Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-23-2013, 09:48 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/167/150

Height: 5'10

Default I got fired today....and I haven't eaten my emotions yet

So I got fired from 1 of my part time jobs today (the main contributor to my income). I don't even know if the reason was legal, but I am banned from the building, etc etc. No paperwork given (not even when I asked...I was told I live in an at will state and so they can fire me at any time and they don't owe me any favors), no disciplinary action (unless you count a criticism on a performance review disciplinary?), and no witness. While I, to use a strong word, truly hated the company and the awful methods they used to make money, I am still upset at the complete lack of respect I was shown as they basically booted my butt out the door. I have an interview already in the works for a totally new field, but what a way to go.

That brings me to my reason for posting here....on my way home, all I wanted to do was stop and get ice cream and chocolate and chips and alcohol. But I didn't. I had a small dinner and am on my way to a bar to meet up with a few clients I had (this job was as a personal trainer at a big gym...the worst part about being fired is not being able to tell all my clients, as I don't have all their numbers). I plan on having maybe 2-3 glasses of wine to be social, but that's it. Not to lessen the pain, not to drown my sorrows, but to be social and enjoy a few drinks.

I have never been treated with such a disgusting display of blatant retaliation and disrespect....and I am still strong enough to say "not only will food not make me feel better, but that pathetic excuse of a boss will not be the reason I feel bad about myself."

In a moment of pain, I have found strength!
Andrea85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:13 PM   #2  

Height: 5'2"

I'm so sorry that happened to you! Good job maintaining your plan. I hope that providence arranged this so that you'll be freed up for a bigger and better opportunity elsewhere.
HelloNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:42 PM   #3  

Way to stay strong and positive through one of life's trials. Better things will come your way soon enough.

:-)
Kaitie9399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:02 PM   #4  
Cat Cuddler

S/C/G: 287/266/150

Height: 5'5"

Wow! That is a terrible thing to go through! I am so sorry that It happened! Good for you for being so aware as to avoid a binge!

My experience is that the worse financial position a company is in, the worse they treat employees.

As previously posted, now you can find a better job with a better employer. You deserve to be treated more professionally.

Good luck! Please keep posting and let us know how you are doing.

Last edited by doingmybest; 08-23-2013 at 11:53 PM.
doingmybest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:19 PM   #5  

Hi,

First of all I am sorry that you will be short on money until you get a new job which I hope is soon .

However, having said that I see this differently than the other replies. You mentioined a critical comment on a review. My question would be did you reflect on this and make efforts to correct the deficiency? This was a warning that things were not going well.

Now as far as disrespecting you-well what you got was typical of anyone that gets fired. Once they decide you have nothing to offer,they want you gone. There are many reasons why this is ,in fact, a wise ploicy on their part.

You mentioned that you hated the company,boss,etc. Well this is one sure way to get fired. People who give you money do not like a negative attitude.If you take the money,I believe you owe some respect to them. If you don't like the way things are done,maybe you should have left.

Anyway I hope you will learn from this so history does not repeat itself.

Good luck in fionding a suitable match.

Sheridan
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:30 PM   #6  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Some days, things just go that way. Happened to me once.

It hurt at the time, looking back, it was not a good fit, I learned some things, and moved on and am much happier.

I know it bites in the meantime, but time will win!

Congrats on not having a meltdown!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:45 PM   #7  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Hugs
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:56 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 200/167/150

Height: 5'10

Thank you all for the encouraging responses regarding not eating my pain!

Sheridan, while I appreciate your perspective based on the limited information I gave, there are many things I did not specify. The "criticism" is allowed by all other employees. To be clear, the criticism was that I sat down on the exercise mat while training clients who were also on ground level (doing ab work, mostly). I reflected and found that standing above them yelling to be heard above the music is intimidating and does not allow for proper observation of their form. I questioned them all on if they disliked my sitting on their level. They all responded that they enjoyed the personal aspect of it. My former boss didn't like it because it doesn't look professional. He wants me standing or kneeling and speaking loudly to attract the attention of other gym patrons. I find that to be humiliating and not in the clients best interests. Would YOU want the entire gym looking at you performing a hard workout because your trainer is yelling "COME ON, YOU CAN DO IT!!! PUSH PUSH PUSH!!"? He does not care about the client's feelings because once they sign their contract, they are locked in. He only cares about signing up new clients. I acted in my clients best interests. While I understand he wants more business and is acting in the best interest of the company, I won't act in their best interest if it affects the actual reason I am a personal trainer; to encourage and safely train a person through physical activity. I could not completely observe their form from standing. I am not surprised by my firing as I believe he strongly dislikes me and was waiting for a reason to do so.

Further, there is no stated rule on this matter. This is his personal preference in training style, one that he allows with others and not me. I understand that I was fired because I did not "fix" what he did not like, which may or may not be legal since there is no precedence. There is just much, much more to the story, including this possibly being in retaliation to previous instances.

So the only thing I learned from this experience is get everything documented in the future so I can take legal action if I so desire. I also learned that I can sleep at night when I do what I think is right, especially when it concerns acting in the best interests of people and not a company.

You are absolutely right that when you hate a company, it's best for both of you if you leave. I've been trying It's just hard when you have people, people who you truly care about and want to work with, counting on you to stay.

Thank you for your hopes in that I will find a better match. I truly hope that as well!
Andrea85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:23 AM   #9  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

-

Last edited by sontaikle; 07-12-2020 at 06:54 PM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:44 AM   #10  

Dear Andrea,

I know there are better things for you in the future.F rom your comments,I know you care about the clients and that makes all the difference.

Let me tell you about an experience I once had in a job interview. I was well qualified,properly attired and the male interviewer was quite rude. I held my cool but his behavior seemed over the top and unnecessary.

Finally he just threw his hands in the air and said I am never going to hire you. His face all red and then he said"you not only look like my ex wife but you have the same personality".(Apparently he had post traumatic divorce syndrome-lol)

I just busted out laughing because thenI knew the real reason behind his behavior and thrilled that it had nothing to do with me.

After this he calmed down and we continued to talk. At the end ,he changed his mind and offered me the job which ofcourse,I refused.Then he asked me out-also refused.Poor guy learned nothing from his first marriage.

What I learned from that is to not take things personally. We can do everything right and still because of another person's personal agenda that we do not know about we can come up short.

I just shrugged it off and moved on. On the positive side, I had a ready answer if ever asked"What was your worst job interview?"

Just a comment on the abrupt "get out of my company" behavior at your last job. In reality the managers are afraid of what fired people muight do so it is really fear on their part and not that they necessarily want to treat you badly. They just do not want to have to deal with your reaction.Also they want to protect the other employees in case you become aggressive. I can understand that and I would want to get out myself. When it is over it is over.

Go out and find a company that is in sync with your values and I know you will be a star employee because you will love going to work.

Everything is going to work out just fine.

Sheridan
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:05 PM   #11  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

I'm so sorry to hear about the job loss (though I can't help feeling you deserve to work for a better company, so good riddance to them), but CONGRATULATIONS on not eating your feelings. So very, very hard to do!!!!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote