20-Somethings - Whats for lunch?

View Full Version : Whats for lunch?

Rechyl
08-18-2013, 07:53 AM
So here i am writing out my shopping list for the week and everything else is sorted i just need to figure out whats for lunch all week.

Here's the deal, it needs to be taken into work where there is a fridge but NO microwave so basically it has to be a cold lunch which let me tell you, sucks.
I usually stick to safe, plain old boring chicken salad. Im fed up with eating salads and they dont seem to agree with me. withing 30 mins of eating one i get severe pain in my stomach, i bloat up and very shortly have to run to the toilet to "release the pressure".

I am trying to follow a low gi diet similar to phase 2 of south beach. Iam quite fussy when it comes to food and will not eat a lot of things including fish (except tinned tuna which i can stomach once in a while), meat on the bone, pork, lamb, duck, olives and so many other things that my brain classes as weird or gross.

Does anyone have any ideas?

sontaikle
08-18-2013, 11:24 AM
What about a food warmer?

When I was working as a home instructor I bought one (this one, actually (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006H5V8RG/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)) and it came in handy in the winter. I put my food in, plugged it in at the houses I worked at and come lunch time the food was warmed up. If there's a place you could plug one of these in for a few hours you could have a nice, warm lunch.

My favorite go-to "warm" lunch was spaghetti squash with chicken, roasted peppers, broccoli, and whatever other veggies I had lying around :)

Rechyl
08-18-2013, 11:36 AM
that is a great idea! not sure i would be allowed that in our open plan office but i will ask!

pnkrckpixikat
08-18-2013, 03:11 PM
What about picnic type lunches? Like a piece of fruit, some cold cuts or salami, a couple slices of cheese or a string cheese stick, maybe a yogurt, and a few crackers.

Rechyl
08-18-2013, 04:59 PM
i like that idea pixikat! I even have oatcakes and laughing cow triangles i could use.
I have 2 days of salads made up now but after that its picnic time!
I could take a boiled egg too and carrot sticks and maybe instead of oatcakes - cut up a wholewheat pita.
I could make fruit kebabs!

More ideas please!!!!!!!!

ERHR
08-18-2013, 06:54 PM
I like avocado in cold/room temp dishes. I mix avocado with canned tuna and mayo or with crumbled bacon or basically any other meat that you like to eat cold. Variations on boiled eggs would also be great. I also often eat nuts as part of a meal or a hefty snack - they are very filling!

Munchy
08-19-2013, 10:16 AM
You can do a cold soup (like the many variations of gazpacho or fruit soups), chili, soup, stew in a thermos which should stay hot until lunch, cucumber subs (http://makethebestofeverything.com/2012/07/cucumber-subs.html), sandwiches made with lettuce or greens as wraps (http://www.google.com/search?q=lettuce+wrap+sandwiches&safe=active&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=bxkSUp2MCcPhygHVsICACg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1024&bih=595), or tuna or chicken salad with cucumbers, peppers, or tomatoes to eat with them.

Depending on your carb level, you could do bean or quinoa salads or buy high fiber/low carb wraps which you can put just about anything in.