South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2003, 12:31 AM   #1  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Default Mini Quiches

Hey Ladies
I'm not on SB but I'm curious to try the mini Quiches every1's been talking about could someone post the recipe?
Thanks
Kierie
Old 06-25-2003, 12:48 AM   #2  
it's always something

These are from the book. They were ok the first time, but the leftovers haven't been as appetizing, lol. They could easily be doctored up, though.

Vegetable Quiche Cups to Go

1 pkg (10 oz) frozen chopped spinach
3/4 cup egg substitute
3/4 cup shredded reduced fat cheese
1/4 cup diced green bell pepper
1/2 cup diced onions
3 drops hot sauce (optional)

Microwave the spinach on high for 2 1/2 minutes. Drain the excess liquid. Line a 12 cup muffin pan with foil baking cups. Spray the cups with cooking spray.

Combine all ingredients and mix well. Divide among the muffin cups. Bake at 350* for 20 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

Makes 12 cups, or 6 servings.

Per 2 cup serving: 77 cal, 9 g protein, 3 g carbs, 3 g fat, 2 g sat fat, 160mg sodium, 10 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber.

They are very small, about an inch or less thick, so don't expect muffin sized quiches
Old 06-25-2003, 06:40 AM   #3  

Height: 5'-2"

Kierie, they taste very ummmm... healthy.
Old 06-25-2003, 08:21 AM   #4  
GARDENING ADDICT

I doctor them up by using Vidalia onions (sweet), red bell peppers, Spices like Mrs. Dash and cumin, but I also add more eggbeaters than the recipe calls for. This makes it more like a quiche and less like a bunch of spinach. Sometimes I also add some crumbled cooked turkey bacon for more flavor. I have not frozen then, as I like to keep them in a Ziplock container in the fridge. Each morning I pop 2-3 in the microwave for 15-20 secs and I'm happy.
Old 06-25-2003, 08:30 AM   #5  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Hmmm Tasting Healthy I was thinking I'm on Atkins (don't Shoot me ) That I would try Regular eggs and egg whites and blend in some FF cottage cheese for extra body I'm not sure what you dr A thinks of that but I have a gramma who doesn't need to diet and a mom who doesnt want the effort of dieting to feed So I'm going to try to make them taste a bit more sinful without the sin
hope it works!
i'll let you ladies know
Thanks so much for the input!
Kierie
Old 06-25-2003, 12:22 PM   #6  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

Kierie-Actually I have no problem with Atkins. Just can't stick to it!!! I'm hoping SBD will work for me. (I do better on low carb, but prefer the kind of foods that SBD allows!!)
Old 06-25-2003, 01:05 PM   #7  
it's always something

I was thinking, one of my favorite side dish recipes is our Spinach Casserole at http://www.3fatchicks.com/cookbook/v...ipe.php?id=340

Spinach Casserole

2 pkgs frozen chopped spinach
2 cups fat free cottage cheese
1/2 cup egg substitute (equal to 2 eggs)
1/2 cup fat free parmesean cheese

Cook spinach until heated through. Drain very thoroughly, pressing into a colander or squeezing out the excess water. Combine the cottage cheese, egg substitute, and parmesean cheese in bowl. Mix in spinach. Pour into a 9 inch pie pan or into 6 individual baking dishes which have been sprayed with nonstick spray. Sprinkle casserole with a little parmesean and paprika. Bake at 375* for 25 to 30 minutes, or until firm and lightly browned at the edges.

Since we are allowed cottage cheese on this diet, we could easily use something like this instead of the veggie cups for breakfast. Just use lowfat CC instead of fat free, and leave out the parmesan cheese. I frequently make it without the parmesan, and it's just as good. I know it tastes a lot better than the veggie cups, in my personal opinon.
Old 06-25-2003, 01:13 PM   #8  

Huh. More spinach, eh Suzanne?

Actually, that DOES sound better than the veggie cups... I'll try it... thanks Suzanne!

And Sil, your recipe sounds good, too. I must learn to cook and improvise.
Old 06-25-2003, 03:20 PM   #9  
it's always something

Oooh, the turkey bacon sounds good! Hmm, though, how do they make turkey bacon? Someone saw me whining about processed chicken once and sent a very vivid description of how they make it. I've not eaten processed meats since! Even the other day, I bought a pack of smoked turkey breast and put some in my omelet. Then I realized, it was probably made the same way, so the rest goes to the dog. I bet no one wanted to hear about that

Maybe I'll get real bacon, but separate it from the fatty part after it cooks.
Old 06-25-2003, 03:44 PM   #10  

Suzanne... PLEASE!! No vivid descriptions of my turkey bacon!!
Old 06-25-2003, 05:59 PM   #11  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Hey, just use Canadian bacon - peameal to us Canuks. It is OK according to the book and tastes yummy. To me turkey bacon tastes like turkey shoe liners!
Old 06-25-2003, 06:25 PM   #12  
it's always something

Good idea!

Isn't it funny how bacon can be different. When I lived in England, I thought their bacon was the funniest stuff I'd ever seen! I tried it, but didn't like it. It wasn't crispy. I put the leftovers in the freezer, just so I could show my mother when she came to visit!
Old 06-25-2003, 09:44 PM   #13  

RUTH!!!!
Old 06-25-2003, 11:24 PM   #14  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

Canadian bacon is great, but it costs quite a bit here. My parents have been trying to cut back on fats and they cook boiled ham in a teflon pan until it gets crispy and use THAT as bacon!!(For BLTs) Might be worth a try!!! On the other hand I could just say, HEY I'm worth it and buy the Canadian bacon!!! (easier!!)
Old 06-26-2003, 01:04 AM   #15  
Slimwithin

Suzanne, it's funny you should mention that about English bacon being so different. When we were in Zimbabwe, the only kind of bacon we could get was the English style, so when our daughter and new SIL visited, I thought I'd give him a treat by making a North American style bacon and egg breakfast. He didn't care for our side bacon at all. Then, when I went to visit them in Scotland, darned if they don't have the same kind of soggy bacon. It's not bad, but to me it's just not bacon. LOL But, when he visits me again, I now have a source for English style bacon so he will be a happy camper.
BTW, Ruth, in my part of Canada we don't call Canadian bacon, peameal, we call it back bacon. Just so's ya know. LOL
Closed Thread