Old 08-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #1  

Default 42 and determined!

Hi everyone. I'm getting close to my 43rd birthday and am determined to lose 50 pounds. I found this site and love how supportive everyone seems to be. I've started an exercise program and am only 1 week in. Does anyone have any words of wisdom or encouragement to keep me on the right path?

I'd also LOVE to know how some of you created the tracker that you have across the bottom of your posts.
jcw1157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:28 PM   #2  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

Hi! The tracker is available once you have 20 posts and have been a member for a certain period of times, a month, maybe?

My words of wisdom are that 50 pounds in a year is reasonable, given a solid commitment (and I suppose assuming that you are carrying that much excess weight). What are your exercise plans? Do you plan to make any dietary changes, too?

Looking forward to getting to know you. Welcome!!
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:29 PM   #3  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

Welcome, glad to have you join us.
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:19 AM   #4  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Welcome! I was partially motivated this year by the fact that I am turning 46 in October, so I understand the whole age driver. Probably all of us in our 40s do!

You will find lots of advice and support here, and we all understand how hard this journey can be! Check in often!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:59 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 225/202.5/175

Height: 5' 5"

Welcome and good luck!

I started exercising last year by doing the Couch to 5K program. I lost 25 lbs doing that and dieting (nothing drastic, just being smart) last fall and kept it off this entire year. In June, I joined a gym (something I thought I'd never do) and have been going three times a week at crazy-o-clock in the morning for a BodyPump (weight lifting/cardio) class. Have not lost any additional weight thus far, but have dropped some sizes in clothes back into the "regular" sizes.

Probably the best things I did to stick with this have been:

1) Food journaling. There are a bunch of great web sites and free smartphone apps that are easy to use. If it goes in your mouth, it goes in the journal.

2) Find a way to make yourself accountable. This is different for everyone. For me, it's telling my boyfriend or alerting my facebook feed that I'm going to the gym. My first 25 lbs was lost with the help of a 2 month weight loss challenge where I won $100

3) Become friends with your scale. The scale is not the enemy, but ignorance is definitely not bliss. Everyone is different here in the frequency of weighing themselves. I weigh myself every morning, just as a reminder of where I am and where I want to be. It's how I've maintained my initial loss this year, even off an official diet.

4) Invest in a good quality sports bra and good quality shoes. I got fitted for running shoes at a running shop and it was the best decision I ever made. In addition, a good sports bra will make exercise tolerable. Don't just go to Target and buy off the rack, do some research on brands and be prepared to pay a little extra-- but it's soooo worth it.

5) 3FC is a great resource. People here "get" it. So don't hesitate to chime in and make friends.
Liadain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:56 PM   #6  

Default Thank you!

Thank you for the welcoming comments and the great advice. I loved hearing that Liadain lost her first 25 pounds using Couch to 5K. I am in week 2 of that program, and it's nice to hear that it worked for someone!

Thirteen years ago I lost 160 pounds and kept it off for11 years. In the past 2 years I've allowed some to creep back on. ARGH! I'm kicking myself! It's amazing how much more difficult it is to lose weight in my 40's.

For food, I'm not going on a "diet". I am just eating healthy foods in smaller portions. My diet will consist primarily of fruits and vegetables, as well as lean protein.

For me, the problem is motivation and being accountable to someone. None of my friends are very good at that - no one wants to make me feel bad.

I started on 8.15.13 at 179.9 pounds. I'm also measuring inches. I can't wait until I can get a tracker along the bottom of my posts. I love visuals.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:33 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 225/202.5/175

Height: 5' 5"

I can't recommend C25K highly enough! It's such an amazing program. And it makes a runner out of you, even if you hate (or thought you hated) running. Definitely get fitted at a runners' shop for shoes if you can. It helps avoid injury and makes it more comfortable

I'm actually posting under a new profile (as I wanted to remain incognito for a surprise weight loss when I see him at Christmas), so like you, I'm not able to PM on here yet (or add a tracker). Why don't you keep us updated in this thread? I'd be happy to be your online cheerleader
Liadain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:13 PM   #8  
Michelle the Vegan

I also did Couch to 5k many years ago. Until doing that program I always believed I just "wasn't a runner", and I just could never do that. But c25k turned me into a runner and I love it!
Old 09-01-2013, 11:16 AM   #9  

I love and hate c25k! I definitely haven't gotten to the point where I enjoy it, and it is absolutely killing me. However, I just finished week 2 and I have lost a total of 4.7 lbs. Yeah! Also, a total of 3.75 inches. Woo-Hoo!
Old 09-01-2013, 11:21 AM   #10  
Michelle the Vegan

Way to go! Lots of people describe have a love/hate relationship with running! It is killing you in the most enjoyable way possible, right?

GREAT JOB, keep it up!
Old 09-01-2013, 01:44 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 156/157/142

Height: 5"4'

I too am a huge proponent of the C25K plan. I worked through it in 2011. I just ran another 5K last night. 5K is no longer daunting. (disclaimer: I jog, hard to say I actually RUN at my 12 min/mile pace) Stick with it, and you won't regret it!!!
junem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:28 PM   #12  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

That's funny you say that June, DH was saying how I was going to leave him behind, I'm like, did you see how "fast" my run is? But it's my run and I own it, I love it.
glad to hear so many endorsements of c25k, when I was a young pup I ran 3 miles a day, will love to get back to that.

kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:33 PM   #13  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I am 38.

My advice is diet is 80% of the journey. So focus on that.

I run 5 miles to 10K a day. But my diet is the most important thing because I can eat so much I could never run it off.

But you've lost a lot before so you have got this.

It's all about low calorie protein and, when you are ready, busting it with the exercise.

Last edited by IanG; 09-01-2013 at 10:35 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:51 PM   #14  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

You're right Ian, when I was younger and jogging 3 miles a day I got to where I felt I could eat whatever I wanted, when the jogging slowed down the weight gain started, so good eating habits are super important (I'm 50, still feel 40-something...lol)

Best to all
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:23 AM   #15  
Michelle the Vegan

For me, weight loss is 90% food management, 5% attitude management, and 5% exercise.