Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-31-2013, 09:24 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/Ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

Default Riding a bike

I am embarrassed to post this, but I have a confession: I never learned to ride a bike. I would love to learn but am so embarrassed to be seen at almost 30 years old trying to learn...When I was little I was scared to fall, so I never tried and by the time I was older and braver (teens/adulthood) I was embarrassed and refused to even try because of that.

Do you have any tips on learning as an adult? I have googled and read articles. I even tried coasting using my mom's bike but it was way too tall and I could barely touch the ground with my tip toes so I naturally fell and hurt myself first thing. lol

I want to buy a bike, at least a cheap walmart one to start with but I don't know what size to get (I'm 5'3 if that helps) and don't want to waste the money and give up on it.
MAK247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:00 AM   #2  
Susan

S/C/G: 200/170/130

Height: 5' 5"

Have you tried to see if there are adult biking courses in your area? I know Transport Canada offers such courses in most major centres here in Canada, but I'm not sure where you are.
Tuscany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:19 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 214.4/170/165

Height: 5'6"

Borrow a bike from someone who is the same size as you, and make sure your feet touch the ground. Leanr how the gears and brakes work. Then, have someone help you balance, and take it one pedal stroke at at time Do this on grass, so you won't get scraped. Don't be embarrassed, it's all about you learning, and feeling comfy on the bike. And alsways wear a helmet!! If you rn into trouble, you local bike shop could help, too

Good luck!!!!
MidgieMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:42 PM   #4  
beautiful bright soul :)

S/C/G: 296 / 171 / 150

You've already gotten two great pieces of advice, so all I will offer in the meantime is good luck and have fun! Even though I feel easily self-conscious too, I think you should be celebrated for learning to ride a bike as an adult! I know I certainly am happy for you and proud of you, and I bet others will be, too! Besides, most people are too concerned with their own worlds to care very much about what goes on around them. You ride that bike and rock it. I hope you have a great time and yes, definitely make sure your feet can touch the ground! A properly adjusted bike is key.

Last edited by belovedspirit; 08-31-2013 at 12:42 PM.
belovedspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:27 PM   #5  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

I think it's awesome you're interested in learning to ride!

I second the recommendation to borrow a bike, because I would say start with the smallest bike you can reasonably ride (as in, your knees are not hitting the handle bars). It will be easier to balance at first with a lower center of gravity. Then when you are ready to buy one, buy the appropriate size.

Another option would be to find someone to rent a tandem bike with you. My MIL never learned to ride but she rides a tandem with my FIL. You can get the idea of pedaling and balancing with a helper.

Happy riding!
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:11 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 170/161/130

Height: 5'1"

If you have a bike shop in your area I'm sure they'd help you. Don't be embarrassed about it. They'll be thrilled that you're interested in riding.

You can do it! There's nothing like the wind in your hair while riding on a nice day!
EllieFunt is offline   Reply With Quote