Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/220

Height: 5'10"

Default Creating your own 30 day challenge

So I am currently doing two 30 day challenges, a squat challenge and an arm challenge, and have found I absolutely LOVE them. I like the routine of it (I know exactly what I have to do each day) and I like the fact that it is short term, I tend to lose interest in things.

I would like to creat my own challenges tailored to what I want to work on (butt, triceps, inner/back of thighs) with activites I can do (not chair dips, they kill my shoulder) my issue is I'm a little confused about the increases/rest days. My squat challenge has a rest day ever 7 days and varies the numb of squats. For example I did 100 yesterday, will do 150 today and 80 tomorrow. The number is slowly increasing from 50 the first day to 200 the last but its not consistent. The arm challenge I do has a rest day ever 4 days and constantly increases by 5 every day.

So here's my question, which is better? Steady increases or over all increasing but varying up and down day to day? How often should there be a rest day? Is it just personal preference?

Also which is better for building muscle, increasing reps but keeping the same weight (5 lb barbell for the whole month just increasing how many you do like 50 to 200) or increasing weight so at the end of the month you aren't doing that many (maybe only 100) but you're using more weight?

Help?!
JeniH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:30 PM   #2  

No one has any advise?

Bueller?
Old 09-04-2013, 10:37 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 171/ticker/121

Height: 5' 1"

Regarding rest days: I could be wrong, but I say do what works for you. Listen to your body.
I don't really know which is better (wish I could be of more help!) when I was working on my pushup challenge, I liked that the amount varied vs steadily increasing. Not sure there is a "better."

Not sure about the part about increasing muscle.
I'm sorry I wasn't more help! I just wanted to try and offer a little advice...since you've been waiting for an answer.
Quiet Ballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:57 AM   #4  

Thank you! I'm starting to think, after looking at a bunch of challenges, that it might be personal preference... I'm like you, I think I'm liking the different days vs constintly increasing.

I figure if nothing else Ill just fake it, I can always change it the next month if I don't like the way I did it.

Again thanks for chiming in!