Living Maintenance - Maintainers' Weekly Chat 2 September - 9 September

silverbirch
09-02-2013, 03:21 AM
Good morning! A new week begins and for me, it's one of returning routine. School for the DB begins tomorrow and I plan to draw up a timetable for myself. I think this will help to ensure consistency which has been thrown to the four winds over the last eight weeks of spontaneity.

Peace to all this week.

Mudpie
09-02-2013, 05:55 AM
Silverbirch thank you for starting the weekly thread while Bill is off enjoying the trees.

I am going to have a completely unfamiliar week this week. I am taking the week off work (today is a holiday) to deal with the rest of the paperwork and appointments resulting from my father's death on Saturday. I hope to do this all this week and wrap it up on Friday with his interment. I think I have to go to a lawyer and to the bank and that's pretty much it for now. I am going to try to pick up his things from the palliative care unit today. One thing per day for him.

All of the immediate stuff resulting from his death wraps up on Sunday with the reception (?) at my cousin's house. I already have a little speech prepared. I didn't say anything at my dad's birthday for fear of starting a fight with him. But he's pretty quiet now :lol:. And I will "play nice" on Sunday and acknowledge the support he got and the support I got. I think I need to remind my cousin that, despite not having professional credentials and being blonde and a woman, I still do have a brain and am a force to be reckoned with.

I am also going to complete all of my projects for the new house. They involve shopping and will take 3 trips. I am going to take my paddleboard out a couple of times and just coast around on the flat water and enjoy being out there without a whole schedule to follow.

And I am going to cook real food for dinner most nights. I'm embarrassed to admit we had to resort to McDonald's last night - the 4th time I've ever had their food in my life. But you know what? DH suggested a menu choice for me and it was fine. And they make darn good fries!

Steak and salad tonite.

Good week all!

Dagmar :yoga:

silverbirch
09-02-2013, 06:14 AM
I [snip] have a brain and am a force to be reckoned with.

Precisely. :yoga:

alinnell
09-02-2013, 09:41 AM
I'm up early and enjoying my coffee on this holiday. DD has been home for the weekend and we've enjoyed each other's company.

DH and DS installed a new doggy door specifically for Misty and she's still confused! We put it in the sliding door she always goes in and out of but requires assistance when using the dog door. I sure hope she figures it out soon.

traveling michele
09-02-2013, 10:29 AM
Dagmar....just a thought for your speech. I know some of your relatives helped with his care? Perhaps you can thank them for their help. That way you don't have to talk about your dad much and people always want to be recognized for their help.

Allison- has your dd set a wedding date yet?

I've got the day off and plan to spend it going to yoga, donating blood, reading, and whatever else I decide!

alinnell
09-02-2013, 10:31 AM
Allison- has your dd set a wedding date yet?

Not really. Sometime in the summer. I asked if they're planning on going to Seattle for Christmas again this year and they are (as long as her fiancÚ can get away--it depends on whether or not he gets a job). If they do go up there, they'll do more planning at that time.

Michele (or any other Californian)~do you have a Eureka! Burger near you? It's a small California chain of maybe 10 restaurants. While burgers aren't necessarily the best diet food, these have to be the BEST burgers I've ever eaten. We're going for lunch today (and had them for dinner on Friday).

traveling michele
09-02-2013, 11:51 AM
No, we don't have one. I googled them and one is coming soon to Berkeley which is about 45 min from me. It's not even 9:00 and I'm hungry. Uh oh!

bargoo
09-02-2013, 12:14 PM
Another Californian here, haven't heard of Eureka Burgers but will check them out.
Dagmar, I hate to brag but I think I can make a better burger than McDonalds.

ICUwishing
09-02-2013, 08:57 PM
dagmar, 4 trips to Mickey D's in your life puts you far ahead of the rest of the "civilized" world. I still have weak cravings for their fries occasionally. I don't think of it as evil stuff - it's just highly processed food and a rare necessity when caught between a rock and a hard place. Sounds like once you get past this week, the "must do's" will fall back a bit and give you some real breathing room!

DS starts high school tomorrow. Wow. Just ... wow. Color me boggled. I mean, I've killed every plant I've ever owned, y'know?

Bedtime. It was Labor Day, and I have labored.

neurodoc
09-02-2013, 10:47 PM
Becky, I too have managed to kill most every plant I've ever owned (and usually in less than 6 months). OTOH, I have a 10th grader as of tomorrow, as well as newly-minted 6th and 3rd graders. Hard to believe I haven't killed any of them yet, either by accident or on purpose :>) And, like Silverbirch, I am deeply relieved that the (way too) long summer break is over and we can resume a normal routine. This, even though I know how much harder it is on all of us when we have to supervise homework, enforce bedtimes and pack lunches every day.

Dagmar, I haven't written since you announced your father's death here. Knowing full well the nature of your relationship these last years, I will refrain from offering condolences but hope that you will be able to make peace with his legacy now. Certainly, saying a public goodbye is a good step in that direction.

As for me, we're back from a 4-day trip to Chicago (4 1/2 hours drive), which was slightly disappointing in that we didn't see and do as much as I would have liked, but was nonetheless a pleasant getaway. I will now be buckling down to a long Sept. and Oct. with many meetings, deadlines and oodles of patient care.

Mudpie
09-03-2013, 05:31 AM
Thanks Andrea. I am going to take DH's advice and take the high road where my father is concerned.

I kinda previewed what I'll say to my cousin, whom I'll address on Sunday "in public" ie with the rest of whatever little family we have. He emailed me about funeral arrangements - I guess he's a little worried I won't even bother to get the old boy cremated :lol: - and I sent him a shorter version of the little speech I'll give. I imagine he's still seeing me as the crazy drunk who'll yell and scream :rollpin: about how badly my father treated me.

:crazy: Dagmar (much like Fat Megan) still exists but she doesn't come out any more at all, or at least her brief appearances are limited to one evening alone @ home.

I am going to be calm and polite and say this, with people's names at the appropriate places:

"Family is a very important thing. It gives us comfort, support, understanding, love. Unfortunately my father and I were unable to give each other this during our adult years. I'm so glad, as I saw by your continuing support of my father this past difficult year and by your daughter's Fb tribute to him, that dad was able to find family with you and your wife and kids. Thank you for that and thank you for giving us this opportunity to remember him."

My other cousin's wife will have to get a preview and an explanation. She thinks we're going in there to eviscerate everyone with steak knives. There are, as with most families, long standing grudges :mad: between her and the older cousin's wife. if she decides to get out her knife I will try to stay neutral but, if pushed, will side with her. SIGH. My dad is dead but he's still going to provoke war it seems.

silverbirch
09-03-2013, 05:44 AM
Dagmar, that sounds just right. Calm, polite, to the point. :yoga:

ICUwishing
09-03-2013, 09:24 AM
Dagmar, I agree with Silver - your plan is just right. Hopefully some of the longstanding grudges will fade away without your father around to poke the ashes, but some people just really get off on the negative energy.

andrea, good to see another plant-murderer! ;) You have my utmost admiration in taking on the task of raising three small humans. As much as I am fascinated and entertained and hopelessly in love with DS, there is no force on earth or otherwise that would have enticed me to repeat the deed.

I too like the predictable groove of the school year. I have heard from friends that our school system is notoriously bad about communications and tends to give very late notifications of events; so far things seem to be okay. In my world, it's been pretty simple: give me at least a few days worth of notice, or you're not going to see me or my kid. This tactic has made DS quite good at paying attention to and relaying information to me about things he wants to do!

It feels like fall. :)

saef
09-03-2013, 09:54 AM
It feels like everyone around me at work is overperforming this morning, to make up for yesterday's holiday and any summer vacation days. I've been answering emails & on the phone in meetings for the past two hours straight through.

Microsoft in particular has been making my life difficult for two weeks now with its various important announcements that have to be analyzed and written about extensively.

Also late yesterday some black sludge oozed upward into my bathroom sink, when I hadn't used it for an hour or two. Since I'm on the ground floor, this could have occurred as a result of my upstairs neighbors' cumulative activities. I've put two calls into maintenance on this & am waiting for them to come by. I suspect they've got to do some snaking through the pipes or something.

It feels like one of those days where ending the day standing upright and financially solvent and sane is the most that I can manage.

traveling michele
09-03-2013, 11:44 AM
I've been thinking a lot lately about chocolate....
I realized recently that for as long as I can remember, I've always had something chocolate every single day.
When I was losing weight, I still had chocolate-- a fiber bar, a fiber brownie, a low cal ice cream. Every day....

I realized that I have pretty much eliminated chocolate from my diet because I'm not eating dessert anymore. If I want something sweet at night, I'm having a piece of fruit. The only time I'm having desserts is once every few months when I'm out of town and I have a splurge.

This is weird territory for me. Has anyone else given up a food they thought they never would? I thought I wasn't missing chocolate but I keep thinking about it. Last night I had dreams that I was eating chocolate!!

Wondering if I should incorporate some chocolate into my diet or leave well enough along as I'm still working on getting 5 or so pounds back off....

alinnell
09-03-2013, 12:02 PM
Glad that I'm not a total plant murderer! There are some that expire prematurely but I have some Christmas Cacti that are more than 10 years old and thriving.

Michele~if you continue to think about it then I'd have some chocolate. Otherwise you'll see yourself as deprived of it and it might set you up for falling face first into a huge bowl of chocolate ice cream! A nice square of good quality chocolate to savor should do the trick.

And to answer the question if I've given up something that I thought I never would? That's tough to answer. There certainly are a lot of things that I rarely eat any more, but I cannot think of anything that I've completely given up.

Usually our weekend plans involve seeing a movie. It was really odd that on this long weekend we didn't see any movies! Well, we watched a couple on TV at night, but we didn't go to a theater. DD came home for the weekend and she had had her textbooks delivered here. She said that she wanted to try to test out of a statistic class and the test was on Wednesday, so she had to read 8 chapters of the book to prepare for the test. She took two statistics classes last year and was actually looking forward to taking a graduate level statistics class until she read the syllabus. It was identical to what she had already taken! And at this new school, her tuition is much, much higher, so testing out of the class would save her about $3000. So worth it, so we stayed quiet and let her read. Now everyone think good thoughts of her tomorrow that she may pass the test!

Ewww, saef! That gunk sounds horrible! Hoping maintenance arrives soon to fix it.

Dagmar~I agree that your speech is appropriate.

Mudpie
09-03-2013, 02:31 PM
Michele I gave up cookies a couple of years ago. I couldn't eat a couple - always dove into the bag. I just realized that I've pretty much given up ice cream in favour of frozen cherries. DH and I packed on the pounds about 5 years ago eating ice cream almost every night. This past summer I've had 2 cones and a pint on about 3 occasions. This all started with DH's bringing pounds and pounds of blueberries and other fruit home from Costco. I got in the habit of having 2 cups of frozen cherries (180 cals) as opposed to about 2000 cals worth of ice cream.

I gave up diet soft drinks of any kind last year. And I think I've pretty much given up the chips and crackers too. They were what I really craved with the diet soft drinks.

Now if I can give up a lot of the caffeine I'm good to go.

But chocolate? NEVER! I just buy a small quantity of super high quality chocs and eat it every so often.

Dagmar :angel: :lol:

saef
09-03-2013, 06:37 PM
Well, Pepe tried one snake, and then a different snake that he carried into my apartment inside a black case big enough to hold a decent-sized musical instrument. And still he couldn't get the water to drain freely. He says tomorrow they're going to open up a big pipe outside of my apartment. I felt a sneaking kind of relief: It isn't me. It's the accumulated gunk from the inhabitants of several apartments trying to get through pipes installed back in 1929. That will be our next maintenance assessment, after the wall, if we ever get the wall built: Extensive replacement of our plumbing.

I'm still reeling from my day: Screening resumes, training, assigning writing, attending two meetings, exchanging emails. I wasn't ready for this, after my vegetable state in the last three days' high humidity levels.

Oh, and there is so much I've given up & stopped eating. So much. Where do I start? Most of the time if I don't see it, it doesn't exist for me, so I don't crave it.

Mrs Snark
09-03-2013, 07:12 PM
I've been thinking a lot lately about chocolate....

Oddly, I have stopped enjoying chocolate pretty much altogether. I'm not sure why, but it just doesn't taste "right" anymore? It seems very strange not to have a bit of chocolate here and there. I kept eating it for a while, expecting to enjoy it, and then finally stopped when I didn't. Very weird.

Mudpie
09-04-2013, 05:23 AM
Oddly, I have stopped enjoying chocolate pretty much altogether. I'm not sure why, but it just doesn't taste "right" anymore? It seems very strange not to have a bit of chocolate here and there. I kept eating it for a while, expecting to enjoy it, and then finally stopped when I didn't. Very weird.

Truly, deeply weird - :dizzy: just kidding! I find, if I'm throwing a piece of chocolate in my mouth while doing 5 other things I don't register it much.

But, if I'm sitting down by myself and eating the chocolate while concentrating on how good it smells and feels and tastes, it's great! :drool:

Dagmar :cool:

Mudpie
09-04-2013, 05:31 AM
I have a week off. I have 4 major tasks to complete during this week :yoga: - 1 per day. I find myself now thinking about all the other stuff I've put to the back burner and starting to throw more and more things :stress: on to the schedule.

This is why, when I have actual vacation, I tend to go away from home. Ideally to another continent or another country. This was the frenzy :crazy: doesn't happen.

And I'm feeling quite guilty about not being crazy busy or putting all those other things on to my schedule. Somehow sitting down for an hour to drink a cup of tea and read on a weekday seems "wrong" - :shrug:

But I'm not resorting to food to quell that feeling. Or any others coming up. That's a good long step forward for me.

Dagmar :cheer2:

paperclippy
09-04-2013, 07:58 AM
I don't have any foods that I've given up entirely. There are some I don't enjoy much anymore, like prepackaged bakery items (muffins, snack cakes, etc.), but I can't cut foods out of my diet. It just makes me crazy.

Tonight we're going over to the in-laws' house for Rosh Hashanah and bringing the babies along. This is the first time the girls will be meeting their extended family! Unfortunately one of DH's aunts fell and broke her hip the other day so will not be there. DH has one cousin who just had a second baby and one who is expecting her second next month, so I picked up some things for the babies. I also got PJ's for the two 3-year-old big brothers -- hopefully that's an acceptable present! I've heard it's good to get something for the older sibling so they don't feel left out by baby presents.

ICUwishing
09-04-2013, 09:02 AM
Dagmar, here's another way that we are alike! It is rare for me to truly relax at home, because there are simply far too many things that need to be done. Heck, just writing about it makes my breathing shallow. ;)

saef, sorry to read that the snaking didn't do the job. From what you've said, seems like the assessment for the plumbing should be moved up while the wall stuff goes through the various courts.

Jessica, happy Rosh Hashanah! Sounds like tonight is going to be baby overdose!

There are a lot of things I've put on the "avoid" list because of my sensitivity to artificial colors. On a rare occasion, I'm willing to take the temporary 3-4 pound bloat hit for it; the more I move toward whole foods, the less of an issue this has become.

traveling michele
09-04-2013, 10:08 AM
Dagmar-- take this time. Don't feel guilty. You deserve it.

Jessica-- Happy Rosh Hashanah! Boy I'm out of the loop. I didn't even realize the holiday was upon us. I am the worst Jew ever. We quit our temple and haven't been doing anything religious this year. With our dd converting (to Mormanism) and our other dd out of state (plus my dh isn't Jewish), it just hasn't been a priority. Kind of sad. Enjoy it with your girls.

I didn't say I'd given up chocolate all together! I just have it once every few months instead of daily. There are ladies using my library for testing for two weeks and yesterday one of them offered me a high quality looking wrapped chocolate. For a second I thought-- it's a sign-- karma! But, I declined. For dessert after dinner I had a pluot. But the scale was still up a smidge (.2). Oh well....

alinnell
09-04-2013, 10:15 AM
I also find it difficult to relax (at times) at home. For instance, when I get home from work, I rarely sit down until dinner is on the table and that is sometimes a couple hours away. Instead I have a list of daily chores that needs to be taken care of before I can start preparing dinner. And then there was this morning--over 30 minutes of little things here and there that I had to do before leaving for the office. That said, once all those little things are taken care of, I can sit and watch some TV at night. On the weekends, if we don't have anything going on, I don't feel guilty laying on the couch to read (and often take a little nap).

I've been gathering all the itineraries for my various family members who will be travelling here for Thanksgiving. I'm going to have to write some of this down or I'll forget! The day after Thanksgiving is DD's 23rd birthday, so we'll have a 2nd celebration for that. I also need to get birthday cards for 2 nieces and my SIL (all belated) and my sister, brother and Dad who all celebrate in November. I think I should start now!

Mudpie
09-05-2013, 06:29 AM
I'm seeing the lawyer about my father's last will and testament today. He's fitting me in between appointments so it should be quick. I'm also going to leave him the details (there aren't many) for setting up a will for myself. DH and I did the do-it-yourself ones but I'd like to give DH some reassurance with an "official" will.

I'm going to pick up some tasty bakery treats and a card for all the staff at the palliative care unit who had to put up with/cared for my father during these last 9 months. They have a coffee break room so I'm sure they will enjoy having something to nibble on this afternoon.

Then I'm going to Costco.

As I said this is a pretty surreal week. All of the tasks associated wtih dying and grief, along with all the mundane stuff I haven't had a chance to do since May.

Speaking of mundane, I went to see "The Butler" yesterday. I liked it but it was very cliched and very predictable and Oprah is Oprah, no matter what character she is assigned. I did like some of the presidents and Jane Fonda just WAS Nancy Reagan.

Good day all!

silverbirch
09-05-2013, 07:32 AM
Good luck, Dagmar.

Is there still property in Estonia?

:yoga:

CherryPie99
09-05-2013, 10:02 AM
Dagmar - Good luck today! Sounds like you are keeping BUSY! Do you think you will need to sit down quietly at some point and process his death?

Things have been crazy here - I am trying to get everything ready because I leave for a vacation on Sunday. It's nothing like the exotic vacations that a lot of you who are more worldly then I go on!! We will be going to a cabin in a state park on the Pennsylvania/Ohio border. We are taking the dogs and I am hoping to get some hiking in and see sites that I never have before.

I also - theoretically - should use this as a time to rest and recharge, but like so many of us here I don't relax well!!

I am running a 10K race on Saturday - it's the Run for Recovery from Addictions, so it is near and dear to my heart.

Jen

traveling michele
09-05-2013, 11:42 AM
Have fun on your vacay Jen! And enjoy your run.

Dagmar-- good luck. I've heard the Butler is amazing. I'm wondering if you didn't care for it as much because of your frame of mind.

I need to quit spending money I don't have!! I looked for shoes this weekend and didn't find any. So what do I do? I go on White House Black Market online and find shoes plus a ton more on sale! Oy!

Has anyone self installed comcast TV? Was it hard? I currently have satellite Dish but pay upwards of $80 a month. I also pay $65 a month for internet. I had to install a new cable modem for my internet and when I called Comcast they offered me a deal for 6 months-- $49 for internet at twice the speed I have. I took it but it came with free TV. I told her I didn't want/need the TV but she said they would send the equipment and I could just send it back. It came yesterday and I was getting ready to send it back and I started thinking that maybe I should switch. I would be saving $100 a month for 6 months-- that's a chunk of change!

Mudpie
09-05-2013, 02:07 PM
silverbirch yes there is property in Estonia. I have to contact an Estonian speaking lawyer - left a message for him but he's not gotten back to me yet - to start wading thru the muck of all that.

I spoke at length with the lawyer here and he told me my dad called him the Thursday before he died, totally incoherent but angry-sounding. So dear old dad was consistent to the end.

The lawyer here seemed a bit worried about my older cousin-the-doctor challenging the will. But all roads lead back to me. All the house-signing over was done in the lawyer's office with my dad willlingly - :p - signing the house over to me. I am the only heir and I am the executor of the will. I'm not so worried about my cousin challenging me over the will - more so about the reception at his house. His younger brother and brother's wife feel that Mrs. Doctor will probably start heaping abuse on my head.

I told them that we would all take the high road. That will make us look like the good guys and them the bad - not what they intend at all.

And It might just be a small quiet social gathering with everyone quickly leaving after about an hour. That's my guess and I'm not too stressed about it. I'll get a good read of my older cousin tomorrow anyway at the interment.

I survived Costco! Put 6 items into my cart that were all calorie heavy and totally unneccesary and put 'em all back again. God they make it tempting to impulse shop there, don't they? I was really torn about the 2 lbs. of pumpkin seeds - was planning on tossing them into salads.

AS IF! :devil:

Dagmar :angel:

neurodoc
09-05-2013, 09:49 PM
HAPPY NEW YEAR to those who celebrated it today (as I did). I love that the "official food" of Rosh Hashonah is apples (ok; with honey, but still). Waay better than eggnog, stuffing, easter eggs or ham, and way way way better than the Hanukah celebratory latkes and sufganyot (fried potato pancakes and jelly donuts).

I used to think that a day without chocolate was a day not really worth living and like Michele, I would eat some really terrible versions of pseudo-chocolate (WW fudge pops come to mind; blech) in an attempt to satisfy my chocolate jones without taking in 200-300 calories. I would also have days of only 1000 cal of "real" food in order to eat a chocolate bar and still come in at a reasonable daily tally. These days though, I seem to be ok with having chocolate just a few times a month, as long as I don't ban it completely (I'm like Allison that way; the minute I tell myself I can't have something, I rebel and either eat it anyway, or overeat a bunch of other food in an attempt to compensate).

Mudpie
09-06-2013, 05:32 AM
Oh $&*@! It seems whenever I have a life crisis DH suddenly has one at work and has to quit his job. Or overeat like a pig at night. :rollpin:

I'm going to oversee the interment of my father's ashes today at 3 p.m. Anything that happens @ DH's work, short of him being killed, is a bit lower down on my radar today. Yeesh!

silverbirch
09-06-2013, 05:36 AM
Vent away, Dagmar! It's entirely appropriate, IMHO.

Hope all goes well today. :hug:

ICUwishing
09-06-2013, 10:06 AM
Sending DH some "big boy" panties, Dagmar. As you said, unless the work environment is presenting personal endangerment, whatever it is can probably wait. Much better to vent than face-stuff.

Happy New Year, Andrea and the other celebrants! As spouse to an amateur beekeeper, we're all about honey with darn near everything. :D

TGIF.

traveling michele
09-06-2013, 10:20 AM
Thinking of you today Dagmar.

Happy New Year Andrea! I am also Jewish but the world's worst Jew. I didn't do anything except wish my dd Happy New Year (my other dd has converted out of the religion so I didn't wish it to her!). You have bees in your yard?? That would creep me out! We get a few bees in our flowers and our silly Great Dane likes to eat them! They must give her a buzz! She shakes her head but keeps doing it!

ICUwishing
09-06-2013, 10:48 AM
Michele, we currently have 3 hives going. They aren't creepy at all - the bees are way too intent on what they have to do to pay any attention to us. :) And let me say true raw, unfiltered, unpasteurized honey is amazing stuff.

Mudpie
09-06-2013, 12:10 PM
Michele, we currently have 3 hives going. They aren't creepy at all - the bees are way too intent on what they have to do to pay any attention to us. :) And let me say true raw, unfiltered, unpasteurized honey is amazing stuff.

Becky I sometimes buy raw honey from local sources - YUM!

Thanks for the "big boy" pants for DH - subsequent emails indicate that he could use a sappy violin accompaniment as well.

I asked him, since I was going to my father's funeral in 2 hours, to not send me any more emails today. I'm going to take myself out to dinner when I get back and then go to a movie, come back, and go to bed.

Dagmar :(

silverbirch
09-06-2013, 12:36 PM
Sorting out the violins as we speak, Dagmar. I like your plan.

:yoga: <- Thanks for making me look at this. I am feeling a bit more like it myself nowadays.

We'd like bees and have looked into it a bit. There are a few cons, unfortunately. Despite living in the country we don't have much sunny and not very windy space. We have next to no storage space for kit (smoker, suit, spare hive etc). Honey bees also generally doing badly, it seems, thro' unexpected cold, varroa mite, Asian hornet (on way from France) etc. I think food supply would be OK, given the type of flowers we grow, the ivy and the gorse. "Kissin's out of season when the gorse is not in flower."

ICUwishing
09-06-2013, 12:41 PM
Bees are definitely in trouble over here. Add in the incessant spraying of the neonicotiniod pesticides like Imidacloprid - which was originally supposed to be the savior of the ash trees against the emerald ash borer. Who knew (besides the manufacturer, Bayer) that the stuff was fatal to honeybees? :rolleyes: And our EPA has been bought and paid for so thoroughly that they won't even take up a DATA REVIEW until 2018.

It does take quite a bit of equipment, and because of the diseases and mites it is no longer a hands-off operation. To have successful hives requires some time investment and a willingness to "get in there". And to be stung now and then, which certainly has happened to DH! He does admit that for every sting he's received, there's a reason he supplied. No one has been stung outside of a 10 foot ring around the hive. I've had them bounce off my head and back while I'm filling the birdbath, but have never encountered an aggressive or even ornery honeybee. They're very cool little bugs!

Shannon in ATL
09-06-2013, 02:09 PM
My grandfather has bees. He seems to love them - he and my grandmother drove up from my hometown to north of Atlanta at 9pm to pick them up, about a 1.5 hour drive for them. The man they bought them from told them that they were more dormant at that time of night and would tolerate travel better. They loaded the hives in the back of my grandfather's truck and drove home, got back about 11 via stopping for drive thru chicken just before they got to the farm. My grandmother says that the drive thru cashier was quite surprised to see a truck bed full of beehives, and wouldn't open the window again once she realized what they were.

silverbirch
09-06-2013, 02:56 PM
:wave: Shannon, was thinking about you today. Hope all is well.

Yes, I gather you have to wait for bees to go to bed. Trickier with long summer nights. So romantic driving through the night.

I've just made 2lbs blackberry jelly. It's cooling in the jars. I say this as shouldn't but it's Very Good.

Shannon in ATL
09-06-2013, 03:00 PM
I'm around, Birchie. Thanks for the wave. :) We've had some trouble with DSS this week so I've not been very talky. Trying to get my feet back under me.

silverbirch
09-06-2013, 03:04 PM
Give that boy a hug from me. If it's all too much send him round for a blackberry jelly sandwich (and he can take a jar home with him). :)

Shannon in ATL
09-06-2013, 03:18 PM
That would be lovely, Birchie. Can I come have a sandwich with him, too? We both love blackberry jelly. :)

silverbirch
09-06-2013, 03:41 PM
Of course. Beam yourselves over. (I know you know how to do that!)

You can *all* come. :)

Mudpie
09-06-2013, 04:15 PM
Of course. Beam yourselves over. (I know you know how to do that!)

You can *all* come. :)

I'm in - I love home made jelly, jam, whatever you want to call it, on toast. I never buy mass produced jams as they all taste of sugar and nothing else to me.

Dagmar :D

Mudpie
09-06-2013, 04:25 PM
So my cousins and I saw to the interment of my dad's ashes. It was overseen by the same lovely man I dealt with on Sunday. Gorgeous sunny day and he took us over in a golf cart. We did the interment very quickly and found out that my mom's ashes had been sitting in the niche since 1994 - my dad had her dug up and moved 2 years after she died (long kinda funny story) - wrapped in brown paper with a tag on them. The tone of the occasion was this:

"Wow, it looks like mom's about to be sent out in the post" - Dagmar

"With the most neatly taped package I've ever seen" - Erik

So I have to pick out an urn or box for her and have them transfer the ashes into it and redo the niche stuff.

Then we took a tour of the famous people's monuments who were buried in the cemetary and went also to a couple of more obscure stones. The funeral person was very knowledgeable about all of the monuments and we also found out that this particular cemetary was an "arboreum" - and contained every single one of the trees and shrubs native to southern Ontario.

A nice relaxed time for the most part.

CherryPie99
09-07-2013, 05:44 PM
Awful quiet here - I hope that means everyone is having a great weekend!

Ran a 10K this morning - Run for Recovery from Addictions - so it was a cause near and dear to my heart. I blistered my personal record and came in at 44:59. I'm pretty stoked about that, especially since I just ran that 1/2 marathon last weekend so I thought that I was going to be tired!

We are leaving for our vacation tomorrow and have no idea if there will be any way to access the internet, so I may not be on here for a week.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Jen

alinnell
09-07-2013, 07:13 PM
Wow, Jen, congrats on the time! Have a wonderful weekend.

I helped the economy today, as DH would say. I took DS shopping for clothes for college--2 pair of jeans, 2 pair of shorts, at least 4 or 5 t-shirts, a heavier jacket than he's ever owned, a pair of shoes and a comfy bathrobe.

We're on our 2nd week (or more) of afternoon thundershowers. Of the two weeks, we've seen less than 3 actual showers in our area. Of course one was the mother of all showers and we're still reeling from that. It devastated two canyons owned by local tribes and it may be months before they can be reopened for hiking (they're trails where you pay the tribe to hike and they're beautiful with their oases). I've had no less than 8 emergency alerts for thundershowers and flash floods and just now it started drizzling.

Shannon in ATL
09-08-2013, 10:39 AM
I'm here, just not very chatty. We have DSS this weekend and he has kept us jumping.

Dagmar - I've been out of pocket this last week and never said how sorry I am for the loss of your dad. Knowing the relationship you've described, I'm not sorry so much for his passing specifically, but sorry that you had so much suffering in your relationship with him and so much drama with other family around it. I was reading the story of the internment this weekend and saw humor and peace in it, that made me happy. I hope you are well.

Great 10k Jen! We I have a 15k next weekend and can't begin to tell you how totally unprepared I am.

I'm up and down lately. I've not exercised this week, but I've eaten alright. Last week I ate like a train wreck but exercised. I've lost my lovely routine I built in July and August before I got sick and school started. I need to get back in, shake it up a little.

Have I ever said I love to turn the radio up and sing at the top of my lungs in the car? I'm that person other drivers make fun of for tapping on the steering wheel, gesturing with the song. I especially love it with show tunes. It is hard to feel down or despondent while belting out a song with Mama Rose or defying gravity. Seriously.

Mudpie
09-08-2013, 12:11 PM
Shannon I too am a car singer - with the windows closed of course (I can't carry a tune in a wheelbarrow). I also play air drums and guitar and keyboards. Most people at stop lights find me totally amusing.

bargoo
09-08-2013, 03:10 PM
I helped the economy today, as DH would say. I took DS shopping for clothes for college--2 pair of jeans, 2 pair of shorts, at least 4 or 5 t-shirts, a heavier jacket than he's ever owned, a pair of shoes and a comfy bathrobe.
Allison, take me shopping, I would need exactly the same things you bought DS.

alinnell
09-08-2013, 06:20 PM
bargoo~DS is super easy to shop for. I pick it out, he tries it on and if it fits, I buy it. He didn't dislike anything I picked out, however, I made him pick out his t-shirts (I might pick the wrong design!).

bargoo
09-08-2013, 06:25 PM
bargoo~DS is super easy to shop for. I pick it out, he tries it on and if it fits, I buy it. He didn't dislike anything I picked out, however, I made him pick out his t-shirts (I might pick the wrong design!).

My friend took her preschooler to go shopping for school clothes, After while he was weary of trying clothes on and said, " Mama, I'm tired, put my Jesus pants on and let's go home". He meant the pants he was wearing which he usually wore to Sunday School.

dstalksalot
09-08-2013, 10:59 PM
Jesus pants. Cute.

This week has been randomly bad in the food and activity department for no real good reason. It scares me a bit. I wonder if Ive lost my mojo after 2 years. Gonna try and start from scratch this week. Hopefully I can reverse any possible gain before it happens.