Exercise! - looking for fitness tools/gadgets

View Full Version : looking for fitness tools/gadgets

df180
09-02-2013, 01:24 AM
what kind of tools are useful for walking/running? I'd like to start tracking how far I've ran/walked in miles....

hopefully this makes sense

Daimere
09-02-2013, 02:59 AM
Pedometer, good pair of shoes, and motivation!

Kitcherella
09-02-2013, 04:32 AM
I have a garmin watch and I am happy with it. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD14D5m3_TU )
There are some applications for smart phones too.

Changergirl
09-02-2013, 05:24 AM
If you've got a smart phone I liked using Map My Run or Nike+ apps. However it'll only track accurately if you've got a 3G/4G data plan. Though I believe you can input your walk/run in manually on the mapmyrun website.

Sum38
09-02-2013, 06:22 AM
Fitbit to track all my daily steps and calories burned. Endomondo to track my exercises (smart phone app). And the cool thing is, these two sync.

Wannabeskinny
09-02-2013, 07:55 AM
I'm reposting what I just wrote in a thread about this app.

I use an app on my phone called iSmoothRun. Best app ever! I can use it for walking, jogging, or cycling. It uses GPS to track my distance, speed, calories burned, it even maps and charts your course and even your elevations. I set it so that it chimes in every 3min and alerts me how far I've gone and what my average speed is. I think it cost $4 or so but it was the best fitness app I ever got.

It works great for my exercise, but I miss having a pedometer. A pedometer measures every step I take and I can really shoot for that 10,000 step mark every day.

nelie
09-02-2013, 08:06 AM
I use a pedometer but honestly only because it is tied to my health insurance and I get money added to my health care spending account for steps accumulated. I'd much prefer using some other tool even if it was less accurate.

I've also heard a lot of people love RunKeeper which I believe is free? I am pretty sure I downloaded it but haven't tried it yet.

pnkrckpixikat
09-02-2013, 05:53 PM
I really like the endomondo app, its free but offers an subscription as well, I haven't upgraded so IDK what it adds.

It does pretty much everything that the app wannabeskinny mentioned for free. the only thing idk if it does is the chime function. but it does track a lot more than running walking and biking. I also believe that if you get a heart rate monitor that it can sync with that to give you a more accurate cal count etc.

seaurchin
09-02-2013, 06:07 PM
i loke endomondo too. It also syncs with MyFitnessPal.com.

mariposssa
09-02-2013, 06:40 PM
I have the Fitbit One and I love it. I immediately clip it to my bra every time I change it and never have to thing about it again. I have it set with an alarm for around after dinner to remind me to get moving. Another one is set for 11pm so I can check my steps and see if I still need to get more steps in to reach my daily goal. It have it set to auto synch with MFP, SP, Walk with Walgreens and Every Move. The last two give you rewards points for steps you earn. I have earned a free $10 gc at Walgreens and donated $25 to Make a Wish Foundation at Every Move.