General chatter - New Critter In Da House (Trigger Warning: Snake Picture)

Garnet2727
09-08-2013, 10:37 PM
In my youth, I had a snake. I had to get rid of her due to some life circumstances and I've always felt a bit melancholy about it. I find handling a live snake to be very relaxing and pleasurable. My husband also had snakes in his youth. We have talked for years about getting a snake but I wasn't comfortable with the notion given how cool hubby keeps our house and the fact that I live in Michigan. Well, today, we went to a reptile show here in Lansing and I held a snake...

And I brought him home. He's a lovely, mellow ball python. We named him Skull because some of his markings look like aliens and skulls.

I know that snake phobia is a real thing so that's why I put the trigger warning in the title. Anyway, here's Skull peeking out of my husband's shirt pocket.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u32/Garnet2727/snakepocket_zps687b9da0.jpg (http://s164.photobucket.com/user/Garnet2727/media/snakepocket_zps687b9da0.jpg.html)

Ain't he purdy?

fairandfree
09-08-2013, 10:47 PM
Aw, he's a cutie!

Desiderata
09-08-2013, 11:21 PM
:lol: I imagined (from the title) that this was going to be a post about discovering an alarming 'intruder' that had surprised you. Did not expect it to be about the deliberate adoption of a pet. ;)

Good for you guys! I cannot comprehend in any way the idea of finding a slithering friend something desirable, but... different strokes! :D Hope you have many fun years with Skull.

IanG
09-08-2013, 11:31 PM
I'll be honest. With the trigger alert, if he were low calorie-high protein I'd eat him with my salad.

What have I become?

doingmybest
09-09-2013, 12:56 AM
I happen to love all creatures (I am still working on loving spiders however).
I know that it is easy to become emotionally attached.

I think your snake is very lucky to have you and your hubby for parents.

Enjoy your new family member!!!

SweetScrumptious
09-09-2013, 05:20 AM
Just a baby! He's cute :)

lanabug
09-09-2013, 03:11 PM
:lol: I imagined (from the title) that this was going to be a post about discovering an alarming 'intruder' that had surprised you. Did not expect it to be about the deliberate adoption of a pet. ;)

Lmao me too!! I think he's cute, congrats :)

Garnet2727
09-09-2013, 08:00 PM
Thanks, all! Hubby and I were talking this evening about the fact that we did everything wrong for the little guy yesterday. We handled him too much, we let him get too cold, we took forever getting his habitat set up. He was stressed! But we've got him in a good, warm habitat now with a nice hidey place and some water. He's a much happier snake.

Garnet2727
09-09-2013, 08:01 PM
I'll be honest. With the trigger alert, if he were low calorie-high protein I'd eat him with my salad.

What have I become?

LOL! You've become hungry! My guy is too small to eat but some of the bigger ones.... :dizzy:

bargoo
09-09-2013, 08:58 PM
Snakes as a pet in my house ! No Way !