Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-03-2013, 03:14 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Default Wrote novel, ate food

This past weekend I participated in the 3-Day Novel Contest, an annual Labour Day Weekend event. It was one of the hardest and most rewarding things I've ever done in my life. I ended up with 45,000 words (about 150 pages) and a manuscript I consider not half-bad.

I decided that I wasn't going to worry about my caloric intake during the contest, not wanting the mundanity of hunger to stand between me and my goal. I didn't gorge, but I ate what I wanted, when I wanted. I ate widely and well: bread, eggs, cheese, Greek yogurt, mangoes, raspberries, green peppers, hummus, various types of nuts and seeds, salmon, ravioli, and several bags of late-night popcorn. I also drank two rather than my customary one glass of wine each day.

While I didn't keep track of calories at all, I estimate I averaged about 3,000 cals per day. This morning the scale registered a 2-lb increase, of which I figure 1 pound is a true gain.

I never felt stuffed and my energy held steady. I can't help thinking it's a shame that the amount of food that keeps my mind happy and my creative juices flowing most efficiently is more than my body needs to maintain its weight. When I hear how little some people have to eat to maintain, I can't complain about my own 2,000-calorie allotment. Even so, I find it hard to accept this body-mind divide!

Freelance
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:21 PM   #2  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

That is so fascinating! I can't even imagine geting a decent manuscript from a marathon writing session like that, I love that you did!

It sounds like you were able to manage the food balancing act really well! Congratulations!

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 09-03-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:00 PM   #3  
Making it a lifestyle!

Height: 5'9.5"

I can certainly empathize. I want to focus on college homework rather than food right now...and I find myself munching quite a bit (on good, healthy stuff, but too much nonetheless.) I wish I didn't require so much to keep my critical thinking skills up and mind happy either. :/ Congrats on the novel though!
Chronostasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:12 PM   #4  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I completely empathize with your difficulty in accepting the situation! At the same time, I'm amazed at what you were able to accomplish and I think you made the right decision (to eat what you want) and you handled it like a champ (you didn't let it derail you, nor did you gorge). I wish I could handle situations as well as you do...you inspire me to do better and make me realize that it can be done.

I went to San Francisco for a few days and I completely fell off track and even when I got back on Saturday, I had a very hard time getting back on the wagon so I ended up binging on stupid things all of Sunday.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:26 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 178/167/147

Height: 5"10

Lucky mom- we may have been over ordering in the same resturant. I went to San Fran and Napa, two week total vacation with tons of wine equaled 8 lbs. Gained
Freelance I would say you did well all things considered! Sounds like u didn't eat till sickness and only a few days. It happens to all of us what's important is our attitude and what we do once it's done.
Rintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:08 PM   #6  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

Freelance- that is so awesome, great to hear of something so creative, I've heard of that type of contest, not from someone who's actually done it though!

Great job
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:06 PM   #7  
Susan

S/C/G: 200/170/130

Height: 5' 5"

Congrats on the manuscript! I can't imagine doing anything creative in a rush. Heck, I can't even imagine doing anything creative given lots of time.

It's funny how we're all different. I'm the total opposite to you. I've spent many long weekends writing 100-plus page reports (factual, not fiction). But, when I do, I typically forget to eat and my calorie consumption goes way down. My thoughts turn to food when I have nothing to do but twiddle my thumbs most of the weekend!
Tuscany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:18 PM   #8  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I think that "Wrote Novel, Ate Food" would be a fantastic title!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:35 PM   #9  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Snark View Post
That is so fascinating! I can't even imagine geting a decent manuscript from a marathon writing session like that, I love that you did!

It sounds like you were able to manage the food balancing act really well! Congratulations!
This^^
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:38 PM   #10  

Height: 5'2"

Great job! Not trying to play enabler or anything, but maybe you actually needed some extra food for writing; your brain uses a LOT of glucose and you were using your brain in what I assume is a different manner than usual. Once the water goes off, you may be pleasantly surprised.

And WOW, I'm jealous that you were able to crank out a manuscript that quickly. It makes me wonder why I haven't finished my novel yet...
HelloNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:50 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Agreeing with time2lose!!! Makes me want to know more. Congratulations on your achievment.

Last edited by gailr42; 09-03-2013 at 11:54 PM.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:01 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 178/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

So awesome! Any plans for this manuscript?

By the way, your weekend vaguely reminds me of my college days when I often had a snack in hand while studying or writing papers. Hmmm. That might explain my freshman fifteen and the ongoing creep through those years.
Moving Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:52 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving Forward View Post
Any plans for this manuscript?
I plan to expand it to about 80,000 words and then shop it around -- unless I actually win the contest (one can always dream, right?), in which case the book will be published verbatim.

Freelance
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:42 PM   #14  
*Shakes fist at regain*

S/C/G: 150ish/ 114 / 109

Height: 5'

What a cool experience!

I get what you mean about the body/mind divide. Sometimes when I'm focused on a project, I don't want to eat at all. That's usually when I'm working on adrenaline. But other times, adrenaline doesn't flood by system and I find I need a lot of food to keep my energy up, definitely more than I truly need for weight management. I wonder how many extra calorie the brain truly is burning on those occasions?
crispin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:59 PM   #15  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Height: 5'6"

OMG - 3 days?!? I've done NaNoWriMo - a novel in a month - a few times and thought I was going to die (creatively, mentally, emotionally, physically). I'm AMAZED at you.

About the food? *shrug* I wouldn't worry about it. It was only three days, you did it thoughtfully, and you ate healthily. Onward, brave author!
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote