Living Maintenance - Maintainers! Health! Fitness! September!

silverbirch
09-02-2013, 04:39 AM
September is already moving along. Tawny autumn is coming to the northern hemisphere as spring begins to unfurl in the southern. Wherever you live, stretch out and challenge yourself. You'll be pleased you did, come Christmas.

silverbirch
09-02-2013, 04:46 AM
Sunday - an hour or so in the garden (mowing, sawing, kneeling, lifting). And 4.3k steps.

I breathe this very quietly to you but I could be strong enough in my lower back and legs to move things on a little. More work on the calves and feet should see it by the end of the month.

CherryPie99
09-02-2013, 10:47 AM
Yay Silver! You are just going for it!

Sep.1 miles running (1:44:44)
30 minutes foam rolling

traveling michele
09-02-2013, 11:33 AM
Jen, I thought of you yesterday as I ordered a foam roller from amazon. My hamstrings are perpetually sore and I'm hoping that will help? Do you have any suggestions? Are there certain things to do with it?

For me..

Sept 1: 60 minutes Zumba, 100 minutes bikram yoga

Totals:
2 workouts
160 minutes

saef
09-02-2013, 11:40 AM
Birchie, well done with the title. This reminds me of the end of a John Cheever short story, whose title I don't recall, in which a suburban husband, stirred by the sound of rain, rises up in bed and exclaims to himself: “Valor! Love! Virtue! Compassion! Splendor! Kindness! Wisdom! Beauty!” An American playwright, Terence McNally, paraphrased that in the title of one of his best plays, "Love! Valor! Compassion!"

Sunday, Sept. 1st:

45 minute spin class, and then, since I felt up to it, afterward:
60 minutes shoulders, biceps & triceps routine, with me dropping the weights a little on the biceps. I'm suspecting that strain on the inside of my right arm is partly due to bad form, with me not holding or using my wrist correctly

Monday, Labor Day Holiday

Ran 4.27 miles, a few minutes faster than I've been doing it, though this was a slog, with the humidity levels at 90%. Less jouncy but still exhausting. Whenever a good runner with a smooth stride goes by, I pick up that beat, but only for a few steps, then lose it again. I am starting to wish I could run with someone who knew what he or she was doing. But it was hard today, anyway. It's that tropical weather that heralds hurricane and storm season, which I hate with all my heart.

traveling michele
09-02-2013, 05:01 PM
Jen, I thought of you yesterday as I ordered a foam roller from amazon. My hamstrings are perpetually sore and I'm hoping that will help? Do you have any suggestions? Are there certain things to do with it?

For me..

Sept 1: 60 minutes Zumba, 100 minutes bikram yoga

Totals:
2 workouts
160 minutes

Sept 2: very difficult bikram class today 100 minutes

Totals:
3 workouts
260 minutes

silverbirch
09-02-2013, 05:29 PM
Thanks, saef. It came to me as I lay in my own bed this morning, as it happens, with the sound and feeling of cloud that is not yet rain outside.

Saef, it's interesting how you can pick up another runner's rhythm for a little. In "Running with the Kenyans", the runners at St Patrick's College spend a lot of time running in a file, one after the other, with the aim of matching the previous person's rhythm or learning to do that. You can see the Kenyans and Ethiopians do it so beautifully on the track. It can be learnt.

MBF exercises this morning and only 2.6k steps (just under a mile) as the afternoon was devoted to sorting out and labelling new school uniform.

I'm starting to think about foam rolling for my calves and feet.

CherryPie99
09-02-2013, 08:26 PM

There are a TON of you tube videos out there as it seems like foam rolling is THE thing now. But basically, you want to just roll out the muscle. It SHOULD hurt in a good way, but the first few times - at least for me it just HURT, HURT. You will feel when you have hit a knot - when that happens HOLD yourself there are just relax into it - the foam roller will squish out the knot.

For hamstrings, I lie on the floor and put the foam roller under my hamstrings. Then place all your weight on your hands and lift up - like a reverse plank. Use your arms to roll forward and back with your hamstrings firmly locked on the foam roller. Make sure your weight is on the hammies and hands only.

Hard to explain, but I hope it makes sense.

CherryPie99
09-02-2013, 08:28 PM
September 2: P90X Kempo
30 minutes foam rolling

Achilles in the aftermath of the half marathon:

http://i40.tinypic.com/121u5i1.jpg

saef
09-03-2013, 10:57 AM
Tuesday, Sept. 3rd:

15 minutes Stairmaster, resistance at nine, random intervals
60 minutes chest, shoulders & triceps routine
60 minute spin class in the evening

Jen, I'm not very observant about anatomy, as I'm not sure I can see what is different about your Achilles tendons. Maybe because I don't know what they usually look like. Also, it's a foreshortened angle. Are your legs swollen?

CherryPie99
09-03-2013, 11:05 AM
If you look at my right leg - right above the heel - you can see a large lump compared to my left - that's the tendonitis.

krampus
09-03-2013, 11:40 AM
OUCH, heal quickly Jen! Great time on the half!

9/1: Pullups, chinups and dips on Gravitron. DB shoulder press. Roman chair leg raises. 15 min on treadmill, average 7.2 mph.

9/2: No formal exercise but surely lugging around a washing machine and dryer and moving furniture in and out of a U-Haul counts

9/3 AM: 2.01 mi in 16:23 on treadmill. DB bench press. Barbell shoulder press.

silverbirch
09-03-2013, 05:35 PM
Tuesday

7.3k steps, 2.8 miles. Quite pleased with myself as I scheduled a walk to the doctors' surgery to collect prescriptions. Had I not done that, today would have been fairly stationary.

Krampus, furniture moving always counts.

CherryPie99
09-03-2013, 08:28 PM
September 3: 6.1 miles running (50:11)
45 minutes weight lifting (shoulders bi and tris)
30 minutes foam rolling

krampus
09-04-2013, 11:11 AM
9/3 PM: 4 miles running (37:50, hip pain)

traveling michele
09-04-2013, 11:12 AM
Sept 2: very difficult bikram class today 100 minutes

Totals:
3 workouts
260 minutes

Jen-- how is your Achilles doing?

Sept 3: 95 minutes Bikram-- slightly dizzy as I had given blood the day before but still made it through (minus 1/2 a pose when I sat down rather than pass out).

Totals:
4 workouts
355 minutes

saef
09-04-2013, 11:55 AM
Wednesday, Sept. 4th:

60 minutes arc trainer, hill intervals, resistance at nine, another soaking-wet workout due to heavy humidity, despite the cool temperature

CherryPie99
09-04-2013, 12:58 PM

Sept 3: 95 minutes Bikram-- slightly dizzy as I had given blood the day before but still made it through (minus 1/2 a pose when I sat down rather than pass out).

Totals:
4 workouts
355 minutes

Are you okay? Was it just having donated that made you dizzy?

As far as my Achilles goes, it HURT all day Monday after the 1/2 but felt better yesterday so I decided to try to run. It hurt some for about the first 1/2 mile but then was really good. I was pleasantly surprised last night and today that it isn't bothering me at all!

So I am psyched for the 10K on Saturday!

Jen

traveling michele
09-04-2013, 01:51 PM
Are you okay? Was it just having donated that made you dizzy?

Jen

Yes, I'm fine. It is pretty normal to get dizzy in bikram between the heat, humidity and effort. Plus your blood pressure tends to go down and I already have low blood pressure. I rarely get dizzy anymore but when you donate they tell you not to do strenuous exercise for 24 hours. I was about 26 hours out at yoga.:p

silverbirch
09-04-2013, 05:19 PM
Tuesday. Abs exercises & 7.8k steps, 3 miles.

CherryPie99
09-04-2013, 08:03 PM
September 4: 60 minutes weight lifting (back and legs)

Michelle - glad you are okay! I have never done hot yoga, but when I do my yoga DVD's at home, I shake uncontrollably for about 15 minutes afterwards!!

saef
09-05-2013, 09:17 AM
Thursday, Sept. 5th:

Ran 4.27 miles on the usual pathway, still finding it difficult. I realized somewhere along the way that I don't pick up my feet enough & I drag my right leg a little. I don't do this on machines but I do it when I run. How strange.

60 minutes Pilates mat class

traveling michele
09-05-2013, 11:35 AM

Totals:
4 workouts
355 minutes

Jen-- you should totally try hot yoga! You would rock it! I don't know if they have it where you live, but you should check. It is addictive!

Sept. 4: 95 minutes Bikram yoga-- got dizzy again which is weird. I'm thinking my blood pressure may be lower than usual but dh took our blood pressure monitor to China. The dizziness passed after a few minutes but I had to sit out of a posture which I never do. Another regular asked me after class if I was okay-- he said I never sit out! Most people do here or there but I just don't.

Totals:
5 workouts
450 minutes

CherryPie99
09-05-2013, 07:24 PM
September 5: 6.1 miles running (49:19)
30 minutes foam rolling
35 minutes ab/core work

silverbirch
09-06-2013, 05:58 AM
Thursday

11.7k steps. I found every opportunity to walk and made several others. 4.6 miles. All this walking is making the skin on my legs and bottom very smooth.

traveling michele
09-06-2013, 11:24 AM
Jen-- you should totally try hot yoga! You would rock it! I don't know if they have it where you live, but you should check. It is addictive!

Sept. 4: 95 minutes Bikram yoga-- got dizzy again which is weird. I'm thinking my blood pressure may be lower than usual but dh took our blood pressure monitor to China. The dizziness passed after a few minutes but I had to sit out of a posture which I never do. Another regular asked me after class if I was okay-- he said I never sit out! Most people do here or there but I just don't.

Totals:
5 workouts
450 minutes

Sept 5: 95 minutes Bikram Yoga-- didn't get dizzy :dizzy: but it also didn't feel as hot and humid in the room:cool:

Got my foam roller and tried it out a bit last night with some you tube videos. My dachshund thought it was funny and he kept jumping on me and kissing me. I didn't overdo it as I thought it would make me sore which I am somewhat. Looking forward to working with it more.

Totals:
6 workouts
545 minutes

saef
09-06-2013, 12:04 PM
Friday, Sept. 6th:

30 minutes Stairmaster, intervals, resistance at nine, the usual, hard to get through
60 minutes back & biceps routine

silverbirch
09-06-2013, 05:39 PM
Friday

Movement-based flexibility. 2.8k steps, 1.1 miles.

So nice to wake up this morning and be able to put both hands behind my head comfortably. Progress.

CherryPie99
09-06-2013, 08:51 PM
My dogs love it when I foam roll!! Hope you get benefit from it Michele!

September 6: 4 miles walking
30 minutes foam rolling

saef
09-07-2013, 02:41 PM
Saturday, Sept. 7th:

60 minutes spin class, with me again skipping the weight & resistance band intervals & instead peddling along
60 minute Pilates mat class, during which my legs trembled, because the instructor decided to do a lot of leggy stuff, and I hadn't had any of the usual breaks in spin class beforehand

CherryPie99
09-07-2013, 06:48 PM
September 7: 10K race (44:59)
30 minutes foam rolling

silverbirch
09-07-2013, 06:52 PM
Saturday. Two hours breaking up fencing panels in the rain. Only 2.5k steps, 0.9 miles. But movement, nonetheless.

saef
09-08-2013, 11:27 AM
Jen, that's a fabulous race time. I think you are finally seeing that you are really fast, right? No more starting races way back in the pack.

Sunday, Sept. 8:

15 minutes Stairmaster, the usual
60 minutes shoulders, biceps & triceps
45 minute spin class, a killer, definitely left me thinking I wouldn't need more legwork afterward

silverbirch
09-08-2013, 05:42 PM
Sunday. Hour or so sawing up wood. 8k steps, 3.1 miles.

A gymn friend called out to me in a supermarket car park this morning. Haven't seen her for months. Her husband died 6 months ago and she's hoping to get back into gymn-going now. I said I'll be there on Thursday morning, rowing, and I'll go on the treadmill if she's there to keep her company. We'll see how I get on. My plan has been to get strong enough to row for cardio one day a week as I like it.

Good going, Jen! Do you think that foam rolling (and you're religious about it) is giving you an edge? Stopping niggles turning into injuries? That kind of thing?

traveling michele
09-08-2013, 07:00 PM
Sept 5: 95 minutes Bikram Yoga-- didn't get dizzy :dizzy: but it also didn't feel as hot and humid in the room:cool:

Got my foam roller and tried it out a bit last night with some you tube videos. My dachshund thought it was funny and he kept jumping on me and kissing me. I didn't overdo it as I thought it would make me sore which I am somewhat. Looking forward to working with it more.

Totals:
6 workouts
545 minutes

Sept 6, 7, 8: 95 minutes Bikram each day

Totals:
9 workouts
830 minutes

saef
09-09-2013, 11:13 AM
Monday, Sept. 9th:

4.25 mile run, best one yet, and the first one of the season in long sleeves

krampus
09-09-2013, 04:18 PM
Sept 6: 3 mile walk, split a lot of logs with an axe. Rarrr!

Sept 8: 3 x 5 FIRST EVER UNASSISTED DIPS, 3 x 8 pullups and chinups on Gravitron, 3 x 8 DB bench press at 50#, barbell shoulder press (bar), Roman chair leg raises. 3.5 mile hilly run with friend who is a firefighter. Didn't feel I slowed him down too much!

Sept 9: 5 min arc trainer, 6 min stair stepper (arc trainer creaks loudly and I forgot music), 3 x 10 DB Bulgarian split squats w/50#, 60 glute bridges w/45# plate, 5 x 10 calf raises @ 120#, Roman chair leg raises

silverbirch
09-09-2013, 04:41 PM
Monday. MBF. 3k steps.

saef
09-10-2013, 08:41 AM
Tuesday, Sept. 10th:

15 minutes Stairmaster, the usual
60 minute chest, shoulder & tricep routine
60 minute spin class back at the gym in the evening

traveling michele
09-10-2013, 11:25 AM
Monday. MBF. 3k steps.

What is MBF? :?:

traveling michele
09-10-2013, 11:26 AM
Sept 6, 7, 8: 95 minutes Bikram each day

Totals:
9 workouts
830 minutes

Sept 10: 60 minutes Body pump class

Totals:
10 workouts
890 minutes

krampus
09-10-2013, 01:21 PM
Sept 10: 4.1 mile run outside with BF before work.

silverbirch
09-10-2013, 06:07 PM
Tuesday. 5.8k steps.

Michele, MBF is a corrective exercise thing. Two bits of guff from trainers' websites below. As I am not working, I am Rebelling by not giving references!

"Movement based flexibility is a unique training system designed to allow the body freedom of movement. It is a progressive programme that enables you to develop functional movement and flexibility to prevent injuries, help you maintain good posture and increase your training potential."

"MBF generates a balance in muscle tone, power, flexibility and coordination on both sides of the body, reducing the likelihood of injury and contributing significantly to effective, efficient performance."

Effective, efficient performance? Yes, please. Seeing my trainer, using corrective exercises and working up to a good routine has put me well on the way towards getting rid of niggles big and small that have plagued me for a long time. Some of you who've known me a long, long time will remember how I used to bang on about posture over on the former Ladies Who Lift board. So that part suits me too.

traveling michele
09-11-2013, 11:20 AM
Sept 9: 60 minutes Body pump class

Totals:
10 workouts
890 minutes

September 10: very hot and sweaty bikram yoga class-- 95 minutes-- scale responded favorably:carrot::smug:

Totals:
11 workouts
985 minutes

saef
09-11-2013, 12:51 PM
Wednesday, Sept. 11th:

60 minutes elliptical, resistance at nine, random intervals, alternating backward & forward

krampus
09-11-2013, 01:32 PM
9/11 AM: Bench press, shoulder press, lat raises, lat pulldown.

silverbirch
09-11-2013, 05:50 PM
Wednesday. Abs. 4.5k steps, 1.3 miles.

I'm feeling pleased because tomorrow's the day I go to the gymn after a long absence. I'll be rowing and I hope to meet some old friends including the woman I bumped into on Sunday.

saef
09-12-2013, 11:29 AM
Thursday, Sept. 12th:

My usual 4.25 mile run, which felt good at the beginning, but then I got tired during the last mile, and my right foot dragged noticeably.

I'm starting to wonder about this imbalance. There is a serious wear pattern on the sole of my sneaker on the right outer foot. I have a natural turnout when I stand; it's an effort to get my feet pointing straight ahead and parallel. The right foot turns out more. Wonder if this is a hip flexor thing.

60 minute Pilates mat class in the evening, with a dramatic thunderstorm happening through half of it.

traveling michele
09-12-2013, 11:35 AM
September 10: very hot and sweaty bikram yoga class-- 95 minutes-- scale responded favorably:carrot::smug:

Totals:
11 workouts
985 minutes

September 11: 95 minutes bikram class. I'm nearing my 200 classes goal for the year. I told myself I could buy a lulu yoga outfit when I reach it!:carrot:

Totals:
12 workouts
1080 minutes

silverbirch
09-12-2013, 06:00 PM
Thursday

At the gymn. This area has many hardcore people who climb, sail etc etc. The Everest team trained here before "conquering" the peak for the first time. One of the royal family, Prince William, has been a search & rescue pilot here for three years. You get the picture. Many of them are at the gymn and as I'm going to go every week, I'm now calling myself an athlete once again.

This is what the Athlete did today.

3 mins treadmill - just tried it out again but it's really not for me. I need those infinitesimal changes of speed and direction and foot placement that real walking gives.
5 mins gentle rowing - nice. It pointed out to me where I'm stiff and tense so that's good.
Stretches - good
7.2k steps, 2.8 miles

:yoga: Glad to be in tune with the body and not pushing things too hard.

Saef, I have that with my left foot. It always means my calf and soleus are tight which then affects everything else, including the hip flexors.

saef
09-13-2013, 10:47 AM
Friday the Thirteenth:

30 minute Stairmaster, the usual, pouring sweat in high humidity
60 minute back & biceps routine

Every time I do this & don't get back on the Stairmaster for another half-hour, I feel vaguely guilty.

traveling michele
09-13-2013, 11:30 AM
September 11: 95 minutes bikram class. I'm nearing my 200 classes goal for the year. I told myself I could buy a lulu yoga outfit when I reach it!:carrot:

Totals:
12 workouts
1080 minutes

September 12: 100 minute bikram class with my fave instructor. Foot started hurting in class though and now it is non weight bearing.:mad::devil:

Totals:
13 workouts
1180 minutes

krampus
09-13-2013, 01:37 PM
9/12: 45 minute spin class. Monitor says I pedaled 14.4 miles. That doesn't seem like much...

silverbirch
09-13-2013, 05:52 PM
Friday

Hit the wall during movement-based flexibility exercises this morning. Perhaps it was linked to my rowing yesterday and my less than perfectly aligned body. Who knows? Tomorrow will be a rest day. (Though I may break up a little wood. Sunday is forecast to be atrocious so I shan't be able to do any then.)

3.4k steps, 1.3 miles.

silverbirch
09-14-2013, 05:42 PM
Saturday

Rest day and, overall, I feel better for it.
Took myself out for a little stroll, nothing serious, to get the digestion straightened out.

4.4k steps, 1.7 miles

saef
09-14-2013, 05:50 PM
Saturday, Sept. 14th:

60 minute spin class, skipping the weight & resistance band intervals
60 minute Pilates mat class

Mudpie
09-15-2013, 06:50 AM
September 12: 100 minute bikram class with my fave instructor. Foot started hurting in class though and now it is non weight bearing.:mad::devil:

Totals:
13 workouts
1180 minutes

Maybe it's time to see a chiropodist for your foot.

Dagmar :dizzy:

saef
09-15-2013, 12:38 PM
Sunday, Sept. 15th:

45 minute spin class
60 minutes shoulders, biceps & triceps afterward. Usually I get to the gym at 7 AM on Sunday & do this first, with a warmup on the Stairmaster to start, but I woke up late today and decided to change up my routine, just because it makes me uneasy & anxious to do this, and I need to learn to live through that.

silverbirch
09-15-2013, 05:55 PM
Sunday

Atrocious weather with high winds and heavy rain. It lifted for a short time before dusk so I went out for a constitutional. 5k steps, 1.9 miles.

It's becoming clear to me that the walks I can shoe horn into my day aren't quite long enough to add together and get near 10k steps. I'm going to work on how I can lengthen them a little, and also start to see how long they take.

traveling michele
09-16-2013, 11:14 AM

Totals:
13 workouts
1180 minutes

September 13: rest day for my hurt foot

Sept. 14: would have normally done spin but didn't want to put pressure on my foot. Decided I would try bikram and see how it went. The foot felt much better in class so I stayed and did back to back classes!

2- 95 minute bikram yoga classes!

Sept. 15: foot almost better but still sticking with yoga as I can always take it easy or alter poses if needed.
100 minutes bikram yoga

Totals:
16 workouts
1470 minutes

krampus
09-16-2013, 11:59 AM
9/13 and 9/14: Sloth day

9/15: 5 mile bike path run in 43:50, very euphoric as I literally ran off a horrible hangover.

9/16: 1.25 miles on treadmill, barbell squats, glute bridges, calf raises.

silverbirch
09-16-2013, 05:34 PM
Monday

Movement-based flexibility which also means the corrective exercises for SI and hip. That's 3 mins single-legged toe touches with weight, 3 mins single-legged squats with weights (I try and do these like a ballet dancer says "please").

4.7k steps, 1.8 miles

Mudpie
09-16-2013, 05:47 PM
Monday

Movement-based flexibility which also means the corrective exercises for SI and hip. That's 3 mins single-legged toe touches with weight, 3 mins single-legged squats with weights (I try and do these like a ballet dancer says "please").

4.7k steps, 1.8 miles

That last part sounds quite lovely, even though I can't form any mental image to go with it.

Dagmar :dizzy:

silverbirch
09-16-2013, 05:58 PM
I think they're glute squats, an ugly name for a lovely manoeuvre. I like to think I invented it but that can't really be true.

It's really best if you pop into your tutu. Arrange hair in a chignon. Mine is short but I make an effort. (J/k)

As you bend one leg you kind of tuck the other one round the back of your bottom. (This has to have a technical name but I don't know it. Also please don't question me about about different parts of the bottom - just accept this part ...) At the same time bring your arms (hands holding the weights) round to meet one another. Look beseeching, if you like.

It is lovely and opens up a quite different world for a little while. It has also had startlingly good effects on my bottom.

bargoo
09-16-2013, 06:06 PM
What is MBF? :?:

Inquiring minds want to know .

silverbirch
09-16-2013, 06:12 PM
Bargoo - I answered Michele in #43 above. :)

Must must go to sleep now. It's quite cold so I've put a blanket on the summer quilt.

Night, night all.

saef
09-17-2013, 09:08 AM
Birchie, is that a curtsy squat? There's one trainer at our gym that's quite fond of them. I don't take her class but am sometimes picking up weights from a corner that gives me a view into the studio when they're maneuvering about.

Tuesday, 17 September:

15 minute Stairmaster warmup
60 minute chest, shoulders & triceps routine

traveling michele
09-17-2013, 11:13 AM
September 13: rest day for my hurt foot

Sept. 14: would have normally done spin but didn't want to put pressure on my foot. Decided I would try bikram and see how it went. The foot felt much better in class so I stayed and did back to back classes!

2- 95 minute bikram yoga classes!

Sept. 15: foot almost better but still sticking with yoga as I can always take it easy or alter poses if needed.
100 minutes bikram yoga

Totals:
16 workouts
1470 minutes

September 16: 95 minutes bikram yoga

Totals:
17 workouts
1565 minutes

silverbirch
09-17-2013, 05:50 PM
Tuesday

My trainer ironed out my knotted feet and calves today which should help me. I usually give my feet a quick massage before putting on my socks but summer means no socks and that good habit seemed to slip away. My calves (mostly the soleus) have been solid for a while and no amount of stretching by me has really worked. The increased daily walking has also had a part to play.

Heavy rain for most of the day means that I'm delighted to have got in 6.3k steps (2.4 miles). It could have been more but I felt getting extremely wet would be counter-productive, at this point.

Saef, no, not a curtsey squat. Sort of but take the non-bending leg off the ground and tuck it round a bit. I'll have to make and post a video.

traveling michele
09-18-2013, 11:14 AM
September 16: 95 minutes bikram yoga

Totals:
17 workouts
1565 minutes

September 17: 95 minutes Bikram yoga

Totals:
18 workouts
1660 minutes

silverbirch
09-18-2013, 05:33 PM
Wednesday

Abs - they have to be there somewhere!

5.4k steps, 2 miles. I took a slightly longer route back to my car, already parked at the far end of the car park. I made two extra trips to my car from the house (I can't park very near), carrying pieces of slate for the tip.

saef
09-19-2013, 08:33 AM
Wednesday, 18th Sept.:

Nothing at all. Slept in after a bad night. Toe felt less sore and swelling was down, but developed some kind of gastrointestinal upset, I think due to clearing the infection from my system.

Some guilt over not having gone to the gym, but also a sense of daring and freedom, as if I'd gotten away with something. That seems dangerous.

krampus
09-19-2013, 05:12 PM
Wed, Sept 18:
-1 mile warmup treadmill run at 7.5 mph
-Pullups, dips, bench press, bent over DB rows, lat raises, barbell curls and face pulls, Roman chair leg raises

silverbirch
09-19-2013, 05:47 PM
Thursday

MBF warm up which was much better than treadmill. 10 mins fairly gentle rowing and L leg did not complain. Slight knee and hip ache this evening but I think that's probably OK. My knee looked out of line on Monday but the massage will probably have encouraged it to get back in line a bit.

5.5k steps, 2.1 miles

saef
09-19-2013, 10:02 PM
Thursday, Sept. 19th:

Back to the gym, possibly too soon, as I didn't feel very strong doing cardio and now my toe is throbbing again.

60 minutes arc trainer, resistance at 10, hill intervals, hands free
60 minutes Pilates mat class.

I realized that after a stressful day at work, when I'm a bit dazed and have trouble stopping, but am too tired to focus, the gym is a welcome interval. I work it off and come home much more peaceful. I was dying for it after a day with four meetings and one 45-minute interview with a job candidate.

traveling michele
09-20-2013, 11:44 AM
September 17: 95 minutes Bikram yoga

Totals:
18 workouts
1660 minutes

September 18: 95 minutes Bikram Yoga

September 19: 95 minutes Bikram Yoga-- not humid enough so I barely sweat which makes class more difficult! This was my 199th class of the year. My goal was 200 (at least) so I'll get there this weekend. I don't think I have time today to go so I'll probably run. I HATE running but I need to start training for the half marathon I signed up for that is next month!

Totals:
20 workouts
1850 minutes

saef
09-20-2013, 04:06 PM
Friday, Sept. 20th:

25 minutes Stairmaster stepmill, the usual, and I could not make it to the full half-hour. I'm not quite well yet.
60 minutes biceps & back routine. But my upper body is in good shape, because I had a good session with assisted pullups, which made me wonder if I ought to drop my assistance level next Friday.

Feeling like a slacker. Went out for a walk on lunch hour to the post office & back, enjoying the sunshine.

krampus
09-20-2013, 04:27 PM
Thursday, 9/19: 45 minute spin class
Friday, 9/20: 15 min warmup run on treadmill (1.76 miles), barbell shoulder press, 100 plate glute bridges

silverbirch
09-20-2013, 05:31 PM
Friday

Movement-based flexibility + one-legged toe touches and squats.

4k steps, 1.6 miles

I can feel yesterday's rowing.

silverbirch
09-21-2013, 05:39 PM
Saturday

1.25 hrs moving logs (squat, lift, throw, walk, stack)

About an hour sawing and chopping kindling.

5.1k steps, 1.9 miles

saef
09-21-2013, 07:04 PM
Saturday, Sept. 21st:

Woke up feeling sick. My stomach had rumbled all night. Is this stress or food poisoning? Dumped remaining soup in the toilet. Didn't make spin.

60 minute Pilates mat class, not feeling good, in a cold sweat for part of it
30 minutes elliptical, barely made it through

Feeling a little better this afternoon but my stomach & bowels still aren't right.

traveling michele
09-22-2013, 03:12 PM
September 18: 95 minutes Bikram Yoga

September 19: 95 minutes Bikram Yoga-- not humid enough so I barely sweat which makes class more difficult! This was my 199th class of the year. My goal was 200 (at least) so I'll get there this weekend. I don't think I have time today to go so I'll probably run. I HATE running but I need to start training for the half marathon I signed up for that is next month!

Totals:
20 workouts
1850 minutes

September 20: 48 minute run outside. Between the stop lights, hills and dirt paths part of the way I certainly wasn't fast. But I did it. Very sore now-- especially in one knee-- it feels tight and stiff.

September 21:
65 minute spin class followed by 95 minute Bikram class (45 minutes in between classes). Bikram was so hard-- I hardly had the energy but it was good. I wanted to do Bikram as it was my 200th class of the year!:carrot::carrot:

Totals:
23 workouts
2058 minutes

silverbirch
09-22-2013, 05:24 PM
Sunday

7.7k steps, 3 miles. Part of this was to the only fort of the American Revolution built this side of the Atlantic. It's rarely open but was today.

saef
09-22-2013, 05:44 PM
Sunday, Sept. 22:

Feeling almost normal this morning, heading out for the gym

15 minutes Stairmaster
60 minutes shoulders, biceps & triceps
45 minute spin class

The desk attendant gets cold easily so she didn't turn on the airconditioning when she opened the gym. So that may have had something to do with my breaking into a heavy cold sweat for much of my time there. I still don't feel exactly like myself, but my stomach is almost settled & my toe is nearly normal again. I am rejoining the world of the well.

traveling michele
09-23-2013, 11:23 AM
September 20: 48 minute run outside. Between the stop lights, hills and dirt paths part of the way I certainly wasn't fast. But I did it. Very sore now-- especially in one knee-- it feels tight and stiff.

September 21:
65 minute spin class followed by 95 minute Bikram class (45 minutes in between classes). Bikram was so hard-- I hardly had the energy but it was good. I wanted to do Bikram as it was my 200th class of the year!:carrot::carrot:

Totals:
23 workouts
2058 minutes

September 22: 100 minutes Bikram yoga

Totals:
24 workouts
2158 minutes

silverbirch
09-23-2013, 05:54 PM
Monday

(At home with a poorly boy.)

MBF + one-legged stuff. 2.2k steps, 0.8 miles.

saef
09-24-2013, 06:41 AM
Monday, September 23rd:

Squats on the Smith machine, leg curls, adductor machine
45 minute spin class

Tuesday, September 24th:

30 minutes Stairmaster, the usual
60 minutes shoulders, chest & triceps routine

krampus
09-24-2013, 01:41 PM
9/23: Terrible ~3 mile mountain run. Felt like I was coughing up blood.

9/24 AM: 20 min HIIT sprints on treadmill. 2.3 miles

silverbirch
09-24-2013, 05:26 PM
Oh dear, quite a bit of illness about. I have that very, very slight scratchiness at the back of my throat. I plan to keep warm and stop the virus replicating. That's the theory.

Tuesday

My trainer worked on my feet and calves again. I'm starting to feel much better and able to stretch these bits more efficiently.

5.2k steps, 2 miles.

traveling michele
09-25-2013, 10:56 AM
September 22: 100 minutes Bikram yoga

Totals:
24 workouts
2158 minutes

September 23: 95 minutes bikram yoga

September 24: 95 minutes bikram yoga.... knee is starting to feel better but is nowhere near normal.....

Totals:
26 workouts
2348 minutes

krampus
09-25-2013, 12:22 PM
9/24 PM: 10 min warmup on spin bike, 45 min lifting - pullups, dips, barbell curls and face pulls, tricep pulldowns, DB shoulder press, planks

saef
09-25-2013, 12:46 PM
Wednesday, 25 September:

60 minutes elliptical, resistance at nine, alternating forward and backward

Sore quads, sore butt, sore arms.
And my appetite has come roaring back.

saef
09-26-2013, 10:17 AM
Thursday, 26 September 2013

Ran 4.25 miles, which felt pretty good for at least the first half, and then again with the drag on the right foot.
60 minute Pilates mat class in the evening

traveling michele
09-26-2013, 11:13 AM
September 23: 95 minutes bikram yoga

September 24: 95 minutes bikram yoga.... knee is starting to feel better but is nowhere near normal.....

Totals:
26 workouts
2348 minutes

September 25: 95 minutes Bikram Yoga

Totals:
27 workouts
2443 minutes

saef
09-27-2013, 10:38 AM
Friday, 27 September:

30 minutes Stairmaster, the usual, which nearly did me in
60 minutes back & biceps routine

Not as energetic as last Friday. A little more sleep and recovery makes a world of difference.

traveling michele
09-27-2013, 11:20 AM
September 25: 95 minutes Bikram Yoga

Totals:
27 workouts
2443 minutes

September 26: 95 minutes Bikram Yoga

Totals:
28 workouts
2548 minutes

My knee is getting better each day but I'm still being careful. I'm thinking yoga is helping it.

krampus
09-27-2013, 01:00 PM
9/26 AM: 100 mountain climbers, planks
9/26 PM: 5 mile hilly run with firefighter friend. Exhilarating.
9/27 AM: Barbell shoulder press, front squats, DB bench press, lat pulldown, tricep pulldown, Roman chair leg raises

silverbirch
09-27-2013, 05:53 PM
A few more ramblings than usual from me, following our chat in the 5-10 thread about expanding this thread into more discussion about health and fitness.

Thursday - about 2k steps, less than a mile. Trying to stave off catching the DB's cold by keeping warm and rested (despite driving to a friend's to help with forms and untangling mental health issues). He poured camomile tea down me and made Puy lentils and celeriac for lunch. I provided salmon sandwiches and had a hot water bottle and paracetamol just in case. We had a good day but it wore me out. Early night.

Friday. 5.2k steps, 2 miles. Still keeping the cold at bay but I'm getting very tired. Keeping warm and not doing any exercise apart from strolling around and moving the last 30 or 40 logs. In bed now, ready to conk out.

On Tuesday (before I got this virus) my trainer talked about massage not being appropriate when you've got a virus as it pushes it round the (lymphatic) system and makes it harder to get rid of. I must look into this. I've heard it said about exercise too.

Finally, here's a link to an article about sleep, apparently the "key to tackling the obesity epidemic". http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/health-24162508

On that note, night night.

PS Michele, interesting that you think yoga is helping your knee. I've heard people say that sort of thing before.

traveling michele
09-27-2013, 06:45 PM
Silverbirch-- I was never a "yogi" before I started doing bikram yoga 2.5 years ago but I'm a true believer now. It seems to help just about anything (for me, anyway). I'm being cautious with my knee and skipping one pose all together as it was excruciating. I assume the heat helps with the stretching. I wouldn't do it if there was obvious swelling as the heat would likely make it worse.

I find your British-isms interesting and sometimes baffling. I have no earthly idea what Puy lentils and celeriac are?? Hope you feel better though!

saef
09-28-2013, 02:27 PM
Michele, that's not British English that Birchie is speaking, when referring to those two foodstuffs. That's international foodie. Celeriac is a root vegetable, a knotty buff-colored thing that looks like a cross between a turnip and anise. Puy lentils are tiny very dark green lentils from France that hold their shape better through cooking without turning to mush. Those lentils are not easy to find around here -- I've had to look for them in the better-stocked stores, though I may have gotten some at Trader Joe's.

No one is just talking to herself or himself in these posts -- have you seen the number of views this thread gets? And a helpful lurker or two has PM'd me after reading my posts with advice on something that I've sounded plaintive about.

Saturday, Sept. 28th:

60 minute spin class with weight intervals, in which I fully participated, though at one point I felt a twinge in my lower back, as though it were saying: "Now, now. You'd better stop that!"
60 minute Pilates mat class, which made my back feel better, though it was tough as ever

silverbirch
09-28-2013, 06:21 PM
That's international foodie.

:o I suppose you're right, saef. Yikes. I'm going to put that on my c.v. (resume)!

Michele, sorry about the language divide! Sometimes I know when I'm speaking language which doesn't travel and sometimes (mostly) I'm blissfully unaware. :yoga:

4.6k steps, 1.7 miles. I've still got a cold so I had a sleep this afternoon before going out for a meal with some Italian visitors. I only managed one course and then tottered back down the lane. Success, I think.

Despite the cold, my body's slowly unwinding after last week's wood delivery, calf detangling and general racing around. I like to wake up in the morning pain and discomfort free, able to stretch out and get up easily. That level of bliss has eluded me for some time but I hope I'm edging closer to it.

saef
09-29-2013, 03:03 PM
My mother's about two hours away from arriving, and I am nervous as ever, about to undergo what's basically a kitchen inspection by an FDA official (I'm only kidding slightly) and sorrowing because there are two movies playing locally in fine arts cinemas that I would've liked to have seen, but can't, because of preparations for my mother's visit and because she doesn't like those kinds of movies & gets bored & restless when she has to sit through them. Also tomorrow is going to be a pain. Between the therapist at 7:15 AM, a really full day at work since I've got three pieces going on a tight deadline, a physical with my doctor at 4 PM, and then having to entertain my mother tomorrow night ... These visits bring me little pleasure, honestly, because she visits while I'm working, and tips the precarious balance that enables my life to be so busy & yet I still get cooking, the gym & errands done.

Sunday, Sept. 29th:

15 minute Stairmaster, the usual
60 minutes shoulders, biceps & triceps routine
45 minute spin class

traveling michele
09-29-2013, 06:30 PM
September 26: 95 minutes Bikram Yoga

Totals:
28 workouts
2548 minutes

My knee is getting better each day but I'm still being careful. I'm thinking yoga is helping it.

September 27: 95 minutes Bikram Yoga-- happy that dh "let" me to yoga today. I usually don't on Friday night because we go to sushi and the wait is long if we get there late. I didn't want to push my knee though, so I did yoga and then we went (after my shower of course). We ended up with about a 20 minute wait for sushi so no biggie.

September 28:
Dh went to "play" with a friend so I had most of the day free to myself. He really went and helped his friend bring stuff to the dump (dh has a truck) and to lunch. So.... I doubled up.

60 minute Spin class-- good class but my console computer was calcuating high-- it said I burned 1250 calories-- I wish!

Then I went to bikram and had a great class
Bikram yoga-- 105 minutes

Scale was still up today because we went out for a (fairly) decadent dinner. Trying to flush out the sodium today and be extra good.

September 29:
100 minute Bikram yoga class
Great class! My yoga "buddies" surrounded me and we had a strong class. The heater has been intermittent lately but it was working in full force today!

Totals:
32 workouts
2908 minutes

saef
09-30-2013, 10:38 AM
Monday, Sept. 30th:

60 minutes on the elliptical, resistance at nine, alternating forward and backward. A hard workout, rough on the hamstrings. Didn't know whether to wipe sweat that was trickling into my right eye and making it burn, or the snot from my right nostril which is probably due to a ragweed allergy that always starts up at this time of year.