Old 08-25-2013, 05:13 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 221/196.3/130

Height: 5'2

Default Why am I yo-yoing?

Normally I’m okay with, and expect some fluctuations as I work towards my goal. I’ve been losing weight for almost 4 months now, and at my lowest weight (which was this past Tuesday) I had lost almost 23 lbs. I feel wonderful! I feel more confident, I feel better when I go somewhere and make healthy choices, I’m slowly starting to love myself the way I should be loved, and not hate every inch of pudgy flesh.

So why does my weight keep going back to the same spot?

I had been somewhat stalled around 202 lbs last weekend, and by Tuesday I had had a “whoosh” down to 198.7. I thought I was getting closer to a “safe zone” where my fluctuations wouldn’t have me going back into the 200’s (I tend to fluctuate about 1-3lbs every day). I was meticulous with my calorie intake, measuring everything, weighing, writing it down, etc. On Wednesday I bruised/pulled a muscle in my foot, so I haven’t been able to go for my walks, but I made sure that whatever went into my mouth would be accounted for.

And I’ve gained! Ever since Wednesday, I’ve slowly been creeping back up into the 200s. On Friday, when I weighed in at 202, I was frustrated, and decided to let myself take a break from counting (this has worked for me in the past). I didn’t go balls-to-the-wall and eat whatever, I still ate things I would normally eat in portions I would normally choose, but I didn’t weigh, didn’t track, etc. When I weighed in on Saturday at 200.4, I felt better, and was ready to count again. I just barely went over 1200 calories (I had some wine that took me to 1250 ish), and when I got on the scale this morning I was 201.4.

I don’t get it! It’s like the on the days that I actually count and keep track, I gain weight, but on the days where I just eat without monitoring, I lose! I’m not stressed when I track calories, heck the Myfitnesspal app makes it simple. I’m not sure if hormones are playing a part, or weather….I’ve been able to see trends up until this point when I gain and I can’t see anything that would cause it! I don’t even nibble without the calories being recorded, so I know I’m not overeating. My walks weren’t long, maybe 30-45 minutes at 2mph, so it really didn’t burn a whole lot of extra calories either.

Could I be under-eating? With my Fitbit measuring my activity, my sedentary days with no exercise have my average calories burned (for the whole day) at 1850 ish, so I like to keep my food intake between 1000-1200 calories. I’ve been trying to keep it more towards the 1200 calories by adding things like almonds and cheese as snacks so I don’t get too low. On the days I don’t count, while I don’t think I go too high, I’d guesstimate that I eat about 1400 calories give or take.

Ugh…I know, I’m whining I tell myself that my weight loss is not going to happen overnight, that there will be stalls and gains, that I will get frustrated and irritated and just want to go get the cheeseburger from Five Guys that I’ve been craving, with an order of very large, very salty fries. It just sucks.

Thanks for listening Here’s hoping this week is better!
Buffinlovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:52 PM   #2  
beautiful bright soul :)

S/C/G: 296 / 171 / 150

Hugs. that sounds frustrating.
I'd say the weight is bound to come off sooner or later if you keep doing what you're doing. Perhaps your body is going through a phase and needs to figure itself out?
Have you thought about increasing your intake? Just to see if that would help.. Also, people recommend measuring as a sometimes less-frustrating indicator.. scales can be so finicky!
I hope whatever it is gets resolved soon. In the meantime, congratulations on your awesome progress so far and try to hang in there!! This stall will come to an end!
belovedspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:59 PM   #3  
Hobbit-lass

Height: 5'2"

I don't know why your body would be doing that, but it would frustrate me too! I do hope this week turns out better for you!

I've been craving a cheeseburger from Five Guys too. :3
fairandfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:03 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

When you stopped walking you probably altered your body's water levels, sweat off more on days you walk vs not walk. So you held some extra water by not walking.

After a couple days your body found it's equilibrium.

The day you started counting again you had wine, alcohol tends to cause water retention.

Just keep up the awesome work and try not to let daily fluctuations phase you too badly, as long as you stay on plan the scale will cooperate eventually
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:00 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 221/196.3/130

Height: 5'2

Thanks everyone!!

I feel better tonight than I did earlier today, even though I didn't get to use the elliptical due to my foot (I feel the soreness is starting to wane, so either tomorrow or Tuesday I should be able to walk and exercise normally, thank goodness!). I've eaten on plan and counted everything, but I feel more....content, I think. I had roasted chicken breast with corn on the cob for supper, with a tasty starbucks grande skinny cinnamon dolce latte with no whipped cream (it doesn't need it!), and a fiber one bar earlier today. Plus lots of water!

I think it will get better when I can exercise normally again. I might do some arm weights tonight yet just for a little extra movement (plus my flabby bingo arms could use some toning ).

I really appreciate the motivation You gals are awesome!!
Buffinlovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:38 PM   #6  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I know that I've been in the same boat before. Eventually....the weight will come off (unless something is off in your calculations...which seems unlikely). I honestly find that it's a good idea to take a break from the scale. I've had times when I stopped weighing for a few weeks and when I did weigh, I made sure that I didn't have a high sodium meal the night before, nor close to TOM or after airline travel...all things that bloat me like nobody's business.

Also, I think some calorie cycling would be good. Why not eat your 1200 calories but then give yourself one splurge meal a week? It's not for everyone, but when I do that, something happens and I end up breaking through a plateau about 3 days after the splurge meal.

Hang in there and I'm glad you're feeling better.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:19 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 182/145/119 keto

Height: 5ft2in

I know how you feel!!! I get this the week before my TOM and sometimes it happens at random. I find drinking loads of water and one big cheat meal and then straight back on the plan works. Stick with it, it'll drop off
, good luck x
Sheena82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:34 PM   #8  

Height: 5'7"

It is so frustrating when that happens! I don't get it either. Sometimes when I go off plan due to some event or just had to cheat, the next day my weight is down.
But if I do that more than two days, it all comes back and then some. For me it is better to weigh everyday and TRY not to get too frustrated with the up days. I've noticed that every time my weight goes down a pound or two, the next day it is back up. Then a day or two later it goes back down.

But I agree with the others who said to have your calories fluctuate. Due to my schedule, working two jobs, on Thursdays I can't have dinner. This has just been the last two weeks. So I eat more on Wed. night and Friday night and the last two weeks my weight has gone down. Who knows what will happen this week!
CalCounter1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:04 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

There's probably no reason this is happening beyond the normal fits and starts of weight loss. I suggest you not overthink it and keep doing exactly what you're doing for the next month. I'll bet you'll see a significant net loss.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote