Chicks in Control - Binge-Free in September.

View Full Version : Binge-Free in September.

tyla
09-09-2013, 01:45 PM
I know this is a little late, but I thought a September thread is what's needed here. Anyone is welcome to join at anytime. Let's make September a binge-free month. :)

tyla
09-09-2013, 01:46 PM
This is day one for me! I feel excited and powerful already. :)

vintagecat
09-09-2013, 02:44 PM
I'm there with you.

tyla
09-09-2013, 04:14 PM
Welcome, vintagecat! I'm so happy you could join me!

Before I started this thread this morning, I was spiraling out of control. After I decided to post this, I stopped and took control of myself. We can totally make the rest of September a binge-free month! :hug: And congrats on your weight loss! :congrat:

Mrs Snark
09-09-2013, 04:50 PM
I'm with you! Let's make September awesome!

tyla
09-09-2013, 05:08 PM
Hi Mrs. Snark! I'm so glad you could join us, because you are already my inspiration! Maybe some of your spark can rub off on me. :hug:

(Check out Mrs. Snark's before and now pictures on her blog!)

MrsKevin
09-09-2013, 06:57 PM
:carrot:
Tyla I am sooo with you-- no-binging for this gal- September....BRING IT! (I just won't eat it!) :lol:

:hug:MrsKevin

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wMRWPZL/weight.png
(http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wMRWPZL/)
------------------
Long Term Goal: 82# to lose
My Mini Goals:
Under 200#
Under 180#
Weight at 156# (50# lost and out of obsese BMI range at 164#)
Goal 142#
Target date for Goal Weight- Feb 7, '14 (my 50th bday)

tyla
09-09-2013, 10:38 PM
:lol: , MrsKevin! You're too funny. So glad you could join us. Let's make this happen! :)

tyla
09-10-2013, 09:06 AM
Today is day 2 under my belt! I feel renewed already. I've decided to research more about health and the mind, and report any tips that I've learned.

In the meantime, have a great day!

Mrs Snark
09-10-2013, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the nice words, Tyla!

I had a great on-plan day yesterday, and I stayed strong while my dh ate chikfila french fries and what not (I tried not to look!)!

Hope everyone has another great day today!

thesame7lbs
09-10-2013, 09:16 PM
Tyla, thanks for starting this thread! I have been away from 3FC for a long time and looked for this when I cam back. Glad to see it.

Day 15 for me!

mzshaunna
09-11-2013, 02:48 AM
I definately need to join this as motivation to stop sabotaging myself. My problem is that temptation is always staring at me in the face as I work at a mining village and they make awesome pastries and deserts, and then there's also a mini store at the reception I work where's there's chocolates chips and ice-cream galore. I started off good in the morning by having porridge and fruit for snacks, I even packed myself a nice healthy lunch. Then I completely ruined it by having three small chocolate bars and a bag of chips :(:( So frustrated with my binge eating habbits

Mrs Snark
09-11-2013, 09:56 AM
Happy Wednesday everyone! I went out to eat with my family last night and I stuck with my plan at the restaurant (I looked at the menu ahead of time).

And, even better, I stayed on plan AFTER dinner when I was alone (in the past, just going out to eat with people could be a trigger and I would be very strictly on-plan during the meal and then secret binge later). I was on guard for that behavior and fortunately I didn't feel the urge to do that. :)

Mrs Snark
09-11-2013, 09:58 AM
I definately need to join this as motivation to stop sabotaging myself. My problem is that temptation is always staring at me in the face as I work at a mining village and they make awesome pastries and deserts, and then there's also a mini store at the reception I work where's there's chocolates chips and ice-cream galore. I started off good in the morning by having porridge and fruit for snacks, I even packed myself a nice healthy lunch. Then I completely ruined it by having three small chocolate bars and a bag of chips :(:( So frustrated with my binge eating habbits

It is so hard to get binging under control when you are surrounded by trigger foods. Try and stay out of that mini store at all costs! Be prepared that in the afternoon you will start thinking of going in, and whip out a big apple, or a notebook and write you feelings down, or a book, or music. Anything to distract you and break the pattern.

tyla
09-11-2013, 12:48 PM
Good Morning, Everyone!!

Mrs Snark, congratulations on eating out and staying within your calorie range! And kudos to you for staying strong when you came home! Habits are hard to die, but you did it. :)

Welcome, thesame7lbs.! So good to see you again! It's been months since I've been here, too. Guess we're on the same time frame. :lol: Let's make September a great month. :cheer2:

Welcome, Mzshaunna! Glad you could join us. Hopefully we can come up with ideas to help you with your situation. We're here to support each other. Sugar temptations are hard sometimes, unless you start looking at them differently. This is what I've learned so far about sugar:

I've been researching why we overeat at times. One of the main reasons is having a sugary treat. I've learned that sugar makes you crave more sugar. It's addictive like a drug. Researchers have done studies with rats, giving them sugar, and they wanted to eat more and more sugar.

Sugar not only leads to obesity, but inflames joints, is not metabolized well by the liver and causes a myriad of illnesses--like cancer. Also high fructose make us want more food. (Food at McDonald's is loaded with high fructose.)

I'll continue to research the reasons why sugar is so bad for us. We need to look at sugar as a killer, not a treat.

Today is my 3rd day of healthy eating. I feel so much better for it. I'm starting to think clearly again. Got my menu and exercise planned for today.

Let's continue to do our best! :goodluck:

tyla
09-11-2013, 02:25 PM
After reading medical studies, this is what I found:

Here some of the dangers of consuming sugar:

1.Feeds candida (yeast infections)
2.Promotes wrinkling and aging skin
3.Makes your blood acidic
4.Can lead to osteoporosis
5.Rots your teeth
6.Raises your blood sugar level
7.Contributes to obesity
8.Is addictive (almost as much as drugs)
9.Creates the urge to binge
10.Provides 'empty calories' with no nutritional value
11.Contributes to diabetes
12.Robs your body of minerals
13.Robs you of energy
14.Contributes to heart problems
15.Causes cancer
16.Contributes to ulcers
17.Causes gallstones
18.Contributes to adrenal fatigue
19.Suppress your immune system (Overweight people have more colds, flu)
20.Raises the level of neurotransmitters called serotonin
21.Weakens eyesight
22.Sugar can cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar levels).
23.Causes aging
24.Contributes to eczema
25.Causes arthritis
26.Causes depression

Mrs Snark
09-12-2013, 08:51 AM
Nice, Tyla, thanks for sharing that. I make a major effort to stay away from sugar and I can see right there how much it is benefiting me to do so!

Sugary, sweet-tasting, and even artificially sweetened food is definitely a trigger for me -- I used to binge eat jelly of all things. For some reason fruit doesn't cause me the same problems thank goodness.

Yesterday afternoon I started to feel snackish and weak-willed so I ate my dinner early and delayed a trip to the grocery store so I wouldn't be tempted to buy anything off plan. I feel much more normal and in control this morning, so glad I put off shopping until today when I can do it in a good frame of mind!

Have a great Thursday everyone!

Psychic
09-12-2013, 11:45 AM
I have been doing fairly well lately, but I did binge a bit last night. I ate half a bag of goldfish crackers in one sitting. I don't even know why I was eating them. I wasn't hungry, I wasn't upset, I just felt the need to eat. I suppose I do that from time to time with no real reason.

My triggers are salty foods like potato chips, cheezits, cheese, etc.

tyla
09-12-2013, 12:57 PM
Good Morning, Everyone!

Day 4 here of in range calorie eating and exercising. I feel really great about that. :)

Mrs.Snark, excellent job on eating dinner a little early rather than overeating! Kudos to you for staying strong. :woohoo:

Psychic, I'm not sure why we crave different things sometimes, maybe because they're different. In any event, you stopped! That's a huge deal in my book. :yay:

tyla
09-12-2013, 06:11 PM
Psychic, Re: cravings, I just read an article in Psychology Today. Besides emotional issues, one of the reasons for craving certain foods is that we associate the certain food with comfort and love; another reason is that we've been dieting too long and need to change things up. There are also biological reasons. This article suggests:

"Allowing yourself a small portion of the craving culprit will give you the feeling of accomplishment and you’ll likely be satisfied without overindulge as may be the case if you try ignoring it for too long."

"Combing the less healthy food with something of nutritional value will make the snack less troublesome on your body and your mind. Adding a few M&M’s to your yogurt for example will cater to your craving in a less regretful manner."

Hope this helped somewhat. :) You know this is all well said and done, but for me, in the past, if I start eating junk food I have more trouble (unless I count my calories and plan it). Just my two cents. :lol:

thesame7lbs
09-13-2013, 02:07 AM
And, even better, I stayed on plan AFTER dinner when I was alone (in the past, just going out to eat with people could be a trigger and I would be very strictly on-plan during the meal and then secret binge later). I was on guard for that behavior and fortunately I didn't feel the urge to do that. :)

Oh, Mrs. Snark, this is FANTASTIC! That situation is a challenge for me as well. Next time I go out and get successfully through an event or meal, I will keep this post in mind -- I will be on guard!!!

Day 17 for me. :)

tyla
09-13-2013, 11:02 AM
Good Morning, Everyone!

TGIF!!!! :carrot:

This is my 5th day of healthy eating and exercising, and I can tell a difference in my waist, thank God. :yay:

The same7lbs., day 17! :woohoo: Congratulations for doing so well!

Let's make September a great month! :dust:

Mrs Snark
09-14-2013, 10:33 AM
thesame7lbs - Congrats on Day 17! That's awesome!

Tyla -- I'm glad you're feeling so good, it is always such a relief when you can start seeing and actually feeling the changes that result from the hard work! :carrot:

This is a tough weekend for me as we have big celebrations both last night and tonight that are super food/drinks-oriented. I'm planning for big-ish dinners and a drink or 2 both nights, so I have to work extra hard to:

1. stay on plan throughout the day leading up to the dinners (stressing!).
2. stay on plan DURING the event (alcohol can mean bad judgment and I'll be surrounded by trigger foods!).
3. try to still enjoy myself without going overboard or sucking the fun from the event for myself.

I've been binge free since mid-April and I'm working hard to maintain that. I've made it through lots of indulgent celebrations so far, I'm learning not to freak out under the pressure, but it is STILL HARD and takes focus and planning.

mzshaunna
09-14-2013, 09:03 PM
Thank you so much ladies for the support :) Love the advice on these forums, definately helps to make things easier

tyla
09-14-2013, 10:14 PM
MrsSnark, please hang in there. Know that we're all thinking of you and rooting you on! You can make it through! :cheer2:

MzShaunna, Glad to see you here. I hope things are going a little better for you. Sometimes you have to make a game out of your day. I used to work in a bakery, and I would give myself a star after each half hour would pass and I didn't pick on anything. I would leave from work with a sheet full of stars. Believe me, it was hard sometimes, when everyone else would eat and I would refrain.

Today is day 6 for me of being on plan with my calories. Weekends are harder for me than weekdays, but I made it through today! :D :yay:

Mrs Snark
09-15-2013, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the support Tyla! :hug:

I am glad to have that behind me.

Truth is, I didn't even enjoy the treat food I had planned very much and I feel awful today -- like having a food flu. Looking forward to nice, normal, stress-free, healthy meals now. Never thought I'd say *that*, lol.

thesame7lbs
09-15-2013, 01:11 PM
Hi Everyone,

Yesterday was Day 20 for me... I might stop counting and just focus on going binge-free in September. I remember when I couldn't go more than 2 days, though, so it's nice to see the 20.

I'm going to a get-together this afternoon. I know there will be wine and I'm sure there will be snacky food. I am optimistic that I can get through it without going overboard, and I will be on guard for the post-party binge! I think I need to plan a yummy, healthy dinner to ward that off.

Tyla, great job making it through a weekend day. I agree -- they are harder! Less structure.

Mrs. Snark, I hear you on the food flu. Makes you realize how bad those foods are for our bodies.

tyla
09-15-2013, 06:17 PM
It's been a week of healthy eating for me, and you're right, thesame7lbs, enough with the counting and more with the healthy eating. :)

MrsSnark, I'm so glad you got through the weekend. :carrot: I feel like you...even when I plan unhealthy eating, I feel kinda sick afterward.

Thesame7lbs., best of luck with your gathering this afternoon. You can do it! :goodluck:

Hugs to both of you! :hug: :hug: And here's to another great week!
:dust:

Mrs Snark
09-16-2013, 01:50 PM
Happy Monday, another beautiful week in front of us, another week to treat ourselves like the healthy goddesses we are! :)

Tyla - congrats on a full week, such an accomplishment! Weekends are always harder for me, but eventually I do find a groove and they get a teeny bit more easy to handle.

7lbs - hang tough at your get together -- it sounds like you have an excellent attitude and plan, you can do it!

mzshaunna -- How are you today, how was your weekend?

I feel much better today, happy to be putting food in my body that doesn't make me feel cruddy! I pretty much have my meals all planned out for the full week (once less thing to worry over) and I'm feeling good.

Hugs to all!

tyla
09-16-2013, 02:06 PM
Happy Monday, Everyone!
I just noticed there's only 2 more weeks until October! Are you kidding me?! Wow, this year is going fast. So all of us being here together, rooting each other on, should help us get through those next few weeks.

MrsSnark, I agree with you, planning my meals makes it so much easier to stay on track. It also makes me more structured, which is what I need.

If anyone else is struggling and wants to get back on track, please join us. Everyone is welcome. It takes one day at a time. :)

Hope everyone is having a great day!

tyla
09-16-2013, 03:36 PM
Wow, it can hit you like a ton of bricks, can't it?! I was stressed over a class I have to teach on Thursday, and couldn't find part of my notes. Suddenly, I wanted to eat everything in sight. I tried to distract myself a million ways, but still was a nervous wreck. I vented like a nut to my poor husband at work, and he calmed me down. I haven't found my notes yet, but I went from an uptight crazy person to finally becoming somewhat normal. I can't believe all of this happened and I didn't eat! :) I'm here to report it can be done. :yay: Now I have to call my husband back and thank him.

Mrs Snark
09-16-2013, 04:27 PM
I can't believe all of this happened and I didn't eat! :) I'm here to report it can be done. :yay: Now I have to call my husband back and thank him.

GOOD JOB!!! And yes, it really can sneak up on you when you are least prepared!

Hang in there and I hope the Notes Fairy returns your teaching materials to you pronto!

NoNoNOJ
09-16-2013, 07:45 PM
I wanted to chime in to check in. Last night was rough but not terrible. I am trying to be gentle with myself. I don't have to judge myself over my behavior, this just creates more self-hate. I am working on self sabotaging behavior.

NoNoNOJ
09-16-2013, 08:06 PM
One more thing...I am going out for dinner tonight with a colleague. This sometimes presents problems for me. I am committing to sticking to my food plan and not sabotaging myself.

thesame7lbs
09-16-2013, 08:17 PM
Hello everyone!

Tyla, AWESOME JOB! :cheer: I think learning to pull back from the "edge of the abyss" is probably the most useful skill we can learn to overcome binge behavior. And you did it today! And every time you flex that "pull back" muscle, it gets stronger. Nice!

MrsSnark, planning for a whole week -- that's great! I try to plan for the day each morning, or the night before. It would be good for me in so many ways to plan on, say, Sunday, for the whole week ahead.

Mzshaunna, hope you had a good weekend!

NoNoNOJ, you are so right -- don't judge yourself. We are not -- we are fighting and struggling and learning to overcome something. Everyone has a "thing" (I said this to a friend once, and she said, "[I]A thing? I have a hundred things!"). Right now, this is yours thing (and mine). And we're fighting it every step of the way.

I did well at my party yesterday and, even better, did well after -- no post-party-relief-binge. I treated myself to a diet coke afterwards (I used to drink one a day, but now I'm cutting back, so it really was a treat!). Sushi for dinner, a couple hundred calories over goal for the day but that was OK. I'm in a deficit and I ran 6 miles so 200 calories for wine is something I'm comfortable with!

mzshaunna
09-16-2013, 09:03 PM
tyla - thank you for the words of encouragement :) I applaud you for being able to do it in a bakery, one of my first jobs was working in a bakery inside a supermarket and man that was hard especially when the baker was tempting us with freshly made donuts (one of my weaknesses)

Mrs Snark - hope you feel better soon :) I am feeling better and my weekend went well in terms of exercise but still need to watch what I am eating. Definately improving though, even if it is only in baby steps

NoNoNOJ - hope everything went well with the dinner. I find them hard as well as I am always tempted by hot chips

I am still slipping up every now and then but if I compare heck even to a week ago and several weeks before then, I am slowly progressing. I think I am going through a detox at the moment as I am feeling pretty crummy :(

Mrs Snark
09-17-2013, 10:35 AM
Great job 7lbs! :carrot: It sounds like it was a good day!

NoJ - I hope everything went well last night!

MzShaunna - Progress is what is important, not perfection! I'm sorry you are feeling crummy, detox is rough. I just had a mini-detox after having planned junk food over the weekend, and bleeeerg, it felt awful!

I had a great day yesterday -- everything I ate tasted good and was emotionally satisfying as well; I never felt overly hungry or snacky; my run was blissful; and my mind was peaceful and quiet. I love those kinds of days!

tyla
09-17-2013, 04:24 PM
It's been a hectic day today with lots to do, but in spite of that, I'm actually doing much better than yesterday. I've decided to practice without my notes and do the best I can with what I've got. And it will all turn out ok. Thanks, everyone, for your support and encouragement! :thanks:

Welcome, NoNoNoJ! What a great idea to be kind and gentle to yourself! I love that idea. I must work on that, too. I seem to be kind and gentle to others, before I do so with myself. In my eyes, I must be perfect. :dizzy: Congrats to you for learning a new behavior!! I hope all worked out with your dinner.

7lbs, you have a great attitude! I love the fact that you can go over a couple of hundred cals and put it behind you. Then drinking a diet coke after the dinner. Excellent! Plus you ran 6 miles!!! That's fantastic!!

MzShaunna, That is wonderful, that you are doing much better than last week. It's all about baby steps and progressing forward! Best of luck to you!!

MrsSnark, I love your attitude, too! As I was running around getting my errands done, I thought of you! I was trying to be more peaceful and quiet. It helped me a lot!

Lots of hugs to all of you, and let's continue to make this a great day!! :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

mzshaunna
09-17-2013, 07:39 PM
For the first time yesterday I had a junk food-free binge day :) :) no chips or chocolate. I did snack on some chilli flavoured peanuts which probably isn't too great as it's not healthy because of the flavouring. I have made some diet jelly so today have something a bit better to snack on

Mrs Snark - I definately agree, detox is rough lol! I guess it was my body's way of telling me off haha thankfully I am feeling much better today.

tyla - thanks for that tyla :) best of luck to you too, I am sure we can all get through this together

Mrs Snark
09-17-2013, 09:08 PM
What is diet jelly? Not something I'm familiar with!

tyla
09-17-2013, 10:24 PM
I just got back from Zumba class. Boy, am I exhausted! It wasn't that hard or anything, just continuous movement for an hour. My poor legs and knees are sore. (Hope I can walk tomorrow.) We did every kind of dance you could think of...Hip Hop, Rock, Twist, Cha Cha, Indian Dancing, Belly Dancing, etc. Wow, all that in an hour...I felt like I was in "Dancing With the Stars." lol

MzShaunna, I'm so proud of you for not eating any sugar!!!!! That's huge!! Congrats to you! And I don't think the peanuts were that bad for you. The main thing is that you stopped after a little. :)

MrsSnark, I just realized you lost 60+ lbs. Wow, I'm impressed!! Congrats!

Mrs Snark
09-18-2013, 10:00 AM
Thanks Tyla! Zumba sounds awesome, I hope just getting out of bed this morning wasn't super challenging due to soreness!

Another great day for me yesterday, felt really good and normal. Tried on clothes in my closet for a while -- that always helps me stay focused, lol!

tyla
09-18-2013, 03:16 PM
Hi MrsSnark!! How did you do with wearing your old clothes? I've still got a ways to go (from just last year), before I can fit into clothes, that I looked good in. What a bummer!

I got major cramps in the middle of the night from Zumba. I don't know why?! I took another Zumba class some time ago, with a different instructor. No problems. But I guess pushing in too hard too fast isn't the way to go for me. I can walk, though! :yay: I will go back, however.

I thought I've been in control, binge-free for months. It's only been 10 days! :lol:

Mrs Snark
09-18-2013, 07:53 PM
Tyla -- I had fun trying things on, stuff I don't even recognize anymore it has been so long since I wore them, lol! Unfortunately I have "aged out" of alot of my skinny clothes, lol, oh well.

Sorry about the cramps, those stink. Hopefully that will be your one and only experience with zumba-induced cramps!

LisaTcan
09-19-2013, 11:13 AM
Hi everyone,

I've been having a hard time with binging (or mini binges) lately due to the stress of moving to a new city and being unemployed. I'd love you join you ladies for some support and to be more accountable :)

Lisa

tyla
09-19-2013, 11:19 AM
It's Thursday already! Tonight I teach my class, and I've been a little anxious this week, since I haven't taught in a while. Plus the classroom is different and the set up may be different. I hope everything turns out ok.

I've been eating healthy, because of this thread. I'm so happy I'm in control again, staying within my calorie range and exercising.

MrsSnark, you get to buy a whole new wardrobe! Fantastic! I just love that pic of you on the beach!

Welcome, Lisa! Glad you could join us! I know all about stress and stress-eating. Trying to stop that behavior, too. :)

thesame7lbs
09-19-2013, 02:44 PM
Tyla, I hope your class goes well! (I'm sure it will!!!)

Mrs. Snark, sometimes when I get back into my old clothes, they're just plain out of style. Always a bummer!

LisaT, new city + no job (and the resulting lack of structure) is definitely hard! Hang in there!

I'm struggling today not with the urge to binge so much as the urge to overeat. Maybe it's a fine line, and probably the latter will lead to the former. The scale was up again and I'm frustrated as anything. Boo! I just keep telling myself, if I give in, then I'l *really* be frustrated. Grr.

Mrs Snark
09-19-2013, 03:16 PM
Hey Lisa, welcome to the thread! Those are very stressful circumstances you are in, so hang in there!

Tyla, good luck tonight, I'm sure you'll do great! Being in control is such a nice feeling, isn't it? Congrats on all the hard work you're doing to stay on plan! :carrot:

7lbs, I have lots of out-of-style clothes as well -- but I hold on to them because everything comes back around again, so you never know! Hang in there, nothing is EVER improved by overeating or binging, NOTHING. Don't let the scale put the kibosh on your mojo, he is a fickle creature, best ignore when he isn't cooperating!

vintagecat
09-19-2013, 03:36 PM
Just a check in: I'm teetering on the edge of the teens at 220. In general that's a fairly low point for me, only reaching it twice in the past two decades. I'm practicing intuitive eating (I'll never diet again) and I'm having to remind myself to not only live in the moment at the table but to live in the moment and enjoy the body I have for today rather than anticipate the body I might have in the future.

Some people do well with visualization and motivators but I personally need to be careful with "the future" so as not to go into diet mode in my impatience to get 'er done. What I'm doing is working, slower than I'd like, but I'm also not tempted to stuff my face when stressed or bored.

I went to the tailor to have a few of my very favorite things cut down. I saw a large woman in the mirror (a very average largeness) not huge like I'm used to seeing. That's enough for today.

An affirmation from a recovering food addict, binge eater and serial dieter.

Binge free in September.

Cat

LisaTcan
09-19-2013, 04:13 PM
Thanks for all the welcoming posts! This seems like a great group. I did a Spin & Sculpt class today and now I'm super hungry I really had to resist stopping to get Frozen Yogurt on my way home, but I did it :)

@tyla what do you teach?? I used to teach music/drama

@thesame7lbs I definitely struggle with both overeating and binging, I hate binging way more.

Mrs Snark
09-19-2013, 04:25 PM
Hey vintagecat, thanks for sharing! Congratulations on the milestone you're about to cross, how wonderful!

Thanks for the reminder to enjoy the body (and the life) we have TODAY. That really is so important.

Binge free in September, whoo hoo!

Mrs Snark
09-20-2013, 01:00 PM
Happy Friday all, TGIF! Everyone ready for the weekend (and weekend challenges?).

Last night I had a planned martini with my dinner, and while I greatly enjoyed it, I ended up struggling mentally with not eating mindlessly later. So I think I will pass on any more alcohol this weekend. There are certain times of the month it just seems hard to keep the Snack Monster under control, and this is one of those times I fear.

I had an okay weekly weigh-in this morning, looking forward to a fun weekend. We went sailing at 6 am to watch the moonset and sun rise. It was gorgeous!

tyla
09-20-2013, 01:02 PM
Happy Friday, Everyone!!
I feel great today. I've lost a pound since I've started this adventure almost 2 weeks ago. :yay: And I can tell my belly is not as prominent. Plus I'm so happy my class is over. What a relief! :carrot: At first, things were a little disorganized at the school. They didn't put up a sign to tell people where the class was. So I had to round them up and show them where it was held. That was a little annoying. I was teaching a Psychology class about having more joy in our lives, so I couldn't really look too annoyed. lol But when everyone was situated, the class went really well. Thank you for all of your good wishes.

7lbs,, I hope you resisted the urge to eat. It's so hard when that stupid scale doesn't want to cooperate. I just hate that, because it's so frustrating!! But please be strong. Eating will only make it worse, and then cause depression. Stay strong. We're rooting you on! :cheer2:

Vintagecat, congrats on making another milestone! Weight loss plus inches lost! Kudos to you!! :congrat: What exactly is intuitive eating?

Lisa, wow, what an accomplishment to resist temptation!! That's huge! What is spin and sculpt? You are on your way to a binge-free September! :woohoo:

MrsSnark,, so what are you doing this weekend? Your pic on the beach always gives me motivation to exercise. Thank you! :thanks:

It's the weekend! Let's have a great one!

tyla
09-20-2013, 02:04 PM
MrsSnark, I must have been posting the same time as you. I just wanted to add that the sail you took this morning sounded fantastic! What a wonderful way to start your morning!! Talk about finding more joy in your life!! I can just picture the sunrise :sunny: and moonset!! Thank you for sharing.

Congrats on resisting the urge to snack last night! It's not always easy, but you did it!!! :bravo:

thesame7lbs
09-20-2013, 02:40 PM
Hello everyone!

It is so encouraging to come hear and read of everyone's successes. Dancing carrot for everyone on this Friday! :carrot:

VintageCat, reading your post was like wrapping up in a cozy blanket. Excellent food for thought (ugh! pun!), enjoying the bodies we have today.

Tyla, so glad your class went well after the initial chaos! I love the image of you trying to rein in frustration so you can teach about finding joy! :)

Mrs Snark, an early morning sail sounds heavenly. It must be so quiet and serene. Serious gratitude time, eh? I agree that even one drink erodes my resolve on food. For that reason, I have really reduced the number of days when I drink -- where I used to have a glass or two of wine a couple nights a week, now it's once a week at most, and usually reserved for social occasions or when I've cooked something really nice that just deserves a glass of wine.

I had an NSV yesterday and stayed within my calories despite my frustration. Took DS out to lunch (he is 4.5 yrs old and a fabulous lunch date) and really narrowly avoided cookie-related indulgences. Just knew I would stop at one. And all that perseverance paid off today -- whatever bumped me up yesterday came off today and I am down a lb.

tyla
09-21-2013, 08:25 AM
Good Morning, Everyone!
Just thought I'd check in to say that I'm having a good weekend so far. We went out to a Chinese Restaurant last night, and I did very well. Left the rice on the table and only ate a lunch portion of chicken and broccoli. Of course, today I feel the salt retention. lol

Hope everyone has a great, healthy weekend! :hug:

tyla
09-22-2013, 01:36 AM
I calculated my calories today, and found that I went over my 1200-1500 calorie range. Usually I feel bad, and that sends me into a downward spiral of overeating or bingeing. But that didn't happen this time. I realized that happened, so now I can move on. I'll make up for it during the week by eating less or exercising more. This is a huge deal for me! I am actually thinking and acting like a normal person, not fretting and punishing myself over it. I've progressed! :carrot:

Mrs Snark
09-22-2013, 01:21 PM
Tyla - going over your range now and then is no big thing, it all seems to even out with time! Good for you for circumventing the "death spiral" as I always think of it! So hard to break that pattern! YOU ROCK! :carrot:

I'm having a good weekend, out on the boat alot enjoying some nice weather!

Hope everyone is doing well!

tyla
09-23-2013, 03:22 PM
Happy Monday, Everyone! I love Mondays. It's a new week and another fresh start. If anyone that is struggling wants to join us, please feel free. We take it one day at a time. Have a great day! :hug:

Mrs Snark
09-23-2013, 06:35 PM
Yay for Mondays!

My kitchen is now closed. I was feeling snacky this evening so I ate my dinner with my fingers, lol. A big bag of sugar snap beans with garlic salt. Eating them one at a time with my fingers satisfied that urge for alot of hand-to-mouth snackage. And they were seriously delicious as well. Win!

tyla
09-24-2013, 11:43 AM
Did great yesterday. The weekend was a little harder than usual. But I made up for it by fasting yesterday. I am really proud of myself! I exercised by going for a long walk outside to make sure I got plenty of endorphins. So today I have a lot of things to do to keep my mind occupato, and I have my Zumba class tonight. I really look forward to that!

Here's to a great day!

thesame7lbs
09-24-2013, 11:58 AM
Hi everyone,

Tyla, I agree the weekends are harder. Do you fast often?

MrsSnark, I will have to try garlic salt on SSPeas. I love them!

I can't believe it's already Sept 24! In a week I will be binge-free for the month. What a great feeling!:carrot:

Mrs Snark
09-24-2013, 04:29 PM
So close to a whole month 7lbs, that is AWESOME!

Tyla, I can't fast as a response to overreating -- that has always set me up for a terrible binge/restrict pattern that never quite ends up working out in my favor over the course of several days. But that's just me, and I had to learn that the hard way over lots of years. I hope the fast works for you and you feel refreshed and reinvigorated moving forward!

tyla
09-24-2013, 05:17 PM
Just to let you all know, the one-day fast was something I wanted to try. I actually felt great doing it. The reason why I did it was to stop the cycle of allowing myself to overeat. I'm not making this a habit. I just wanted to prove to myself that I am stronger than I think. I feel great today, back to counting my calories and not tempted to overeat. No worries. :) Looks like we're going to make this a binge-free September! :carrot:

tyla
09-25-2013, 02:27 PM
Hi guys,
My zumba class last night was fantastic! I had so much fun. The good part was that the instructor told me that I was good, that I could keep up with all of her steps. That felt good, because I'm not much of an athlete. Not good at jogging, but love to dance.

This morning I have already done Pilates and walked a bit. Going to walk more this afternoon.

Hope everyone has a binge-free day. :hug:

thesame7lbs
09-25-2013, 05:35 PM
Tyla, just to clarify -- I wasn't judging or challenging your decision to fast. I know that totally works for some people. For me, it is a very compelling way to re-establish control after an off-plan day; unfortunately, my attempts at IF have led to bingeing, though of course, nothing occurs in a vacuum and it could have been any number of things (or combo of things) that triggered me.

I just read this article (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andrew-weil-md/fasting-health_b_1557043.html) the other day. I perceive Dr. Weil as someone who is level-headed and doesn't endorse trendy, risky, or extreme things, and he is positive on fasting.

I have never tried Zumba but can only imagine I would look really goofy doing it -- and I am pretty coordinated and athletic (except where golf is involved...)

Hope everyone's having a great day -- keep strong everyone!

tyla
09-26-2013, 12:47 PM
Happy Thursday! Wow, the week went by fast! I'm feeling good today. Did Pilates this morning. Now that I don't mind doing, and I feel great afterwards! Pilates is great, because it strengthens my core and makes me feel slimmer.

7lbs., thanks for the article by Dr. Weil. I will read it right after I post this. I've always like him.

September is almost over. Can you believe it?! Let's continue to do well.
Best of luck to everyone!

7lbs, I've just read Dr. Weil's article, and I completely agree with him. I feel better sleeping, have more energy and am more in control. Thank you for this information!

luzitania
09-27-2013, 12:04 PM
Hello ladies, I have a quick question for you: How much food do you need to eat for it to be classified as a "binge"? I realized that there are nights where i snapped and ate a pizza, a bag of chocolate turtles and a bag of m&ms in one sitting and those are what I considered my "binging episode". But what are the boundaries between eating, indulging and binging?:?:

tyla
09-27-2013, 01:51 PM
Hi Luzitania!

To me, that's considered a binge. There is a difference between just overeating and a binge-eating. According to Psychology Today, binge-eating is eating excessive amounts of food. It is feeling a loss of control while eating. You keep eating, even if you're full. Usually this happens with some kind of loss. Any emotion can trigger binge-eating. Being sad, upset, angry (due to an argument or mishap,) financial problems, being alone, bored, rejected, relationship problems, a death, divorce, etc. And the list goes on and on. Even if you have dieted (restricted yourself) for a long period of time can cause a binge. There are so many reasons people binge, usually it's emotional.

Overeating is merely just that. An extra piece of cake, more calories than usual, etc. But then you stop.

Luz, it takes one day at a time to stop this behavior. Come join us here on this thread. We are all trying to stop this habit. (Really, that's what it actually is.) Check in with us and tell us how your doing. :hug:

Does anyone else want to chime in? I may have missed something. Thanks.

As for me, I'm meeting my girlfriends for lunch next week, and I'm making this get together a strong enough reason to stay in control. Sometimes I need a little goal to help me stay stronger.

Good luck to all of us over the weekend! :goodluck: :hug:

Mrs Snark
09-28-2013, 12:37 PM
I pretty much agree with Tyla on what constitutes a binge. For me the line is when I feel out of control. I have had planned "over eating" in which I ate quite a lot -- much more than I do on a normal day, but I wasn't out of control.

On the other hand I've had binges where I ate uncooked linguine dipped in peanut butter (there were no crackers in the house) -- gross now, and gross then, but I was stuffing it down like there was no tomorrow . I couldn't stop.

I've been very sick this week and not eating much. I am starting to feel a bit better today and need to make sure I get enough healthy calories over the next few days so that I don't binge once my normal hunger catches up with me and the low calorie days I've been having due to being ill.

tyla
09-28-2013, 06:36 PM
MrsSnark! I'm so glad to see you! I'm so sorry that you were ill. I am sending you good thoughts that you stay strong mentally during this time. Remember, you've achieved so much to start blowing it. :cheer3: Take it from one who has blown it. You really regret it, and it wasn't worth it. :hug:

As you know, it's Saturday. Sometimes weekends are tough for me. I'm really trying to be on my best behavior today. But it's hard. I'm going to listen to my own words, that I've come to0 far to ruin it. I will be strong!

Primalgirl
09-28-2013, 07:35 PM
Hello everyone,

I'd like to join this thread,
There are 2 days left of September and I am promising myself that I will eat healthy and stay away from the refined carbs. When I feel the need to binge, I am going to drink 2 large glasses of water.

I read somewhere else to have only one day a week as a designated treat day, what do you think about that?

luzitania
09-28-2013, 08:54 PM
Thank you ladies. :) I will definitely join you as it has, as you said tyla, developed into a habit that I need to get rid of. Hopefully, I can make October binge-free. :carrot: If it wasn't for my "episodes", my weight loss journey would be going a lot better.

tyla
09-29-2013, 10:05 AM
Welcome, Primalgirl. Glad you could join us. Did you buy yourself yellow flowers like I mentioned? They only cost about $4 or $5 at a Albertson's or Trader Joe's. I mentioned that Rutgers University has done studies that buying and giving flowers gives you endorphins, and the color yellow brings you joy. So when you get the urge to spluge, drink water and go do something nice for yourself - like buying yellow flowers. I bought yellow roses at Trader Joe's for $4.99. I love them!

As for the planned treat once a week, it depends on how strong you are. I used to do that, but I feel it only led to overeating, and then bingeing. But if it's a special occasion, I plan for that. For me, I'm trying to stay away from sugar and other trigger foods right now until I lose a few more lbs. Besides, I've learned that sugary foods are very bad for you. There is a list of reasons not to eat sugar, that I posted on this thread somewhere. I try to find non sugary treats, like almonds. I love almonds, and I count them in my calories for the day. Or I'll eat a frozen banana, when I want ice cream. I try to keep one ready in the refrigerator. Hope this helps.

Anyone else want to comment on this? Maybe eating a treat once a week helps someone else?

tyla
09-29-2013, 10:25 AM
Luz, I'm so glad you're joining us. Come here often, and post how you are doing. We want you to succeed. Coming here helps you to read others successes. It gives you motivation to stay strong. Even if you mess up, post because we'll help you get back on track. We're here to help each other, too. We all get it.

thesame7lbs
09-29-2013, 11:56 AM
Hello, everyone!

Luzitania, your question is very timely for me, because I had an off-plan day yesterday. I keep telling myself, "It wasn't a binge, it was just overeating," but then I wonder if that's just semantics to make myself feel better. For me, there were a few things that mark it more as overeating: 1) I've been thinking about having an off-plan day to "shake things up," as I've been disappointed with my loss, 2) I didn't eat in secret, 3) I didn't eat all that much, it just felt like a lot after eating on a deficit for a month, and 4) I didn't eat beyond hunger or eat anything unusual.

That said, of course the scale was up today and now I feel worse. :( So I've planned my food for today and will get right back on track.

Primalgirl, welcome! Re: treat day, it works for some and not for others. I have a small treat pretty much every day -- like a skinny cow dessert or something. Some days I skip it, but I pretty much always plan for it within my calories. In the past, I've had success with eating on plan during the week but having a much more lenient Saturday, allowing for dinner out or a party.

Mrs. Snark, I'm sorry you've been sick -- hope you feel better soon!

Tyla, you're doing so well -- congrats! I think I will buy some yellow flowers today. I love having fresh flowers in the house.

vintagecat
09-29-2013, 02:55 PM
Hello binge warriors.

Binge free in September. Starting tomorrow we will be on the road for roughly a week leaving AK for warmer climes. Since I always lose weight on the ride out (even in my worst state of bingeing) I can say with some level of certainty that I'll be binge free. I made a daily healthy meal for the road that we can thaw and nuke as we go to avoid road eating. Chicken veggie soup, chili, tuna salad, snacking veggies.

My DH went out for coffee today and brought back a donut for each of us. Nothing I like better than donuts as far as crap foods go, especially the plain glazed old fashioned type, which he bought. It was good but it didn't call for more, more, more like it usually does.

We've had dark chocolate bars in the house for many days as well as cashews and no problems with them either. I made one pasta dish to use up fridge stuff for the road that really didn't look that desirous to me. Objectively it is definitely tasty but my wants have changed. I'll probably foist that off on DH while I eat the soup. Weird to write this.

I hope everyone does well. Checking out....

Cat

Mrs Snark
09-29-2013, 03:57 PM
Welcome Luz and Primalgirl! Let's all finish September strong and then embrace October binge free!

Primalgirl, I personally can't do designated treat days very often at all or it triggers a binge (which generally leads to multiple binges). Treat foods are just terrible triggers for me. I know some people can eat off-plan foods one day every week, but for me I can only do it for one meal (not a full day) every 3 or 4 months. And getting back on track the week following that planned treat day takes ALOT of willpower. A seriously, ridiculous amount of willpower. I do SO much better when I don't have sugar and simple carbs and junk in my system. I hate going through treat withdrawal, it always brings me down. I used to be very bitter about all this, but I seem to have made some peace with this truth this time around for me. I really, really want to maintain my weight loss (I've lost and gained many times, I want this to be the last).

I know more frequent treat days work for some people, though, and it may be worth experimenting with to see if it works for you. :)

Tyla -- thanks for the info on flowers, I think I'll get myself some next time I'm out!

thesame7lbs
09-30-2013, 01:09 AM
Tyla, I now have a vase of sunflowers in my kitchen :flow2:

thesame7lbs
09-30-2013, 03:14 PM
Ah, the last day of September! I don't know if I feel like I have a fresh, shiny month ahead of me or a gaping maw of temptation -- 4-day girls' weekend in NOLA, Halloween, etc...

I did have an NSV yesterday when I got right back on-plan after Saturday's overage, and I have today's food planned and logged so I'm feeling positive going forward as well. :cool:

Wishing everyone a good day and positive vibes!

tyla
09-30-2013, 03:51 PM
It's the last day of the month! I can't believe it is here already. And, in spite of a little self-sabotaging, I think we did great. I think we need to look at our accomplishments. And we made a lot this month!! Kudos for us for being here and trying. I hear so many people whining on other threads. Help me, help me. But they are not doing anything about it after we or others help. We are giving it our best shot! We are becoming free from our habits from the past. I'm so proud of all of us! :congrat: :bravo: :dancer:

7lbs., I am so happy that you bought sunflowers. You brought me joy! :D Thank you for your contributions.

MrsSnark, I'm so glad you're well again. Thank you for contributing here. :)

vintagecat, Congrats for being totally binge-free this month. Best of luck to you on your trip! :)

luzitania
09-30-2013, 07:40 PM
I agree tyla. Apart from a couple of self-sabotaging episodes later, the month was better than the ones I have had lately. I am starting to feel sick lately when I eat sugar.

tyla
09-30-2013, 11:11 PM
Luzitania, I'm so proud of you! Keep up the great work! Sugar makes me feel yucky, too.

Mrs Snark
10-01-2013, 03:09 PM
I had a great month, except for 1 day, which was yesterday when I had my first binge since mid-April. :(

I had a rough week last week, and I let it get on top of me yesterday afternoon, even though I was on guard, which is always hard to take later when you are thinking about it.

Anyway, I blogged a hugely long post about it, and about how I'm trying to recover from it and move forward, so I won't rehash it here, if anyone is interested they can read my post.

I will say that I am now looking forward to a binge-free October and I know I can do it! :)

tyla
10-01-2013, 04:06 PM
MrsSnark, you've accomplished a lot this month and throughout the year. Look how much you've lost! So glad you're here with us! :hug: