be on the school swim team?

A deer walked in front of my car this morning. Stopped for a minute, looked at me, walked on. Pretty. And one minute in either direction and I would have been coming around a blind corner as it walked into the road and hit it.

saef
10-09-2013, 01:39 PM
Me, I'm struggling with the usual question that defines my life: Where does sensible maintenance behavior for a woman who lost 107 pounds cross into an eating disorder and a symptom of obsessive-compulsive behavior?

And I had a binge yesterday. Standing up in the kitchen in the afternoon, thinking about urgent stuff at work, shelling & eating unsalted pistachios, one after the other. This hasn't happened in months, but it happened yesterday. Yes, I managed to stop and leave the kitchen. But my brain shut off.

Look, it's about my life, not my weight. Always is. The weight is a metaphor. For whether I'm doing okay as a female being in this world. Whether I've got "it" all under control.

Last week, with my mother visiting, me tiptoeing around my apartment at 4:30 AM, intent on getting into workout clothes & to the gym & then getting work done, I actually forgot it was Friday & that I ought to weigh myself. I honestly forgot, it wasn't one of those "forgot" things. So I've been unaware & I have to say it's been freeing, not to flog myself with that, to just say, "Look, I'm doing what I can -- in the gym every day -- eating maybe too many pistachios and apples, but it's not junk food -- I am glad I'm not also thinking about five pounds constantly."

We'll see how long this attitude lasts, because I know when it lasts too long, I put on weight.

So I am becoming more normal, or am I like a freezing person who's slowly going numb & hallucinating, and I am about to freeze up my body within a large block of fat.

silverbirch
10-09-2013, 01:52 PM
I'm just escaping from a two week virus during which my routine fell away. Protecting myself and getting better were the priorities.

Allison, I think you and I probably have to lose more than vanity weight. I can look stout from some angles and, as the kiddies say, that is not a good look for me. Not much good for my health, either.

I've been weighing myself every day for weeks. Hurray! Good habit (for me) reinstated.

I've started exercising again post virus. Hurray!

Group hug? :grouphug:

Shannon in ATL
10-09-2013, 02:00 PM
:grouphug:

JayZeeJay
10-09-2013, 04:37 PM
:grouphug:

DH is no help at all - it's hunting season and all he can think about is escaping to the woods. Despite the fact that $%^& deer parade through the yard just after dawn and just before sunset EVERY FREAKING NIGHT. I could run up and bite one to death, I swear.

This killed me.

From Saef (how do you quote multiple people in one response btw?):
"So I've been unaware & I have to say it's been freeing, not to flog myself with that, to just say, "Look, I'm doing what I can -- in the gym every day -- eating maybe too many pistachios and apples, but it's not junk food -- I am glad I'm not also thinking about five pounds constantly.
We'll see how long this attitude lasts, because I know when it lasts too long, I put on weight."

This is exactly how I feel. Free (temporarily) from the additional mental stress of weight worry, but aware that there will be a price to pay. However, if it's 2 pounds in exchange for 2 weeks of being able to focus entirely on the critical things, I will pay it.

ETA: I will only allow this for two weeks of work craziness. I cannot forget entirely about calories in the long run - I know that.

silverbirch
10-09-2013, 04:46 PM
I misread ETA in JayZeeJay's post. Yes, as EAT.

OK.

Mudpie
10-09-2013, 04:55 PM
I haven't been weighing or dieting or counting or anything for about a month now. My weight is up but it's still vanity levels. DH keeps saying that he'll start "being healthy" again in November when we're in the new house. That is kinda disheartening as he's really binge eating every single night. And he was about 60 lbs. overweight when this started.

I'm on again, off again. Too much to do in October to add maintenance and/or dieting to the mountain. I know I won't gain 100 lbs. this month but I might gain 5-7. I can and will take them off before Christmas but I need some time to rest and think and recharge.

November first. D-Day for Dagmar.

Dagmar :sumo: :cool:

alinnell
10-09-2013, 04:57 PM
(how do you quote multiple people in one response btw?)

Instead of hitting the "quote" button, click on the "+ button next to it. Then continue on each post you want to quote until you get to the LAST one you want to quote and hit the quote button on that one. Then you get all the posts you want to quote and you can pare it down as needed and add your comments.

JayEll
10-09-2013, 05:06 PM
I wish I could help all of you with your struggles. I wish I had the words that would either solve your weight/food conundrums, or change your ways of seeing youselves and your lives so that weight and food etc. are no longer issues.

I want to tell you that you are all such precious beings! You all have such value, so many abilities--but you are more than your performance at your many tasks, more than how you look, more than your clothing size or BMI. More than what others may think of you.

Your lives can be easier. Your days can be more a flow than an endurance trial.

Please, take a look around you, at all you have, all the wonderful things of the world. This doesn't last forever. Be kind. Be joyful!

Jay

alinnell
10-09-2013, 06:06 PM
http://pickyrunner.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/number-on-the-scale.jpg

Something we should all remember.

traveling michele
10-09-2013, 06:11 PM
Yes, we are ALL too hard on ourselves. Is this a female trait I wonder? I don't see my dh doing it.....

Becky-- I haven't heard that about fat?! Is it true? I'll be looking in the mirrors at yoga later hoping to see it fall off....

Dh left for China for another few weeks. He was home for almost a month which is the longest in a very long time. I got quite used to him being home so I'm feeling a bit blue now. However, part of me is feeling freed-- I can workout when I want and eat what I want (and watch the TV shows I want)....

Enjoying my new car.... I need to figure all the bells and whistles out though. This morning I needed to use the windshield wipers and I couldn't find them!! I looked on the right of the steering column and nothing was there. I finally found them incorporated into the left part-- I knew the blinkers were there so I wasn't looking for wipers too.

bargoo
10-09-2013, 06:25 PM
I wish I could help all of you with your struggles. I wish I had the words that would either solve your weight/food conundrums, or change your ways of seeing youselves and your lives so that weight and food etc. are no longer issues.

I want to tell you that you are all such precious beings! You all have such value, so many abilities--but you are more than your performance at your many tasks, more than how you look, more than your clothing size or BMI. More than what others may think of you.

Your lives can be easier. Your days can be more a flow than an endurance trial.

Please, take a look around you, at all you have, all the wonderful things of the world. This doesn't last forever. Be kind. Be joyful!

Jay

Great. Jay !

bargoo
10-09-2013, 06:27 PM
http://pickyrunner.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/number-on-the-scale.jpg

Something we should all remember.
Another great one !

neurodoc
10-09-2013, 11:33 PM
But the number on the scale DOES tell me how much flab is accumulating on my butt and thighs, whether my pants fit, and how little I can eat of foods I enjoy without going back to "overweight" status.

Sorry, but I'm really, really bitter these days. I didn't say in my post yesterday that I successfully adhered to a strict 1200 cal/day for over 3 weeks (200 cal between break/lunch and then 1000 cal for dinner) without losing a single pound. But the minute I binged - for 1 night (on the 30th), the next day I was up 3 pounds. And yeah, 2 pounds of that were bloat, but 3 weeks of strict 1200/day with 5 days/week of vigorous gym activity SHOULD F*CKING WELL CAUSE ME TO LOSE WEIGHT. The binge was directly related to a nearly unbearable level of self-pity. I feel like the rat whose entire cage is electrified. There is no safe zone.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled programming. Yes, JayEll, you are quite right. I just can't approach that mindset right now, with all my pants pulling across my *** and unattractive "saddlebags" making a return appearance at the tops of my thighs. You'd think my self-worth would be gauged by more than my waist size, but apparently not so much.

Mudpie
10-10-2013, 06:38 AM
I'm finding that, for whatever reason, I am much more accepting of my physical flaws these days. Yeah, I have a belly and chunky thighs. And I've got and had a big butt all my life since adolescence. :blah:

But I am strong enough to work all day with big dogs (I figured out I walk approx. 2.5 TONS :strong: of dogs per week :p), I have defined muscles underneath the padding, and I am happy with the way my clothes fit as I've learned to NOT wear what looks bad.

A 2-3 lb. gain does not throw me into a tizzy (or ruin my day or week) these days.

JayEll
10-10-2013, 08:26 AM
neurodoc, you have scientific training. Your hypothesis is that 1200 calories per day, split as 200 all day and 1000 at dinner, plus vigorous exercise should cause you to lose weight. You have just disproved that hypothesis. No need to test it further, I think. You need a new hypothesis.

As for the electrified cage--you built that cage and put yourself in it, then flipped the switch.

Please find a way to let yourself out of that cage. Be kind. A happy life shouldn't be something you get only when everything is perfect and under control.

I hope you feel better!

Jay

Mudpie
10-10-2013, 08:45 AM
neurodoc, you have scientific training. Your hypothesis is that 1200 calories per day, split as 200 all day and 1000 at dinner, plus vigorous exercise should cause you to lose weight. You have just disproved that hypothesis. No need to test it further, I think. You need a new hypothesis.

As for the electrified cage--you built that cage and put yourself in it, then flipped the switch.

Please find a way to let yourself out of that cage. Be kind. A happy life shouldn't be something you get only when everything is perfect and under control.

I hope you feel better!

Jay

Yes neurodoc Jayell has said it well.

I hope you can feel better about yourself too. :hug:

And the same wishes to everyone else who is struggling. :grouphug:

Dagmar :cheer2:

ICUwishing
10-10-2013, 09:29 AM
Jay, I am glad you are posting again - hope you stay around! This tendency-to-type A, overachieving perfectionist learned a whole lot of new things from you a few years back and my life is definitely better for it.

michele, the fat thing comes from the Support forums and while it doesn't hold true for everybody (what does?), there seems to be a lot of anecdotal support. "Happy fat" that has had a long term residency on the body seems to be firmer and more attached to skin and muscle. Caloric deprivation *seems* to make it begin to break down somehow - maybe it's the loss of inflammation, the water, etc - but those that experience it notice that the flab gets jigglier, lumpier, and moves differently. Call it the "melting" phenomenon. From there, it tends to be followed by an inch reduction. :shrug: I had it happen when I lost in 2009 (the big loss), but not so much when I've been losing from 155-148 range ... without exercise. Now, with the swimming I am doing significant work, and I am seeing some rather, uh, disconcerting similar changes. It's icky yet familiar and inspiring - IF then end result is still true! :lol:

andrea, I respect your training and career choice immensely - and anybody who can mother more than one kid at a time, maintain a marriage, and still pull off any time to exercise is a role model, in my eyes. I can't even begin to suggest what the next move might be for you in trying to solve this. I fully understand the negative emotion ... but woman, "you gots to let this go". The stress is going to kill you a whole lot faster than a couple extra pounds will.

alinnell
10-10-2013, 10:41 AM
But the number on the scale DOES tell me how much flab is accumulating on my butt and thighs, whether my pants fit, and how little I can eat of foods I enjoy without going back to "overweight" status.

Sorry, but I'm really, really bitter these days. I didn't say in my post yesterday that I successfully adhered to a strict 1200 cal/day for over 3 weeks (200 cal between break/lunch and then 1000 cal for dinner) without losing a single pound. But the minute I binged - for 1 night (on the 30th), the next day I was up 3 pounds. And yeah, 2 pounds of that were bloat, but 3 weeks of strict 1200/day with 5 days/week of vigorous gym activity SHOULD F*CKING WELL CAUSE ME TO LOSE WEIGHT. The binge was directly related to a nearly unbearable level of self-pity. I feel like the rat whose entire cage is electrified. There is no safe zone.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled programming. Yes, JayEll, you are quite right. I just can't approach that mindset right now, with all my pants pulling across my *** and unattractive "saddlebags" making a return appearance at the tops of my thighs. You'd think my self-worth would be gauged by more than my waist size, but apparently not so much.

I understand completely.

I know I've said in the past that my body tends to "like" being the weight I am now. It seems that regardless of how I eat, this weight is super easy to maintain. I almost feel like my body has been programmed to weigh exactly this amount. This is the exact same weight I was when I got married, when I started my first diet, second diet and third diet--the third being the one that brought me here. Well, at that third one I'd actually done some harm and was up about 10 pounds from where I am now.

But does it make me happy? NO! None of my golf shorts fit except one pair and golf season is starting here. My jeans are too tight. Several pair of my cute capri pants no longer fit. And yes, I am bitter about this, too.

But, repeating my "mentality" about this from yesterday, I feel that if I am to continue with what I'm doing and maintaining this weight without further gain for just a bit longer (until I can really wrap my head around a full-fledged diet again) should allow me to lose quite a few right off the bat and that usually is the impetus I need to continue to lose.

Mudpie
10-10-2013, 10:57 AM
Allison I know what you mean about the "body's happy" weight. My body wants to be at about 136 lbs. It has since I was a teenager. I have varied from that to as low as 106 lbs. (still have two chipped teeth when my starving body fainted in the school bathroom) and up to an all time high of 152 (when the menopausal hormones raged for 2 years).

But eventually, if I eat generally well, with a few binges, holidays and some beer thrown in, I even out at about 134-137 lbs. I have now, for the most part, accepted this and am content to be a strong and healthy as possible.

Dagmar :goodscale:

traveling michele
10-10-2013, 11:54 AM
I'm not sure what my body wants to weigh. When I was gaining, I feared there was no stopping. Even though I ate more or less healthy, overall I ate too much and didn't exercise enough. I was slowly gaining and then when I had the beginnings of my thyroid issues, I gained quickly. I was fearful of getting to 200 pounds. I felt like if I got there, there was no going back and I would keep gaining. Fear got me going, plus I was trying to be a good example for my eldest dd who has also always struggled with her weight.

My weight is down a pound today. Under my really scary weight I saw earlier this week but still too far from my redline to see it without glasses! I'm wondering if I repeat what I did yesterday more or less- lather, rinse, repeat-- will I see another loss tomorrow? Or will my body have figured it out and maintain or gain.... hmmm....

JayZeeJay
10-10-2013, 12:30 PM
Neurodoc: Hugs to you. You exercised such tremendous willpower to stick to your rigorous plan, only to have it pay you back with nothing except frustration and anger. I have no advice - of course the scientific side of my brain agrees that your plan SHOULD have worked, but that is absolutely no help to you. I just echo what the other ladies have said - you are a fantastically talented, hardworking, caring person and the scale doesn't alter that.

Like several of you, I too am officially well over my redline. And a big hypocrite to boot. Yesterday I said that I'd likely gain a bit, since I've not been watching calories due to work stress the last few weeks, and that's OK. Well, last night I went home and panicked that things were getting too out of control, so I weighed myself. Normally I weigh once a month to keep things consistent, and NEVER when I'm super PMS-bloated like I am right now. So basically I weighed last night to punish myself with a number. And boy was it an ugly number.

Michele: I too don't really know what my body "wants" to weigh. I used to think that I had a "set point", but I've had several different ones in the past year so now I think that my body just mirrors my behavior - for good or bad.

JayZeeJay
10-10-2013, 12:33 PM
A happy life shouldn't be something you get only when everything is perfect and under control.

This. This this this this this. This is my new mantra.

Shannon in ATL
10-10-2013, 12:57 PM

Andrea, I wonder if the rigid structure that you followed those three weeks hurt you rather than helped. You introduced a drastically different pattern foodwise a short period of time, you exercised a lot for that calorie level, and you heightened your stress worrying about it. I would imagine that your cortisol is through the roof right now. I wonder if things would start to move for you once things got settled in?

How did it work for you doing the 200 cals during the day and 1000 cals at dinner, prior to the stress binge? Did it feel good or did you have to force yourself to adhere to it every day?

traveling michele
10-10-2013, 02:47 PM
Sending more supportive hugs to you Andrea. I'm sorry you are experiencing such a frustrating time.

Mudpie
10-10-2013, 05:39 PM
Originally Posted by JayEll
A happy life shouldn't be something you get only when everything is perfect and under control.

The only time everything is completely under control is when we're dead and can't/don't care anymore, yes? :lol3:

silverbirch
10-10-2013, 05:54 PM
Andrea :hug:

I think Shannon's on to something re cortisol and stress. In general, I think it's fair to say that overwork, overtraining, too much stress and not enough sleep just don't go hand-in-hand with weight loss. However hard I try I can't see too much stress and weight loss skipping merrily down the street together. If illnees is involved, perhaps, but that's a different scenario altogether. For myself, I didn't manage to lose weight until I started having a lot of sleep (post baby).

ICUwishing
10-10-2013, 10:37 PM
Running. Much easier with food and wine waiting at the finish!

neurodoc
10-10-2013, 11:23 PM
Thank you for all your supportive comments. I'm a little calmer today (though not much).

Shannon, the part of my 200/1000 plan that felt pretty ok was the "no grains" rule during the day. That was pretty easy to manage. The 200 cals. part, that was pretty tough, especially by mid-late afternoon. And I also learned that even 1000 calories isn't all that huge, and if I wasn't careful, I would have no trouble going over that amount between 6 and 10 pm.

And, the whole reason I started the 200/1000 cal diet was because I read a research study that showed that habitual breakfast eaters lost weight when they stopped eating breakfast, while habitual non-breakfast eaters lost weight when they started - both groups kept total daily calories constant. The authors' take was that the key was change - that in both cases, you were asking your body to adjust to a new system. Since I have always eaten breakfast, I decided to try skipping.

Anyway, I think that while the diet per se wasn't terribly stressful, the anticipation of finally (finally, finally) being able to lose weight, and then not, was horribly upsetting. And together with family strife and work-related frustrations has definitely "sent my cortisol through the roof" (not sure which of you said that, but I love the biology analogy). Poor DH hasn't even gotten lucky in 5 days because I feel so down on myself. JayEll, I will try to practice some self-kindness.

Last comment, then off to bed. I used to think my setpoint was 140, but as I got past 35, my setpoint crept higher and higher, until my body was happy at 160. I could see that, for me, there would be no end in sight. I don't believe in setpoints, only eating/exercise habits coupled with basal metabolic rate, which slows distinctly with age and decreased muscle mass.

saef
10-11-2013, 09:52 AM
Yep. Back to 150. Right on the nose.

Despite the scale weight, my stomach is looking better than it ever has during my lifetime. Which is not to say that it's worthy of being photographed, because of my loose skin and one oddly deep indented stretch mark on the left side. But there's some definition under there. I'm going to think of that & not the scale weight.

Today I was lying on a mat in the gym doing five reps of the "Superman" pose, at the end of a long workout. A friend was stretching on a mat nearby, post-training session. I said to her in mock despair, "Is this all worth it?" and she said, "Oh my God, how could you say that? You look great. Your arms ...." I said to her: "I guess all I think about is what I **should** look like, or what I used to look like, rather than what I actually do look like." This is symptomatic of not living in the present, of course.

Mudpie
10-11-2013, 10:47 AM
Today I was lying on a mat in the gym doing five reps of the "Superman" pose, at the end of a long workout. A friend was stretching on a mat nearby, post-training session. I said to her in mock despair, "Is this all worth it?" and she said, "Oh my God, how could you say that? You look great. Your arms ...." I said to her: "I guess all I think about is what I **should** look like, or what I used to look like, rather than what I actually do look like." This is symptomatic of not living in the present, of course.

Living in the present definitely has its bonuses, if we let ourselves enjoy the moment. I guess hanging out all day with dogs gives me a bit of a different perspective. They are very much "in the moment" and most of them are pretty darn happy. :D

traveling michele
10-11-2013, 11:18 AM
That's awesome Saef-- both about your tummy and your arms!!

You know-- I wear a sports bra and shorts to bikram yoga most days. I have visible stretch marks and extra skin on my tummy and it isn't at all pretty. But I still like to see my muscles while I'm working out (there are mirrors everywhere). Some days I feel extra poochy and I don't wear a sports bra, but most days I do. Some women do there and some don't. Some are much larger than me that wear them, while others are young, trim, athletic girls with nary a stretch mark or blemish anywhere.

I'm off to set up my book fair. Should get lots of exercise lifting boxes of books today!

Shannon in ATL
10-11-2013, 12:30 PM
Becky - I can see food and wine as great motivation to finish a run! Woo!

Andrea - The anticipation and let down has driven me crazy before, too. I find the study results you referenced interesting, any change often makes things start to move, one way or the other. I'm not sure that I believe in one setpoint for a person either - if it exists, mine has changed greatly over the years. The slowing metabolism makes more sense.

Saef - great feedback from the woman at the gym. It is hard sometimes to see ourselves how others see us. And very easy to see 'should' and beat ourselves to death to get it.

Michele - I don't think I could wear a sports bra to yoga, good for you.

Our schedule with DSS got flipped around this week, he was supposed to be with us Thurs night and Fri night, his mom on Wed afternoon changed it to Wed night and Thurs night. I took the opportunity of being up early yesterday to go for a run before work, today I stayed awake and exercised. I feel pretty good. Lets see if I can keep that going. LOL

Mudpie
10-11-2013, 05:03 PM
Shannon You GO girl! :woohoo: :cheer:

silverbirch
10-12-2013, 03:33 PM
Chatting with Dagmar over on the October Bodies thread, I gave voice to the key element I should be focusing on. It's food. My exercise is in place (stretching/yoga, some weights and developing cardio). My sleep is generally OK. My food could do with a little more care and attention. I was saying to Dagmar that I remember Jessica (paperclippy) used to post, often alone, in a food thread. I think I might start posting my food here and see how it goes. If it looks as though an accountability thread would be better we can start one.

So, today (Saturday).
Brekkie was muesli, berries, cottage cheese, wheatgerm, semi-skimmed milk.
Mid-morning snack. Apple and too much peanut butter. (This was particularly stupid as I have an idea that pnb is not helping my shortness of breath at present and I'd decided to remove it from my diet for a while.)
Lunch. Pile of salad (no dressing - almost never have it), tuna mayonnaise left over from the DB's packed lunch yesterday, some crackers. (Crackers not v good choice but the SO had not finished making bread).
Mid-arvo snack. None at correct time as someone came round about building work and I was deep in discussion.
Tea. Spaghetti bolognaise + green salad. SO's turn to make tea but odd afternoon so I ended up transforming remains of last night's mince (for shepherd's pie) into bolognaise. Lack of mid-arvo snack + almost imperceptible annoyance led to pre-tea apple, crackers & cheese. I hate this happening. The late afternoon crush of getting tea on the table when I want to be far away is the major and predictable hiccup in my otherwise happy food life.

It's now into the evening here and I shan't eat again before bedtime. Off to do language homework now.

JayZeeJay
10-14-2013, 09:37 PM
Weekend disaster for me:

I decided Thursday night to run a marathon on Saturday. Why? Good question!! Because my impulsiveness ended up costing me. It was a trail marathon that I tried to run last year but it was cancelled at the last minute. So, I was feeling pretty good last week and when I saw the email for the race I thought "might as well".

So... this race was almost entirely on single-track trails, very narrow and usually only one person wide, that skirted the sides of a deep valley heading down to the ocean. Less than two miles into the race, I rounded a corner and found a steep, rocky section of trail. The runners in front of me had had hit the brakes quickly and were picking their way through. I skidded to a stop at the edge of the trail and was perched there waiting my turn. The very large man running behind me did NOT hit his brakes in time and fell to one knee, knocking me off the trail entirely.

I smashed one knee on a large rock then rolled down and smacked my shoulder, hand and hip on the other side before stopping. A woman leaned over the trail and helped me all the way back up. (I don't even think I thanked her, I was still in slight shock. I feel bad about that now). Standing on the trail, I took an injury roll call and determined that it was largely superficial abrasions, a few deep punctures on the knee but nothing orthopedic. So I kept going. (Sound the stupidity alarm now).

An hour later, my knee had stiffened up and was throbbing in a very painful way. I arrived at an aid station in the middle of nowhere and asked about checking out of the race. They informed me that I'd have to get to the next aid station anyway since that's where they walked from. So, I ran/hiked/hobbled another 5 miles to the next station. By now my knee has stopped bending entirely so my gait is a horrible peg-leg lurch. Needless to say, every last person who saw me told me to check out of the race. My response: "I'm TRYING to".

At the next aid station (that was near a small road) I threw in the towel officially. The volunteers said that I'd have to wait another 7 hours for the race to end, then they would drive me all the way down to the finish (the opposite direction from home). There is no cell phone reception in that area, and I knew that my fiance would be heading over the hill and down to the ocean soon, expecting me to be there. So at that point I was resigned to my fate - 7 hours of being stranded there while my fiance was down at the finish worrying.

But then my savior arrived! In the form of an older man wearing a "trail work volunteer" shirt. He was walking by and overheard my dilemma, and offered to drive me back up to the starting point since his trail work was done. So I hopped in his car and headed back up the hill. He even had some disinfectant wipes in the car (though at this point my lower leg was a sheet of blood, so I think I had bled out any badness already). We even got to cell phone reception land and I call fiance just as he is heading out, so he comes to get me at the start. It all worked strangely well, despite the initial disaster.

Anyway, that was my Saturday! Sunday was a lot less eventful, I'm happy to report.

alinnell
10-14-2013, 09:51 PM
Oh my goodness! That is so sad! That darn guy that ran into you (did he apologize?). I'm so sorry for your pain and injury. That totally sucks. I hope you heal quickly and without residual problems. Thank goodness for the volunteer that drove you back!!!

saef
10-14-2013, 11:05 PM
I ate dinner at my cousin's house. I had a piece of his wife's home-made apple pie -- she mixed and rolled out the crust while my mother & I were chatting with her in her kitchen. I haven't had any pie in maybe five years. Usually I would eschew it entirely. I wanted it, but I also wanted to be more normal.

I will regret this attempt at normality if the scale shows me it was unwise on Friday morning, but heck, I did try.

Mudpie
10-15-2013, 06:30 AM
I ate dinner at my cousin's house. I had a piece of his wife's home-made apple pie -- she mixed and rolled out the crust while my mother & I were chatting with her in her kitchen. I haven't had any pie in maybe five years. Usually I would eschew it entirely. I wanted it, but I also wanted to be more normal.

I will regret this attempt at normality if the scale shows me it was unwise on Friday morning, but heck, I did try.

saefSo what if the scale is up a bit one day? :shrug: You had a chance to interact with your family and to sample something truly homemade. I hope you were able to enjoy the pie while you were eating it! :D

Mudpie
10-15-2013, 06:38 AM
I think the stress of moving is burning off all the stuff I'm eating. :p Plus I was doing physical stuff all three days that involved standing for long periods of time.

I ate rather poorly this long weekend due mostly to not getting the turkey on the correct day and not having back up meals in place. Thai food Sat., pizza Sun., and then the planned meal yesterday.

I also planned dessert for us Saturday and Sunday and partook of an unplanned one when the turkey people, in way of apology I guess, included 6 custardy tart type things with the turkey they finally did sell us.

And I drank a large beer on Sunday night but was too tired to binge eat chips after it. :dizzy:

I started out the 3 days weighing 138.6 lbs. I still weigh 138.6 lbs. and probably will have that as a constant weight until the move is complete. I'm good with that - too much to do to worry about it.

Dagmar :tired: but :dance:

ICUwishing
10-15-2013, 10:10 AM
JayZeeJay, holy moly what a story! :dizzy: Sending you some quick-healing vibes!

saef, I too hope that the pie turns out to be a non-event on Friday so that you can be free to enjoy the memory of the whole social happening and the taste of "peak pie". I'm also happy to hear that you are acknowledging your strength and finding the good points about your amazing body!

Dagmar, wishing you all the best for an uneventful move and no surprises! I'm really excited for you!

shannon, good job working the changes and taking advantage of the openings to exercise. May the good feelings go on and on!

silver, how goes the food mindfulness? I also find that everything seems to run itself pretty well except for what makes it to my mouth - I must have my brain deeply involved with it or I will eat the wrong things and way too much of the right things. :)

Entering the 3rd week of swimming; I've logged 11 1/2 hours at it so far, and I must say, it hasn't gotten much easier. I am gradually establishing my base pace times and hopefully look a little less like I'm fighting with the water. I am still incredibly tired after the evening workouts - so tired that I get a crappy night's sleep after it and am a zombie the entire day afterward (that's today). I'll soldier on. The team is great and the coach is amazing. Can't wait for the first meet - I'm looking at December!

traveling michele
10-15-2013, 11:06 AM
Jay-- are you okay now? What a story!

I did my first half marathon (and my last?) on Sunday too. My route was paved (mostly) and with some hills. I did it with two work friends and they had assured me we would power walk. However, they are much taller than me and I had to mostly jog to keep up! At mile 11, one of my friends got hurt and slowed way down but we still all finished together. We were hoping to finish under 3 hours but ended up 3 hours and 4 minutes. We beat quite a few runners though! I was soooo tired afterwards and am quite sore now. Is it normal to GAIN weight after a marathon? I was up 3 pounds yesterday (day after) and am only down 1/2 a pound of that now. I did eat a cheat lunch on Sunday after the run but I had a HRM on and burned over 1600 calories so I can't believe one meal did that much damage. I'm hoping it's just the soreness.

I'm on day two of my bookfair. Day one was insane. I can't wait for Friday afternoon and it all to be over.

alinnell
10-15-2013, 11:30 AM

If the pie had been a store bought pie I would have passed up on it, but homemade? And made while you all visited? No way. That pie was deserved to be eaten by family.

Is it normal to GAIN weight after a marathon?

Yes. It's your muscles retaining water to help heal themselves. A little ibuprofen for the residual pain and eventually you'll get back to normal.

Nothing to add myself this morning except that we are not alone. Both my DD and MIL are also complaining about having gained weight and neither feels like dieting.

Shannon in ATL
10-15-2013, 11:50 AM
Michele - I normally drop a few pounds the day after a half marathon, but it is usually from dehydration and swings back up to a couple over where I started by days two and three.

JayZeeJay
10-15-2013, 12:00 PM
Thanks all for the kind thoughts, my leg is slowly healing so hopefully no permanent harm.

Michele - my marathon trend is usually to be slightly dehydrated the next day but also to retain water in my legs. 48 hours later, my weight is usually stabilized.

Last night we had friends over for dinner - my fiancÚ wanted to do "Octoberfest" (on a Monday??) so he bought a boatload of beer and made sausages, potato salad etc. I ate a healthy dinner (a portobello "steak" for me instead of sausage) but then ate a large brownie after. Why? Because I also drank too much beer and was living large off the buzz. This morning I don't feel so great. So much for willpower.

Shannon in ATL
10-15-2013, 03:43 PM
Jay - you fell off a mountain, it is okay to have a brownie. :hug: How are you feeling today?

saef
10-15-2013, 10:45 PM
Everyone needs to go visit Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater. Right now.

But make lunch plans at a nice inn along the water, because if you stop at the General Store in Ohiopye, and ask for a steak salad, you get what is basically a cheesesteak dumped on lettuce, with french fries on top. Which is not going to make you feel good later when you see the photographs of yourself standing on the terrace at Fallingwater with your hips looking really big in new pants.

Mudpie
10-16-2013, 06:30 AM
Jay - you fell off a mountain, it is okay to have a brownie.

:rofl:

Dagmar

silverbirch
10-16-2013, 07:52 AM
Jay - you fell off a mountain, it is okay to have a brownie. :hug: How are you feeling today?

Correct.

silverbirch
10-16-2013, 07:56 AM
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL
Jay - you fell off a mountain, it is okay to have a brownie.

:rofl:
Dagmar

Correct.

alinnell
10-16-2013, 10:25 AM
Everyone needs to go visit Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater. Right now.

Frank Lloyd Wright is one of my favorites. I actually bought DS the Lego version of Fallingwater for Christmas last year. While I'd like to go there one day, his Taliesin West is a bit closer to me. I see there are several of his homes here in California, too. But I think they're actually still homes with people living in them and thus cannot be visited.

traveling michele
10-16-2013, 11:11 AM
My higher weight is back down now. However, it is mostly due to an upset stomach which isn't a good plan during my book fair. I was fine yesterday until 1:30-- at which time I thought I was going to pass out or puke. I had to leave and hit the restroom. After that, I felt queasy. I even skipped yoga which is a rarity for me! More tummy troubles last night and this morning and my weight is miraculously lower. I think it was a combo of things-- I had a rich meal on Sunday post the half marathon, I had way too much coffee yesterday, I had a couple of ibuprofen the past couple of days which don't agree with my stomach, and I had been eating extra veggies.... So... I'm going to be careful today and pray! We have our kindergartners coming through for their previews and to make wish lists (plus other classes)-- exhausting but cute!

saef
10-16-2013, 09:58 PM
I'm sure I'm going to be well over 150 lbs. tomorrow, thinking of the salty stuff I've consumed in restaurants and nearly the whole day seated in the car today, crossing the width of Pennsylvania. Well, I tried. This is not going to be one of those vacations during which I actually lose weight. I tried to live more normally, and the price of normality is always, always a regain.

Mudpie
10-17-2013, 07:32 AM
I'm sure I'm going to be well over 150 lbs. tomorrow, thinking of the salty stuff I've consumed in restaurants and nearly the whole day seated in the car today, crossing the width of Pennsylvania. Well, I tried. This is not going to be one of those vacations during which I actually lose weight. I tried to live more normally, and the price of normality is always, always a regain.

Most people gain weight on vacation saef. I always do because i can't cook my own food. But it's part of the fun of being away - no domestic chores!

silverbirch
10-17-2013, 07:39 AM
silver, how goes the food mindfulness? I also find that everything seems to run itself pretty well except for what makes it to my mouth - I must have my brain deeply involved with it or I will eat the wrong things and way too much of the right things. :)

Very nice pic, Becky.

Not doing badly, thank you. Could be a lot better so I'm wondering about having another go with the Beck Diet Solution (CBT). It's a good plan but I don't get along with her voice and some of it is downright foreign to me. There are ways round it, of course, but they are sometimes a few steps too far.

I am maintaining brilliantly, on the plus side. :o Oh dear, have just realised the last phrase has a double meaning ...

Andrea, I've seen your sig. :hug: It's simply not true.

ICUwishing
10-17-2013, 09:39 AM
michele, hope your tummy settles down. IMO, there is nothing cuter than a little kid excited about books and reading. Melts my heart. I will drop EVERYTHING to read to kid. :) Might have something to do with why DS14's vocabulary tested at post-secondary levels in 5th grade?

saef, it's all a cycle. Vacation refills the coffers of the spirit (or at least, it should!), and your normal everyday habits take care of your body. Nothing is ever a perfect balance forever. I picture it like a plate balancing on a pencil point; the typical everyday stuff is close to the center and the weird stuff is out on the edge. Everyday stuff keeps the plate on the pencil; weird stuff tries to tip it off. Getting back to balance slowly and carefully after something causes a tip is what I've been focusing on for a few years. I suppose the next chapter will be trying to replace the plate ... :D

silver, I'm right with you on holding the line at a higher level than I'd like. In the world of the balancing plate, I dropped a new thing into the middle with the swimming, and I don't want to do anything else different til I know where the new balance point is. I can say that I am beginning to see some shifts in my shape already; those are far more meaningful at the moment than a number on a scale. The picture was after our 4 mile "Run4Wine" - I'd already downed my glass of Cab and was feelin' just dandy! :D

Shannon in ATL
10-17-2013, 01:39 PM
Love the pic, Becky!

saef
10-17-2013, 02:06 PM
My weight was not as bad as I'd thought, at 150.8. That mean just short of a pound added since this past Friday. (I'm just back from the grocery store and imagining the deli counterman trying to get .8 pounds on his scale.) I'll see if this will wash away after a few days.

This vacation wasn't fun. It was an act of duty, visiting my uncle at the assisted living facility. He's 83 and he has lung cancer, and is receiving hospice care, as the treatments for it are too invasive and he is too fragile. At present his quality of life is good, even though he's hooked up to an oxygen tank. His memory isn't so good.

Only one part of the vacation could be described as fun: I took a break from three days of visiting him and drove out to see Fallingwater and another Wright Usonian house, this one called Kentuck Knob. That was a gorgeous, gorgeous day.

Now I'm here with two full luxurious days in my apartment to use exactly as I please. This is very rare, and I am looking around at things that I never get around to doing because of working so late.

JayEll
10-17-2013, 03:14 PM
I like your picture, too, Becky.

I have been taking T'ai Chi classes for the past six months. I've done martial arts and T'ai Chi off and on for many years--mostly off. But, evidently I have learned balance, grace, and proper form, even though my practice has been sporadic and haphazard.

I love doing T'ai Chi. While I'm doing it, I have no thoughts. It's moving meditation for me. Of course, I have to focus and be aware of the movements I'm doing--but I seem to have learned not to make this practice into just another opportunity to be obsessive and perfectionistic.

One of the many sayings in and about T'ai Chi is "no insufficiency, no excess." In other words, enough. Just right.

Jay

silverbirch
10-17-2013, 03:21 PM
I foreswear butter.

JayZeeJay
10-17-2013, 04:29 PM
Saef: I'm glad you were able to find time for yourself to enjoy beauty during your trip, and that you have that precious time alone in your apartment now. Luxuriate!

Andrea: Like Silverbirch, I saw your sig and gave you an e-hug.

Shannon: The problem is that I fell off a mountain and ate a brownie... plus three more over the next few days, plus about a gallon of beer over the week. The mountain wasn't THAT high. :)

I am becoming a broken record on this thread, complaining about work stress and how it is drowning me. But it still is! I work constantly and still cannot keep up with deadlines and demands. Some of this I did bring on myself (agreeing to write a few book chapters that I had no time to do), but most of it is external and more or less mandatory. I am also becoming a fraud on this thread - lately I see my weight going up steadily and I only slightly care. When I occasionally surface from work and want to do something like go to dinner, that's when I care whether I fit my clothes. But I need to care all of the time, not just then.

Shannon in ATL
10-17-2013, 04:49 PM
JayZ - LOL :)

krampus
10-17-2013, 05:01 PM
Is it OK if I post here? I would like to drop 2-3 but I'm feeling like a balancing act. I willfully overate yesterday at a restaurant and then got a huge cookie (probably 500+ calories) to go, which I shared with BF but felt secretly annoyed he had a quarter of the cookie.

My sciatica is acting up, and running and doing any leg work or even hamstring stretches makes it worse. Not being able to do as much activity = not being able to eat as much = tension and bitterness that it's not fair.

neurodoc
10-17-2013, 11:37 PM
Becky, you are so much younger and blonder than I imagined you. For some reason, I assume that everyone on this board is my age (mid to late 40s) though if I thought about it logically, I would have to acknowledge that it couldn't be (e.g. Paperclippy just had babies; Krampus came back from a post-college teaching stint last year, etc). Is the chlorine turning your hair green? I remember that was the bitter complaint of all my blonde swimmer friends in high school.

Silverbirch, you should have put that post on the "giving up a food" thread started by AnnRue. There is a debate going on there between the "all foods in moderation" faction, and the "give up your triggers" group. Good luck, regardless of what you ultimately do.

JayZee, I feel like we are spiritual sisters. I also feel wretchedly stressed out by trying to keep all the balls in the air, and then I get on the internet at 9 pm and do nothing but surf until 10:30 or so, which is almost as destructively counterproductive as eating a well-balanced 500 calories for dinner, and then blowing it with 2 bowls of granola and a giant handful of almonds for dessert (not tonight thankfully, but often enough).

silverbirch
10-18-2013, 06:04 AM
I foreswear butter.

Posted here, very fast by phone, as the phrase came into my mind. Please, I'd like you all to ask me about it, from time to time, as it is central to my efforts. We used never to have butter (back when I was not as fat as I am now) which suited us all. Then we started having it as it is real food (and a little can do no-one any harm) and because the SO finds it is the best thing for greasing bread tins. And then I started having more than a little ... and you will all know the rest. Carnage, as I think people say about having too much to drink.

Andrea, I suspect we have a normal distribution of age on this thread. Yes, mostly in the 40s but a few at either end. Krampus is in her twenties, I think, followed by Jessica and Megan. Mudpie and I are in our late 50s. I think Jay may be a little older than us. I think Bargoo may be a shade older than Jay. We are united by all having fabulous hair (wigs or natural).

Oh dear, the bell curve. It's related to my hips in some way, I think. :o

Mudpie
10-18-2013, 06:23 AM
Birchie Just curious - what exactly is late 50's? I've always wondered if they start at 56 (my current age) or a bit older. I know 59 is called "pushing 60" here so that's definitely late, late 50's.

Your comment about butter is interesting. I use it in cooking and for greasing various things like pans. But I also use non-hydrogenated margarine (the soft kind) in sandwiches. We have to refrigerate butter here and I can never remember to take it out to let it soften ( mostly I make the workday lunches at 6:30 a.m). I know it's marginally "food", as are the process cheese slices we eat, but it doesn't seem to affect me like other "non-foods" do.

I should really stop posting in this thread until the move is over. I am in no way attempting weight loss right now, nor even maintenance.

Dagmar (yearning for :beach: and :yoga:)

silverbirch
10-18-2013, 06:30 AM
Birchie Just curious - what exactly is late 50's? I've always wondered if they start at 56 (my current age) or a bit older. I know 59 is called "pushing 60" here so that's definitely late, late 50's.

I'm 58. :cool: Clearly, I am not pushing 60. How rude of people to talk like that. Let them say that to our faces and we'll show them. :carrot:

By this I mean to say that one should welcome and embrace whatever age one happens to be. They are all different and all fascinating. Being the person one is, at the particular age one is - and how it is for each individual - is part of happiness. Do not fall prey to generalisations about people at certain ages! /sermon over.

Dagmar, I think you're doing brilliantly with shedding possessions. It's all part of :yoga: Shedding avoirdupois will come when the time is right.

ICUwishing
10-18-2013, 09:29 AM
andrea, what you're seeing in that pic is not blonde - that's full-blown, genetically blessed, unadulterated whitish silver that goes whiter by the year. So far, not green! Heck, hair color won't stick to it, and apparently neither will chlorine. :) I am 46, for the record. But thank you much for the comment! I need to remember that a low number of pixels in low light is flattering. ;)

Krampus, of course you are welcome here! I had to laugh a bit about your resentment about parting with a piece of the mega-cookie - I feel the same way. DS14 has even wondered aloud if his mother might have a bit of a savage streak (he's very perceptive!). Sorry to hear about the sciatica. It sucks to have the body not on board when the mind is ready to exercise.

JayZee, :hug: I have had a lot of things (some of them pretty important) fall through the cracks recently, which dealt a major blow to my self-image of always being reliable. I tried to make a list of what had to be done so I could prioritize it and it got so big so fast that it had me close to hyperventilating. I currently am operating in amoeba-mode - I just go about whatever's at hand until some external stimulus causes me to go somewhere else. As a field biologist said, "It's the four F's : Feeding, fighting, fleeing, and um, er ... reproduction." :lol:

Butter is on hand at my house. I found a spread that is essentially butter whipped with olive oil, and I can live with that for things like toast. It is very easy to go overboard with it, agreed!

alinnell
10-18-2013, 09:57 AM
I'm 50.

And while I don't swear off butter, a pound of butter often lasts an entire year! (except for holiday time when I need a pound or so for the various recipes--depending on the number of people I'm serving.) I've been making panini sandwiches from time to time and don't grease the bread with butter but spray it with a little Pam. Saves calories and it isn't nearly as greasy to handle the panini.

BillBlueEyes
10-18-2013, 10:17 AM
I'm also pushing 60.

Like standing on it with both feet, stomping, LOL.

Staying the path last night was challenged when DW came home with a cake and, rather ungraciously, offered me a slice. I ate one. Didn't need cake at 9:45pm. Ouch.

traveling michele
10-18-2013, 10:58 AM
I'm Becky's long lost twin (also 46).
Last day of book fair. I can make it.... Yesterday was my long day as we were open at night too.
Today we are only open 7:30-12:30 and then we start packing up and counting money, etc. Always so glad when it's over. Then I can see my house, my pets, etc. again and get other things done that need doing.

Shannon in ATL
10-18-2013, 11:08 AM
I am 41. Today I feel much more stiff and sore than 41. As I am apparently also now having the occasional hot flash maybe I'm psyiologically older than I am chronologically. I was born three months early, though I don't guess that would do it. :)

Bill, everyone needs cake sometimes. And Krampus, I totally get the cookie resentment. Even knowing how large they are, I still don't always want to share.

Birchie - I read 'foreswear butter' and it started playing in my head sounding like a bit from a movie that I can almost remember. It will come to me today sometime.

I very seldom use butter - I have the same box in my fridge that has been there for close to a year. It is much easier now that I stopped eating much bread. Though I would cut off my foot for a toasted bagel with some of that butter/olive oil spread that Becky mentioned.

JayZee & Andrea - I'm trying to get back into the habit of caring all the time. I'm working on it. I also find myself so overwhelmed that when I finally surface all I want it to stare at the computer with a bowl of cereal or to go out to dinner. I'm trying to get away from that, substitute in other things, get back into preparing food I love at home in a healthy manner.

I have steadily gone up in weight every day this week, from my low last Saturday. I had some popcorn on Sunday, but that should be cleared out by now. Plus, I didn't swing up until Wednesday. I'm resentful that an entire week of good has resulted in more and more water weight every day this week. At least that is what I'm hoping it is. Logically I know that it is. But geez.

Shannon in ATL
10-18-2013, 01:28 PM
I've been reading a lot lately about calorie restriction and excessive exercise and how it relates to thyroid function, started with Leigh Peele and have branched out from there. A friend sent me this article yesterday and I find it interesting.

http://www.thegreatfitnessexperiment.com/2013/10/how-my-exercise-addiction-suppressed-my-thyroid-and-made-me-gain-10-pounds-in-one-month-research-the-relationship-between-exercise-and-hypothyroidism.html

I just had a physical, and my told me my weight was 'solid as a rock'. I asked her about the weight gain in the last two years, and she said that I was still in a healthy range, she wished she weighed what I did and basically said not to worry about it. My TSH is either at the low end of the range or under range, depending on which scale you use. I'm wondering if my stress and over exercise and diet have hurt me - all of a sudden back about a year ago everything stopped working, without me making much change in my diet or exercise habits. I gained weight, past what I considered muscle gain. Was it because I turned 40? Was it because of the beginning of the hot flashes I'm just now admitting? Was it too much stress and cortisol, not enough sleep,bad diet? Had I depressed my thyroid? Was it all of the above in one smushed up package? I'm trying to figure this out.

Shannon in ATL
10-18-2013, 01:28 PM
Michele - saw your FB pic with Clifford. You look hot, woman! :)

traveling michele
10-18-2013, 06:39 PM
Michele - saw your FB pic with Clifford. You look hot, woman! :)

Next to Clifford the Big Red Dog, anyone would look hot!!:D

Mudpie
10-18-2013, 08:49 PM
I'm also pushing 60.

Like standing on it with both feet, stomping, LOL.

I will remember this in 3 1/2 years. I too will stomp on it!

saef
10-18-2013, 09:32 PM
I'm 51.

And about five pounds higher than I was this time last year. A fraction of that is muscle, from weight training three days each week. I can see that my arms, shoulders and back have changed shape, and I have some ab definition. But I also am wearing a decent amount of loose skin.

I struggle with my exercise addiction. It's nowhere near as bad as it was. Today since it was my day off, I did indeed get up at 4:15 AM to go to the gym as usual. But I got there a little later from lingering over the morning paper. And though I thought of doing another half-hour of cardio, I decided not to. Nor to suit up & run again later in the day. Or take the 9:30 AM yoga class. A few years back, I would've done at least one or two of those things in addition to the usual routine.

Shannon, I've read that article before and will read it again, and I keep wondering about fitness professionals who teach a lot of classes, and whether thyroid issues are also an occupational hazard.

JayZeeJay
10-18-2013, 09:35 PM
I am 38. Feeling 50-something a lot of days lately.

Shannon - When I am in the mood to prepare the food I love, as you said, I definitely feel better both eating it and remembering it later. But, how do you get "in the mood" when you come home exhausted and often grumpy? Too often I just say "to heck with it".

Andrea - one very important difference between you and me is that you are also raising children... that is a substantial increase in the number of balls in the air for you. In fact, I wanted this to be THE year for starting a family for us. I don't really care if I show up to my own wedding very pregnant. It could be quite humorous - we could have a whole shotgun theme. But lately I am terrified at the thought. How in God's name would I handle motherhood on top of everything else? What is your secret?

neurodoc
10-18-2013, 11:34 PM
I'm 46 for another 2 weeks (B-day is Halloween). Guess the average age is about where I thought - you're right Becky, I was fooled by your silver hair and flawlessly youthful appearance.

Shannon, I read that blog faithfully every day ("The Great Fitness Experiment") and since reading the thyroid post, have thought about it a lot, even feeling a little sorry that I can't blame hidden hypothyroidism for my own weight gain, since I take a thyroid hormone supplement every day. I have to say, I am skeptical that exercise-induced endocrine dysfunction is that common - I think it takes a LOT of exercise to produce it. Like Saef points out, if it were that easy to get, there'd be an awful lot of exercise instructors and half-marathoners who were overweight, losing their hair and unable to stay awake (symptoms of hypothyroidism).

JayZee, it IS hard, but it isn't always equally hard. The stress ebbs and flows, some of it is self-inflicted, and much of it has a limited life-span (e.g., nursing while working, which lasts 6-12 months depending on how long before you wean). You also make choices, e.g., I am not in a tenure-stream position because I knew I would never be able to produce the 3-4 papers a year it would take to get tenure (and as an M.D., I don't really need -or even want- it). It is vital that you have good, reliable child care that takes the kid even if s/he's sick. For us, that meant a babysitter who came to our home, and a weekly housecleaner, which we could afford because we both worked full-time. And when we had DS #3, it meant that DH moved into an easier job that allowed him to work from home most of the time because it wasn't reasonable to ask the babysitter to throw the baby in the car every time she had to go pick up/drop off one of the older kids from their activities.

Happy weekend everyone.

Sheila53
10-19-2013, 03:06 PM
I'm 58. :cool: Clearly, I am not pushing 60. How rude of people to talk like that. Let them say that to our faces and we'll show them. :carrot:.

Hey, don't you know that 60 is the new 40?!?! Actually, I feel better at almost 61 than I did in my 40s when I weighed 100 lbs. more and walking around the block made me breathless. Don't fear 60!

silverbirch
10-19-2013, 03:18 PM
Hey, don't you know that 60 is the new 40?!?! Actually, I feel better at almost 61 than I did in my 40s when I weighed 100 lbs. more and walking around the block made me breathless. Don't fear 60!

:wave: Sheila, how nice to see you. No, I don't fear it - that's why I added the bit about being in the moment of whatever age you are. It's the derogatory way people talk about any age that gets me. And the way people try to pigeonhole people according to age.

Are you still RV-ing and eating hobo-style out of cans? (That may only have been once but the picture has stuck in my mind!)

neurodoc
10-20-2013, 12:46 PM
OMG people. This: http://eatmore2weighless.com/why-eating-less-and-exercising-more-can-backfire/ And this: http://eatmore2weighless.com/metabolism-reset-how-much-longer/

Both of these I got from being referred by a well-meaning friend to this site:
http://gokaleo.com/stop-dieting/

Has anyone on this thread read through or even done this? I've been not losing weight on 1200-1400 cal/day for over 2 years and thinking it was permanent. DO you think it's possible to "reset" your metabolism like this?

alinnell
10-20-2013, 02:37 PM
Andrea~this is exactly what my DD did. She decided that her year on Nutrisystem had done possibly irreparable damage to her metabolism. Sure she lost weight but she felt that the extremely low calories of the diet had harmed her. So she upped her calories but also upped her weight training--not so much cardio as she had been doing, but more weights. I think she was doing lower body one day followed by upper body the next and doing abs about every day and resting once a week (although on rest days she often jogged a couple of miles). Instead of eating 1200 calories a day, she was around 3000. Seriously, I don't know how she ate that much. Anyway, she was still careful about what she ate. Very high protein and low carbs. What happened was she continued to lose (albeit much more slowly) and lost a lot of inches. I can't remember who it was she was following that made her decide to do this. Now that she's back in school, she doesn't have as much time to devote to the weight training and really hasn't cut back on the calories much so she has regained some weight, although she still looks good IMO.

See if you can access this from her Wellness Facebook--I don't think it is set as private. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=500804113308352&set=pb.439747956080635.-2207520000.1382291857.&type=3&src=https%3A%2F%2Ffbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net%2Fhphotos-ak-ash3%2F964618_500804113308352_751327222_o.jpg&smallsrc=https%3A%2F%2Fscontent-a-lax.xx.fbcdn.net%2Fhphotos-ash3%2F431908_500804113308352_751327222_n.jpg&size=1024%2C768

JayEll
10-20-2013, 10:18 PM
neurodoc, I am one who agrees with what those articles say. I realized one day that eating low calorie and exercising 5 days a week was just not going to be sustainable in the long run. Not for me.

I am convinced that dieting did not help my situation except temporarily. The last time I lost, it took a couple of years for my weight to go back up, and I fought it all the way--but I couldn't sustain what seemed to be required. That is the big lie of the usual diet-and-exercise regimen--that you won't regain as long as you keep on going and stay with it. You don't hear a lot about diet fatigue, and if you do, it's usually tips for keeping going--rather than asking whether that's a good idea.

As time went on, it seemed like a really bad way to treat my body!

I am going at it differently now. It starts with how I want to live, not with how much I want to weigh or what clothing size I want to wear.

My weight has been stable for months now. I'm overweight, yes, but I am following no program, have no calorie target, no exercise target, don't weigh every day. I need to get back into being more physically active, but I have a lot of work right now and not enough hours in the day. Maybe in awhile that can change.

I wish for all of us that we can live our lives more joyfully, and with less stress, anxiety, frustration, shame, guilt...

Jay

bargoo
10-21-2013, 08:35 AM
Andrea~this is exactly what my DD did. She decided that her year on Nutrisystem had done possibly irreparable damage to her metabolism. Sure she lost weight but she felt that the extremely low calories of the diet had harmed her. So she upped her calories but also upped her weight training--not so much cardio as she had been doing, but more weights. I think she was doing lower body one day followed by upper body the next and doing abs about every day and resting once a week (although on rest days she often jogged a couple of miles). Instead of eating 1200 calories a day, she was around 3000. Seriously, I don't know how she ate that much. Anyway, she was still careful about what she ate. Very high protein and low carbs. What happened was she continued to lose (albeit much more slowly) and lost a lot of inches. I can't remember who it was she was following that made her decide to do this. Now that she's back in school, she doesn't have as much time to devote to the weight training and really hasn't cut back on the calories much so she has regained some weight, although she still looks good IMO.

See if you can access this from her Wellness Facebook--I don't think it is set as private. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=500804113308352&set=pb.439747956080635.-2207520000.1382291857.&type=3&src=https%3A%2F%2Ffbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net%2Fhphotos-ak-ash3%2F964618_500804113308352_751327222_o.jpg&smallsrc=https%3A%2F%2Fscontent-a-lax.xx.fbcdn.net%2Fhphotos-ash3%2F431908_500804113308352_751327222_n.jpg&size=1024%2C768

Gorgeous !

alinnell
10-21-2013, 11:38 AM
Thanks, bargoo!

So Saturday morning I did an hour on the treadmill (and at the end of the day had managed to walk over 10,000 steps--first time since getting my Up band). However, I spent the rest of the day in serious pain. I have been using my treadmill time to read my Kindle and I think that hour of having my head bent down to read (the Kindle rests on the treadmill while I walk) caused some neck strain--although I didn't notice it at the time. Within a couple of hours I had a knot in my upper back that was simply excruciating. I really don't want to give up reading while on the treadmill because it makes that hour go by so much more quickly. I'm wondering if DD still has a music stand around somewhere that I can rig up to hold the Kindle higher.

Sunday I only did 30 minutes on the treadmill and my neck/upper back only bothered me slightly when we went to see Captain Phillips and by the time the movie was over the pain was gone.

Shannon in ATL
10-21-2013, 11:41 AM
Sheila! I think about you every college football season when I see the blue field.

Allison - we mounted a shelf over the treadmill for that reason. Could you add in the audible copy of the book for treadmill time?

Reading those articles now. Back with thoughts later.

alinnell
10-21-2013, 12:18 PM
Allison - we mounted a shelf over the treadmill for that reason. Could you add in the audible copy of the book for treadmill time?

I'll figure something out. I suppose I could do audible, but I'm afraid my mind would wander and I wouldn't get as much out of the book.

Speaking of audible, my DD listens to books from time to time when she's got a long drive. She gave high reviews to The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by Anne Hathaway (although she said a couple of her voices were pretty bad).

JayZeeJay
10-21-2013, 02:52 PM
Has anyone on this thread read through or even done this? I've been not losing weight on 1200-1400 cal/day for over 2 years and thinking it was permanent. DO you think it's possible to "reset" your metabolism like this?

I am going at it differently now. It starts with how I want to live, not with how much I want to weigh or what clothing size I want to wear.

I read these links last night. One part that resonated with me is the idea that you can calorie restrict significantly, or you can exercise substantially, but to do both at once is no good. They said "pick your stress". An interesting idea! I certainly prefer the 'exercise substantially' option.

What do you think is the ultimate goal of this approach? Is it to "reset your metabolism" so that you can maintain the same weight as before, but at a higher net calorie level? Or is it to find the approach that allows you to live the way you want to live, and to simply maintain whatever weight that results from that approach?

On a weight-related topic: I went wedding dress shopping Saturday. Bridal salon: upscale, very fancy; each bride (all were in their 20s, and stick thin) standing in front of a giant semicircle of mirrors and surrounded by a gaggle of other women gushing over pretty much everything. Then there was me: late 30s, by myself, muscular and large-chested in a very NON-fashionable way. They sent me out into the salon to look at each dress in the mirrors, regardless of how hideous the dress looked. Because I was only interested in short, simple dresses (i.e. the unpopular dresses), they only had the model size in each to try on - the attendant said they didn't bother getting larger sample sizes for these dresses. So, I walked out over and over like a sausage stuffed into a size-4 casing, and the gaggles of women that were waiting for their own brides to emerge from dressing rooms had nothing else to do but stare at me. And comment. I saw their mouths moving as soon as I walked out. I've never felt more self-conscious or worse about myself. It didn't help that I'm at least 5 pounds over my red line right now.

On the plus side, my fiance cheered me up when I came home in angry tears. He took me to mexican food and told me he was marrying me BECAUSE I wasn't a princess who always dreamed of being covered in white tulle. He said screw the wedding industrial complex and especially the dieting-bride BS, just get a bright purple dress from Macy's and have fun. Which I may do. (I love purple) So, I think I will pick my stress (lots of exercise) and try for maintenance-level calories for a while, and see where that takes me. At least it is a plan, unlike what I've been doing lately which is just spiraling further from control.

traveling michele
10-21-2013, 03:27 PM
Jay-- sorry you experienced that-- wow!

I love purple-- go for it!!

alinnell
10-21-2013, 03:30 PM
Oh, geez, JayZeeJay, your story is just horrible! I'm so sorry you had to go through that! And just an FYI, I bought a beautiful dress from Zappos. Really nice-no shipping and no return shipping if you don't like it and you can try it on in your own home! No bride mothers to gawk at you and no need to deal with corporate bridal shop mentality.

ETA~when my DD did her thing (eating more, exercising more) she was doing it to get her metabolism back on track. Resetting it as you said.

BillBlueEyes
10-21-2013, 03:58 PM
Jay, - Three cheers for a

"bright purple dress from Macy's",

The idea of a fun wedding rocks my boat.

ICUwishing
10-21-2013, 04:41 PM
JZJ - your fiance is a major keeper. :)

saef
10-21-2013, 05:52 PM
I agree, JayZeeJay: You are definitely marrying the right guy.

And yes, it's remarkable to me how much I still crave female approval, not male approval, maybe because it's so much harder to obtain. Rather, it's some kind of mythical ultimate stamp of validation, the female approval that I've internalized within myself, but cannot EVER seem to give myself -- which is some kind of composite of mean girl comments, those searing things my mother said at one time or another, and some commonly received feminine "wisdom."

I feel like I'm babbling. I'll stop. But your story is gonna haunt me tonight on the drive home from the office.

Shannon in ATL
10-21-2013, 05:53 PM
Also digging your fiancee, JayZee. Seriously. :)