Faith Based Support Groups - Christian Encouragers ~ SEPTEMBER 2013

Justwant2Bhealthy
09-03-2013, 10:20 PM
--------------------------------------

:angel: Welcome Friends :angel:
--------------------------------------

You've found a great place to come and vent, share or ask for prayer support.
This is a great group who will be very encouraging, caring and loving....
....anyone is welcome to join!

A Servant's Prayer --

Jesus, My Jesus....How marvelous are your ways....
Far more splendid than my mind can envision.
What an honor to be chosen by you.
A lowly child I am, but empowered by the Holy Spirit
to fulfill the great hope to which you have called me.
I give myself totally to you, Lord.
Take my imperfect heart and make it perfect.
Peel away the hardness.
Close the doors I have opened to the temptations of this world.
Gently remove the roots of painful memories, sins, doubts and fears.
Discard anything that separates me from you.
Lord, fill the emptiness with the light of your love that I might be a
beacon calling the lost back to you.

To love as you love.....
To serve as you serve.....
To forgive as you forgive.....
Always mindful of my nothingness while doing great
and marvelous things in your name and for your glory.
This I pray, Jesus, in YOUR name ...
Amen.

:angel:

================================================== =================

Shoot -- I just realized that we are well into September now (day 3); time for a new September thread. I guess fall is here everyone; the days are cooler but nice too. We had :rain: for a few days and finally some very welcome :sunny: with warmer temps today.

HAVE A SUPER SEPTEMBER EVERYONE ... :carrot:

Justwant2Bhealthy
09-03-2013, 10:25 PM
I just realized we are into day 3 of September, so I started this new thread and copied today's post into this thread too ...

CC -- congrats to you and your DH on your losses; that is fabulous!!! :carrot:

We finally got a break from all the :rain: today but I had lots to do indoors today. Maybe tomorrow I can do a bit of grass-cutting; we'll see if the weather is good and I have time. Hope so. Eating is going well; and I did some awesome walking, esp today with the beautiful weather -- went to the lake for awhile and then around a large loop and back home (really had to push myself but I made it). :D

Have an assessment worker coming tomorrow, so will go to bed earlier tonight; besides my feet are hurting a bit anyways. ;)

TamTam
09-04-2013, 02:50 PM
Got a phone call from my doctor yestersay, they are putting me on an evening dose of Metformin, my blood glucose is not way off but it is higher than it should be, hopefully with the weight coming off this will be a temporary thing. Have a blessed day. :hug: Tammy

ronni62
09-04-2013, 03:22 PM
Hello, everyone! I've been soooo busy the last couple weeks, so I didn't have time to get on here, but I've been praying for everyone. I get the e-mail updates on the threads so I knew what to pray for.

It's been quite a couple weeks...garden in producing like you wouldn't believe and I've been freezing my tomato/vegetable puree, plus, I have tons of green beans! Wondering if anyone here has tried freezing green beans? I've always canned them, but the last few years, we didn't have enough to bother with that, so my canner hasn't been used in quite a while and I need to have the pressure gauge checked, so I was just wondering if freezing the beans makes them taste funny?

I also need to freeze some of the summer squash, because there's just tooooo much for me to eat by myself and I've been giving it to anyone who'll take some-lol!

I spent several days getting stuff together for a yard sale at my mom's this past weekend and we got rid of a bunch of stuff! Made about $185, which is really good for this area, and then took all the remaining items to a local charity. And....I got rid of ALL my fat clothes! Not keeping them around & not going back there ever again!! Now, I'm realizing that I'm going to need some warm shirts for winter, plus a coat, but I'm waiting for now, because I bought some items early in the spring for summer & they were too big by June, which is a :carrot: but also a :( because I don't have THAT much money to buy clothes:lol:

DS3 had his first season football game and they won, plus he got quite a bit of play time. Then, I won the raffle for the football that all the players signed for raffling off to raise money! I've bought those raffle tickets every home game for 5 years and this is the first thing I've won! Hoping it's a sign of a good season ahead:D

Well, I'm just rattling on and on, so I should go get something more accomplished. Tomatoes are cooking right now for freezing, so must go check on that. Take care & have a blessed day!

Justwant2Bhealthy
09-04-2013, 09:23 PM
RONNI -- I have successfully frozen green and yellow beans for years. I don't even blanch them; I just wash them in lukewarm water, then pat them dry in a clean tea towel. Then I put them in those blue freezer bags and freeze them. I haven't noticed any difference in the flavor at all.

As for zucchini/summer squash -- I used to cut it up into small cubes to put into sauces and soups; and put them into small plastic containers in the freezer.

TamTam
09-07-2013, 09:07 AM
Hubby and I are each down 1.5 lbs. this week!!! So very excited. Have a blessed day all!

bargoo
09-07-2013, 10:38 AM
Hubby and I are each down 1.5 lbs. this week!!! So very excited. Have a blessed day all!

Congratulations, you are doing great.

Justwant2Bhealthy
09-07-2013, 07:11 PM
Well, my first week of September has gone well eating-wise, and my walks have been superb. I bought a new battery-operated lawnmower and it works great. I used some savings and paid cash while it was on sale. We met a lady that let us try hers last week and were blessed that they had one left in stock. It is so easy to use; no gas or oil; and no breaking your arm or straining your back & shoulder trying to pull the cord. It is just push button start -- so great.

We decided to go this route becuz our gas one refused to start for us again; and that was just too frustrating. Here we were paying out to get someone else to use our mower and now have to send it out to be repaired again and the warranty is over. To me, it was better to buy one we can actually handle easily ourselves; and put that money into it instead. This one has a 4 year warranty on the mower itself (2 more years than the other one); and 2 years on the batteries (replacement).

I think it will pay for itself in one summer. I have cut twice with it already; finishing off the yard early this am before it rained on us. Plus I can use this one more often; we used to use the other one less becuz it was so hard to start and kept quitting on us at least twice every time we used it (and you would have to wait to use it again). So I pray that our investment lasts as long as they say. The store says that they have never had one returned yet, so that is very good news.

MORE GOOD NEWS: we had some work done on the house and got a good price for that as well; PRZ GOD -- another blessing for us. AND, the Red Cross nurse came and she was lovely; we actually knew her and she did a great job (and DH liked her too and that is always good).

However, our furnace guy says that we need to get a new furnace and hot water tank in this year becuz of new regulations and codes. I kinda expected this but had hoped that we would have a few years to save up most of the cost. I have been comparing costs of furnaces this afternoon, and his price for them both and installation is fair. He is a long-time acquaintance of DH's and has guaranteed his quote as well. That is supposed to be done in two weeks; so we pray that goes well. We will pull in our belts to get that paid off asap. One big positive is that it will bring up the value of our place too.

Hope you are all having a good week too ... :D

Justwant2Bhealthy
09-09-2013, 09:55 PM
WELL, the furnace guys decided to come early -- today, in fact. Surprise, Surprise! The furnace is almost done and they'll work on the hot water tank tomorrow. WE had another lovely surprise tonight -- MY DAD & Stepmother, GRACE are here for a visit. It was so nice to see them. The long ride was a little rough on them both, but they made it; and they both look really good.

My DAD looks great; a little thinner but still healthy looking yet. His surgery was cancelled (it was the 13th) and postponed until the 27th of this month so they decided to come up and see us all before that. I was so glad to see them; THANKS FOR YOUR PRAYERS EVERYONE!!!

Our day was busy but good; THANK YOU, GOD!

Deana509
09-09-2013, 10:04 PM
Glad to see this page!
In all seriousness though, a little rant... My best friend is getting married in January, and I am her MOH.... She keeps bugging me to order my dress, and has offered to come do the measurements for me, but I dont know how to tell her that I am going on a diet, and will not be the same size by the time her wedding comes around.. Im in such a dilemma because I dont even know what to do about it, even if she does know about it.... Any ideas?

Justwant2Bhealthy
09-09-2013, 10:24 PM
:welcome: DEANA -- you know, January is not really that far away (only four months) so I would go ahead with the fitting. At most, you may have to do a little nip & tuck just the week before the wedding. So I wouldn't worry about mentioning the diet thing at all (unless you want to mention it). Does that help?

Deana509
09-09-2013, 10:38 PM
Well, the only problem is that Im doing the Ideal Protein Diet, and from what I have been told is that I will lose probrobably at least a size by january, so Im just worried the dress wont fit and we'll be stuck.... but I am probably just going to try to conince her to choose an A Line dress so it is easy to alter...

bargoo
09-10-2013, 12:34 AM
Glad to see this page!
In all seriousness though, a little rant... My best friend is getting married in January, and I am her MOH.... She keeps bugging me to order my dress, and has offered to come do the measurements for me, but I dont know how to tell her that I am going on a diet, and will not be the same size by the time her wedding comes around.. Im in such a dilemma because I dont even know what to do about it, even if she does know about it.... Any ideas?

Why not tell her the truth ?

triumph100
09-11-2013, 12:38 PM
:Hi I am new here and have never used a support forum like this before. I am a Christian (catholic) woman and think I could find some comfort and support here on this site.
I have just joined WW (again) UGH and am looking forward to hopefully loosing weight and feeling better.

Hope you all have a great day !

bargoo
09-11-2013, 02:26 PM
:Hi I am new here and have never used a support forum like this before. I am a Christian (catholic) woman and think I could find some comfort and support here on this site.
I have just joined WW (again) UGH and am looking forward to hopefully loosing weight and feeling better.

Hope you all have a great day !

Welcome and good luck !

ronni62
09-11-2013, 09:14 PM
Welcome to Deana and Triumph! Glad you've found our thread!

It's been a long week already and it's only half over! Took DS3 to his ortho doc at Mayo yesterday for knee issues. Can't remember if I shared this, but his PT thought he might have a torn meniscus. Fortunately, the meniscus is ok. There is a crack in the cartilage around the kneecap and his kneecaps are very high (we knew this before because both boys got it from me) which predisposes them to knee injuries and kneecap dislocation. But, the good news is that the ortho surgeon believes the cartilage may heal on its own and, since DS3 can still run and play football with little to no pain (at this time), she wants to wait to do any kind of surgery. We are to call her if he has any other pain or trouble, though. His low back issue (spondylolysis with spondilolysthesis) has stabilized and shows NO change or further movement!! Such a good report! We took him to Red Lobster to celebrate afterward!

I know God deserves all the credit for keeping DS3's injuries from becoming debilitating!

Along with that, DS3's 17th birthday is tomorrow, so I was shopping today to see if I could find him something he'd like. It's hard to buy for teen boys, but I found a couple items he should like:D

Well, must go get ready for bed. Hope you all have a great tomorrow!

Justwant2Bhealthy
09-11-2013, 09:25 PM
:welcome3: TRIUMPH -- lots of people have had great success with the WW program. Glad to have you join us over here; the more the merrier, I say ... :D

The furnace guys surprised us and came 2 weeks early; they installed the new furnace and hot water tank in only 1.5 days. Wow -- I hope that means we saved some more $$$. ;) They also recommended their own electrician to me for a future job that will save K's off the estimated price. GOD BLESS them for that, and GOD BLESS our bank and our financial advisor too, as they are helping us with this purchase. We will be a bit more frugal so that we can pay it off asap.

We had a good, busy day. Wednesday is my bath day and I clean my washroom well on this day as well. Plus I did my laundry and changed the linens on my bed, etc. Eating has been good too; I made a soup for lunch with leftovers from our last turkey dinner, and then made spagettini with a homemade veggie-filled sauce for dinner tonight.

I was able to get out for my walk tonight; although I was a bit sore, I made it back home OK. A really nice police officer offered to give me a ride home when he saw me take a shortcut; he correctly realized that I was getting tired. I went a little further than I thought I had; but I thanked him and told him that I was very close to home (which I was). GOD BLESS him for his concern and kind offer though; nice to know I could count on them if I needed them. I'd hate to fall flat on my face from exhaustion; what a dilemma that would create ... :lol: I'll be more careful next time when going a new route; and will take more breaks as I go along as well.

triumph100
09-12-2013, 10:34 AM
So I went last week and joined WW (again) as I said in my previous note. I have done terrible this week. It took me 3 days to even attempt the diet. Then I started off great at breakfast and lunch, then **lookout** after dinner I ate sooooo bad. I ate poptarts bought for my grandson, cheese its and on and on..... I NEED to go today to WW but I think I am going to have to drag myself there. UGH

triumph100
09-12-2013, 04:32 PM
Hmm... I tried posting this morning before I went to my first weigh in at WW. I had mentioned that it took me several days before I even was able to start the WW, then I did well until around 3 and did terrible UGH..
I went and did go up by only .4, but still. So after some consideration because I stopped tracking after I went crazy with food, this week I must track EVERYTHING no matter what. Please say a prayer I can stick to this.
Thank you, Blessings

Deana509
09-12-2013, 08:26 PM
Officially starting my program tomorrow! And I get to see my best friend, and sit down and talk about my program with her, and we get to work out her wedding plans!

God bless!

Justwant2Bhealthy
09-12-2013, 11:28 PM
RONNI -- that's great news for sure; and yes, we will THANK & PRAIZE GOD that he is doing so well. Hope he has a wonderful 17th birthday; boy, they are sure growing up fast eh?

We had a busy day cleaning the basement, but we got about 1/2 done. I still have vacuuming to do, garbage to go out, recycle stuff to put out, and more cleaning to do. This is a big job and will take awhile; as it was we were down there 2-3 hours at least. I am kind of glad we waited til all the work was done but that one worker cleaned up pretty darned good for a guy; GOD BLESS HIM FOR THAT.

I was a bit upset that our electrician tore down more than half our ceiling just for two lights but we salvaged some of the boards and may be able to hang some back up later on. THANKFULLY, we have a new company lined up that sounds like they may be better.

Well, I found out where all our rebates went -- the PGT Rep had them sent to her in an account down south. I reminded her that half of that money is mine. She says she will send some to me but I wanted to use that money to help pay for our furnace. I was miffed that she took that money without telling us about it and she has piled some up in the account. I asked her why she was holding some of "OUR" money and she claimed that she was trying to save us up a little nestegg. We don't need her to save us a nestegg, we need the money to pay for our bills and food now.

I wasn't very happy after talking to her and found out she was holding some of my money too; she has no right to do that. She was only supposed to be managing his money not mine, and only temporarily at that. She said there was no reason why I shouldn't get the guardianship; but it will take some time to process -- I already knew that. There was no reason for them to manage it in the first place, as we were doing fine without them.

I was surprised she redirected my bank statement to herself without telling me she was going to do that; she claimed she needed to see them. I was wondering what happened to them. So she was redirecting some of our mail as well, which shocked me even more. I cannot believe some of the things they are doing. I could have sent her copies; but she didn't even bother to ask me for that. This is very heavy-handed what they are doing; and I think this should be illegal (and it may very be already).

So I continue to TRUST GOD to keep things under control -- and we will go on and live our lives with contentment anyways. We have met some nice people; and some that confuse us this year, so we are praying for them all. May GOD fill all of our lives with His Love and Peace and Joy.

triumph100
09-13-2013, 01:16 PM
Thanks you all for your wonderful welcome. I am a bit puzzled though and hope you can help me. UGH
It seems I cannot see my last posting? am I doing something wrong??

triumph100
09-13-2013, 01:22 PM
Hi and Forget what I just posted, now I see my last posts?!?

happy I did well yesterday. Thinking I need to go to WW more than once a week. I think if I fall off wagon, that is a plan for me :)
Hope you are all well today. I think it is cooler out today so I plan to do a walk. That should help me
Tonight I aging to chuch so will probably eat out after, wish me luck!

ronni62
09-13-2013, 04:29 PM
Hi, everyone! Our busy week is winding down. Football tonight, of course, plus it's homecoming so there will be a LOT of people there. DS3's going to the dance tomorrow evening and he asked a girl to go with him. They're going with a group, so we're not too worried, plus he knows he belongs to Christ, so I don't think he'll be talked into anything. He has to be home (off the roads) by 12:30 am anyway because he hasn't had time to go get a 17yo license yet, plus we just haven't ever let the kids just stay out till whenever. We're apparently the 'strictest parents in the county' ;)

Next week, I'm in charge of the Thursday evening football player dinner. I'm making bbq pulled chicken, which surprisingly, is cheaper than anything with ground beef right now. I just have to figure out how to get about 50 pounds of chicken breasts cooked and pulled apart at one time. We're using our church's kitchen and there are roasters there, but I don't know if the chicken will turn out the same in a roaster as in my crock pot, which is how I make it at home. I'm thinking about starting on Monday and making a pot-full a day until Thursday and then just mix the bbq with it in the roaster at the church. Plus, 5 other moms are making cheese potatoes, bars, fruit, and green beans. It's always a rush, but the boys love these dinners. The next week, I have to take fruit to that dinner, but I only have to be in charge of one of them, so there won't be as much pressure:crazy:

Needing to get in the garden again-I can see lots of red tomatoes from my kitchen window! I'm thinking tomorrow I can pick and freeze them again. Plus, many green beans to freeze yet.

Not much else going on. Eating has been ok-kinda stalled on the weight loss, but my clothes are getting looser again, so things must be toning a bit. Even our pastor's wife said it looked like I'd lost quite a bit in the last couple weeks, but I know that scale hasn't budged in a month or so. Trying a new plan-we'll see how that goes.

Well, you all take care and have a great weekend!:hug:

Justwant2Bhealthy
09-15-2013, 07:34 PM
RONNI -- lotsa work there for that dinner, but they all appreciate it so much; may GOD bless you for it. You know, you can freeze those tomatoes and make sauce out of them later on. An Italian lady taught me that so I wouldn't waste any ripe tomatoes: she would just wash & dry them with a tea towel, then place them whole in the freezer until they are like frozen balls. Then you put them into bags and can use them in sauces and soups and stews. I have been doing this for years.

We have been very busy here doing lots of stuff around the house as I mentioned earlier. This weekend we took advantage of the lower hydro and did all our laundry and some baking (I made pumpkin pie today). We had ham and scallop potatoes for dinner with beans, carrots, and corn.

Saturday was gorgeous so we spent more time outdoors; we cleaned the back yard, the shed, and the back porch. Then I got out my battery weed-whacker and trimmed all the grass all around the house and shed. I was sure tired after that and my arms felt like lead weights but I was glad that I was able to finish it all with only using one battery. I've recharged them all on the weekend to save money too.

I have been doing great on my eating and walking; will go for a short walk right after this message. DH is watching a good old classic movie about nuns and laughing his head off; so he is contented tonight. Hope you are all well; take good care and have a great week coming up ... :hug:

triumph100
09-15-2013, 09:56 PM
wow Ronnie and rosebud. I am impressed with how much you did this weekend. :)
I did go and visit my dad and then my mo in law in nursing home, and did church but not half as much as you ladies. must be all the weight you two have lost has given you tons of energy! I hope to be there one day

bargoo
09-16-2013, 02:03 PM
Rosebud, wish I could do as good as you on eating, chemo is kicking me in the butt food wise. I have lost a lot of weight. A bite or two of food and I am done, I do try but it just isn.t working . DS and DIL took me grocery shopping yesterday and I got sick in the store, This morning I thought I would have some soup to get some calories, just opening the can made me sick.

Justwant2Bhealthy
09-16-2013, 02:39 PM
BARGOO -- are they not giving you gravol and other meds for the nausea? Once my DAD started taking them, he was able to eat again. You have to take them up to 3-6 hours before you start the chemo round and up to 3 days afterwards too. I know the steroids made me gain weight, but the gravol didn't and they helped when the steroids wore off (like in the middle of the night).

I found a few sections of orange helped me best; not sure why they actually helped but they always did. I know, the chemo can sure make you feel queasy. You may have to experiment to find out what foods you can keep down. DH & I had a stomach bug lately that has been going around town; and it feels almost the same AFTER you eat, that is. Then you feel yucky and queasy. So far, I haven't chucked anything, thank goodness.

Big ^Prayers^ going up for you, my friend ... :hug:

EDIT2ADD: I looked up the meds they gave me for nausea -- they were DEXAMETHASONE 8 mg per tablet and I would take 2 tablets, 2 times, the day before the chemo (12 & 6 hours before). Then they gave us more through the intravenous the day of the chemo. Then I took 2 tablets daily for 3 days after the chemo. They really worked well.

On the occasions where the Dexamethasone had worn off (esp during the middle of the night), we had PROCHLORPERAZINE MALEATE TABLETS (10 mg each) to take for nausea. These were a kind of gravol pill and they worked well too. I also checked my notes and they recommended focusing on protein foods when you feel nauseated and need some quick energy.

bargoo
09-17-2013, 10:50 AM
Rosebud , That's what fiends are for , to remind you of things you should already know. When I started radiation they gave me anti nausea pills but I quit taking them when I was done with radiation. Dumb ! Thanks for reminding me I have started taking them again, Interesting about the orange slices, one thing I can drink and keep down is tomato juice, Do you suppose it is the acid in tomatoes and oranges that is agreeing with us ? The only problem is the are very low calorie,

ronni62
09-18-2013, 09:51 AM
Hello, everyone! Very tired today-it's been another busy week again. Doctor appts, plus, apparently, my SIBO infection has come back, so I'm just wiped out. Working on making pulled chicken (55 pounds!!!) for DS3's football dinner on Thursday. I'm making it in 10 - 15 pound batches in crock pots (thanks to my neighbor for loaning me one of hers to use also!). Also found out that, apparently, many of us with gluten intolerance also can not eat oats, even if they are certified g-f. I've been messed up for a couple weeks because I was trying a new eating plan which, of course, included oatmeal for breakfast. I wish it was a bit easier to find good information on what's safe and what's not. There's a lot of info out there, but it's hard to know if they know what they're talking about at all. Oh, well.........

Bargoo-prayers for your nausea to go away and for you to be able to eat. I don't know anything about chemo and cancers, but when my dad was having radiation treatments (his cancer was in his throat, though), he found that stopping for a milkshake right after the radiation did wonders for his pain and nausea. Potatoes are sometimes good for nausea too, but I know that I really don't know about this kind of nausea-closest I've come was the 24/7 'morning' sickness I had for 6 months with each boy. Watermelon and strawberries were the only things I could eat for a while with DS3 and only teeny bits of them. I'm praying for you!:hug:

Hope you all are having a good week. I'll be back later-must go start more chicken!

Justwant2Bhealthy
09-19-2013, 08:52 PM
Interesting about the orange slices, one thing I can drink and keep down is tomato juice, Do you suppose it is the acid in tomatoes and oranges that is agreeing with us ? The only problem is the are very low calorie ...

BARGOO -- that could be ... I just know that they worked for me. Yes, they are low calorie that is why I suggested to try some proteins (small amounts at first) to see what you can keep down. My notes told us to focus on them as they were higher in calories.

Also, I recall RONNI telling us that her DAD or FIL said that he found KFC was the best thing for him to eat. One of the fellows in our group said that he would go out and have a big mac after each chemo session; and that helped him keep his weight up and he felt fine. I think it is a trial & error thing, as my DAD found ice cream the best for him. He would go out and buy 3 or 4 of his favorite kinds and ate them around the clock. Sending up more prayers that your anti-nausea pills will work for you and that you will find foods that you can keep down.

We've been keeping busy around here. I cut my lawn yesterday becuz it was gorgeous outside and they were forecasting :rain: for the weekend. The pain in my side had finally subsided. I was concerned something was wrong but the nurse that came by the house suggested that I do nothing (meaning no work at all for a couple of days. Sure enuff it was much better. So I have to be more careful with the weed-whacking and lawn work so I don't aggravate this old injury. I hope that is what the problem really was.

Eating has been good; and I have been going out for my walks. The weather was lovely again today (even though they expected otherwise); but it clouded over and cooled down after dinner. I still went for my walk and it didn't :rain: after all -- however, that may show up sometime during the night, I'd bet.

Today, I just did light stuff around here; some hand-clipping and sorting and such. Trying to be more careful to not hurt myself. The days are flying by and things are a bit quieter around here for good reason. I prayed and prayed about how to solve an ongoing problem and am thankful that I am finally seeing some progress in that area. Our summer was almost ruined by this situation, but I am so glad that we have some peace around here again. Now, if I can just keep DH on board with me, we'll be fine (it's hard when his memory is so bad; I have to remind him daily).

RONNI -- hope your dinner went well tonight; and that you sort out your intolerance issues too.

ronni62
09-20-2013, 08:33 AM
Rosebud-yes, the dinner went well! I had made too much of the bbq pulled chicken, but better too much than not enough. Putting it in the freezer for later. Might need it for a dinner before a play-off game or something, plus, I'm going to give some to our neighbor who let me borrow an extra crock pot to get it all cooked:) Keeping you and your DH and family in my prayers. God has you all in His hands. Can't believe you remembered that about the KFC! Yes, it was my FIL-he could always eat the cole slaw even through the chemo!

Today, have to take DS3 to school and do some grocery shopping. We had to take away some privileges from him, as he kept pushing the limit on being home on time-5 minutes late, 30 minutes late, out after the time allowed for his restricted driver's license, so we're taking his truck away for a few days. Don't know where this behavior is coming from, but we keep hearing that old line, "Everybody else gets to stay out till 1 or 2 am, so why can't I?" I'd like to speak to these parents who are letting their kids stay out that late on school nights, but, for some reason, he never has names to tell me who I can call;)

Oh, well....going to have to get moving here or nothing will get done. I did get another 5 qts of tomato puree cooked down and frozen yesterday before heading to town to prep for the dinner, but, then, our van broke down and I had to have DH come get me at the store to take me to the church:rolleyes: He figured out that it needs an alternator, so that's one of my errands today-find an alternator.....someday soon, we'll be getting rid of this van...

Well, hope you all have a great day! Hoping if it rains, it's God's blessings coming down all over you all!

Justwant2Bhealthy
09-20-2013, 08:47 PM
"Everybody else gets to stay out till 1 or 2 am, so why can't I?" I'd like to speak to these parents who are letting their kids stay out that late on school nights, but, for some reason, he never has names to tell me who I can call ...

RONNI -- :lol: that old line is still going strong with each generation but the times are a changing! There is no way MOST parents are letting there teens stay out that late on weekdays; if those kids are out that late, they either don't have any parents at home (maybe working), or more likely they are defying their curfews too; or sneaking in and out of the house.

Weekdays, we always had to be in BEFORE midnight: it was 10 pm (16/17) & 11 pm (18/19) at the latest. It went up with age -- I think it was 8 pm for 13 and under; 9 pm for 14/15 years old. Does he not have any homework to do? We had to come in at those times to make sure our homework and house-chores were done each day. We could only stay out later if they were with us, or on special occasions (like your sports dinner), or if we were working.

On the weekends, we could stay out later, but they had to know where we were; when we were coming home; and how we were getting home. I thought my parents were quite fair; as my friends always had to be in before us. We could stay overnight somewhere only if we called before midnight to get permission first. After 16, they were more lenient on the weekends; as in those days, people were considered almost adults at that age, but we usually came home by midnight anyways.

My wise mother used to say, "There's nothing that you want to do between midnight and 6 am, that you cannot do between 6 pm and midnight; so be home by midnight or else!" :lol:

It is funny to note that as you get older, you want to get home sooner not later. You can't wait to get home and get to bed; at least that is how we are. I think back and laugh about how we thought about those things when we were young. We were so sure that we were going to miss something ... :D

I washed our floors today with my new squeegee mop and it works really well on both the laminate and tile floors. That is a tiring job though, so I rested for the rest of afternoon. We had pizza for dinner (nice & easy), then I went out for a good walk to wear some of that off (I only eat half the crust anyways). The :rain: held off for me for the whole time I was out walking so I was glad for that. Hope you all have a wonderful weekend out there; and prayers continue as always ... :hug:

triumph100
09-21-2013, 11:29 AM
Good Morning.
Prays sent your way for all our good health :)
I am happy to say that I went to my WW meeting and had lost 3 pound. Yeah. I could have done much better if I had tracked my points for more than 4 days and then got lazy. UGH A lesson I will try to learn from.
Having a birthday celebration in my house tomorrow, so am trying to plan what to eat that will be fun and on plan. I would love one day to say that I am in ONEDERLAND but I have much work to do to get there.
I read your articles and inspired and know I can do this if I only put my mind to it. and not my mouth LOL Hope you all have a wonderful and blessed weekend. till then, Patti

Justwant2Bhealthy
09-22-2013, 05:50 PM
:congrat: PATTI -- 3 lbs is fabulous to me! Take it, girl!!! I was in onederland for about a few months, then gained from those stupid steroids. If I had known earlier, I would have asked them to change them to something else. I was thrilled with how well they worked though, so there was a positive trade-off. So, I have to work a bit harder over the new few years to shed some of that. I can tell by my clothes that I have lost some inches and a bit of weight; hey, I am glad to lose anything at this point.

We had an early dinner of turkey stew with dumplings (using leftover turkey); that was nice on a cool, fall day, and not too heavy either. We had a lovely visit from my Aunt this afternoon; always enjoy her visits. DH came back from his walk, and joined us in a good, long prayer for protection and GOD's blessings of His love and grace and guidance in our lives. That was so nice ...

Hope you all have a wonderful week coming up; the weather people are forecasting for some :sunny: and warmer temps for this week so that will be nice if they are right ... :hug:

Justwant2Bhealthy
09-24-2013, 08:17 PM
HI EVERYONE -- we've had some :sunny: and warmer temps the last two days; today, it felt like summer, so we spent some time outdoors as well. We also sorted a few more boxes in the new part of our basement; should have that finished the next time we are down there. I didn`t want to overdo it like last time, so we stopped at dinnertime.

Eating has been going well; and I have been doing my walking faithfully. One night, I felt so good I made it all the way to our Community Complex; I walked around in there taking in the sights, then headed back home. The last two nights, I just varied a shorter route as that one was very, very long and I could only do that on occasions when I feel no pain at all. Tonight, I went to a park and there were lots of Dads out there with their kids; that is so nice to see. I met a lot of people that I knew along the way and chatted just a bit. Tried to make sure I got home on time so DH doesn`t worry, but he was OK with his angel stories that I put on before I left.

A couple of nice ladies offered to take me for coffee but I had just eaten dinner and was stuffed. I actually try not to drink coffee at night as it keeps me awake; and it counters DH`s meds so we have something else. I usually have coffee only in the morning, tea in the afternoon, and just drink water at night. On occasion, like when it`s really cold out, I may have a chocolate drink (half ovaltine) mid-evening. I have been going to bed earlier lately to help my muscles rest more. I took our fleece blankets out of storage too; oh how I love those: so toasty and warm. :)

Justwant2Bhealthy
09-25-2013, 08:32 PM
We had another beautiful day today; it was 20 C all day (the same as yesterday), and it felt like summer. We are finally getting some nice weather after all. We spent some time outdoors of course, then in the late afternoon we went back down into the dungeon ;) and got the whole new section cleaned out in 1.5 hours (the rest of it, that is). We cleaned out the closet under the stairs and put all our Christmas decos in there; that will be much more handy for sure.

Then we had some time left so we moved the last bits to the storage side of the basement. I was so elated to get all that done today ... HALLELUJAH!!! And the repair guy came and turned our hot water down for us; it was set at 140 F -- way too hot for us. He turned it down to 110 F for us; that should be good.

I was tired, so we had a micro-dinner tonight: I had cabbage rolls and DH had salisbury steak dinner. They are great in a pinch, esp when you are tired and sore. We had fish & homefries, and salad for me last night. I was singing Glory, Hallelujah -- coming home, on the back stretch of my walk, after dinner tonight.

I varied my route again through a park and the soccer fields, but the skitters were bad tonight so I was glad to get back home. DH was still entranced in his Moby Dick movie so that was fab. We had a lovely sunset tonight so I sat on the deck for a while with my furry baby until it was dark.

Tomorrow we are booked to run some errands, so hope that all turns out good too; hope to get them all done and pick up a few things we are out of at the same time. Have a good one ... :flow2:

triumph100
09-27-2013, 10:05 AM
Hi all!
Thanks for the congrats on the 3 lbs Rosebud. I must say thought that I went to WW (after birthday party and really bad eating week) and put on 2.8 boo. oh well I am .2 down from where I was and determined to keep tracking this week. That's what really keeps me in line. I know you can get back to onederland, just remember how good it felt. :) Steroids are truly a blessing / and a curse. Today I am driving (about 2 hrs) to visit my Dad. It is always such a sad trip because my Mom died a few months ago, and Dad is so lost now. He was her caregiver (she was wheel chair bound with MS for over 20 years) and he is like a lost soul now. I try to get up to see him every week or so and I still cry when I leave. I will check in with you later. Hope you all have a wonderful blessed day.
Patti

Justwant2Bhealthy
09-27-2013, 09:34 PM
PATTI -- feel so sad for your DAD & YOU; will send up some prayers for him for comfort and peace. This is such a hard time for him esp since they were so close and he cared for her so much. That's what real love is, isn't it? Taking care of your loved ones, no matter what. I am sure there were times that were hard, but he still did it anyways.

You know that reminded me of our wedding vows: my sister and I were talking about this kind of love last night, and I was talking to DH about our vows just tonight at dinner. That some people don't really know what real love is; their love is so conditional. I will love you if you do what I say; I will love you if you are perfect; I will love you if you don't get sick; I will love you if I get my way; I will love you if you agree with me; I will love you if you don't stress me; I will love you if you give me what I want; and I could go on and on and on forever. NO -- that's not real love; that selfish-love.

It's interesting to look back now and recall that our vows were totally about what real love was. That is -- to love someone just as they are; to love someone whether they deserve it or not; to love someone even when they do you wrong again and again and again; to love someone with all their flaws and imperfections; to love someone in the good times and the hard times; in the tight times and blessed times; in sickness and good health times; to love them when no-one else will; to love them when everyone else gives up on them; to love them when they make mistake after mistake after mistake, each and every day; to love them enuff to take care of them when it's not fun, when it's hard, when you are at the end our your rope; to love them and care for them, day in and day out, just becuz ... :love:

That's the kind of love GOD wants us to have (that HE has for us); and the kind of love your DAD had for your mom (GOD BLESS HIM). I have sure learned this through DH's illness (his Alzheimers, etc); obviously, GOD knew what was coming up the road. ;)

bargoo
09-28-2013, 04:57 PM
My telephone rang yesterday, it was DS 1 and 2 they said we are at Safeway what can we get you ?The Safeway they were at was about an hour from where they live, They just went to the store to see if they could do something for their Mom. God has blessed me with two wonderful sons.

Justwant2Bhealthy
09-28-2013, 07:44 PM
BARGOO -- that was so nice of your sons to do that for you; thinking of you and your happiness just becuz they love you and they care (GOD BLESS THEM) ... :hug:

We had a good day; we finished off the work we wanted to get done in the basement. It only took us one hour; so we got it done way sooner than I expected. Then I did 3 loads of laundry and hung them outdoors to dry. We had beautiful weather again today; it actually got quite :hot: out there -- I think it was 78 F here. We spent most of the day outside since it was so nice.

Managed to get my walks in too; it had cooled down after dinner and there was a good breeze as well. I think that is how the clothes dried so fast; between the hotter temps and the wind. So tomorrow I just have one load to do: DH's clothes, and I'm all caught up. Will take it easy except for making dinner. It is supposed to be nice; hope they are right. :D

triumph100
10-01-2013, 09:27 PM
Rosebud thanks for your kind words :). I must tell you that I your prayers really helped! My Dad was in pretty good spirits and he actually let me take him out to lunch YEAH
You are so right about real love. My dad did heroic care for my mom. He took such good care of her (as best as he could) She was able to stay out of a nursing home (her wish) until the last few days. I pray that she is free from her disease and is flying free like a bird now.
I am sorry that your DH has Alzheimer's. That is one rotten disease. I have had a lot of experience with that, and I know how heartbreaking that can be. I will say some prayers for you. You do seem to have a great cheery outlook about it all. Take care...