Old 08-15-2013, 03:58 PM   #1  
IP Start: 7/11/13

S/C/G: 214.6/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

Default Scale shopping (for body)

Hi all, I was wondering if any of you have experience with any of the wifi or body fat digital scales? These are the ones I am considering the highest:

http://www.fitbit.com/aria (Has an app and connects to MFP; so-so reviews.)

http://www.withings.com/en/bodyanalyzer (Same as above, although I really don't give 2 whats about CO2 measurements.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846 (Cheapest of the bunch, but no app. Mostly great reviews.)

Due to my abysmal WI today, I am seriously reconsidering the cost of being on IP at a clinic. I am going to give myself the rest of August (2 more WIs) to make a decision as to stay with the clinic or go to strictly alternatives.

Last edited by meinola; 08-15-2013 at 04:22 PM.
meinola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:29 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/ticker/165

Height: 5'8"

For $50 you can check your weight and body fat (warning, this can be odd depending on your skin composition...mine doesn't work unless I moisturize). Seems a no brainer to me unless you want your phone telling you something about your weight.
tightwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:30 PM   #3  

I've also been thinking about picking up another scale that reads more exact than mine. (only to the 1/2 lb), I was eyeing that one on Amazon as well! Did you pick one yet?
coloradogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:31 PM   #4  

Do you have to also buy a fitbit for that Fitbit Aria one? P.S. It's cheaper on Amazon if you're a prime member http://www.amazon.com/Fitbit-Wi-Fi-S...owViewpoints=1

Last edited by coloradogirl; 08-16-2013 at 01:33 PM.
coloradogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:17 PM   #5  
Started IP July 2013

S/C/G: 329/265/154

Height: 5'8"

I have been looking at buying the third one you listed the EatSmart GetFit one. I think I read about half of the 5 star reviews and almost all of the 3 star and below reviews and it seems pretty good.
garnettac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:43 PM   #6  
started IP 7/17/2012

S/C/G: 200.5/167/150

Height: 5'4"

Hi, all, I have an Omron 514 - about $70 on Amazon, I think. I love it! There is an old thread on here somewhere on this subject. I bought it last fall and many people here recommended it.
Lizzy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:36 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 156/124/125

Height: 5'4"

I have the Eat Smart get fit from Amazon. I love it, but.......... it seems to matter where you stand on the scale... it can be a few lb difference if you stand near the top of the scale as opposed to the middle. I found that the floor and how it sits matters. I have a tiled floor in my bathroom and the tile is textured, the uneven floor makes a difference. I have to move the scale a few times to get it right. My bath is in the middle of some renovations so once done the scale will stay in its home spot and I wont have to move it. I have to say seeing the bone mass, encouraged me to get to the gym and build some bone using weights. The weights have helped to get that scale moving faster.
sonolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:46 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 228.8/170/140

Height: 5'3"

I just received the fitbit aria scale. It was easy enough to set up. I'll report back soon on how well it is working. I am excited that it integrates with my new fitbit one and my fitness pal.

Update: checked my numbers relative to my official numbers (weight, bmi, body fat %, etc) and it checks out.

Even my husband is using it now. Of course he is in the middle of his ideal BMI and body weight. I've got a ways to go. Ah well. I am thankful he is supportive.

Last edited by Cynaria; 08-18-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Cynaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:42 AM   #9  
Started IP 3/26/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy63 View Post
Hi, all, I have an Omron 514 - about $70 on Amazon, I think. I love it! There is an old thread on here somewhere on this subject. I bought it last fall and many people here recommended it.
I also love my Omron 514.
http://www.omronhealthcare.com/products/hbf-514c/
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:26 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradogirl View Post
I've also been thinking about picking up another scale that reads more exact than mine. (only to the 1/2 lb), I was eyeing that one on Amazon as well! Did you pick one yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradogirl View Post
Do you have to also buy a fitbit for that Fitbit Aria one? P.S. It's cheaper on Amazon if you're a prime member http://www.amazon.com/Fitbit-Wi-Fi-S...owViewpoints=1
Coloradogirl, haven't made the leap just yet, but I am very interested in the Aria scale. I don't think you HAVE to have a fitbit to use it, but I know they pair up pretty easily. Were you seeing a price under $129.95 on Amazon Prime? I have a trial membership right now, but it's the same price as on the Fitbit site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynaria View Post
I just received the fitbit aria scale. It was easy enough to set up. I'll report back soon on how well it is working. I am excited that it integrates with my new fitbit one and my fitness pal.

Update: checked my numbers relative to my official numbers (weight, bmi, body fat %, etc) and it checks out.

Even my husband is using it now. Of course he is in the middle of his ideal BMI and body weight. I've got a ways to go. Ah well. I am thankful he is supportive.
Cynaria, that is good to hear that the Aria matches your official numbers. I think I would also get a fitbit down the line as well. I really like that it syncs with MFP as I want to try and get back into using that daily. Thanks for the info!
Old 08-19-2013, 11:34 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnettac View Post
I have been looking at buying the third one you listed the EatSmart GetFit one. I think I read about half of the 5 star reviews and almost all of the 3 star and below reviews and it seems pretty good.
Garnettac, it does and it has the best reviews of the three (possibly b/c of the price and the fact that there is relatively no setup), but I really do like the idea of the Aria scale syncing with my fitness pal and possibly a fitbit down the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonolady View Post
I have the Eat Smart get fit from Amazon. I love it, but.......... it seems to matter where you stand on the scale... it can be a few lb difference if you stand near the top of the scale as opposed to the middle. I found that the floor and how it sits matters. I have a tiled floor in my bathroom and the tile is textured, the uneven floor makes a difference. I have to move the scale a few times to get it right. My bath is in the middle of some renovations so once done the scale will stay in its home spot and I wont have to move it. I have to say seeing the bone mass, encouraged me to get to the gym and build some bone using weights. The weights have helped to get that scale moving faster.
Thanks Sonolady for the info; I may keep the scale downstairs on my hardwoods if that's an issue. The bone density measurement is a big factor as well. I think if I go alternative and drop the clinic (and the high food costs) I can do a gym membership instead and start weight-lifting.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:38 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy63 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by evepet View Post
Thanks ladies. I saw that one, but hadn't really considered it. I will take a second look!
Old 08-19-2013, 11:49 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by evepet View Post
Oh, and Evepet, can't wait to check out your Alternatives blog if I decide to go that way! Really glad I noticed that!
Old 08-19-2013, 12:06 PM   #14  

I have the Withings Scale and I absolutely love it. My weigh-ins syncs with my computer and I have an app on my iphone that also receives my numbers. You have the option to share your info with facebook, Runkeeper, etc. It allows you to pull your data and prepare report of your weigh-ins. It is well worth the investment.
tawanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:11 PM   #15  

I saw the Withings Scale in the online Verizon store for $99
tawanda is offline   Reply With Quote