100 lb. Club - freaking out over a gain...help!




View Full Version : freaking out over a gain...help!


suzie76
06-23-2003, 07:36 AM
I went way off track yesterday. Stupidly got on the scale this morning, and gained 2.5 pounds. Yes, I know it's not that much-but how do you gain that much overnight? Of course if I lost that overnight I wouldn't question it!

I'm mad at myself, and feel like I'm not going to reach my next goal-which is to get under 200. I haven't seen that number in ten years. On Sunday I was 217, today at 219.5. I know if I stay on track for a few days, the weight will come back off. But I feel like I keep going backwards. I don't want to have to re-lose anything. I was determined to be in onederland by Labor Day,and I don't know if it's possible now. I'm just so disgusted by myself...

Sherry


Sandi
06-23-2003, 09:17 AM
Hey girl...your not alone. I was so on track last week - I was down 5 lbs on Friday. But due to a piggy weekend, I was only down 2.5 lbs this morning.

You know the answer. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off. Let the gain roll off your back. And focus. You can meet your goal!! I know you can!!! :D And so can I. Together we will do this!

Leenie
06-23-2003, 10:12 AM
Breath Deep !!!!

You gained because you went off track, maybe you ate to much salt and your body is saying WHOOOOOOOAH !!! If you ate something gasy you will also bloat up. Gas will do it too.

My hubby always starts out mondays 2 - 3 lbs heavier then he was. By Wednesday he's back to normal, because on the weekends he likes to have a cocktail and he also eats hardier then the week.

Don't worry, it will come off quick, one splurg isn't going to ruin you.

Hugs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pssssssst.... Since your in NJ, I'll meet you at the GS Mall and kick your tookas !!!!! now get back on track :lol: HUGS !!


matt_H
06-23-2003, 10:28 AM
Its just your body retaining water plus normal weight fluctuations. It is impossible to actually gain 3 pounds in 1 day (you would have had to eat an additional 10,500 calories!).

Scales fluctuate wildly day to day. Its the major trend that matters. I bet you that in a couple of days your weight will be back to where you think it should be...

someone somewhere somehow is going to invent a scale that only weighs fat, not water, not muscle, but pure blubber.

SuchAPrettyFace
06-23-2003, 10:47 AM
Matt, I think that's your million dollar idea. :D

I agree. I don't think you could've gained that much overnight. You're doing your exercises & watching what you eat for the most part & keeping up w/your water--you will be in Onderland soon, DEFINITELY before I am. You've come a long way, baby, don't be so hard on yourself!

Goddess Jessica
06-23-2003, 01:56 PM
For the love! Get off the scale!

I gain about 4 pounds from 6am to 6pm EVERYDAY!

Weigh yourself once a week if all it is doing is defeating you. Use the tape measure, it's much more accurate.

You had a bad day, make it a great week! You're bad day isn't going to keep you from making your goal if you are "good" the rest of the time. Give yourself a break. We're much too hard on ourselves. Giving up will surely make the goal impossible.

You WILL do it.

Sheila53
06-23-2003, 02:22 PM
Ditto, ditto, ditto to what everyone else has said.

"Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again!" (My years of listening to my mom's music are paying off.)

colz85
06-23-2003, 02:37 PM
I hear ya. I was thrilled to find another pound gone on Saturday, less thrilled that it seemed to be back on Sunday. (same scale...the dr type scale at the Y)

So I'm just gonna consider it a "fluctuation".

My husband and I both work in radio, and when a rating book comes in with lower numbers than we had hoped, we are quick to say "it's just one book. must be an anomaly".

So that's what I'm calling the gain. ;) Yours too, probably!

Colleen

suzie76
06-23-2003, 04:08 PM
Hi,

Thank you all so much for your support! I know I should stay off the scale, but I just can't seem to do it. I'm staying more on program today, though. It's weird, there are times I cheated for three days straight and didn't gain, and other times I'd cheat and still lose. It's very weird.

thanks again,
sherry

jiffypop
06-23-2003, 09:48 PM
sorry to be so late with this...

everyone's right. and if it helps, here's what a dietician once told me [and it's the single useful thing any dietician has said to me!] that if a person follows the 80/20 rule, he/she would meet the weight loss goal and maintain it.

and there are two parts to this rule: eat until you're 80% full. and eat what you SHOULD 80% of the time, and what you WANT the other 20%.

so, an occasional 'blown' weekend won't matter. and that 2.5 pounds you gained is water. drink more water, and stay off the salt, and it'll disappear.

no doubt about it... gaining so much so fast sucks. i've been known to gain 5 pounds overnight!

hi leenie!!!!!!!! nice to see you