Exercise! - Exercising when sick

View Full Version : Exercising when sick

diamondgeog
09-11-2013, 08:40 AM
I thought given the time of year this was a topic others might be interested in. I am going through my second week of my usual early September cold/flu/allergy something.

My wife is an elementary school teacher so she has a great immune system. Mine is not as good. So when all the kiddos come back she is a conduit for anything they have and I usually get sick.

I kept thinking I would get better so I haven't gone to a doctor and it has been up and down. I haven't done my C25K program during the cold or whatever it is. I have gone to the gym once and worked on our home recumbent bike 2 or 3 times.

Do you try to exercise when you are sick? Does it depend upon what you think you have? Can it even help recovery? How about with flu season coming up when you have the flu? Say you took the day off and are resting and drinking lots of fluids. Would you also try some cardio? If so very limited? Or just no exercise at all?

zoesmom
09-11-2013, 08:43 AM
I try. And regret it everytime. Everything you read says you shouldn't exercise while sick, and if you do, keep it super light as it can hamper your ability to overcome the illness in a timely fashion. Where as I love to give the same advice, I certainly don't follow it. I think I am an idiot or something when it comes to knowing my own limits :D

diamondgeog
09-11-2013, 09:15 AM
Hum....I always seem to feel a bit better and it seems, often, to speed recovery. I know 'rest' is ususally the advice for many things. And I do. But if my wife and daughter are both at school, I sometimes do a little cardio with resting most of the day and it seemed to help.

zoesmom
09-11-2013, 09:19 AM
Here you go (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/exercise/AN01097)...gives a more crisp answer than I could. :) I have lung issues, so for me, it is a VERY bad idea when I am sick, so it may be more of a how you cope personally thing :)

GordonGirl16
09-11-2013, 10:40 AM
Regular exercise boosts your immune system. Actually, without exercise, your immune system only operates at around 50%. So in the long run, you shouldn't get sick as often. But when you ARE sick, I personally just go with how I feel. If I feel like I need the extra sleep, I sleep, or rest, or whatever. But if you feel like you could do a little, and if you think you tend to feel better after you workout, I say go for it :)

LiannaKole
09-11-2013, 01:26 PM
For me, when I get sick it's the routine of my exercise that I don't want to break (my exercise is simple and short anyway, mostly because I hate it so much).

I usually walk/run for 30 minutes five times a day, and then do some sort of weight training twice a week for 10-15 minutes (or the duration of whatever program I'm doing). For me, this is not about losing weight, it's about making sure I have a minimum amount of activity for basic health.

I do exercise with...

The flu - if I'm not frequently vomiting or extremely weak (this rarely happens).

A cold - if I don't have congestion that's so bad that I can't breath when I exercise. I usually try it anyway because exercise can break loose the mucus sometimes. I just don't suffocate myself for exercise.

Basically if I'm not dying, I try to do some exercise just to not lose my routine. Otherwise it's a pain to get back on track. I might change my exercise to something milder if I'm really sick. But like I said, my exercise is usually pretty mild to keep me from wanting to off myself when I do it.

Kscott
09-11-2013, 03:01 PM
Well, you don't exercise when you're sick--PERIOD. We all get side-tracked every now and then with our exercise routine--because of flu's and cold's, and other things that happen. That's life. Your body is now fighting off the flu or cold--and the worst thing you can do--is prolong it or make it worse by doing vigorous exercise routines.

Just relax--get over it--THEN jump back in there on your exercise routine--and you'll be back to where you left off in no time.

So the key is to try and not get sick. I know exactly what you're talking about as I have picked up my grandson and grandaughter from pre-school. If they got something--I was certain to get it too. So a couple of tips for you and these are tips that come from a nurse practitioner that deals with sick kids every single day.

1. Wash your hands often.
2. Get some of that germ spray to put on your hands.
3. Use a Netty pot--once in the morning and once before you go to bed. (These are the NP's secret for not catching random virus's from her patients.)

That should help keep the bugs away--and keep you on a regular exercise routine. Also if you think it's your wife that's bringing it home--ask her to wash her hands at school--before she comes home--and use the germ spray too. That should make a big improvement in your overall health.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT049p8VWPTMkrvIsm0imxcgjvZrn75T 5WtIiPL_TicWpeEXYP72Q

newme55
10-29-2013, 07:43 PM
It depends on how sick I am. If its minor then I have no problem going for a jog, as long as I get a full night of sleep that night.

Secret Swan
10-30-2013, 06:05 PM
Depends. Mostly I do. I was sick a few weeks ago, though, and I was feeling bad enough that I actually cried when I had to take the fog out, so I did not work out for several days. With colds and things I think it might feel bad at the time but it helps you recover faster.

Tabbycat
10-31-2013, 07:31 AM
This question was asked in the latest issue of Prevention magazine. The response was "check your neck." If your symptoms are all above the neck (stuffy or runny nose, headache, sore throat) it's probably fine to exercise, but not to the point of exhaustion. If you have symptoms below the neck (body aches, chills, stomach issues, chest pain) then wait until you have recovered.

alaskanlaughter
10-31-2013, 05:27 PM
i really feel that it's a very personal answer as to how your body tolerates exercise and whether it helps you recover or not...since i've been regularly exercising pretty intensely for a few years now, i find that i get MUCH LESS colds in general but when i do get sick, it's with sinus infections, bronchitis, ear infections and pneumonia - all of which i'm susceptible to anyhow

i also have asthma and if i feel that running will aggravate my lungs, i will NOT work out...i also tend to recover quickly from illness, that's something my body has always been capable of regardless of exercise...in my personal experience, if something lasts over a week without improvement (even a cough) then it's time for a doctor visit and antibiotics...i've learned the hard way that ignoring that cough tends to land me in the emergency room with pneumonia

in the few years that i've been going to the gym regularly and putting in some pretty intense workouts regularly, i've missed 3 days in a row a few times and once i missed 4 days in a row because i had a sinus infection which caused a root canal infection ughh

augeremt
11-05-2013, 06:18 PM
If your symptoms are all above the neck (stuffy or runny nose, headache, sore throat) it's probably fine to exercise, but not to the point of exhaustion. If you have symptoms below the neck (body aches, chills, stomach issues, chest pain) then wait until you have recovered.

^This.

Anything above the neck is fine, but if you're hurting below the neck then heal up before exercising.

I tend to exercise by that rule and so far it's worked out for me. Oftentimes being outside (even in the winter) actually makes me feel better so that's even more incentive to get moving for me.

Kscott
11-06-2013, 04:53 PM
I thought given the time of year this was a topic others might be interested in. I am going through my second week of my usual early September cold/flu/allergy something.

My wife is an elementary school teacher so she has a great immune system. Mine is not as good. So when all the kiddos come back she is a conduit for anything they have and I usually get sick.

I kept thinking I would get better so I haven't gone to a doctor and it has been up and down. I haven't done my C25K program during the cold or whatever it is. I have gone to the gym once and worked on our home recumbent bike 2 or 3 times.

Do you try to exercise when you are sick? Does it depend upon what you think you have? Can it even help recovery? How about with flu season coming up when you have the flu? Say you took the day off and are resting and drinking lots of fluids. Would you also try some cardio? If so very limited? Or just no exercise at all?

I won't exercise when I am sick. I know what you mean about all the virus's. Last week it was stomach flu--immediately thereafter I have a cold-cough--and good indication that school is back from summer break ha.ha.

I have missed a week of Jazzercise classes--and really want to go today--but I know better than to even try it. Maybe tomorrow?