General chatter - What "fat person" things have you vowed never to do again?

20lbtogo
08-28-2013, 05:34 PM
I'm just curious, I have a friend who lost weight and I mentioned us grabbing some food and driving somewhere. She replied that she has vowed never to eat in the car because that is a "fat person" thing. She asked me if I had any similar "fat person" things I refuse to do. For another friend it is wearing sweatpants. She doesn't own any and refuses to ever wear them again. I cannot think of one myself except for eating Hamburger Helper but I think that is pretty specific to being fat, not just an associated behavior like wearing sweats or eating in the car.

So, I'm curious, anyone else have some "fat person" behaviors that they have sworn to never do again???

HelloNurse
08-28-2013, 05:43 PM
We no longer eat in the living room or car; only in the dining room. There is no excuse why we're so hungry that we have to eat wherever we happen to be at that moment. If we're on a road trip and we get hungry, we stop and eat either in the restaurant or at the very least we sit outside. It doesn't cost you that much time, and it's a nice break on the road anyway.

I have also vowed never to wear pants with an elastic waist band. I will also never again pair an obvious summer dress with a cardigan in December and try to pass it off as a fashion statement instead of admitting the the dress is loose and forgiving and none of my pants fit.

alaskanlaughter
08-29-2013, 01:18 AM
buying junk food and eating it all and hiding the evidence....unfortunately ive done that twice :( not recently but I have....

and I dread being heavy enough where my belly fat gets tucked into my pants :( ive always promised myself I will NEVER let myself get that fat

PreciousMissy
08-29-2013, 11:28 AM
This is a great question. I really don't have an answer. I never thought of the things I do as being "fat behavior". Well, aside from eating too much, lol.

NJChick78
08-29-2013, 04:02 PM
Stopping for drive thru food on my way home from work to "hold me over till I get home".

IanG
08-29-2013, 04:14 PM
Stopping for drive thru food on my way home from work to "hold me over till I get home".

lmao. I used to do that. I would order two big macs, large fries and a large shake and eat them in the car. I'd then get home, wait a few hours and have dinner!

Underwater
08-29-2013, 04:26 PM
Eat only to make sure I'm not hungry later.

I've realized if I get hungry later, I'll just eat then. I don't need to store food in my stomach like I'm going into hibernation. We live in America - there is always something to eat nearby if I get hungry!

mariposssa
08-29-2013, 04:45 PM
I quit sitting on the couch. Seriously, never do it. I bought a stability ball and I sit on it and do exercises if I watch DVRd shows. Sometimes, I march or jog in place, sometimes I do yoga or stretches on the floor or dance during the commercials. But, I haven't been a couch potato and haven't even sat on the couch since December.

Arctic Mama
08-29-2013, 05:10 PM
No sitting in the kitchen eating frosting with a spoon. Fortunately I'm both better controlled AND low carb these days, so I eat at the table (95% of the time) and frosting doesn't interest me anymore.

Now. Peanut butter, on the other hand... :o

need2loseit
08-29-2013, 06:02 PM
I will NEVER again drink my calories. I do not necessarily consider this a FAT behaviour, but I KNOW it made me fat. I easily drank 10 FULL calorie sodas a DAY! Now, I am down to 1-2 diet sodas, but I know I will NEVER again drink my calories. I like food too much!! :D

CherryPie99
08-29-2013, 06:23 PM
I will never go to Walmart again dressed like a person that could end up on the "people of Walmart" site!!!!

KatMarie
08-29-2013, 06:27 PM
I no longer scarf down food directly out of the packaging. If I'm going to eat a little ice cream, I measure out a serving...not just grab the carton and a spoon and eat till I can't eat any more. Even things like grapes, measure out a serving and put them in a bowl, sit down and eat. Mindless inhaling of food...never again.

monmis12
08-30-2013, 07:16 AM
I wore the same clothes every day for days at a time. I would go through months where only one pair of pants fit. I was away at college without a car and an hour from clothing stores. For me, this was a fat behavior because my weight prevented me from wearing what was in my closet(I had other clothes, I just gained and couldn't fit into them). It was all wrapped up together with my low self-esteem. I didn't take much pride in my self back then and that is directly connected to my weight.

Wannabeskinny
08-30-2013, 07:57 AM
I've forced myself to look at different parts of the menu instead of the meat/potatoes or sandwich/fries choices I always always gravitated to. I'm finding fun ordering salads, or grilled fish nowadays. I also realized that I don't like french fries nearly as much as I thought I liked french fries. I just always ordered them and have figured out that I've outgrown the need for french fries. I'm happier with asparagus or roasted veggies.

I quit sitting on the couch. Seriously, never do it. I bought a stability ball and I sit on it and do exercises if I watch DVRd shows. Sometimes, I march or jog in place, sometimes I do yoga or stretches on the floor or dance during the commercials. But, I haven't been a couch potato and haven't even sat on the couch since December.

I'll have to try that! I'm so addicted to my couch in the evenings, it's like the only way for me to relax. I'm calling bull*** on my need to do this. I have purchased a little mini stepper that fits under the couch that I can pull out but I can't spend too long on it. A stability ball is a really good idea! Occassionally I'll pull out my mat and do stretches/yoga if I didn't get to them earlier in the day.

newleaf123
08-30-2013, 08:25 AM
I have vowed to never again hide candy or evidence of having eaten candy. I should be able to be open about what I choose to eat. If I can't be honest about it, then something is wrong.

EllieFunt
08-30-2013, 09:47 AM
I no longer buy binge foods to eat when my family isn't around. (Also no more sweatpants in public or eating in the car)

Rhiko
08-30-2013, 10:35 AM
Eating so that I get fat. Does that count? lol I have forgone all takeouts like McDonald's, Burger King etc (the ones with the greasy food and fake--sauce--flavour to them).

It's tough to answer because what does a fat person do that a skinny person doesn't? Anyway, before I antagonise anyone, I'll stop here (because I dislike stereotypes like there's no tomorrow!) :)

Krazy
08-30-2013, 10:53 AM
No more yoga pants. I probably have about 20 pairs of them :D

MarjorieMargarine
08-30-2013, 01:10 PM
Going to TWO fast-food restaurants to get things I liked from both of them. There were times when I was with my ex husband that we would go by taco bell and get a dozen tacos and then go by a donut place and get a dozen donuts and go to town. That's ridiculous.

Elladorine
08-30-2013, 01:24 PM
Ok, this will sound really weird, but I'm very conscious about how I tie my shoes. I once read someone saying that you could always tell a person was obese when they tied their shoes on the side (as if you couldn't tell otherwise).

http://whatfatpeopledontlike.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/sidelace.jpg?w=276&h=255

The reason being of course that it is a sign the person had trouble bending over to tie the shoes and instead brings the foot over their opposite leg in order to reach. I used to be one of those people, so I very consciously bend over and make sure I tie them in the center.

Crazy how our minds work. :dizzy:

Mrs Snark
08-30-2013, 01:27 PM
I definitely avoid eating in the car, which used to be a major crime scene for secret binging. I will eat in the car with another person if we are on a road trip or something, but never alone.

shishkeberry
08-30-2013, 01:45 PM
No more eating in the car is a rule I need to make. I've had too many secret junk food binges while out running errands.

diamondgeog
08-30-2013, 02:01 PM
Definitely staying away from fast food. It wasn't my only problem, but was a big one. I used to go to Whataburger and get their A1 burger meal. It was just around a dollar more than a cheeseburger meal. But you got 2 patties, 2 cheese, and bacon, and the sauce. Goodness knows how many carbs that was with fries?

And then because I am carb sensitive I would feel hungry way too soon and also too tired to exercise. Cutting out fast food won't make you exercise but it is a heck of a lot easier to do if you want to.

I personally also include Subway as unhealthy fast food. Their bread uses a chemical banned in Europe and that gets you 15 years in jail in Singapore. Bread has a ton of carbs. Some not all their meats have nitrates and all or virtually all have MSG. I suppose their veggies are ok but surrounded by bad stuff.

I still go to a place called Freebirds which is awesome and healthy and had a five guys burger in lettuce wrap which was delicious. But no more Whataburger or Subway.

archaic1
08-30-2013, 04:50 PM
OMG, these are amazing tips! I do almost all of these things. Some of these things I've done today hahaha. *is wearing a pair of pants with an elastic belt and also ate in the office instead of the dining room... often doesn't wait to go home to eat* I am going to write these down and tape them to my computer to remind me not to do them!

Diamondgeog, do you know anything more about the chemical in subway's bread?? I never heard of this. Also, hello from a fellow geog grad student!!!

JeniH
08-30-2013, 05:30 PM
God this is embarrassing but I've vowed to never again order so much food at a drive thru that I feel the need to order 2 different drinks so people will think the food is for 2 people vs 1 (me). :moo:

diamondgeog
08-30-2013, 06:34 PM
SUBWAY uses azodicarbonamide which is banned in Europe+gets you 15 years in jail in Singapore. It is in the bread as a preservative. Europe operates differently, something has to be proven safe. In the US it has to be proven harmful before removed but can be used for decades before that.

It has been linked to asthma. The American Heart Association even calls some of the subs healthy, but not for me with that bread and the stuff that goes into their meats.

Enjoy geography grad school, it is a fun time.

archaic1
08-30-2013, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the information! That is really disturbing. I know that the EU has a similar no tolerance for GM foods and there are some that have pesticides built into them o_x no way of telling what you are getting when you eat out!!!

Thank you also for your good wishes for graduate school! My biggest problem is that my department LOVES going out for beer so I need to make sure I build room for beer in my diet rofl.

AwShucks
08-30-2013, 10:15 PM
I vow never to wear an open button-up shirt over a tank or T-shirt -- kind of as a jacket. To hide the fact that the T-shirt is too tight and I don't want my rolls to show. I always hated that look, but fell back on it in desperate need to try to look presentable.

Also, I won't buy black knit pants, except to wear to the gym. I've had FAR too many pairs of those!

Good thread... This is really something to consider as we lose weight. I'm finding it inspirational!

Trudiha
08-31-2013, 05:03 PM
I will only buy one bar of chocolate at a time. This has totally put me off buying chocolate as I never really want one bar, unless I'm going to properly binge, it just doesn't seem worthwhile.

Bloopers
09-01-2013, 01:12 AM
This is only ME, not necessarily 'fat' behavior, but I vowed to stop complaining about being fat and instead, actively doing something about it. I used to complain and would sometimes cry in fitting rooms for looking the way I did and not fitting into the clothes I wanted to fit into, but not anymore. I haven't lost much, but I can say that my attitude towards health/fitness has changed 180 degrees. I am much more optimistic now and happier in general... I think it has to do with working out. Nothing beats a good work out, going home to shower, and having a good night sleep after a long day.

But yeah, that, and no more unhealthy food choices aka fast food. I also don't overeat or eat when I'm not hungry.

Wannabeskinny
09-01-2013, 06:48 AM
No more eating in the car is a rule I need to make. I've had too many secret junk food binges while out running errands.

Wow, I never thought about it this way. I've always suffered from secret car binges and I never thought to make a rule of "no eating in the car." This could be life changing :D

mhill0823
09-05-2013, 04:47 PM
I wear dresses or the same pair of work pants everyday because nothing else fits right, I will vow to lose enough weight to not have to hide under my dresses, no matter how cute they are!:)
and I vow to never pick up drinking sweet tea and coffee again, it's not worth it!

No sitting in the kitchen eating frosting with a spoon. Fortunately I'm both better controlled AND low carb these days, so I eat at the table (95% of the time) and frosting doesn't interest me anymore.

Now. Peanut butter, on the other hand... :o

I seriously used to do this WAY too often. It was so sad but so good at the same time! Every ounce of me wishes I could kick my addiction to sweets though!:)

I caught myself doing this the other day, well wanting to, and I stopped myself.

I will never go to Walmart again dressed like a person that could end up on the "people of Walmart" site!!!!
I just can't give this one up:)

Keywis25
09-05-2013, 04:50 PM
I will not wear jeans with an elastic waistband and I will not hide my eating as if it is shameful

aka8941
09-05-2013, 05:31 PM
this is embarrassing but eating in bed is one of my fat behaviors. I can't sit up to eat? really?!

MrsKevin
09-06-2013, 02:16 AM
Haven't seen this one yet---

I will never ....

avoid taking a photo with family or loved ones because I'm ashamed of my weight. :(

True story: I have only one child (DD, now age 20) and I have VERY few photos with her when she was a baby and growing up because I don't like my photo taken because of my size. The same with my beloved husband, who I lost earlier this year to kidney cancer. Very few photos with him and I because I was secretly ashamed how how I looked, so I always offered to be the picture taker so I wouldn't have to be IN the photo.

Wow, this thread is sure a soul-searcher, isn't it? Thanks to all who have have posted their thoughts and feelings.

:hug: MrsKevin

Leaves
09-06-2013, 03:44 AM
MrsKevin, I totally relate to that one, I've made conscious effort to be in more photos this year. It's sad, my mum always tries to avoid being in photos too or deletes them saying she looks too fat and I keep trying to argue with her that when she's gone we won't have any photos. I'd rather have fat photos than no photos.

Warrior
09-06-2013, 06:03 AM
[B]Haven't seen this one yet---

I will never ....

avoid taking a photo with family or loved ones because I'm ashamed of my weight. :(

True story: I have only one child (DD, now age 20) and I have VERY few photos with her when she was a baby and growing up because I don't like my photo taken because of my size. The same with my beloved husband, who I lost earlier this year to kidney cancer. Very few photos with him and I because I was secretly ashamed how how I looked, so I always offered to be the picture taker so I wouldn't have to be IN the photo.

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband. :( :hug:

I totally understand! I always do my best to avoid being in photos. Every year at Christmas we get pretty much forced to have family photos (because my aunty sends them to our family who live overseas) and I absolutely hated it! I absolutely hated standing there with my family thinking "oh my god I bet I'm going to look SO disgusting in this photo" but I don't have to worry as much this year, so it's really good. :D

Wannabeskinny
09-06-2013, 07:39 AM

I will never ....

Wow, this thread is sure a soul-searcher, isn't it? Thanks to all who have have posted their thoughts and feelings.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wMRWPZL/weight.png
(http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wMRWPZL/)

I'm sorry to hear about your husband. That puts things into perspective doesn't it?

While I too fear photos taken of me, I know that in the past when I've thought photos of me were terrible I actually look back on now and can appreciate the beauty I had at the time. I now see my old self as young, skinnier, bright-eyed, dewy skin, healthy self but at the time I felt about myself as I do now --- fat!

sontaikle
09-06-2013, 08:05 AM
Letting myself get ravenous.

When I stay ahead of my hunger, it's much easier to control my portion sizes. I know when I get hungry and what to eat if I can't eat at that usual time.

MedChick87
09-07-2013, 01:03 PM
I'm sorry, but I can't get on board with the sweatpants thing. I LIVE in sweatpants, not b/c I'm fat, but b/c they're so freakin' comfy! I think I would cry if I had to get rid of all my sweat/yoga pants. Seriously.

I do have to agree with eating now "just in case" I get hungry later. I still find myself in this mindset sometimes, and I have to tell myself that A) It's not going to kill me to be hungry for a while and B) I will very likely have access to food when/if I need it. I really don't understand why I'm so terrified of being hungry. Like I live in a 3rd world country or something.

Also just binging in general. I used to binge all the time, I think mostly from boredom and loneliness. Tbh, moving in with my boyfriend has been the best thing for my binges. I'm not going to binge in front of somebody, and when he's around, I don't think about food as much in general.

Suzanne 3FC
09-07-2013, 01:37 PM
Assuming that I have to eat just because I'm a little hungry, especially at night. There are plenty of other things I can do besides eat.

Radiojane
09-09-2013, 01:39 PM
My biggest one is not ordering food in when I'm alone. My boyfriend works shifts, and I would order $50 worth of pasta takeout when he left for the night shift. Then hide the evidence before he got home.

I will NEVER again drink my calories. I do not necessarily consider this a FAT behaviour, but I KNOW it made me fat. I easily drank 10 FULL calorie sodas a DAY! Now, I am down to 1-2 diet sodas, but I know I will NEVER again drink my calories. I like food too much!! :D

This was me too. I was probably drinking a gallon of regular coke a day. Now I'm strictly a tea girl.

Oh god yes. Taking pride in my appearance, no matter my size has to be more of a priority, although I do struggle with it sometimes.

avoid taking a photo with family or loved ones because I'm ashamed of my weight.

Absolutely! This is a huge issue, not just for me, but my mom as well. My dad was well over 700 pounds and she still has fits about certain pictures of him, because that's "not who he was". She can't see past the photo, and because of that, I don't have many pictures of my dad. I don't want that to be the case with my children.

happybug
09-21-2013, 06:31 AM
this is embarrassing but eating in bed is one of my fat behaviors. I can't sit up to eat? really?!

I used to do this a lot, eat in bed, before having a toddler of course. Eating in bed was a comfort to me. I can't say it was fat behaviour because I wasn't fat at the time, but it probably allowed me to eat more than I normally would have.

But a fat behaviour I have no problem vowing never to do again is buying a bakery item, then getting a bag of chocolates to eat afterward just in case I felt like something else (which I usually did but it would never end up being enough). But vowing never to do is one thing, I just need to hope and pray that I don't slip back into my old habits.

katenh
09-21-2013, 07:15 AM

I will never ....

OMG! I did and do the same thing! Iknow have a three year old grand son and a new grandbaby on the way and I WILL be in those pictures..more than a head shot. I also have been known to buy outrageously expensive pants that say they are a smaller size but I know they are a size bigger just to have the comfort of a size tag. When I see this in print I realize how absurd this is and how desperately I was trying to hide. Sigh..well today is a new day and no more of any of these behaviors! Thank you all for sharing and your honesty.

happynottsgirl
09-21-2013, 09:45 AM
I personally also include Subway as unhealthy fast food. Their bread uses a chemical banned in Europe and that gets you 15 years in jail in Singapore. Bread has a ton of carbs. Some not all their meats have nitrates and all or virtually all have MSG. I suppose their veggies are ok but surrounded by bad stuff.

I still go to a place called Freebirds which is awesome and healthy and had a five guys burger in lettuce wrap which was delicious. But no more Whataburger or Subway.

So nice to know that others are aware how unhealthy Subway is! They are the best example of misleading advertising imo. I think it is really evil how they portray to be halth-conscious eatery, but really Subway is no better than any other fast food joint. I consider them worse because they purposely mislead consumers. For example, they DO NOT offer whole wheat bread, many people think their 'wheat' bread is whole wheat, and that their pizzas are made with whole wheat crust. I had a friend who had to be hospitalized after food poisoning, and Subway turned out to be the culprit. Any leftovers are not thrown out, but e.g. the new salad gets mixed in with the old etc.

I hate the Subway store smell! I read this is done on purpose to lure customers in ??

Avezy44
09-25-2013, 06:30 PM
I no longer keep snacks in my bedroom (I live with 3 people) and if someone wants a bite of something or I am not comfortable eating a whole I share. I used to have a massive box full of chips, cookies, candie, etc in my closet and if someone asked for a bite of something or I had a serving I knew was too big I would say no or just eat it all anyways.

Jacqui_D
09-25-2013, 07:14 PM
I will no longer view any particular food as "something I have to eat now because I might not get any later." I grew up in a family of six kids with four boys, and at the dinner table, if you didn't take what you wanted in the amount that you wanted right off the bat, it was gone. I think that shaped the way I ate food. If I saw something at a buffet or if I went to a party or even at the bakery in the grocery store, etc., I felt compelled to eat/buy things because they might not be there later. I realize now, I don't have to eat something just because it's there. It's not like I'll never see those thin mint Girl Scout cookies again the rest of my life! I can pass on them and survive.

PUPMOM5
09-25-2013, 07:56 PM
Eating in the middle of the night. My darkest, most awful fat-secret would be to get up in the middle of the night and eat something awful (like a good 1000-2000 calorie binge) and go right back to sleep. :( I could even eat in my sleep.

grneyedmustang
09-26-2013, 02:22 PM
I won't bring home packs of cookies, snack cakes, multiple candy bars, etc.

They aren't allowed in the house anymore because I WILL continue to eat them until they are gone, and sometimes, I don't know how to stop at just one or two. Now, if I have a craving, I buy the one single serving. Once it's gone, it's gone...

Eating in the car is another one.

nitrus29
09-26-2013, 03:50 PM
omg yes, eating in the car!!! I did that for a whole year I think, on my way back from work, I'd drive-thru all those nasty fast food places and eat in the car !! :( never again :shudder: