Living Maintenance - Maintainers Weekly Chat August 26 - September 1

BillBlueEyes
08-26-2013, 07:34 AM
Celebrating Dog Health week in this thread. You guys make me miss my Aussie who was with us for nearly 15 years - all but the last one in good health. And today is National Dog Day, no less.

Our vacation starts Friday when we fly west to go see the Redwoods and Sequoias. They've been on my bucket list forever. Or at least as long as when I first saw a car driving through one in Life Magazine as a kid. We just don't have anything that big around here.

ICUwishing
08-26-2013, 08:42 AM
:wave: Hooray, Monday! Yeah, I said that. Wishing all the dogs and their owners good health for this week and the next 51!

We ate our first tomatoes yesterday, a week before Labor Day, good grief! That's darn near criminal. The garden is now in full explosion. DH seems to have forgotten there are only 3 of us, because there are clearly enough veggies for a pro football team.

allison - :eek: Glad you are safe and mostly undamaged!

bill - Those trees should be a national pilgrimage for all US citizens, IMO. They live up to the word "awesome".

Megan1982
08-26-2013, 09:58 AM
Morning all,
Another day of field work cancelled here, this time due to wind. The forecast is for some dry air this week, and for the first morning in a long time I didn't wake up to rumbling thunder. The air actually feels closer to fall here. I like it!

I went scalloping with a friend yesterday for the first time this year, which is late in the scallop season for me. The scallops were big and fat, we got our limit, and ate delicious baked scallops and salad for dinner last night. I stayed up a bit late finishing my Sunday cook-up of veggies etc. While I congratulated myself for doing this two weekends in a row and getting my brain back into a healthier mentality, I lay awake trying to sleep despite being tired, my brain refusing to shut off and going towards number crunching and OC planning of my meals. I really don't want to go there again. Hopefully this was just a fluke. I've tried to be really relaxed and am not counting calories.

Bill, your vacation sounds wonderful. CA redwoods are on my bucket list, too. Enjoy!

Michele, I'm so glad to hear Jozi is ok!

Becky, your garden sounds delicious. Maybe you can freeze & can some of the excess. I like your post-race pedicure idea. One of my coworkers and I have discussed going for a post field-season pedicure this fall. Our feet, well, all of us get a lot of use & abuse in the summer. Maybe I should get a massage and pedicure. I never have gotten a massage but it sounds lovely.

Jen, your zucchini casserole sounds yummy. Have you ever tried it over spaghetti squash? Bargoo, your recipe sounds good too. I never have had much luck with zucchini. Squash vine borers always get to them.

Allison, your rain storm sounds scary! We gets lots of thunder here. I think the really loud stuff worries me more than constant noise. Glad it was just a lot of noise and everyone is ok.

Have a good week everyone. :)

paperclippy
08-26-2013, 10:17 AM
Megan, we had borers get our zucchini every year since we moved into our house....until this year! Now we're inundated. I pulled all my best zucchini recipes out of my box and handed them over to DH to cook this week.

Re: the unusual name conversation from last week, DH and I spent a lot of time when we were picking baby names trying to pick something that wouldn't have any obvious ways to make fun of in school. We started out with Olivia and Allison, then discovered Olivia was way too common, then changed to Allison and Charlotte, then when I said, "I can't think of any way to make fun of Charlotte," DH said, "Charlotte the harlot." :lol3: After that I couldn't think of "Charlotte" without thinking "Charlotte the harlot," so we switched it to Cecilia. Of course neither of us remembered the Simon & Garfunkel song until too late, but at least it's not anything bad. ;) I did google the names to see what the top hits were and make sure there was nothing bad. We discovered belatedly that apparently people have a really hard time spelling Cecilia (Cecelia is the most common alternate spelling), so unfortunately she will be stuck with a lifetime of having to spell out her name to everyone.

Allison, hope you survived the rain storm!

Bill, have fun on your vacation!

Mrs Snark
08-26-2013, 10:25 AM
Bill -- you're going to love Sequoia and King's Canyon area, it is really spectacular!

On the zucchini and tomato topic, I love both. Nom nom nom! My neighbor has been growing fresh basil and every time I see her she hands me a bunch. I love fresh basil with little grape tomatoes and EVOO and salt. I could eat a bushel. Or a peck. Or whatever the right word is for "huge amount of tomatoes".

National dog day! Sounds like an excuse to take a double-extra amount of dog photos today!

silverbirch
08-26-2013, 10:29 AM
My trainer's new baby boy is called Cory. I suppose that's how you spell it. I've never heard the name before and I really didn't know what to say. Perhaps it's part of the transatlantic name-swapping syndrome.

Bank Holiday here, as saef will know. I think I'll go out for a stroll along the river.

alinnell
08-26-2013, 10:30 AM
It's still raining here. They need it up north where the fire is. Bill, I hope you are able to see the Sequoias (are you going to N. California?). Last night on the news they said the fire is close to the trees. It's very sad as those trees are hundreds of years old.

I saw a recipe for a zucchini and tomato tart that sounded delicious. Here's the link if you're interested: tart (www.bloggingoverthyme.com%2F2013%2F08%2F20%2Ftoma to-zucchini-tart%2F).

Off to work to see if our office kitty didn't totally freak out with yesterday's storm. It'll be interesting to drive down there. I wonder how many roads are still closed.

And here's to the health of our dogs!

Mudpie
08-26-2013, 10:48 AM
Good Morning all and Happy Dog Day! :moo: (as close as we can get with the smilies) I don't think we have that here but it should be a stat holiday :p.

I am back from the dog sit tonite and looking forward to cooking something in the way of real food tomorrow night. We went to a yummy BBQ birthday for my cousin last night. I can see how people pack on the pounds with salads. My cousin's wife used 1 lb. of bacon for her potato salad and I found it quite overwhelming. I like a bit of bacon in things as a flavouring but this was over the top. Lots of oil on everything else etc. etc. Good though and I didn't have to cook it so I just adjusted my portions and kinda spread the food out on my plate. What I was really hankering for was a simple green salad.

We are having a rainy day here and I'm delighted - no watering needed this week.

Will weigh myself tomorrow and I'm not expecting any big surprises. :yikes:

Dagmar :cool:

CherryPie99
08-26-2013, 11:00 AM
Morning all,

Jen, your zucchini casserole sounds yummy. Have you ever tried it over spaghetti squash? Bargoo, your recipe sounds good too. I never have had much luck with zucchini. Squash vine borers always get to them.

I actually have never eaten spaghetti squash in my life. I planted some this year and they are *just* starting to have a tinge of yellow to them, so I'm hoping to harvest soon and start experimenting!!

I am torn this week - I really want to have a fast race on Sunday and the best way to do that is to carb load. But that will lead to weight gain. Decisions....

Jen

Shannon in ATL
08-26-2013, 11:13 AM
I love all the zucchini recipes! I never have luck with growing it, same squash borer problem as Megan. I haven't had much luck growing anything this year. My tomatoes have been miserable, I have had too much rain, poor roots, cutworms, red ahpids, spider mites, every insect known to man. I even have something boring into my peppers. I still have a lot of pepper, but only because I planted tons of plants. I'm pretty annoyed with the whole thing.

Jen - any weight gain from a carb load before your race will be very temporary. If it makes you faster and you feel good about that I say go for it.

Have a good holiday today, Birchie!

Bill - those trees are on my bucket list, too.

Jessica - Baby names are tough. There is no way to think of every possible thing that might come up. I like your name choices. :)

Allison - I'm glad that everyone is safe after that storm, that is scary.

Megan - scalloping sounds lovely. There are some things I know I will never do, that is one of them. I always wanted to go to a clambake or lobster boil on the beach though.

Becky - great race! The post-pedi is a great idea.

I'm draggy today. Good weekend, but left it tired. Not a great way to start the week. :)

alinnell
08-26-2013, 11:21 AM
Jen~up until a couple of months ago, I had never had spaghetti squash either. Now I'm practically addicted! DH and I actually prefer it over real spaghetti. I just cut it in half, remove the seeds, and place it cut side down on a foil lined baking sheet and bake it for 30ish minutes. Then you shred it with a fork and put your spaghetti sauce on top. Wonderful and you save lots of calories!

It's been interesting coming into work and hearing everyone's storm stories. We were relieved that there was only one tiny leak in the roof here--right around one of our evaporative coolers so it's an easy fix.

Birchy~Cory (or Corey) is a common name here. I have a friend who's son is named Cory.

Mrs Snark
08-26-2013, 11:47 AM
Jen - carb load for sure. Weight will then come off quickly later. Best/most enjoyable run I ever did was the morning after Halloween a couple years ago. I had really laid into the Swedish Fish in a BIG way (I'm vegan, my options were limited). I think my blood was pure sugar that morning. And I ran like the wind and it didn't hurt at all. 12-something miles and I never took a break and ran negative splits. It was beautiful!

I do most of my running in a calorie deficit. I could seriously feel the difference!

alinnell
08-26-2013, 12:59 PM
The country club where we do the majority of our work, Bighorn Golf Club, sits south of my house, further up the mountain and is right up against the mountain. The flooding was so severe up there that it's estimated there is over a couple million dollars of damage from mud and washed out roads and lots. One home that is being constructed (we're doing the glass) had most of the foundation wash away. Not sure how long they'll take to clean up the mess but for the time being we can't do any work because we can't get to the homes.

I can only imagine what it did to the burned areas. Thankfully those areas are west of us and the majority of the storms were east of us.

traveling michele
08-26-2013, 03:46 PM
Popping in to say "hi".
At work-- kids come tomorrow and today is staff development-- guess where? The Library! So, I gotta be careful about not actually working!

Will hopefully check in later....
Hungry and dreaming about zucchini, spaghetti squash and tomatoes!!

They left for lunch....
so....

I'm really trying to make a push to take some weight off (hopefully). I'm trying to cut back on my calories some. I hate HATE tracking so I've made goals for myself. I weighed 128.8 at WW on Saturday (with clothes on)-- that's my monthly weigh in. I told myself I need to be 126 in September and 124 in October. If I don't see myself heading in that direction I will go back to tracking because I know it works. This morning (no clothes), I was 127.8 so I'm hopeful....

PTA provided lunch for staff in our multi-purpose room. On purpose (pun intended), I didn't go in but ate the lunch I brought. Whatever it was/is wouldn't be a good idea!

neurodoc
08-26-2013, 09:23 PM
I have no garden, nor want one, but I do love my veggies. I'm lucky that my local Farmer's Market is wonderful (though I have to carefully avoid the stalls that sell cheese, bread, honey and jams, etc) and the Meijer a mile from my house has a huge, diverse and constantly-replenished produce section. I do wish that DSs would take to a broader array of veggies. Can't fathom why, with 2 parents who eat EVERYTHING (veggie-wise), they are so d*mn picky.

Megan, send those scallops my way, pretty please! Oh I miss fresh affordable seafood (I grew up on Long Island), and scallops are about the most expensive, aside from lobster. I buy a bag of frozen ones about every 3 months, and dole them out to myself in 3 portions (no one else in the family likes them).

Silverbirch, I'm surprised you don't know any Corys, but also think your trainer is a bit "retro" since that name was way more popular in the 1980s (in the U.S.) than it is now- most of the Corys I know are between 25 and 35.

As for me, not too much to report. I'm on hospital duty this week but it hasn't been too bad, and I've had time to exercise, read and even get my artificial nails filled in (yep, vanity thy name is Andrea). It helps that 15 yo DS was at my mom's for a week (coming home tonight), and the 8 and 11 yo DSs went for a 3 day visit to the other set of grandparents. Last hurrah before school starts.

Mudpie
08-27-2013, 06:21 AM
We are indeed back to summer weather up here - hazy, hot, humid with thunderstorms most of the week. Yuck. I'm glad I don't have to water gardens but I was hoping for cooler weather to try to gather my energy a bit for the full complement of work starting next week. At least we have a 3-day weekend and I am determined to take one day off and relax.

DH is bugging me about the dining room colour again. He wants to leave it. I can't eat in a room that bright. I picked what I think is a much more muted colour (closer to my original choice) and asked him to get a litre and do a small test wall (we have a type of bulkhead that will do fine for this). This has taken 5 emails and 4 face-to-face conversations.

I wish each small decision didn't have to be this involved. I decide and tell him but he keeps rehashing it and rehashing it. SIGH.

At least I am going to finish the shopping for household furnishings this weekend. Whatever is missing will be missing until next summer. Never thought I'd say I'm sick of shopping but I am.

Now I just have to wait for things to be finished, arrange deliveries, and I'm done. I think I will get about a day or so break in all of this sometime at the middle of September.

Dagmar :tired: and :coffee: :hyper:

alinnell
08-27-2013, 10:40 AM
Andrea~I don't know how anyone can dislike scallops! I love them! Granted DS doesn't like any fish unless it's a fish stick (battered) and stuck in a taco. I usually fix chicken for him when I fix fish for me and DH. That won't be an issue in a month, though (sigh).

And on the subject of veggies~once upon a time, DS decided he was a vegetarian. He was pretty little--maybe five. So I presented him with veggies! I had to remind him a few times that he was a vegetarian therefore he must eat them and amazingly he never balked. He tried and ate everything I placed in front of him. I remember also finding Morningstar Farms soy corn dogs and thinking he'd hate them. Nope. Loved them. And I found they're pretty darn good, too. It is the ONLY thing close to a hotdog that I can palate.

Mudpie
08-27-2013, 10:50 AM
It's so humid here the entire house smells like pee. Had to do a quickie clean of the bathroom and never, ever will I take my housecleaners for granted. I had forgotten how odious I find housecleaning (having done it for free for my parents/partners for almost 30 years).

The mat in the front hall is hopeless. Our male cat has obviously been engaging with another male unneutered cat who is spraying our porch. Mishi unfortunately is peeing inside the house to mark his territory (even though he's neutered the testosterone from the other cat is affecting his behaviour). Bleagh. I can take the hose to the porch but I'm going to ditch the mat. DH wants to leave it for our landlords but that's a bit too nasty.

Dagmar :eek:

traveling michele
08-27-2013, 11:16 AM
Allison-- how long was your son a vegetarian? My older dd decided she was one when she was maybe 12? It lasted quite a while-- maybe 8 months! Then she was done!

First REAL day of school here. Kids arrive! Sad story on the news this morning. A local car accident that killed a 16 year old last night. He won't be starting school this morning. Sobering and sad.

alinnell
08-27-2013, 11:33 AM
Dagmar~get one of these ssscat (http://www.amazon.com/Ssscat-PDT00-13914-SSSCAT-Cat-Training/dp/B000RIA95G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377613818&sr=8-1&keywords=sssscat) and put it on your front porch. It'll harmlessly scare away that male cat (I used to use them around my houseplants to keep my cats away). Scares the bejeebers out of them and eventually he just won't come back.

Michele~DS was a vegetarian for maybe 3 months. I don't really remember. That is sad about the 16 year old. There's a story from Utah about a college student who was riding his bicycle on campus and didn't see a slackline that had been set up by other students. Hit it somewhere either at his chest or neck and killed him. Several other students (probably those that set up the slackline) witnessed the whole thing and are in counseling. So sad.

Mrs Snark
08-27-2013, 12:11 PM
Our neighbor's cats keep sneaking into my garage and peeing, maybe I should get one of these ssscat things too!

Shannon in ATL
08-27-2013, 12:56 PM
What is a slackline? Sad about the kid at your school Allison, and the boy on the bike.

Dagmar - makes me want to pick DH up and shake him for you.

krampus
08-27-2013, 01:01 PM
Hi maintainers!

Took cats to the vet yesterday. Lucy (black one) has gained a pound in one week and vet seemed concerned she'd eat herself morbidly obese if unchecked. Dekopon needs a canine tooth extracted - it's loose and this will be major surgery :( I am not looking forward to giving him daily prednisone pills either! Any tricks/tips on tricking cats into taking pills?

Super jealous of Bill's Norcal trip, someday I will see those epic trees too.

My roommate got GREAT small tomatoes from the farmers market - oh my gosh they are incredible. Such a contrast to storebought.

Jen - I say carb load. :D

alinnell
08-27-2013, 01:04 PM
What is a slackline? Sad about the kid at your school Allison, and the boy on the bike.

Dagmar - makes me want to pick DH up and shake him for you.

slackline (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slackline)

Basically it's a non-tight tightrope that is strung fairly low to the ground and you walk on it--balancing. If you fall, you're close enough to the ground that you don't get hurt.

CherryPie99
08-27-2013, 01:13 PM
Krampus - you can get these anywhere:

http://www.amazon.com/Greenies-Feline-Pockets-Chicken-1-6oz/dp/B001FSJCPK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377619647&sr=8-1&keywords=pill+pockets+cats

Stuff the pill into the treat and theoretically they will just eat the treat without knowing they took the pill!

This weekend was a weekend of bargains for DH and I! We stopped at a rummage sale and I got a brand new aerobic step with 2 sets of risers for 5 bucks. Then an acquaintance of ours posted on Facebook that she was selling a practically unused NordicTrak Elliptical for $400 bucks. It will be a tight squeeze in our home gym, but when we went over to look at it, it is a premium one that even has an incline (I didn't know that ellipticals had that) and she said that for us she would sell for $300. DH is going over to pick it up today!

Then DH was looking for new running sneakers and found some Brooks that he fell in love with and Dick's discounted them $25 - we aren't sure why but decided not to question it!

This cheapo loves to get bargains!!

Jen

traveling michele
08-27-2013, 01:27 PM
Krampus-- why does he need daily Prednisone-- is it just short term? I wonder why his canine is loose? One of my cats (Charlotte) had most of her teeth removed (plus some fell out)-- she does still have her canine teeth though-- we joke that she gums her food-- poor thing!

Allison-- that is so tragic. Were they trying to catch someone with the line?

I signed up for the half marathon that is done in my school district-- aack!! I signed up last year but didn't do it because I had a bad toe. It's in October so little time to train. I plan on running/walking it as several of my coworkers walk the whole thing so it's not taboo. Still scared about it as I hate running and I've never run more than a 5K (except the Tough Mudder but that is sporadic running).

TriciaV
08-27-2013, 03:22 PM
How sad about the slackline. I've seen kids playing with those at the park but they were close to the ground. I wonder why it was chest high. I also recall how fast those bicyclists go, it's pretty hilly and they can get up to 30 mph which isn't too safe for pedestrians. I went to a different college but I've been to USU and it's similar. I hate to blame the deceased, since the slackline was probably not marked for visibility. What a terrible shame.

I mean to say we were at Kings' Canyon sequoias this summer, it was amazing, and I don't even think we got to the biggest trees. We started up 100 giants trail but the baby had lost his shoes so I was carrying him the whole way.

alinnell
08-27-2013, 04:53 PM
Tricia~what college? I went to the U of U. My niece is going there currently.

Update on our Sunday storm:

We expected a few phone calls from homeowners with leaks. Fortunately that really hasn't happened--except for one homeowner who forgot to completely close their skylight and of course we can't do much for them and the few inches of rain that soaked their carpet. One woman called today because her roof had leaked and caused a lot of damage to the bathroom we remodeled and now they need to remodel it again (this time they'll have insurance to pay for it).

Anyway, up in Bighorn Country Club, we finished a house there maybe a year ago. Apparently the house sits below road level (it's very mountainous there). Across the street is a ravine with a culvert in it. The street is situated in such a way that both directions go upward--like a giant V. And here sits a house at the bottom of that V when what they're now calling the desert hurricane hit. The storm drains which are designed for normal desert rains are overwhelmed and the water and mud flow toward this house. It builds up at the home's front door where it accumulates to a height of about 3 feet and then breaks the door down and floods the main floor of the house with water, mud and debris (mostly cacti from the surrounding gardens). Meanwhile the water is also going around the sides of the house and then down toward the golf course. The flow was so great that it washed out everything from under their swimming pool and now the pool, with no foundation, is just hanging onto the side of the hill. The homeowner flew in yesterday to assess the damages. He has determined that the home is a total loss and will need to be torn down and rebuilt. He's afraid that with the damage to the pool there has to be parts under the foundation that also was washed away and therefore it is not safe. So sad.

saef
08-27-2013, 09:47 PM
Whenever I hear about storms, I feel a little sick. We've gone suspiciously long without any hurricane warnings yet this summer. But Sandy came through at the end of the season, so I'm not stopping worrying yet.

Meanwhile, the Zoning Board is on recess this month and will resume its hearings in September. We may yet get a verdict on our flood wall. But if they say no, we'll sue. Then again, if they say yes, the neighbors will probably sue.

We have 14 apartments for sale in the complex now and my two neighbors who are selling say they have no luck. As soon as buyers see the sandbags piled up for our temporary flood wall, and hear about the flood, they go home.

Wondering how Bargoo is doing again.

neurodoc
08-28-2013, 12:17 AM
Stopping in to say that oldest DS (15) became a vegetarian at 2 1/2. For real. And for good (so far, at any rate). Which didn't stop him from eschewing tofu, beans, veggie burgers and every form of texturized soy protein under the sun. He also ate only ~10 vegetables for many many years. Yes, he was a nightmare to feed, especially since he prefers to subsist on all the carby foods that I can't eat because of calorie and triggering issues. But we've both survived, and he seems reasonably healthy anyway.

alinnell
08-28-2013, 12:26 AM
saef~I certainly thought of you when hearing about the house that the owner has decided is a total loss. A total loss at over $5 million. I don't think any homes up there cost less than that.

And as for boards--the homeowners association where we own an RV lot which DH's parents live on recently hired a new general manager. Wow. What a difference! Suddenly, for the first time in all the years we've owned it, we are getting news. Good and bad news. Very informative news. We finally felt connected. It was wonderful. And the board fired him yesterday and refuses to tell the owners why. This man (and we met him outside of the park--didn't even know the connection) has had numerous years of experience in doing this kind of thing and no one can fathom why he was canned. Many, including us, contacted the board to ask why and we were all told that they can't say after conferring with their attorney. So many owners are upset at this we don't know what to do. We all feel the board is acting against the owners. It's so sad.

Wow, Andrea. 10 vegetables only? Crazy! But then you hear stories of kids who eat nothing but mac and cheese and chicken nuggets and get by just fine. I can't imagine it, though. I like food and I like variety. I don't know if it is a good thing or not, but DH and I bought a panini press this weekend and I've been collecting recipes. I know bread isn't the greatest when dieting but when it'll just be the two of us, sandwiches and salad (or soup) sounds so much easier.

Mudpie
08-28-2013, 06:35 AM
Beware the sandwich Alison. I gained 5 lbs. on a holiday in NYC by eating mainly sandwiches (it was incredibly hot and salad buying options were limited), I don't think the panini press adds any cals but the buns you start with are usually pretty large.

Bargoo sending :goodvibes: your way. :hug:

I am back up 1 lb. :eek: above redline. Have started drinking the energy drinks :faint: and eating the bread and margarine sandwich in the evening again. I think all of this is related.

I am going to go off the e drinks this weekend :yikes:. DH will be over at the new house working on the painting so I can take naps and be b*tchy and no one will notice. The new flooring is available Sept. 5th so he wants to get everything done before then. It would go a lot faster if he didn't feel compelled to fix every little nick and ding in the walls and ceilings. And to then sand and redo it. We will have "perfect" walls and ceilings and DH will be the only one to notice (I only look closely at ceilings when hunting down the big spiders :lol:). Let's hope the walls have paint on them too.

Going for my "puppy" :love: interview tonite. He's a 10 week old golden retriever named "Maximus". I haven't looked after a young puppy for close to 2 years now - this will be a treat!

Dagmar :cool:

paperclippy
08-28-2013, 11:14 AM
My sister was a vegetarian for about 10 years (I'm guessing approx. ages 14-24). She went vegetarian for ethical reasons, and went back for health reasons. She has always had GI issues and had to reduce the amount of beans she was eating because of them, plus became lactose intolerant so not much dairy allowed, and has a gluten sensitivity which makes protein from grain sources a little more difficult. The doc basically said if you can't eat beans or dairy, you'll have a heck of a time getting enough protein as a vegetarian, so you should just eat meat.

Mrs Snark
08-28-2013, 12:28 PM
I officially got below goal today, whoo hoo! Of course I had already set a new goal before I even got here to my first goal, but I'm a goal-setting kinda gal, what can I say!

Plus, under 150 is really my overall main goal. Everything under that is like icing on the cake. I'm aiming for 139, but will allow myself to fluctuate all over those 10 pounds as long as I am under 150. For me, the hard work starts now, as I've lost this weight repeatedly, and seem to have a hard time not back sliding!

Megan1982
08-28-2013, 12:45 PM
I tried to be a vegetarian when I was a teenager a few times because it was trendy. I never lasted that long. Mostly because I had no idea how to cook many vegetarian main dishes and would just skip the meat and eat side dishes, and be hungry (probably not getting enough protein). I think I would be a much better vegetarian if I wanted to now since I'm much better at making beans tasty and have a better understanding of macronutrients. But I like meat too much. I also love my veggies and can't imagine only eating 10 of them, over and over. Thanks goodness BF loves veggies and salad as much as I do. Even our dog loves vegetables. We were meant to be a family, lol.

Great job Mrs. Snark! :carrot:

Dagmar, GL on the puppy interview. Puppies are just so cute and fluffy. I want another. (Not really, not right now. But they are cute.)

Allison, doesn't someone have to vote these board members into office? Like the owners? If I were an owner I'd be reading those bylaws right about now. Sorry you lost such a great GM.

Jen, sounds like a great weekend of fitness finds!

alinnell
08-28-2013, 12:55 PM
Dagmar~I know sandwiches can be the devil! I don't intend to do many with the thick bread. I've done these with the 100 calorie sandwich thins and they turn out fine. I don't usually use butter on the outside--I spray with Pam. If I do end up doing it with big bread, I'll eat half of one instead of a whole one.

Megan~it confounds me (and most of the other owners) how the board can act like that. Furthermore, having this done when 80% of the owners are gone (most leave during the summer) upsets a lot of us. Really, until people return (October and November), I'm not sure what anyone can do. There's already a recall election going on for two board members who the park voted to be relieved of their duties. One person (who we voted for in the recall) is clearly on the side of those of us who are upset by the firing of the GM.

MrsSnark~way to go!!!

traveling michele
08-28-2013, 03:42 PM
Awesome Mrs. Snark-- what a great feeling!!!!

ICUwishing
08-28-2013, 08:43 PM
Congrats, Mrs. Snark!

bargoo
08-29-2013, 08:48 AM
Bill, Has the packing begun ? Enjoy your trip West, I hope it is everything you are hoping it to be.

BillBlueEyes
08-29-2013, 10:41 AM
Bill, Has the packing begun ? Enjoy your trip West, I hope it is everything you are hoping it to be.
Why, yes, yes it has. I'm wearing my gym shorts and my least favorite, paint-stained, shirt. It's the old on the day before, wear nothing that you might want to pack for the trip, LOL.

I've threatened to bring ropes so that we can climb the Redwoods, after reading the book The Wild Trees: A Story of Passion and Daring (http://www.amazon.com/Wild-Trees-Story-Passion-Daring/dp/0812975596/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1377783420&sr=1-1&keywords=wild+trees+richard+preston). Alas, it's illegal; I'm not trained; I'm not skilled; and I'm not stark raving mad like the folks in that book (male and female). So we'll just look.

Mudpie
08-29-2013, 04:25 PM
Bill Awesome trees! Enjoy your trip!

Dagmar :flame:

Megan1982
08-29-2013, 10:37 PM
Have a wonderful time Bill! I hope you'll share a few photos when you get back.

ICUwishing
08-30-2013, 09:06 AM
Ah, the last week before school starts. DS is busting butt to finish the summer essays he owes on Tuesday. Little bugger is just like me - he waits until the last possible calculated second to tackle something big, and then the whole world falls away until it's done. It's tough to see your most troublesome characteristic show up in your kid! :D He is much more disciplined during the school year so I'm not giving him too much grief. I didn't have to "helicopter" at all last year and I'm hoping that the transition into the big public school won't throw him off track.

I'm pretty geeked about getting back onto a swim team. Running this summer made me realize that I've reached the point in my life where I absolutely must get back to a base level of fitness, and I would rather do that in the pool than anywhere else.

alinnell
08-30-2013, 12:49 PM
Oh my. I just got an email from my brother detailing an issue with my dad. Apparently Dad was in an accident and told no one. He took his car to be repaired and rented a car for the duration. My SIL noticed the rental car and asked my dad about it and he said that his car was in the shop to have the fan replaced because it had been overheating. When the car was fixed, she went with him to pick it up and to return the rental. The guy at the repair place mentioned that he hadn't been able to get a new headlight yet. My SIL questioned this and Dad's story changed to "he was in a parking lot and had to suddenly swerve to miss not hitting a car head-on and he hit a pole." Hmmm. I wonder what he really hit.

My sister is thinking we need to schedule an intervention and take the car away completely. I've told him pointedly that he should be driving and he complains like a teenager.

traveling michele
08-30-2013, 12:57 PM
Such a tough one Allison. Been there, done that... is he due anytime soon for a driving test? We took my dad's car away and he was MAD. He kept asking for it back. I think we told him we were getting things fixed on it and put him off.

I need to do a rough blueprint drawing of my library for a scavenger hunt. I am the world's worst artist. I was wondering if there is a website where I can either have it help me, or I enter dimensions and it does the work? Anyone know if such a thing exists?

Any plans for the long weekend? Not much for me. Dh is in China so I'll be working out, doing stuff around the house, donating blood Monday, possibly getting a massage for my niggly back....

About to have the first fire drill of the year....

alinnell
08-30-2013, 02:18 PM
Michele~Dad recently renewed his license. Being that he was an optometrist for over 50 years he's memorized the eye chart so that won't work. My brother has pointed out many times that due to his age his reflexes aren't as keen as they once were and accidents are caused by this.

I wonder if an online CAD program would work. Try google.sketchup.com

Weekend plans. I'm guessing a movie or two as that's pretty much our normal thing to do. It's too humid (and hot) for golf.

Mrs Snark
08-30-2013, 02:31 PM
It has got to be hard to give up the car, such a tough moment in life! I hope I'll know when it is time, myself. It would feel like giving up freedom.

traveling michele
08-30-2013, 02:35 PM
Michele~Dad recently renewed his license. Being that he was an optometrist for over 50 years he's memorized the eye chart so that won't work.

Yet another thing you and I have in common;)-- my uncle (my only living relative and like a father to me) was also an optometrist and recently retired. He is over 80 now and still driving. Does your dad still have his "girlfriend"?

My office manager had a program and she did a floorplan for me. :carrot: I found some online but they didn't really fit my needs.

I just made an appointment for a massage for tonight after reading yelp reviews. It is in the person's house (guy) but all the reviews say he is amazing and very professional. I'm looking forward to it!

alinnell
08-30-2013, 03:05 PM
Yet another thing you and I have in common-- my uncle (my only living relative and like a father to me) was also an optometrist and recently retired. He is over 80 now and still driving. Does your dad still have his "girlfriend"?

I must have failed to mention it. She finally landed a job...in SLC where he lives. So he invited her to live with him. She's moving in this weekend.

Just how inappropriate is that? She's about my daughter's age (23) and he'll be 92. Granted she'll live in the basement bedroom, but still. Everyone wonders about this.

But maybe she'll be able to tell him not to drive. He listens to her. He won't listen to us kids.

silverbirch
08-30-2013, 03:49 PM
Oh Allison! :hug:

saef
08-30-2013, 05:16 PM
Allison, this is a comedy role for Charlie Sheen's old age that is just waiting to be written. To quote a John Mayer song: "Fathers be good to your daughters ..." Because otherwise they may either 1) be far too emotionally demanding in their relationship with John Mayer; or 2) end up with severe Daddy issues & move into the basement bedrooms of 92-year-old men.

I'll also do some moviegoing over the long weekend. I am the last person whom I know who hasn't seen "Fruitvale Station" & also I like the looks of "Museum Hours" which has been playing half the summer at IFC in the Village.

I'm happy today because my manager has arisen from her sickbed & a two-day migraine. She's heading out into her two-week vacation as scheduled. I always feel a little more relaxed when she's away.

But even happier because the furniture restorer just delivered my sleigh bed. He missed the second anniversary of its drowning by Hurricane Irene by just a couple days. Yeah, he's had it in his workroom for two years. It looks really good. Now I need to measure it carefully & order a custom mattress. It's three-quarter size and needs a low-profile mattress, since the tickbed would have originally rested on crossed ropes low inside the frame. I'm so glad that the waiting is over.

alinnell
08-30-2013, 05:23 PM
saef~you'll have to post photos of the sleigh bed. That sounds beautiful. And I've heard really good reviews on Fruitvale Station but I bet it'd be a difficult movie to watch. Such a sad story.

saef
08-30-2013, 10:15 PM
Here's what it looks like. It's probably from around the 1840s. This is African crotch grain mahogany veneer, which has a feathery, waterfall pattern. The restorer has put a really high French polish on it. You can smell the shellac when you walk down the hallway toward the bedroom. In six months, after it cures, he'll come by and apply a beeswax coating to it and then polish that for me, and that woodgrain will look as deep as a riverbed.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f41/sherryfair/SleighBed2_zps4f608932.jpg (http://s44.photobucket.com/user/sherryfair/media/SleighBed2_zps4f608932.jpg.html)

Unfortunately, it's three-quarter size, as I said, and I will have to order a mattress for it. If anyone here ever buys an antique bed, try to get the mattress with it, or if you don't, obtain assurance that it will take a standard mattress.

For hundreds of years, people slept comfortably in what would now be considered a twin bed or three-quarter size bed. A full-size mattress was considered massive. Now everyone needs really big beds, queen size at least. I wonder sometimes if this is a little-remarked effect of the obesity epidemic, or is it just part of our need to supersize & take up more & more space, like with square footage of houses & SUVs & etc.

I like sleeping in this bed. I feel like a kitten in a cardboard box.

alinnell
08-30-2013, 11:55 PM
That is absolutely beautiful, safe! The grain in the wood is wonderful! I cannot imagine more than one person sleeping on it, though!

silverbirch
08-31-2013, 03:53 AM
Nice bed, saef. What are the dimensions? We sleep in my grandparents' bed (early C20th) which is by no means large but fits into our small 1840s bedroom.

Mudpie
08-31-2013, 07:11 AM
My weekend plans have taken an unexpected turn. My cousin called last night and said that my dad was "on his way out". My cousin is an MD and has seen a lot of people die so I'm thinking this might finally be the end for my dad. I will go up to palliative care this morning and see if I can speak to a nurse or doctor. Not much to be done but wait.

Given our antagonistic relationship over half a century I really have mixed feelings about it all. I'm not sad for my dad as he's made his last year on earth a **** for everyone around him. But I will feel some sort of loss as he is the only immediate family member I have. And he's the next to last (my godfather's still alive out west) of a group of people who all got together after the war, in a new country, and made a life for themselves. They socialized with each other, had kids that got to know each other (on a limited basis) etc.

My dad requested no funeral - just cremation and then interrment. Both my cousins are aware of what is happening so now we wait.

I am going to go on with my life. My dad hasn't really factored into it at all in the last 6 months, aside from my attending his birthday and him threatening me a couple of times over the phone. And my continuing to pay his bills at the hospital.

I'm supposed to go and order our new furniture this afternoon and I think I will. DH's and my lives are going forward and we are going to enjoy our new house and neighbourhood. We got invited to a neighbour's party for next Friday night.

I know how weird this all will look to most people but that's just the way it is.

Dagmar :(

silverbirch
08-31-2013, 09:42 AM
I know how weird this all will look to most people but that's just the way it is.

Yes, that's just the way it is. No business of anyone else. Certainly no place for anyone even to think how it *should* be.

:hug: :hug:

traveling michele
08-31-2013, 11:12 AM
Peace and tranquility to you Dagmar at this difficult time.

saef
08-31-2013, 12:39 PM
I am going to go on with my life. My dad hasn't really factored into it at all in the last 6 months, aside from my attending his birthday and him threatening me a couple of times over the phone. And my continuing to pay his bills at the hospital.

I'm supposed to go and order our new furniture this afternoon and I think I will. DH's and my lives are going forward and we are going to enjoy our new house and neighbourhood. We got invited to a neighbour's party for next Friday night.

How it "will look" to others doesn't matter at all. How it "looks" to one part of your conflicted self, the part that may be wrestling with how much we owe to our blood kin, even when they haven't loved us, when they have in fact berated us, hurt us and tormented us -- that's what you have to make peace with.

What you owe, in my view, is exactly what you've done thus far: You've been paying the bills. As your father probably did for you when you were a child.

But not any more than that. It's a task beyond most of us, to offer love to those from whom we get none. And it's a task no one should take on, to offer love to someone who is attacking us & who's never figured out how to interact emotionally with other people.

Under these circumstances, with your painful history, I think your reaction is the sanest one imaginable.

Mudpie
08-31-2013, 12:42 PM
My dad died about an hour ago. I'm trying to get in touch with someone to see about arrangements but no one is answering the phone there. I'll probably not be posting for the rest of the weekend but I'll try to get back next week.

Dagmar

saef
08-31-2013, 12:53 PM
Dagmar, hang in there.

In my experience, these are the hardest kinds of relationships to grieve.

The rituals after death of making the arrangements are helpful. Something about having a to-do list ...

bargoo
08-31-2013, 01:13 PM
Dagmar, condolances to you, I am sure that you are feeling many emotions right now, whatever you feel is OK, you have done the best you could in dealing nwith a difficult situation.

ICUwishing
08-31-2013, 01:22 PM
dagmar, :hug:

silverbirch
08-31-2013, 01:57 PM
Thinking of you, Dagmar, and standing close by you.

bargoo
08-31-2013, 02:11 PM
Here's what it looks like. It's probably from around the 1840s. This is African crotch grain mahogany veneer, which has a feathery, waterfall pattern. The restorer has put a really high French polish on it. You can smell the shellac when you walk down the hallway toward the bedroom. In six months, after it cures, he'll come by and apply a beeswax coating to it and then polish that for me, and that woodgrain will look as deep as a riverbed.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f41/sherryfair/SleighBed2_zps4f608932.jpg (http://s44.photobucket.com/user/sherryfair/media/SleighBed2_zps4f608932.jpg.html)

Unfortunately, it's three-quarter size, as I said, and I will have to order a mattress for it. If anyone here ever buys an antique bed, try to get the mattress with it, or if you don't, obtain assurance that it will take a standard mattress.

For hundreds of years, people slept comfortably in what would now be considered a twin bed or three-quarter size bed. A full-size mattress was considered massive. Now everyone needs really big beds, queen size at least. I wonder sometimes if this is a little-remarked effect of the obesity epidemic, or is it just part of our need to supersize & take up more & more space, like with square footage of houses & SUVs & etc.

I like sleeping in this bed. I feel like a kitten in a cardboard box.
Your bed is beautiful.

traveling michele
08-31-2013, 04:10 PM
Hugs to you Dagmar. Wishing you strength and peace as you handle what is necessary.

CherryPie99
08-31-2013, 04:35 PM
Dagmar - I am sending my thoughts to you during this incredibly difficult time. I also think that the difficult relationship you had with your father must make this grieving process even harder. You have the absolute right to feel however you want about his passing, and no one here will judge you for it!!

Saef - That bed is breathtakingly beautiful. My husband and I put an addition on our house in 2005 and put a king sized bed in there right away. Even though we are now both MUCH thinner, I have to confess that I like my space when I sleep and he feels like he is MILES away from me and I like that.

Just picked up my race number and timing chip - my Achilles feels pretty okay so I'm hoping for a good race tomorrow!

Jen

Mudpie
08-31-2013, 06:15 PM
Good luck with the race Jen!

Dagmar

alinnell
08-31-2013, 07:36 PM
Hugs, Dagmar.

Mrs Snark
09-01-2013, 12:05 PM
I'm so sorry Dagmar.

Megan1982
09-01-2013, 12:24 PM
Hey, Dagmar, :hug:. You don't need to apologize for not feeling the "right" kind of grief. We've heard your stories about your dad and his treatment of you for a long time. If we can be of any help or support, let us know.

Jen, how did the race go?

CherryPie99
09-01-2013, 03:53 PM
Back from the race - by FAR the biggest race that I have ever been in. 323 people ran the 1/2 marathon and 318 ran the 18.12 miles. I still think of myself as a slow runner and therefore lined up wayyyy too far back.

I spent the first 2 miles trying to weave my way around people and my times were painfully slow.

It was beautifully sunny and about 70 degrees the whole time - a really nice course.

Came in an official "gun" time of 1:45:38. That placed me 41st overall - meh :(. I did take 1st place in my age group.

Here I am getting the age group award...

http://i41.tinypic.com/baii8.jpg

traveling michele
09-01-2013, 05:22 PM
Jen, that's awesome!!!!!

I have a couple of race questions for you. I will be doing my first half next month but am planning on walking/running so I know I'll be slow! Is it ok to have music for the race? Also, when you carb load, is that the night before? I rarely eat carbs now, but I'm thinking it would be smart.

An unrelated exercise question for anyone. I've noticed that when I workout and start sweating, I'm emitting an odor that smells like my vitamins/supplements. Does anyone else experience that? I don't notice it in bikram though when I'm pouring sweat. I was self conscious in Zumba this morning but I have no idea whether or not my neighbors could smell it.

I'm having a weird weekend emotionally. I think I'm lonely. When dh started the China job in April, I was busy with the end of school and then dd was home for the summer. Now everyone is gone. I should have planned something with a friend but I always feel like everyone is busy with their families so I don't ask. I am keeping myself busy though. I'm debating going solo to sushi tonight and sitting at the sushi bar.... Dh comes home in a week and he will be home for a few weeks.

Mudpie
09-01-2013, 05:56 PM
Michele There's a big difference between being alone and being lonely. I find being alone great - sometimes. But too much of it and loneliness sets in. Then DH walks in and everything is fine.

Your DH is away a lot. I think it must get very lonely for you sometimes. Nothing wrong with going to a restaurant solo - I do it while on vacation. I take along something to read though because you never know how slow service will be.

We are off to make the final arrangements for my dad's body. There were problems getting him picked up from the hospital and it took me 4 phone calls yesterday to sort things out. They had another person lined up for his bed and the nurse kept calling and telling me to hurry things up. I am taking along a set of clothes for him to be cremated in - including underwear and socks. Somehow it will make the indignity of yesterday a little better for me.

My dad insisted on no funeral, service, or any such "expensive nonsense". Now my cousin is mad that I'm not having some sort of reception. So he's giving one at his house. I have a very polite thank you speech I'm going to give him. My dad is dead. What happens after that isn't really all that important except as comfort for the living. I'm not going to argue with anyone. I'll leave that to DH :p - just kidding!

He's been a tremendous help with both the new house and with this. He's driving me all over as he doesn't want me to be distracted and get into an accident. :love:

Dagmar :yoga:

traveling michele
09-01-2013, 06:16 PM
My dad didn't want anything either. We had him cremated per his wishes and buried with my moms casket. They are in the veterans cemetery since he was a World War 2 veteran. He had no family left so after he was officially buried, my family of four went out to eat and shared memories of him. That was it.

More hugs to you Dagmar. I think your relationship with your dad has many similarities to mine with my dad. I totally understand your feelings.

Thank you for your kind words to me too.

CherryPie99
09-01-2013, 08:28 PM
Jen, that's awesome!!!!!

I have a couple of race questions for you. I will be doing my first half next month but am planning on walking/running so I know I'll be slow! Is it ok to have music for the race? Also, when you carb load, is that the night before? I rarely eat carbs now, but I'm thinking it would be smart.

Thanks so much! This was a nice course and I actually had fun and relaxed running it!

In our race they "strongly discouraged" wearing headphones. But I did and so did MANY if not most runners. Most people need that, especially in a long race! Just make sure that you are alert so that you can follow any directions for course changes or problems along the route!

I have been doing a TON of research about carb loading and found out it's pretty controversial and not at all black and white. Here's what most people are saying - You should start increasing your carbs -especially complex carbs 3-4 days before the race. You don't need to STUFF yourself with carbs, just get a more then normal good amount in. The afternoon or night before the race then eat a carb enriched, but not LOADED meal.

I started eating more carbs then normal on Wednesday and had whole wheat spaghetti last night. Not sure that it all can be attributed to that, but I felt strong.

Can't wait to hear how your race goes!

For anyone that is interested in my mind numbingly long race report, it's on my blog.

Jen

BillBlueEyes
09-01-2013, 11:12 PM
Sending supportive thoughts, Dagmar, May you find a way to stay your path during the pain and emotions.

I send this from Oregon where I'm off-web, but they do seem to have wifi around and about. I've been out here three days and have seen Gray Whales off shore on each of those days! You just go to the ocean and look. They need air so the blows of steam are easy to spot.