Old 08-13-2013, 07:47 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 180.2/139/130

Height: 5'4"

Default Starting Ideal Protein diet next week...advice needed!

Hi all,
I am new to these boards. I am starting the diet next week and I am looking for any advice any of you have for someone new on the diet. I am looking to lose about 40 pounds. I have already started doing the IP protein drinks because I thought it best to try to kick my diet coke addiction before the diet started. I have successfully switched to an 8oz coffee mixed with the vanilla protein drink and I actually like it! I have stocked my pantry with a bunch of WF dressings and sauces in preparation. I am going away this weekend so that is why I am starting Monday. Thoughts, advice, anything you wish you knew right before starting????
Also, how bad are the first few days, really? I eat lots of carbs and sugars now so I am assuming the "detox" will be rough!

Thanks all!!
Kellimomo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:52 PM   #2  
On plan since June 23/13

S/C/G: 197/153/150

Height: 5'3"

Welcome....detox is tough but sooooo worth it.

My little tip for you is to follow the program exactly, drink your water, and get creative! It's an easy program once you get going.
Maxxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:09 PM   #3  
Started IP 6/21/2013

S/C/G: 246/219/165

Height: 5'6"

Like Maxxy said, keep telling yourself, "It will be soooo worth it."

In 7 weeks I have lost 30 lbs, I am no longer short of breath walking around my giant work building (our parking is far away), and I woke up before my alarm this morning and decided to rearrange the clothes in my closet according to sleeve length.... I have SO MUCH ENERGY!

Good luck!
lauran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:09 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellimomo3 View Post
Hi all,
I am new to these boards. I am starting the diet next week and I am looking for any advice any of you have for someone new on the diet. I am looking to lose about 40 pounds. I have already started doing the IP protein drinks because I thought it best to try to kick my diet coke addiction before the diet started. I have successfully switched to an 8oz coffee mixed with the vanilla protein drink and I actually like it! I have stocked my pantry with a bunch of WF dressings and sauces in preparation. I am going away this weekend so that is why I am starting Monday. Thoughts, advice, anything you wish you knew right before starting????
Also, how bad are the first few days, really? I eat lots of carbs and sugars now so I am assuming the "detox" will be rough!

Thanks all!!
Welcome to the start of a NEW you... The journey begins here!

First thing I recommend (if you haven't already) is to read, read, read the forum threads. Read any topic that catches your eye... Especially the daily chat where it works well to post questions since many people read that thread each day.

You didn't say if you are going through a coach. Whether or not, I suggest reading the thread What do you wish your coach had told you? For lots of tips and insights.

Also read the "stickies" stuck at the top of the forum. Also the daily chat thread always starts with a post filled with valuableinks to IP info.

Best to you on your journey...
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:20 PM   #5  
Restart - June17/15

S/C/G: 221/215/160

Height: 5"6

Welcome! I start next Thursday - we can do this! I have been reading through the posts a lot, and saving recipes, etc..
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks all!!
Clarington45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:21 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 177.8/155/150

Height: 5"10

My advice is to drink the water! I LOVED my diet pepsi, so I make myself finish my 2L of water before I can crack open a can.
I am on Day 15 and am about 12 lbs down. It works, just gotta stick to it!
Good luck!
Shrinkmeplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:53 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrinkmeplease View Post
My advice is to drink the water! I LOVED my diet pepsi, so I make myself finish my 2L of water before I can crack open a can.
I am on Day 15 and am about 12 lbs down. It works, just gotta stick to it!
Good luck!
Just to be clear for Newbies... Diet soda is not allowed on IP (Asparatame and conflicts with the alkaline nature of IP eating). Most coaches agree, though some do allow it (house rules they have made at their own clinic). Even those that allow usually limit to one and have you add water.

Again, not judging those who choose to have a diet soda, but clarifying that it is not IP. If it's not on the sheet it's not allowed. (Some may drink it and maintain excellent losses, other may drink it and find it slow ls their losses.)

Last edited by JLUS; 08-14-2013 at 08:21 AM.
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:36 PM   #8  
Joined IP July 25, 2013

Height: 5'9"

The "detox period" for me wasn't bad. Maybe because I'd heard horror stories and was expecting it to be worse. Yeah, I was tired by the end of the day (plus side, i slept great at night) and had a few minor headaches, but I would do it again in a minute. This site is great for support and getting your questions answered. Also remember you can have an extra IP shake during the first week to help with cravings! Good Luck!
Meeshellee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:39 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 180.2/139/130

Height: 5'4"

You guys are awesome. Thanks so much!!! To answer a coupe questions, yes I am doing it through a coach and I already did her intro and really liked her. I go back on Monday to do all my measurements, officially sign up and get my food. Also my coach agrees about the diet soda which is why I spent last week weening off of that and onto coffee/vanilla drink mixed. I can tell these boards will be a valuable resource!!
Kellimomo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:06 AM   #10  
Started IP 5/25/13

S/C/G: 196.5/152/145

Height: 5ft 6 in

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLUS View Post
You didn't say if you are going through a coach. Whether or not, I suggest reading the thread What do you wish your coach had told you? For lots of tips and insights.
Here's the link to the "What do you wish your coach had told you?" thread:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...-told-you.html

Welcome to the IP forum. This is a great place to get information, advice, and support! (Your username is familiar to me, do I know you from another forum?)
bluegirl9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:16 AM   #11  
Started IP 5/13/13

S/C/G: 185/128/135

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Welcome and good luck to you! Ditto to what everyone else has said. Let me reiterate.....read, read, read. The recipe threads are invaluable. I find that Google searches for recipes using Ideal Protein and 3fatchicks.com are the easiest way to find things.

Stock up on veggies and keep lots of lettuce in the fridge. I go through cauliflower like crazy. It i a great substitute for rice!

Be creative and you won't get bored.

Last edited by dak1lls; 08-14-2013 at 08:17 AM.
dak1lls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:30 AM   #12  
Started IP: 1/16/13

S/C/G: 228.6/see ticker/128

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks all!!
For me, the first week was rough! I was very cranky and had a dull headache most of that first week. It is temporary and you will feel so much better after that! I find that I must take time to plan meals and shop for fresh meat and veggies frequently. Drink tons of water, get good sleep and commit to the plan.

Best of luck to you!!
animallover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:27 PM   #13  
knm

S/C/G: 146/146/125

Height: 5'1

Plan ahead! Wash and cut your veggies ahead of time. Some even measure them into 1 or 2 cup servings and place them in mini zip loc bags. The first few days, especially, you'll probably be tired. It's great having all the veggies ready to go so all you have to do is cook them or grab and eat raw.
knm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:23 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 301/290/180

Height: 5'10

Welcome!! I'm going to just nod in agreement with everyone else. I've only been "officially" on plan for a week, and I can say, it's easy. Believe in yourself, and know that you are sooooo worth it!!! Read. Read LOTS!!! I've found incredible information in this board, and have really started to change how I think about food and diet. Also, the daily thread is awesome!! Having a rough day? Got a crazy craving? Those ladies are going to pump you up so much there's no way you won't feel better! (Ask me how I know? Look at yesterday's thread. I was nearly in tears at my desk from all the kind words headed my way.)

I love the suggestion about planning ahead. I've gotten really really good at it, down to having all my meats and veggies in their own bags, menu on the fridge, and next week? Pre-written notes for my darling since he's become the cook in the family.

And for the detox? Personally, I haven't found it to be too terrible. A little cranky, extra sleepy, and thirsty. The worst part, for me, is having to pee all the time LOL!

There's loads of information here, go find it, make a plan, and stick with it! You can do this!!!
ktgrrl is offline   Reply With Quote